April showers bring . . . wet runners! - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 719 Old 04-21-2006, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
eksmom, no race for me this weekend. it's too crazy, hectic, and my body isn't in it.

yesterday, while washing dishes and looking out the window, i felt this urge to cry. dh asked me what's wrong. i said: I don't know. I think I'm about to start again. dh: at least you have your sense of humor again. (note: i'm still spotting from my last cycle.) {sigh}

embarrassing moments? hmmm. there are probably lots of them, but the first one that comes to mind is standing outside of church one sunday morning and feeling my mom's slip that i borrowed fall down my legs and pool at my feet. i surreptitiously stepped out of it, wadded it up and stuffed it in my purse w/o breaking eye contact. later, alone, i dissolved in embarrassment.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#482 of 719 Old 04-21-2006, 10:55 AM

embarrassing moments...I don't think that I will ever have a moment more embarrassing than the conversation that dh and I had about his penis size while MIL was accidentally dialed up on the cell phone a month or so ago. You all heard the story all ready....I just can't rehash it....its too painful At least MIL is proud of her son! I'm over it now though....I can look her in the eye again.

....got to get these kids ready to go. I have to work again today....
#483 of 719 Old 04-21-2006, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
No run again today I haven't picked up the new puffer yet, and I am coughing up too much gunk just sitting still, so I don't think I will try any cardio-vascular stuff until I have the new meds.

Too bad, because I really NEED a run. I am feeling pretty stressed about meeting two of my step-sisters, and maybe one step-brother, after 29 years. I don't know what I want from this meeting other than to return some things that are rightfully theirs. I don't know if it will be a one time thing or the beginning of a relationship. It is a chance to bring closure to an abruptly, traumatically ended part of my life - but I am pretty used to having it as unfinished business, so it's opening old stuff up as well as bringing closure, you know? As nervous as I am about it, I know I need, for my own sake, to ask about their relationship with my mother. I expect the answers will be hard to hear, but in the long run probably easier than "knowing" she did some terrible things but having no confirmation of it.

Oh how I need to run this anxiety off. I am peaceful and anxious at the same time, if that makes any sense. I know it will be alright, whatever happens. I am afraid of turning into a blubbering idiot when I see the sister who lived with us.

Most embarrassing moment - the only one I can think of right now happened yesterday. I was at a cashier's desk and I started to cough. I covered my mouth but a huge glob of ickiness I wasn't expecting came up and right into my hand while she was looking at me - and I had no tissues in my pocket:

Just thought of another one - dh's first Sunday in a new church right after his ordination - ds is 2, dd is 5 months old. Everyone is checking out the new minister's family. I had nursed dd before church and planned to take her downstairs to feed her if necessary during the service. She got a little fussy while I was trying to keep ds still and she was tugging at my dress a little. Only when I stood up for a hymn did I notice that she had unbottoned the entire front of my dress. Good thing she was just the right size to cover up the front of me while I picked her up, carefully placed and rushed downstairs to redress myself Nothing like getting a good look at the minister's family, eh?!

I went home that day and ordered my first Motherwear catalogue.
#484 of 719 Old 04-21-2006, 12:13 PM

loftmama -

geo - yikes! hope you're feeling better - if i recall, you did not have much extra weight to lose to begin with!

eksmom - way to go!!

oh my - embarrasing moments? so many...most recently walking all around town on my lunch break with my zipper down. love that.

so - don't kick me out ladies - it's been a while since i last run : but i will be getting back on that horse this weekend. weather's good, need some stress relief.

i officially gave notice at work this week. grnmtnmama - no more trips to vermont for me, i guess telling my main boss man/owner of company was rough - he's been an amazing inspiration to me.

working hard to list our house that we've lived in for 6months. oddly, i am embarrased that we're putting it back up for sale, even though we have good reason. i think our neighbors, all who have lived in their houses for decades, will think we're ...unstable or something ah well, i'll get over it.

planning a move to nashville first week in june! i keep hearing good things about that city everytime i talk to anyone who has an informed opinion about it. it's nice to hear.

lucenamama - have you moved? how did it go? thinking of you!

happy friday everyone!

ppy

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#485 of 719 Old 04-21-2006, 12:23 PM

I ran a nice slow 3 yesterday with DD in the jogger. It was lovely! Got home, left DD in the jogger while I brought the trash cans back from the curb to their spot by the garage. Our driveway is long and old, and a lot of the cement is broken and different levels. As I was walking to get the recycling can I was looking sideways and blowing kisses to DD, and rolled my left ankle in a bad spot.

