Running Mamas - running into mid-winter - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-31-2006, 02:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't run for a week, but I dragged my tired rear 3 miles on the treadmill tonight. I ate a late supper and really didn't feel like it, but I just compensated by running a little slower. I used to never be able to run after I ate for several hours, but as I get older, I don't have a problem as long as I don't try to run fast. I hope to keep to a better schedule this week, and run every day until Friday. Then this weekend is our weekend away - so no running.

loftmama - I just can't imagine how awful to lose a child. I can hardly breathe thinking about it.

ND - , too. Sucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2006, 03:30 AM

Hello lovely ladies! I love how sweet and supportive everyone is here. It's wonderful to feel such a pick up from reading all the posts and the way so many try to mention everyone in the thread! How very sweet!!!

I won't be responding to all those who have posted since my last... but I did want to say/ask a few things to certain ladies.
party-of-six and JenLove: have yall heard of SQUARE FOOT GARDENING? I am VERY limited on space for gardening where I live, but had an amazingly abundant crop of LOTS of garden items this last year. (My first time to use the method described in the book and a video I watched.) Anyway... something to look into, if you're interested in high density gardening in a small space.
grnmtnmama: what kinds of things do you knit? Just curious. I totally want to learn how, but basically just crochet at this point.
runningmommy: What do you crochet most? What is your best/favorite piece?
Mamaley: I totally agree with you that these ladies are terrifically welcoming! So nice!!!!
cRebRun: What a funny story about your run with 1jooj! I actually almost laughed out loud (but didn't for fear of waking DD).
tahinil7 and LadyWuzzy: I only just joined a week ago? But the wonderful ladies here were so welcoming and it seems appropriate to pass it along! So, and I'm sure you'll love this group fast as they are SOOOO sweet!!!

Regarding what's going on here with me: I'm still trying to get out and walk/run on my c25k... didn't work out today, but I was out every day at the end of last week. YEAY! Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately?) I wasn't running those days. I just found out tonight that I'm preggie! DH and I have wanted another one for around a year now, so this is really wonderful news!!!

So, I have those "newly preggo" fears running in my head (that's the only thing of mine running! hahaha). Like, since I have just started the whole running thing- since we conceived, is it fine for me to continue it. I'm thinking yes, since I haven't had any problems already... but I would really love some recommendations as well.

How to tell an almost 2 year old... I think she already knows. She's been patting my belly and signing baby a lot more than usual this month (and we conceived on Jan 1). Who knows. So much to think about, so much to do!

The only people I've told so far are DH and my Mom... and now you wonderful mommas. I think I'm going to post in the preggie forum just because I'm so happy and can't call anyone else so late at night!

I could just the world!!!!

IntactaLactavist, HomeBirthin' Baby Wearin' Co-sleepin' Homeschoolin', City girl gone Country Livin' SAH(HSing)M

Old 01-31-2006, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori Gollihugh
runningmommy: What do you crochet most? What is your best/favorite piece?

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

To answer your question, oh boy that's a tough one. I have so many things that I have really liked! I have done a baby sweater with a hood that was so cute. And a baby sweater with open holes to make hearts. I also made a sweater with hood that zipped up the back for my son. I have made a shopping bag holder that is an angel. Puffy stitch baby blankets. Longies, a cool bible cover, soakers. I love them all! I know I have made more so I'll be back later to post. I'd love to hear about what you have made!!

Lisa
Old 01-31-2006, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well, it wasn't such a hot week for the buggy rocks:

Shantimama 5
Sallyz
Kpinny

2babybees 15.69
Poppywise 3
Naughty Dingo
Eksmom 23.94
Doctorjen 3.5
Babybugmama 0
Geofizz 6
kangamitroo
Party of six 8
CrebRun 27.5
Aprildawn 7
TOTAL 94.6 miles

to eksmom and crebrun for surpassing their goals for the week.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:56 AM

Hi Tori, I'm newly preggo, too. It has definetely effected my running. I am just so completely exhausted. I was able to run normally until about 6 1/2 weeks and then the tireness just "hit" me. I've run a few times, but I find that I can only do about 2 miles until I have to walk a while. It's very frustrating. : I'm hoping to get back to normal in the second trimester.

