Running Mamas Sprinting into September - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 997 Old 09-06-2006, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mamas,

HBM, I am excited for you, your baby will be here soon!

Running Mama, I am so happy for you too, no fracture. Cause to celebrate. I hope the PT will help you feel great.

EK's Mama, hope the therapist will give you lots of great feedback. I am thinking of you.....

Zelda's Mama, I know we have "Talked" here on MDC before, but I am in Madison too. Sadly, I don't have local running buddies (major cReb and Jooj envy) so I am pretty stoked that you have joined the thread

Mandy, that is a bummer about your birthday I can see where you are coming from not wanting to impose but I feel resentful for you! What are the chances of rescheduling and having a day all about you where you get to celebrate the way you want? I know it wouldn't be on your birthday exactly in that case, but the full spirit would be there and that would feel good.

Plady, your Mama's letter was nice and from what it sounds a huge step forward in your interactions with her. I am happy for you that she gave you that. You deserve it Mama. Maybe letters like this are a good way for you two to communicate about these important issues? I don't know why, but sometimes it is easier to say important stuff when it is in the form of the written word, and it isn't constrained by face to face complexity.

Loftmama, all I can say is old-schmold! You are one HAWT woman, as all the running dingo get-together-ites can attest to. Your race plan sounds really fun and awesome. I can't wait to hear more about it.

Kerc, hang in, you can make it to the weekend, you can do it

Shanti, I am salivating here like Pavlov's dog! Yummmmmmmm.......... Thanks for the recipe. I am stressed and doing the stress eating thing, but man, what a fabulous way to go if I am gonna do it!

Con Leche, yay for you! How exciting, to be signed up for your first race. That is awesome. Your plan for adding on the minutes is what I do. And then you realize that what was hard just a few days before, is easier and easier. You can do it Mama!

We are doing fine. Took DD in for a urinalysis today to make sure she doesnt have an infection. Would love for this to be curable with a pill : Thanks again for all your advice and reassurance. I appreciate it muchly much much much so (to quote from my DD's book )

My latest intrigue is the mystery of my missing babysitter (Sounds like a Nancy Drew book). I hired a woman last Friday. She is starting nursing school this week and is fabulous. Her 3 references were impecable: responsible, mature, dependable, reliable etc. - you get the idea. Her first day was sunday evening so Mr. D and I could go on a date and we emailed Sun AM, she said she would be here at 5:30p. Well, she didn't show and hasn't answered phone or email messages. She is supposed to come tonight, tomorrow, and friday (busy crazy week!) and I am thinking that I better not expect her : Based on her references, her interview, and her resume, this seems really out of character. I wonder if something not so good has happened in her life? And what to do? Do I start interviewing more people (headache ugh) or wait and then be all the more behind? Ack, I really need a sitter but also my philosophy is to give people a break when they need it (LOL as long as they don't leave my kid home alone ). The meeting tonight was one that Mr D and I should both really go to but now we can't. I am going to feel bad for complaining if she is recovering from abdominal surgery or something but man, this is a huge PIA for me.

Anyway, I have the X files music going in my head over all of this

- didn't get any exercise today but tomorrow I am in da pool Baybee. Little DD did great at her first day of preschool Tuesday so I feel comfortable being away from my cell phone for an hour or so to swim and float and generally feel wonderful in the water :

On a related sitter note, one of the people I interviewed who I really liked but didn't hire works at the running store in town (unfortunately on the day/eve I need her most WAH) Maybe that is a sign I should call her. Us runners are not flaky peeps!

Zelda's Mama with her links to local races (from that store) got me all excited for the spring. I can't wait to train for something Maybe Z, reb and jooj and I can all do Crazylegs together.......

Oh and my high school sitter just called, she will come over for this evening so we can both go to the meeting. Yay!
Take it easy, ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

#182 of 997 Old 09-06-2006, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

I am home and dinner is gonna be soon but I thought I would jump on here while I have a quick sec. The counseling went well today. She read my list and she didn't think I was an evil wench. In fact she really validated my feelings, acknowledged that we are really struggling - sometimes I feel like maybe this thing wouldn't be so hard for other people as it is for me. She made some suggestions of things for me to try, basically to give me a way to let some of my thoughts and feelings out to DH instead of keeping them all bottled up. I hope that I can do what she asked... I'm sure going to try. I'm going back to see her again next Tuesday.

