It's June and humid get running and racing mamas!! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 920 Old 06-03-2006, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti Ann
kate, grnmtn-maybe I can come and watch the philly run, but no racing it for me. Maybe one day.
what? you're not going to run the philly distance run 8+ months pregnant!?!?!? that would be awesome if you would come watch - i think we might have a fairly large dingo representation!

:CONGRATULATIONS MONIKITA! :
#122 of 920 Old 06-03-2006, 08:21 PM

Hi Mamas,

Woohoo : I knew you would totally this marathon. Enjoy the wonderful afterglow Mama. Isn't it amazing how you feel like you can do anything after you run a marathon?

2Babybees, I am jealous of your Shantiquilt. I bet it is lovely. Have fun going through your prerace rituals Mama. I am excited for you.

BBM, doesn't it put things in perspective to see what people go through with such grace? I have similar flashes of perspective when I take my little DD to children's hospital for her checkups and ultrsounds. Good for you for the long walk. That sounds awesome Mama

Saskia's Mama, you have a lot going on woman! I wish we were all closer to you and we could do this big running coop commune and give each other support and relief and of course, laughs and laughs Hang in there Mama.

Patti, I am excited to wog with you! Though my wog might be more of a woggle, which is what you get when you cross a wog and a waddle

Mandi, bring it on Woman, I need me a good swooon!

Hi Moonshine, what's new with you? I am glad you checked in!

jooj, I was just thinking of you today and how you were recovering. Woohoo that you are back on track. You guys are going to have so much fun this summer, And on the score of the trailer. That totally

Loftmama, I totally relate to the reading. I have read more books in the past few weeks than I have in the past 9 months and it feels so good. I will look up that title for you.

Shanti, that is awesome you got in a 3K. That is 3K better than me you have a lot going on in yor life too! Congratulate yourself on your run Mama, that is so great! Downgrate schmnowngrade I say!

Reb, you are absolutely the best, will you and your gnome marry me?

So I didn't get my wog on today either. But it was a busy day. I got up first thing and did a shift at the humane society for a spayathon. Then I booked it home and we rode our bikes to our farmer's market. It was hard work for me and I got a great workout. Then spent the rest of the day working on my little semi urban garden/yard. It was a perfect day. I have a seafood/roasted red pepper sauce on the stove simmering and some fettucine ready to cook once the girlies go to bed. Big Dingo ate shrimp, scallops, and clams with her dinner and I am so happy, usually she is picky as can be. I also made a big pitcher of rooibus peach iced tea. Yum. I feel like superwoman now that I am a bit less nauseated Woohoo!

Good luck to tomorrow's racers,

ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

#123 of 920 Old 06-03-2006, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...h_IMG_1172.jpg

There is a link to 2babybees Shantiquilt. It was fun to make. I have enough flannel left over to make another - I should get started on that but I am pretty : : this weekend. Maybe quilting would help.

So how do I make a link that just says a word or phrase for you guys to click on instead of that computer gobbldegook I've got above?
#124 of 920 Old 06-03-2006, 08:36 PM

WAY TO GO MONIKITA!!!!!!!!

WE ARE SO PROUD OF YOU!!!!!! I can't wait to hear your report!! Way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I second what creb said: "ICE BATH

How did our other racers do?? Feeling okay?? have fun??
#125 of 920 Old 06-03-2006, 08:41 PM

Shanti it is gorgeous!

To make a word to click on just type the word then highlight it with the mouse and then click on the "link" icon. The little box will pop up like usual to put the url in but then when the post is made, the word that you highlighted will be what you click on.

I hope your mood lifts Mama

ND

#126 of 920 Old 06-03-2006, 08:55 PM

Thanks ND Any chance you could pop up here tonight for a late night pot of tea? I don't think this yuckiness I am going through is going to lift easily or any time soon. My kids just told me I am the meanest mom in the world and I think they might be right - I have no patience or creativity with them this week. I just want them to go to sleep.
#127 of 920 Old 06-03-2006, 09:00 PM

Congrats Monikita! You must feel like a goddess!

Ankle is mostly better today, but I didn't want to push it. Swim tomorrow, and hopefully run on Monday...
#128 of 920 Old 06-03-2006, 09:56 PM

WAY TO GO MONIKITA!!! YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!!

Report, report, please!

