April showers bring . . . wet runners! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 719 Old 04-07-2006, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Thanks for all the about the quilt! I am pretty happy with it. I decided a long time ago that if I am making something myself, whetehr it be a quilt or knitting a sweater or making a stained glass window, whatever, that it had to be beautiful. It is never "cost effective" to do these things, so I might as well make it worth my time and effort and make something I am thrilled with in the end. With these quilts, it doesn't take any more work, just a few more dollars (and only sometimes) to make one that is really beautiful as opposed to pretty plain. Why spend the time doing that when I can make a work of art, right? I was surprised when I was looking around online at how many of these quilts are being sold when they are just plain blocks alternated with patterned blocks. Checkerboard patterns are okay, but there are so many other possibilities. At some point I want to try making memory quilts, either with clothing from a loved one or incorporating photographs that have been transferred to cotton.

drjen - I use cotton batting in the quilts made with flannel and homespun, no batting if one of the layers is denim. I have heard some people simply use another layer of flannel in the middle but I haven't tried that yet. I am working on one for dh and I that has batik cotton on one side, a cotton print on the other and a layer of flannel and a layer of cotton batting inside. I have no idea how that will turn out, I just want to make it extra cozy for us.

I was SORE last night - my butt my muscles were killing me after that run and rock climbing. I wound up going to sleep on my stomach to give my butt a break and now I have a stiff neck. Must do yoga today and run again tomorrow. Must do yoga today and run again tomorrow. Must.

kate~mom - we are in the process of ripping out carpets too, for ds and I. We just have plywood subflooring underneath which I will paint in fun designs on it until we can afford wooden flooring. My ds is home sick today, wheezing and barking away. We have an eleven year old golden retriever - a huge part of the problem but we can't bring ourselves to part with her. I probably could, but I feel so guilty even saying that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 719 Old 04-07-2006, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
loftmama, take pictures! I grew up on a farm. First, just a place with barn, pigs, my g-ma's horse, dog, cats and calves, and then later a dairy farm, until I moved out after HS. Dh and I hope to get back to it in a couple years. eta: back to farming, not the family farm.

kate~mom, I (of course) cried listening to "gracias." Thank YOU--I hadn't heard it. Been leaving the radio off until later in the AM, so dd can sleep later in the AMs this week. Been missing the afternoon stuff, too. This means I miss the good stuff.

No run last night, but dd and I did our henna. It was really, really time. I was actually considering just letting the grey grow in, since I had like an inch there already. But I like the henna color on my hair. Dd, poor thing, gets worked up about it, but her vanity wins. She's sleeping in her headscarf. The rinsing is always a whole separate production.

Cold, wet and windy out there today. I plan to run this AM on the TM, and then maybe take the kids out for a visit with cousins and lunch at sister's.

Good day and great running, ladies!
#63 of 719 Old 04-07-2006, 01:03 PM

Shanti--your quilt is so beautiful! I agree with selling them at craft fairs if you can. Then people who will actually be interested will be there, you know?

oh mamas, I am so lame but I can't remember what is going on with whom, and it went to a new page and I didn't take notes. Just know I love y'all and think of y'all often!

I ran today and I'm glad the smilies are back because that's how I feel! I really do think I had some pp depression and can still feel it some days because I am starting to feel "better" when I didn't really realize how bad I felt.

For those of you keeping score, I am quitting my job. I am sick of being conflicted about it and feeling like I'm doing a crappy job at it, and my boss, after promising to not put more pressure on me, put pressure on me at our last meeting for results this year. So I will probably work through July (to pay for the Chicago trip! ) and then be a SAHM, occasionally supplying (preaching at different churches) on weekends for cash. I feel so relieved and think that's part of the reason the depression or whatever it was is lifting for a bit.

