running, wogging, walking mamas - NOV - it's cold! - Page 24 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#691 of 708 Old 11-30-2005, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dawn - : Can you get that checked out further?

and 25 miles for me? oh, my. have i come that far? i'm being encouraged and enboldened? is that a word? it should be. or something like that. maybe i'll get my wimpy b-hind out the door and run before my scheduled saturday long run. you do inspire me ladies.

names? hmmmm.....let's get our thinking caps on and throw them out there.

mama jocks
mdc dingo-babes
mamas on the move

don't flame me for being lame.

i don't want to leave out those who aren't moms yet, but we are all women. aren't we?

thinkingthinkingthinking...

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#692 of 708 Old 11-30-2005, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey, anyone heard from JenLove lately?
#693 of 708 Old 11-30-2005, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz
Hey, anyone heard from JenLove lately?
No! I have been missing her posts. I'm hoping it's just end of the semester stuff keeping her away...

I ran 4 miles on lunch again. Felt worse than yesterday but was faster. I am going to try try try to run at lunch and then again after work. It gets dark so early these days I can never get more than three miles in after work and it is driving me crazy. So between the two I am hoping for 7 miles tomorrow. I think I am a complete running right now.

Hope everyone who is ailing is feeling better...pumpkinseed, Patti Ann, Poppy, EKs....

dawnadelle-make an appt with your doc!

Alright I have to get back knitting. Why oh why do I wait till a month before Xmas to start these projects??!!
#694 of 708 Old 11-30-2005, 10:13 PM

Dawn, whoa, that is scary... please get it checked out pronto!

OK I am going to try to take my hacking self out and run 3 miles. If I can only do 2, so be it. I am not sure what to expect, whether I'll cough the whole time or if it won't bother me. I guess I'll just have to give it a try to see what happens. I am not feeling much like a runner these days. Got to get back in the groove.

Team names... I will think on it while I run, but...

Bipedal Excursioners? couldn't resist

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#695 of 708 Old 11-30-2005, 11:07 PM

Hi there Mamas,

EK, I hope the hacking on the run was good hacking. I find that at a certain point in my sickness the run is really good for clearing everything out. I sound like a freight train gone off course but I sure feel better when i am done.

2Babybees, WTG on the running motivation. I split workouts one summer and it was really cool. The second run of the day had a totally different feel. Didn't start of as wired and fresh, but my muscles felt more relaxed. I hope it works well for you and you don't feel totally crazed

Loftmama, love the names. That is so cool that you are seeing how far you have come. That is the best.

Moonshine, all I got to do today was walking too. It still felt good. We had the most perfect snowflakes flying during our walk too. So pretty.

BBM and PAtti thanks for getting this together. BBM I love your nerdy categorization. I was stressing for a few minutes yesterday thinking about how to do it LOL Very well done!

Patti, I hate shopping too. I always get or make stuff that can be used up or consumed. Like art supplies, wine, soaps, or food items. Otherwise people are stuck with some clutter they never wanted from me in the first place. Oy.

Poppy, sorry about the wart I can't believe it hurts you. I thought they weren't supposed to hurt? Ow. Hope it feels better soon. You deserve a break so you can run woman!

Shanti, so sorry about the purchase. Can you return it or did you open it already? I love hearing about your studies. I agree the second paper is huge. I would love to read more about this topic historically and then compare to current day. Hope you got degrumpified by the time you and DP got some time to yourselves.

Hi Po6 it is good to see you

Kate-emmas Mama, good for you for your race. I can't wait to hear what your time is. It sounds like you really will fly. Woohoo.

Hi to everyone else :

I agree that nobody should stress about this "Competition". As Mamas, our lives aren't completely under our control We do what we can, when we can. We are all coming from the same place, so no pressures

I walked a couple miles this morning with a friend. We walked fast because it was cold and the babes were cranky. I did an hour of really intense yoga this afternoon too. Little DD slept until 5 this afternoon so no run for us today. I think I will try to get out first thing in the AM tomorrow. We shall see.

Gotta go, have a great evening.

ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

#696 of 708 Old 11-30-2005, 11:34 PM

Well, I just did 2.25 miles because my nose and throat were burning like crazy. No coughing, really... but I just didn't feel like pushing it beyond that. It was at a pretty good pace for me though, so maybe I'm maintaining and not losing my fitness.

