Mothering Forum banner

running after the naughty dingos in late october..

6K views 342 replies 26 participants last post by  Runningmommy 
#1 ·
i did it.started a new thread that is.

welcome one and all to the new thread -- a wonderful source of support for running/walking/inbetween moms and moms to be. We're a group of women who represent all ability and fitness levels.

plan for me:
walk every other day this week and every day the next week.
i'm supposed to begin work again late this week, so exercise is almost exclusively going to my dumb computer lab job.

Patti Ann, I was thinking of you and Griffin this morning.

Shantimama - sorry for your loss

Loftmama - the "stuff" is just stuff and if you haven't needed it in two years, chances are good the memories are still there even if the stuff is not.

Hollysmom, kpinny, geofizz, mamabeth, ND, BBM and any other pg mamas I missed - hope you're all doing well.

Mamabeth - I'm glad you've decided on a plan for the week. Low pressure is supposed to move through the south later this week -- maybe it will bring baby along.

Ok my older dd needs her diaper changed. Sigh. I thought I might see a week long break in washing diapers between the two. Not a chance. I guess I didn't really get used to no diapers though...speaking of which: Geofizz sent me this great soaker. Baby pictures to come later today after the camera charges.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm here! I've finally admitted to myself that I'm walking until at least a few weeks after Fizzlet arrives. I'm walking to the shuttle bus in the mornings, walking home from the shuttle via daycare in the afternoon, giving me about 15 miles a week walking. I'm sooooooo antsy to be running, though!

#4 ·
Morning mamas! Thanks for all the advice with the kiddos and ds. I have grocery day on Weds so I'm going to plan our meals and buy accordingly. I think prepping veggies etc would help motivate the process. And as much as I hate the notion of rising before dawn, a few days of week of some ungodly hour might make me feel less stressed during the evening.

I did my usual circuit last night plus some. I forgot my watch but it had to be at least another 5 or so minutes and I wasn't tired. Tonight I am going to run a different route, including the super steep hill. I think I am ready for some new challenges. Hopefully I will be ready this weekend for another 4.5-5 miler. I feel like I need to tell you all so that I actually do these things sometimes!

Runningmommy- Hope the ankle is feeling better. I can identify with wanting to run everyday. Once you get into that flow I'm afraid to disturb it like I'll never get back.

Dr.Jen- I agree with ND. We hand raised our last kitty. I felt like an absolute fool at times, howling and such but he definitely learned to stop the ankle bitting etc. He's now a sweet, loving little boy who lets the kiddos carry him like a rag doll(when we're not looking of course).

Loftmama:
about your things!

PO6- I am always super paranoid about health things like that too. Hopefully things will resolve quickly on their own.

Have great walk/run/jog/rest today mamas!

#5 ·
just subscribing. thanks, kerc, you awesome woman, for starting this. washing diapers for 2 indeed!

i think that hard workout yesterday at the track woke up some sound asleep muscles. for the first time in ages, i have this really great soreness and the muscles are raring to go. i feel like a horse stomping at the bit. i can't go run right now as we're packing to leave, but i hope i can get in a run as soon as we get there.

hey geo - yay for all that walking! we need a walking pregnant smilie (or in mamabeth's case, a running pregnant smilie.)

2babybees - good luck on that hill run.

welcome kalynnsmom.

#6 ·
oh yeah and

stuff is stuff.

i grew up in a tiny, no stoplight town. when i took dh to visit, we decided to make some pizza and went down to the only place for miles to get some. when i asked the worker/owner what kind of cheese he had he said, "Cheese is cheese." :LOL This has become a joke for us. Cheese is cheese and Stuff is stuff.

#7 ·
Back from our trip.

The flight was fine and I felt not too sick so that was definitely a plus.

The wedding was really nice and for some reason on that day I felt fine all day and night. I even stayed at the reception until the end at 1:00am. I was totally shocked. However the sickness came back with a vengence the next day.

Didn't run while we were away, but did lots of walking...at least an hour a day, so I feel like I did something.

I did read the old thread, but I have to go out for a bit so not much in way of personals.

Patti Ann -

mamabeth - I hope today is the day that baby decides to show its beautiful face

loftmama -
Sorry about you stuff.

I'll be back for more personals later

#9 ·
Quick subbing while DH and DD are on a walk. Thx Kerc for the new thread!

Welcome back Hollysmom!

Kalynnsmom, this is what I did for my first 5K last month and it worked for me: 2 hours before, small bowl of plain oatmeal. Sipped on water and gatorade in hours before race. 15 mins before gun, a packet of banana Hammer Gel. Felt great! Good luck!

Shin feels ok today so will try to do my LR this afternoon.

