It's June and humid get running and racing mamas!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 920 Old 06-02-2006, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kerc - so sorry about your sister. Is there any way she can fight the bills? Not appealing, especially with everything else going on, but her situation reminded me so much of my dads; he had a heart attack two years ago and there was some hoo-ha about being kept at the *wrong* hospital, for which they wanted to charge him $80,000. He fought a pain-in-the-ass fight and came out getting covered. Sounds like you could use a couple hugs these days; ouch on selling the baby clothes. Good thing your comfort object cant be lost

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#62 of 920 Old 06-02-2006, 09:34 AM

Kerc-I'm so sorry she's having such a rough time. I agree that she should fight it. I used to work for an insurance company and I saw people fight things and have them changed. They were the people who a. called constantly (numerous times a day) or b. hired an attorney. The threat of a lawsuit almost always brought a new review of a claim.

We're heading to the zoo today, then the Braves game tonight. Am I freaking crazy? : Ha! Finally got to use him!

Favorite things:
child-piano
teen-piano (playing/banging Rachmoninoff really helps take the edge of off teenage angst )
adult-wedding ring or possibly the drivers' license that actually has a good picture (just b/c it's so rare )

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#63 of 920 Old 06-02-2006, 09:35 AM

As a child, my prized possession was my blankie. I think a great-grandma made it, but I'm not sure. It would probably still be my prized possession, had my mother not burned it when I was 13. Yes, I said burned it. Not "hid it away to give back when I had kids," but dragged it out to the burning barrel and lit it up.

As a teenager...I was materially pretty unattached. I think I was extremely depressed, and also I was traveling a lot. Maybe my jungle boots? My smokes, for sure. I think it was a combination of not having much to start with, and knowing my mom could and would take anything of mine without notice.

Now...Hm. My house? Probably my house. It's not pretty or nicely decorated. I'd love to dump about $60,000 into remodeling, landscaping and decorating it--all lovingly, not in a "this house is so crappy" way. I live in a great little house on a great little street, the yard is just the right size. I can hide here, my friends can find me here, my neighbors all wave when we pass by. And in 10 years, it'll be paid for. So, it's either my house or my passport.

Dh didn't give me my run last night, and so then we had an argument, and he said something really stupid (he's SO BAD at arguing--if we ever went to counseling, I'd specifically request that he be coached on effective and humane arguing). It worked out somewhat in the end. He seems to think I want to get away all the time. In fact, he claimed I was out with my sisters "the night before last." After the dust had settled, I pointed out that "the night before last" he was referring to was 7 days ago. I got a footrub out of it, and I think I'm getting some time alone today. All said, I put about 12 miles on the bike yesterday. I never really felt like I got a workout, though, and my butt was sore by the end of the day.: And I am still kind of mad. I mean, here's a guy who's never been alone with the kids for 24 hours, and I have done it for 24 days. And he's critical when I at least have the brains to request 45 minutes alone. Some days.
#64 of 920 Old 06-02-2006, 10:04 AM

oh my gosh 1jooj, that's my husband. He said something the other day like "you ask for 20 minutes sometimes, and don't get me wrong, I think that's great. BUT I dont' get 20 minutes" ugh.

kerc~hugs to you and your sister. Oh my goodness, I'll be praying. That is a lot to handle in such a short time. I hope she gets a break soon.

got to run ladies, hello to everyone!!
Lisa
#65 of 920 Old 06-02-2006, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy
teen-piano (playing/banging Rachmoninoff really helps take the edge of off teenage angst )
Oh, totally, but for me it was Gershwin's Maple Leaf rag and the 3rd mvmt of Moonlight Sonata.

Me? As a kid it was definitely my blankie. It got caught in a suitcase zipper when I was 6 and it was never the same again.

Teenager? Not sure there. Maybe my prized pair of guess jeans that I paid for myself (actually, the difference between the guess jeans and how much my mom was willing to pair for jeans).