GRRRRR. This is my trouble ankle that I re-injure now and then. I iced it, wrapped it, and took ibuprofen, but it looks like no running for me for a bit. Just as I was finding my stride! I had a 14 miler planned for Sunday, which would be the furthest I've EVER run. DH says better to not run on it now and let it heal, then run on it and injure it worse and not be able to run for a month.

Let's see.. embarrassing moments.. all the times in my life I've pooped my pants. And: I was 18 or 19 and went to the dentist I had been seeing my whole life. I was wearing a long, black tiered velvet skirt, and, um, no unders. When I left and got in my car, the dentist came out and leaned down to my car window and said "Uhh, you have a rip in your skirt." I turned 4 shades of red and said thank you for telling me. When I got home I discovered the velvet was disintegrating along a seam all along my backside. :

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#486 of 719 Old 04-21-2006, 01:07 PM

Ran to and from my therapy today. Legs felt REALLY heavy. I didn't stop, but it didn't feel good. A little over a mile each way.

Embarrassing moment: I was at my cousin's wedding in Germany some years ago. My German relatives are quite religious and apparently frown on things like dancing. I had maybe a glass too many of wine and was up dancing with a few folks up front. All of the sudden I realize that my dress had somehow come open and was literally falling off of me. I quickly tried to fix it as inconspicuously as possible. No one ever said anything, but it isn't really the sort of thing anyone would mention.

loftmama I thought of this before when you have talked about your cycles and mood swings that go with it: my therapist told me that antidepressants can work quite well for that issue. (She did it herself for that reason.) Not to push meds as a solution to all things, but just thought that I would mention it.

On that note, very happy with the switch to Zoloft so far. Now, if only I could fix the GI stuff, I would be in heaven. Monikita, can you tell me again the name of the IBS book you mentioned before? I am still not completely convinced that is what it is, but some people think that it is, so I figure it can't hurt to read more about it.
#487 of 719 Old 04-21-2006, 02:36 PM

Ladies, you are making me laugh so hard OUT LOUD!! thank you for the pick me up, it has been great, keep 'em coming! hope everyone else is getting a kick out of this too!

One of mine, that comes right to mind, related to my period. Well two actually.

The first time I got my period I was 13 1/2 and away at camp. I had no clue what was happening, but found my roomie (a good friend) and she took me to the RA~type person and got me hooked up with some PADS. they were huge. So, one night, we are all in line in the bathroom to take showers and use the restrooms, get ready for bed type stuff. I didnt' have any pockets, and was terrified of holding a PAD in my hand, so I tucked it into the waste band of my shorts/pants (it's been twenty years hard to remember ). I went my turn in the bathroom, and panicked to not have my pad with me and wondered what the heck had happened to it. I left, washed my hands and was going back to my room to get another one as inconspicuous as I could. As I was washing my hands, I hear a chatter of girls "oh my gosh, some one left a pad in here " , "oh yuck, is it a used one??" " oh goodness, I hope not, I dont' want to touch it", "I can't believe some one would do that, it's so gross", " I wonder who it was, well who was just in here???" Oh boy did i run!!

The other, in high school, I think it was sophmore year, maybe junior. I had really heavy periods, and still not sure I was using tampons yet. Could have happened either way though. I'm sitting in math class, needing to use the bathroom to "change my pad/tampon". wriggling in my seat since class is a few minutes from being over and I'll just go then. I was terrified of "leaking". Just about two minutes before class lets out the fire drill goes off!!!! So here I am trying to squeeze it together, praying nothing is showing and we make it back inside in time. So after waiting around outside for a while, we have to get back to our class and sit waiting to be accounted for and excused. Well, that must have put me over the edge, because I got up to ask to use the restroom, and my whole back side and chair were covered in blood. ugh. the embarrassment.

