Running Mamas Sprinting into September - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 997 Old 09-05-2006, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Plady, I think your letter is very clear and is not attacking in any way. It comes across as very honest. You're not even asking her to be supportive of you... although I sure wish that she'd see that you could use some support yourself. mama.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#122 of 997 Old 09-05-2006, 02:16 PM

Poppywise My dd#1 was a worrying kid, too. She still is, but not pathologically so, as I used to worry. Her first few years of school were really intense. She couldn't stand too much noise and constantly fretted. I think things shifted for her once she found a physical passion. She is completely devoted to Ballet. That started around 4th grade. She still freaks out every couple weeks, but it is so much better.

She had a major meltdown over ballet this summer because we had this transition class that was designed for a few kids her age who are going up on pointe (tonight!!!). I was loving this class even though I have thumbs for feet and I am not transitioning to a tougher class this fall (my 11 yo is WAY ahead of me!) but she would come home in tears because she "couldn't learn anything" and "it's way too hard" and "It's a mistake to let me go up on pointe." All the while, she is the most advanced person (not just most advanced kid) in the class! It's really frustrating. I guess she doesn't have ego problems, though, and that's good. We never had her evaluated, but just watched her carefully. She still is pretty perfectionistic, obviously, but she's learning to relax and give herself a break.

Shantimama My dd#1 also got herself in trouble like yours! She's quite the example today! It has caused some possibly permanent damage between us and our friends, as we were very close to the parents. My dd#1 is protecting her little sister. Their dd is mildly bullying...in such subtle ways, that her parents don't see it. And WON'T see it. That's the part that really gets to me. I feel like I'm such a fair person. In fact I usually err on the side of the other person's child. Those folks just believe everything their kids say. I don't know what to do about it. My dd#1 tries to be very kind now. I have found myself becoming much more hyper-tuned in and I have started to jump on their dd when I catch her in her behaviors...so now I've taken on dd#1's role. I don't like the way that kid makes dd#2 feel. DD#2 is such a softy. I don't like the way I feel or the way it makes my kids feel. This paragraph is so convoluted! These were super close friends!! I started counseling last week, and this is what I talked about there. It may be that I need to choose my kids over my friendship with these people, because I dealt with my child's problem and they haven't done anything about theirs. I need to protect my kids. I'd love to know more about what you choose and how you walk through this with your friend.

Eksmom, what kind of surgery did you have? Yay on the FO!! I HATE seeming. Passionately. I can never get it right. So, now I mostly just knit sweaters from the neck down that don't have any seems. Let me know if you want some patterns.

Ugh, Lisa!! Your friend needs to get another child. A second kid will shatter her illusions that her child "would never have done X". I thought I was such a great parent when dd#1 was little. Dd#2 cleared that up for me right away!! Just in time for dd#1 to hit 3 with gusto!!! I'm so sorry that it has caused such damage to your friendship. It's that kind of thing that just burns me up! Your friend needed some perspective.

Okay, you guys, you have to take me with a grain of salt because I seem to have all kinds of things to say about our kids today with plenty of examples, as if I've lived it all and know it all. I'm totally not saying that!!! So, please, take it all with salt...

That said,

Geofizz, I had that same exact worry about my dd#1. There was one older, mean girl that just drove me bonkers! I couldn't really keep them apart because it was when we had a soap factory on the farm that the little girl's parents owned. We were stuck together. Naomi would just do anything this kid wanted her to do. She got her in trouble once, too. By the time she hit school, though, she became a chief. Now she doesn't take crap from anyone. Hence our other problem. See above. Boot camp sounded fun!!

Kate~mom, oh no! Keep us posted!! Congratulations on the trophy!!

Hi ZeldasMom! I wear my running shoes a lot. I buy a new pair when I start getting new aches and pains...usually after about a year. I should buy them sooner, though.

Wawoof, you sound like an extremely responsible dog owner!