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#129 of 920 Old 06-03-2006, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Reb, you are absolutely the best, will you and your gnome marry me?
: Yep. That means I get free veterinary care for my dogs, then, right? And I get to move back to Madison?
#130 of 920 Old 06-03-2006, 10:14 PM

WTG MONIKITA!!!! You ! I hope you are recovering nicely right about now.

Good luck to the racers tomorrow... I'll be thinking about y'all. I am going through serious withdrawal without my 'puter... I suspect that before the end of the day on Monday I will have placed the order for a new one. Right now I'm at my mom and dad's on dialup... :

My race today was outright sucky. The only reason I finished was so I could wear the t-shirt without feeling like a complete loser every time I looked at it. I think I don't recommend racing three weeks in a row, and I think I don't recommend racing when you have just started antibiotics for a sinus infection. I am kind of irritated with myself for my performance, which was about 4 minutes more than what I was shooting for and what should have been pretty realistic given last week's 5K. Now I don't know whether last week was a fluke, or today was. :

I'm planning to get up and go for 7 in the morning before church. I hope I can find the joy in running again.

I miss y'all and can't wait to properly catch up on Monday!!

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#131 of 920 Old 06-03-2006, 10:29 PM

Yes Reb, and I even treat gnomes

ND

#132 of 920 Old 06-03-2006, 10:37 PM

Oh Shanti I would love to come for some tea. What your kids don't realize is that you being "mean" is so healthy and good for them and will make them into healthy happy adults. Being a parent is so hard and you are an awesome Mama
ND

#133 of 920 Old 06-03-2006, 10:38 PM

OMG, ND!!!!! I've been searching all over for a medical professional who would perform my gnome's vasectomy!!!!!! He's such a nympho!!
#134 of 920 Old 06-03-2006, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRebRun
OMG, ND!!!!! I've been searching all over for a medical professional who would perform my gnome's vasectomy!!!!!! He's such a nympho!!
#135 of 920 Old 06-03-2006, 11:17 PM

would that be a gnomectomy?

Shantimama - that quilt is stunning! My dd would over the purples (her absolute favorite color). I am so impressed with your talent. Was that a full size quilt or like a lap quilt?

eksmom - I would vote for today being the fluke. You have too many factors making it hard for your body to work efficiently...three races in a row (I'm guessing you peaked last week), illness...etc. Go easy on yourself. Not every race is a pr...but it means you have that much more in you for the next race. If you take a week or two off from racing the next race would likely be lightening fast!

I have a wog planned for early tomorrow, then church, and then we're going to the strawberry festival (mmmm...and did I mention my strawberries are coming in my garden?)
#136 of 920 Old 06-03-2006, 11:29 PM

BBM ~ MMM... strawberries!

Reb ~

eksmom ~ I agree with BBM, you probably peaked last week. Get yourself some rest and go get 'em again in a few weeks.

B1 ~ Glad the ankle is feeling better. Have a good swim tomorrow!

Shanti ~ Your purple quilt is beautiful! What amazing work you do.

ND ~ Can I come over for dinner? Yum!!

Monikita ~ How's the recovery?

Yesterday was my scheduled day off, and I had those two babysitting jobs lined up back to back. The twins had to cancel because their mama had the flu. I was kind of bummed about it, but I got to spend Friday night watching a movie with DH while eating pizza.

I ran 2 miles this evening, and all I could think about was "How in the world do people run 26.2?!?!" :

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#137 of 920 Old 06-04-2006, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantimama
I have no patience or creativity with them this week. I just want them to go to sleep.
Shanti, I think we are living parallel lives, between the pms and this! Oy

ND - I wish we had a running co-op too. Glad you're back to feeling like

BBM - purple for my dd too. We just painted her room a lovely periwinkle...

So I reeaallly want to call one of my neighbors who have dd's my dd's age and ask if she can play there in the morning so I can run outside with just the single jogger, but alas, I dont have the cajones. Will head for the gym to bike and run, and then swimming with the kids cause its gonna be friggin 96 tomorrow : The other thing; I seriously have worse acne than I think Ive ever had in my life. OMG! I dont want to leave the house! : Fertility meds RULE!

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#138 of 920 Old 06-04-2006, 01:09 AM

WAY TO GO LADIES!!

