November W/W Thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-19-2005, 05:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
AAAAAAH!!! I'm waaaaaay behind here LOL!

***But better late than never! CONGRATS JULIE!!!!! You go girl!

and

***I vote for throwing out the scales! That was the first thing I did when I started WW this time around. Yup. I keep telling my mom this every week when she gives me the rundown of her daily WI's. Oh boy.

and

I knew just where to go to find out the scoop on the ddddc activity... this is my first one too! Whoever did it, you are a sweetheart seriously it was so touching to notice that under my name. I almost cried. So cool that several of us got blasted with em together. Truth be told that the Mama who did it is the REAL Motivational Mama.

Soooooo

Since I'm so behind here I can't remember all the people that lost but I know there were a bunch. Big fat congrats Oh man, I am always sticking my foot in my mouth for lack of better expressions and now I'm addicted to smilies too with Jen.

Less than 10 lbs from 10%... still shrinking.

Ima to Mizz.Jonas- 14, Isman- 12,Javsar- 9, Nani Gweesa- 4 and Baby Micah born into the Universe sleeping at full term Oct. 19th 2008 and Partner to Abba ~ belly.gif8/2011  Grateful to be Dead  broc1.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2005, 06:02 PM

Ok, people.... : I am officially a nut. I completely obsessed ALL NIGHT about wi today. 5-1/4 pounds... Oh my! BTW, in college I was also one of "those" who were convinced that they didn't do well and then ended up setting the curve. Some things never change!

So, I am jubiliant in my weekly success and I think for now, I will stick with what I am doing. And yes, the scale must go bye-bye. During the meeting today they had a pretend turkey day table and we had to calculate how many points we would eat if we didn't care about our weight....Yeah, well, mine was in the 70s. Whoa. It's scary to think how much I used to eat. Barf. My dh was horrified when he saw how many points were in his fave food. But not too horrified...we went to the mall today and I got my 7 point sub from Subway and he got deep fried chix and chili cheese fries and Mountain Dew. Cruel man. He was embarrassed.

On to turkey week! What strategies will everyone be using this week?

Renée
Old 11-19-2005, 06:28 PM

well im eating really well fofr the rest of the week so i dont have to worry too much at turkey day, LOL. But turkey day is on my "day off" and i am usually pretty good anyway. What always gets me is the apple pie

Some tricks for turkday day tho... if you like to have "Seconds" only give yourself half sized portions the first trip than take the other half the second trip. Our leader gave us a crustless pumpkin pie recipe if anyone wants it Thankfully im not a fan of pumpkin pie.... but apple pie... watch out

Congrats Renee!!! Thats an awesome loss for your first week! May this next week be as fullfilling for you
Old 11-19-2005, 10:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tiffany, I'd love that pumpkin pie recipe!

RENEE!!! Congratulations to you! That's so wonderful. It really motivates you to keep going, doesn't it?
Old 11-20-2005, 02:36 AM

Renee! Holy moly Mama! I want to be just like you when I grow up What's your secret? Do share if you don't mind what your day to day routine is like... if you don't mind

Ima to Mizz.Jonas- 14, Isman- 12,Javsar- 9, Nani Gweesa- 4 and Baby Micah born into the Universe sleeping at full term Oct. 19th 2008 and Partner to Abba ~ belly.gif8/2011  Grateful to be Dead  broc1.gif
Old 11-20-2005, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter

Sounds like our group is having some great success this week! I was also down another 1 pound today, and am feeling fine with it. It seems that the closer I get to my goal, the slower going it is.

My strategy for Turkey day will be to do a 60-90 minute work out in the morning, eat sparingly throughout the day, then eat whatever I want for dinner/dessert. Since I am eating at a relative's house, I doubt that I will make too much of a pig of myself, as I do have my pride.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:05 PM

"Since I am eating at a relative's house, I doubt that I will make too much of a pig of myself, as I do have my pride." Yup. I can relate. I had forgotten that until now. I didn't really think seriously about exercising that morning. Guess I do now. Does anyone have that recipe for the pumpkin pie with the phyllo dough? If so, post it, please!

Milkymommi, here's my routine. First of all I plan ALL my meals for the week and calculate the points for each dinner. I always have oatmeal w/milk for breakfast and I usually have leftovers for lunch so dinner is the only meal I have to plan. I eat breakfast btw 8-9:30, lunch btw 11-12 and dinner is anytime after 5p. I always make sure that I have some healthy lowpoint snack for the evening, 'cause I usually have the munchies in the evening. That's really it.