We live in an area where all, ALL dogs run free. There are 14 free dogs on my 3 mile route. Most of them are nice and sometimes they run with me, too. I will NOT put my dog on a leash when I'm running because 1) I need her to distract the other dogs from me, and 2) two of the dogs chase her and try to bite her and I don't want to be tied to her when she needs to be free to run. I don't want to get bitten! When we run in town or anywhere away from home, I put her on a leash. I have one of those seemingly bomb-proof dogs, but I know that any dog can lose it. I would actually consider putting my dog down if she were a biter. I value human life more than canine life and there are too many stories of biting dogs who end up mauling a person to death. I did say "consider". If it were my current dog, her history is so docile, that the situation would probably have to be pretty bizarre. Or, she would have become a loose cannon, crazy dog. We have a cousin on dh's side who was mauled at age 4 by his own family dog.

Lisa, I went to bed last night thinking of something I wanted to say to you, and I can't remember it at all!!

Plady, you are dealing with this, too! It is sooo tricky!

My oldest is almost 12 and my second daughter and her friend are 9. This has been going on for a few years now and it was a year ago that it came to a head and my friend said, "We don't want E at your house without one of us there if N is at home. We think N is bad for E's self-esteem." I just want to scream when I think about it! E is so bad for S's self-esteem!!! N protects S!!! They took it back, but it's really not the kind of thing you can take back. I can't get over it. It's officially MY problem now.

ND, I don't have any good advice about bed wetting. Dd#2 still wears a pull-up to bed every night. It used to be health related. Now it's a habit. She is NEVER dry in the morning. We are going to do something about it this fall, but I haven't decided what yet.

Wow, Lisa! Congratulations!

Paige, about feeling like a grown-up! I know exactly what you mean. My good stuff is all in boxes still because I have no place to put it. Sometimes I feel like I still live like a college student. I've been out of college for 13 years!

Plady, I think it's a great letter! Has your mom tried to contact you?
#123 of 997 Old 09-05-2006, 02:18 PM

grnmtn: are you married to my dh? He's totally NOT a planner IRL but when it comes to doing projects, it takes him freaking forever to get started. I tend to jump in without thinking. Gutters: yeah, last fall I was pregnant/new baby --- no way was I carrying the extension ladder. So dh didn't jump on it. This summer I got the ladder out to cut some branches down and he cleared out the gutters and then just last week he and Erin planted the yearling oak tree that he scooped from the gutter! Hmph.

bedwetting: yeah, erin's never been dry more than 3 nights in a row. So unfortunately we're buying pull ups now. She's too big for all but 2 of our nighttime dipes and when we were traveling this summer she got to wear pullups and now it's easier. So in the scheme of things 8 bucks a month is doable to avoid the arguments that come with snap on diapers.

I'm running this afternoon. I am working on teaching, 1 hr on my dissertation then 20 minutes of running. I need to walk the dog too, or I'd go farther than 20 minutes. I totally need it.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#124 of 997 Old 09-05-2006, 02:21 PM

Oooh, that was a long post! I'm going to start using my kids' names. Typing out their birth order just gets so confusing.

I've been running a lot. Not far, just often. My hip is killing me!!! Killing me!!! It's so frustrating! I have new shoes and they aren't any better than my old ones were. I stretch this hip out all the time but it is never enough. I limp around when I get up if I've been sitting or laying down. I'm taking today off because of it. I really want to get a PR at my 5k on Sunday but I don't know if it will happen. I still haven't gotten a massage or seen my chiropractor.

My goals for the week:

Monday: Run 3 miles (done)
Tuesday: Walk 35 min. (skipping this one)
Wednesday: Ballet 90 min. Modern 60 min.
Thursday: Run 4 miles
Friday: Walk 45 min.
Saturday: Off
Sunday: 5k with a PR of under 29:27
#125 of 997 Old 09-05-2006, 02:51 PM

OMG there is a lot going on here.

Just popping in with a HI between work and more work...first day of kindergarten (ds had a GREAT morning)...dd back to daycare (crying hard when I left)...of course dh had to throw a wrench in my plan by waffling back and forth on whether he was participating today, and then he went to work so I figured he was out, but he CAME BACK, and then only stayed long enough to wreck my plan of taking the bike, and left me doing both drop-offs alone anyway. : Whatever. I hope dd doesn't look awful when ds and I got pick her up.

