Yoga Mamas for August - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 08-04-2005, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello Yoginis!! We're starting a new thread for us Mommys into yoga. A few of us have been checking in for awhile, but we'd love new members!!!

Let us know what your practice is like, what poses you love, what style yoga is your current fave, what you like to read, how you fit in yoga with your family life, anything.....
#2 of 35 Old 08-04-2005, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

I'll start. I try and practice yoga about 6 days a week. I think once school starts, I'll try and work in more cardio to get my weight down, and do yoga more like 3 days a week. I still have 10 pounds of weight to get to my pre-pregnancy. Right now I'm really into yoga to get ready for my yoga instructors training this weekend. I'm taking the level 1 of Yogafit. I'm also taking a prenatal teacher training in March.

My favorite style of yoga is power. I'm also starting some Ashtanga, and recently got some Ashtanga DVDs. My current method of practice is primarily at home. I use DVDs, and I love Baron Baptiste's Soul of Strength workout. I also love Shiva Rea's Yoga Shakti. Yoga for Happiness is great too.
#3 of 35 Old 08-04-2005, 07:14 PM

I have been practicing yoga now for about 6 years. The first four years, I practiced with books, cds and videos. For the last two years, I have been going to a studio as well as continuing my home practice. I try to make it to the studio twice per week for a 90 minute Vinyasa, Ashtanga or Hatha Flow class. My home practice totally depends on how much time I have but I try to get in at least 45 minutes another two or three times per week. I also walk as much as possible (to the store, to work, at lunchtime, etc.) and do weight training twice per week. Yoga is more than excercise to me, though, and I would practice everyday if I could fit it in.
My favorite home practice tools:
Power Yoga (Ashtanga) - Beryl Bender Birch - DVD
Yoga Shakti - Shiva Rea - DVD
Schiffman Live #1 & #2 - Eric Schiffman - video
Drops of Nectar - Shiva Rea - CD
Yoga Sanctuary - Shiva Rea - CD
Yoga Chant - Shiva Rea - CD
Light on Yoga - BKS Iyengar - book
Yoga: The Spirit and Practice of MOving into Stillness - book
movingintostillness.com - website
yoga.com - website
Namaste
#4 of 35 Old 08-04-2005, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Dfoy- I totally love Erich Schiffmann too. I visit his website frequently, and I'd say his video with Ali is one of my all time faves. I've done it several times lately, and had forgotten how great it is. I love his book too. He rules.
#5 of 35 Old 08-08-2005, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

I just finished my first level of yoga teacher training this weekend. It was amazing. It was more than 18 hours of learning, yoga, and practice teaching. Needless to say I'm a little stiff today. Not so much from the yoga, but more from sitting around on the floor for two days while we discussed form, etc.

Where is everyone?
#6 of 35 Old 08-08-2005, 01:28 PM

I posted my favorites & background on the 1st YogaMama thread - but I do have a question. Any mamas have experience w/ practice after a serious injury? To give a little background, I have been practicing for almost 10 years (privately & in classes) and I broke my leg 7 weeks ago. I have been mainly working on pranyama exercies and meditation to relieve stress. I know my back and hips are totally out of whack right now (partially from the fall that caused the injury/partly from being on crutches) and I plan to see my chriopractor once the cast comes off.

Any thoughts/suggestions for easing back into practice? Thanks & Namaste...
Kate
#7 of 35 Old 08-08-2005, 01:31 PM

P.S. Congrats Carole on completing the teacher training!!!
#8 of 35 Old 08-08-2005, 02:41 PM

nursin fool~ congrats on your 1st teacher training! i also took Yogafit level one, and the prenatal/postpartum in april.

shiva rea's "yoga shakti" dvd (vinyasa style) inspires my home practice.
i hope to get to a workshop with her one of these days.

i am excited to say that starting end of this month, i will be teaching a prenatal class at my ymca. i am eagerly looking for additional (affordable) trainings for the future, as well as watching yoga videos for inspiration.

during dd's naptime i have been rereading patanjali's yoga sutras, and i am studying h. dadvid coulter's anatomy book. the housekeeping has complete;y fallen by the wayside, but i need a few days to indulge the student in me.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#9 of 35 Old 08-09-2005, 12:00 AM

Hi All,
My name is Ananga. I'm a SAH yoga mama to our two boys, Nava 25 m/o & Nitya 2 m/o. I became a certified yoga teacher in the Integral Yoga style while I was pregnant with Nava and then became a Reiki master while pregnant with Nitya. Seems each child has inspired me or requested certain things. I found both yoga & reiki so useful during childbirth.

