chasing the naughty dingos....aka the running tribe sept thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-07-2005, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Answering "why?" - when the answers are too complicated you can make stuff up! Dh told DD about Clyde the thundercloud; how he traveled to the 4 oceans to get water because he really wants to be a thundercloud, and finally got some from the southern ocean and then came to visit our city.... generally think in terms of personification and metaphor and you can entertain even yourself with the things you come up with

Lucenamama - Im so looking forward to hearing about your race! Way to go on the tempo run. Your discipline is a joy.

BBM - 9 miles and then the fartlek! Girl, you dont mess around. I hope to be back there some day, but till then, I love hearing about your variety of runs.

DrJen - it must be such a thrill to watch DS as it is such a thrill to hear about him. I meant to say earlier - he runs FAST. I cant believe he is not fast for high school. Holy cow, as grandpa used to say

Geo - welcome back. I hope the chiro fixes you up! Your phrasing made me realize - duh - what a hard job to not only be nurturing that baby in there but carrying the extra weight! I didnt gain a lot with my pregs, and didnt really *get* until you said that the many jobs you are performing with such grace (mom, preg woman, runner, geofizzer)

mamabeth - how're the B/H? How are you feeling?

Kerc - And you? I wish you had sick days too!

eksmom - how did MMO go?

ND - the biking sounds great. I heard from my local gas girl that prices are going up around .50 tomorrow, so you'll be able to keep it up - really good cross training for the quads/knee strength

aah, poopy dipe calls.....

good runs/walks/physicality to everyone...

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2005, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schatz
Thanks! My pump and I are like peas and carrots - quite attached to each other.
Man I don't miss pumping. dd was early and then had a nasty case of jaundice so I spent some serious time pumping too.

Anyway, don't have time for a long post but wanted to let you guys know that I got my run in last night and it was good one. I feel much more relaxed today.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:02 PM

Where is the cautious sigh of relief smiley?

MMO was this morning, drop-off was at 9 am. I heard from my mom around 9:15. It didn't go as poorly as we expected. The teacher (who I gave a heads up to yesterday) was comforting to Emma Kate and by the time my mom left she had stopped crying. I'm sure she's still trying to get a handle on things and may not be too thrilled, but at least she isn't screaming. Apparently there's at least one other child in the class who's having a tougher time of it than she is - not that I'm glad about that, but I honestly thought that Emma Kate would be leading the way with the crying. I guess she taught me something this morning - my baby's growing up. I feel like this: : I'd love it if she's happy and playing and enjoying herself when my mom goes to pick her up at noon. We'll see... and one-on-one Mama/EK time is top on the to-do list for tonight.

Anyway, to make this on-topic... I did run 21 mins. this morning. It was about 57 degrees at 5 am. Brrrr! What am I going to do when it is 37, or 27? In other related news, I am about a half pound from my goal weight. I haven't exactly decided what to do or where to go from here. It'll put me at 5'8" and 157 lbs., so I could technically lose more... don't know if I should keep trying, or learn to maintain, or what. This is new territory for me - I don't think I've been at this weight since high school - although as I'm sure you're all familiar with, my body at this weight now is still not the same body it was at that weight then! :LOL

Happy Wednesday bipedal excursions to all!

(Our dogs go nuts when they hear the word "walk", so in our house a walk is referred to as a "bipedal excursion." But it could be running, jogging, or wogging too, so I decided it can apply here! )

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

Old 09-07-2005, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom

(Our dogs go nuts when they hear the word "walk", so in our house a walk is referred to as a "bipedal excursion." But it could be running, jogging, or wogging too, so I decided it can apply here! )
:

I love it!!!
Old 09-07-2005, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
LOL We can't use the word "walk" around DD either.

I have to stop reading all the pregnancy boards. I can't do this. I think I'll stick here, but I need to narrow my focus. The last awful announcement is from someone local, someone I know personally.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:15 PM

Hi y'all...I'm off to the chiro in a minute too (hope it went well kerc and geo, did you both go?) so just wanted to say hi.

