December Dingos Running, walking, wogging thread...Brrr it's really cold now! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 482 Old 12-01-2005, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome running mamas it's December!!

We are a group of mamas(and mamas-to-be) who love to run, walk, wog, whatever the pace. Everyone is welcome! We have all skill levels from an ultra marathoner to morning sick preggo mamas. Come join the fun and motivation as we keep it moving through the cold winter and bustling holiday season. You'll even find some friendly competition about, join in if you please, ask questions, but most of all bundle up and keep it moving it's cold outside!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 482 Old 12-01-2005, 10:47 AM

Hi Ladies, I have some catching up to do.

Firstly own up!!! Who send me this rotten cold. It is summer here so I never get colds so it must be some transatlantic bug. I think it is someone from the OTHER team trying to keep us down. LOL.I have a streaming nose and feel lousy. Want to run but think I better give my body a chance to kick this thing! Will try and walk at least.

Shantimama: The place you run sounds wonderful, all I get is houses and cars. Great on doing a 7k. I am glad someone else thinks metric too. I get so confused and have added a conversion website to my favourites so I can check all the time where are you from that you think Metric?
Hope you are feeling better after the attack of the killer papadums.
Hope the iron helps, There was some stuff people used in the UK for aneamia that did not make you constipated will see if I can remember what it is called. Just read Moonshine's post Floridex was what I was thinking of! But Mollasses should work too. Way to go on getting the paper done.

Welcome Turtlewomyn. If you are looking for a place to get motivated about running then this is it.

Kerc: My 14month old does not weigh a whole lot more than that! Cute pic my dream is 2 girls when I finally decide to have another. I spoke to a friend in England on the phone and her first question was are you pregnant. I sure as hell hope she does not know something I don't !!!!!I want to run my marathon first before ttc again end of next year. Will be devastated if a spanner get thrown in the works.

Dawnadelle: Oh my goodness I do hope you are feeling better. How scarey. if the cramps are Potassium try Mollasses. Follow Kercs trick and take a spoonful washed down with OJ. It works like a bomb and does not taste so bad.

Patti Ann Dh being the waterboy is just what we were talking about the other day. My sis and I are running on the weekend and want to cover a longer distance so dh will come with, but my parents AKA babysitters are away so he will have to drive with dd in the car and stop and wait for us every few k's. I think a few hours on the bike carrier will be far too long for dd and she will bake out here.
You are so good at remembering everyone and make eveyone feel special. Thank you.

2BB- I think it is great that you fit your runs in during lunch. And that sometimes you run twice-way to go.

ND- Good work on getting the yoga poses and a TM run. I am looking into getting one for days when getting out there is hard.

Pumpkinseed hope you continue to get better.

poppywise: sending blister healing vibes to you.

DrJen situps after a run at 10:30- wow you are good.

Saskiasmom- Glad you are finding some healing. Join us if you have not already, even if you just walk 1mile it might help lift the spirits.

Mamabeth- sounds like you are doing so well PM. I struggle with one so hats off to all moms with more than one

BBM: I am in a different time zone to you all so how will I know when to PM my leader? I could cheat and get up early on Sat and get extra in for my team My milage is a bit high at the moment. I do between 6-10k a day but not as much as 10k a day yet. Maybe 30 at the moment if i am working it out right. This conversion stuff has my head spinning
Do you remember the comrades marathin if you were in SA, it is famous as 'normal' people run it not just runners. It is a marathin of great spirit and fun and people all help each other to finish. One of the first years post apartheid I watched this black man and white woman holding each other up and almost crawling over the finish line together. It was amazing a sight I will never forget. This is the link http://www.comrades.co.za/

Runningmommy: I think it is 55.32 miles yikes

Kate-emmasmom sounds like you will really fly on Sat, good luck

Does my team have a name yet?
#3 of 482 Old 12-01-2005, 11:19 AM

Just a quick pop in to subscribe.

So, just to clarify, I send my milage to Patti Ann on which day? Sorry...short attention span these days

Dawnadelle like everyone said, you should get to your Dr ASAP.

Well, back to work. Gotta get on that treadmill tonight!

#4 of 482 Old 12-01-2005, 11:22 AM

I think sally that as long as you are consistent it won't matter. But I think you are six hours ahead? Is that correct? I'm on the east coast of the US. I'm your team lead soooo....I think my plans are that if the deadline is sunday, then whatever my run is on sunday will be my last entry for that week. Does anyone else have thoughts? I don't want to make this too difficult.

We don't have a name yet...So what are some ideas?

Woggers
Mama Momentums
Miracle mamas

Ugh...I'm not good at this part...