OK... time to eat...

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#183 of 997 Old 09-06-2006, 09:30 PM

poppy ~ In my class today (the assessment of young children), we were talking about gifted children and how they repsond to it differently. One of the theories is that many gifted children have anxieties, worries, and fears when trying new things because there is a possibility of failing. A light bulb went off for me because you mentioned your son was really bright and articulate. Has he been tested for a "gifted program" out of curiousity?

eksmom ~

Wisconsin mamas ~ My DH is applying for a job in Appleton, WI. He had a technical interview over the phone tonight, and within the week he will have another interview via phone. Please keep us in your thoughts and will us northward!

HBM ~ I'm thinking of you.

On Monday my DH and I never got to the bike portion of backwards brick. We ran and we were both sore and exhausted when we got home. In fact, my left hip is in agony tonight. Ibuprofren and stretching it...

Last night I jogged to the gym, lifted legs, and jogged home. That probably didn't help the hip any.

Tonight is my night off. Thank God. I am exhausted and I still have 1 more day left of my school week - student teaching tomorrow. I'm going to bed early tonight. I swear.

Have a good evening everyone!

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#184 of 997 Old 09-06-2006, 09:35 PM

eksmom~sounds good, great to have your feelings validated. sorry I missed your post earlier, thanks for asking about me! hope your evenign goes smooth tonight. so glad your package was a bright spot for you!

lofty~woah, no way are you 40! you are smokin'!! hope I look that good. I'm 33 and look my age. yikes!

thanks for all the support ladies, feelin' the ran 5 miles this afternoon and felt amazing! wow, can't believe it felt so good to just be runnign again. did my physical therapy exercises once today, shooting for one more when the kidlets are tucked in and some pilates, maybe yoga if I can swing it. so stinkin' happy to be running. didnt' think it woudl be this good, but that patience paid off I guess.

love you ladies!
Lisa
#185 of 997 Old 09-06-2006, 09:53 PM

Lisa, Yeah for your awesome run!!!

ND, glad something worked out for tonight. Hope the babysitter's okay. I might follow up on the running store babysitter, too. There may be some good karma there.

JenLove, I remember those classes. (Hey! I remembered something! Not all my pre-baby brain cells are dead. Yet. ) Anyway, I've heard a lot about this book: The Drama of the Gifted Child, thought I haven't read it. Student teaching and studying can be exhausting, too. Get some rest!

Eksmom, glad you had a good session with the counselor. See note above about Gifted Children struggles. Like I said, I haven't read it b/c well, I think I'd know if they were gifted, right, and, well, they know their abc's!

Took the kids to choir practice tonight. The 2yo is too young, but my 6yo loved it, was fitted in a robe, and will be singing on Sunday!!!!! Yikes! I guess I'm committed!! I go a few times a year, haven't been in over a year, and now here we are with a choir boy!!! I think I'm moving too fast.

We will continue to consider piano teachers, especially with a fabulous one around the corner for the 6yo, but will hold off on my 2.5yo. He can watch big brother for a while. Geez, all this is requiring some structure in my life and I'm not sure if I'm ready for it. It feels so grown-up, so mature! Sigh. I guess I'm growing up, too. RM, not 40 yet, 11 months to go...

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#186 of 997 Old 09-06-2006, 10:19 PM

RM!!! I'm so relieved for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Dingo
Maybe Z, reb and jooj and I can all do Crazylegs together.......
OMG! DH's grandmother's were in the same nursing home as crazylegs! I just emailed my ILs the link, they will be interested.

I'm hoping DrJen and I can find a race to do together too... there's gotta be something easy for us both.

I can see giving the babysitter a break if some emergency happened.

So I just calculated my pace for yesterday's run: 4.5 miles in ~52 minutes is just under 12 min/ mile and I was running easy. I am definitely getting at least a wee bit faster! Tomorrow is another easy run of 3 miles.
#187 of 997 Old 09-06-2006, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Plady - what a good thing your Mom did, writing you that letter. Do you have any idea how many times I have tried in therapy to write an IMAGINARY letter from my mom trying to say some of that stuff to me - and after several attempts I gave it up, went back to my therapist and said that even in my wildest imaginings I could not picture my mother saying anything like that? Even my therapist agreed it was hopeless. Sorry to go off on a tangent - after all you have been through, I am glad she was able to apologize to you so beautifully.

