August Runners.... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1086 Old 07-31-2006, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Inspiring awe or admiration; majestic: the august presence of the monarch.
Welcome to the August running thread!

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#2 of 1086 Old 07-31-2006, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Apologies to anyone who posted your goals over in July. I just think new week, new month = time for a new thread!

Welcome to anyone and everyone who is running, thinking about running, walking, wogging, whatever. This thread gets moving fast (like some of the runners here). Jump in where you can, don't feel like you always need to catch up!

#3 of 1086 Old 07-31-2006, 12:11 PM

BBM - marathon relay (5 mile leg) - September
CherylAnn and sisters - 5K - September 10
CherylAnn - 10K - September 16
kate~mom, nancy926, grnmtnmama, pumpkinseed, mr. pumpkinseed - Philly Distance Run (half) - September 17
Patti Ann & everyone else who would like to participate - Griffin Patrick 5K - September 24
cRebRun - Fox Cities Marathon - September 24
CherylAnn - bike century - September 30
DrJen - 5K - September 30
kpinny - half - September
lucenamama - half - October 1
Plady - half - October 1
Balancin1 - 5K - October 7
wawoof - RNR Half San Jose - October 8
CherylAnn - 5K - October 14(?)
mamabeth - half - October 22
annelizabeth - half - October 22
Geo & Janessa - 5K - October 28
kpinny - Marine Corps Marathon - October 29
Shantimama - half - October
Kerc - half - October
eksmom - Suntrust Richmond Marathon - November 11
Balancin1 - 8K - November 24

The Preggo Dingo List

HBM - September 6 - :
Patti Ann - October 12 - :
ND - December 5 -
BBM - December 30 - :

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#4 of 1086 Old 07-31-2006, 12:12 PM

My goals for the week:

Monday: cross train - ride bike to/from work - check!
Tuesday: 3 easy, possibly bike to work
Wednesday: 6
Thursday: 3 easy, possibly bike to work
Friday: rest
Saturday: 6 at marathon race pace
Sunday: 11

#5 of 1086 Old 07-31-2006, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

My weekend -- get ready, it's exciting:
saturday: bring dh's computer in to work. Dump contents to external 450 gig harddrive there. Reinstall operating system. Oh bring along family too just for fun.

sunday: clean out basement. Install shelving over my desk area. Move big old honking table out, replace with smaller table. Goal is to put sewing, knitting and everything else stuff on the shelves, leaving the table space to actually work.

GOALS for Kristin:
1. Get out of the house before 8am 4 days this week. (this is a problem for dissertation writing and needs to be solved ASAP, my best writing time is 7-10 am).

2. Walk or run 100 minutes this week.

3. Water drinking.

Thanks Reb for the dddc!

EKSmom -- can you post some recipes for cukes on your blog or something? WTG on deciding to switch plans. I always thought you were freaking nuts anyhow. I thought of you over the weekend when I was driving to the hardware store to buy shelf brackets -- in my defense, I thought it closed in 10 minutes when it actually closed in 70 minutes.

Geo: are your inlaws there or are you going to Indiana?

BBM: 5 miles. Holy smokes!

everyone else

#6 of 1086 Old 07-31-2006, 12:19 PM

subbing!

goal: find a 5k race to run, already...

stay cool everyone!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#7 of 1086 Old 07-31-2006, 12:40 PM

Ok, just posted my grumpy whine on the other thread, which is just as well. Starting over.
#8 of 1086 Old 07-31-2006, 12:42 PM

subbing... so swamped at work. But still crusing off yesterday's high!
#9 of 1086 Old 07-31-2006, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine
Ok, just posted my grumpy whine on the other thread, which is just as well. Starting over.
Sorry i forgot to comment on that one. My husband is the world's worst person for me to send to the store. He doesn't eat much fruit and I love love love fruit for snack. So....anyone want either a WAY overripe box of strawberries or a way underripe bag of peaches? I've got milk, I'll trade ya.

