chasing the naughty dingos....aka the running tribe sept thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 523 Old 08-31-2005, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking at my calendar tomorrow is september. I'm also procrastinating at work just for 5 more minutes, so....

welcome to the september thread for mamas and soon to be mamas and everyone else who runs, jogs, walks or is thinking about running, jogging or walking. We come here for support on the pursuit of running/walking for fitness and for the general comraderie of other people who are like us:
some are geeks
some are not geeks
some are pregnant
some are not pregnant
some are trying to get pregnant
others are trying NOT to get pregnant
most of us are somewhere in between walking full time and running a marathon

We are a pack of women (so far, although we'd welcome dads too) who chat a lot and support each other in our pursuit of exercise as a normal part of our lives. No shiny jackets required to be a part of the gang, although I think "chasing the naughty dingos" is a fine name for the band, what do you think?

My goals for september:
1. have a vbac with a happy, healthy baby who sleeps a lot more than my first did.
2. to continue my exercise 30 mins 3 x a week until said baby arrives
3. to support my family (dh and dd) in their athletic pursuits.

and I forgot to say this morning when I checked in:
Erin can now pedal a trike!!! if only her grandma had bought one with an adult handle on the back to help on the uphills.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 523 Old 08-31-2005, 04:17 PM

I'm getting in on this new thread early so that it's not up to 2-3 pages by the time I finally get a clue!

I am going to run today, after all! Yay for my Dad, who's going to watch DD until 5 or thereabouts while I run.

My goals for September:

Run 5x per week, including at least one long run on the weekends
Read up on how to increase my pace and put it into practice
Find and sign up for a 5K this fall?

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate, possibly the newest inductee into the "Terrible Twos" club :LOL

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#3 of 523 Old 08-31-2005, 04:25 PM

Hi
I'll jump in early too!
My goals are to run 3x this week, get in at least 2 yoga sessions, and maybe try to go to the gym. We are trying taking ds to a home-based daycare in the morning and having him come back to the office before lunch, so it we can get this to where it works, I'll be able to get in some weightlifting time as well (and I'll go pick him up with the jogger and run both ways most days).
We're having some issues getting him to feel comfortable (he's going through some seperation anxiety, and the only other time he was away from one of us, it was a bad situation ...my folks aren't very good with babies, we won't do that again) with the daycare, so right now, I'm only leaving him alone there for a short period of time. I'll probably start a thread in working moms for suggestions on how to make this easier (the goal is for him to be ther for 3 hours in the morning, and then spend afternoons with me), and I"d love to hear anyone's ideas here as well.

Vegan, mom to : Joe and Josh ::
#4 of 523 Old 08-31-2005, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
:LOL

I love the thread into, kerc. Thanks for starting the new one. I made myself a member of the club.

<----

Goals:

*Get a angle bar thingy for my bike's handlebars so I can have a bit more tummy room to ride my bike.

*Keep running 3x a week

*Stop puking.
#5 of 523 Old 08-31-2005, 04:31 PM

Thanks for setting up the new thread kerc. And nice introduction

I can't believe it is September either. I sure hope that babe shows by the end of this month. Tomorrow is my "baby" sister's 32nd birthday. Yikes, where does the time go.

Anyway, back on topic.

Goals for September:

Run 4 times per week working toward a 10 minute mile pace so that I am ready for the Run for the Cure on October 2!

Try and start doing some ab work at least a couple of times a week.
#6 of 523 Old 08-31-2005, 04:35 PM

Me too.....

<-----------------
#7 of 523 Old 08-31-2005, 04:52 PM

<---- i inducted myself into the club also

sept goals -
run that 5K!
do *something* every day - be it running for 45 minutes, running for 10, or practicing yoga
not allow myself to use classes and prac as an excuse not to run - even if i have to get up earlier in order to go running
kerc - i like your goal of supporting your family's athletic pursuits - em is starting soccer in a week!
NOT get pregnant!
#8 of 523 Old 08-31-2005, 05:08 PM

I joined...

<------

#9 of 523 Old 08-31-2005, 06:33 PM

Okay.. I'm in too!
<-----

I just got in from an 11 mile bike ride with DH. He complimented me at the end for doing so well into the wind and he gave me a high five as we parked our bikes. That's always a nice feeling!