: : :

well done racers! can't wait to hear the report, monikita!

i just got back from a birth blessing for an mdc mama [chiromama] - it was awesome and i almost have baby fever now...almost

i also got to meet adina's newborn babe! what a sweeetie ...really, i mean almost have the fevah

back to packing

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#139 of 920 Old 06-04-2006, 10:36 AM

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...t/IMG_1186.jpg

My three little monkeys snuggling under quilts this morning. Sigh. It's a good thing they are so cute.

bbm - it is a lap quilt, but almost big enough for a twin bed, I think. I LOVE working with different colours.

creb, 1jooj and ND - would you guys please stop? I am coming to WI on November, and you three are making me wish the summer away so I can come and meet you all!

I want to try and finish at least one quilt before I leave on Thursday. I have a few that are well on their way. Multi-tasking at its worst:
#140 of 920 Old 06-04-2006, 11:01 AM

Monica, I hope you felt the 8 mi I ran with you. And the ladies are right--ICE BATH!!

Shanti, we're looking forward to that visit too.

Hope everyone's having a great weekend!
#141 of 920 Old 06-04-2006, 12:14 PM

So that wog I had planned? Well it didn't happen. One of the neighbors down the street decided to have a party. I don't know why I didn't call the police...I eventually had to. At 3am...I hear this knocking on a glass door (two houses down)...and then "I gotta gun and I'm fu##ed up, let me in." So then I have to call the cops and I'm all jazzed and awake...So I'm pretty wasted today. We did go to church...it was a really nice service, we did a lot of singing. Now we're on our way to the strawberry festival.
#142 of 920 Old 06-04-2006, 12:28 PM

Race Morning

I was pretty much awake from 2:30 am on due to nerves. DH tried to rub my back to help me fall back to sleep (it has always worked in the past) but no go. I got up at 5:00, shaved the pits, put on sports shield, sunscreen and my running clothes. I forced down a bowl of oatmeal, which was really hard. After finishing it I felt like I was going to puke, but I wouldn’t let myself because I knew I needed the fuel and there is no way I could force down another bowl!

My brother arrived at 6:00 with little dog Kasha to take me to the start. We hung out on the grass near the start for a while until I figured out that the HUGE hoard of people in front of the porta potties was actually a line. At that point I got in line. I finally got to use the facilities about 10 minutes after the start, but I knew it didn’t really matter because it was a chip timed race anyway. No worries!

The Race

It was a beautiful morning, and a cool 62 degrees at the start. The sun had just come up over the mountains and everything was really green and lovely. I didn’t get caught up by all the people zooming past me, but kept on at an easy pace (and in the end, I passed a bunch of them!) The first several miles were a breeze.

The temp started warming up, and I realized I wasn’t getting quite enough water at the aid stations. Some of the cups were only filled half full. The aid stations were also farther apart then what the map said they were. If I would have known that, I would have carried water like I did in my training runs!

I ran into problems right around mile 10. I realized I was having trouble with my vision, and the spots started getting worse. F#CK! I couldn’t believe it was happening so soon in the race. I hadn’t had this problem in over a month, and had been running much longer distances. I also felt that old “salad shooter” tickle, but right when I did I happen to be passing a construction site that had 2 porta potties. I shot across the street (just me, not the salad, or oatmeal in my case) and was able to go without a line. Yay!

Got back on the road fairly quickly. I started praying that the vision problems (ocular migraine) would pass and I would get through it and be able to keep running. I knew right then I had a choice. I was willing to let go of the problem, and I did. I kept saying affirmations over and over in time with my steps, like a marine cadence or something. “My body is healthy and whole in every way.” and “I have faith in the capabilities of my strong and healthy body.” I did this for miles and miles, over and over again.

It worked! The vision problems passed and my stomach settled down a bit. I still had ongoing nausea, but I did my best to ignore it. It was hot. I started taking multiple glasses at the aid stations, and eating a whole GU instead of only half. That helped. By mile 15 I was feeling good. That was when I passed DH and DD for the first time. It was so great to see them!

I saw a fire truck (first response) come hauling down the race course and thought “Oh crap.” By the time I was up to where they stopped there were about 8 EMTs surrounding a middle aged man on the ground. My guess is he had a heart attack. He already had tubes going into him all over the place. That image is still in my head. I hope he is okay. I hope he didn’t die. I cried about that after the race, wondering if he is okay.

The next aid station was out of water. WHAT?!?! So I had to run about 4 miles without any fluid. I thought “Oh f#cking well, make the best of it.” and just kept going.

