Eating To Live--April - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 169 Old 04-02-2006, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone,

Thought I'd start a new thread for April. I've love to be able to say Spring Is Here, but it most definitely is not here in Northern California.

For those wishing to reference the March thread, go to http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=417598

Happy April, everyone! I'm off to make my morning smoothie:

Berries
Orange
Flax seeds
Probiotic powder
Spinach
Soy milk
#2 of 169 Old 04-02-2006, 01:25 PM

Thanks, witch's mom. Had a bad day yesterday, but trying to let go of it and get back on track without judgement today. Am sick, so not as excited about food as usual, but hopefully it will pass quickly!

At least spring is popping up here, even if it is to get cool again.
#3 of 169 Old 04-02-2006, 03:46 PM

Hang in there moonshine!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!

witch's mom, thanks for starting the new thread....

183 this morning!!!
#4 of 169 Old 04-02-2006, 05:57 PM

I'm wondering what you use to carry your food everywhere. I'm a college student and I have two really full days this quarter, so I can't come home for eating. I try to eat at least two big salads a day. But, with the hot weather coming I'm not sure how to transport it. I was going to buy one of those laptop lunches, but it's not salad friendly.

Dready Homeschooling Mom 

17 yob

14 yob

10 yob

4 yog

2 yob

#5 of 169 Old 04-02-2006, 11:09 PM

Spring is here at least today it was! I see it's expected to be in the 20s tonight, though. Today was gorgeous.

SandyBeachBums (great name btw) I had a big tote bag that I bought for carrying groceries home from the store, and just carried my enormous amounts of food to work in that.

OK, I'm starting up again, got a quarter watermelon in the fridge and will bring that to work tomorrow. I've been eating entirely too much yucky garbage, and will be having surgery in about a week so I want to be as healthy as possible.
#6 of 169 Old 04-03-2006, 02:18 AM

Jumping in to subscribe!

Just got back from Thailand on Friday. Had a BLAST, but definitely not E2L. I tried to eat as much veggies as possible, but I mostly just ate what my in-laws served. I didn't put any weight back on though, so that made me VERY happy.

Back to full-time E2L tomorrow morning! I'm excited to feel better again. I'm also hoping I'll drop some more weight!

Naomi, mama to Faith (12/03) and Hannah (12/06) and Kai, a homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg on 5/15/10
#7 of 169 Old 04-03-2006, 04:14 AM

Witch'smom--I know!! The weather in Norcal: is making me nuts!!! I just checked out 10 books from the library to try and make the best of it...I am also cooking a lot of bean soup..

tempestjewel--glad you're back and that you stayed at your weight!!! That's awesome!

I am making something out of northern beans tomorrow that are soaking right now. I also got this book "100 Ways to Motivate Yourself" fromt the library....and well, it's motivational!!!

I also heard a quote from a disables cross-country skier that will really help me with discipline...when she feels in pain in a race she thinks "Don't get attached to the feelings" Like--I don't feel like eating salad, excersising (which I am still not allowed to do), cooking, ect....Make your unpleasant feelings unimportant...great advice.

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#8 of 169 Old 04-03-2006, 08:16 AM

I've heard lots of good things about E2L. I have requested the book from the library and look forward to reading more about it. How long have some of you been following this style? And how is it working? What do you find the most challenging?
#9 of 169 Old 04-03-2006, 08:46 AM

Week 2 Day 2...I'm down 5.5 lbs! That is absolutely the most I've ever lost in a week. It's like a miracle!

Quote:
"Don't get attached to the feelings" Like--I don't feel like eating salad, excersising (which I am still not allowed to do), cooking, ect....Make your unpleasant feelings unimportant...great advice.
I really like that quote! I am loving this plan, even though I'm struggling to follow it 100%. Try, try again! I succumbed to candy yesterday, but I'm back today. Sugar is my downfall. We went to the store yesterday and stocked up on veggies, so I'm going to try a couple recipes. I started getting bored toward the end of last week. Figuring out the cooked veggies is hard. At first I was doing canned veggies, but got concerned about the sodium.
#10 of 169 Old 04-03-2006, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hu*singing*mom
I've heard lots of good things about E2L. I have requested the book from the library and look forward to reading more about it. How long have some of you been following this style? And how is it working? What do you find the most challenging?
Hi! I was following it pretty closely from June 1st of last year through about Thanksgiving, and then had a pretty non-ETL winter. I'm back though. Me and my watermelon.

I lost about 30 pounds and have not regained it. I felt a lot better when I was doing ETL and had brought my blood sugar down several points (can't remember exactly but it was significant). I had a hard time getting through the winter on apples, bananas, and long-travelling lettuce that was high priced and had no flavor. I'd say that was the biggest challenge. Oh, and actually getting all the food in.
#11 of 169 Old 04-03-2006, 12:08 PM

I started the first week of June and stayed on plan more or less until the holidays. I had trouble getting back, but largely because of stomach problems that made my stomach completely distended. It is slooooooooooowly getting better.