#10 of 1086 Old 07-31-2006, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Goals for this week.........

- walk every day, run as often as my lungs will allow

- keep looking for a good second hand bike

-finish quilt for dh and I

- yoga every day
#11 of 1086 Old 07-31-2006, 01:22 PM

subbing-

Tuesday~8 miles (strides?), yoga
Wednesday~Recovery 5 miles,yoga, pilates
Thursday~10 miles, yoga
Friday~pilates, yoga
Saturday~Recovery 4 miles,yoga
Sunday~15 miles (will be my longest run yet) yoga
#12 of 1086 Old 07-31-2006, 01:25 PM

subbing :

eks - i have the final 5K of the summer series on wednesday night - can you add me to the race list? it may turn out to be an untimed 3.1 mile group run if the heat is insane.
#13 of 1086 Old 07-31-2006, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc

Geo: are your inlaws there or are you going to Indiana?
Both: Phil's parents coming Wed night, going to IN for the weekend, MIL/FIL coming back nect Wed-Sat. I'll be working/running a lot.
#14 of 1086 Old 07-31-2006, 01:42 PM

Wendy~where in Indiana?
#15 of 1086 Old 07-31-2006, 02:19 PM

subbing : must go....maybe to use my very very last day of DSL at work waiting on an African to come pick up the rest of our stuff. but who knows. gotta love African time.
#16 of 1086 Old 07-31-2006, 02:28 PM

Katie, I added you.

Kerc, cuke recipes coming up on the blog. We are positively buried under squash and cukes right now and I am having to get creative.

Mamabeth, so sorry you can't take full advantage of the DSL on your last day!

Went out to lunch with DH - Indian food. Tomorrow I reclaim my health... get back to running, eating right. Gonna be a hot bike ride home this afternoon (heat index over 100?), but I gave DH all my "weight" - backpack with everything I don't need so that he can carry it home, not me. The only catch is that in order to be able to wear my sunglasses, I have to be able to transport my regular glasses in my (empty) water bottle, which means no water. Only 6ish miles though, so I should be OK.

#17 of 1086 Old 07-31-2006, 02:30 PM

I need to check in here for motivation! It's just so HOT out Dh just gave me his old ?MP3 player so hoping that helps keep me running instead of breaking into walks like usually happens.

Awesome thread
#18 of 1086 Old 07-31-2006, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom
The only catch is that in order to be able to wear my sunglasses, I have to be able to transport my regular glasses in my (empty) water bottle, which means no water. Only 6ish miles though, so I should be OK.
how tight's your bra? could you hook em on there and still have water?
room in your saddle bag? mine has a teeny bit of room once I get my spare tube and dodads to change tire in there.

squash: are we talking summer squash?

#19 of 1086 Old 07-31-2006, 03:16 PM

Just subbing.

Cut my run a mile short today--it was just too stuffy on the TM at the gym and my shoes were bugging me again! : My toes felt first like they were on fire then my left foot started feeling like I was landing on a stone under the ball of my foot again. WHat's up with that??? These are the new new shoes too. I'm bummed and confused.
Gotta run.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#20 of 1086 Old 07-31-2006, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Lady R-C
how tight's your bra? could you hook em on there and still have water?
room in your saddle bag? mine has a teeny bit of room once I get my spare tube and dodads to change tire in there.

squash: are we talking summer squash?
Bra could be tighter but it might work. Saddle bag is small and will be filled with keys and phone (I ditched the tire changing stuff today; 100 degrees is not when/how I'm gonna change my first flat. Phone will have to cover that today!). The glasses case won't fit in there anyway, so I'd only put my glasses in there if I could put keys and phone elsewhere.

I do have a second bottle cage that's normally unused, I could probably get a standard 20 oz. bottle of water or Gatorade and stick it in there. Duh.

I think I need a bigger wedge bag, I was trying to be conservative about weight but it's not realistic.