My run was so much fun today! I ran from the chiropractor's to my usual park, through the park, and then caught the last part of my loop home. It's getting HOT here, high of 81 today, and I was feeling it. But it was fun and then of course when I got home I had to do my striptease and feed Mr. Man. But he slept seven hours last night so it's all good.

and did I mention that dh and I actually went out for a beer last night? And nachos? it was one of our dating things (no wonder we both weighed 50lbs more ) and we went to a bar near our house after kiddos were asleep while SIL stayed with them.

I know not every day can be like this but I am so, so, so grateful when I get thrown one every now and then. It keeps a mama going.
#64 of 719 Old 04-07-2006, 02:08 PM

mamabeth: yay on making a decision about the job! and great job on the run. 7 hrs of sleep in a row would make me feel like a new woman.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#65 of 719 Old 04-07-2006, 02:17 PM

no running to report as of yet, but i'm so sad this morning! there was an issue with dh's website and the first order that he got and i was trying to get him to help me figure it out and he turned to me and said "that's what you get when you don't pay someone to make your site."

i worked so hard on it, i know i'm not a professional web person, but that was so mean. and he has no idea how much it hurt my feelings. i have half a mind to just disable the site and let him figure hire someone and figure it out from scratch.

and to top it all off - we just had a major diaper malfunction and smooshy, smashy poo was everywhere. bath for K, clean clothes for both of us, a full load of laundry and carpet cleaning. i'm so ready for this day to just be over.
#66 of 719 Old 04-07-2006, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yeah for making a decision mamabeth! "Will preach for $$"

OK. Confession time. I haven't been running because I'm scared. I run at night, and during my last several runs I've been startled by unleashed dogs "constrained" by invisible "fences." There was a dog that would run right through his "fence" in Ann Arbor enduring a shock to run after me and the jogging stroller. I'm not a dog person, and I've spent much of my adult life trying to convince myself that strange dogs aren't going to attack me. These "fences" are the norm in my neighborhood. I prefer dogs I can see from a block away clearly chained with a real leash.

Can anyone give me some confidence in these so-called fences? I need to go running.
#67 of 719 Old 04-07-2006, 02:46 PM

Mandy, that sucks. Thumbs down to your DH for that comment! You have worked so hard building the site... as someone who has been involved in building a web store before, sometimes these things just happen. Customers are usually very understanding if you give them good customer service. I am sure you'll get it worked out (although I like your idea about disabling it and letting DH figure it out).

Geo, I don't know what to tell you... I am a dog person and they (the dogs who charge the invisible fence) scare me too. I'm not fond of the invisible fences for a variety of reasons. That said, all of the dogs I have encountered on a run have stayed in if they were on the system. I had a little sheltie (not on an invisible fence) charge my ankle one time and I was surprised that I was prepared to kick it if it got much closer ... it was growling and barking and generally put on a convincing show. Anyway, could you carry something? Do they make sprays a la pepper spray that work on dogs?

The unfortunate thing about a dog barking at you from its yard or whatever is that by the very nature of what you're doing - walking, running - you are setting up a situation where the dog thinks that it chased you off and successfully defended its territory, thus reinforcing the behavior. I have never known what to do about this but sometimes I will yell "Quiet!!!" or "No bark!!" at the dog and generally try to let it know it's not scaring me.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#68 of 719 Old 04-07-2006, 03:36 PM

Geo- My old neighborhood had plain old unrestrained dogs. Some people believed in simply letting their dogs out regardless of whether they had a fence or not. There were two in particular that would follow me and pretty much freaked me out. I'm glad I never had to face them at night. I second EK's notion of some sort of doggie pepper spray. If the invisible fence fails at least you have a second line of defense.

Mandy- Shame on dh!!!! Personally my first response would have been to disable the site as I am hot-headed gal. Hopefully he sees the err of his words soon...
#69 of 719 Old 04-07-2006, 04:33 PM

I actually had an encounter with two wild dogs once, when I was running in the middle of nowhere in the warehouse / manufacturing district of SLC. (No, I shouldn't have been running there, (by myself, no less) but I did - Mon thru Fri.) I saw them coming at full charge and thought "Oh crap. What do I do?".