Time to hit the showers... speaking of... I always struggle w/ dry skin in the winter, but the extra showers from running are making it worse... does this happen to anyone else?

Good night, you wonderful running ladies!

#697 of 708 Old 12-01-2005, 12:22 AM

dawnadelle - wow, what a story. I agree, cardiac and neuro work up asap!

eksmom? - It may be a few days on the recipe - I'm sure my mom doesn't even have an actual recipe so pinning her down will be tough. give me some time, but I'll get it.

shanti - I looked up the Floridix last night but had to work on my paper instead of posting info - sorry if this is a day late and a dollar (or several) short. It looks like it is ferrous gluconate, which is the iron salt considered least constipating, however, I always understood that the reason it was least constipating was because it had the lowest amount of elemental iron per mg. The following is the elemental iron content of various iron salt preps, so for every mg of ferrous blah blah, you get the below percentage of elemental iron.
Ferrous fumarate- 33%
Ferrous gluconate- 12%
Ferrous lactate- 19%
Ferrous sulfate, hydrated- 20%
Ferrous sulfate, desiccated- 30%

I found the following link to have good info (including a brief section on vegetarian athletes requiring more iron than the general pop): http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/iron.asp

The ad I read for Floradix said nothing about treating anemia, only for preventing iron deficiency.

Personally, I'd go to the pharmacy and get some ferrous sulfate and use it, but that's just me and I'm a pharmacist by former career.

ok, I'm cooked for the night - what a day. DD home sick again today and SOOO whiny (me too), trying to get this paper finished (it is done!), DH out of town and when he got home he spent about 30 mins in the house before he went to the office to grade exams....argh! I swear if I wasn't so pregnant, I'd have PMS!

thanks bbm for the teams - glad I've got sallyz to pick up the slack for me! I too loved the geek factor involved in splitting us all up.

you mamas rock getting out there in nearly December!
kathy
#698 of 708 Old 12-01-2005, 12:33 AM

eksmom - YES on the dry skin!!! My hands are peeling off in chunks, and yes, it is as disgusting as it sounds. I try to overload on the lotion, but also find that olive oil feels really good.

ND - great ideas for gifts - thanks My other aid in gift giving is to try to think of someting the person would like but would not get for themselves (like a massage, or movie passes/tickets to something

Shanti - how interesting!! I have my MA in education, and what I particularly loved about working with teens was the psychological inroad I had as an english teacher. The spiritual angle is also very compelling for me. And now that I have kids, its so interesting to see the same stuff manifesting at a less mature stage. Spirituality and social justice - sounds fun (and big).

Patti - when you said "i hate shopping..." I thought "me too!" and the you mentioned me

BBM - is it too late - its still 11/30. Id like to join. My *goal*; I think Id be pretty happy with 10-15 miles/week at this point.

I walked 3 miles today with the kids in the double, after they both failed to take a nap and were literally falling down and bouncing off the furniture. After a week of dry head cold, high temp, and now chunky nose and lungs, turns out F has a "raging ear infection". He has been crying A LOT the past three days, so that I couldnt put him down without him screaming, and not sleeping much and falling down a lot. he tugged at his ear twice today and i thought 'ear infection' so called Dh to bring a child sized otascope home from work, but later second guessed myself b/c I thought I was just looking for something to be wrong that would be cured by a pill So we didnt get around to checking until tonight, and then the "raging" diagnosis. Poor baby - no wonder he keeps falling down (I though he was just over tired) So hes on antibiotics (nice to have a doc in the family sometimes )

Dont know what team Im on yet, but ill do you proud

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#699 of 708 Old 12-01-2005, 12:51 AM

Dawnadelle - you need to see a regular doc and possibly a cardiologist ASAP. I'm not sure about the temp (and if it was an ear temp, it might have been wrong anyway) but the rest of your symptoms sort of sound like a cardiac arrhythmia. Please don't wait to get it checked out. It's already 10 pm here, or I'd say call your doc today, but please call tomorrow and don't take no for an answer.

Kerc - I forgot to say before, but your kerclets are absolutely gorgeous. I don't know how you ever get anything done other than snuggling with that beautiful baby!