We're vegetarian, love to travel, we cloth diaper, share a family bed, "wear" our kids and all that other great hippie stuff, etc, etc, blah, blah. Won't bore you anymore. We live in South Jersey.

I love to do yoga, but have been finding it difficult to manage my time with a toddler, a baby and a household.

Looking forward to getting to know y'all,
Ananga

Crunchy, treehugger.gifgranola, hippie.gifvegetarian, bi-lingual SAHM to two homeskooled boys.familybed2.gif

#10 of 35 Old 08-09-2005, 12:40 AM

Hi mamas -

I teach one hatha yoga class a week and I sub alot for other yoga teachers, but my personal yoga practice is awful these days. Watching bad tv and eating lime tortilla chips after I sneak out of the family bed doesn't count as doing yoga, does it?? It feels like good restorative yoga to me, but I'm not really sure...

Honestly, I would like to be more inspired in my practice so I am thinking of adding some classes. When I teach more classes I am a better student and I practice more regularly. But my 2 year old daughter is very strongly attached to me these days (clinging and crying when I leave her with daddy), so it is hard to find time to practice yoga (or shower or fold laundry or wash dishes or any task that I would like to complete in a reasonable amount of time).

Does anyone honestly practice yoga early in the morning before the kiddos rise? My fantasy self would do that, but my nursing all night long with two kids and husband in the family bed self would rather sleep until small children insist that I get up and out of the bed.

My favorite asana? Savasana!
Kathleen
#11 of 35 Old 08-09-2005, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogamama
Hi mamas -

IDoes anyone honestly practice yoga early in the morning before the kiddos rise? My fantasy self would do that, but my nursing all night long with two kids and husband in the family bed self would rather sleep until small children insist that I get up and out of the bed.

Kathleen
My fantasy self gets up w/ your fantasy self to do yoga before the babes get up!

I usually practive when my dd is napping or go to a class when my dh is home. (well..not lately - see my op, I have a broken leg @ the moment )
#12 of 35 Old 08-09-2005, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogamama
Hi mamas -
Kathleen
At this moment that's my favorite asana, as well. Not to mention I love "cheese-asana". I barely find time to wash the diapers daily nurse one kid, feed the other, do the shopping, and clean house. I hope soon my practice will reawaken from it's hibernation.

Crunchy, treehugger.gifgranola, hippie.gifvegetarian, bi-lingual SAHM to two homeskooled boys.familybed2.gif

#13 of 35 Old 08-09-2005, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

I also have the fantasy of doing my yoga before the babes wake-up, but when doing the family bed it's hard. I nurse my baby all night, and then she'd wake-up much earlier if I left her alone in the bed. Not to mention, I would hate to be bothered in the middle of my routine to her waking up. Maybe someday, when they're older....

When I'm really into yoga, my housekeeping tends to slip. It's hard to fit in everything. Luckily, my hubby isn't too picky. My house isn't a disaster, but I wouldn't want company going upstairs at this point.

I'm going to be teaching my first yoga class this weekend. I have to do 8 hours of volunteer/free yoga classes in the community to get my certification. I'm going to teach teens at Boys Town. I'm really excited! I figured I should get started now while the info is still fresh, and before I loose my nerve!! Cease the day!!
#14 of 35 Old 08-10-2005, 10:54 PM

hey girls! Been away from the board lately as I have been occupied with a Summer masters class. Carole, great idea to start a new thread and congrats on your teaching! I'm going to visit family in St.Augustine next week and I am planning on taking some classes at Discovery Yoga. I've heard alot about it and can't wait. I do practice in the morning for about an hour before dd gets up but she's 7 and I am able to get a full nights sleep considering I don't bf (haven't for 5 years, that was such a great time). I love erich schiffman and shiva rea an dpractice vinyasa and ashtanga yoga. It's nice to see some new yoginis here.Namaste......Danielle