PS - I may have sent you that cold Sally Sorry

So today...this competition thing worked great!! My running buddy cancelled and I considered not running. But I remembered, first day!! So, I did. It was the best run I've had in such a long time. I kept running faster and faster and I just felt so strong and it felt soooo good! I ran 5 miles. Yay!

So on another note. I don't know if I told you all about the bad dream I had right before I began spotting or not. I had a dream and it was definitely related...I won't go into details. But, last night had a weird dream. I dreamt that this kind old man was asking me if I wanted a baby. He pointed to a baby on his right, small and cute and then he pointed to a baby on his left, bigger and also cute. I can remember saying, "I don't care which baby, I just want a baby that's healthy, happy, and smart." I have no idea why I added smart in the dream, I just did, I actually don't care that much really. And he just says, "okay" and disappears. Kinda neat huh? It left me with a good feeling.
#5 of 482 Old 12-01-2005, 11:23 AM

Subbing...

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#6 of 482 Old 12-01-2005, 11:32 AM

No time to catch up from the last thread.

Dawn-I'll just reiterate what everyone else is saying. Get this checked out further. An arrythmia, seizure, something else. Could be very serious. If you need me to help out with P today so you can get to see a doctor let me know. We have homeschool group this afternoon, but I have extra room in the car.

Kate-unfortunately they took the Dingo away from us so that name is out.

Hollysmom-PM me our totals from Today through Sunday either Sunday night or Monday morning. The new week will start on Monday.

saskiasmom-Glad you have joined the fun.

eksmom-feel better mama. Don't worry about letting your team down. Get out there when you feel better. This is all fun.

loftmama-I'm kind of liking MDC dingo babes. Anyone else with any other ideas or preferences.

lucen and 1jooj-You can have nicknames. LaShorty and LaStumpy. Not sure what nickname would fit me. 1jooj-Glad you are over the plateau. New clothes for you soon.

shantimama-

Hoping to get my run in while dd is at gymnastics this evening. Today our homeschool group has book club too so we're there from 12-3 and then gymnastics at 4-5. Just a thought. maybe I'll try to get it in now...Not sure.

Get out there and run everyone. I think the cold weather is coming back and this time it is going to stay for a long while.

Enjoy the day.

Peace and love,

Patti
#7 of 482 Old 12-01-2005, 11:36 AM

Just a quick note to my team-I will be in Canada from Dec 16th-20th. (Ski vacation so probably no running) I will need someone to fill in as the contact person on the 18th to get everyones weekly totals. Any takers. thanks in advance.

Patti
#8 of 482 Old 12-01-2005, 11:38 AM

BBM-Good for you for getting out there. It's working. Interesting dream.

Patti
#9 of 482 Old 12-01-2005, 11:39 AM

hi there--
wanted to check in while ds is relatively happy. I have always found it hard to nak!

going to try to get out for a few miles today. Thanks for the kick in the pants, Patti! it is cold here but not too bad...it'll probably be 40 when I go this afternoon.

sally--sorry about the cold! That is yucky, especially in the summer. I got sick a lot when I was training for the marathon too.

I am bad at names too, but I'm sure there's a creative type who can come up with one! happy running/wogging/recovering today.
#10 of 482 Old 12-01-2005, 11:47 AM

BBM - Great dream!

Patti - Where are you going in Canada?
#11 of 482 Old 12-01-2005, 11:49 AM

Hi. I'm a newbie. MamaBeth sent me over here. I'm just started out. I'm in a family of runners, but am not one myself, though I'm trying to change this. I see how much fun they have with races, etc. and I want to be a part of that. I went for my first run ever yesterday and I really enjoyed it. I have no clue what I'm doing though! I'm lucky to live near MamaBeth and she is giving me some pointers. I just wanted to drop in here and say hi. I *want* to be one of you.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#12 of 482 Old 12-01-2005, 11:58 AM

Welcome Paige-Mamabeth is great isn't she?

Some kick in the pants mamabeth as I am still here at the computer so the run will come later.

Hollysmom-We are going to Mont Tremblant in the Laurentines(sp?). We've been going pretty much every year since we were seniors in college(94-95). Trying to get Fiona on skis this time... should be intersesting.

Must get motivated to do something....