'later, ladies

#10 ·
thanks for the new thread Kerc, the other one was becoming quite intimidating.

Kalynnsmom - my usual pre-race breakfast is a homemade egg and cheese sandwhich (egg cooked in the microwave, no added oils, cheese is Cabot Cheddar) on whole grain bread and a banana and lots of water. for a 5 K you might not need that much food, it just depends on how much time you have between eating and running.

here's a question for everyone - what was your first race/running event, how did it go and do you still have the shirt?

mine was the Carlsbad 5000 - 2002? 5K in Carlsbad, CA near the ocean. 3.1 miles felt pretty darn far that day but i ran the whole thing. the shirt is one of my favorites for sleeping.

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geofizz
That soaker is sooooooo tiny.

hmmm, obviously you don't have 8 lb babies! :LOL it fits great, but it isn't too small by any means and over some of the fitted diapers I made it is absolutely perfect.

I went for a walk around our block. Probably 1/4 mile but my, well best way to describe it is abdominal floor, is tired. So i called it quits before doing the second lap accompanying the child on trike. Erik is out with both kids.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by grnmtnmama
here's a question for everyone - what was your first race/running event, how did it go and do you still have the shirt?
1992 Bay To Breakers. 7.4 miles, which I did in 64 minutes. No costume. I think the t-shirt became a rag several years ago.

#13 ·
I think I overdid it on my run this morning. It was going great until near the end (about 5km mark) and my knees started to hurt a little. I decided to keep running sicne I only had about another 100m to go. Now I can barely manage walking down stairs, and when I do it takes a few minutes for the pain to subside. Maybe it is a good thing I will be in the car most of the day tomorow and sitting in meetings all day Thursday. I have to leave here by 6am tomorrow so I will do some yoga when I wake up and see how the knees are Thursday morning and either do a short run or yoga again before the meetings begin.

kerc, you have to go back to work already? Yikes! Good for you to be getting some walks in. Take it easy for awhile still! I found 2 in cloth diapers do-able, but for a short time we had 3 and I thought I would lose my mind. Thank goodness the oldest got out of diapers before too long.

first race/run -Terry Fox run, I forget how long ago. ds now wears all my old TFR shirts to bed.

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by grnmtnmama
since HS X-country (woah, back in '84)... a mere 12 year hiatus to the 1996 Race for the Cure in Boston (5K). I think I did a 23:50something. I have the race number somewhere and the shirt may have just graduated to rag status this summer.

geo- I hear bay to breakers is a ton-o-fun.

loftmama - oy, I hope you find your pics especially in decent shape.

re: running on a sprained ankle - the only advice that I didn't see was to be sure not to run while medicated (ibuprofen, tylenol etc) -you'll want to know if it hurts.

shantimama - I am sorry for your loss. Safe travels and do enjoy the time with your old friends - the only redeeming quality of a funeral in my opinion.

come on mamabeth!

kerc - way to go on the walking, be sure to take it easy on yourself!

I walked and did yoga yesterday - today was a farm day, man eggplants are heavy!

kathy

#15 ·
Thnx Kerc for the new thread (oh, and I had the same prob. w/ my 'floor' after DD. Kegels kegels kegels....yeah, I know)

First race; Crested Butte 'Marathon' in 1996 - 8 miles at 9000 ft. elevation. I was in good shape so went out hard - ha! Had to pull over with the trots and then to throw up. Made it across the finish somewhere in the middle and got a sweet poster that fell apart over the years. Ive always wanted to run it again just for another poster.....I live *only* 7 hrs away now....

#16 ·
Hi you guys! Thanks for starting a new thread Kerc

LoftMama, I would wear a mask, I don't know what kind of filtration level you would need to keep out mold spores though…. ND comes from a Richard Scarry character who drives too fast, is a bit disruptive, and always looks like he is having fun

Patti, I hope you are having nice weather and that you are having some peaceful walks. How are you doing Mama? How is the rest of your family?

GrnMnt. Your workout will be of benefit to you even if it wasn't as planned. I always feel that at the point in marathon training that you are, doing less than intended is actually better, because it allows you to rest. You have the base that you need for the race, and rest will give you more strength in the end. I ran the Marine Corps marathon and it was a blast. There were marines all along the route singing stuff to us and encouraging us on the route. And the scenery was amazing. I am excited for you.

Shanti, I am sorry about your friend
Your weekend sounds nice. I still feel like a dork that I didn't figure it out that your Thanksgiving is earlier than the US thanksgiving. Doh!

Hi Kalynn's mom. Welcome. I usually eat something light like a piece of toast before a race. I also like having some caffeine. I usually try to eat at least an hour before the race. But a 5K is short enough and similar enough to normal training runs that really anything can go. Good for you for doing a race. You will be inspired.