"While Eeyore frets ...and Piglet hesitates...and Rabbit calculates...and Owl pontificates...Pooh just is."
taken from The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff

check out my children's room in the library:  Hampton Bays Public Library Children's Room  http://hbaychildroom.blogspot.com/ 

#15 of 35 Old 08-12-2005, 01:27 AM

#16 of 35 Old 08-12-2005, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mama729- Hang in there. I know where you're coming from. My first daugther was very high-need, and never slept unless it was in my arms. It'll pass, and you'll be able to get back into your yoga practice on the mat. Like you said, practicing your yoga off the mat is what's most important right now. You need to stay in a good frame of mind. The rest will come in time.
#17 of 35 Old 08-12-2005, 04:49 PM

I just committed to teaching two more yoga classes for the fall - so I will teach an 1 1/2 hour hatha class on Tues eve and a 1 hour hatha class followed by a
1 hour pre-natal class on Wednesday eve. I hope that helps me jump start my personal practice.

I think getting up before my kids to practice MAY be possible in the near future. I'm going to place that as my intention (beginning in September! the rest of our summer schedule is too chaotic to start a new routine).

Who practices with their kids? How does that go? My kids always goof around and want to jump on me... I taught a kids yoga class for awhile and it was fun, but hard to keep my own kids from running around and being silly. If I practice with my almost 6 year old he can focus (sort of), but if the 2 year old is around it is just a big wiggle fest!

Kathleen
#18 of 35 Old 08-12-2005, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Kathleen- I practice with my three kids, and it works as long as it's their idea. With my 6 and 3 1/2 year old, I do kids yoga as we read a yoga book (like Babar's or My Daddy is a Pretzel). Or we do it along with one of our two yoga kids videos. Sometimes, we just do a pose here and there. They are proud of their yoga moves. As long as I don't have expectations, and stop whenever they're ready, it goes great. My 15 month old also does yoga, but I do baby yoga with her that I read about in Itsy Bitsy Yoga. She signs that she wants to do it sometimes, or just spontaneously goes into downward dog and claps for herself. Melts my yogi heart....
#19 of 35 Old 08-12-2005, 10:23 PM

if i lie on my back my 19-month-old runs over and puts her head on my chest. it's very sweet. then it becomes a tickle & giggle fest. she cracks me up if i do a bridge pose--she crawls under me. downward dog she always does with me.
i suppose she helps me not take myslef too seriously

#20 of 35 Old 08-13-2005, 01:47 AM

#21 of 35 Old 08-13-2005, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

I taught my first two yoga classes today!! It went better than I thought it would. I was a little nervous at first, but then things just flowed. The teens were very attentive, and there weren't any giggles or chatting. They seemed to really be into it! I teach them again next week!!
#22 of 35 Old 08-17-2005, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Now that the kids are back in school, I'm headed to the gym most days of the week. My 15 month old doesn't mind the nursery, and I've been getting in some cardio and spinning classes. Trying to loose those last 10 pounds to reach my goal weight. I've noticed that I've been missing my yoga. It's been two days since I did yoga, and I can tell a difference in my state of mind. Interesting.....

Anyway, I'm taking an Ashtanga class tomorrow. It'll be my first live class, but I've done some Ashtanga DVDs at home. I'm excited....

How's everyone???
#23 of 35 Old 08-17-2005, 09:25 PM

nursin'fool~ glad to hear the teaching is going well. that's exciting. i think that teens especially have needs that yoga can meet, and i'm glad you're serving them.

i hope the ashtanga class goes well. i really enjoyed a basic ashtanga (slower pace, introducing the series), but i have had a hard time getting child care to get there (dh, that is, *ahem*).

i start teaching my prenatal class next week. very exciting. if anyone has tips, favorite poses/mediatations from that time of life, please share.

#24 of 35 Old 08-18-2005, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Kangamitroo- When I took a prenatal class, I loved it when they worked in some pilates-inspired leg work on the floor. You know, the leg lifts, etc. It really helped tone the body, and was relaxing while lying on the floor. That's so exciting you're doing a prenatal class. That's my goal someday. You'll have to let me in on the insights you gain....
#25 of 35 Old 08-18-2005, 10:58 AM

Kangamitoo - I teach prenatal and I always do alot of forward bends in which I encourage students to breathe into the back body. I also do a series of Warrior II, Extended Side Angle and Triangle with a Wide-legged standing forward bend and Mountain between each posture. It's a nice standing sequence and good for all levels of pregnancy.

