pre- and pre-pre-baby Fitness Tribe for NMY! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 633 Old 09-25-2006, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieMC View Post
I've been all over the boards tonight! I'm looking back at some old threads here in wt.management trying to find some inspiration and ideas for exercise.
If you find anything, especially inspiration , please do let me know!

And I tried to start readind that thread last night, but I didn't even finish the first post. It is a huge thread, even without opening links.
#62 of 633 Old 09-25-2006, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Isabel View Post
I don't think yoga classes would work for me because my schedule is very irregular. Does any of you have good experiences with yoga videos?
I use Lilias! Yoga for Beginners. They are available at the local library, though that's not where I got them from. I like it because it is meant for people who have to start really slow (like because of injuries, back problems, etc) and that's just my pace!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATD_Mom View Post
One Nalgene is roughly 32 ounces, or 1 liter.
I have a baby Nalgene that holds 16 ounces and I try to drink four of them a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsHelena View Post
That's how I thought your name was pronounced. What book is it from?
Dune by Frank Herbert

Quote:
: I'm starting to have a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge list of books I want to read. Ack!
You can reassure yourself that at least it will never be as big as my list.

I did Yoga yesterday morning and I think it really helped the headache and sore throat I had. I am trying to get all my water in today and figuring out if I should do my workout or cardio after work tonight.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#63 of 633 Old 09-25-2006, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sihaya View Post
Dune by Frank Herbert
Now I feel thick. I've read those.
#64 of 633 Old 09-25-2006, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Now I feel thick. I've read those.
Don't feel bad. It's really obscure, even if you've read the book. I think it's only in the first book, and only once or twice. A friend bestowed the nickname on me and it is also DH's "pet name" for me.

#65 of 633 Old 09-25-2006, 01:25 PM

I'm not really putting my diet health goals on here because that would be way too complicated so I'm just gossiping ...

But my ND told me to drink 2 litres of water a day. Finally I managed to get a really pretty glass 1 litre bottle (there was some German mineral water in it first) and I fill that at the beginning of each day. I find I drink 1 L really easily. More than that, not so much...
#66 of 633 Old 09-25-2006, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

that's what I've been doing too, kind of. I fill a 1,5L bottle with about 2/3 water and 1/3 orange juice (it's easier for me to drink juice or tea than plain water) and I make sure I drink that in a day. Well, I try. It's easier when I'm home. But the bottles really helps me keep trac of how much I'm drinking.
#67 of 633 Old 09-25-2006, 01:58 PM

It's only one, and I've already had 2.5 L of water.

Drink or nibble are my options, so I drink.
#68 of 633 Old 09-25-2006, 04:20 PM

I'm doing moderately not too bad on my plan. I've been managing the diet modification part quite well. (I suppose it helps that I've started out really slowly.) As for the meditation, I managed 5 minutes today before I thought I'd used up my 15 minute break at work. The exercise . . . that will have to wait until tonight.
#69 of 633 Old 09-25-2006, 04:28 PM

Ok, the tea (in a glass-it's a Jewish thing, my DH says), the matzo ball soup, and the echinacea had us in better spirits today. DH is not perfect, but much better. I almost only get sick when I have AF (think my immune system is a bit lower than usual), but since she's leaving, that probably helped too.So I had my chiro visit, and I think I can hit the gym is a bit.

Oh, and not fitness-related, per say, but I realized that in a week I have my first visit with a CNM. It's a well woman visit, but hopefully I'll be able to work with her when I'm actually pregnant!

Come ponder with me about food!
#70 of 633 Old 09-26-2006, 12:12 AM

Well... I guess I fulfilled part of my plan. I went to the yoga class. And I found out that since I've been gone, the studio has apparently changed hands, and now they only do pre-registration for classes in "shadow yoga" and you have to start with foundations. I feel half : and half :. To think I waited all summer for them to start up again! Meanwhile I'm not crazy about the other local studios. But I guess I'd better check them out.

Quote:
Wow, that's impressive!

Quote:
I'm doing moderately not too bad on my plan. I've been managing the diet modification part quite well. (I suppose it helps that I've started out really slowly.) As for the meditation, I managed 5 minutes today before I thought I'd used up my 15 minute break at work. The exercise . . . that will have to wait until tonight.
Yay, bravo!
#71 of 633 Old 09-26-2006, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Drink or nibble are my options, so I drink.
I wish I could drink half as much as you! That's a lot.
Quote:
I started my diet part well... and then yesterday I some not tortellini : The best part was: they weren't even that good. That should teach me not to buy such things. So today I'm back to eating better, I just have no idea what to eat. I wish someone would just cook for me!
But I've been having breakfast everyday now, even if it's just a yogurt. And I'm drinking almost 2L a day.

