August Runners.... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 1086 Old 08-01-2006, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinseed
...any other ideas for occupying a 21 month old when it is impossible to go outside???:
Public library?

Get a large towel, spread it out on the kitchen floor. then get a large tub -- pot, rubbermaid container, whatever. Fill it with water. allow child to play until soaking wet. (towel's required so floor doesn't get slippery).

Make a pot of pasta, let it cool off enough to handle, then let toddler play with it (again on the floor).

If you want to get really crazy....let your kids play in your purse!

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#62 of 1086 Old 08-01-2006, 01:46 PM

We are going to the library on Wed and Thurs.
I love the pasta idea!!! I have done the rubbermaid thing outside but never inside-she would love it thanks for the great ideas, kerc
#63 of 1086 Old 08-01-2006, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinseed
We are going to the library on Wed and Thurs.
I love the pasta idea!!! I have done the rubbermaid thing outside but never inside-she would love it thanks for the great ideas, kerc
even crazier: add ice cubes to the water. she's not sitting in it so it won't matter so much that its cold.

#64 of 1086 Old 08-01-2006, 04:15 PM

Ugh-so hot. I have my almost 5 year old cousin staying with us for a few days and I just took all three of them to the library. We went for a nice long walk this morning, stopping by the elem. school playground for a while. They didn't sleep well last night b/c they were excited and now they're irritable from the heat. Tonight they're all getting cold baths and going to bed at 7:00. Hey, it could happen, right?

Oh yeah, I locked us all out of the house today in the blazing heat and had to just sit there waiting for dh to come rescue us. Then when he got home, he went to unlock the door and realized it wasn't shut all the way and he just pushed it right open. :

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#65 of 1086 Old 08-01-2006, 04:27 PM

someone's been busy......................
<--------------- and since I am so close with y'all, I can tell you, it's not just any old Gnome, it is the magnificent one that you see now and then in Garden mooning everyone

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

#66 of 1086 Old 08-01-2006, 04:32 PM

Hi guys-(sort of running related since I was stung while running )remember I told you guys that I was stung by a wasp (again) this weekend? Well-ever since about 24 hours after-and still today-I am getting a numbness/tingling pain radiating down my left arm from my shoulder down to my hand-I was stung on my left shoulder blade. I am thinking I should probably call a dr-but what kind would you call??? I don't have a primary care, but I guess I could find one-haven't had luck in the past. What do you think?
#67 of 1086 Old 08-01-2006, 04:34 PM

Pumpkinseed-does your health insurance have a nurse on-call service? If it does, you could try calling there and asking where to go. I hope it feels better soon. You're not allergic, are you?

#68 of 1086 Old 08-01-2006, 04:37 PM

that is a good question and a great idea, HBM-I bet they do-I will look it up The only other time I was stung by a wasp was a few weeks ago-so I don't know if I am allergic-clearly nothing severe as I am still here 3 days later! I am allergic to insect bites...
#69 of 1086 Old 08-01-2006, 04:41 PM

Keep us updated. That sounds kind-of scary.

#70 of 1086 Old 08-01-2006, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

HBM you absolutely deserve a cold drink this evening. Either tell your dh or mamabeth to swing by starbucks or something and get you one. Put your feet up and put dh in charge of bedtime.

Pumpkinseed: how about an urgent care? Not a full-on emergency room, but you also don't need a pcp to see someone.

#71 of 1086 Old 08-01-2006, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc
HBM you absolutely deserve a cold drink this evening. Either tell your dh or mamabeth to swing by starbucks or something and get you one. Put your feet up and put dh in charge of bedtime.
Kerc, have I told you lately that I you? Darn, how I wish that cold drink could be a margarita!

#72 of 1086 Old 08-01-2006, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy
Kerc, have I told you lately that I you? Darn, how I wish that cold drink could be a margarita!

#73 of 1086 Old 08-01-2006, 05:25 PM

Ladies, celebrate with me. I am finishing up a pumping session, and it looks like I'm going home with 12 oz tonight.

Maybe I'll celebrate with a run.
#74 of 1086 Old 08-01-2006, 05:40 PM

go, geo; go geo!

I ran "commando" at the gym today. All I could think of was Ned on the simpsons in his skin-tight skiing costume shaking his booty at Homer saying that it was "like wearing nothing at all" anyway the shorts felt great with just the built-in panty...
#75 of 1086 Old 08-01-2006, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Geo. I just posted the review sheet for my final, called my advisor and maybe have a lead on a short-term job.