Now? My engagement ring? I should tell the story sometime of dh unzipping his pants in Versailles to propose.
#66 of 920 Old 06-02-2006, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
oh please do tell :
#67 of 920 Old 06-02-2006, 12:41 PM

quick post because i need to be writing syntax for my meeting with my student ra in an hour and a half.

kerc - to your sister

wendy - yes, do tell!!

most valued thing - my curious george stuffed doll I got from my nana when I was 1yo. Has gone with me everywhere over many years, and now Ethan loves and sleeps with Georgie Not sure about a most valuable adult possession. Probably my laptop - sorry, geekie, but I use it all the time. I do back up the hard-drive in case you're wondering, so it could be replaced.

last night was awesome. local ap mama friend unexpectedly stopped by with her kids and we had a great time visiting/playing. our dog stayed in the car without much complaint, so now we can officially have friends over as long as it isn't too hot outside - yay!!! and they saw our house in its usual chaotic state and didn't care - double yay!! then, went on an awesome 55min run. no pain or nausea and felt strong. only annoyance was that the bottom tip of my diva cup was rubbing strangely - not painfully but just enough to be irritating. anyway, felt strong at the end and ran faster the last 1/2 mi or so. fun!

have a great day everyone.... more later.
#68 of 920 Old 06-02-2006, 01:25 PM

: I'm way behind already! No time no to catch up either but just wanted to say
: I ran 4.25 miles today! :

A lifetime achievement run for me! It felt good too, if we hadn't been running out of time I think I could have done at least another lap or two.
When we got home a friend called to ask if I want to do a 6k on Sunday at 4 pm. That sounds a little late in the day to start a race but maybe I should go for it. A 6k is about 4 miles right?

Well, I'll decide tomorrow. 2006 has sucked so much that I'm starting the newyear with my b'day tomorrow, so may a race is just the thing.

I'll catch up later, hope you are all well.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#69 of 920 Old 06-02-2006, 02:18 PM

usually i read and dont post, today it will be post and dont read (nak, can you tell?)

off to albany today for the wkend - my race is tomorrow am, I'll probably not get to post about it until sun eve (don't know if my aunt has a decent connection or not). ojh, I swam today for the first time in ages, felt great.

good luck and have fun to all the racers this weekend (can;t wait to hear about the big 26.2 monikita!!!)

see you sunday geo, safe travelling.

kathy
#70 of 920 Old 06-02-2006, 03:04 PM

First off, I updated the race list. Saskias, what is the distance of your July 4 race? Want me to add it? And Balancin1, if you'll give me the dates (and any website links) I'll add your July and September races. to all you July racin' ladies... I can't fathom racing in that kind of heat and so don't plan to unless the mood just strikes me out of the blue. Anyway, also, Plady, want me to add your 6K?

I am a little absent minded these days and I can't remember what I've already said to whom, so if I repeat something I have already said, please just nod your head kindly and ignore. :

Sally, when does your DH return? Hope the not-tupperware party is fun. I am fairly clueless about such things.

BBM, I am glad the lump is OK. Good for you for getting it checked out quickly. I like your new avatar... it is bright (a good thing) and of course fitting.

Re: Indigo Girls... I am behind and haven't purchased their last couple of albums... must do that... but, I am on their mailing list and they have just finished recording their latest. I'm not sure when it will be out, but it's in the works.

1jooj, hope the job situation ends as you want it to. I would also climb the mountain for your advice. Sometimes you say things and I am like, "D@mn, that is exactly the perfect thing for that situation and I sure never would have thought of it!!" And I am craving iced rooibos tea... must make some this weekend. Sorry about your DH, hope you get that alone time today.

Wawoof, good luck getting through DS's apparent growth spurt. I'd go for solids at daycare too. I am so impressed that you are able to run the kids to sleep! I am a Curious George lover too, ever since I got one that winds up and plays a tune for my first (or second?) Christmas. We actually had MIL paint a George mural on DD's nursery wall in our old house. It was the happiest room in the house.

Grnmtnmama, I love the Swiffer too... if you make a pattern, they will come. I'd buy it! Thanks for sharing the relay pics.

Monikita, you are gonna rock this marathon! Is your DH going to take pictures? You know we all want to see...

cReb, I am glad you are feeling better, and glad the work presentation went well. Very nice pictures! My favorites are the one of the Lake Michigan (?) stones and the one of your DH sitting on the shore. Beautiful. You have a great eye and great composition!

Loftmama, spinach and strawberry salad is one of my faves.

Shanti, congrats on getting the paper finished! I have to admit that sometimes when I read about your paper-writing I feel twinges of jealousy. I have a love-hate relationship with writing papers. It scares me, but I kind of like it, and I like the feeling when I'm done. But I haven't had reason to write one for a couple years now.