How did the exercise go?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxie View Post
Well... I guess I fulfilled part of my plan. I went to the yoga class. And I found out that since I've been gone, the studio has apparently changed hands, and now they only do pre-registration for classes in "shadow yoga" and you have to start with foundations. I feel half : and half :. To think I waited all summer for them to start up again! Meanwhile I'm not crazy about the other local studios. But I guess I'd better check them out.
That's not nice! You can't take the yoga class you wanted unless you take a foundation class first? Maybe you'll find another studio you like.
#72 of 633 Old 09-26-2006, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

Yooooooohoooooooooo!
ATD Mom, Karen, Jess, Lisa, Jonna and Andrea haven't posted in the last 2 pages. Where are you? Working out, I hope?
#73 of 633 Old 09-26-2006, 08:24 AM

Quote:
I wish I could drink half as much as you! That's a lot.

I started my diet part well... and then yesterday I some not tortellini : The best part was: they weren't even that good. That should teach me not to buy such things. So today I'm back to eating better, I just have no idea what to eat. I wish someone would just cook for me!
But I've been having breakfast everyday now, even if it's just a yogurt. And I'm drinking almost 2L a day.

How did the exercise go?
The water isn't really that impressive. It might help tp explain that my job is mind-numbingly boring and that I have an oral fixation. Something has to be in my mouth. Drinking water stops me from eating junk all day or chewing on pens.

The reason that I made my plan in steps is so that I could find my tolerance level. Eventually, my diet will be so healthy that I won't be able to do it. I'm not being pessimistic, I'm just being a realist. I need to find my tolerance level. Can I eat heaping plates of vegetables and fish while limiting processed junk to three times a week? Probably. If I started out that way, however, I would start cheating instantly and then quit my plan when the word "failure" started ringing in my ears.

You should be a little easier on yourself. Lifestyle changes are hard to adopt when you don't give yourself room for mistakes.

I did the weight training. Lazy exercise for a lazy day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxie View Post
They won't make an exception?
#74 of 633 Old 09-26-2006, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

MsHelena:
The boring job does explain a lot, I'm sure I'll up my water intake when I start studying next week. It's funny how boredom/studying can give me an oral fixation.
I think I'll buy some nuts to snack on, my apetite has been huge, and I know it won't get better when univ. starts.

Anyone have ideas for healthy, cheap, crunchy snacks? I can only think of carrots and not-so-cheap nuts. Apples make my stomach uncomfortable.
#75 of 633 Old 09-26-2006, 11:06 AM

It was incredibly easy for me to drink 4-5 mini-nalgenes of water a day when I had a boring desk job over the summer. It was when the kids I watch started school again that I started slacking off. It's more difficult because I have to time my drinking around when I need to pick them up from school (which involves sitting in the car for 20-45 minutes) so I'm not doing a potty dance in the front seat waiting for them to get out of school.

I did not exercise yesterday. I really feel like I don't have the time. I do have the 2.5 hours that I usually spend online at the library, but I don't want to waste gas driving home and back and there's no good place/way for me to exercise closer to the school without paying for a gym membership (which is NOT an option). If I exercise in the evening, I feel like I'm taking that time away from DH, which I have learned from experience is not helping my case on the having-a-baby-ASAP front.

Isabel, I can't think of much. I like sunflower seeds, but they're usually right up there with nuts as far as price. I usually have cut up apples or semi-healthy crackers or chips. I despise carrots.

#76 of 633 Old 09-26-2006, 11:12 AM

Oh wow..
you NMY's love to post a LOT at the moment!
Haven't read the 4 pages yet but wanted to put on record that so far this week I have:
Monday - Walked dog briskly for 45 minutes
Tuesday - Water Aerobics for 1 hour

I have also eaten pretty well and drunk plenty of water.

Must sleep now...
jess x

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#77 of 633 Old 09-26-2006, 11:34 AM

Quote:
I did not exercise yesterday. I really feel like I don't have the time. I do have the 2.5 hours that I usually spend online at the library, but I don't want to waste gas driving home and back and there's no good place/way for me to exercise closer to the school without paying for a gym membership (which is NOT an option). If I exercise in the evening, I feel like I'm taking that time away from DH, which I have learned from experience is not helping my case on the having-a-baby-ASAP front.
You could always wake up earlier. : Hmm. I know you have a special pre-conception exercise plan that you want to do, but how about just getting up and moving? You could take a 30 minute walk at the library or you could ask DH to go with you when you get home. That way, you'd be getting some exercise in without losing DH time.