Patti
#13 of 482 Old 12-01-2005, 12:14 PM

BBM - I meant to say 'hard' work

So does anyone know how long antibiotics take to kick in. I think it was around 12-24 hors when I had mastitis, but cant really remember. Im trying to judge when DS might start feeling better

Just checking in to the new thread....hope to get in a few miles later this morning, will check back

Have good mornings all

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#14 of 482 Old 12-01-2005, 12:39 PM

Team 1:
Patti Ann (15)
Mamabeth (15)
Hollysmom (10)
Kerc (18)
Lucenamama (20)
Kate~emmasmom (18)
Athansor (20)
Runningmommy (30)
1jooj (20)
loftmama (25)
Moonshine (10)
dawnadelle (15)
saskiasmom (15)

Mileage = 231

Team 2:
Babybugmama (20)
Geofizz (10)
Poppywise (18)
Doctorjen (18)
kpinny (18)
eksmom (19)
Shantimama (18)
2babybees (24)
sallyz (35)
kangamitroo (20)
Party of six (35)
Naughty Dingo (15)

Mileage = 235

Patti - note saskiasmom has been added to you all!

Saskiasmom - there you are, see I'm not losing my mind

Okay I reposted this since we thought we were missing a teammate!

Like I said before I won't shift anyone around.

People are still welcome to join!!!
#15 of 482 Old 12-01-2005, 12:42 PM

Good Morning, Ladies!
I got a 25 min walk in today-yay-back is feeling a bit better. K was totally bundled up-just her little nose and eyes were peeking through It was still in the high twenty's when we went out this am.

dawnadelle-i know i am repeating what everyone else is saying, but do get checked out!

bbm-i am so impressed with the geekiness factor-i confess that I am one of as well former research scientist turn SAHM-i was actually on the phone w. a former coworker yesterday morning and was giving them help with a project they are working on-i admit i do miss it! I was actually pretty surprised that I was able to jump in and still be of some help! Also-what a great dream-its amazing how your mind works, isn't it? I remember having so many dreams during the stressful, sorrowful times in my life-I really do think it is your mind's way of helping you deal with everything. So many times I would wake up tired-I think a lot of the sleep was mentally exhausting...

drjen-have you looked at www.fuelbelt.com ? I have used one for years and love it-they have all different types-single larger bottle to many small ones-to gel attachments, etc...

2babybees-thanks for starting the thread-when I saw the new thread -i was thinking "they are starting it early" how can it be december already?

Patti-hope you get motivated and have a productive day!! i really dislike shopping as well and we are also trying to be more minimalists-so difficult with my dh family-who buy stuff just for the heck of it!

Welcome HomeBirthMom(Paige) : (forgive me if I got your ID wrong-I dont have the old thread up!)

Hello to everyone!! More personals later!

okay-off to get my house somewhat clean-I have playgroup here this afternoon! I really do need to get a signature...one of these days!
#16 of 482 Old 12-01-2005, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
pumpkinseek -- what kind of scientist? there are a handful of us here (geofizz, myself and anthasor are all geologists) and some of us are married to scientists (not me though).

I *think* I hired a pt nanny for next semester. I need to double check her references, but she's the church nursery person for my friends' church and was great with the kids. She came into the living room and sat right down on the floor with Erin (who was of course a big spaz after a day at daycare and someone new in our Living room). The bummer is she can't start now. So she'll be here 10 hrs a week and erin will go to her current dcp for 5-8 hrs per week.

Back to work...gotta get off mdc so I have time for a run or walk later today.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#17 of 482 Old 12-01-2005, 01:09 PM

BBM - I just noticed my mileage is too high. I think I confused you when I said 15 was fine with me. I meant that 15 minutes = 1 mile is fine since I will be mostly walking. Can you bring me down to 8...sorry I just don't want to disappoint my team by setting it too high. I guess that means we definitley need another member...sorry.
#18 of 482 Old 12-01-2005, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollysMom
BBM - I just noticed my mileage is too high. I think I confused you when I said 15 was fine with me. I meant that 15 minutes = 1 mile is fine since I will be mostly walking. Can you bring me down to 8...sorry I just don't want to disappoint my team by setting it too high. I guess that means we definitley need another member...sorry.

do you get to count it twice because you're walking for two?

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#19 of 482 Old 12-01-2005, 01:18 PM

Oh my goodness, this thread has exploded with so many people, I don't know how well I can manage personals! But welcome, newbies. I still feel like one myself, and everyone here is so wonderful about including and reaching out to all, that it makes for a very welcome feeling.

sally, too bad about feeling icky! Were you a runner before, or did you just plunge headlong into running a an ultra? I still can't wrap my head around that. Awesome undertaking.

BBM, I don't usually remember very many dreams that I have, but when I was about 8-9 months pregnant with DD1, who we didn't know was a DD, I had a dream about a gypsy/indian woman handing me a feather-like thing, and telling me with all ernastness (how do you spell that word??) that I was having a girl. And so it was. We were totally not surprised when she was born and the midwife told us. We were like, yeah, we knew that.