Poppy, awesome booties! You are one crafty mama, very talented!

2bbs, I can totally identify with you on the body changes, etc. I'm proud of you for all the hard work you've done and especially dealing with injury but not getting derailed. I am so excited that you are about to accomplish your half-marathon goal. I know that you'll do great! Enjoy it! And then come here ASAP for show-and-tell!

Balancin1, welcome. Oh boy, I can tell I'm going to have trouble with typing your name! I have already typed "Balancin!" and "Balancin2." As has been documented on this thread in the past, I also have trouble with Party_of_6, which comes out Po^ instead of Po6. I don't know what my deal is with the shift key. ANYWAY! I would say that as a runner and with the heat, you might take a slightly different view on salt. I normally don't crave salt (I'm a sweets type of girl), but after noticing that I sweat out a lot of salt and get white and crusty, I have started salting to taste on some foods. I don't know that that would help with the hydration/nursing per se, but I thought I'd throw it in.

Nancy, welcome!! What do you do that leads to a presentation to med students on careers in science writing? (I ask because I work for a teaching hospital.)

doctorjen, I think you can catch up on your mileage goals! about your little DD. Mine is a few months younger than yours and the bedtime nursing is pretty much all we have left. Lately she has been falling asleep with DH in the recliner while reading if she is really tired, and last night after nursing she and I just snuggled to sleep, whereas normally she still nurses to sleep. Bittersweet is right!

JenLove, wow, what a day! I hope you are having fun. I bet you'll sleep well tonight!

Geo, we're all waiting for that proposal story!! :

Hi Kpinny, have fun meeting Geo!

OK... I've got to post this mammoth post and go fix some Tropical Emergen-C. I might be back.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#71 of 920 Old 06-02-2006, 03:36 PM

OK, I'm back.

First, a question... is it safe to eat wild strawberries? We have quite a few growing in a little bed in the backyard - they look like they were put there purposely by the previous owners, who were quite the gardeners. If we can eat them then we shouldn't be letting them go to waste!

My mom was supposed to have her first appt with the oncologist this morning, but a couple of days ago they called and pushed it back to next Thursday. We did get some good news, though... the GYN who did the D&C told her that the cancer is a grade 1. We're hoping that means it will also be stage 1 with no spread.

DH had his appt with the psychiatrist on Tuesday. I'm not a fan of her for a variety of reasons, but I guess the important thing is that he is now started on Wellbutrin XL.

I saw my counselor again on Wednesday. It was good; however, she is cutting me loose. Turns out she is EAP-dedicated and doesn't continue with people beyond the initial 3 sessions, so I now have an appt with a lady right across the hall. I kind of dread telling the story all over again, and I am bummed because I felt really comfortable with the first counselor. Oh well... maybe it will be OK. I don't go back for another few weeks.

I have what I think is a sinus infection. My teeth hurt all day on Wednesday in addition to the constant flow of yellow goo, etc. I made a dr. appt and of course I felt a little better the next morning. I went anyway and got the antibiotics. I suspect maybe I jumped the gun, but it had been a week, and with everything else that is going on I just didn't feel like I could wait 2-3 weeks to see what happened. : The memory of the one I had back in December is still strong.

I had my first ever truly terrible run yesterday. I was supposed to run 8, but I got started and my legs felt so heavy. I was all out of whack emotionally from the counseling the day before, and my legs were tired from biking the day before, so at 2.5 I just started walking (and crying). I mostly walked the 2.5 back to my office. I felt lousy about it, and it hurt my efforts to up my weekly mileage, but I just could not slog that one out.

Plans for the weekend: race tomorrow AM, run 7 Sunday AM and then hopefully get out for a longer bike ride Sunday PM. I love, love, love, LOVE the bike.