Tonight, I want to do an ab workout at home along with some homework and chores. :LOL Wish me luck.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#10 of 523 Old 08-31-2005, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLove
Tonight, I want to do an ab workout at home along with some homework and chores. :LOL Wish me luck.

me too, although the belly is just not having anything to do with an ab workout :

#11 of 523 Old 08-31-2005, 07:45 PM

Quote:
I think "chasing the naughty dingos" is a fine name for the band, what do you think?
:LOL

Uh oh better not do any slacking off this month hehe

Thanks for starting the new thread Kerc.

My goal for september is to keep doing the 3.5 mile loop that I usually do. I 'd like to run 5 days a week. If I get as sick with this pregnancy as I have with my other two, I will need a pack chasing me to get me to keep running! But, my philosophy is that I will feel like krap whether I run or not, so I might as well get out and run.

Not much new on the homefront here. Had to abbreviate my run today to stop at the market to pick up some stuff for supper, DD2 has her first black eye sniff sniff poor thing, and I am cooking up a storm of dishes for the freezer since this morning I already felt some nausea and had some big time reactions to smells in my kitchen. Wah. It seems to early but it wasn't in my head.

Tomorrow I will run in the AM, we are supposed to have another great day.

Bye, off to modify my info too LOL

ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

#12 of 523 Old 08-31-2005, 08:40 PM

OMG I made it! I caught up with the whole thread - all 220 something posts.. yikes.

I turned 30! I got married! And it was WONDERFUL. Warning - I think this post is going to be long, but I'll try to keep it short. We don't get pics from the photographer for another couple of weeks, but I'll post them when I get them.

I didn't run the whole time on vacation, but I did a lot of hiking/walking. My milk supply increased bigtime. Since coming back I've run twice, and my supply has dropped drastically both times. I don't know what to do... It isn't a hydration issue. (I drink a TON and my urine is pale.) In my heart I feel like I should stop running, but I don't want to. It makes me so sad and want to cry. I've worked so hard to get back to where I am and I don't want to lose it all. Here are some options I've thought about (please give me advice, mamas)

1) Quit running and walk every day with DD instead.
2) Keep running and start supplementing with formula in addition to trying to keep bfing
3) Wean DD - This would be horrible for both of us since DD (10 months) has never taken a bottle and is still 99% bfed.

I've tried lowering my mileage, but it doesn't seem to help. I eat whenever I'm hungry, and get lots of fats. I eat double what I used to when not nursing. I've tried only running every other day, but it isn't cutting it. When I don't run, I have plenty of milk. My DD is very small - 5th % for weight, so I need to make sure she is getting enough.

I AM A RUNNER. It is what I do. It is my thing. It is my escape and my job and my joy.

On the bright side - DD is now only nursing 1-2 times a night instead of 5. I'm getting sleep! I really am a different person when I get sleep. I'm HAPPY! I have energy. I LIKE my DD again. (Always love her - I start to get burned out when I'm tired.) I feel positive. I'm keeping my house clean. The 5 times a night thing went on for 6 months. I feel very proud of myself for surviving.

Related to past posts - I have the BOB Ironman stroller and love it. For motivation I'm pretty materialistic so I like to set goals and reward them with new running gear or something like that. I am not a geek, I'm a serious bookworm. I don't have an education higher than 12, but it doesn't mean I'm not smart.

ND - Your siggy changes on all your past posts from before you change it.. so I'm reading along and I see on your siggy that you're pg, before it has been mentioned. I was like "OMG! She's PG!" and jumping up and down for you, and wondering if anyone else here would notice.. but then in later posts you shared the news.

I missed you guys while I was gone. I love this thread. Now give me some advice, mamas!

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#13 of 523 Old 08-31-2005, 09:42 PM

Monica Thanks. You know, I had a couple ideas for upping your milk supply. One, are you increasing your caloric intake? If you aren't being dehydrated, you may need to make up with calories the energy you are burning on your runs.