My midwife is really supportive of running as long as I listen to my body and don't over-do it and I also have to make sure to consume enough calories.

Congratulations!

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
Old 01-31-2006, 11:45 AM

Tori, congrats on the pregnancy. It seems to go in baby waves on this thread. I feel fine now, but was really ill at the beginning of this pregnancy so I switched to walking. I was a bit disappointed at first but I am looking forward to getting back at it after the baby is born.

ND

loftmama
Old 01-31-2006, 11:49 AM

Tori - I second paige - just listen to your body and CONGRATULATIONS!
Geo Sorry I know I've sucked, but hey cracked ribs, pertussis and asthma attacks excuse me right?

So I did it again 5, 5, 6, and 7 with 1, 1, 2, and 5 min walk home. And it felt a little better today. Even less of an asthma attack. Just a little difficulty breathing.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:31 PM

Shantimama 5
Sallyz
Kpinny

2babybees 15.69
Poppywise 3
Naughty Dingo 22.19
Eksmom 23.94
Doctorjen 3.5
Babybugmama 0
Geofizz 6
kangamitroo
Party of six 8
CrebRun 27.5
Aprildawn 7
TOTAL 116.8 miles

to eksmom, crebrun and ND for surpassing their goals for the week.

BBM, the "not such a hot week" wasn't directed at anyone. It looks like a lot of us struggled a lot last week. It happens. It just so happened a lot of us hit <1/2 our goal last week.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:48 PM

Geo - I should probably up my goal... for the next few weeks it looks like 22 is about what I'm shooting for.

I hope to get on here this afternoon and do some personals. I miss you ladies!

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

Old 01-31-2006, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
OK hollysmom, you've got me curious - which church is your family connected with here? That would be too wierd if I knew some of your family already! It is great being back after a few days in TO. Still, it was nice to be around people and having so much go on. The bakery here was closed for the month of January and now the coffee shop is closing for February. There really isn't much to do here in the winter months except go grocery shopping - or maybe check out the hardware store.

I am debating whether or not I will run today. The knees aren't hurting but I kind of want to keep it that way. I may do some yoga and then work on a quilt instead. Not much of a workout, but at least I'll have something to show for my time at the end of the day. I did lots of walking while we were away. Maybe I'll take the kids for a hike when they get home from school.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantimama
OK hollysmom, you've got me curious - which church is your family connected with here? That would be too wierd if I knew some of your family already!
St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:38 PM

wow, shantimama, dh and I joke about joining the ELCIC (Lutheran church in Canada) but I am a spoiled suburban mama...way too many things to do around here. a hike sounds fun though!

nd and loftmama.

Instead of trying to go for a run every day and being disappointed, dh and I talked about me going every other day for an hour or five miles. THat's sort of how it's worked out anyway and it takes the pressure off both of us. I think eventually I will get back to morning running and more often, but not right now. So today is my running day! woo hoo.

early pg running was sort of a bust for me too. I'd force myself out but didn't get much farther than 2-3 miles either. If I tried to force it, it felt just yucky. But I got back up to 5-6 miles once a week during the 2nd tri (and beginning of the 3rd...that's when it's really called wogging ) after the nausea was mostly gone. But congrats, mamas! The end of the year will be exciting again with some running tribe babies.

got to go post my stupid question of the day in the diapering forum. (here it is...if your babe poops out of his dipe every day is it time for the next size? or is he just poopy?).
Old 01-31-2006, 02:01 PM

Speaking of babies, has anyone heard from kpinny?
Old 01-31-2006, 04:33 PM

Naughty Dingo- It doesn't matter how early it was-it is a loss-and I am so sorry you are going through this again. Peace to you-be gentle to yourself and let yourself grieve.

Loftmama-still praying for your family, I went to the sites you had posted-Reid sounds like a wonderful kid-his parents must have been so proud of him.