#72 of 920 Old 06-02-2006, 03:36 PM

kpinny, good luck! i contemplated signing up for the friehofer women's 5K. until i realized i probably would still be in nh at that point. i've got an aunt in schenectady i can always stay with. maybe another time. have fun!!!!

congrats plady on the new pr.

kerc, I'm really sad to hear about your sis. insurance and no money was dh's cousin's problem and the reason he didn't get the medical treatment he needed. i sure hope it works out.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#73 of 920 Old 06-02-2006, 03:53 PM

this is from dd:

day going ok. garage sale was crazzzzzzzzzy. busy busy busy.
off for a nap.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#74 of 920 Old 06-02-2006, 04:22 PM

Hello!
I ran 4 miles this morning-my quads felt like lead weights for the first three-the last mile felt great. I think I am just going to walk tomorrow to get the legs rested but moving for the race on Sunday.

eksmom-sorry about your run get a good rest and cleanse your mind before your race-good luck on your race tomorrow!!

plady-way to go on the 4.25

wawoof-I had my first run with my diva cup last week-I love that thing!

1jooj-good luck on the job!!

kerc-prayers to your sister. I had a friend in graduate school who did a huge project on HPV-its amazing how many older women who are widows have been diagnosed with it after their husbands have been dead for years-its a very strange virus-a lot of women who have been diagnosed with it have had only 1 partner in their lives. Some women aren't diagnosed until many many years after exposure.

Monikita-good luck!!!! you are going to do great-you are so prepared and ready-don't forget to enjoy it and leave it all out there

Do any of you use an online running log? I have been meaning to start-I just have been using a notepad for years, but am looking for something new. Maybe something that can also track shoe mileage, etc...anyone use any that they like?

Good Luck also to kpinny, 2BBs and kate~mom!!

K is up-must go!
#75 of 920 Old 06-02-2006, 04:52 PM

Picked up my race packet today. I'm # 2167. Yeehaw! AF is here with a vengence, just in time. Thanks for all the encouragement, y'all. It means so much to me. Fo sho. (Is that how you say it, Reb? I can't remember!)

High of 89 tomorrow. Must. Finish. Before. Noon. so DD can get her nap on time. How is that for some speed motivation? How about Just. Must. Finish. I'm feeling pretty good today - more excited than scared, which is great.

If I don't finish, I may be too ashamed to show my face to y'all again. So if you don't hear a report, I'll be hiding in my closet. : :

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#76 of 920 Old 06-02-2006, 04:56 PM

Oh, and Eksmom - I've had a run like that a few times over the years. I think every runner gets one eventually. You did the right thing in bagging it. Watch, the next time you get out there you will feel great! And I just want to say that you are an amazing woman and I admire your courage and emotional stamina. You are doing such a great job of hanging in there. You're an inspiration. Okay, I'm getting all teary eyed. I blame .

#77 of 920 Old 06-02-2006, 05:00 PM

Hi Mamas, I am back from my trip and rarin' to go. I'm feeling much better and need to get the wog on so that I can shuffle along come July 15

Missed you guys!

ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

#78 of 920 Old 06-02-2006, 05:03 PM

kerc - sorry to hear about your sister's struggles. enjoy your nap!

no run today - ds nursed aaaaaaaaaaaaall night long and i couldn't get out of bed in the am. i am planning on doing power yoga this evening and then yoga for flexibility with dh when he gets home (at midnight : )

monikita - you will do wonderfully! fo sho.

pumpkinseed - i don't use an online running log - but i use an excel spreadsheet that geo sent me and i adapted for my uses.

eks - i'm keeping you and dh in my thoughts and am hoping everything works out for the best with you both!

geo - you know we would love a pants unzipping story. do not hold out on us.

prize possessions . . .
child - probably my cabbage patch kid?
teenager - my doc marten boots
adult - not 100% sure - even after thinking on this for a while. maybe my camera - i do it.

for all the crewbies - here's a funny - i still have my unisuit from college - i *think i saved it because i thought the padding might be an alternative to bike shorts at one point? anyway, i was digging around in the attic for my tank tops (it is gross and humid here again!) and found it - dd (age 5) has now been wearing it all day, and it's not *that baggy on her - can you tell i rowed lightweight? i should take pictures of each of us in it!
#79 of 920 Old 06-02-2006, 05:06 PM

nd
#80 of 920 Old 06-02-2006, 06:13 PM

Eksmom - I'm still not sure about the 6k on Sunday. Right now I feel like jello since I did another pilates class after my run. That sucks about your counselor. I would feel really betrayed if I was told to go see someone else, even if there was a good reason (I don't know what EAP is). I hope the new one is better anyway.
Monikita - you'll do great! And if you don't finish you'll still be cooler than everyone else who doesn't even start!
Kerc - I don't think hpv is always super serious. I was diagnosed after dd1 was born and I totally freaked out but with just vitamins and high doses of pycnogenol it just disappeared on its own. I am more vigilant with pap tests each year but it is really gone (yes, it may reappear eventually) and nothing surgical was required. Anyway, not that she needs the added stress right now. I second (or third or whatever) the fighting the charge thing. It sounds preposterous.