I ran hard tonight, so I'll have to apologize to my team for starting off tomorrow with a short recovery run. I'll try to pick it up after that! I ran 4 miles, alternating 1/2 mile at 9:30 pace with 1/4 mile at 7:53 pace for a total of 5 sets (3.75 miles) then ran 1 last slow 1/4. I walked 1/2 mile warm-up and cooldown, too. Halfway through I didn't feel like finishing, but I talked myself into it!

Have any of you ever used a belt type thing to carry your water or other supplies while running? I was thinking of getting one for ds's coach for Christmas as a thank-you for all the free coaching, but don't really know what to look for. Any ideas?
#700 of 708 Old 12-01-2005, 02:07 AM

dawnadelle - how scary! hope you get to the doctor ASAP

ND - hmm..now i am wondering if that is what i have? i was basically describing it to people (work colleagues, i am not going to show them my feet for inspection! ) and they said 'oh, it's probably a plantar's wart.' whatever it is - it HURTS! maybe it is the universe telling me to get out of the footwear biz!

anyway - flying home tomorrow, will go to the foot doctor or something and tell them to fix it so i can get runnin'!!

BBM - thanks for setting up the teams!! well done!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#701 of 708 Old 12-01-2005, 02:10 AM

How about Mileage Mavens? Can we each have individual team nicknames? If so, I want to be "La Shorty" .

Speaking of the team -- oh my, 20 mi/week for Lucenamama? Yipes, hope I make it. Especially w/this bum shin! My Coach is having me take a 3 day break from running, but I can bike. In fact, I biked for 7 miles this evening (at a 24 hour Fitness and I'm afraid I'm just not feelin' you on the gyms, Saskiasmom!). I'm fearful that this shin thing is chronic and I will disappoint my mileage homies. Oh well, onward Buddhist runner....

BBM, thanks for all your efforts! You really are a geek.

Dawnadelle, wow, so scary. I go w/Drjen on this. Please take care. Poor you and your family.

Turtlewomyn!

Kerc, you're babies are too adorable. I hope I get to meet them (or just Leah?) next week!

Shanti, glad you got a workable diagnosis from the doc. I did Floradix during pg and it was pretty tough on the wallet! I actually liked the taste :. Congrats on getting the paper done!

Kangamitroo, brr! Ice cream headaches from breathing!

Have fun in Orlando, Poppy! Sorry about the plantar's thingy.

Saskiasmom, good to hear from you! I enjoyed reading what you wrote about your mom, parenting, and healing. Hope your little DS feels better soon. Any chance you'll make it out to the 510 anytime soon?

to everyone I missed!
#702 of 708 Old 12-01-2005, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucenamama
BBM, thanks for all your efforts! You really are a geek.

I'm honored
#703 of 708 Old 12-01-2005, 08:15 AM

Team 1:
Patti Ann (15)
Mamabeth (15)
Hollysmom (10)
Kerc (18)
Lucenamama (20)
Kate~emmasmom (18)
Athansor (20)
Runningmommy (30)
1jooj (20)
loftmama (25)
Moonshine (10)
dawnadelle (15)
saskiasmom (15)

Mileage = 231

Team 2:
Babybugmama (20)
Geofizz (10)
Poppywise (18)
Doctorjen (18)
kpinny (18)
eksmom (19)
Shantimama (18)
2babybees (24)
sallyz (35)
kangamitroo (20)
Party of six (35)
Naughty Dingo (15)

Mileage = 235

Patti - note saskiasmom has been added to you all!

Yay more people

hmmmm a little imbalanced. Okay ND got shifted...

Is this okay everyone? After today I'll still add people, but I won't shift members around. These are the final teams.
#704 of 708 Old 12-01-2005, 08:19 AM

Hi ladies!

Gettign ready to hit the TM! Hoping to start off with some great mileage today for the TEAM!! Go team, go team, go team!!

Thanks BBM for doing this, you rock!!

On Runner's world, the women have a Christmas Card exchange. Everyone turns in their addresses, and then it's privately emailed out, and everyone sends cards to everyone on the list. I know it may be a little late this year, but thought it was a fun idea. MOre cards to look for in the mailbox, and more people that you care about to send a little love.