The B/H suck, but I keep visualizing that they're being productive, so maybe that's helping! We walked last night and I didn't have one until the end, so it was a really nice time. My state of mind is also better, possibly since dd has gone back to school and I'm not working very much, so I'm getting some time to chill.

by the way, we have had two infant deaths on the September board, so please keep those mamas and families in your thoughts. Thanks. Horrible, and both relatively unexplained (one probably due to pre-e, the other they don't know).

Have a good time running today, y'all! I see runners out and am just really longing for the days when I can just go out for a 30 minute run again!!!!
Old 09-07-2005, 12:22 PM

to the mamas who have lost their little ones and those who are due soon (mamabeth, geo, kerc)... I just can't imagine...

Old 09-07-2005, 12:31 PM

I had a good run this morning. I got another 5 miles in. Its been cool in the mornings for th last week or so. I think we finally turned the corner. Its so refreshing! Its almost brisk! :LOL

We have had the "Whys?" at our house too. My 4yo loves to try and stump us. I find that I tend to use a lot of scarcasm as a parent just to keep my sanity. I'm sure my kids will remember it fondly when they get older.

mamabeth~ I'm glad to hear that you are still doing well. I'm sorry to hear about the deaths on the Sept. board. I know it was always so hard to hear about those things when I was pregnant. Keep yourself in a good state of mind. Relax and pamper yourself.

Geo~

LOL about the "walk" thing!

: There is like a 4 foot long tree roach skating around the house right now. (those of you in the south know about these...its so huge I don't even want to squish it because its going to make a nasty mess...I'm hoping it will find its way back out of the house right now) Anyway, my 2yo ds picked up his pull-up that he had thrown on the floor, and I guess the roach had crawled under it. Poor ds screamed like a big ol' girl and just froze! I yelled "RUN Lo-Lo RUN!", and ds flew out of the room just before it crawled on him. : Poor guy....that was sheer terror!

(disclaimer: the presence of the roach in my house has nothing to do with cleanliness....my house is spic and span seeing as I am borderline OCD...but I like being that way!)

Anyway....I need to get these kids on task and get something done. Gotta find that roach before I do what ds just did and the kids are yelling "run momma run!!" :LOL
Old 09-07-2005, 12:34 PM

PO6- I moved to Biloxi after having lived in Michigan for 19 years, and it didn't matter how many times a day I scrubbed the floors and counters the roaches still came in. *shutter* I hated those d*mn things. :LOL

I didn't get my run in last night. I got home and had a pounding headache, and I thought it was the onset of the flu, which my husband had a touch of the night before. It could've just been a stress headache since we found out I didn't qualify for any financial aid for school. Either way, it's gone today and I can't wait to go for a run tonight.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 09-07-2005, 12:38 PM

Quote:

:LOL we call it a "w."
Old 09-07-2005, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It'll put me at 5'8" and 157 lbs., so I could technically lose more... don't know if I should keep trying, or learn to maintain, or what. This is new territory for me - I don't think I've been at this weight since high school - although as I'm sure you're all familiar with, my body at this weight now is still not the same body it was at that weight then!
AWESOME!!!
honestly I'd try to maintain to let yourself get it all together.
I'm 5'10" --- I think that height/weight sounds like a normal combination to me. I've always been SUPER skinny (except the year after dd was born and during pregnancy) and I think a skinny, healthy weight for 5'10" ish must hover in the 150 +/- 15 lbs range.

wtg on the moms morning out thing. routine, routine, routine really helped us.

and

Just back from the doc, pregnancy is progressing normally, iron is a smidge low but she isn't worried. and

2.5 cm dilated, 70% effaced!!!!
I'm so psyched because it took about 5 hours of laboring with my dd to get there.