Will come back later-just wanted to pop into say hello to you ladies!
Old 01-31-2006, 05:12 PM

ND, my heart goes out to you. Pumkinseed is exactly right. It doesn't matter how early or late on you are when you have a loss...they are all painful, just different. Let yourself cry and grieve, and let yourself heal.

Tori, congrats!! what wonderful news!!

Well, I guess it's a good thing that I had decided to make this a light running week. I had planned on my run with Dave and my long run with 1jooj. Now it looks like it will just be the one with 1jooj. I've been trying to ignore this cough for a while now, a couple of weeks...just using my inhaler a lot more and keeping up with my other asthma meds. It's become much worse, though, in the last several days, and my ears/throat/chest are killing me now. I called the doc and they made me come in. Turns out my lungs are squeaking badly all over and they weren't sure if I had whooping cough, bad bronchitis with bad asthma, or pneumonia. I had a chest x-ray, got antibiotics and a heavy cough syrup, and they increased one of my daily asthma meds to the highest dose allowed. She was nice enough to let me say no to Prednisone, but only on the condition that I promise to call if it gets worse and start it then. And she said that I can't go to work until Friday! Since I work 10 hour days, that's a LOT of sick/vacation time to use up...30 hours in one week!!! Especially painful because it was just renewed for the year on the 12th, so the fifteen days of paid time off I have has to last an entire year yet. The only bright spot about this is that Thursday is my birthday, and with all of the meds and rest, I should be feeling much better by then...and I won't have to work...so i should be able to do something fun. Like coffee with 1jooj, or something. I rented a bunch of movies when I picked up my meds next door, so that they will keep me on the couch, instead of feeling like I have to clean, etc.
okay, happy Tuesday, friends!

oh, totally unrelated... I'm a HUGE dork and have to make my car totally 'me'...it's like an apartment to me. It has to scream 'reb'. I have to feel really comfortable and at home in my car. It has to say something about me. I always have several stickers on my vehicles..usually about my love for motorcycling, politics, whatever. and inside i always have this same brass bell from India and a wooden acorn that my dad made (he was an amazing artist with wood) hanging from the mirror, etc. Well, I HAVE to find the perfect bobble head doll and i've been searching and searching online...finding tons of hillarious ones. But still having trouble finding 'the' one, though it may be the patriotic democratic donkey in Uncle Sam garb with a sash that says, 'vote democratic'... anyway, I will have time to keep up with that search, and for the equally perfect antenna topper.....
(yes, told you I'm a dork.)
Old 01-31-2006, 06:59 PM

Sorry I have been MIA
I have been so busy and so desponded with not being able to run.
The long an short of it is that I eventually did go for 2 cortisone inj today, rest anti inflammatories and streching for 4 weeks have not helped. So I am really hoping this works.

Geofizz i jut sw my name on your list- have I moved?
I need to pm some milage- not much to someone. I see this is on 7 pages already and I have not even finished the other thread yet so pls let me know.

Pof 6 when is your ultra?

Sorry I am ou of touch with everyone else but I will try adn keep up from now on. Don't think I can catch up with everything though- But I have missed you all.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally Z
Geofizz i jut sw my name on your list- have I moved?
I need to pm some milage- not much to someone. I see this is on 7 pages already and I have not even finished the other thread yet so pls let me know.
I took over for BBM. Same team. Different book-keeper. PM me now.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
hollysmom - St. Andrew's just called a new minister. I haven't met her yet. My dh is at the United Church here in town and also at a rural church in one of the farming communities. He is happier here than I have ever seen him at a church - throws the whole "big city churches are the happening places" theory right out the window

That would have been great if your family was connected with the United Church - still, this world seems pretty darned small sometimes.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:16 PM

sallyz~ The ultra is this Saturday. I'm all ready to go. The weather reports are pretty favoriable....I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it won't rain.