ohh, one more...high school
I was out of class during class, there was another girl out by the soda machines from my class. She had these coke bottle glasses and was on the large side, real quiet and got made fun of a lot, but nice person. So I ask her if she can move the soda machine to plug it in for me (since she was much stronger than me). So while she is trying ot move it, I see that a hair had fallen onto her cheek. Trying to be a nice person, when she stood up I said soemthing about "let me get this hair for you" and when I pulled the hair, her cheek came with it!!! It was a long hair growing out of her cheek! Boy I felt awful!!!
#488 of 719 Old 04-21-2006, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy
ohh, one more...high school
I was out of class during class, there was another girl out by the soda machines from my class. She had these coke bottle glasses and was on the large side, real quiet and got made fun of a lot, but nice person. So I ask her if she can move the soda machine to plug it in for me (since she was much stronger than me). So while she is trying ot move it, I see that a hair had fallen onto her cheek. Trying to be a nice person, when she stood up I said soemthing about "let me get this hair for you" and when I pulled the hair, her cheek came with it!!! It was a long hair growing out of her cheek! Boy I felt awful!!!
OMG-that is awful!

These are hilarious!

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#489 of 719 Old 04-21-2006, 02:50 PM

HBM~how's your leg/groin feeling today??
#490 of 719 Old 04-21-2006, 03:00 PM

Runningmommy-you are so sweet to ask! It hurts like heck. I walked about 2 miles last night and it hurt so badly afterward I couldn't even sleep last night. Off to the chiro (for real this time ) for me. I am having trouble lifting my left leg at all now-putting on pants is a real ordeal. It's just crazy.

#491 of 719 Old 04-21-2006, 03:31 PM

Moonshine - Eating For IBS by Heather Van Vorous. It isn't just a cookbook - It has so much information, that really changed my life. Hope it helps you!

Ohh, those leaking moments. You gotta love 'em!

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#492 of 719 Old 04-21-2006, 03:42 PM

HBM~sooo sorry to hear it's really bothering you!! hope your trip to the chiro helps a bunch!

moonshine~I dont' know if this will be of any help, but a friend of mine was going through some really serious GI issues and thought it was IBS, then found out it was an allergy to gluten out of the blue. Now she is fine though.
#493 of 719 Old 04-21-2006, 04:12 PM

Hi, Everyone! Getting caught up with reading, but won't post much. Had my shoulder surgery on Tues. Getting the pain managed finally. My mom is here to help and is a life-saver!!!!!!!!! I'm wrthless as a lefty or would post more.
#494 of 719 Old 04-21-2006, 04:46 PM

Hi Cheryl-((((healing vibes)))) I hope you have a new improved shoulder in no time.

#495 of 719 Old 04-21-2006, 04:48 PM

CherylAnn, I have been wondering about you. Hope you are on the mend quickly! I know shoulders are tough though. Glad your mom is there for you.
#496 of 719 Old 04-21-2006, 07:27 PM

Wanna see my dream vacation spot???

http://www.gnomereserve.co.uk/
#497 of 719 Old 04-21-2006, 08:25 PM

Oh Reb, I am laughing out loud! I can't believe a place like that exists! I wonder if it's anywhere near where my stepbrother is working....he's in that neck of the woods...I will send him to get some pics of so because he's terribly bored.

I'm trying to think of an embarassing moment...probably when I was kissing my boyfriend good night (involving, erm, lots of tongue and things) and my dad opened the door and was right in our faces....OMG...but I think my dad was more embarassed than we were.

Ds and I went to the LLL conference today and it was lovely and very tiring!

Oh, I will be on the pilates bandwagon too. I went last night sort of unexpectedly...there's a class at 8 and I figured I could never go but both kiddos went down to sleep and I took off. I am pretty sore, and could not do the one where you sit up all the way from the ground. I'm sort of convinced that I have NO stomach muscles at all after this. But I do know I have a pretty severe diastasis, so you pros (crebrun?), what do I do?

dh is at work and both kiddos are asleep for the moment so I'm going to go make like one of HBM's kids and eat the rest of my easter candy.
#498 of 719 Old 04-21-2006, 08:36 PM

No running for me today, but I just got back from that Xtreme Training class at my gym! : I am sweatier than I've ever been after any run. It was like boot camp. Weighted jump ropes, who knew? Suicides, running laps, push ups ... and I thought I was in shape! Totally took me down a notch or two... it was fun though. The leg held up - at some point I actually started wishing it would give me a twinge so I'd have an excuse to quit!