Patti, hope you find time for the run. If your weather is like what we are having a bit to your north, it is just going to keep getting colder towards the weekend. Enjoy the "balminess" while it lasts!

mamabeth, go for that run! You will feel good after you do. (how is that for a kick in the pants??)

Homebirthmommy, yeah for starting to run. I was never a consistant runner at ALL, and just started in August. I attribute this tribe as helping me keep on track and actually laern a bit about running.

Saskiasmom, hope the baby feels better soon. I am also not with you on the loving the gym thing, although I don't hate it either. But right now we are too poor for me to join, so I don't have much choice except to get out the door and do something that way.

pumkinseed, glad the back is feeling better and you got to go walk! I feel like I am still nursing this back/hip thing that slowed down my running big time a few weeks ago. No where as serious as what you described having, but pain is pain, right? Well, hard to quanify, but good you are getting back out there.

So, in honor of today being our first day of competition, I went out and ran for 20 min. I feel that it would be generous to say that I was actually running 10min=1 mile, but I will get faster eventually. Since my back/hip thing which threw me off my game after my trip in Oct, and then the sinitus from the last 2 weeks, I have been very inconsitent about running. So went out with the dog, and managed pretty well (except I must remember to take a doggie bag ). What I do have to do is to give up me evening habit, if you may recall. Running will definitely help with that, so yet another reason to get out there.

Question for all of you seasoned cold-weather runners -- at what temps do you break out the gloves and hat? According to my computer this morning, windchill made it 35 degrees, so I wore gloves. At the beginning it was fine, but by then end I definitely felt like I wanted to dump them.

Gotta run and clean this sty of a house.
#20 of 482 Old 12-01-2005, 01:22 PM

Thanks guys I was able to get motivated. I ran 4.1 miles. yay! Now I have to quick feed the kids lunch and run to our meeting. No time for a shower. Hope I don't stink too much at the meeting.

Kerc-So glad you found someone to help out. I just offered to watch my nephew and niece on Wednesdays if my Sil wants to work that day. My mom is watching them one day a week on her day off. Not sure if she will take me up on it.

pumpkinseed-glad the back is better. Dh's brother and his girlfriend love to shop. They used to live in NYC and are completely wraped up in having things. They are very generous, but it is bad when your kids ask "What did you bring me" instead of hello. We have spoken to them several times. Thanked them for their gifts, but asked that they cut back. They seem to be getting better, but I know how you feel. My mom is also notorious for going to the thrift shop with them. I keep reminding her that I don't care if it only cost .25, they have too much stuff and now I have to find a place for it and pick it up off the floor. Baby steps. Some day I'll get there. Continue to heal.

saskiasmom-Hope F starts feeling better soon.

Hollysmom-I'm still happy to have you on my team The goal is to motivate each of us to exercise for ourselves.

Patti
#21 of 482 Old 12-01-2005, 01:23 PM

Well, it's all your fault ladies! I was enjoying my running vacation, but today, I put in 4 miles anyway just because. for fun. for you. for my team. my dh ran with me (okay never mind that it was backwards and he was doing drills most of the time. i ignored him.) still it was fun.

sallyz - i think that whenever we send in miles, we include our weekend long run on sat/sun, so whenever you get it in, then count. that's my thought. whaddya think, bbm?

patti - i'll take over while you're skiing. I'll be jealous, but hey, we're friends, right?

okay ya'll. let the games begin...

everyone else, sorry i'm skipping personals. my mom's babysitting the kids for me while dh and i run, shower, pack and get outta here. i'll catch up more later. dh says hi.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#22 of 482 Old 12-01-2005, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc
do you get to count it twice because you're walking for two?

Sounds fair to me
#23 of 482 Old 12-01-2005, 02:32 PM

Kristine - don't worry about it at all! There will be some that will do more than their "alloted" and others less. It's just to get us out there. Besides aren't you on the opposing team? Just kidding. If someone new wants to join I'll just throw them on your team. No worries.

IT'S SNOWING!!!
#24 of 482 Old 12-01-2005, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama
IT'S SNOWING!!!
I know I just got back from running 3.5 miles in it. I am so glad I looked at this thread because I was so going to wimp out on my second 3.5 miles after work but not now! I may feel tired and slow today but I'm gonna do it! Eating a good lunch now to refuel and mentally get myself back in the game. Thanks mamas for a little healthy competition!
#25 of 482 Old 12-01-2005, 03:22 PM

Good morning, mamas! I've just spent all morning catching up on Nov's thread.... hadn't had time to check in since around the 17th - yikes! I missed a lot!