We're biking this PM to do a kindergarten assessment, then get dd, and maybe also to karate class. We'll see. But I also brought some work home that needs doing ASAP. Cheers, everyone!
#126 of 997 Old 09-05-2006, 03:05 PM

cherylann, thanks for your kind words, they really mean a lot to me. thank you also for the congrats on step son!

hbm~thanks for the congrats as well, glad that you are hanging in there and doing well!
#127 of 997 Old 09-05-2006, 04:04 PM

Wow, so much going on.

cherylann - thanks for your dog thoughts. i think biting dogs vary a lot in what they are likely to do. ours has hurt other dogs, but the human bites (in our house) have only been warning nips - a single (usually light) bite, then retreat. but its enough that i don't want him around other kids because i worry that he could bite them in the face.

plady - your letter looks very fair and sensitive to me

1jooj - sorry your dh messed up your schedule

wendy - belatedly, i was the kid who would do anything to get other kids to like me (including puttin jalapeno juice in my eye because the neighbor's son said to!). i'm afraid i didn't get a "screw them, i'm who i am" attitude til high school when i realized most of the kids i was trying to impress weren't worth it : i don't see any signs of my kids being like that, but it would definitely concern me if i did. i don't know how to help karen, but just wanted to commisserate.

ND and others re: betwetting - If you're interested in a cloth alternative to sposie pullups, we are really loving Motherease Bedwetter Pants for E. They come in larger sizes than nighttime diapers, have no snaps, are easy to pull up and down, are "all in one", and are cleverly designed to be quick drying.

My update: Having G in a separate bedroom last night didn't seem to help things, but I'm hoping it'll improve as we develop a new norm. DH was able to rock him to sleep once, so at least we know he doesn't need nursing or even the stroller to get back to sleep. But G still woke up hourly, ugh. Tonight, I'm going to make sure he gets doses of painkiller at the appropriate times, and hope that helps. Anyone have tips for reminding DH of important things when he wakes up in the middle of the night? DH forgot the midnight painkiller dose, and left the side of G's crib down - we are lucky that G didn't pitch himself over the side headfirst on the hardwood floor!

We thought we had out houdini dog contained, then I came home after G's pediatrician appt this morning to find him out again. He escaped through the front window this time. Apparently, there is no way to keep him contained except closing ALL the windows in the house. Since we usually have all the windows open when we're here, this means closing all windows (or closing rooms with open windows) before leaving the house. Which means running the AC if it's even a little bit warm outside : In our old house, we could just open the tops of the double-hung windows, but in this house, only the bottoms open. Argh.

I'm going swimming today. My exercise goal for this week is to run every other day and either swim or bike at least 30min the days inbetween.
#128 of 997 Old 09-05-2006, 05:09 PM

Check this hard core runner out!

I can't even imagine.

ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

#129 of 997 Old 09-05-2006, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom
Plady, I think your letter is very clear and is not attacking in any way. It comes across as very honest. You're not even asking her to be supportive of you... although I sure wish that she'd see that you could use some support yourself. mama.
: I want to scream: HELLO!!!!! Who is the daughter here? Who is doing the mothering? And... Who needs to be mothered????? I mean, really, after all you've been through in the last year, I'm just p-ed off that anyone wants YOU to take care of THEM!!!! Okay, phew, I'll take some deep breaths now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylAnn
Ugh, Lisa!! Your friend needs to get another child. A second kid will shatter her illusions that her child "would never have done X". I thought I was such a great parent when dd#1 was little. Dd#2 cleared that up for me right away!! Just in time for dd#1 to hit 3 with gusto!!! I'm so sorry that it has caused such damage to your friendship. It's that kind of thing that just burns me up! Your friend needed some perspective.
ITA!