I turned around in their faces, and yelled "NO!" at the top of my lungs, right in their faces in my meanest, angriest voice. I meant business, I was angry, not afraid, and they knew it. They took off in the opposite direction. Since then, when I encounter mean neighborhood dogs unrestrained, I do the same thing. Works every time. They may not run off, but they back up away from me and bark from a distance.

I absolutely love dogs. But if any dog tried to mess with me, my child, or my dogs, I wouldn't hesitate to kick, fight, whatever to get them to leave me alone. But I've never had to. Yelling and getting in their faces has always worked.

Pepperspray works on dogs. That is what mail carriers have with them. The bad thing is, if you give them too direct a shot, it can kill them. I don't think it is a wise idea... especially if you accidentally spray the dog out of fear, when it is actually staying behind it's invisible fence.

I'm so thrilled! My new running skort came! I can't wait to give it a test-run!

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#70 of 719 Old 04-07-2006, 05:50 PM

mandy -- I'd have to be totally upfront and honest with him about how you feel. Did he say that to be mean or just to make an offhanded comment -- like he was joking around?

geo -- I'd carry a loaded weapon: a water gun. Dogs LOVE LOVE LOVE to chase bikes and I've had really good luck out in the sticks here spraying dogs chasing my bike with my water bottle. This was pre-erin, sadly I've not been on my bike much since erin's pregnancy. Generally my experience is that the underground fence works well for dogs. Personally I'd take note of which dogs are where and then you'll have this idea that there might be a dog in the yard. There's one particularly nasty jumpy dog, behind a chain link fence thank god, but every time I go by I'm startled. Now I tell myself to brace for it.

I've not been running because I have been a slacker. DH took dd1 to the mall, I took the afternoon "off": short story is I have a t shirt and a vest on. I had a meeting that ran 45 minutes over, didn't pump in time, and now my tshirt is soaked. babe cries....

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#71 of 719 Old 04-07-2006, 05:54 PM

Wogged again today-Did 3 miles with about 2.5 being running. Hoping to run at least 4 times a week and walk the other days. That is my plan at least.

Off to shower. We have free movie tickets so we are going to try to take the kids to see Ice Age 2- Ice Age 1 is one of dh's favorite kid movies

Have a great weekend. Check back tomorrow.

Peace and love,

Patti
#72 of 719 Old 04-07-2006, 06:49 PM

Those pics of your son are so precious, Loftmama! I hope we can see pics from your homestead, too!.

Kate~mom, ditto on the "gracias".

Shantimama, it would be so hard to let go of a beloved pet. I don't know that I could do it, either.

1jooj, have we seen pics of your dd's henna'd hair?

Mamabeth, you sound really good when you talk about leaving your job. Didn't you say you aren't a minister? You must be a heck of a public speaker!! Very cool.

Sheesh, kerc, you need some sleep!

s grnmtnmama, your dh needs to know how his words affected you. You have every right to feel hurt. I've done websites with online stores and there are ALWAYS bugs to work out. My last WOH job was building commercial websites and there are ALWAYS issues of some kind. It's not an exact science (although it seems that it should be). It's more of an art...all that coding and databases, etc.

Geofizz, sounds like you need your own dog! I live in a rural area where most of the dogs run unleashed. It's illegal, but generally accepted. There are no less than 14 dogs on my 3 mile route. Most of them are nice, but you never know. My running mentor was bitten by a dog on this route a couple years ago...took a chunk out of her calf. She isn't a dog person, either. It wasn't one that lived on the route. It belonged to an orchard worker. I bring Bella with me so that they will chase after her and not me. I still get scared, but it helps. I feel a little guilty because Bella is pretty submissive and she has been nipped a couple times. Often, we'll end up with a little pack of dogs running with us. She's also really social and makes friends easily, so some of the dogs (and a goat!) on the route hang out at our house a lot.