This will have to be quick as I used up all the kids' downtime catching up - that's always my dilemma, I can either read or post... if I choose to post, I'm usually just blathering on about things that are long gone; if I choose to read, I chatch up on things but can't join in. six of one, half dozen of the other, lol!

Anyway, I'd like to join the competition if it's not too late. I am good for at least a mile a day (sometimes two or three, depends on many factors, lol). My goal is to be consistently running three a day (or varying from two to four, so averaging three). But that may be a bit optimistic for this month. It's cold here, I'm a wimp about running in the cold, and my mom's treadmill is broken. Hopefully the treadmill will be fixed this week or next, and if so then I can try to up my miles again. Running on the street just killed my legs!

Argh! Now I can't remember the (few) personals I thought I'd have time for. How do you mamas remember all the personals? I'm thinking I'm just going to have to keep a piece of paper near the computer and jot down notes as I go....

Better go, DS is needing changed, and DD is just generally grumpy.

I'll get out for a run later today (have to wait until Mom is off work and can watch the kids).

Have a good month, mamas!

Kinsey
#26 of 482 Old 12-01-2005, 03:28 PM

uh, kerc? What's a pumpkinseek?

I actually didn't have any patients in the hospital today, so didn't have to be to work until 10 am, and am now home for lunch already. I'm trying to do some online shopping to finish up my office staff and partners.

bbm - you are so organized! I've been trying to memorize our teammates so when I read posts I can know if I should be cheering or what! It snowed here, too. My 8 yr old ds an 2 1/2 yr old dd were outside first thing this morning rolling in it. I, of course, do not do this kind of weather, so I'll get my first run for the team in on the treadmill tonight.

moonshine - way to get out there! 20 minutes is great. I was just looking over my running log from last winter and I was barely making 20 minutes most runs then, and now I can't remember the last time I went less than 3 miles, so those 20 minute runs were definitely important in building my base fitness level.

2babybees - you go girl. Get that second run in!

dawnadelle - please post today and let us know you're okay, okay?

I'm really missing Jenlove. Anyone heard anything from her?
#27 of 482 Old 12-01-2005, 03:55 PM

What about MonikitaUT??? She hasn't posted in forever.
#28 of 482 Old 12-01-2005, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama
Team 1:
Patti Ann (15)
Mamabeth (15)
Hollysmom (10)
Kerc (18)
Lucenamama (20)
Kate~emmasmom (18)
Athansor (20)
Runningmommy (30)
1jooj (20)
loftmama (25)
Moonshine (10)
dawnadelle (15)
saskiasmom (15)
kinsey43 (12?)

Mileage = 243

Team 2:
Babybugmama (20)
Geofizz (10)
Poppywise (18)
Doctorjen (18)
kpinny (18)
eksmom (19)
Shantimama (18)
2babybees (24)
sallyz (35)
kangamitroo (20)
Party of six (35)
Naughty Dingo (15)

Mileage = 235
People are still welcome to join!!!
#29 of 482 Old 12-01-2005, 03:57 PM

Kinsey43 - you're added!

Yeah what about jenlove and monikaut? Has anyone seen them on the boards elsewhere?

doctorjen - same struggle. I figure within a week or so I'll get it. I've also thought about printing it out and hanging it up by the computer so I can see what people are working on...

Yay 2babybees!!! Great job getting out there, you can do it!
#30 of 482 Old 12-01-2005, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Sorry, I won't be running today. I got home earlier than I thought , so there is time but I feel crummy. I hope this iron kicks in soon - I am so tired and lightheaded and kind of wobbly in the balance department. I don't feel safe with the thought of going out there today, that's a first. I didn't even feel all that safe driving a couple of times because I kept feeling super lightheaded. It looks like the temperature is going to stay below freezing for the next few days so I've got the woodstove going and I may curl up in front of it and knit. There is lots of housework to be done, errands, projects, etc. but I am going to try to take feeling better as seriously as I do meal prep.

sallyz - I am Canadian, hence the use of metric. I vaguely remember the fuss when all of the road signs were changed from imperial to metric in the 1970's, but I don't know much about the imperial system - except that in Canada we use metric for temperatures and distances, but generally use imperial terms for height and weight. Thanks for mentionning Floradix. Turns out that it is effective for keping iron stores up and is easy on the digestive system - but not as effectrive for treating anemia. It only provides a small fraction of the amount of iron my doctor says I will need to get back on track. I would probably have to chug a bottle a day if I went that route. Blech.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page