another ? for runners - feeling like I have to pee the whole time - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-28-2006, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi!

I have another newbie question! Sorry to be so graphic, but I really need some help here.

I feel like I have to pee the whole time that I am running, even if I have just emptied my bladder. Sometimes I feel like I am actually leaking urine, and I think I do a tiny bit. It is so umcomfortable the whole time - I feel the pressure intensly the whole time I am jogging/walking - it is INTENSE pressure the ENTIRE time - It's all I can focus on. I had to stop yesterday just 20 min into the run, but only a tiny bit of urine came out when I tried to empty my bladder - I could have sworn by the sensation that I had a FULL bladder and then some. I don't feel this sensation when I am just walking.

Is this normal??
Will this go away?
How do I deal with this? More Kegels?
Will I ever be able to run long distances? I wonder how I would ever be able to run 1-2 hours straight -I don't think my bladder could handle it! Am I a lost cause?

I'm wondering if the 3 hours and 10 minutes of HARD pushing DS into this world after 36 hours of labor is the reason. Am I doomed forever?

Help! Thanks!
#2 of 3 Old 09-28-2006, 04:19 PM

i dont have much advice, but my friend who i run with she pees all the time during our long runs. she has run over 20 some marathons so i have no idea how she runs a marathon without having to go pee. oh yeah shes elite too. she runs sub 3 hour marathons. i run marathons as well but my bladder does seem to shut down as i run. my only suggestion is dont drink anything before you run. and if you dont then relax your bladder and maybe it go away. i have only a few times had to really go the bathroom so bad i couldn't concentrate on finshing my run but i did pee alot. so as far as you not peeing alot and having to feel like you do, im sorry i dont really know. maybe ask your doctor. I'm sure its pretty common. and kegels will only help the pee not to come out. i have had four kids including a set of twins in there and i could probably benefit from kegels but i dont do them. anyways hope you find out whats going on. sorry i couldnt help any.
#3 of 3 Old 09-28-2006, 04:39 PM

Kegels, kegels, kegels!

Oh, and you might want to make sure you don't have a bladder infection. That can make you feel like you need to pee, even if you don't. I completely disagree with not drinking before a run. You need to be well hydrated for your body to work properly and get the most out of your workout.

TMI question - what are you wearing on your bottom while you run? If something is rubbing on you, I think that could cause the "need to pee" sensation.

If it were me, I would keep running. This may go away on its own.. (especially if you are kegeling like mad) But then, I run through pretty much anything, so I might be the wrong person to ask.

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page