My doc said "so I'm the partner on call this weekend." I called erik and he said "so, ummm, now would be a good time to order those pump parts huh?" I don't think baby is coming any time this week, but I'm thrilled baby is lining up normally.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 09-07-2005, 01:07 PM

eksmom - congrats on your success with weight loss!

sorry to hear of the infant deaths, that's so sad and devastating but please remember that they're statistically very rare. not that it makes you feel any better

i was so sore from climbing on monday that i couldn't even do a couple of sets of sit ups yesterday and went to bed at 9p. still sore today, but have to go out and run this afternoon. have to have to have to. busy day at work too, with meetings and projects and so forth - but i need to remember that you ladies are counting on me to run my four miles and you'll be let down if it doesn't happen.

tonight an architect is coming over to talk with us about drawing up plans for a house addition. our house is tiny, but in an excellent location with views. housing prices in our area are have started to become more comparable to the fancy-pants resort town next door which means that moving houses isn't going to be an option for us. so we'll look into an addition, but i'm really nervous that we'll never afford the addition either. i guess we'll see once we start crunching the numbers.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:48 PM

I had a great run this am! I ran 2 miles to my brother's house with the jogger, to pick up his dog and run her back home to my house. He's selling his house so he needs me to dog-sit when they have showings. That means poor Febe didn't get to run (and poor Truman has been limping off and on for two weeks so no running for him) but they are all chasing each other around the back yard now, so I think I'm forgiven.

On the walk thing, I used to have a dog that could spell. Seriously. I couldn't say the word "treat" or he would go nuts. I was telling his dad to give him a "t-r-e-a-t" (and I swear I'd never spelled it previously) and he went nuts and ran to where the treats were kept. Sweet Chester, I miss you puppy! (He's in doggy heaven now.)

Hey Kerc, did your doggy turn out to be a-ok when you took him to the vet?

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
Old 09-07-2005, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonikitaUT
On the walk thing, I used to have a dog that could spell. Seriously. I couldn't say the word "treat" or he would go nuts. I was telling his dad to give him a "t-r-e-a-t" (and I swear I'd never spelled it previously) and he went nuts and ran to where the treats were kept.
Karen has learned to spell d-e-s-s-e-r-t, c-o-o-k-i-e and i-c-e-c-r-e-a-m, as well as the Spanish and Turkish words for each. We're down to things like "baked confection" and similar descriptors.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:20 PM

That is just hysterical about all of the dogs. You guys are cracking me up. I have a yellow lab who is so adorable and sweet, but she doesn't seem to be very driven by her stomach. She hasn't learned how to be for food, or go crazy over a treat. She plays so much with the kids that walks are not necessary. She is exhausted by the time the kids are done with her and she snores under the kitchen table. She does talk in her sleep though. Last night she was under our bed and just barking up a storm....she must have been chasing squirrels. (Her name is "Scout" BTW.....after the little girl in To Kill a Mockingbird)

It sounds like all of you have really special four footed furry friends.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

hunter has been pretty good and he hasn't seen the vet yet. I've been up to my eyeballs in work and just haven't made time. life is crazy with one car and several places to go. we can walk to the vet, but we can't walk home from work, you know. although with the price of gas, we might reconsider and buy a second vehicle -- it might be cheaper to maintain a 2nd vehicle than to put 80 miles on the car daily with all the round trips to/from work. eeek.

Old 09-07-2005, 04:59 PM

Hi Mamas,

EK's Mom, congrats on the goal weight. What an accomplishment. You should definately treat yourself some how. It isn't every day that we accomplish something like that. I am glad the preschool went better than expected. Phew.

Kerc! I got together with my friend Alison (Warneral) and she says she knows you! Whata small world isn't it? Too funny. And WTG on the effacement. I hope your cervix melts like buttah baybee during your labor.

Schatz, your do sounds cool. My friend Alison who knows Kerc is the one who lives near you who we should get together with sometime, she's a cool Mama.