#76 of 1086 Old 08-01-2006, 05:48 PM

Home. Rode bike. Can it be any freakin' hotter?

Go Geo!!

Kerc!

Pumpkinseed I hope everything is OK! Urgent care sounds like a good plan to me.

Chelsea I was gonna say that I use the built-in panty too. Sometimes I run in shorts that don't have those and THEN I wear undies. Now, running tights, bike shorts, that type of thing... no undies. Apparently in the cycling world that is a real faux pas.

Must go get child and buy yarn on sale w/ coupon (acrylic soaker for some vegan friends who are expecting). Later mamas!

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#77 of 1086 Old 08-01-2006, 05:50 PM

Hey pumpkinseed, maybe the shooting pain is coming from inflammation in your shoulder where the bite is. Is there a lot of swelling? If you haven't already, I'd ice the area around the bite and take some benadryl.

I bonked on my run this am. Just ran out of steam about 2.5 or so miles, and then about 5 minutes after I had switched to walking, my chest got really tight and I felt like I was having a hard time breathing. I have very mild exercise induced asthma, but generally only with cold weather. Fortunately, it went away, because when I got home I couldn't find my inhaler anywhere. It wasn't that hot out, but was really humid for us, and I've been drinking way too much coffee.

But I had a great run last Friday - ran 4 which is the longest I've ever run, and felt strong at the finish.

Kerc - great ideas of things to do with the kiddos. They love playing with water, and I can just see the mess they'll make with spaghetti!

Way to go Geofizz on the pumping!

I've been enjoying all the dddc's!
#78 of 1086 Old 08-01-2006, 05:54 PM

(eta: re-posting from the old thread since i'm already days behind...)

ok, i'm just jumping in here quickly. nak among lots of unpacked boxes. have only read the last few pages, and...

chelsea and elizabeth, YOU ARE AWESOME!!! WOW! GREAT JOB, LADIES!!!!

I'M SO PROUD OF YOU BOTH!! IT AIN'T EASY!!

Now, 2BBs, would you mind posting the distances??? thiose times look really fast!

plady, your mom is getting on my nerves, ok, and i like her! what's up with her? glad you got your place back to yourself. is dh home yet??

eksmom, i have 3 things to say to you:

1) i love LOVE your new sig.

2) it doesn't matter what you say about ek. i love her. dane loves her. she loves dane. she can do no wrong, you got that? i've got ek matched up with my dane and plady's dd matched up with my gray. i already love them.

and 3) in your letter (great letter, btw) to the gym lady, you used the word "ginormous." just wondering if you picked that up from my little family, since i've never heard it before my ds1 made it up one day when trying to describe how big something was. we liked it so much we use it often. just wondering, since i've never known anyone else to use it. great word!

and everyone! i'm running here and there. no race in store yet, but hopefully this fall...

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#79 of 1086 Old 08-01-2006, 06:04 PM

Yay! Hi Loftmama!! Thanks on the sig. I saw it on a bicycling forum I lurk on and liked it a lot... I need to remind myself of that sentiment sometimes. Re: "ginormous"... I think I saw it on the internet somewhere, like somebody's blog or something (could it have been yours?). It's just so descriptive.

And I have to say I feel the same way about Dane. So, hmm, maybe on days when EK is looking like a good sale I should just threaten to pack her up and send her to Texas on the next train? Then when you are having a time with Dane, you can send him to Southwest Virginia! I'm sure the two of them would love that.

It's good to "see" you... good luck with the unpacking!

Now I really gotta go!

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#80 of 1086 Old 08-01-2006, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftmama

Now, 2BBs, would you mind posting the distances??? thiose times look really fast!
400yd swim/12 mile bike/5k run
#81 of 1086 Old 08-01-2006, 06:30 PM

I guess it makes me feel a little better that not just MY dh is an a$$ sometimes...it just sucks how he can go from being so nice to such a jerk in like 10 seconds. Anyway...

I biked to and from work, must have been at least 10 minutes total bike time! Had a good day, lots of work loaded on my shoulders, and it's FUN STUFF. Woo-hoo! Weird, though--I got home and I think a gnome left a message on my machine. Weird.

And now dh is being the most exquisite anus. Like, leaving the 2yo here crying with me because she wanted to go along to karate but wanted her teeth brushed first and it was just too much trouble for him to give her teeth a quick brushing after he did his own. wtf? I brushed them for her and stopped him--already backing out of the driveway with a nasty look on his face. : Why? I swear, I am sending him to his work picnic alone this weekend.