eksmom - I am glad this therapist is being supportive and helpful to you. Go easy on yourself - you are a wonderful person and this is hard stuff you are working through!

grnmtnmama - I have had too many birthdays sidelined because of what other people need that day. I hope something good workd out for you. If it is any consolation, 31 was a long time ago for me. Last month I had my last 30's birthday. I am hoping things lighten up in my 40's.
#188 of 997 Old 09-06-2006, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLove
Has he been tested for a "gifted program" out of curiousity?
thanks for thinking of us jenlove! nope, never tested. but i know the fear of failure is big with him, for sure. i don't know, he's been in kindergarten for 2 weeks and his teacher remarked that she thinks he's 'so smart!' but that's about as official as it gets! maybe i will look into that drama book lofty mentioned...we've had some of that lately for sure!

eksmom - hope ek likes the bunny! i'm sitting here fretting thinking i may have left a pin in it or something [um, hello- my son has inherited a 'worry' gene, courtesy of me, i am sure of it!]

rm - whew! that's good news!

mandy - oh how i know the birthday disappointment one year dh just completely forgot. i reminded him about halfway through the day because i couldn't stand it any more! i try to take a loftmama approach now, commandeering the whole thing so as not to be disappointed!

kerc - that's cool! but yeah, i'm with geo. they need to fix that.

hbm - :

plady - glad you've got the communication lines going with your mom, that's a great thing

ND- that is really weird about the sitter -keep us posted

hi to everyone else - our group is growing so big! love it!

i have had the worst sinus pain the last two days. i almost went and bought a neti pot, thanks to BBM's infomercial on another thread! but they gross me out. i'm sure they're great, but i dunno...

happy runs everyone!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#189 of 997 Old 09-06-2006, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppywise
eksmom - hope ek likes the bunny! i'm sitting here fretting thinking i may have left a pin in it or something [um, hello- my son has inherited a 'worry' gene, courtesy of me, i am sure of it!]
Oh, Poppy, she s that bunny. She slept with her last night, took her in the car to preschool this morning... the bunny spent the day in the carseat, and they were reunited this afternoon. It is so cute and I personally am honored to have Poppymade items in my home. If there's a pin in there we haven't come across it ( what would I have thought if the bunny started poking me in my sleep? ) The bunny doesn't have a permanent name yet but we are working on it.

#190 of 997 Old 09-06-2006, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantimama
grnmtnmama - I have had too many birthdays sidelined because of what other people need that day. I hope something good workd out for you. If it is any consolation, 31 was a long time ago for me. Last month I had my last 30's birthday. I am hoping things lighten up in my 40's.
: wooo-hooo! me, too!!! so shantimama, wanna fess up and tell me your birthdate? looks like you and i may be only a few days apart!

(i bought some wash-that-gray-right-outta-my-hair today. )

#191 of 997 Old 09-06-2006, 11:43 PM

Well, I did it. I took my firstborn to school, and then I got back in the car and came home without him. I'm not feeling too bad, actually. I'm really excited for him, which helps a lot. When Shantimama talked about the era of having little children in the house being over, it resonated with me on a different level. I was so struck today about how ds is now going to have so many new life experiences that have nothing to do with me. I'm just so used to being so involved in his life - knowing all his friends, knowing when he has a test going on, or a school event, or whatever. When your kids are little, everything they do, you know about, and it just struck me as so odd today to think about his life's path branching off of mine now.

Now tomorrow I'll take little dd to preschool for the first time. We'll see how that goes.

Balancin1 - oh do look for something for us to do together. I can come into the city, or maybe we both could go to the suburbs. It would be great to have a racing partner!

eksmom - I'm so glad you got your package. I'm thinking maybe you feel better from the surgery, but you sure could use to be loved on some right now. In fact, I'm glad you had appendicitis just for that! :

RM - Yay about your back! I hope you'll continue to feel great on your runs. And no way do you look 33!

loftmama - I have my gray professionally dyed every 6 weeks. I am really gray, and I'm only 35.