Things here are still dicey. Dh has had high BP since Wendy (maybe before, we weren't paying attention) and despite a variety of different meds it hasn't come down. Yesterday the dr. said he thinks it is a problem caused by the kidneys and tomorrow they are doing a u/s to see. If it is it will mean surgery to put in a stent or maybe even kidney removal! BIG SIGH.
At least MIL seems a bit better so he isn't going to have to head back to the States on Monday (knock on wood). I can't wait for this year to be over.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#81 of 920 Old 06-02-2006, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom
kpinny - 5K - June 3
MonikitaUT - Salt Lake City Marathon - June 3
eksmom - 10K - June 3
2babybees - half - June 4
pumpkinseed - 10K - June 4
kate~mom - Riverdale Ramble (10K) - June 4
wow - look at all the racers!!! wow. you ladeies are THE BEST!!!

plady

fave things? i've been stumpedc all day - finally deciding on:

childhood - books (nancy drew) - no fave blankie, doll or toy

college - journals ??? how boring

now - laptop - has my pics, blog, finances, goes anywhere, maybe i'll journal with it, too. i would one day like to have a super fancy fountain pen and that might be a fave, but for now, my ibook.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#82 of 920 Old 06-02-2006, 08:11 PM

Okay, the woman I follow around has now run two marathons. That makes me a little more knowlegable on the subject than the average gnome. Not much more. A little more. She is, as you see, not a fast or strong or champion marathoner. She is a slow, uncoordinated, jiggly, slightly pudgy, and front-of-the-back-of-the-pack marathoner. Therefore, my advice will not get you into the front of the pack or to a sub-3 finish (I think that's what those crazies call it when you're fast: ) I can, however, be of assistance when it comes to the enjoyment of the marathon. Take the advice as you may...

: Keep thine eyes peeled for flying fleghm. Runners tend to spit a lot. It is not pleasant when it runs down your cheek or GnomeGod forbid shoots into an open mouth as you gasp for air while trying to keep up with the sub-three people.

If you can feel your heartbeat on your funny bone, you're going too fast.

: Don't eat popcorn at the aid stations. Gu is more effective. Those damned husks can get caught in your teeth and you will stop in a diner for a toothpick and screw up your time in grand fashion.

: If you see stars and your arms start flopping, you may have caught Reb's seizures. Drink more Gatorade.

Try not to run behind exceptionally well defined men. Especially if they are wearing tiny shorts and a nice tight tank top. The drool that is created can cause you to slip and fall if you step in it just so.

Drink one cup of coffee an hour to two hours pre-race. Add Kahlua.

Don't let anyone circumsize you until after the race.

Keep your mind busy with other things until the race starts, so as to not get too nervous. This also helps during the race if you start to get bored. Think about gnomes dancing in chocolate pudding wearing only their red hats. It works for me.

Try and stay away from brick walls. Really, do I need to explain?

: Swords + fanny packs = trouble.

Two words. Vas eline.

: Keep 'em in your shirt. I would think that all of that bouncing would hurt.

I do not recommend running a marathon if your body is shaped like this. It's not very aerodynamic.

Beware of terrorists carrying fake babies in slings. If you see one do not make eye contact. Trust me.

Launder your running clothes before you wear them again after the marathon. Unless you are trying to repel mosquitos or sexy bikini-clad gnomes

I'm serious about washing your running clothes.

Wear a lot of sunscreen. If you are anything like Reb, you'll be in the sun a LONG LONG time.

: It would be in your best interest to not run with your hamster in your shorts pocket. For obvious reasons.

: If you see any fans who look like this, take the extra minute to thank them for their support, hug them, and take a bite. You'll be getting hungry.

:Puke There may be a lot of vomit. From others. From you. From others who see you vomit. Watch your step and please be respectful of the other runners. Puke in bushes.

Try to wait for short lines. And always remember, "Salad Shooter!!!!"