Around mile 17 I passed my brother and his partner, and of course, their little dog Kasha. They were yelling and cheering me on, and it felt great. From here on out, the race was wonderful. We were finally running back towards the city along a tree lined street, so there was a little shade. A lot of residents were out and would turn their hose on you as you passed. God bless those people. I thanked them and told them I loved them. It made all the difference, because it was so damn hot. All the people sitting out on their front lines, and cheering everybody on were amazing. I said hello, and thank you, and gave little kids lined up along the street high fives.

At mile 20 I passed DH and DD again. I slowed down and talked to them briefly. DD was eating a big cookie that someone had given her. Later DH told me that she was helping the volunteers pick up all the cups out of the street. How cute!! I felt awesome and knew I was going to finish. I picked up the pace. I thought of you guys, and enjoying it, and leaving it all out there. I ran the remainder of the race sub 10 minute miles, right around a 9:30-9:40 pace. This is where I passed a BUNCH of people that had passed me at the beginning.

I cheered on some of my fellow runners. Comments I loved were “You must have done this before.” and “You look so fresh!” (said in disbelief). I think the last mile was the fastest I ran in the whole race. The crappy thing was, I had to run over cobblestones at the end and my stability was pretty much toast. (That happens after running 26 miles.) I almost turned my ankle on a manhole, but held it together and finished.

I still don’t have my chip time and I was so elated I forgot to stop my clock. When I finally did, it was at 4:57:47, so I think I was right around a 4:57 finish. I gave the race everything I had, and then some. I couldn’t have run it any faster, or any stronger. I was so happy to finish! I met both of my goals!!! I cried a bit, hugged DB and his DP, kissed my baby girl and was ready to go home. It’s funny, but I pounded in that last half mile at pretty much a sprint, with no trouble, but then after I stopped walking I could hardly walk. Weird how that works.

The Recovery

I was okay when I got home. I took a shower, drank some Gatorade and lay down on the couch to try and rest. That is when everything came undone. I think I had heat exhaustion, or maybe it was a combo of the heat and running a marathon. But I think it was mostly because of the heat.

I was so nauseous I couldn’t eat. I also felt like I was going to faint. I had the worst case of the spins I have ever had (and I admit, I was a party girl in my early 20’s and had a lot of drunken spins!). I felt so sick I thought I was going to die. It wasn’t dehydration, because I was peeing a lot and my urine was pale. I kept up the fluid through feeling like death on a stick. I had a pounding headache (which has diminished, but hasn’t completely gone away yet) and was extremely sensitive to light. I finally curled up on the couch in the basement, where it was very cool and dark. The sickness passed after about 4 or 5 hours, and then I was okay.

I’m still recovering. My appetite is about half of what it should be, but I see that as a good thing. Maybe I’ll lose some weight! I still have some pretty serious diarrhea (more like my butt exploding than anything, TMI, I know.) and my hemorrhoids did NOT like running a marathon. (Saskia’s mom – Do you still have trouble with the rhoids? Mine have mostly settled down, but I have problems with them after long runs.)

I have a couple of blisters and one seriously misshapen and sore baby toe. I don’t think my legs have ever been this sore in my life.

But, it is ALL GOOD! I ran a marathon! I did it. I’m a different person now. I’m someone who has run a marathon. It was totally worth it. I may never do it again, but it was worth it. I’ll post my chip time as soon as it is up on the marathon website.

I’m going to take a month off running and let my body totally recover. I’ll be focusing on yoga, lifting weights and riding my bike a little. I want to run for life and I don’t want to risk a stress fracture or any other injury. I’m also a little burned out. I might do a half in August, but we’ll see if I have the desire when the time comes. I must admit, I really don’t like racing. My practice runs are always better. I get too nervous and anxious about races and don’t enjoy them as much as when I’m just running by myself, and for myself. KWIM?

Peace out, y’all! Thanks for being by my side for this adventure. I love you all. A special thanks to Reb and Jooj, for being my inspiration and motivation. Without hearing about their journey, I never would have done this.

Oh, and there are a couple of pics on the blog.

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#143 of 920 Old 06-04-2006, 02:04 PM

Monikita - : What a great story! I hope you are feeling better. Take that Shantiquilt of yours down to the basement and have a good long nap today.
#144 of 920 Old 06-04-2006, 02:48 PM

Got my time!

4:57:14

I came in 87th out of 128 for my women's age group (30-34).

I'm happy.

#145 of 920 Old 06-04-2006, 03:14 PM

Monica, what a great race report. Thanks so much. You had a great run yesterday. When I did Mrs T's triathlon in Chicago a man died of a heart attack during transition in the bike corral. It was really unsettling and I think about him now and then I try to imagine that at least he went out doing something he loved and hopefully was realizing a dream....