OK, now somehow I have to haul it to the grocery store. I probably need a shower, but I'm gonna change my clothes and hope for the best...

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#499 of 719 Old 04-21-2006, 09:19 PM

Holy Cow, Katherine! That sounds like pure torture. No thank you. Good for you for doing it, though. Quite impressive (and slightly insane )

Mamabeth-you enjoy that candy! Good job on Pilates Do you do it at the Y? I'm glad you enjoyed LLL conference-did you meet anyone from MDC?

cReb-I actually did laugh out loud also. : Shall we all start a fund to send you over there? And darn it, why isn't there a gnome smilie?

#500 of 719 Old 04-21-2006, 09:47 PM

I haven't run for the last four days. It was pouring rain for three days, so we didn't go then. I could have taken the kiddos and the stroller to the indoor stadium, but honestly, I don't feel up to displaying myself and my non-abilities like that yet. Today, the kids were just absolutely cranky beyond belief. It was finally sunny and beautiful, and when I started getting ready to head out, both kids completely broke down. Neither wanted to go, it turned into this big screaming contest between the two of them, and I just gave up. It's been a bad, bad few days.

I did Pilates today, too. I do the Winsor Pilates dvds at home. Man oh man, do they kick my butt. I can't do that roll up into the sitting position thing, either, mamabeth. : The hundreds about kill me some days.

Has anyone else noticed that running seems to act as a natural appetite depressant?!? I was RAVENOUS for the past few days when I wasn't running, after barely noticing any hunger for the past two weeks of regular running/walking. I've never really noticed this with other forms of aerobic activity. Wonder what's up with that?

Ummmm ... embarrassing moments. When I was a kid, maybe ten years old or so, I was riding the bus home from school one day, when a kid a few seats in front of me hocked a giant glob of phlegm out the window. It was a nice day, and I had my window down, too, and was sorta reclining in my seat. That big glob of phlegm flew into my window, right into my mouth, and I swallowed it in utter surprise. The kids on the bus spread the tale and EVERYONE made fun of me over that incident for years.

Let's see. I also have a split skirt incident. I was at a concert with DH in a very small, smoky club, and I got up to go get some drinks at the bar. When I came back, a woman at the table behind us came over and told me that my skirt was torn in the back. Mortified, I went to the bathroom to look. It wasn't just torn, it was completely split down the back seam from the waist to the bottom hem. I was wearing very racy undies and a garter belt/stockings, too -- you could see it ALL. (This was in my pre-children days, so racy undies were still a part of my life. ) I drove home and changed and then drove back and waited for DH in the parking lot. :

One more. When I was in high school, I played every sport imaginable, but basketball was my real love. During basketball season in my junior year, I got a very, very bad case of food poisoning. I was NOT going to let that stop me playing, though. So we went on this long bus trip to an out-of-town game, and I was so sick. Vomiting, diarrhea, the whole nine. I made it through the game, and only had to stop once on the bus ride home. Then, when we got back to our school, I had to GOOOOO. Only, the coach realized that she'd left her keys at the out-of-town school. I couldn't get into any building with a bathroom, it was after ten o'clock at night, nowhere else to go ... and I ended up having an episode of diarrhea all over myself. Just couldn't control it any longer. I tried to kinda hide in the bushes until my mom came to pick me up, but it wasn't easy. I was utterly and completely mortified.
#501 of 719 Old 04-21-2006, 09:48 PM

Reb!

beth, thinking about pilates, too.

eksmom, :

my dream vacation

poppy, good luck with the sale of your house

monikita, hope your ankle heals soon.

hbm, sorry that leg is still hurting you. hope the chiro helps.

cherylann, ohmygoodness shoulder surgery? is this from the triathlon/swimmer's shoulder?

moonshine, thanks for the info. for now i'm going to chart it, wait for a doc's visit. i think i can always take birth control pills and be reg. again. just waiting for my dt's appt.

got a run in the morning w/my ol' running group. it is the highlight of my week. i am so excited i can hardly stand it. i've already got my coffee maker programmed. something about the routine/structure of it just fires me up. it's my own thing, you know?