Also,you could start taking an herb like Fenugreek. It is a natural way to increase supply. It is available at natural pharmacies and natural groceries. The dose is 3 capsules 3 times daily. You will start to smell like curry but it increases the milk fairly well. I took it for a while after my supply took a hit when I had to pump at work. Drink mother's milk tea too that helps. Also, do you have a natural pharmacy near you? Talk to the pharmacist, I think Blessed thistle is a lactogogue as well.

good luck Mama, there is a lot you can do to increase supply. I don't think you should cut out running, since it is important to feed your own interests and passions as you mother a small child (a job which can erase most of your "self")

OH! and congrats on turning 30 and getting married YEAH! That's huge. I love my thirties, they are such an awesome decade. I know you'll like them too.

ND

#14 of 523 Old 08-31-2005, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Congratulations Monica! I'm so glad everything went smoothly.

What are you basing your conclusion that your supply is lower? Just feeling less full? Baby acting differently? When we're off on vacation doing fun stuff, DD would nurse a lot less frequently, so I would feel more full compared to at home. Could it be as simple as that?

I'd echo ND's suggestion that you make sure you're getting enough to eat. I have used fitday.com from time to time to add things up. It will also total your nutrients as well, so you may find that there's some nutrient you're lacking. You say you get enough fats, but do you get enough protein? I recall really struggling with protein for a good long while when I added running and kept (nearly exclusively) breastfeeding my 16 month old. There's no way to add in the caloric impact of breastfeeding in fitday, but I think it's something like 50 calories per pound of baby per day for an exclusively breastfed baby. Other than that making sure you eat enough, you might want to experiment with oatmeal, fenugreek and the other herbs known to boost supply.

Katrina cleared out the humidity around here nicely. It's a beautiful night to puke in the gutters 2 miles from home. :
#15 of 523 Old 08-31-2005, 10:27 PM

I couldn't resist joining the club either!
Congrats ND!!
I'm not drinking any water over here. I'm pining terribly again for a new baby, but there's been surgery at this household and our family will remain with four great kids. Please, please post all about how delicious those new babies skin is and how great they smell - I'll just live vicariously through y'all.
Is that race application in the mail yet? Just by showing up at the starting line you are beating out the 99% of the population who doesn't run races.

My August is in the books (or the running log to be more exact.) With today's run, I ran 19 times in August, for a total of 80.81 miles, of which 7 miles was walking my warm-ups and cool downs. My goal was 70 miles, so that's not bad.

I'm trying to come up with some good plans to keep going all winter. I do have a treadmill, and don't mind that much running on it, but it gets boring after a while. We bought the whole first season of M*A*S*H, and the whole first season of the Muppet Show on DVD, so hopefully those will entertain me for a while. I just feel so much more tired when there isn't as much daylight. Wish we could have the cooler weather, but still longer days somehow.

I don't know how I'll get any runs in the next 2 days. Tomorrow is the wedding rehearsal for the wedding I'm playing in, and my dh is having a crowd of homeschooled kids over to demonstrate Lego robotics. Then Friday is the wedding, a cross country meet (ds running) and a football game (ds marching in the marching band.) So my first Sept run might be Sat.

Speaking of Sept - this is your month mamabeth!!
#16 of 523 Old 08-31-2005, 10:40 PM

Dr. Jen, your DP sound tres cool! Lego robotics? How fun is that? Can he teach me to build a Lego cyborg to clean my house?

ND :LOL

#17 of 523 Old 09-01-2005, 12:32 AM

<---------------------- Does this count?

Thx for starting the new thread, Kerc! Love the intro.

Poppy, how are you? I'm hoping the headache was just a fluke.

Welcome back MonikitaUT! And welcome to the thirties - the best decade for me so far! Fenugreek really helped me. What if you thought of walking w/DD as just a "pause" in your running program? Then when your supply builds up again you could start working in some runs?

M*A*S*H! That takes me back!

Kate, I'm w/you on all your concerns -- I have my first race on the 18th. I finally registered the other day and once I did, it was like, ok let's just do it then, like much of the resistance just went away.

Ran 30 mins today, in the afternoon again. Felt like I was staggering. Must remember to drink more and get a good snack in a couple hours before.

Goals:

Run my race on the 18th!

Keep training, keep increasing my long run.

Start speed work and abs stuff.
#18 of 523 Old 09-01-2005, 01:20 AM

Hi, just joining here for the first time. Hope you don't mind.