Water - I'm on my first .5L today. I only brought 2 with me to work. Anything else I drink will have to be at home.
#78 of 633 Old 09-26-2006, 11:35 AM

Yesterday I did some bellydancing! I had no candy or soda (not that hard to do).
But I'm slacking on the daily stretching and meditating. And I can't drink so much water on weekdays. I work with kids and I can't just leave the kid whenever I want to go to the bathroom, so I'm having trouble drinking all the water I want. I have to go to the bathroom 1-2 times an hour if I drink the right amount of water.

Wife to J. Mama to DD(3yo) & DS(1yo)
#79 of 633 Old 09-26-2006, 11:35 AM

Ok, after getting my homework done, I finally went to the gym. I usually go during the middle of the day when very few people are there, but last night there were tons. I managed another 20 minutes on the elliptical (though it seemed much harder than last time), and did some nautilus-type weight lifting.

But my diet yesterday? Oy. DH and I went out for breakfast, and I had blueberry pancakes and coffee. Several diet sodas, some water at the gym, and ... cheddar goldfish (at least they were whole-grain). I just couldn't bring myself to make anything decent to eat. And I want to get rid of the diet soda in the house-can't let it go to waste.

I'm at school today, so hopefully I can get some walking in, and some better food.

#80 of 633 Old 09-26-2006, 11:38 AM

Quote:
you could ask DH to go with you when you get home.
We do this 3-5 times a week, more when the weather is real nice. We walk to the library, the in-laws' house, to get milk, and just to get out of the apartment. But I don't count it as exercise. I guess I'm stuck on the idea of "real" cardio, and I really hate running, swimming, and other similar cheap and easy traditional cardio exercises.

#81 of 633 Old 09-26-2006, 12:20 PM

Quote:
We do this 3-5 times a week, more when the weather is real nice. We walk to the library, the in-laws' house, to get milk, and just to get out of the apartment. But I don't count it as exercise. I guess I'm stuck on the idea of "real" cardio, and I really hate running, swimming, and other similar cheap and easy traditional cardio exercises.
Walking isn't cardio? I always throught it was light cardio. I suppose it depends on the type of walk.

Umm . . . exercise ideas that don't require a gym and/or can be done with DH . . .

Rollerskating/blading (guessing you hate this one?)
Frisbee
Umm . . . biking
Playing soccer/catch/volleyball/tennis
Jumping rope (another hated one?)
Taking dance lessons (might want to check YMCAs)

Anything that gets your heartrate up to a certain level is cardio, right?
#82 of 633 Old 09-26-2006, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Walking isn't cardio? I always throught it was light cardio. I suppose it depends on the type of walk.

Umm . . . exercise ideas that don't require a gym and/or can be done with DH . . .

Rollerskating/blading (guessing you hate this one?)
Frisbee
Umm . . . biking
Playing soccer/catch/volleyball/tennis
Jumping rope (another hated one?)
Taking dance lessons (might want to check YMCAs)

Anything that gets your heartrate up to a certain level is cardio, right?
I guess walking is light cardio and it might be a huge thing for people who drive everywhere, but we don't, so it's just a normal thing to me, not exercise.

Great list! Thanks a lot. Rollerblading is definitely an option until it starts to snow. I should do that. Sports (even frisbee) are not my thing. We don't own a jump rope. Dance lessons will definitely get looked into if DH gets the job he is interviewing for today. Otherwise, though, we can't afford them. Also, I get out of work right about the time most evening classes start (6-6:30pm).

#83 of 633 Old 09-26-2006, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I guess walking is light cardio and it might be a huge thing for people who drive everywhere, but we don't, so it's just a normal thing to me, not exercise.

Great list! Thanks a lot. Rollerblading is definitely an option until it starts to snow. I should do that. Sports (even frisbee) are not my thing. We don't own a jump rope. Dance lessons will definitely get looked into if DH gets the job he is interviewing for today. Otherwise, though, we can't afford them. Also, I get out of work right about the time most evening classes start (6-6:30pm).
When I go for "exercise walks" they generally entail holding a 26 lb 2.5 year old and being dragged around by a 50 lb dog.