Ooh, Monika, I want a skort!!! I'm waiting until I drop 15 more lbs, though.

Patti Ann, we saw Ice Age 2 last Friday and all loved it!! I hear that Siskel and Roper (whatever their names are) gave it two thumbs down, but I got totally engaged in it and really enjoyed it.

We got back not too long ago from that 2 hour hike. Turned out to only be an hour and a half, but it was great!! Nothing like trail blazing up a steep incline to get your heart rate up!
#73 of 719 Old 04-07-2006, 07:06 PM

hola ladies.
Well, it seems that I got my husband's stomach virus two days before the half. How great is that for timing? I came home at eleven today to have the comfort of my own bathroom.
As long as i'm here i'm taking advantage of the time to get the house ready for the open house on Sunday. I'm getting stressed, though, because the house still isn't up on the website and the sign isn't in the yard. There is a little 'open house' sign, but not the big for sale sign. It was all supposed to have happened already. I want people to know about the open house!! Did have a call already yesterday (it was officially listed yesterday) that a couple wanted to come and see it, but the lady had to work until nine last night and they were going up North until Sunday night. I guess they were pretty concerned that someone will put an offer on it at the open house. It was supposedly exactly what they are looking for. We'll see.
Ran my fastest three miler in at least 1.5years, maybe ever, last night I had to push it to try and get my speeds up for my fast running partner. Dave even did well on it. It's usually the last two miles of our six milers that hurt him, so it was a good one. The shorties are kind of fun!! Get out, have a good run, and be done before it really feels long We should taper more often, 1jooj ha! No, it's just a light week to have fresh legs for the half on Sunday...then back to the hardcore marathon training. We've scheduled out our long runs all the way through the marathon (which is in about five weeks now) and have two 20 milers coming up. yikes!! Which of you ladies is coming up to run with us for those??? The adventure could be dragging us the last two miles by our big toes while trying to balance our lattes on your head...with us screaming at you in slurred screeches to not spill our coffee!!!
I got a skort last weekend and it's great. Also got some running capris. I'm so fancy now.
#74 of 719 Old 04-07-2006, 08:29 PM

I think I really like the Brooks skort, but holy dollars. I don't think so. Maybe next year, on clearance. Maybe by then my leg-skin will...mmm...lessen. Or maybe I'll just wear pants forever. I guess, with the right pants, it's just as well. I'm not a shorts-wearer. Not in more than 10 years. Almost 15.

I bought a pair of cropped running pants, half-price under-armour leftovers in grey (which is so totally me, seriously), and a bra that I hope works out OK. Still searching for a technical T-shirt that I like and that is as cheap as I am.

Mamabeth, I have decided that, if my work-Plan B doesn't happen, I'll likely be SAHMing around the same time as you. I hear what you say.

I've had very good luck with dogs. Dog poop, notsomuch. I get really mad about dog poop left out for me to step on.

Oh--and my jaw is wound so tight that I've had a tension headache for the last 3 days. Grr.

Woo-hoo! Picking up our race packets tomorrow! My big sister plans on coming to the half!

CherylAnn, I'll try to get a shot of dd in the sunshine so you can check it out. It's awesome. I do mine, too, but she's so darn cute.
#75 of 719 Old 04-07-2006, 09:42 PM

Here's a pic of me, post 5 mile run, in my new skorty-skort. I love it! It's the Moving Comfort one. I did get a weird/dirty look from a lady and her husband when I was running at the park, but who cares! I love feelin' all girly when I'm running!

1jooj - We pick up our dog's poop when we're running, so it isn't us. (Well, 98% of the time. Sometimes when Febe poops on the local predominant religion's church grass I leave it. Sshhhh.) Will you come over and henna my hair? I wonder how it would turn out. I wonder if I'm brave enough to try it on my own.

#76 of 719 Old 04-07-2006, 09:49 PM

Now, now Monikita....please pick up the dog poo.