ND, that was awful! Swamps are nightmarish for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylAnn
I've been running a lot. Not far, just often. My hip is killing me!!! Killing me!!! It's so frustrating! I have new shoes and they aren't any better than my old ones were. I stretch this hip out all the time but it is never enough. I limp around when I get up if I've been sitting or laying down. I'm taking today off because of it. I really want to get a PR at my 5k on Sunday but I don't know if it will happen. I still haven't gotten a massage or seen my chiropractor.
I had this problem last year. A sports therapist helped me figure out that it was due to one leg being shorter than the other. Only it wasn't really shorter, it just hung shorter b/c my hip was out of whack from carrying babies. Anyway, a super-deep and painful massage plus a new pair of shoes that my running coach picked out for me when he noticed the hip thing helped align things - plus taking off from running, which I hope you won't have to do. Good luck, mama!

Okay, I'm running in the morning and toying with this running challenge.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#130 of 997 Old 09-05-2006, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftmama
loft - that looks AWESOME.
#131 of 997 Old 09-05-2006, 06:50 PM

anyone need math u see?
#132 of 997 Old 09-05-2006, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Dingo
Check this hard core runner out!

I can't even imagine.

ND
ack! gross!
#133 of 997 Old 09-05-2006, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftmama
Go for it That looks awesome! DH and I ran the Austin Marathon one year as a 2-person relay, and it was a fun race. What a great idea to do a progression of races.

I just got back from swimming 1000m. It felt good and... short. That's good because I usually try to do too much, then get down on myself. Earlier this year, I swam some, but mentally beat myself up because I compared my yardage/times to my pre-children days when I used to swim 3000m/masters workout. This time, I want to just be at peace with where I am and work to improve from where I am NOW, not where I was 4 years ago before 2 pregnancies. For those of you who swim, I highly recommend the book "The Waterproof Coach". It's a waterproof book with 3 flip panels, so you can choose pretty much infinite variations of workouts (warmup, main set, and cooldown) ranging from beginner to expert. I have had this book for 5 years and it really helps keep swim workouts interesting.
#134 of 997 Old 09-05-2006, 07:30 PM

so it looks like dh is going to take over the second leg of our mini marathon. It's going to take some bizarre finagling to get it done. He will drive to where the 2nd leg begins since he will have dd with him and she can't ride the bus to the 2nd exchange. However, he will have to park and walk to it since it's where people go for spectatoring (like that word? ). I will meet up and get dd and drive to the finish. bizarro...but at least we get to do it.
#135 of 997 Old 09-05-2006, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama
so it looks like dh is going to take over the second leg of our mini marathon. It's going to take some bizarre finagling to get it done. He will drive to where the 2nd leg begins since he will have dd with him and she can't ride the bus to the 2nd exchange. However, he will have to park and walk to it since it's where people go for spectatoring (like that word? ). I will meet up and get dd and drive to the finish. bizarro...but at least we get to do it.
Yay, I'm glad you figured out a solution
#136 of 997 Old 09-05-2006, 08:24 PM

Plady- I think the letter to your mother is great. Definitely not attacking, yet very clear.

Cheryl Ann-Wow, I live pretty rurally, on a farm, but we have lots of dog-shooters : : in our neighborhood, so I can't imagine packs of free-ranging dogs...you must have nicer less gun toting neighbors than I do.

About night time dryness- Zoe went through a rough patch after Nora was born after being dry at night for almost a year, and was wetting the bed almost every night. What worked for us was more focused time with her giving positive reinforcement for the things we appreciated, limiting liquids right before bed (ie, no gulping down a lot of water after teeth brushing), and getting her up to pee in her sleep before we fell asleep ourselves. I think the bedwetting maybe lasted a few months after Nora was born? I was definitely worried about UTI's, but in her case I think it was pretty much emotional adjustments.

On to running news...I just did my 2 miles for today. Since I have the 5k on Sun, this is my taper week. I have another 2 miles planned for Thursday, then a little rest until the race. I think we are going to spend Sat. night at MIL's, so it is a shorter drive to the race on Sunday morning, since the whole family wants to cheer me on. Although I understand the wisdom behind this plan, I am feeling a little irked about it, because I am still pretty angry w/mil for her behaviour as of late.

Also, I start my classes tomorrow! I'm so excited!

Abby
#137 of 997 Old 09-05-2006, 09:05 PM

4.5 miles easy this morning. My goals for the week are IDENTICAL to grnmtnmama, which I am finding eerie but cool. If I'm going to get my runs in they will have to move to the morning as the days get shorter.