Geo and Mamabeth, hugs to you. I can't believe these tragedies. Growing a baby inside you is so wonderful, but it is so scary as well. I think it is a good idea to step back if it is stressing you out.

I haven't run yet. Got together with two of my girlfriends and their kids this AM at a county park and took the kids on a little hike. It was gorgeous. My kid has a special sort of animal poop radar and once again found us many wonderful specimens to observe on the hike :LOL After that I took the kids to a fabulous kid oriented deli in town to buy them ice cream and take them for a ride on the carousel there. My little DD split her chin open Saturday night (20 minutes before we were set to go on a date with our new ( and improved haha) sitter about to come). Anyway, baby had to have 4 stitches in her chin and my older DD was so incredibly well behaved and helpful. I wanted to show her my appreciation and celebrate her "Wise decision" to act like a big girl that night Also I am feeling woozy and nauseated today. I am glad, after all the cramping and bleeding last weekend, I just want a good pukefest to convince me this little bean is doing well.

Oh, and all your dogs are cracking me up. Smart, just like their Runnin' Mamas!

ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

Old 09-07-2005, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz
Karen has learned to spell d-e-s-s-e-r-t, c-o-o-k-i-e and i-c-e-c-r-e-a-m, as well as the Spanish and Turkish words for each. We're down to things like "baked confection" and similar descriptors.
:LOL

oh , ladies - i canNOT keep up with this thread right now...still feeling not so great [again - just from what transpired in the hospital, not from the actual brain thing]

i have not been doing much activity yet and i start to get a little down whenever i see runners go by my house. not super down, since i am lucky to have my health, but more of a - i wanna be out there too - kind of down.
[lucenamama - let's DEFINITELY go for a walk soon - maybe this weekend? my MIL arrives saturday and hopefully i will be up for it. will call you.]

preg mamas - congrats on staying healthy and feeling good. so sorry to hear about the losses in the MDC community/IRL ~

i have been so wrapped up with all the katrina news and how awful everything is. trying to boost my spirits by volunteering locally - we're waiting for our first group of survivors to arrive here in portland soon.

i will have to catch up and post more personals soon - have some good runs for me!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

Old 09-07-2005, 05:48 PM

Quote:
fabulous kid oriented deli in town to buy them ice cream and take them for a ride on the carousel there.
It really is a fabulous deli The whole place is decorated with mechanical toys and they make a killer sundae titled "turtle grilled poundcake sundae" - it is to die for! (This is still really weird to me that ND and I are in the same town and now ND's friend knows kerc -- six degrees of separation -- ack!)

ND - glad to hear you felt :Puke That's such a nice feeling at first but then it gets really old :

Sounds like there have been some losses on the Sept board yes? to those mamas. We had a couple on our May board too. It's so very sad.

here's to kerc's body getting ready for a great vbac go kerc, go kerc

eksmom - your weight sounds great!

gotta run
Old 09-07-2005, 10:58 PM

<-------------------- OMG you guys, just noticed this :LOL

Old 09-07-2005, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Dingo
<-------------------- OMG you guys, just noticed this :LOL
I it!

*bows to the chased one*

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 09-07-2005, 11:24 PM

Who did it? C'mon. Fess up!
Old 09-08-2005, 12:01 AM

?????? hmmmmm : ??????

Old 09-08-2005, 12:06 AM

Saskiasmom, thx for the encouragement!

Eksmom, glad to hear the MMO went pretty well. WTG on the wt! We can't say "beach" in front of our black lab -- she goes ballistic!

to the Sept mamas.

Kerc, congrats on your body preparing for birth!

ND, wishing you a happy :Puke fest!

Poppy, yes this weekend, but only if you're up to it. Anytime before noon or after 3ish. I've also been caught up by Katrina -- so unfathomable and heartbreaking. We don't have a TV so I've been listening to NPR non stop -- just hearing the voices of the folks down there, so heartbreaking. I'm thankful of course to hear the many stories of people helping each other, it's really a balm for the ache.