I'm going to go and get some new shoes tonight and try to get them broke in before Saturday. I think I killed the shoes that I have now. My knees are aching after a run...not a pain, just an ache. I'm pretty sure its shoe related.

I have some coupons from my goodie bag from the marathon. I'm going to get something nice.

All I need to do is get my drop bag packed and labeled and I'm ready to go.

Old 01-31-2006, 08:34 PM

Patti's Power Mama's January 22nd-28th

Patti-12
Mamabeth-15
Kerc-
Lucenamama-14.22
Kate~mom-19.4
Athansor-
Runningmommy-27.6
1jooj-31
loftmama-
moonshine-7.8
saskiasmom-0
Homebirthmommy-
pumpkinseed-4.5
kglewis5691-

Totals so far-131.52

I haven't heard from kglewis in 3 weeks, not sure she is still in. Saskiasmom is out for now.

shantimama-glad you had a fun weekend. The date with dh sounded great.

sally-thanks for checking in. I hope the shots work. This just stinks.

cRebRun-Man mama I hope you feel better soon. Enjoy your birthday on Thursday. I will be 33 this year too. I guess you don't have to do bj Thursday this week.

mamabeth-I hope the new plan works.

BBM-Glad the combo run is working. I hope you finally feel better soon. What's this been, 1.5 months or something crazy like that?

Tori-Congratulations! We have had many pregnant running mamas here. We all delivered in the fall. I ran until about 29-30 weeks and then started walking 3 miles daily. I took it easy in the first tri because I had some bleeding early on. I agree to listen to your body.

doctorjen-good for you for dragging your tired behind on the treadmill last night. You did better than I did. Hope you have a less crazy week. Enjoy that much needed weekend with dh. I leave Sunday am to fly to Florida to meet dh for 2 nights. Hope we both have fun.

grnmtnmama-Hope you got something yummy to eat finally. Sorry climbing stunk.

runningmommy-Enjoy your visit with your grandma. How were the monster trucks?

saskiasmom- I'm going to miss you. I hope everyone is better and life calms down a bit for you. Thinking of you.

ND- I wish I could come visit you right now. I have been thinking of you often and you are in my prayers. I am so sorry mama. I wish I could make it all better. At least be shoulder for you to cry on.

loftmama- I hope each passing day brings you all more peace than the day before.

I ran 3.7 on the treadmill on Sunday and did 4 outside today. The rest of the week will be indoors on the treadmill because dh leaves for Florida tomorrow for his sales meeting. I work another 4 hours tomorrow. Hoping each time it is easier. I saw a baby today and got a little uptight. Thanks for everything. You guys are the best.

On a good note my mileage for Nov, Dec, and Jan was 218.4 miles. Thanks for all the encouragement and support.

Hi to everyone I missed.

Peace and love,

Patti
Old 01-31-2006, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

not a lot of exercise happening, i just don't have any desire (same problem with climbing last night.) I'm not going to push it, when it's time the desire will come back again.

sally - nice to hear from you. hope that your hip feels better soon.

mamabeth - size up your diapers. i have a bunch i need to sell, want any? i think that running plan sounds good, every couple of days is much easier than every day. maybe on the non-running days you can go out for a stroll with the babe, walking is just as good as running, it just takes longer to get the same effect.

Patti - good luck at work tomorrow, just remember to breathe and remember that it's not supposed to be easy.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:56 PM

we joined the Y yesterday!

i'm really excited about it. i'm not sure how it'll affect my running mileage. normally i hate the idea of indoor exercise, esp on things like treadmills. but i used the elleptical (sp?) and one of the stationary bikes this morning. just trying to figure out how to use stuff. spent about 10-15 min on each. i was really enjoying the bike before the nursery brought me my 10 month old who needed mommy. oh well. that's a disadvantage to using a gym. when i have her in the jogger, if she fusses, that just makes me run faster to get home. maybe...maybe i'll try the treadmill next.

good to see loftmama back. sorry to hear about the loss, ND. wish i had time post more personals. but gotta get everyone off to baths and bed.

enjoy your running, mamas!
Old 01-31-2006, 11:21 PM

grnmtnmama-thanks for your supportive words. I've been having lack of desire to run attitudes lately. I agree, when it comes you'll be ready. Better to not push it.

aprildawn-congrats on the Y memebership.