:cop: Always thank the policemen when you pass them at intersections. They are out there to make sure the people in cars don't run you down. And they're probably hot and thirsty, too.

No matter what, HAVE FUN. Make fun memories.

: Look around. Enjoy the scenery. Look for hot men and rogue gnomes. It passes time, makes you smile, and you never know what craziness you'll see.

Don't start too fast, go for a negative split, and in the end make sure you've left everything out on the course. You'll regret it if you know you could have run five minutes faster had you not been pokey on mile 24 or in the blue house of stench at mile 11.

That's about all the marathon advice an old gnome can give.... Good luck. you'll do wonderfully.
#83 of 920 Old 06-02-2006, 08:19 PM

Reb-:

You are such a hoot.

Patti
#84 of 920 Old 06-02-2006, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinseed
Do any of you use an online running log? I have been meaning to start-I just have been using a notepad for years, but am looking for something new. Maybe something that can also track shoe mileage, etc...anyone use any that they like?
yep, I've been using CoolRunning.com since the beginning of the year. Love it. Fo' Sho'
#85 of 920 Old 06-02-2006, 08:30 PM

OMG!!!! : Thank you Reb. That was priceless. I'll do my best, y'all!

#86 of 920 Old 06-02-2006, 09:15 PM

pumpkinseed-I use cool running too for my log. These days it is mostly walking miles I'm putting in though. I need to get out for a run again.

Hi to everyone. I miss you all. Went for my first walk of the week today. Hoping to get out running again soon. Good luck to all the racers this weekend.

Patti
#87 of 920 Old 06-02-2006, 09:41 PM

Thanks so much for the warm welcome and the great advice. I cannot believe it didn't occur to me to try breakfast-in-the-stroller. My DD loves to eat on the move and it is such a simple thing that just might work. I've been banging my head against the wall trying to run her down for her nap which obviously can't work in the summer anyway.

I do think I need electrolyte drinks I just feel a little silly as if I'm posing as an athlete to "need" them.But a few times after a long run I have had a persistent headache for the next day which felt a lot like dehydration. And it is only going to get worse as summer goes on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom
Balancin1, welcome. Oh boy, I can tell I'm going to have trouble with typing your name! I have already typed "Balancin!" and "Balancin2."

I'm so not picky--B1 will work or whatever slides off your typing fingers... I consistantly type my own real name all jumbled up and have perfected typing it as "C" "H" "E" "S" "L" "<backspace>""L" "S" "E" "A"

And I should have chosen a less ambitious username--today I took a big spill off a slide at the playground and crunched my ankle. : No run today. The doc says I can go again after a few days if it's feeling better but to keep it braced, I guess forward motion is fine but not anything which might twist it again. Figures just as soon as it cools off enough to be pleasant I ruin it somehow. Maybe I'll swim tomorrow and just aim to run on a treadmill on Monday. (Or bike? but I haven't done that in ages...)

The race I'm doing is July 30, here's the link. I am nervous about the heat but thought it looked like a good first race, as according to the results from last year I should be solidly in the middle of the pack even running my training pace, and since I'm just starting out, I'm mostly just hoping to finish.

Quote:
(And do they make running bras for lopsided mamas? wow do I need one of those.)
I'm just so glad they make bras for the boobs I've ended up with for the time being. I love my enell bra and its absolute no bounce but wish it wicked as well as the moving comfort ones.
#88 of 920 Old 06-02-2006, 10:11 PM

Ladies, guess what happened to me tonight? I stopped by the house before going to get DD and there was a thunderstorm. The storm fried our computer!!!!!!! It tries to start, and then just dies out before anything happens. The only weird part is, at first it would only try for 3-5 seconds, now it is trying for maybe 10-12 or 15, but it still dies and doesn't do anything. I just hope we can salvage what's on the hard drive.

It is ~5-6 years old and we were thinking of getting a new one fairly soon, but not just yet. We are at my office researching laptops, though. Maybe I should change my most prized possession to my computer, because I am already in serious withdrawal and it's only been 4 hours.

Mamas, I just have to laugh. If we didn't have bad luck right now we wouldn't have any luck at all.

Anyway, the race tomorrow is right downtown where I work, so I might come up to my office afterwards... but if y'all don't hear from me until Monday, you know why.

