Running Mamas - running into mid-winter - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 850 Old 01-24-2006, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
this is a thread for all the running mdc mamas, all newcomers welcomed!
#2 of 850 Old 01-24-2006, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

i took today off from running so that i could skip out of work a bit early.

tomorrow i'm off to Dallas for about 24 hours for a meeting, i'll take my sneakers but not sure if i'll have a chance to use them or not.

Patti - thinking about you, hoping things are getting easier but understanding that sad days are important as well.

Poppy - hope you're hanging in there this week. At the moment I'm so glad that my dh isn't employed, otherwise he'd be at SIA this week and OR next week.

here's my question - are Chiropractors good or are they more like Quack-o-practors? For various reasons, I've always put them in the Quack category - maybe because of a fear that you start going and have to keep going forever and forever? One friend told me that it would probably be great for me after all the crashing i've done with mountain biking and so forth. i'm interested to hear what you have to say.
#3 of 850 Old 01-24-2006, 09:45 PM

checking in to sub real quick, back later if I can, trying to get kiddos into bed and toddler is crying.
#4 of 850 Old 01-24-2006, 09:46 PM

My chiropractor has done wonderful things for my health and is keeping my sciatica under control. I struggled with pain for a few years ( and a couple BAD chiropractors and then found this guy. He's into a lot of other holistic type health care too.

My mom was just telling me about an HMO in/near Chicago that was requiring patients to go to a chiropractor before going to a medical doctor for certain ailments. One study showed that before these requirements were put in place there was a 23 percent C-section rate among the patients and afterwards it was almost 0.

I don't even go to a family doctor anymore, but then again, I don't believe in drugging myself or my kids. I like the fact that when I take my daughter in when she's not feeling well, she leaves and actually feels better after a visit to the chiropractor and didn't have to be doped up first

sarah

Mama to girl (11), boy (7) and girl (4).  "Can't we all just get along?" joy.gif
#5 of 850 Old 01-24-2006, 09:58 PM

subbing.

grnmt - i am of the mindset that chiros are great for some muscular/skeletal issues - mine has helped greatly with my headaches and back - but many claim that they can fix other things - like my dd's esotropia or ibs - i'm not so sure about that.
#6 of 850 Old 01-24-2006, 10:19 PM

Subbing, no time for personals, just a quick update...

I am currently dealing w/ some GI issues... my Imodium dosing before going running turned out to be a pretty bad experiment. I think I got a little carried away. One cup of Smooth Move tea later, and I am now on the BRAT diet. : No more meds for me for a while, I'm trying to get this under control naturally. I couldn't run today. I'm hoping I can go tomorrow, but even if things have settled down from the senna, I'm still not sure what I'm going to do about the underlying problem.

Anyway, I did have a good 5 mile run on Sunday while we were in Williamsburg, VA. I got to run through the historic area and campus and it all brought back lots of good memories of my college days.

I'll try to do personals soon; I have been reading along...

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#7 of 850 Old 01-24-2006, 10:31 PM

Hi you guys, I am so glad for the fresh start. I was so overwhelmed.....

EK's Mama, you sound like you are in the same boat I was a few days ago. It is gone now for me and all I have to show for it is a 5 pound weight loss, so now all is good. Hope the GI tract comes to it's senses soon.

GreenMNt. I think Chiro's are good for musculosceletal and neurologic issues. My good friend is a chiro and you wouldn't believe the vast medical knowlege she has. Chiropractic school is very rigorous, kind of like med school with all the different body systems.

Patti, my heart hurts that you are having a hard time. I will go read the other thread to see your post. I am sending you love.

I promise to do better keepingup here.

Did a quick hill work out today. It felt great. Watched some junky TV. LOL the TM sure has increased my dose of reality television I am a total project runway junkie now.

Love, ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

#8 of 850 Old 01-24-2006, 10:33 PM

Kerc, your doggie is beautiful

ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

#9 of 850 Old 01-24-2006, 10:35 PM

Subbing.

chiropractors: I have had good experiences, but only with non-bonecracking types. Network chiropractors have a very good rep., although I don't have personal experience. I went to someone (non bone cracking) while pregnant and it was a great help.

eksmom, I am still dealing with my GI issues, although I gather ours are quite different. I am hopeful I am on the mend (treating with acupuncture and herbs), but it is depressing to have my stomach completely expand and blow up after eating. Hope you are on the mend soon.
#10 of 850 Old 01-24-2006, 10:48 PM

Chiro ~ I have not had any personal experience with them, but I have considered going in the past. I'd rather try that first than resort to any medications I may have to take for a long time.

I do know a family that decided to take their infant to a chiropractor because her skull was misaligned at birth and her face looked "crooked." Many doctors suggested she wear the helmet and take the risk of having to get surgery or they could go to a chiropractor and possibly skip over all of that. They took her, often, to the chiropractor for about 3 months and you would never guess she ever had a problem. She's almost 2 now.