BBM, glad your DH is jumping in. Wish I was closer or I'd do the leg for you.

Why is it that I can be feeling good about my runs and progress and myself as a runner, then one single person passes me and I get down?
#138 of 997 Old 09-05-2006, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balancin1
Why is it that I can be feeling good about my runs and progress and myself as a runner, then one single person passes me and I get down?
Sounds like we do the same thing. I tend to find someone who is better than me at whatever it is and make myself feel bad by comparing myself to them. As my DH pointed out, the irony is that I choose different people for every different aspect of my life, insuring that I always feel inferior I'm kinda scared of racing again because the competitive environment tends to fuel this tendency in me.
#139 of 997 Old 09-05-2006, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balancin1
i do the same thing - and sometimes it becomes productive, sometimes counterproductive. when i'm in an upswing, mood-wise, my thoughts are along the lines of . . . crap . . . she passed me . . . i did ALL this training and she still passed me . . . i need to do [x, y, and z] to beat her next time.

when i'm more succeptible to a crappy mood, it's more like . . . crap . . . she passed me . . . i did ALL this training and she still passed me . . . screw it, i'm not running tomorrow.

i have a super-competitive drive, which has worked for me, most of the time. i think the key for me has been realizing that, quite frankly, there will always be someone better than me at everything. much of this is related to life circumstances - i'm in a ph.d. program and working, so i don't have the hours to train that maybe the woman who passed me does; my husband works second shift, and i'm a crappy cook, so perhaps my nutrition isn't as good as the other person who passed me; maybe ds had a crappy night and nursed all night long, so i'm not as rested as this other one who passed me.

someone will always be a more gentle, thoughtful parent than i, someone will always be a more dedicated scholar than i, someone will always be prettier, thinner, faster, stronger, more put-together than i. i just have to work with what i have and be ok with it - not necessarily content, because i do thrive on continually improving, but ok with where i am at this point in time.
#140 of 997 Old 09-06-2006, 01:58 AM

Abby, yeah, I live rurally, but no one has chickens or anything. The farms out here are vineyards and orchards, so there are tons of orchard dogs wandering around. On any given Saturday, Bella will have 3 or 4 "friends" over to play in our yard. I don't know how she invites them, but they make themselves at home. Almost all of the free-range dogs are really sweet.

I do that comparison thing, too. Alfie Kohn has a book out about competition that I really want to read.
#141 of 997 Old 09-06-2006, 07:42 AM

Despite being up with a 4.5 yr dd until way too late discussing the existence of monsters and reasoning through the realities of bad dreams I still got up when my alarm went off at 5:15am and put in a little over 5.5 miles. It was nice and cool and oddly I ran into a ton of runners this morning which I don't normally. I was invited twice to come join them at the 5am group run. One of these days I'm sure I will again but I know none of these folks have little ones at home. Regardless I'm glad I got up and out there this morning. My evening social plans have been canceled so I just might run again after work. Definitely at least a good long yoga session before bed.

Happy Trails today!
#142 of 997 Old 09-06-2006, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2babybees
Despite being up with a 4.5 yr dd until way too late discussing the existence of monsters and reasoning through the realities of bad dreams I still got up when my alarm went off at 5:15am and put in a little over 5.5 miles. It was nice and cool and oddly I ran into a ton of runners this morning which I don't normally. I was invited twice to come join them at the 5am group run. One of these days I'm sure I will again but I know none of these folks have little ones at home. Regardless I'm glad I got up and out there this morning. My evening social plans have been canceled so I just might run again after work. Definitely at least a good long yoga session before bed.