Mamabeth, the positioning thing is so important. Both in terms of getting a labor to happen, and to have a productive labor. Have you seen this website? Optimal fetal positioning. optimal fetal positoning and more fetal positioning It discusses different exercises you can do to encourage good fetal positioning and make your labor easier. And you know what? You have a lot of days left before next Monday. You are doing great Mama. You

2Babies, that sounds like a good plan Mama

Welcome home Holly's mom, how cool is that that you felt good for the wedding. Woohoo, we missed you Mama.

Grnmtn: what was my first race? Well I did a 1 mile cross country race when I was 10 for our school's field day. But as far as an official race, that must have been a cross country race I did in high school. Saksia's Mom, your first race sounds totally hard core….and fun!

I ran today, did a short 30 minute loop that I did when I was pregnant with DD2. I am in so much better shape this time around. The run was really nice, I still have some areas of muscle fatigue from my runs this weekend, but I felt relaxed and comfortable. I also got signed up for the Y so I can finally go swimming. YEAH!

Here are some pics of the little dingos at the park after our run on Sunday. I haven't shared them in a while..
Little Dingo #2 and Little Dingo #1 I swear, DD1 cavorts like a little goat. Do you know what I am talking about? When baby goats leap and jump and race around all crazy? That is just like my daughter. It is the cutest thing ever.

Bye, ND

#17 ·
Hi everyone

Thanks for starting the new thread, Kerc! I'll try to catch up on the old thread tonight, if I can, mabye come back with some personals.

First race - I think it was the Bolder Boulder 10K in 1988. I also did the locally famous Owl Bar run (13 miler) around that time, but no tee-shirt for that one, just a green chile cheeseburger and a beer at the end.

This week's goals:
Walk Mon-Friday at lunch with DH. (I'm so glad he's getting into walking with me!)
Run Mon, Wed and Fri. (I already ran on Monday, finally got back out there!)
Dance Mon. and Wed. (this will be easy to do, I'm covering a friends class for her while she's out of town)
Yoga 2x (It's getting so hard to find time for yoga!)

My other big news is that I am really getting into this job hunting thing. I have a post-doc right now, and it can be extended for 2 more years, but I've started seriously looking for a faculty position. I've sent out a lot of letters and CV's and should probably start hearing from people soon. Dh has also been looking around, and we've both got applications in for a reserach institute in Scotland. We're really hoping something will come through there.

Even if nothing comes of this job hunt, we are still selling our place. The prospect of building right now is pretty stressful for dh, especially with uncertain job issues. We're also pretty far out of town, and are living in a tiny space. I'm also going through a major purge of stuff, trying to get ready to move, possibly overseas.

So, lots of excitement!

#18 ·
Athansor, Scotland? How cool is that? You know, if you move to Scotland, you may just have a pack of runners knocking on your door :LOL Good luck on the job search. Does it look like there are some good positions for both of you at the same universities? I hope so. It is hard to find two jobs. Complicated.

ND

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naughty Dingo
Saskia's Mom, your first race sounds totally hard core….and fun!
...and stupid. It is just like me to throw myself in ('surrrrre...front of the pack') and then suffer....and then throw myself in, and suffer, and so on. It drives Dh crazy. Apparently I have to learn the hard way, and on my own. Its effective, but maybe not as pleasant? And whatdaya know, DD is turning out to be the same. Karmic retribution.....Dh just laughs when she says something to me that I have said to him "dont touch me", "dont hold my hand" "let me do it myself" "stop helping me" :LOL

ND - CUTIE PIES!!

#20 ·
Kerc-Thanks for the new thread. Sounds like you've been busy. Enjoy the rest of your time off with Leah and Erin.

ND-Glad you got out and ran. Have fun swimming at the Y too. Cute pictures.Thanks for asking about us. We are doing alright.slowly getting back into the swing of things Sometimes I feel like I'm in a fog and then I realize that yes this has really happened to us.

grnmtnmama-My first race was a local 5K last July. Dh ran it with me and I ran 26:52. Think I got rid of the shirt. It was only 50% cotton. Sound like you will be just fine for the marathon. Will we be able to follow you like we did with mamabeth.

Mamabeth-Glad the NST went well. How was the BPP today? Lots of baby and labor vibes for you. Hang in there. We're cheering for you.

athansor-Sounds like some great goals. Glad dh is getting some exercise. That would be a big move. Good luck with whatever the future holds.

saskiasmom-sounds like some race.

kpinny-Enjoy the eggplant. Way to keep moving.

Geo-Sounds like great exercise. I think dh's sister won the Bay to Breakers one year in the early to mid 90's.

shantimama-Sorry about your friend.

lucenamama-hope you got the LR in.

loftmama-Hope you are able to salvage a few things.