The fact that I am signing on to a running thread is just wild to me. For years I have said how I hate running, and now, it is my chosen method of exercise. Truth be told, I have only been doing this since last week, but I have been running 15-20 min every day since I started, and hope to maintain that, adding time as I get more in shape. The surprising thing to me is that (aside from the fact that I am actually running) is that I don't hate it! :LOL I am doing this in part for my mental health, and for that reason have to do it everyday, in the morning, preferably, but I am anxiously awaiting to see my body transform from this great exercise.

I look forward to reading up on all your experiences!
#19 of 523 Old 09-01-2005, 02:08 AM

welcome moonshine!
#20 of 523 Old 09-01-2005, 08:38 AM

Hi Moonshine

#21 of 523 Old 09-01-2005, 09:05 AM

Kerc - I hope you got all of the things done that you needed to last night. I got a chance to deep clean the bathroom, do abs, do some reading for class, and run to the Bx to buy some things.

Monikita - Happy *belated* Birthday! Congrats on the wedding! I can't wait to see pictures.

Moonshine. It sounds like you are doing great.

Today is my day off, for exercise at least. I have to go do an observation this morning at a local child care facility, and then I have class from 1-4.

Have a great day all!

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#22 of 523 Old 09-01-2005, 09:16 AM

I had to join the club too.

Now I feel really cool!

I am exhausted. My brain is fried. I got that statement written, and it was harder than I thought it would be. The trial is in just a little more than a week.

I have to spend today geting ready for our homeschool group's education day....I'm teaching a class.

My runs have been less than ideal this week. On Monday I had my recovery run, and for some reason I thought it would be a good idea to do some squats when I finished. I was so sore I could hardly walk on Tuesday or Wednesday...much less run.

I hope that I can get a decent run in this morning...maybe 5 or 6 miles. I don't feel sore now.

Keep on running everyone! Chase the naughty dingo!
#23 of 523 Old 09-01-2005, 09:26 AM

I got in 21 minutes this morning. It was soooo hard to get out of bed. DD has been refusing to go to sleep the last few nights and we've been up until 10 or later. Then, she's been up several times in the night. I think tomorrow I won't even try to run in the AM... maybe I can get in an evening run, and then sleep in Saturday. So tired.

#24 of 523 Old 09-01-2005, 09:28 AM

Monica, Congrats on the wedding and welcome to your thirties. I agree with pps this has been my best decade so far. It kind of scares me that I am now past the middle of it :LOL

moonshine - Welcome! This is a great thread.

Don't have time for a long post this morning. I am taking tomorrow off so I have to get some stuff done. Didn't get up and run this morning, : but I have promised myself I will get on that treadmill tonight.

If I don't get back to post, have a great weekend everyone!!!
#25 of 523 Old 09-01-2005, 09:36 AM

Oops, forgot to say - Monikita, on the wedding and happy birthday! I'll hit 30 in May and I'm a little apprehensive. Hope you are able to work out your supply issues. I know what a stressor that can be, and the stress then doesn't help your supply! I was thinking about it, whether I could/would give up running if I thought it was affecting my supply. With an almost 2 yo, I probably would not, but with a babe under a year I guess I would... however I think you identify as a runner more strongly than I do! I know it's hard, and I wish you the best in figuring it out.

#26 of 523 Old 09-01-2005, 10:17 AM

MonikaUT - Congrats on the wedding and birthday. The thirties have definitely been the best so far. On the supply, I thought of a few things; DD is 10 months so doesnt *need* as much as a younger baby. Can you up her calorie intake with solids? Both my kids have been under 10th % for weight and I have added almond butter to a lot of their meals (cereal, sandwiches....), and your getting to the age where she can safely have eggs, but I think she can have yolks now? Does she drink anything from a sippy or bottle? Could you work on that and then give her watered down juice so she is staying more hydrated (maybe the juice water would appeal to her from a sippy where breast milk does not b/c she knows she can get it from you?) and then may not want to nurse as much. For your part, Fenugreek ups supply a lot. I took it in pill form, 2 pills 3x/day, and after about 2 days my boobs were leaking again (like when babes are new). Maybe more info than you needed but it definitely worked. Good luck and let us know

To bring a topic over from the other thread, I was/am still worried about Poppy. Im glad her Dh updated us, and I always hope my Dh is being overboard, so was hoping this time and afraid he was right. What they are checking for with the MRI is not good and I will be worried until we hear from her.