On the other hand, you might give the Young Men a service project idea!
#77 of 719 Old 04-07-2006, 09:54 PM

Feel better soon, cReb!!

Monika, that is a great skort! I love the length! Beautiful picture of you, too!
#78 of 719 Old 04-07-2006, 11:03 PM

[QUOTE=party_of_six] Now, now Monikita....please pick up the dog poo.

On the other hand, you might give the Young Men a service project idea! [QUOTE]

Thanks, CherylAnn!

#79 of 719 Old 04-07-2006, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonikitaUT
We pick up our dog's poop when we're running, so it isn't us. (Well, 98% of the time. Sometimes when Febe poops on the local predominant religion's church grass I leave it. Sshhhh.)

:

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#80 of 719 Old 04-07-2006, 11:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You guys aren't making me feel better about the dogs.

The worst part of these electric fences is you can't tell if there's anything there or if the dog truely is loose. I thought about going out tonight, but I started to panic again. I'm using the tornado warning as reason to stay home without guilt.
#81 of 719 Old 04-07-2006, 11:25 PM

Geo - graduated exposure. Is it as scary to walk past the house? Try breaking it down into smaller steps and do that... Do you have a route with fewer dogs that you could try?
#82 of 719 Old 04-07-2006, 11:56 PM

back from vacation a day early (everythings fine), subbing for now, off to bed ! missed you ladies and can't wait to catch up!
#83 of 719 Old 04-08-2006, 01:42 AM

Geo. Can you see if the dogs have the collar on? They have to be wearing that collar w/ a sort of large thing on it for the fence to work. Oh, but if it's dark... duh... But I know what you're saying... by the time you know for sure they're stopping, the fright has already occurred.

For what it's worth, I think your experience with the one in Ann Arbor who broke through to chase you is the exception, not the rule. The fences do work. The dogs I have known personally who have been trained to them... once they are trained, it really is like a true barrier fence to them and they will not break through for anything. I wasn't suggesting spray because I think you'll need it, but more because I thought it might make you feel better to have some tangible means of defending yourself. Maybe you could run one evening while there's still light and scope everything out... get a feel for who lives where. You could then even run on the opposite side of the street as you approach and pass those houses if that's feasible... again giving you more distance between the fence line and you.

I'm totally with you, the uncertainty of not knowing how to react to the situation because you don't know if they're loose or on the fence is very hard. But for the most part, and if the owners are halfway concerned, I think the fences do work.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#84 of 719 Old 04-08-2006, 07:24 PM

Geo - i have a similar problem. there's a dog on my regular running route that has tried to eat my dog (also known as my running partner) in the past. there have been days that i've seen her(the dog) out and just turned around and cut my run short. other friends carry pepper spray.

I scored some kid-free time this morning, so in addition to working at the shop cleaning and organizing and creating price tags and so forth - i RAN. three miles. a brisk pace for a brisk temperature and it was one of those runs that just felt great.

dh was just being a big asshole again as i tried to get things accomplished for the shop. why do i even bother? oh yeah, it's 1/2 my money going into this thing. i don't know what to do, he's not a 'talker' or a 'listener' and when he's being a big doodoohead my only choice is to put up with it and make plans for single life. it's not fair, but neither is life.

eta - pics of my new easter bunnies on the blog...
#85 of 719 Old 04-08-2006, 08:52 PM

I swam AND ran today I didn't swim that much maybe just 2-300 yards/meters errr, I should know this...

and then I went for about a six mile run pushing dd in the jogger, while dh rode his bike. It was so nice. We got to talk the whole time. It's one of the few times we get to talk.

grnmtnmama- sorry about the : dh
#86 of 719 Old 04-08-2006, 09:55 PM

You are NEVER going to guess who sent me mail today!!!!!!!! A Secret Sprinter? NO WAY, SENORITAS!!! Santa Claus??? Nope. Donald Trump? ummm....NO.
THE GNOMES sent me a package!!!!! Really!!! The only return address info was "The Gnomes" and that's how the note was signed, too. They sent me a gnome car air freshener!!!!
....I have a feeling that the gnomes had a helper on this board.... but hey, they're GNOMES, for Pete's sake...they can't reach the mailbox!! of course they need help!!!!!