But for now I'm subbing as I take a break from Foundations of Education class. After that's done, I'm going to do yoga and go to bed early (I hope).

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#11 of 850 Old 01-24-2006, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmtnmama
Poppy - hope you're hanging in there this week. At the moment I'm so glad that my dh isn't employed, otherwise he'd be at SIA this week and OR next week.
that's exactly where my dh is right now, SIA/vegas. i was supposed to go to OR [last season i tried to hook up with monikita there for a run - remember her?] but i cancelled my plans to go to ...ISPO. bummer. hate being that far away.

in regards to chiro, i actually don't go regularly and have also had my suspicions in the past about if it works or not. i do know that it has done good things for my kids, and i still don't take them that regularly. the important thing, as others have mentioned, is to find one that works for you and your needs. i never saw one the 2 years i was in vermont, but i'd ask around to see who people like rather than finding one out of the phone book, etc.

we've had 3 days of which has everyone in good moods around here! but the rains return tomorrow *sigh*

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#12 of 850 Old 01-24-2006, 11:22 PM

Subbing...

Still no running but the leg is feeling better and better. I am having to restrain myself from running. I know I need at least a few more days if not a week to get it better to "good". Just because it feels better does not mean it feels good. That is my mantra right now. I've been doing the elliptical trainer, walking on the TM and swimming. Actually I am enjoying the variety. It's so much easier diving into these things being in shape than the other times when I have in the past being so not in shape. I need to stay with the cross training even when I plunge back into running...remind me please

I too have wondered about Chiro. I too reside in the realm of skeptic...
#13 of 850 Old 01-24-2006, 11:29 PM

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#14 of 850 Old 01-24-2006, 11:35 PM

moonshine, I thought about you yesterday when I was blown up like a 4-5 months pregnant mama... I'll tell you what... my pants magically grew bigger with each trip to the ladies' room today...

My system seems to be settling down. I'm thinking I will be able to run tomorrow, but it may need to be on the TM in case I need the facilities. I feel like a real for doing this to myself. From now on no more pre-run Imodium unless it's for a race.

#15 of 850 Old 01-24-2006, 11:39 PM

2babybees... I am glad your leg is better and you are enjoying the cross-training. Good for you for taking care of and not doing too much too soon.

I have been meaning to ask you about something you said a while back... about trying to run at enough of a caloric deficit to lose weight, while still having the energy for running. How's that going? I've decided I want to take off about 8 more lbs. and I figure that training for the half is a great time to do it. But, I know running totally increases my appetite. I just thought we were in the same boat on this one and I wanted to see how it was coming for you.

#16 of 850 Old 01-24-2006, 11:49 PM

Eks- I totally plateaued for the past 4 weeks and it has been killing me. I bought Runner's World Guide to Preformance Nutrition(or something like that). Basically he says to not focus on the calories, dieting etc etc. Improve the quality of food you are consuming, be conscious of portion control/serving size(ie be realistic) but do nothing other than that. Make every calorie count towards fueling your body efficiently for running and the rest will take care of itself. When I finally cut the last bit of "crap" out I broke through and lost 2 lbs this week, despite not even running(only cross training). We'll see as the weeks go on. I really want to loose ~8lbs now too...
#17 of 850 Old 01-25-2006, 09:48 AM

Hi everyone. I'm going to try and get out for a run/walk today. I am still deep in the early pregnancy funk of tired and quesy. Yuck. I feel so lazy, but I'm just completely exhausted.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#18 of 850 Old 01-25-2006, 10:41 AM

Good Morning, Ladies!
I have a big goose egg for running so far this week. We have family in town, not staying with us, but with the ILs so, we have been trekking down there everyday to spend time with them. Hopefully, I will get some runs in soon. I have been doing some yoga though-and really enjoying it

grnmtnmama-I also thought chiros were quacks, until I got a bad running injury while training for my first marathon. I could barely walk, let alone run. I went to a chiro who is very well known in our running community-so I think that was a little different. It was wonderful. There are two partners and they are both seasoned marathoners. I would go to one from word of mouth though-not just from a list.

patti-

shantimama-

eksmom-I have a good friend who went to W&M, she lives in Wmsbg with her family-4 kids later Her dh also went and grew up there. I love visiting them-its so pretty down there.

Hello to everyone! Off to do family stuff-and pick up the No Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers at the library-has anyone ever read her stuff, do you like it? Nio problem keeping K down once she is down, but getting her down to sleep these days are miserable. She used to go down on her own after books, songs, cuddles and prayers-no more-its getting rough-and she won't be rocked to sleep and has a tough time getting to sleep if we are in the room with her - she is in a crib now. Can't do CIO, just looking for some alternatives...
#19 of 850 Old 01-25-2006, 10:46 AM

Pumpkinseed ~ I'm glad you are liking the yoga.