Shanti, your kids are gorgeous. They look like little angels snuggled under their quilts I can't wait to meet you in November too. Do you realize it will be days before my due date

Ek's Mama, races like that happen to remind us that our bodies have powerful voices and that our bodies do hard hard work. It will respond to you and recover and you will be even stronger than you have been in previous runs/races.

BBM, : about the dude with the gun. I would have been freaked too. I am so excited for strawberry season. Gonna go look up when we will start picking around here!

Saskia's Mama, I wish I was your neighbor. Does she run or work out? That would be cool if she did, it would make it easier to do trades..... And 96 degrees? All I can say is Oy.

Jen Love, your date with DH sounds lovely!

Poppy, you sure do get to hobnob with some famous MDC ladies watch out for that baby fever

So my excitement today is that I finally wogged : : I did about 2.5miles and the first half was a straight up jog, the second half was a wog. There is a very local 5K on saturday and am thinking about wogging it..... My run was cool because I ran along the lake and the big lake carp were spawning. In some places they were flipping themselves up on the rocks and twisting together in the air. It was really cool. After my run I took big little dingo for a bike ride and we found one of those orange and yellow plastic kid cars (do you know what I mean, the ones where the toddler climbs inside and pushes it around with their feet?) We brought it home for littler dingo and she was so excited. It has obviously been living outside for a long time and needs to be cleaned. Once that is done I might have to art-ify it by painting it and doing some mosaic on the roof. The kids keep calling it their fun mobile which reminds me of the evil clown's car in "Walter the farting Dog".

Gonna garden some more this afternoon, I can't wait to get out there. Mr D is gonna make BBQ this evening and I am making my thai cucumber salad to go with it. Yummmmm..

Take care, ND

#146 of 920 Old 06-04-2006, 03:26 PM

ND - how about that recipe for thai cucumber salad...i have about 6 cucumber plant coming up in the garden.

congrats Monica! that's so excellent.

anyone have any recommendations for a family vacation? my parents, K and I want to go away at the end of July. We're looking for something on the water (could be beach or lake), toddler friendly, with some sort of beach. preferably east coast. someplace we can rent a house or condo on the water. any tips?
#147 of 920 Old 06-04-2006, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmtnmama
anyone have any recommendations for a family vacation? my parents, K and I want to go away at the end of July. We're looking for something on the water (could be beach or lake), toddler friendly, with some sort of beach. preferably east coast. someplace we can rent a house or condo on the water. any tips?
Outer Banks? We usually go every year and it is a great family spot. We're going to Hawaii instead this year, but we'll be back to the banks next year.

#148 of 920 Old 06-04-2006, 03:42 PM

Congratulations MONIKITA!!!! you did it!!!

your report sounds like you might have had a little hyponatremia - I don't have time to look up the symptoms, but the nausea, inability to keep anything down sounds like dhs bouts of hyponatremia (and w/o enough salt you just pee out all of the water you take in).

ok, my race (ds starting to fuss- not enough time for a report): 27:55 (9:00s) on my watch, 28:27 (9:10s) on the official time. pouring rain, high 50s. 117/327 for age group (far cry from 2nd place!). a rough day for dh to have the kids spectating, a great day to run though...gotta run.

kathy
#149 of 920 Old 06-04-2006, 03:56 PM

Monica, you ROCK! Congrats on the great race!!

I can't remember who asked....but I live in NW Vermont. Albany is about 4 hrs away.

DD1 and I met Alton Brown yesterday!! He was very nice and DD actually spoke to him, which I didn't expect. (She didn't say a darn thing about cooking OR his show, but at least she spoke to him.)

I am all signed up for the Philly Distance Run...and both kids are napping (which never happens) so I better get out and run a couple in the buggy humid mess that is Vermont on a Sunday afternoon.

Nancy

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#150 of 920 Old 06-04-2006, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpinny
your report sounds like you might have had a little hyponatremia - I don't have time to look up the symptoms, but the nausea, inability to keep anything down sounds like dhs bouts of hyponatremia (and w/o enough salt you just pee out all of the water you take in).
Ooooh, I think you're right. I just googled it, and read that if you correct the problem too quickly, it can be really hard on your body. I also read that taking ibuprofen can make it worse.. and all of the trouble started when I took 4 advil and started pounding the gatorade. It all makes sense now.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page