2babybees-Hope you got your run in. You're doing great.

Hollysmom-Welcome back. Glad you felt great for the wedding and had fun.

I got out a walked my 3 miles today. About another week and a half until I can start back in with the running.

Patti

#22 ·
I'm back from the most wonderful day of snuggling with the most handsome baby ever.

The client changed her mind about wanting all nights, so I worked all day today instead. It was nice...dh and I had the evening together without the kids. The house was soooo quiet. We ordered chinese takeout and watched TV together. It was nice and relaxing after such a scarry afternoon.

He's still fine today...no reoccurance, so I'm crossing my fingers that it was a fluke. Thanks for all of the well wishes.

I got a great 5 mile run in this morning on the treadmill....then I was on my way to work, and realized that I didn't have the kids and I could have run on the road...
Oh well, it was still a good run.

I wish I had more time for personals, but I need to spend time with the kids!

~ To all!

#23 ·
This has to be quick, so no time for personals.
Know that I love you all, and enjoy your company.

I started WAH for real yesterday and it was crazy. (I'm an accountant, for anyone who is curious.) Luckily today was more mellow. I think I'm going to be able to handle it, but there will be some crazy, insane days for sure. These days affect my whole family, so here's hoping we can hang in there and enjoy my paycheck going straight into our saving's account. (So DH doesn't have to work at Walmart when he is 65.)

I'm still doing pretty good with my goals - I missed 1 run and 1 yoga workout, but I'm going to try and make them up this week or next, depending on my workload. Tonight's run was lovely.. perfect weather. The high was 64 today. I hope this lasts for a bit before we go straight into butt cold.

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MonikitaUT
(So DH doesn't have to work at Walmart when he is 65.)
let's hope none of us have to work there!! Hope the WAH option smooths out and goes well.

I called my boss and told her I was coming for 50% of my time this friday and 50% of my time tuesday before going back to my normal schedule. She was good with it and even won't be there friday, so I'm making it a shorter day! No one will ever be the wiser.

those of you following the crappy advisor story: I broke down and worked on my paper. Much as I suspected it will be ready to submit to a journal within 10 days. Unfortunately my advisor's "deadline" is saturday and I'm not going to make that any way I figure it.

#25 ·
ND, your babes are waaay too cute! They have my dream hair.

Shanti,
I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Hope your knees feel better soon.

Pof6, Chinese takeout and TV -- what a great nite! Got my
: your DH's thing was a fluke.

Athansor, good luck w/the job hunt. Scotland -- exciting! DH and I were just talking today about living in Mexico for a few months (he's a freelancer and could work anywhere. I'm a SAHM, and well, I have to work everywhere!).

Saskiasmom, you sound like fun. One of these days when we're both in the East Bay we should meet up and have a beer.

Kerc, wow, back to work soon. Hope the transition goes well.

Patti Ann, glad to hear you'll be running w/us dingos again soon.

: to everyone else!

Did my LR (70 mins) today. It was a mixed bag. Downers: got shaky in the middle, had to stop and drink and to pee, and I can never seem to pace it right. Upside: my shin felt fine
, felt strong at the end, and I got to wave hello to Poppy and her kids on my penultimate loop around the park (hi Poppy!
).

My actual first race was a 100 yard dash in 1988 when I was on the track team (for about a minute). I was in a league w/VERY FAST girls who were at home having dinner by the time I got to the finish.
:

My first latter day race was last month Race for the Cure and am waiting for a tshirt (they ran out of my size).
:

#26 ·
I ran 3 miles on the treadmill tonight while I watched the White Sox lose the first game of the ALCS. Sigh. Tomorrow will try for some speed work.

Ds's last home meet was good. His team won, with 3 of the seniors in the scoring top 5, including ds. The home course is very tough, with lots of hills, and he ran a respectable 18:44 for 3 miles. And that's it for home meets. The team conference meet is this Saturday, then regionals next Sat., and if they qualify, sectionals the Sat. after that. There's a fairly good chance they'll qualify for sectionals. The only problem this weekend is that he also has his last marching band competition the same day as the cross country team conference meet. He runs at 11 am in Rock Falls, IL, and then the marching competition is at 3:30pm, with a warm-up at 3 pm at U of I in Champaign. It's almost 200 miles from Rock Falls to Champaign. Think we can make it? If he crosses the finish line and heads straight for the car, we could be on the road by 11:45 probably - but it's 3 hours to Champaign so we'd really be pushing it. I hate for him to miss either event, though, so I think we're going to try. His band director came to the meet tonight and was really supportive, which is nice. Sometimes high school coaches and directors of things seem to think the world revolves around their sport or activity and he is really good about encouraging the kids to be involved in more than just his activity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.