Homebirthmommy ~ I hope you feel good enough to get out for a run/walk today.

2babybees and eksmom ~ Good luck losing that 8lbs. The nutrition book sounds really good. I may have to look it up on amazon.

poppy ~ Have you heard from Monikita lately? I miss her around here...

I plan on going to the gym in an hour to do another 30 minutes of running/walking. I wanted to do more running today, but I don't know if my runny nose and cough will let me. We will see.

Last night I did 30 minutes of yoga before bed, and it was great. I slept so good.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#20 of 850 Old 01-25-2006, 11:20 AM

Good morning ladies!

I still really haven't run all week. I did 30 mins on the TM last night, but it was more of a walk. I still feel great...no soreness.

MIL told me that FIL made a bet with her that I won't finish the 50. MIL called me and told me I better do it. (she thinks I can do it!) My MIL is awesome.

We have piano lessons this afternoon and probably a trip to the library too.

Oh...I got my first issue of RW the other day..

eksmom~ I'm sorry that you are still having GI issues. I wish I had some advice. Hopefully it will pass soon and things will go back to normal for you.

Jenlove~

pumpkinseed~ I'm sorry about the sleep issues at your house. I hope you find something that works. I wish I had some advice....I just wanted to send you a Enjoy your visit with your family!

HomeBirthMommy~ Sorry you aren't feeling well.

2babybees~ It sounds like I need to check out a book like that. I have about 10 lbs I would like to get rid of, but my appetite won't let me. Before I was running I was tandem nursing and had a huge appetite...then I started running...I lost 10 lbs, but my appetite is still there. I don't know if my body just won't let that last 10lbs go because I'm still nursing or if I just eat too much. Hopefully this summer I will be able to get it off. I could really benefit from a book like that....I eat too much crap.

poppywise~ enjoy the sunshine!

Patti~

ND~

Hello to everyone else!!!!

I don't have any experience with a chiro. I know lots of people swear by them. I have had a few running related issues that made me want to go to one, but I solved the problem myself with a lot of good stretching.

I hope everyone has a great day!
#21 of 850 Old 01-25-2006, 11:20 AM

Hi, subbing...

I've talked about my chiro a lot on here...he has helped a ton but (warning: "woo woo" ahead!) I think he is a healer...as in he has the gift of healing. I started going to one after some scar tissue from a gymnastics injury acted up in my neck and it was the only thing that helped...traditional medicine was ridiculous, they just gave me muscle relaxers and probably would have done surgery or something! now he adjusts my feet and hips and I know it's how I've been able to run so much in the past few years.

our family goes about once a month or so. a good one should give you maintenance stretches to do and you do have to go often in the beginning but it should space out eventually.

hoping to go to the gym...I'm becoming quite a rat but I'm getting into the TM and it is cold and windy here (weather wimp!). I'm also hoping to find a hotsling, cheap. The maya is not doing it for me this time after this growth spurt.

take care y'all.
#22 of 850 Old 01-25-2006, 12:03 PM

Oh, you guys, am I having a rough time here! Ds got pukey last night, and I am afraid dd will start puking today...wait and see, I guess. My mother was supposed to come over to help out so I could get some work done yesterday and she FLAKED on me, and never even called me about it. So, I missed a work meeting and had a crazy day, which then culminated in a barf-o-rama last night. I'm about 8 miles behind on my mileage, and I feel tired and unmotivated. I really feel like it's all I can do to just take care of my kids, and my work schedule is about 2 or 3 times too intense for me right now. Not sure when it will even out. I have 2 full weeks left on my own.

All that said, I am OK with being alone with the kids. In spite of the past couple of days, I needed some dh-free days. It will be OK.

re: Chiro, I think it all depends on how you see health care. I mean, we provide regular maintenance to pretty much everything but our bodies--the house, the car, the yard...Sometimes things can be fixed. Other things can be managed. I have personally not done much with a chiro. I have a back issue, but I have come to see that it's a physical manifestation of an emotional/mental issue, and I saw a PT for strength exercises after 5 or 6 chiro visits. The exercises helped, and getting mad helps, too. But I did like the way the chiro regarded me, where my family doc wrote a script for vicodin. I don't know...

So, I hope to find the wherewithall to run some today. But I might just be too caught up in puke laundry and ginger ale shopping.

Keep running, girls!
#23 of 850 Old 01-25-2006, 01:09 PM

I just got back from a run/walk and I'm trying to figure my mileage, but I have somehow "lost" my link for that site that helps you trace your run. Anybody got it or something similar? Thanks.