ND - what a weird babysitter situation. Does make you wonder if this person is okay, or got hit by a car coming to your house, or what? Wanted to tell you that bedwetting is a ho-hum normal thing around here, too. Both my sons have struggled with it, Chris worse than Justin. I also wet the bed until I was 15. Little dd occasionally wets, too - but older dd never did. We used nighttime pullups for a very long time here - and Chris worked out all kinds of ways to change in a sleeping bag, or other unobtrusive things so that he could do sleep overs, or camps or whatever. We did pursue medical treatment for him when he got older and was wanting to do sleepovers and things, but unfortunately had no change at all with medications, and had only brief success with behavior modification techniques like alarm systems. Because of that, we never tried anything with Justin who only wets intermittently anyway. We always notice an increase in accidents when the weather changes - especially when it gets cooler at night - maybe that's a factor at your house?

HBM - today, while moving Chris in, a van drove by with the license plate HBM something and I immediately thought of you. I was hoping it was a sign that your babe was on the way, but no such luck I guess!
#192 of 997 Old 09-07-2006, 12:25 AM

loftmama - August 3 - when is yours? I covered the grey once -and walked around scratching my head for a month. Never again. One day my youngest looked at me and said, "Oooooh, Mama - you are turning into a princess! Look - your hair is turning into real silver!" and I haven't worried about it since. I think well cared for silver or white hair is gorgeous, so I just keep conditioning mine like crazy.

WARNING: long rant, not at all related to running. Feel free to skip.

I LOVE the spiritual direction training course I am taking, but the woman who runs the program is a TERRIBLE administrator. I enquired about the program several times after dh took it and the start date kept getting bumped back - and then when it was set, she forgot to notify me. I heard about it off hand from another friend and only just managed to get my application and fees in on time. For the first year, she was to respond to half of the assignments, the other leader the other half. The other person always responded within 48 hours, even if just to tell us when he would write back in more detail. For two of my papers she only got back to me when I hounded her. She never did get back to me about one assignment. When it was time for the second residency, she didn't mail information to half of the participants, we all figured it out from each other. Then last June, she informed us that she wanted our final integrative project for the year three months earlier than what the syllabus said. I busted my butt to get it done and in on time. It wound up being a very personal paper, I felt vulnerable writing some of what I did but good about what I wrote. I also sent a copy to the other instructor, who sent an amazing response right away. She has yet to acknowledge receiving the paper let alone responding to it even though I have sent e-mails and asked her on the phone about it. I have been planning on being away starting 9/17 and trying to figure out transportation as I won't have a car and bus fare is out of sight to this resdency location. Tonight I got an e-mail from another participant in the program who is looking to carpool with someone - and she mentionned that it starts THIS Sunday, not next. Yikes!!!!

I am so intensely frustrated. That gives me three, not ten days to finish a quilt another student ordered from me. I have 15 litres of tomatoes to can and a bunch of time consuming paperwork tasks to do regarding my mom's care - all things I thought I could do over the next week. I sent the director an e-mail asking her to confirm the dates with me and to ask if she had looked at my paper yet. I will follow up with a phone call tomorrow morning - but she is notoriously hard to track down. I hate this kind of stuff. I wanted to be asleep a long time ago, not trying to wind down after getting so angry and stressed about this stuff. Aaaagh.
#193 of 997 Old 09-07-2006, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLove

Wisconsin mamas ~ My DH is applying for a job in Appleton, WI. He had a technical interview over the phone tonight, and within the week he will have another interview via phone. Please keep us in your thoughts and will us northward!
For what company???? What is the job??????
#194 of 997 Old 09-07-2006, 09:04 AM

That was my question, too! :

and ND, I'd totally LOVE to do crazylegs with you and Z and the gnome queen.
#195 of 997 Old 09-07-2006, 09:19 AM

cReb and jooj ~ The company is called Stratagem, and they are consulting firm that does java development/programming. They also have offices in Madison and Milwaukee, but we really want Appleton.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#196 of 997 Old 09-07-2006, 09:42 AM

shantimama, mine is aug. 7. we are 4 days apart. my hair has become duller and ashier-looking over time and someone recently told me that semi-permanents designed to watch out gray can cover up some of that ashy look. but i'm not sure i really want to touch it. i certainly can't afford to pay someone to regularly color it, so i'm just thinking abou it.

that just stinks about your administrator! how frustrating. you are putting so much of your precious time and energy and thoughts into this. i can't believe they have 1 outstanding administrator and 1 very unprofessional administrator. i was just telling someone that i wish i had bought enough tomatoes while they were in season to can. i wish i could come over and help you can. good luck.