The hardest thing initially was getting used to buying so much produce, but I had it easier than some here because I started in the summer. Then was getting used to cooking without oil, although I am totally fine with that now. Getting through the winter months was a bit rough, but mostly manageable. Now my struggle is with eating off plan occassionally, and being able to get back on the saddle quickly without all the emotional repercussions that only prolong the agony.

I had lost 19 lbs, but gained a few back, although now am at a total of 17. Am hoping for another 10 which would have been beyond my wildest imagination prior to E2L. I love this way of eating because I am eating the least processed foods ever. It has also rubbed off positively on my kids, which is great to see. Also nice is that if you do go off plan, you don't immediately gain all the weight back.
#12 of 169 Old 04-03-2006, 05:39 PM

GOOD FOOD- Guiltless Gormet Spicy Balckbean Dip with Carrot chips

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#13 of 169 Old 04-03-2006, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hu*singing*mom
I always say it is the first time in my life I can be full, healthy and skinny! First trimesteer pregnancy got the best of me and I gained 10 pounds.(I had an MC) Now I am back . I lost 20 pounds of stubborn baby fat in November and felt great. Dh is now on board and it is much easier!

#14 of 169 Old 04-03-2006, 06:37 PM

I am about to post before pics and current pics...they are amazing!!!! Talk about inspiration, not only to myself but for others too!!!!
#15 of 169 Old 04-04-2006, 01:37 AM

Well, I'm doing ok. I am soooo tired, I guess I'm detoxing. I definitely can use that quote, I get way too attached to the feeling (I don't want to eat another darn salad!). But, I bought some tofu and will be trying out my first meal with it tomorrow. Ok, I never got back to the thread last month so these replies are referring to that:

allgirls, thanks for the welcome back I think that is what I'm going to do (bring a HUGE salad), and I'll probably bring something to microwave if I get the chance but it will just be my back up. I totally feel your pain on the cheese thing, I never really noticed before E2L how much of food is covered in cheese.

moonshine, that's so cool that you're down to such a low weight. I hope your stomach issues fully resolve.

Ok, I'll do more personals tomorrow.

Mama to two boys and a girl.
#16 of 169 Old 04-04-2006, 02:32 AM

I had a major cheat yesterday. It was the first time I've really cheated for a whole month. I kept vegan, but it wasn't exactly uh, healthy. Back on track today. I love how healthy I feel! My friends and co-workers have noticed that I'm happier, more energetic, and I smile more.
#17 of 169 Old 04-04-2006, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter

Allgirls, where are you? I miss your daily posts.
#18 of 169 Old 04-04-2006, 12:16 PM

just subbing to the new thread. I'm still not really on track. I'm working on some underlying issues about not WANTING to lose weight, because I keep sabotaging myself even though I felt so much better while I was on E2L.......
#19 of 169 Old 04-04-2006, 01:15 PM

OK, so I have lost 7 pounds since starting E2L...that includes over a week of vacation where I know I did not loose anything.
So since I wanted to start the 6 week time frame over...today is considered day 2.

yesterdays menu:

Smoothie:
banana
med. orange
half a basket of strawberries
1T ground flax seed meal
low fat soy milk

Huge salad
1T 15 cal. dressing

lentil & brown rice bake, 1cup
steamed asparagus, spinach
big salad with 1T 15 cal dressing

3-32oz water
1 cup coffee, black
#20 of 169 Old 04-04-2006, 02:47 PM

i'm interested in learning more about this. i tried to do a search here for "eat to live" but the search terms are too short and they didn't provide results. i'm sure this has been covered before many times, but could someone link me to some other threads that explain the basics of eat to live? my library doesn't have it so i'd like to know more before buying. thanks!
#22 of 169 Old 04-04-2006, 03:33 PM

Hi everyone!

Just bought the book and at first glance it looks like it should be great! Trying not to think about the whole no cheese thing, but in a way think it could be a good thing - I'm a vegetarian who knows that ethically I should be vegan, but just haven't done it yet, so maybe this will be the kick in the butt I need!

I have about 50lbs to lose

Am going grocery shopping tonight to get stocked up on lots of veggie and fruit but am a bit confused about a few things. I haven't read the book yet - my bad, I know. I read the intro and the last couple of chapters on how the diet works in practice! I am reading the other stuff, just want to get started NOW. But what I was wondering was the 7-day veggie meal plan he uses - are you supposed to repeat that every week for the 6 weeks? Or is it just for the first week? Or is it just an example to get you started? Sorry if it is a dumb question. It's just that I think some of my existing meals could be suitable with a few adjustments - less carbs and oil, for example, but the veggies and beans are already the bulk. Oh, and I'd have to add salad. I never eat salad. That would be easier than having to introduce completely new meals 100%, though will certainly try new meals to keep things interesting!

Sounds like it's a lot of food to eat - how do you get through it all? It's supposed to be 3 meals only, isn't it - no snacking?