Yep, summer squash. Just posted recipes to my blog.

#21 of 1086 Old 07-31-2006, 03:36 PM

eks, how about you tape your glasses somewhere (helmet, bike?) before you go?

You'll LOOK stupid, but...at least you get water.

OK--just raised my voice. It was the only way to get the kids away from right behind my head. And I did it, really, as nicely as possible. Just louder than usual. We have a 1200 sq ft house, and they bring their toys to 3 feet from me (when I'm working at the computer) and argue about them there while I try to work. It's sooooooo infuriating.: There's a huge basement toyroom, a living room, three bedrooms, hallway, kitchen--and they're on top of me. Arguing.

They're gone now. I feel bad, but then...nah.
#22 of 1086 Old 07-31-2006, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj
OK--just raised my voice. It was the only way to get the kids away from right behind my head. And I did it, really, as nicely as possible. Just louder than usual. We have a 1200 sq ft house, and they bring their toys to 3 feet from me (when I'm working at the computer) and argue about them there while I try to work. It's sooooooo infuriating.: There's a huge basement toyroom, a living room, three bedrooms, hallway, kitchen--and they're on top of me. Arguing.

They're gone now. I feel bad, but then...nah.
Hmmm, yea, I get that. Or they decide to follow me where ever I go. : Even going to different floors. But of course not when I want them too. Now, why is that?
#23 of 1086 Old 07-31-2006, 03:43 PM

nak so no long post...

eks--packing tape or tie the case to your bike? do you have prescription sunglasses, and if so, can you tell me all about 'em? and the decision you made about changing training plans sounds right on to me!

thanks for all the support about the race. I am so pumped about running right now and wish I had both hands free to talk your ears off about it. y'all can thank my dd for sparing you
#24 of 1086 Old 07-31-2006, 03:44 PM

Lisa ~ Goshen. Sorry, not near you.

Off to find squash and cuke recipes. We're drowning as well, and only E and I seem to want to eat the squash.
#25 of 1086 Old 07-31-2006, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj
ok I was clearing out my sewing area yesterday -- dh was outside, playing with the hose and sprinkler on a hot day, and my dd was inside, right at my feet, asking me to play. I didn't raise my voice but suggested rather strongly that dh take the kiddos to the park for a while.

#26 of 1086 Old 07-31-2006, 04:06 PM

Hi guys,

Ek's Mama, how about using a chalk bag that climbers use? They are pretty deep and can cinch on top. You could slide glasses in there pretty safely. They are light and can hook to your pants or shirt.

2BBs and Chelsea, thanks for the reports. I loved reading about your fabulous days.

Plady, yikes about the shoes, what a bummer. Have you tried running with them tied really loosely? It almost sounds like the sole of the shoe isn't right, with the way they are feeling under your foot. I hope it gets better.

Shanti, you have a big week planned, but wonderful too. I hope you get the yoga time in and have some great creative moments.

I did a mile jog today (and then I got too hot ) my foot felt good and my sacrum feels like it is still attached to my spine LOL It was great to run for a bit. Tonight I get to go to yoga.

I took the kids food shopping in the burley today. They both brought their special babies.... and forgot them at the kid area there : bad mommy forgot to check for them before I loaded the kids up and went back out into the heat. Now it's naptime and 1) I am hoping they will sleep without their babies, and 2) that they are there when I go back before yoga tonight. Yikes.

ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

#27 of 1086 Old 07-31-2006, 05:13 PM

OK, I'm about to set off, Dasani water bottle in one cage, glorified glasses case (water bottle) in other cage. Heat index 100. I think I'm good. Y'all rock with all the creative suggestions.

Chelsea, I LOVE my prescription sunglasses. You might have noticed I almost never took them off the whole Dingo camping weekend. I don't know how I ever survived without them. They are polarized. Having to swap pairs back and forth is a minor annoyance but still better than giving myself a headache squinting all the time. Anything else you want to know, ask away.