So, we're all set for the half in the morning. 1jooj and i have our race packets and bib numbers. And goo. I worked my butt off on the house today to get it ready for the open house tomorrow--painting the porch, door trim, front shutters, front windows.... cleaning... painting the window in the shower... I'm going to be sore from today, so it should be interesting. Got a preview of the finisher medals when picking up the packets. They have a big pink bunny on them Sure hope that we aren't the last two finishers... the Easter Bunny would laugh at us and not give us our post-race carrots. (seriously on the carrots)

Oh, and I'm wondering if my ss got her special Wisconsin package...... It was supposed to arrive yesterday and I'm anxious to hear what she thought of the Dairy State delicacies.
#87 of 719 Old 04-08-2006, 11:12 PM

creb and 1jooj, good luck tomorrow!!!!! I am sure you will both do awesome and can't wait to hear all about it!

grmtmama, That sucks about dh.

bbm You did way more than I did today. Well, I did do a massage. Maybe that is why my back is so tight now.

: to everyone else!
#88 of 719 Old 04-08-2006, 11:21 PM

No run today, but took a fun kickboxing class at the Y-my quads are already so sore! Planning on going for a run tomorrow morning with K and dh.

Good Luck jooj and Reb on your half tomorrow!

Grnmtmama-sorry about dh-relationships are so hard at times.

Geo-yikes on the dogs! Are there any trails or paths around where you can avoid homes?

Patti-hope you had fun at the movies

BBM-the run/bike with dh sounds great! My dh and I always have great talks while running together-that used to be our only together time when we were both working like crazy before K. I miss those runs-we still get them-just not nearly as frequent as we used to. I think we have done all of our "life planning" while running

Have a great rest of the weekend everyone!
#89 of 719 Old 04-09-2006, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

hi all - did a wonderful 7 at 8:00 pace on the treadmill at the y while dd played field hockey.

about "gracias" - i heard it on the radio the other day and it really touched me - we're talking eyes welling up while driving touched. i thought some others at mdc would appreciate it. glad you did!

creb - good luck on the race tomorrow! hope your stomach is feeling well. you might want to put a closed circuit camera near your mailbox to pick up some footage of the invaders.

1jooj - good luck also!!!!!!

bbm - a swim AND a run - what, no bike? j/k great job mama! and 12-31 sounds like a wonderful date - i'll keep my fingers crossed!

grnmt - sorry about the dh with rectal-cranial inversion syndrome. i am dealing with the same ailment in my dh - perhaps we should start a support group? those comments have to have stung - i know how hard you've been working. and listen, if you want to do that race, i will be totally in!! it sounds like a blast - and going slowly is a-ok with me. i wouldn't want to push it too hard two weeks before the half anyway. we would need to register asap though - it closes 4/11.