1jooj- I'm sorry you're having a tough time. Here's hoping it's a fast and not very contagious virus.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#24 of 850 Old 01-25-2006, 01:32 PM

mapmyrun.com
#25 of 850 Old 01-25-2006, 02:02 PM

Subbing.....I mostly : on the other thread - you ladies move fast!!!

I've been having a hard time getting in 3 runs a week. Dh does 24 hour shifts at a job 2 hours away, so I get to be single mom 2 days a week, then, I work 1-2 days a week at a job 1 1/2 hours away. So not a lot of free time for me . However, I HAVE been consistently running twice a week, plus either a yoga class, ski or snowshoe outing, so I'm still seeing progress in my general fitness.

I see a chiro periodically - every 1-2 years I have problems with my left sacroiliac joint and nothing else seems to help it. The chiro I see is not the kind to make you come twice a week for months. She always tells me, see how it feels and come back if you need to. I think it's great for musculoskeletal and other structural problems, not sure about some of the other chronic disease issues. I do referrals to chiro for patients all the time, but it's to a few practitioners that I know and trust, true healers. There are a lot of quacky chiros out there, but then again, there are a lot of quacky MDs out there too!!!
#26 of 850 Old 01-25-2006, 02:22 PM

Here is the link to the book I was talking about on amazon Preformance Nutrition for Runners

He mostly talks about changing your body composition versus losing weight. Lots of emphasis on organics, vital nutrients, good foods etc etc. Also does a pretty good run down on the different sports drink/gels/bars, what is appropriate for recoveries etc. Talks about everything from 5K's to marathons. Definitely goes into things this non-anatomy & physiology schooled person needed to learn.
#27 of 850 Old 01-25-2006, 04:09 PM

Hi runners! I hope it's ok if I hijack for a moment and ask a few questions?

I'm thinking about starting the couch-5k plan at www.coolrunning.com. Has anyone here done this with success? Also, I'm wondering about shoes. I'm kind of famous for starting things and not finishing them, and i want to do a work out where i don't buy anything right off until i know that i like it. Is it ok to run in the tennis shoes i already have (they're new balance, i think they're cross trainers?), and wait until i'm into the program to go buy running shoes?
#28 of 850 Old 01-25-2006, 04:36 PM

Do you know if that book covers eating a vegetarian lifestyle? It sounds great from the blurb.

Patti~hugs to you, I'm sorry you are having some sad days. I know we all need those to work through things, but they aren't easy. Hope you get through them soon. Hugs!

HBM~it can really be an adjustment to go from running as much as you were to feeling as tired and icky as you are now, but all for a great cause. Hope you get the run/walks that you want as you go through this phase.

Po6~so cool to hear how good you feel after such a long run last weekend. YAY! on the issue of RW, I look forward to mine every month. THat was my Mother's day present last year, a two year subscription!!

When is your ultra? I swear I will print out that great list from eksmom!

Pumpkinseed~it is hard when your kids won't go to sleep! I've been there and the No Cry Sleep solution really worked for my son. It was taking two hours to get him down, and now it takes 15-20 minutes, much better. I'd like to know how you go about the crib, I'd like tips. My ds used the pack and play for a while when I started the NCSS, recently I gave up and just put him to sleep in my bed (where he was ended up in the middle of the night anyway).

Ran zero on Monday, woke up with a cold and just had my hours all screwed up staying up late over the weekend. Tuesday I ran 5.75 and today I ran 5.25 faster than I normally run and it felt really great. Started drinking some gatorade while running, yum.

I got an email this morning from the race directors of the half marathon that I am running in May asking if I want to provide proof of my time so that I can be seeded in the first three corrals or in the preferred start corrals after those. I had planned on trying to do taht but this is extra motivation. they were asking me since I stated on my entry form that I would finish under two hours. (this race has 35,000 runners)
I'm a little worried about started near the front for fear of feeling forced to start out too fast. The last time I was near the back iof the middle and spent most of the race trying to get passed people.

got to run, little man by my side askign me to play knight and dragon with him.

Hugs ladies,
Lisa
#29 of 850 Old 01-25-2006, 05:27 PM

Shantimama - 15
Sallyz
Kpinny -

2babybees - 15.05
Poppywise -
Naughty Dingo - 11.6
Eksmom - 17.15
Doctorjen - 21.25
BBM -8
Geofizz - 4
kangamitroo
Po6 - 56.5
CrebRun - 27.75
Aprildawn - 10
Total 186.3

Okay, so I am stepping down from the bug throne and annointing Geofizz as queen of the bugs or rocks, or whatever.

So those that still have mileage to report, please pm Geo.

#30 of 850 Old 01-25-2006, 06:10 PM

I haven't been around much, but I am still here. I am finding it really hard to get back into running/walking. I feel fine now, just more focused on stuff other than exercise. :

Miss you all.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page