Off to spend my last evening with dh until Sunday night in Florida.

Patti
Old 01-31-2006, 11:43 PM

Hi you guys, Thanks for your kind words of support. I truly appreciate it.

Didn't run today. The dam broke and I have been able to cry and cry for the first time in years. I wasn't able to run this afternoon, though I have to say I feel like I have run a marathon

I am planning something long, easy, and slow tomorrow.

Take care, Talk to you soon.

ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

Old 02-01-2006, 12:18 AM

ND I hope the cry was helpful. Sometimes I wish the gates would just open wide. Not that I've got anything specific, you know, but sometimes I just wish I could put all my energy into a good cry. I hope good things are ahead for you, mama.

Patti, I wish you some ease and comfort at work.

aprildawn, I hope the Y offers what you need. It's a change of pace, anyway, right? Good luck.

I think the heavies are just moving through the ranks. I have no real excuse but a lack of drive. Called cRebrun this evening to get my absolution. Yeah--call the lady with pneumonia and asthma to tell me that just plain lazy and tired is a good excuse, too. : I think my patience wears too thin too early for me to deal with the kids while running on the TM for an hour plus at dinnertime. Still waiting on AF, too. I was just sure she'd be here by Sunday. : At least I have not gone through all the chocolate.

And I'm getting a surprise visit from my mother tomorrow. Think I'll see if I can't go outside for a longer run. I'm miles behind, and what better way than to pass the day with my mom in the house?
Old 02-01-2006, 12:35 AM

everyone! It seems to be a rough moment for many. I too am still feeling grumpy about not being able to run and eating pretty crappily to make matters worse. It becomes a self perpetuating cycle with me and I am trying rather hard to break it. I did get out for my 2.9 loop run at the park today. The leg feels okay right now(not 100% though), we'll see in the morning. Hopefully I will be okay to go again on Thurs or Friday. I also just got back from swimming at the Y. I've found that it definitely helps loosen things up in my legs without any straining. Actually if you had asked me 15 years ago if I would be a runner or a swimmer, I'd have said a swimmer for sure. I love the water and spent most of my youth swimming competively. Then it just kind of fell by the wayside. It is nice to get back into it.

Must go to bed. Rest up everyone and take care of yourselves...
Old 02-01-2006, 01:36 AM

Good evening, y'all. I'm sorry I haven't been around the last few days... we've been going through some crazy kid stuff and it's been taking all my energy to deal with that.

Here's what's up with me in the running dept... I now stop eating 4 hours before a run, and I stop drinking 2 hours before. Sometimes I notice the difference in that I don't have as much energy for the run itself... but it seems to be helping my GI issues. Running this way is better than not running at all. Actually, I had plenty of energy for my 4 mile fartlek on the TM tonight... so maybe I just needed to adjust. I am also cutting back on fiber a little bit. If this keeps everything under control I probably won't see a doctor, but if it comes back with a vengeance I will get some help. I'm going to run that half in April if it's the last thing I do!

2babybees - thank you for the book recommendation. I put it on my wish list and will see about getting it. I am starting to think in terms of eating to fuel my run... which is a pretty new way for me to think, but I like it. I am sorry about your leg. I hear you on the grumpy eating. I hope you can get back out there soon!

ND - I am so sorry to hear your news. I am glad that you were able to cry and maybe get some of it out of your system today. I used to have no trouble crying, but in the last few years I cry a lot less. Sometimes I wish I could cry more easily, so I think I understand what you are saying about really crying for the first time in years.

Patti - I am thinking of you. Enjoy your time w/ DH before he leaves and when you two are reunited in FL!

Loftmama - I am so sorry about Reid. I checked out the website, too. He is obviously missed by many. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

BBM - Glad you are able to get out and do some exercise. I am proud of you for sticking with it and finding what works.