Kerc~your kiddos are ADORABLE!! thanks for sharing!

Sally~what's your mileage have to be for your 86K and how many miles IS that?? you rock!

doctorjen~open the present!

Dawn~ hope you are feeling better, please call your doctor and get checked out further!!

poppy~I had a plantar's wart once in high school, they hurt! I then sprained the other ankle, walked only on the plantar's wart for two weeks, and wahlah! it was gone hope you are able to heal quickly

eksmom~dry skin-YES! Eucerine or olive oil on the hands (the second is cheaper) and humidify the house if you can, drink lots of water, and cut down onshowers if you can

Good morning to everyone, 2babybees, 1joooj, kpinny, kate, po6, ND, loftmama,sakiasmom, jenlove, sschatz, anthansor, geo, shantimama, hlucenmama, grnmtnmama, pumpkinseed, moonshine, mamabeth, turtlewomyn, and everyone I missed!

Got to get moving, check in later!
Lisa
#705 of 708 Old 12-01-2005, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
No time to run this morning but I have to check in her anyway

kerc - your girls are SO beautiful! What a great picture!

Another night of big dramatics in our house last night. dd is still struggling. Her French teacher isn't expecting enough of her and so she is bored/frustrated and her English teacher is putting on too much pressure - for every affirming comment she makes in dd's homework book, she has three "suggestions" for improvement. dd was beside herself last night trying to keep track of everything - perfect printing, how many words per line, punctuation, what to write about, etc. She is in grade TWO for goodness sake! I was under the impression that they didn't start formal English instruction for French Immersion kids until grade four, and here she is doing a book report, several pages of spelling work and a test every week - and that is just the English homework. I think we are going to have quite the parent-teacher interview with the English teacher tomorrow. : I will be nice but strong. My 7 year old is ready to break from all of the pressure.

We also realized how we are all struggling with having moved this past year. This is a great house and town, but it is still new. Adjusting to summer life in a beach town was easy, but we have all been "off" since we started getting out Advent and Christmas stuff. I guess it is just another layer in the grief/transition process since none of us really wanted to move in the first place. dh and I taked with the kids about how our first Christmas in our last city was hard for us because we didn't know many people and everything was so new and different - but that because they were babies it didn't bother them as much. In a few years this place will feel like home too. dh and I have had to deal with so much crap the past three years and I guess we just have to work through some of the remaining anger about that - and the kids are old enough (6, 7 and 9) that it all affects them too, even if only indirectly. I never want to move again!
#706 of 708 Old 12-01-2005, 09:26 AM

Good morning ladies. I have to issue an apology to my team, because as I sit here hacking my head off, I don't think I'll be running today. I am afraid that my run last night did me more harm than good. My night in bed started off with a coughing fit (while still nursing DD), then sinus pain and stuffiness in the middle, and ended with another coughing fit just now (started while nursing DD : and still hasn't stopped). I am not sure if I am going to work or not. This is ridiculous.

Personals later.

#707 of 708 Old 12-01-2005, 10:32 AM

Good morning everyone! So, I ran a gorgeous (and slow as always) 5.5 last night, all by myself around town, at and after sunset. I actually really love running in the cold, after the first 7 minutes. It's getting out there that sucks. For the first time, my right instep hurt. I have flat feet, and I think the very cold weather affects my shoes. Anyway, today I plan to run a short 3 or 4, after dh gets home. Works great if I get dinner ready ahead and meet him with my layers on. I also have to shovel snow today, so we'll see.

Dawn, I think you should definitely talk to you doc before running, especially alone.

And poppywise, I had plantar warts as a kid. On the balls of both feet at one time. Kicked the doctor in the face as he dug at them before adding acid. Youch. Dr. Zorba on the radio recommends duct tape for warts. My Peace Corps medical officer, a wonderful Italian nurse named Marina, recommended wishing. good luck, whatever you do.

And I am probably jinxing myself by saying this, but I think I am about to slide off this plateau I have been sitting on for WAY TOO LONG! Size 10, here I come. Oh, and lucenamama, if you're La Shorty, I am soooo La Stumpy.
#708 of 708 Old 12-01-2005, 10:33 AM

Come join us on the December thread...

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=377470

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page