Quote:
for everyone else, you have to read this race description . . .
It is ALMOST a guarantee that sometime off in the future, either Mary Kate or Ashley Olsen will appear nude in Playboy. Maybe both; cavorting along with Britney Spears and Jessica Simpson in what historians will designate the “Grand Slam of Pubescent Celebrity Nudie-ness”. But, rest assured, at least ONE of them will end up showing the world the “parts” that Danny Tanner saw when changing their diapers every third episode. The Olsen twins won’t do it for the money, having made enough cash thru Tapes/DVD’s & “Olsen-ized” lunchboxes, CD holders, bongs, etc to purchase much of Western Africa, with just enough left over to install wall to wall carpet in all of Cameroon (not its building, the entire country!) And one could EASILY question the public’s desire to see someone naked that has been battling Anorexia and who’s faces were so scrunched up during their youth that it seemed like the doctor trampolined on their mom’s gut during labor! But they’ll do it anyway, much like Tiffany, Debbie Gibson, Shannon Doherty and other former kid stars, to prove to the casting world that they are now “mature actresses to be taken seriously” rather than “little girls”. This astute career move will, no doubt, lead to a long line of roles as crackwhores, the best friend(s) to a gay guy going through relationship problems or the pampered snooty fiancée of an uptight, schlub businessman who finds true happiness with a wild, irreverent honey who never holds a job for more than 4 weeks and shops only in consignment stores! The main question is to all of us is “WHAT CAN WE DO TO STAY BUSY UNTIL THIS MOMENTUS DAY ARRIVES?” Well, one option is the Pagoda Pacers’ 12th Annual Mt Penn Mudfest, the largest rustic trail run east of the Mississippi. Your thoughts of the Olsen twins in camisoles will be pushed aside by visions of the race’s piggy-themed awards & shirts. You’ll revel in unique aide station culinary and liquid delights; things that Mary Kate wouldn’t even ATTEMPT to “keep down”. You’ll chuckle at the “events within an event” such as the “raw egg carry” or the “Easter Eggs” hidden at miles 2 & 7, much as you used to chuckle at the hilarious patter between Uncle(s) Joey and Jesse (oh, those guys!!). And you’ll wrestle with a course of downed logs, rocks aplenty, shallow nipple-hardening creek crossings, long tedious climbs and other obstacles ALMOST as tough as the girls’ responsibility to be fashion trendsetters. The race is open to the first 800 runners, a limit reached for the past several years, so make sure you enter before we have a “Full House”.

Legal Crap: YOU RACE AT YOUR OWN RISK, you alone are responsible for your well being while here! We don’t look for missing runners since anyone dim enough to get lost on this course can’t engage us in the level of intellectual conversation to which we are accustomed while we’re carrying them out; which bouts in the recent Steel Cage Grudge Match were fixed, what is Michael Jackson’s nose currently made out of, should you wear white running shoes after Labor Day, anything involving T.O., etc. Also you (yes, you!) are responsible for getting any bones your break or organs you damage to the next aide station since we are weak little runners that can barely carry a tune, let alone another human being! For that reason, the race is also closed to 1) those under 18 yrs. 2) those who ever even considered naming their children after a geographical location such as Paris, Dakota, London, Chad or Wilmington (Fred Flintstone’s wife) and 3) anyone who has EVER, for a millisecond, supported “smokers rights”!

shanti - the good news about our floors is that there is hardwood underneath them - they just need to be sanded and refinished. and yes, i would be a disgusting, sniviling mess if i have to get rid of the dogs. i am not that attached to one - she is a little difficult to love - but i do feel warm, guilty feelings toward her. the younger one, though, is my baby - she's a 6 yr old dopey, lazy, tubby lab-cuddle-muffin. she would likely die of heartbreak if we had to get rid of her. so we are going to go at this in babysteps - trying one thing at a time.

mamab - good for you for making a work decision you can feel good about! nice run - and 81 degrees?!!?! i'm jealous once more - it SNOWED here today.: and beer, nachos, and 7 straight hours of sleep? maaaaaaaaaaaaan, you're living the life!

geo - i'm under the impression that those fences work fairly well - but they are scary when a dog is charging toward them. even though you usually run at night, is there any way you can maybe take a walk past them during the day to see that they do work?

manikita - cute skort!!!

patti - good to see you 'round these parts - congrats on the wog! let's try to get together soon - april might be crazy with half training and the end of the semester, but starting in may, my life will be much more mellow!

loft - those pictures of ds racing are the cutest things ever - if i were you, i would absolutely buy every one of them!
#90 of 719 Old 04-09-2006, 10:49 AM

Run reb run! run 1jooj run!!

I ran again this morning ~ 7!!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page