No run today as Im still sick. My goal is to be better by tomorrow and then get some running in this weekend.

Athanasor - there is a fun sounding race *up here* Oct. 1, with balloons filling the sky.... Im planning on it, maybe you would want to do it too

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#27 of 523 Old 09-01-2005, 11:02 AM

MonikaUT -- happy b-day and wedding day! Yes, do try fenugreek. I just bought a bottle this week as my little guy is eating into my freezer stash in a big way and I need to up my output at work. Please, please, please give up running before you supplement with formula or wean. I can understand how you are a runner and probably need to run to feel like a whole person but your dd needs bm for such a short time (in the big picture of life) but it will help her grow healthy and strong. Studies show that just one bottle of formula upsets the flora balance in the gut. And, the closer to a year your dd gets, the more likely she'll eat more solids and your supply won't be the main source of her calories. One other thought... night nursing tends to keep milk production elevated so if your dd just recently cut back from 5 to 1 or 2 feedings at night, this could also be having an impact which may exascerbate (sp?) any negative effects from running. Ok, I'll get off the box now.

ND has sent me a couple pm's lately (turns out we live about 12 miles apart :LOL ) and each time I see the message in my email "you have a new private message from Naughty Dingo", I just crack up! : I think we all need to hear the story of how that username came to be.

Planning to run tomorrow and over the weekend. Dh bought a bike for himself so now I can actually run in the evenings with ds when he bikes with dd. Yea! Hopefully that will make it easier for me to run more often.

Still thinking about Poppy.
#28 of 523 Old 09-01-2005, 11:07 AM

I judge that my supply is lower because of how much milk DD is getting. My let down is really fast, and DD guzzles. When I have low supply it takes FOREVER for my milk to even let down, and then she only gets a bit before I hear her stop swallowing, but she's still sucking like crazy. I try and try to give her as much solids as I can, but she's just not that in to them. She prefers mama. I had tried giving her watered down juice in a sippy a couple of months ago, but her pediatrician told me not to - to make sure she is getting full (and getting her calories from) on bm. She wouldn't drink it anyway. She gave me a look like "What are you trying to do? Poison me?"

It could be calories, although I feel like I eat a ton. I always eat when I'm hungry, and I've used that as my guide. I will try fenugreek and more protein. I drink a nursing tea every day, and eat oatmeal cookies. I'm hoping it won't be so bad when it gets cooler, and running for me is so much easier in the cold.

DD has a tooth that is ALMOST through, and she's turned into whiney baby. She was also awake from 3:20-5:00 am. So much for getting more sleep! I'll be napping when she naps today.

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#29 of 523 Old 09-01-2005, 02:39 PM

The thread is moving fast already! Thanks for the new one Kerc.

Geo-sorry you still have the pukes.

I've been walking everyday. Keeping to my goals. Day 5 of 5 this week. 15 miles total for the week so far. Feeling pretty good. Only one more 4-8 shift left next week and then I will be off for awhile. Can't wait. I have so much to get done around here still. Glad everyone is doing well. Good luck with all your upcoming races this month.

Patti
#30 of 523 Old 09-01-2005, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti Ann
I've been walking everyday. Keeping to my goals. Day 5 of 5 this week. 15 miles total for the week so far.
WTG Patti!

eek, I hope poppy is ok. I wish we were all closer than cyber space so we could go help with the kids, you know?

Monika - welcome back. I'd say try for eating more calories to help with breastmilk supply. Then resort to alternatives like not running, etc.

I ran with erin last night (1/4 mile), then romped all over the playground with her. Had yoga class and was totally wired after that at 930. So i went to my office and got some work done and got a bit of data processed that should make my writing for next week's thursday deadline easier. I went to the chiropractor this morning and she managed to loosen my ligament on the right side, baby flipped right back out of posterior position. So I'm going back at least weekly until this baby comes. The chiro's business partner is a super nice prenatal massage person. So I'm booking myself for a nice massage for next week after my deadlines pass. ahhhhhh.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page