Today was supposed to be a running day but I've felt just bone tired and weak all day I hope I'm not coming down w/a flu. AF is imminent so maybe it's a weakened immune system. Anyway, this is the first time since I started running 3 mos ago that I had to "call in sick" and it's a bummer. Being bloated doesn't help. AF! AF! To my body, stat!
Old 09-08-2005, 07:36 AM

Just got back from a 25 minute run, and I hated every step of it. I'm back to not feeling the love for running in the dark. I spent the first 10-12 minutes thinking of ways I could work in exercise at other times so as to not have to run in the dark. : However, it may just be PMS messing with me, so I'm trying to see it out and maybe I'll get a more positive attitude soon. At least I got out of bed and went.

Like y'all, I'm weighed down by Katrina. We've donated money, but I feel like it's not enough. I've been thinking of adopting or at least fostering a pet displaced by the hurricane. I feel like it would certainly add to our already high stress level, but then I think, well, if everyone said that, who would help? What I really wish I could do is go down there and volunteer in some capacity, but with work and still nursing DD I don't know how it's possible. I just feel so frustrated at not being able to *do* something. Anyone else feeling this way?

(Yeah, that was what I thought about for the rest of my run. :LOL)

Old 09-08-2005, 10:38 AM

ND~ I love the DDDDC! It wasn't me though! I'm happy to hear that you feel Enjoy it before the novelty wears off.

eksmom~ I feel much the same way as you about the hurricane. My life seems so chaotic all of the time, and I think much more would put me over the edge. I have so many personal obligations this month that I really can't dedicate myself to much more. I have that trial to attend next week, and I have a client due at the end of the month. In between all of that I have to fit in homeschooling and just being a mom and a wife. .....maybe next month when things settle down.... Right now, writing a check is all I can handle.

poppywise~ I'm hoping that you are feeling better soon. A stay in the hospital really pulls the rug out from under you.

I'm taking today off. I ran 5 yesterday, and then I went back out last night for another 2 miles....I just had energy to burn. I really need to catch up on some errands and such today. I need to clean out my van...its trashed. I'm off now to make a list before I forget something.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:44 AM

Home with a sick little one today She has one of her famous asthmatic coughs that cause people to stare at us. Anyway not too much time to chat. I hope to get a run in on the threadmill while she naps this afternoon.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:45 AM

well, i finally donated money to the Katrina effort and that feels a lot better. at least i've done something, even if it's only very little.

no run yesterday, turns out that i forgot my shoes. but we did walk to the store, i did some abs and some very nice stretching. today i will remember my shoes and run this afternoon. i will i will i will.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:07 PM

Did you guys hear on NPR yesterday (or was it the day before?) about the babies in the hospital? And how they hadn't found the parents of all of them? This is just so horrible. Bravo to all you mamas who volunteer. We had so many people volunteer here that they shut the phone lines down for it and aren't accepting anymore. They actually have too many people. At least it says something wonderful about the community here.

Today is a rest day. I'm so tired in the mornings this week, and I'm not sure why. I'm only getting up twice a night now with DD (instead of 5 times) and I actually feel more tired. Maybe my body is just trying to catch up on the 6 months worth of sleep deprivation. I'm going to try and do a yoga tape during DD's afternoon nap, and just have a relaxing day with no worries or stress. (We'll see how that goes.)

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
Old 09-08-2005, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

erin and i went to my dh's informal trail race yesterday. typically erin and i hangout, run around and whatnot. yesterday's running around led me to finally understand what people were talking about when they said it felt like the baby was going to fall out. urgh, not comfortable. uncomfortable enough that I'm sure to have doomed an early baby -- I came home from the race, finished up the dolly diapers for dd's new doll, wrapped that and stuck it in the hospital bag. Then i proceeded to outline my course for the next four weeks. hmmm....

User Tag List