I LOVE teaching prenatal yoga - it is such an amazing time of growth and spiritual development for most woman. I also have pregnant women go around the room and introduce themselves briefly (name, expected "due" date, other kids at home" and mention any "issues" (leg cramps, lower back pain, etc). I think part of prenatal yoga is just being with other pregnant women. If the class is only an hour, I might skip this or just do names.

Have fun. I find the biggest challenge with prenatal yoga is having students attend regularly - it can be hard for women to GET to class. Don't worry if class size fluctuates.

Kathleen
#26 of 35 Old 08-18-2005, 02:05 PM

thanks for the feedback about the prenatal class. i appreciate the ideas and encouragement. i am thrilled ot be doing this. my prenatal practice is what gave me my commitment to yoga. pregnancy completely transformed my view of my body and my sense of interconnectedness (interconnection?).

i'll be sure to keep you posted.

#27 of 35 Old 08-23-2005, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Hello Yoga Mamas!! I'm tired today, my youngest hasn't been sleeping well in the family bed. She didn't go to sleep the other night until 1:30am. Last night it was 11 pm. In between she's restless and nursing a lot. I think it's her teeth. I've still been keeping up with my yoga though. Sometimes I think it's the only thing that keeps me sane......
#28 of 35 Old 08-23-2005, 07:17 PM

hi mamas!! this is the first time i've seen this thread. i'm so happy to have found it!

i'm erin. i have a 14 mo dd and we're ttc. i've been practicing yoga for about 6 years....seriously for about 4.....teaching for 3ish (i'm not very careful about keeping track of these things)

right now i teach part time...four classes a week....prenatal, mommy and baby, a mixed level and a vinyasa class.....and lead a few workshops when i can.

kangamitroo ~ i agree with yogamama....i work really hard to try to make prenatal (and mommy/baby) a community feel and so a check-in each class. name, week you are in, any physical/emotional issues in your mind...and then i ask a question like....

have you heard of a doula? are you planning to have one? has anyone used one in the past?

what steps have you/are you planning to take to "babyproof" your relationship with your partner? how is your communication? how is s/he feeling? what are his/her concerns/fears?

have you written a birth plan? have you thought about how you would like your birth experience to unfold (recognizing of course that it is ultimately not in our control)? etc.

OK...DD TYPING THAT'S ALL FOR ME FOR NOW......

~Erin
#29 of 35 Old 08-24-2005, 09:40 AM

Hi mamas,
(Thanks to my husband) I've been able to at least do 3 rounds of Surya Namaskar in the morning, upon waking. My next goal is to begin doing Chandra Namaskar in th evening before dinner or bed.

I'm also really eager to begin teaching again. I think, I'd like to just do private classes from my home or the practitioners home. I prefer the one-on-one feel.

My son has really gotten into doing Adhomukha Svanasana when I'm doing my Sun Salutations. He's so cute! And he says, "Yoga, yoga". He's 25 m/o now.

I'd like to incorporate both him and our 3 m/o into my practice. Any advice on that? I know there are DVD's and such but by the time I would put one on my window of opportunity would be over.

#30 of 35 Old 08-27-2005, 11:35 AM

Lovesprout, Here are some good books that may give you some ideas for involving your kids in your practice: Itsy Bitsy Yoga by Helen Garabedian, My Daddy Is a Pretzel by Baron Baptiste, A Yoga Parade of Animals by Pauline Mainland, Yoga For Kids by Liz Lark, Yoga For Children by Mary Stewart and Children's Book of Yoga by Thia Luby. Good luck finding the time to actually read them, my dd usually just ends up mimicking whatever I am doing in my practice. When they get a little bit older the Yoga Garden Game is a great way to practice with your kids and there are also some books by Gurumayi written especially for kids that can be found on the Siddha Yoga website.......have fun, Danielle

"While Eeyore frets ...and Piglet hesitates...and Rabbit calculates...and Owl pontificates...Pooh just is."
taken from The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff

check out my children's room in the library:  Hampton Bays Public Library Children's Room  http://hbaychildroom.blogspot.com/ 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page