OK, off to read more of the book before ds wakes up!
#23 of 169 Old 04-04-2006, 09:26 PM

Ok. My book request for E2L finally came in at the library and now I am REALLY Admiring all you guys who have been able to stick to this!!!!! I've been doing a pretty helathy regimen from Apples and Oranges; but this is a much stricter plan. The idea of big time weight loss is appealing and so is the fact that several of you mentioned not gaining it back rapidly when you go off the plan for a bit. But... it would be so tough! Maybe I'm just not ready. I've already increased my veggies and legumes and switched to only whole grains. But I still have tuna, feta, olive oil, and a few other things that motivate me to stick with the plan I'm on. Like I said, you guys who are doing this are awesome!!!!
#24 of 169 Old 04-05-2006, 09:32 AM

Hi...I am back. Few days off line while we were setting up our new office..then hubby got sick...finally back online today.

I have 7 lbs to lose before my party..time to get strict. I haven't really lost anything lately...I seem to do that stall and then bigtime lose.

not much time

check in later
Carolyn
#25 of 169 Old 04-05-2006, 01:45 PM

thank you, moonshine! gotta get reading now!
#26 of 169 Old 04-05-2006, 07:52 PM

I am here, reading along...nothing super new to report..off to the gym!!
#27 of 169 Old 04-05-2006, 10:42 PM

I just started today!!! I am totally psyched!!! I am so GLAD I found this thread, I went to the bookstore today and read the book cover to cover, then went grocery shopping.

I have a history of heart disease and cholesterol/BP issues in my family. My dad died when I was 17 of congestive heart failure, and he was the OLDEST person ever in his family when he died, everyone else was dead by 55 years old. On my maternal side, everyone has the same issues - in fact, my aunt (mom's sis) is currently in in-patient Cardio care, and she is only forty-one years old. So though I am only 25, I NEED to whoop my butt into shape NOW.

I was down at almost my goal weight when I got pregnant with my dd, but gained an obscene amount of weight with her pregnancy. I currently need to lose probably 40-45lbs. Ugh! But I am suuuuuuuper motivated!! So please post often guys! I need to STAY inspired!
#28 of 169 Old 04-06-2006, 01:24 AM

Welcome Lucysmama!!!
Glad to have you here!! Looking forward to hearing from you.
YOU CAN DO IT!!!
#29 of 169 Old 04-06-2006, 09:20 AM

OK, first morning of this and not happy! I woke up starving at 5am - never a good sign So I've had some fruit but it's just made my stomach hurt - I always find fruit hard to eat on an empty stomach, especially a starving one! Fruit for breakfast is not going to be good for me. Sigh. OK, need to go do something to get my mind off of this!

C'mon all newbies and 'oldies' - let's keep each other motivated!
#30 of 169 Old 04-06-2006, 09:51 AM

Good morning!

Well here I am back on track again!!!

I did gain but I think it's my scale again...or that I had lost more fluid than I figured. Anyway..had a 100% day yesterday and will today and tomorrow. Saturday is my birthday...I plan on having a nice dinner out. It will not be 100% on plan but will be close. Cake may be in my future...but moderation. I have requested no cake but may have a piece at the restaurant...split a piece anyway...it's my fortieth..I deserve a treat.

After that I plan on sticking 100% until April 22 to get into something nice for the dance. I bought a top and just am waiting to buy a skirt because I want to get into a smaller size.

I am getting very close to my prepregnancy weight. Then I have about 10lbs to go to get to my weight that I have been for years. I still find it hard to believe I may end up smaller than that(159lbs) but will be doing this forever so it may happen.

beckington....being awakened by hunger pangs is not fun. Dr. Fuhrman says those are withdrawal symptoms, not true hunger. I think I agree since I rarely get hunger pangs now. I don't eat between meals anymore and my body has adjusted to it. It took about 3 weeks though. Hang in there. I have found my best breakfast to be oatmeal with raisins, cinnamon and vanilla...yummy. Smoothies also work. Plain fruit doesn't cut it...digests too fast and then I am hungry again.

my smoothie recipe....frozen strawberries, blueberries and mango, unsweetened soy milk and a 1/4cup silken tofu and a small banana...blend...add tbsp ground flax...it's yummy...mango sweetens it. I don't use sweetener of any kind.

yesterday I ate

oatmeal with raisins and vanilla

Big salad with raisins and almonds

Big salad with sesame seeds and cup of brown rice. Fried onions and mushrooms served on top of rice. cup of applesauce.

One thing that helps and makes or breaks my day is water...If I drink water all day it's a success...if I don't it's not...I think you need to flush daily. Plus it keeps retention away. Gives you your true weight. I also find I am regular at the bathroom as well.

This is such a simple way to eat....3 meals....plan them, make them, forget about them. Anything beyond that avoid...not easy but very simple.

I am still having my 2 cups of coffee in the morning as well. It tastes better now that my taste has changed.

Cheers
Carolyn

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page