RM, :

Boadiciea: swallowing someone else's phlegm :Puke

#502 of 719 Old 04-21-2006, 09:53 PM

totally

but since you ladies are so crafty, i had to share...i just finished this amy butler/nappy bag and diaper pad today for my friend who's due in a few months. [she's an MDC mama:chiromama]
nappybag

i think i have regained my bug for sewing! i switched to knitting a while back and hadn't pulled out the ole sewing machine in a while.

ok back to our regularly scheduled real topics!

xposted: loftmama!! i would totally do the surf safari too! i had been looking at the womens surf camp in socal, but that one looks much better

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#503 of 719 Old 04-21-2006, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftmama

Boadiciea: swallowing someone else's phlegm :Puke
It was really disgusting. Also really embarrassing. Not a fond memory, but one permanently etched in my brain, ya know?!?
#504 of 719 Old 04-21-2006, 10:15 PM

Poppy-that is absolutely gorgeous! You should be very proud of yourself. I'm practically drooling!
On that same note: Mamabeth made a carrier for me to give my SIL for her shower tomorrow. Wow-it's stunning!
This is a very (multi) talented group of women.

#505 of 719 Old 04-21-2006, 11:30 PM

Poppy, that is really pretty! I love that fabric! Wow!!

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#506 of 719 Old 04-21-2006, 11:58 PM

Greetings from the Land o' Lincoln! She's baaaaack! Freaking finally. I missed you guys! We've been here about a week and we're still getting our bearings. Lake Michi is humungazoid! We're in a highrise in downtown Evanston overlooking that inland sea, pretty lovely.

I just read the posts that show up on the reply page so I'm sorry if I missed any really big news.

Belated Bday to ND! I'm in your neck of the woods now!

Geo, why am I spending money on Weight Watchers when I could be couching out with better results?

I'm LOVING everyone's embarrassing moments. Mine of course involves farting: I worked at the campus coffeehouse in college and was looking at the schedule one day, NOT at all feeling gassy. This cute supervisor I'd been flirting with snuck up behind me and tickled my sides, startling a loud fart right outta me and in his face! Then I tried to "hide" it by laughing really loudly. It sooo didn't work....:

Poppy!! Nashville!! OMG!! Good luck with everything. What's the midway point between Nashville and Chicago? Let's meet there. Love the nappysack.

Loftmama and Shanti,

Running is happening, but not a lot of speedwork. I miss my old TM And with DH's new work sched, finding time is tough. We may join the Y which has baby sitting, but I definitely lean toward getting a new TM and putting DD in part time day care.

I'm happy to be back. Pooped now. Off to watch What Not To Wear.
#507 of 719 Old 04-22-2006, 12:57 AM

poppy, love the bag! gorgeous. the handmade/homemade things i'm given rank as the best gifts ever in my book. that is so sweet of you to make that!!

lucenamama, congrats on getting back to your old stomping grounds. here's hoping that everything works for ya'll there and life is looking good! :

#508 of 719 Old 04-22-2006, 07:12 AM

lucenamama - I am so juvenile, your post had me laughing hysterically with tears running down my face. :

embarrassing moments, jeez there are to many to tell...so here's a few:

I'm running with my cc coach in highschool when my bra strap just snapped. My response: "uh, I have to go now." I turned around and started walking home after 1 mile of a 6 mile run. He didn't say a word

When I was 13 I had to get a sports physical to be on the track or cc team...well they used to do this thing where groups of kids from school would ride over on the bus and get it done at the clinic. So the nurse has me go to the bathroom to pee in a cup. As I'm walking back...I trip over the entry way into the nurses office, splattering pee everywhere...including my hugest crushes' feet : He was nice about it, the story didn't get around.

When I thought I had to fart and well, let's just say it was a mite juicier? :
#509 of 719 Old 04-22-2006, 09:42 AM

cReb calls those "sharts!"

I honestly cannot think of what my most embarrasing moment was. It could be that I "forget" my most traumatic memories, and honestly women, those things would be traumatic. I mean, I was 10 when I got my first period, but it wasn't so much embarrassing as absolutely devastating.

Hmmmm...every time I have to visit my in-laws, I need an escort to go outside and take a dump in the open air, how about that? In fact, now that I'll be closer to 40 the next time we go, I am insisting that I am too old for that kind of embarrassment, and I will not stay at their house. Hotel for me.
#510 of 719 Old 04-22-2006, 10:03 AM

"sharts"

Loftmama, actually we're brand new to these parts. I meant I'm baaack on the thread. Thanks for the well wishes

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page