ahhh, i contemplated a nice long, solo run this morning in this beautiful cold-front along the river where musicians often hang out playing whatever. but no. i just can't pull myself out of sleep enough to get out there in time. Sigh. tomorrow. at least i'll have 2 or 3 mama friends picking me up. and if they can do it...

hbm

#197 of 997 Old 09-07-2006, 10:02 AM

hi y'all...
my baby seems to have lost his mind, at least last night, so I'm not thinking too clearly. I need to go surf the food allergies or teething stuff, because what happened last night is not okay. He acted like his tummy hurt, and would not go to sleep for more than an hour or so which is really unusual for him these days. DH also happened to lose HIS mind conveniently and on his "shift" just figured that since he was crying he would just leave him in the crib. What? we don't do that. anyway, I ended up holding a big ol' baby in the recliner most of the night. cute when they're a newborn, not so much when they're 20 lbs and thrashing around.

but in a bit I'll be taking him to college, right? drjen, you are such a great mama.

um, should we all just pick up and move to wisconsin? running mama commune?

got to go handle dh. usually he does not need to be handled but I don't know what's up. no news on my end from hbm though.
#198 of 997 Old 09-07-2006, 10:05 AM

I just got a phone call from the administrator apologizing for the mix up. She said she e-mailed and snail mailed the info last week but nothing has arrived yet. I definitely need to make my way north this Sunday. It is tricky. I have to take a ferry across the North Channel of Lake Huron to get where I am going and they have a very limited schedule this time of year - and as it ison Sunday (dh is a minister) I have no way of getting to the ferry on time - and still no way figured out of how to get to the retreat centre once I get to the Island. No car pool plans are working out. I think I need to get on the phone and do some figuring out, but what a hassle. And I haven't even told my kids yet - they are gearing up for me leaving a week from now, not in a couple of days. This timing stinks - I wish we could have prepared for it better. Oh well.
#199 of 997 Old 09-07-2006, 10:10 AM

good luck to your dh JenLove!

Shanti - that's really frustrating. some people just don't get that the administrative part is almost as important as the other parts.

stop talking about bed-wetting, i think ds has been listening. ds had been dry for almost two weeks (we stopped allowing him to take a cup of water to bed ) and then last night he wet a little bit and he was devastated. he's just a little guy, not even three so no big deal at this point. but boy was he ever despondant last night.

so right after the alarm went off this morning, ds came into our room crying 'don't go to work mommy'. How could I leave and go for a run after that? i brought my stuff though, maybe i can escape later today.

dh and I had a long talk about this weekend. i explained to him that i was feeling pretty bummed about not getting to ride, but that i understood that this weekend was bigger than just us camping and riding with our friends. but that it was just going to suck for me. at first he bristled for attack, but then realised that i didn't want to fight, i just wanted to whine and we had a good conversation. he said he wants me to be able to ride on my birthday, but i pointed out that his Trek rep is coming on Sunday and so how can he not ride? it's a business thing.

maybe i'll arrange a girls night out or something on Sunday evening, post camping, no baby. thanks for all the moral support. i feel so self-absorbed, but getting better.

now, onto HBM.....baby?
#200 of 997 Old 09-07-2006, 10:18 AM

Still here.
Baby turned posterior last night (s/he also did it last Saturday) and it really freaked me out. Dh is completely clueless about this and doesn't understand why it upset me. : I did lots of hands and knees and scrubbed the entire kitchen (wow-the fronts of cabinets can get pretty gross ). Baby seems to be back in LOA now. We had a nice walk to school this morning-it was actually cool.

Mamabeth-so sorry about ds and dh. What is WITH men sometimes? I hope you have a great time at your conference.

doctorjen- You will always be his mama and it sounds like your relationship is so good that he will always include you in his life.

Jenlove-hang in there! Student teaching can be so stressful.

Eks-it sounds like your counselor is a great help/outlet for both of you. I'm so glad you have her. How is dh doing?

RM- on the run! Did you have your gatorade???

Loftmama-My older dd tends to be a bit of a perfectionist. She has started hitting herself in the head when she makes a mistake and it worries me. She doesn't do it hard, but it's still not something I want to her to do. She often won't try things b/c she doesn't think she'll be able to do them correctly the first time. She is almost 7 now and is slowly growing out of this and attempting new things. Oddly, I think some of it is from watching other kids at school try new things with different degress of success.

cReb-how are you feeling from your run/fall? I hope you're doing OK!