That's also a good point about planning to take seconds and taking only 1/2 the amount the first time. For some reason I always like seconds better anyway....

Good luck everyone!
Renée
Old 11-20-2005, 01:42 PM

That's awesome... I find myself skipping breakfast lately : You seem to have a very consistant routine which has to be great for your metabalism. I need to start eating my oatmeal again

Old 11-20-2005, 06:56 PM

Wow, Renee, what an incredible 1st week! :

So does anyone else find themselves starving during their period? I have been having very few problems since I started WW but AF arrived today and I can not get enough food. It also seems to be much heavier. Sorry for TMI but 3 tampons soaked in 6 hours. Any idea if that is related to the change in diet?
Old 11-20-2005, 10:14 PM

Holy cow, you've all been chatting up a storm. I love it! It's so much fun to catch up with you all.

Wow. Now we all know Tnrs' secret real name. Cool. My secret for you Stephanie, is that I've been off program all weekend and I didn't want to post it here because you and I had a plan of staying on program until weighing in on Wednesday, before Thanksgiving. Neither of us did that!!! I have no idea when I'll weigh in. Maybe I'll just go when I feel skinny.

I'm eating badly because we're moving. Eating poorly is my stress relief because beating your DH is illegal in most states. I don't want to live in the great north!! Also, I don't know where to buy crack in this city and I only like girlie drinks so alcoholism is out. Oy.

Stephanie, I did tend to need more calories at my period and had my smallest losses at that time. The glorious thing was that the following week was usually my largest loss for the month.

Anyone else feel like their life with their toddler should just count as one big activity point?

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:26 PM

Jen, I so needed to hear from you.
I think I will try to do OK on Thursday and still WI on Friday. Or maybe I will just do it Wednesday and have an awesome loss next Friday.

Jen, where are you moving to? Oh and you can beat your dh, we won't tell.

And YES I think parenting these kids should count for something.

I have had a rough day all around. Besides starting AF, I had this to deal with
http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...d.php?t=373122
Old 11-20-2005, 11:13 PM

Jen, I think you could even get activity points for beating your dh

I can totally understand your moving stress. I hope things settle down for you soon

Stephanie, I haven't started my period since having my baby (she's 3.5 mths), but it totally makes sense that you would be hungrier during that time--I do think that af requires more energy from you. Good luck!
Old 11-21-2005, 02:35 AM

See Stephanie, I can't figure out how to do it either. If I stick to my original plan still and WI on Wednesday after being on program for the next 3 days, I should theoretically have a tiny loss. If I wait until Friday, I'll probably have a gain. You decide!
And I emailed Target too!

We are moving to Traverse City.

It's good to know I can beat DH for APs!!! Perhaps I can get Renee in on the act...

Writer, I didn't realzie our babes were so close in age.

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:43 AM

Hey Jen, thanks for e-mailing. I am calling the papers and news stations today.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

I wonder how many points a good dh beating would be worth. Meanwhile, I am racking up those toddler points left and right.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:56 PM

Tnrsmom, I'm off to email them, too. That makes me really mad. I'm just so tired of how violent video games (and tv shows and movies and personal behavior) is becoming so acceptable to everyone. It's very insidious.

Jennifer, I just read your ds's b-day and it's exactly one month before my dd--she was born Aug 10. Love those sweet newborns!

Now, the toddlers. . . LOL. They do give you a run for your money!

Suzetta, how are you doing??
Old 11-21-2005, 04:25 PM

Renee! That's a FANTASTIC loss! Way to go Oh, and do you remember how many points were in a small piece of your apple crisp? We had lunch at friends and I had a small piece of homemade apple crisp so I'm curious how many points that set me back. And I had to chuckle at your comment about how you felt after exams vs. your actual results. I swear we must be twins separated at birth, lol. I am SO known for that same thing.

Tnrsmom, that would make me really mad too. We don't have target in Canada but I have been to one in the US when visiting so I'm surprised that somebody didn't catch that stupidity before it went out to 1300 stores!