Happy Trails today!
way to go, 2bbs! i'm off for my run, too. it is tough with little ones which is the only reason i might postpone the distance challene for another year.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#143 of 997 Old 09-06-2006, 08:32 AM

i was a little sore and tired after two whole days of running. so i didn't run this am but instead got up a little early and stretched, yogaed and did some abs. have to go comfort a crying child...

eta: pics of ds and his new handknitted sweater are on the blog.

after making it through dh's pre-birthday grumps, I think that I am also squarely in the midst of the pre-birthday dumps. Isn't it awful how when you're a kid the lead up to your birthday is the best, most exciting time in your life. And when you're an adult it makes you sad and grumpy. Yesterday I tried to pass it off as "i'm tired and have too many things going on in my life." But that's not what it is. I'm bummed about turning 31. I'm bummed that I have to spend my birthday at our biking/camping trip. not that i don't enjoy camping with our friends, it's just that I won't actually get to ride with our friends because this has become a 'thing' for dh's store. I will have to hang out with ds the whole time, and that's fun but I'll feel bad as everyone else heads out for rides. the other mommies either don't ride, so don't care or have not riding family members to watch their kids. oh, and dh won't do anything special because he'll be so wrapped up in this. How do I know? This trip is always on my birthday. anyway. it's time to stop this pity party.

My boss just handed me back the company newsletter that i put together. And on the article that I wrote he commented "Great Article! I wish all our staff could write like this!!". and that makes me feel good
#144 of 997 Old 09-06-2006, 08:56 AM

good morning ladies!

wow 2babybees~ you get up and out hte door so early, I admire you. I really need to get to bed earlier.

I'm up really late today. ds 3 came in to nurse at the time I would normally get up and so I stayed to nurse him and snuggle, falling back to sleep. then ds2 came in as I was waking up the second time and asked to snuggle with me. so, I can't complain, staying in bed enable cuddle time for two of three kids. Now ds1 is at my side so off I go.

Just popping in here to see what's up and say that today is the day for me to know whether I am running or not! I may run this afternoon if I get the go ahead. if not, I'll be able to white out the running plan that's already on the calendar and write in a new plan. either way, today is the new start!

Hugs,
Lisa
#145 of 997 Old 09-06-2006, 09:47 AM

I finished week 4 of Cto5k. Onwards to week 5 from now on the majority of the distance/time is running woot

Hope everyones having a great week
#146 of 997 Old 09-06-2006, 10:27 AM

congrats Janessa!

2bbs good for you. It helps me to hear that other mamas get up and go even after being up doing whatever with the babes.

grnmtnmama--that's great about the article! I just created some more work for you too... : at hugadubdub...hope that doesn't stress, just helps. It is weird about the b'day dumps! I was relieved this year (31 too) when my b'day was over because then I didn't have to think about it anymore.

loftmama--that is some serious racing! looks like fun though...

speaking of, I need to change my race in the beginning (eksmom?) to this one on Thanksgiving (Nov. 23). I just won't be in good enough shape to do the one by my house, although I'm leaving the option open to do it as a training run since I'll basically just have to roll out of bed and go. It's only in 8 weeks or something like that, and I've only run 7 miles pp. Not sure I can pull off a half safely in that short of a time.

I did run this morning after a week layoff with my stupid knee. It was nice and cool, and although my knee is still clicking the run was great. It was definitely "don't think, just run" and I'm glad I went, almost always am.

Take care mamas and have a lovely day. oh and don't start stalking hbm, she's just going for a walk with me in a little while.
#147 of 997 Old 09-06-2006, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
How do children get so grown up so fast??? My "little boy" said his shoes were hurting him so I asked him to sit on the floor and we would compare our feet - those same feet that I used to kiss while he was nursing. They are the same size as mine!!! School started yesterday and it dawned on me that except for holidays, the time in my life with kids around the house all day is over. I haven't made playdough in months and no one cares. I tidied up, swept the floor, etc after the bus picked them up this morning and it is going to stay that way until 4 this afternoon. That is great but - having your youngest child start grade one at the height of PMS week is NOT a good thing. Those of you who haven't reached that point yet - try to schedule your hormones differently make the school board work with you.

dh and I drove the kids to school yesterday and stayed until they were settled. ds is in grade five, same amazing teacher as last year and has 11 children in his class. dd1 is in grade 3, has a new teacher who seems promising, 17 kids in the class but a lot of very overwhelming personalities - I am a little worried about her. dd2 is in grade 1, just starting the French immersion program, has the same teacher her sister did last year (not thrilled about that) and 10 children in the class. The grade 1/2 teacher rarely smiles - how can you teach that age group and not smile at them all the time?? they all conked out by 8:30 last night. I spent yesterday doing errands and feeling crummy between PMS and this neck problem. It is a bit better this morning but it still hurts all down my right arm. Today I am working on a Shantiquilt order - it is all in reds so that should cheer me up, and then for stretch breaks I am making a huge batch of salsa for canning.