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#201 of 997 Old 09-07-2006, 10:23 AM

Hi Ladies! I just got back from my last run before my race on Sunday. I actually just put on my shoes and ran out the door and did about 2.5 miles. I almost never do that any more for a variety of reasons (such as toxic neighbors, scary dogs, and the rural maine attitude of he who drives the biggest truck wins and everyone else belongs in the ditches : ). Anyway, since I wasn't pushing the kiddos I figured I would just do it, so I didn't have to drive anywhere. So...my neighbor's scary evil dog that has bitten my dh(among many others) came after me into the road and across the street barking her head off and just barrelling at me. ARGHHHH!!!!! I just yelled at her in my meanest most commanding voice and went towards her like I was going to menace her somehow(which is what our neighbor says to do) and she backed out of the road back to her property. So I got a huge adrenalin(sp?) burst and now I feel all sick and shaky. And I kept thinking of Kate~mom. So....I obviously need to say something to my neighbor yet again. The problem is that she is under perfect voice control when he is right there, and I don't think he realizes that she is so out of control when he is not around. And we need this neighbor as an ally, due to complicated rural politics . So now I need to come up with some tactful way to tell him to keep his dog inside or tied up if he is not right there with her....sigh....any suggestions?

And for my running question of the day, what do you recommend for running attire? I've been running in a pair of shorts that I got to go w/my swimsuit post partum that I've taken in at the waist a few inches, and they don't stay up anymore and seem to exacerbate the chafing issue. If it is cold enough I run in loose fitting exercise pants, which also seem to be having issues staying up. Our sports shop is having a sale right now and I thought I might go in there and see what is available....(although I totally have a shopping phobia, which is made worse by having kids with me, and needing to try things on, since I have lost enough weight post baby, that I have a totally distorted body image and can't look at clothes and tell if they will fit anymore )

Okay, cranky dh (and baby)....must go....

Abby
#202 of 997 Old 09-07-2006, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Loft, yeah, 2.5 is a bit young for lessons. I hear great things about Music Together. Is there one in your area?

Good luck JenLoveDH!

HBM

I rode my bike for a second day in a row for the first time in a year. My a$$ hurts.
#203 of 997 Old 09-07-2006, 11:52 AM

geo, there is a music together in the area as well as music for little mozarts but after watching an inconvenient truth, i am committed to having no-driving days. (although i am skeptical about how little difference I make, but i feel like it's partly an example thing.) so i'm trying to just walk in the hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missbliss
rural maine attitude of he who drives the biggest truck wins and everyone else belongs in the ditches
i recently read an article about those truck-driving, screeching, black mark artistic contests those crazy maine drivers have. it's like street graffitti only with your trucks. i can see why you'd want to watch out for them! as far as running gear goes, i'd definitely take advantage of the sale. i pretty much go with whatever's on sale, but i definitely go with true running clothes rather than modified sweats/running gear. i think it makes such a difference in how i run, how i feel, my motivation etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbm
Oddly, I think some of it is from watching other kids at school try new things with different degress of success.
Isn't this interesting? My oldest ds does the same thing. I was mortified recently at a playdate when he started swinging his arms in a circle violently as if he was winding up for something. So was the playmate's mother. I remembered that his older cousin sometimes did this and figured out my son was just trying it out as if he was still trying to understand how he felt about this odd behavior, wondering if it was cool or awful. we nipped that in the bud quickly and talked about it later. thankfully he hasn't repeated it, but there have been a number of odd "trying-out" behaviors that didn't seem like him that have worried us. fortunately they've all passed and noone's been hurt, but it does make me a little more vigilant about observing his play with other kids when i'm around. who knows what goes on when i'm not around...

grntmtnmama, don't feel bad about the self-absorbed thing. i have to come to think that we are self-absorbed in phases/stages and it's the wisdome of our bodies telling us we need to tune in and listen to something inside of us, perhaps something we ignore from spending so much time and energy taking care of others. i try to remember during the times that i feel this way to listen and tune in and to let myself have those moments, but i usually don't remember it till it's passed and then i think, "oh yeah." anyway, we are all women ( i think ) and can relate to this subject pretty well. hope you're able to make a wonderful day of biking out of this all for you!!! we gotta take care of ourselves so that we can continue to create that cyclical energy that nurtures others. plus i think our kids need to see us saying, "Yeah. Mom's important. So hey! I'm outta here!" I mean all this in the best way. So have a great, guilt-free bike-riding day!