Jen, when is Turkey day? did it just pass or is it coming? I think you should go for it on Wednesday. That way if you've lost, you'll feel good and if you haven't it can motivate you to get back on program before going too far the other way. Moving is VERY stressful. From the time we found out we had to move (last March) until I joined WW(12 weeks ago) I gained about 25lbs. It was a terrible summer for that for me. So I know how you feel. I wish I had been on WW and in this group during that time, I probably would have handled it much better.

As for me, I'm having a pretty good food week. Still not doing great on the exercise. I managed to avoid a couple of big splurges that I could have taken advantage of even though I tried telling myself that 4.8lbs last week deserved a splurge.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:26 PM

oh, and I don't have a clue what my dddc means!

jen, I don't know what yours means either, lol.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:37 PM

Julie, read back in the thread.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:09 PM

Hey mamas

Here is one crustless pumpkin pie recipe... obviously you can substiute the splenda for sugar and it will be slightly more points. the recipe our leader gave us was only 6 points for a whole pie so i need to find that one and see how it differs from this one!

Quote:
Crustless Pumpkin Pie

Serving Size : 8

1 can pumpkin -- (15 oz)
1 can evaporated skim milk -- (12 oz)
3/4 cup egg substitute -- (or 3 egg whites)
1/2 tsp salt
3 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp vanilla
2/3 C. Splenda -- (or sugar) or to taste

Combine all ingredients and beat until smooth.

Pour into a 9" sprayed pie pan

Bake at 400 for 15 minutes, and then at 325 for 45 minutes or until a
knife inserted in center comes out clean.

Description:
"shared by Beckbrock"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 69 Calories; 3g Fat (35.1% calories
from fat); 5g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 2mg
Cholesterol; 215mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2
Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat.

NOTES : Serves 8
Whole Pie: 8 points (or ONE pt. for 1/8 pie)

TIP!
Top this pie with a little fat free Cool-Whip for even
more of a treat! Counts as a vegetable serving and high in
fiber!
I'm doing ok this week tho i did have a couple of chocolate bars last night This week is going by so fast!
Old 11-21-2005, 06:08 PM

Tiff, that recipe looks great!! Thanks so much. I may have to make one tonight so I can "test" it before serving it to others. Hey only 4 pts for 1/2 pie, I can handle that.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:23 PM

Uhhhh, apple crisp? Well, it depends on how much sugar is in the recipe. Mine is 5 pts for a decent serving (maybe 1 cup?). I don't add sugar with the apples, only in the oatmeal topping.

8 points for a WHOLE pie!!!! <<drool>> MMmmmmm...PIE!

I have a small confession to make...(please don't kick me off your thread) my husband owns Call of Duty <<gasp>> and I bought it for him. : PLEASE bear in mind that this was WAY before children. Still.... I didn't know that it was so violent until he started playing it (that is the LAST time I listen to pubescent boys at Best Buy!). To be honest, I hate the game. It's horrible. If any of you have been unfortunate enough to see "Saving Private Ryan", Call of Duty looks EXACTLY like the opening scene. Horrible. Makes me sick. Kudos (oh, yum) to you, trnsmom, to take a stand!

So, Jen, if you gain b/c you are moving, does that give me permission to do the same <<sniff>> Yes, I would help you in your quest for AP, but your dh DID help my poor boob (Aren't you all DYIN' to know what that's about) Heh, heh.

Oh, re: AF. Yes! It makes sense that you are starving...it's the hormones, and you may not lose alot this week b/c of the hormones (water retention, etc...). Increase water, reduce salt. AHHHH! I sound like my mother!

Julie, we are of like mind. Scary, isn't it!?! Ha, ha.

I have to go to the doctor tomorrow to have some suspicious skin lesions checked out. I am resisting the urge to devour all the food in sight. A co-worker of mine died from melanoma....this just freaks me out. Cross your fingers!

Oh, Jen, if you read this before tomorrow, can you bring your pedometer? I'd like to try it out. OR has anyone bought the WW pedometer? Do you like it? I am all into measurable goals right now (dork, party of one)...I think a pedometer would help.

Alas, I digress. Good night!
Renée
Old 11-21-2005, 11:37 PM

Renee, I have absolutely nothing against the game itself. I do not care who buys and plays it, especially a grown man, my dad plays games like that all the time. The issue I have is that it is a game rated T and very violent and should NOT be shown in a store like Target.

Thanks for the tip on AF. I have managed to stay within my points but we'll see. I have been drinking a Ton of water and I think I was in the bathroom 20 times before noon today.