Sorry to be such a downer. It just really has me disappointed.
#82 of 1086 Old 08-01-2006, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2babybees
wowwowowowowowow

when i did my sprint tri, my time was so much longer.

1/2 mile swim - 22 min.

12 mile bike - an hour

5K - about 33 min: hilly, grassy, dry, rough terrain.

so i guess your swim was about half the distance. half my time would be 11 minutes. you really are a fast swimmer. what is the olympic distance??

1jooj, sorry about dh. :

okay, i've procrastinated long enough. must unpack one more box!

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#83 of 1086 Old 08-01-2006, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj
And now dh is being the most exquisite anus.
Your dh should join MDC just so we can DDDDC him with this!

#84 of 1086 Old 08-01-2006, 06:48 PM

Quote:
you used the word "ginormous." just wondering if you picked that up from my little family, since i've never heard it before my ds1 made it up one day when trying to describe how big something was. we liked it so much we use it often. just wondering, since i've never known anyone else to use it. great word!
hey lofty - welcome home! that must have been some vacation! anyway, just popping in to see if you have ever seen the movie ELF with will ferrell? [a few years old, i think] he says in it 'have you seen the toilets? they're GINORMOUS!' - it's a cute movie, your ds1 would probably get a kick out of hearing him say it!

here's to the mighty mighty pumpin geo!
:

dang, it's hot y'all. i'm wilting.

more later

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#85 of 1086 Old 08-01-2006, 06:49 PM

Quote:
wowwowowowowowow

when i did my sprint tri, my time was so much longer.

1/2 mile swim - 22 min.

12 mile bike - an hour

5K - about 33 min: hilly, grassy, dry, rough terrain.

so i guess your swim was about half the distance. half my time would be 11 minutes. you really are a fast swimmer. what is the olympic distance??
I was a competitive swimmer in jr high, some in college, freestyle and anchor for the relay. I was a swimmer long before any sport. Just hadn't been in the pool in 5+ years before this training.

Sprint distances can vary from what I understand. The olympic is always the same: swim 1.25k(.9 miles) bike 40k (~25 miles) run 10k
The bike is what scares me. Especially then having to run a 10k after it. My goal is to just keep going. Mental over physical.
#86 of 1086 Old 08-01-2006, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the fast 2babybees
Note that 2BB's time in the 5K was faster than mine and she swam and biked before that. (I am just mentioning this to applaud her, not complaining about my time, which I am proud enough of... )

Welcome back loftmama!
#87 of 1086 Old 08-01-2006, 08:21 PM

Hi Mamas,

Dana, welcome home Mama, we missed you around here

jooj, sorry about DH. It sounds like instead of just dealing with whatever his issue is, he prefers to act out to demonstrate his displeasure. Not the productive way of dealing. Sorry you have to deal with it in turn. Hope he apologizes soon.

Geo, oh noooooo about the bottle. Ugh, I often wonder what it would be like if we carried the babes but the men had to lactate. Just imagine..... Like that Gloria Steinem essay with lacation instead of menstruation.

Kerc, that's great about the job lead. Good luck

Pumpkinseed, how goes the sting? Did you talk to anyone? Have you taken benadryl yet to try to decrease the reaction?

Chelsea, goin' commando woman! Woohoo!

HBM, I so can relate to door locked fiascos like that : Ugh, hope everyone goes to bed nice and soon for you.

Shanti, how was your day today?

ChamaMama, my respiration gets really wierd in the humidity too. It's crazy.

I didn't run today, but did a ton of biking. We had an idyllic day today, biked with the kids to the coffee shop, the splash terrace at the Y, to the farm stand, and home again. It is over 100 with the heat index and though we all drank over 1.5L gatorade, I felt like it was a bit much. I kind of felt like i was pushing the limits of safety for my body It is hard to balance the need to take it easy in the heat with my desire to be active and to diminish dependence on my car!

Take care everyone and stay cool.

ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

#88 of 1086 Old 08-01-2006, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Public Service Announcement: Geofizz and I are not the same person. laughup (that's from my dd1).

#89 of 1086 Old 08-01-2006, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj
And now dh is being the most exquisite anus.
:

1jooj. they just suck sometimes don't they?

more from me later. must bathe small dirty male human.
#90 of 1086 Old 08-01-2006, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

2.1 mile walk in my pseudo-crocs. note to self: do not forget walking shoes on day I volunteer to walk to the pharmacy before busing it home.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page