So this is my life now. It is a good thing I have some other things on the go or I would get seriously depressed. Time to get back to the LLL leader training, finish the course in spiritual direction, start working on that master's degree, and hopefully make lots of quilts. I also plan to get way more involved in caregiver support for the Alzheimer Society. At some point I have to start earning some $$$$ - but we have scraped by on one income for so long that I want to do the studies now so I can earn a decent income eventually.

The only exercise I am planning on today is riding my bike into town to pick up the mail. Walking makes my back and neck hurt more and I don't want to risk running.
#148 of 997 Old 09-06-2006, 10:35 AM

kate~mom - thanks for your perspective on avoiding destructive social comparison. it's a constant struggle to remind myself that there will always be others better and worse than i am, and it's really about being in reality about where i am and working on the things i can improve.

cherylann - ahhh, i would love to live in a community of free-running, well-mannered dogs. i love that aspect of french cities.

2bb - wtg on your early run! is your early run in the dark? do you wear a light?

loftmama - yay on your run! in my experience it's better to attempt a major distance effort when you have the time. i dropped out of training for my first marathon because i didn't have enough time... and i wasn't motivated enough. then again, we never have much time as moms... I'm wearing my austin marathon relay t-shirt for my run this a.m. and thinking of ya

grnmtnmama - sorry you won't get to ride on your birthday. i don't feel sad because i'm getting older on my b-day, but it seems like we celebrate it less and less every year, which sounds like part of what you're feeling. is there someone you could ask to watch your ds so you could get out and ride sometime? maybe even tell dh how you feel and ask him if he could make your birthday extra special by watching ds once so you can ride? and i bet he'd get extra social points with others for being a progressive dad and supporting his wife's athletic pursuits!

rm - snuggling is so nice sometimes hope you find out you are able to run :

janessa - wtg on your couch to 5k progress!

beth - hope you and hbm have a good walk

shanti - about your kids getting big. i tell e that he'll probably outgrow me one day, and it always makes me feel sad and proud at the same time to imagine my little boy that big

We have sleeping progress here! G fell asleep for DH last night, and slept 4 hours before waking Then I gave him motrin, nursed him, and he slept another 2 hours. Then DH got up with him, but he wouldn't go back to sleep for DH (after 2 hours) so I got up, nursed him, and he's asleep again. Major progress over hourly wakings! The other thing i did differently was put him in a sposie : I was so desperate for sleep and didn't want feeling wet to be keeping him awake. If he sleeps better in sposies, I'll make some stay-dry liners for his CDs.

I'm drinking a glass of accelerade, then going out for about 6mi.
#149 of 997 Old 09-06-2006, 10:45 AM

Eks- Please add me for the same race as Mamabeth!!Atlanta 1/2 Marathon

And yes it is pitch dark when I am running these days. I wear reflective or white tops but the route is very well lit as it is the bike path down a surbuban thoroughfare. I go past plenty of businesses and schools too. It is where almost all the morning runners are because of this.
#150 of 997 Old 09-06-2006, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2babybees
And yes it is pitch dark when I am running these days. I wear reflective or white tops but the route is very well lit as it is the bike path down a surbuban thoroughfare. I go past plenty of businesses and schools too. It is where almost all the morning runners are because of this.
Sounds like a great route. I decided to mix things up this a.m. and ran into the city on the main road into town, then back out another less busy road. The first part was interesting in terms of shops and things but the air quality was awful with all the diesel busses and such. To quote the Lorax, my lungs felt full of "smogulous smoke". The upside is I ran hard for the whole 6mi, and negative splits (2nd half faster), so I was pretty pleased with it. Will definitely bike or swim tomorrow to recover.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page