Poppy - Hope your trip to Germany is off to a good start! Glad DH can walk on that ankle.

Tori - Welcome and congrats on being preggo! I may have missed it, but what part of VA are you in? We live in Roanoke.

cRebRun - you have such a way of describing things, I love it! I enjoyed reading about your car. I hope you get to feeling better soon. I have to ask, if you're not running w/ Dave, is it still BJ Thursday? I mean, you are sick and all...

Sally - I am glad to see you check in. I have been wondering how you are doing. The hip thing stinks. I hope the cortisone works and you feel better soon.

Po6 - I was wondering if I had missed your ultra. I'm glad I didn't! I know you said we shouldn't make a fuss over you but I just think it is so cool that you're doing this. I cannot imagine forward motion for that length of time.

Mamaley - Welcome! I am glad you are enjoying the C25K. I used to get up early to run (4:30-5ish) when the weather was warm. I can't face it that early when it's cold, and my gym isn't open then. It's a nice feeling to get it done first thing.

OK - cRebRun asked about hobbies and passions... let's see... these days I don't make time for much for myself other than running. But I like knitting, photography, computers/web design, and baking. I try to keep up with ACC basketball even though I don't catch too many games on TV these days. And I have spent a lot of time over the last couple years learning about AP and NFL.

I think I hear DD stirring, so my time is up for tonight. I'll keep catching up tomorrow, hopefully. Good night, all!

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

Old 02-01-2006, 02:36 AM

Make it 2 days in a row! I ran 4 on the treadmill tonight. I've been feeling so tired, I haven't felt up to my usual pace, but decided it's better to run a little slower than to not run at all. I didn't do as well for January as I would have liked, but I did cover 63.15 miles, which keeps me on pace to finish 720 miles this year. And it's much better than the 18.38 miles I ran last January! I'm going to try to run intervals or do a tempo run tomorrow, depending on how I feel.
I think it's just about time for new shoes, too. I've run 311 miles in my current shoes, and am starting to feel like my legs are a little achy.

I'm too tired for personals, but I'm thinking about you all and the hard times some of you are going through.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:01 AM

hi from germany

long flight here, feel totally out of it, really miss my kids, want to go home
i have been dealing with lots of work anxiety and going through a lot of 'soul searching' to define what it is i feel i really should be doing. it's tough. i have bills to pay, y'know but i have to trust that it will all work out and i will find my path soon.

i've been working on thought field therapy to try and relieve some stress/anxiety. i practiced on the plane on the way over here - people probably thought i was

will definitely hit the treadmill while i am here; always like to try those out at the hotels!

drjen - hope you have a great weekend with dh - sounded lovely

eksmom - good luck with the crazy kid stuff

patti - thanks again on the h.s. help; enjoy florida!!

ND - and glad you were able to open the floodgates, that can be such a release for our bodies

lucena - hang in there mama

oy - i really want to do more personals but i am starting to see double from the jet lag - be back later...

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

Old 02-01-2006, 10:30 AM

Hey Poppy - do you feel the thought field therapy is working for you? How did you find out about it?

ND - I'm glad the dam broke and you were able to release some of the pain.

doctorjen - to you for getting out there! slow is better than not at all for sure!

eksmom - geesh that seems like an awful lot just to get a run in. Good for you for working on figuring it out! I have a friend who can't touch coffee if she's going to run...does a nasty on her system.

2babybees - I love swimming! I'm glad you're incoporating it back into your life. I think there is something so healing about water.

1jooj - long run, no mom....definitely a good plan

Patti - thanks it has been at least a month and a half. I started getting sick in early December, but didn't stop running until mid. Thankfully I have not gained weight really, just a little more squishy.

So, I have one more day of work! (before starting my new place) I am so ready to be out of there!! It has just been one crazy thing after another and my stress level has been through the roof! That combined with being sick, dealing with a sick dh (he's been sick for a week - and he is a major PIA when he's sick), and the rest of normal life stresses...well call me

User Tag List