Oh, and Plady, EAP is Employee Assistance Program... they give you 3 free counseling visits to work out problems... it's a program through my work.

#89 of 920 Old 06-02-2006, 10:13 PM

Shoooo-eee, can't keep up with y'all.

kerc- big hugs for your sis, and you. I hope things work out. I agree she should bug her insurance co repeatedly about the mistake. And...not to minimize her HPV, but lots of women become infected and nothing happens. Good thoughts her way.

eksmom...sorry about your run...but I agree with a PP who said that your next run will probably feel great. I wish they all felt great, but I slog through the crappy ones, figuring that statistically speaking, the day after a crappy run has to be pretty good, if not REALLY good.

Oh - and I am (or at least claim to be) a medical/health writer...right now i work for a large health insurance company, writing pieces for their various websites geared toward helping their members make better choices to optimize their health, or some such dreck. I freelance in my spare (HA!) time, and fantasize about NaNoWriMo when I should be typing up stuff about root canals or asthma. I used to work at NIH and they hooked me up with this speaking gig in Albany. I'm probably not worthy....I have friends who've written books and edited major science mags, and here I am being a flack for an insurance company, telling people all about science writing? But Stephen Jay Gould is dead so I guess it's up to me.

Oh, but you want to know about RUNNING....

I woke up with some nasty intestinal virus thing this morning (thank g*d for Imodium). I slept in, I napped, I still feel terrible. I hope to run 2 miles tomorrow but we'll see how it goes.

B1, I bought a case of Gatorade at Costco today and didn't feel like a poser at all, lol. I drank it through both of my labors, fergoshsakes, and I may just go have one now, since I've not been able to eat very much all day and am tandeming my sweet little darlings still. (The older one only nurses to sleep, but the girl gets a day's worth of milk out of there at night, I swear.)

'kay, enough from me. Next!

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#90 of 920 Old 06-02-2006, 10:55 PM

Hi guys.

Well, my energy and non-nauseated state pooped out and my wog that I planned after nap time didn't happen. But I did put the little darlings/exhausted screaming hellions : into the burley and biked to do our food shopping. They are heavy these days, and so were all the groceries. I think I got a decent workout. Mr Dingo didn't have a single thing in the house except a piece of meunster cheese and some olives Can you imagine?

Do you know what is worse than exhuasted screaming hellions? HUNGRY exhausted screaming hellions. Oy.

Kerc, your sister is having everything come down on her all at once. The bad thing about that is that it is so much to handle, the good is that at some point it will be over and she will start to have better things happen. I am thinking of her and wishing her the support she needs to hang in there until things get better

EK's Mama, yikes about your 'puter. I would have to put my computer up there as one of my favorite possessions. When the girls dumped tea onto/into it and I was sure that it was hosed I was sooooo sad. You can try to pull the hard drive and get some info off of the hosed computer if you have important stuff that you want to try to rescue. Good luck. I have a run like you just described every year or two. You just have to give in to it and let it take you, just like you did. That is the ultimate in your body communicating to you. It will be better. And that is good news about the grade of your Mama's tumor. I hope the rest of the news is as favorable and that you guys get lots of answers soon.

Nancy, sorry about the bug, my littlest daughter had a GI thing this past week and it made my heart break. I hope you feel better soon.

B1 I hope the ankle feels better. I blew out my ankle on my first run postpartum after having dd2 and was soooo sad. What helped my kids last through my runs was ending up at the park after. They were able to suffer the run when they knew they would have fun soon. And the snacks are key.

Hi Patti, hope you have some great wogs this weekend. It is so nice to hear from you.

Reb, I love your gnome's advice. He is a very good sport

LoftMama, I loved my Nancy Drew books too have you read the book recently that came out as a spoof on Nancy Drew? It was supposed to be wickedly funny.

Plady, I hope they figured out what is going on with your DH and that it is easily treated. And I am so glad he can stay with you and not have to go back to MIL. Just think Plady, it is June and you have made it through half of this year. This next half will go faster Mama and I hope your running will give you something to be excited and happy about in your day to day

Hi Pumkin

Monica, I am so excited for you girl. I can't wait to hear how you your race tomorrow.

OK guys, I better go, Mr. Dingo is cutting the yummy watermelon I got today (told you it was a heavy bike ride home ) and I can't wait.

ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page