Welcome HappyToBe!

Kristin, nice squash recipes... the stuffed one w/ pepperoni sounds like something my DH would over. Well, 'cause that's just how he feels about pepperoni.

#28 of 1086 Old 07-31-2006, 05:54 PM

GMM, are you and dh compatible bike riders? That would be fun! My dh likes to ride for leisure. I like to go as fast as I can! We'd probably end up getting competitive which would be a downward cycle for me because he's such a natural athlete. But, the concept is fun.

Moonshine, I like that kind of triathlon!!! Could we just replace the swim with some yoga?

Mamambeth, wtg on the "don't think" plan!

Ouch, RM! I would think that anything with calendula and lavender in it would aid healing.

1jooj, you must be the most amazing cook!! I would love to be able to come up with ideas like that!

Plady, I like your x-training plan!!

Geofizz, good luck while your IL's are visiting.

HBM, school shopping already? We don't go back until after Labor Day. Hope you got some good stuff!

Monikita, good thoughts being sent your way while the IL's are in town! I think it's great that your dd is making up her own signs!! We signed with ds and he was later to speak but just a hair. But, he's so reasonable. I think it's because he was able to communicate with us in SOME way before he could actually talk. It was a good trade-off. He's 4.5 now and can't remember a single sign! But, dh said that recently he asked for water and signed at the same time, so even if his mind doesn't remember, his body does.

Wow, Eksmom!! You were so productive!!! Sounds like you made the right decision about your training schedule.

pumpkinseed, I get irritated with my dh for seemingly small things like that, too. Then I feel bad. Then I have to try to justify myself. I hope you and dd have fun at the pool!

Moonshine I'm sorry your feeling so blue. I can feel myself slipping into a funk, too. I'm trying to remind myself (like 1jooj) that I don't have to say yes to everything. I'm also trying to figure out what is going on in my life that is bringing me down. It's my tendency to just blame it on the mood disorder, but in retrospect (like 2 years later) I can look back and see what triggered the down time. So, I'm spending some serious effort right now to figure it out instead of waiting until later. I don't know if that's anything like what you do. I just hope that you can keep your head above water.

eksmom, here are my events...

http://www.chelanchase.com/chase_info.html 5k in mid-october. They haven't updated their site yet...small town.

http://www.runlakechelan.com/ 10k September 16

http://www.irongirl.com/seattle/index-seattle.html 5k with my two sisters

http://www.mikeutley.org/biketour.html Century September 30

September is going to be a busy month!!!

Why does Kerc's name come up as Old Lady R-C when she is quoted?

ND, I'm glad your foot felt better today!

Goals:

Monday 35 min run
Tuesday 30 min run/walk
Wednesday 40 min hill run
Thursday 30 min run/walk
Friday 40 min run with emphasis on speed
Saturday Off but maybe a long bike ride
Sunday 55 min run

1) Drink 80+ oz. water
2) Eat 5+ servings of veg. or fruit daily
3) Drink less beer and wine
4) Ride my bike at least twice

My runs are starting to feel good!! Today was supposed to be 35 min, but I did my 3 mile loop in 29:45. It was still over 30 minutes because my driveway is so long and steep. I don't get how I can go from 12+ min miles to under 10 and back again and they all feel the same! Today is day one of my cycle which is normally a day when I feel like crap. I did when I woke up. Since that most excellent run, I've felt great!

I'm trying to change my form. I'm trying to hit the pavement 50 times every 20 seconds. It's so hard!!! My quads are feeling it! I'm no where near 50, but I've been told that's the best way to run for long distances. I do notice that it makes me faster which probably helps to explain why today was so much faster for me than the same run last week.
#29 of 1086 Old 07-31-2006, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Busy Cheryl
Why does Kerc's name come up as Old Lady R-C when she is quoted?
'Cuz eksmom changes the names
#30 of 1086 Old 07-31-2006, 06:39 PM

Oh. Duh.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page