#204 of 997 Old 09-07-2006, 12:15 PM

Been busy reading along (everyone is so chatty ), but not doing much posting. Haven't run since my big day on Monday, but am contemplating doing a fair amount of biking today. It would involve Midtown Manhattan, so checking internally if I am up for that.

So many transitions this time of year for everyone, huh? Can you all reassure me -- when your children happily leave you to go to school, this is a good thing and means that they are securely attached to you, enough to boldly make transitions that are sometimes difficult for other kids?? Ok, major run on sentence. My younger DD is at preschool today for the first time. Today was not even the start day for new students, but I had spoken to an administrator who said she could stay for an hour or so to check things out, since we were dropping older DD off there anyway. When we got there DD2's teacher said, well, how about 30 min. Ok. Then she asked me to step out to see how she did. Then she found me in the library, asking if I could get lunch for Dd, so she could stay and eat with them, since she was doing so well. I knew she would do fine -- she has been ready to go to school for like a year, but the teacher seemed very surprised and impressed. So now I am hope by myself, not quite sure what to do with myself. Dd1 also trasitioned amazingly well when she started school. I do think that it is a good thing, but when I see how easily they will sometimes accept new people (like adopting someone's mom for an afternoon, for example) I have to reassure myself that they can do this because they are confident in their parents, not trying to get away from them. :

Ok, enough OT. Well, one more thing ... I decided to share some of my stress with DH, specifically how he contributes to it, since I am feeling a bit overwhelmed and seeing how stress manifests itself in my body (so I realize I must deal with it in a more open way). Hoping he would see the error of his ways and how he needs to grow up a bit and be more responsible about stuff that he would rather deny exists, only to have him (uncharacteristically) "defend" himself and try to turn everything back on me. Even used my friend's letter against me (the one who wrote me a few weeks back detailing all the problems she has with me or sees in me). : I ended up sleeping with the kids. I think that is the first time I have specifically done that.

HBM, you are psyching yourself out! Didn't you say that your babies come late??? So chill out and enjoy the last few days of only 2 DDs!

Ok, gotta run.
#205 of 997 Old 09-07-2006, 12:23 PM

moonshine, ds1 was super-attached and definitely not ready for preschool. ds2, at 2yo, is begging me to leave him somewhere. i take him to mother's day out and i can't get there soon enough and it's never long enough. thankfully, due to ds1 i don't feel like it's me, but it's just them and their personalities. i wouldn't take it personally.

and, um, on sleeping in separate beds...btdt!! now b/c our children still want us to be in bed with them, but not with each other, we split up every night. it may sound weird, like it's not good for our marriage, but believe me you wouldn't know it. i kinda think it's been good for our, um, detainment life. anyway. that's my experience. you are not alone.

#206 of 997 Old 09-07-2006, 12:30 PM

May I whine (again ) for a minute?

I just got back from the midwife and it didn't go very well. The baby is still not in a good position (almost posterior, but not quite. Sort of angled in there) and by BP was the highest it's been. I just want to cry. Why in the world would this baby decide to move at 40 weeks? :

#207 of 997 Old 09-07-2006, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I hope you can get the bp down.

You're welcome to wash my floors if you run out in your house.
#208 of 997 Old 09-07-2006, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

HBM I'll concentrate on turning vibes instead of labor vibes for the moment.

#209 of 997 Old 09-07-2006, 12:48 PM

HBM - whine away. then get yourself a nice big sofa pillow and hang out on supported hands and knees while watching 'a baby story' on TLC and telling your baby that if he doesn't come out nicely you'll have one of those frightening 'baby story' births. just kidding. sometimes they show nice births and breastfeeding moms, but mostly it's just intervention after intervention. I know, I'm a recovering 'baby story' addict.

but don't worry. your body knows what to do and don't let anxiety over baby postition push your bp up.

moonshine - my ds has no problem leaving me either. he's very confident and easy going. i take it as he understands that I'll be there for him.

re; kids being afraid to try things because they're afraid that they'll fail...i still suffer from this and am very afraid to try something. a previous boss brought that to my attention once. he was mostly a self-absorbed jerk - but that was extremely helpful.

Loftmama - thank you for your excellent words. that really helps.
#210 of 997 Old 09-07-2006, 12:57 PM

You ladies are the BEST! Thanks for the support and kind words.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page