The exercise that I would REALLY like to try is some sort of backpacking/rock climbing. Maybe I'll try to learn to ski again. I tried to learn once and fell down a mountain . . .
#84 of 633 Old 09-26-2006, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Yooooooohoooooooooo!
ATD Mom, Karen, Jess, Lisa, Jonna and Andrea haven't posted in the last 2 pages. Where are you? Working out, I hope?
I have succeeded in uping my water intake and have started eating breakfast again. As for exercise, I am sort of getting over a mild injury (my sciatic nerve I think) so I dont want to do much more than stretching right now but hopefully I will be able to get my butt in gear in a week!

Quote:
When I go for "exercise walks" they generally entail holding a 26 lb 2.5 year old and being dragged around by a 50 lb dog.

The exercise that I would REALLY like to try is some sort of backpacking/rock climbing. Maybe I'll try to learn to ski again. I tried to learn once and fell down a mountain . . .
I have a 90lb rott so walking is definitely cardio for me as she drags me most of the time My husband and I both rock climb and its alot of fun... have you checked to see if there is a rock climbing gym in your area?

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

#85 of 633 Old 09-26-2006, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LipsLikeSugar View Post
I have a 90lb rott so walking is definitely cardio for me as she drags me most of the time My husband and I both rock climb and its alot of fun... have you checked to see if there is a rock climbing gym in your area?
No . . . Honestly, it's never really occurred to me. It was always more of an idea for something to do in the distant future. I think I'll look for one when I get home from work.
#86 of 633 Old 09-26-2006, 11:18 PM

I got lucky with the gym thing. Our condo assoc. has a gym. : The fee is included in our COA fee. I'm not much of a gym person, but since it's already paid for, I go to walk on the treadmill sometimes when I don't feel like walking outside.

I don't know if any of you have Netflix, but Netflix has a lot of pretty good exercise/fitness/health-related videos. I have about twenty on my list that I want to try.

I did the belly dance video again today! And I stretched! I ate a lot today, but it was all fairly healthy/wholesome.

Keep up the good work everyone!! You can do it!

I really like this thread! It really does motivate me. Thanks to Jess for the idea, and to Isabel for starting it.

Wife to J. Mama to DD(3yo) & DS(1yo)
#87 of 633 Old 09-27-2006, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maela View Post
I don't know if any of you have Netflix, but Netflix has a lot of pretty good exercise/fitness/health-related videos. I have about twenty on my list that I want to try.
Yeah, I've gotten a lot of exercise dvds from netflix. I've got a yoga one on it's way now that I'm excited to try (not for exercise, more for stress relief/relaxation). I really like the dvds that are more dancing type exercises b/c I can stay interested and motivated. I get bored with regular aerobic exercises.

I haven't done too well today. I was really tired this morning after having stayed up late the night before studying (ok, and on being on mdc ). Anyway, after my classes I came home and took a looong nap. When I woke up I had homework to do and I didn't feel like cooking, so I ate some junk food and drank 2 regular sodas (which I've been trying to cut out of my diet). I didn't have enough water and I feel really crappy now. The rest of my week is pretty busy, so I'm really going to start with eating better and exercising this weekend. :
#88 of 633 Old 09-27-2006, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieMC View Post
I didn't feel like cooking, so I ate some junk food and drank 2 regular sodas (which I've been trying to cut out of my diet)...
Can you drink juice diluted in water? I found that my favorite juices with bubbly water and a bit of lime was really nice.

ETA: Also wanted to add, I'm amending my fitness plan.

- check out gym & probably join
- hiking once a fortnight
- find new yoga center

in that order.

Hiking will be this weekend esp if the good weather holds, we're not terribly busy lately...
#89 of 633 Old 09-27-2006, 09:15 AM

Hooray for hiking-do you have a state park near you, Sphinxie?

#90 of 633 Old 09-27-2006, 11:02 AM

Netflix would be a great idea if the fitness DVDs at the library weren't so... free. I really need to find some kind of cardio workout video that I can do when it's rainy/cold/snowy, which is about 9 months out of the year, here.

Yesterday I did not do any exercise. We spent the evening with the in-laws and by the time we got home after 9pm, DH persuaded me to go to bed instead of working out. But I did drink all my water yesterday!

I got out my rollerblades this morning and during the half hour that I usually sit in the car waiting for the library to open, I rollerbladed instead! I had one wipe-out and managed to get a small hole in my pants : Also, I passed the scene of a car accident and got a glimpse of a person on a stretcher, which was no fun. But other than that, it was a beautiful morning to get a little cardio in.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page