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. Let us know what the Dr says.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:48 AM

I'm always STARVING during my AF. Its really hard to stay on program that week :LOL I actually think mine is about to show up because i have been seriously craving sugar for the past 2 days.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:05 PM

Okay, I weighed-in last night and lost 2.4 lbs.

Here are my stats:

SW: 171.6
CW: 158.8
GW: 130ish
10% 5.2 lbs away

I feel good about that loss, but I really need to exercise. It's been nearly 2 wks without anything! I feel so weak. So, that needs to be my goal. I'm going to try to do *something* physical everyday--even if it's a 10 minute walk on the treadmill.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:00 PM

Everything went well at the Dr. Nothing to worry about yet, but since quite a few of my family members have had cancerous or pre-cancerous lesions removed, I had a full skin exam which we will repeat every year. I swear, arriving at the 30 yr mark has certainly changed things... Good year to make changes though.

I haven't had the pleasure of AF's arrival since 12.25.03 (b-4 dd), but I remember how kooky I would feel right before. I was starving and craving carbs all the time. I don't quite remember the exact reason, but hopefully, I will remember here soon.

Well, dd is signing for her "milk" so I must answer the call.

Oh, I have actually lost 8 lbs overall! Last time I was weighed at the dr I was 8 pounds heavier.

Dd is melting....
Renée
Old 11-22-2005, 06:00 PM

Writermama, awesome! I'm hoping for results along those lines too this week. Maybe I'm setting myself up I don't know

Yep, AF is misery time. I am so flipping hungry just before and during especially for chocolate and peanut butter. Last cycle I had a super small loss during that time but I seriously didn't go over points or anything. I think I was just majorly bloated. I lost 3 lbs the next wi. So to combat my craving without overindulgence I grabbed ( and will grab again LOL) an unbelieveable fat burning protein shake called the PMS special from my gym as a meal replacement. Let me tell you what! It's chocolate, banana and low fat peanut butter with non fat yogurt and fat burning protein and of course ice or whatever and about 8 points. Baby talk about worth it.When I'm hurtin' this is my answer

Old 11-22-2005, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

WTG Writermama!

I am right there with you all...frustrated during those AF weeks!

I have found that when I am craving the sweets, a good snack is either an apple or banana with 1/4 cup of either peanuts or walnuts. Somehow, that combination really works. I read it in the SB diet book. The apple gives you the sweet, but the healthy fat in the nuts makes it so that you don't get the whole cycle of your blood sugar rising then dramatically dropping. Also, try eating just a piece or two of dark chocolate instead of the sweeter milk chocolate. I have just been trying to stay away from the chocolate and sweets altogether. I do know that if you save your sweet indulgence for later on in the evening you are less likely to go overboard as well.

I have been reallly trying to stay strictly within my points this week, as well as working for extra activity points. I really want to relax and enjoy Thanksgiving, without feelin guilty or worried. I am planning my 6 point workout as I go. I think I will do 30 minutes on the treadmill and my extra challenging weightlifting tape.

Anybody ever try tapes by Cathe Friedrich? If you like to be challenged with weights, you should make sure to put one of these on your Christmas wish list.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:23 PM

Awesome loss writermama! Good for you .

Renee, I'm glad to hear it's not too serious. I am SO regretting the time I've spent in the sun in my teens and early 20's. I have so many freckles/beauty marks or whatever you want to call them that I wasn't born with. I'm always looking to see if one of them starts going kooky.

I am really craving tonight. I think I'm around O time right now so don't know if that's the reason. Also, dh is out for the night and I always find that when he's out or away I cave more easily to the cravings. There is a half package of macaroni and cheese in the fridge left from the kids' lunch yesterday and I am so tempted to get into it after they are in bed. I only have 1.5pts left for the day so it will have to be flexpoints. And I'm only 2 days from wi so i'd rather not eat the fp's now. Can someone help me? Convince me not to? Pleeeeeease?
Old 11-22-2005, 10:15 PM

Julie, you can do it!! Grab some carrots or an apple. Do you have any of the 100 calorie pack treats? They are 2 points and have saved me many times. I have tried both the Oreo and Cheese Nips so far. Both are great. I keep one or two in my car at all times to help with those "I need something to eat now and there is a Taco Bell just ahead" moments.

User Tag List