WITCH way are you running, mama? (Running Mamas October) - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-09-2006, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Ok, ladies. My coffee drinking is out of control.

I'm awakened at least twice a night, generally more like 4 times. I have to make 3 homework assignments and 2 lectures each week, plus I have a lab and students to manage. I'm now drinking at least 4 c per day.

Give me your best. Help me cut back.

takes one to know one.
I'm guilty as well. I can quit anytime I want, really....

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2006, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Arm twisting (and teaching) 63 graduate students to write themselves professional, positive web pages.
Sounds like a good project. At UMD they require masters students to do them. I've never done one because up until about 2 months ago I had barely enough webspace for my own email, never mind a webpage too.
Quote:
Keep your comments to yourself, kerc
:

(newbies to the thread: I got my masters degree from the esteemed institution at which Geofizz is now a prof. good school. crappy department that has seen a lot of changes).

Old 10-09-2006, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post

takes one to know one.
I'm guilty as well. I can quit anytime I want, really....
junkie here too :

bbm - hope you feel better soon!

wendy - good luck with your service project - wow.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:20 PM

Geofizz, what a great project!!! Good luck to you with cutting back on coffee. I've done that a couple times in the past. It was easier to cut the regular with some decaf over time. I just love coffee. So. Much!!! I buy green beans and roast them myself, I love it so much!!!
Old 10-09-2006, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylAnn View Post
I just love coffee. So. Much!!! I buy green beans and roast them myself, I love it so much!!!

That sounds SOOOOO fun. Yeah, I need another thing to keep me busy, like I need a hole in my head.

Old 10-09-2006, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylAnn View Post
It was easier to cut the regular with some decaf over time. I just love coffee. So. Much!!! I buy green beans and roast them myself, I love it so much!!!
I was just going to say that too. Not the roasting my own beans bit (holy smokes! That is true devotion to a good cup of joe : )

BBM - hope you feel better fast!

Wawoof - Nice job! Fast fast fast!

Janessa - What are your secrets? (if you don't mind me asking?) I figure I've got about 20 pounds to lose to get back in my clothes and feeling good. DH took some pictures yesterday that inadvertently would make great "before" pictures. Now I just have to really set my sights on the "after".

Missbliss - what's sparkpeople?

Ran my 2 today, I think I'm definitely made for longer runs though. By the time it was time to stop I was just feeling really good.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 10-09-2006, 03:32 PM

hey all due to my sever lack of activity post ultra i feel like i have really picked up weight and am starting this pregnancy heavier than i would have wanted to, guess i can't really diet now, but going to watch what i eat and wog more.

Wawoof: way to go on the race

BBM: get better soon

Geofizz: i love coffe and and trying to be so good and not have any now i m pregnant.

No walk today had a moms group and a generally busy day- hope to try again tomorrow
Old 10-09-2006, 03:36 PM

Yeah...like I need another so many hobbies. I should post pics and process on my blog sometime. It's pretty easy and inexpensive.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:38 PM

missbliss~I'm getting back on spark people too, we'll commit together!

geo~I, too, have gotten way out of hand (for me) with the coffee. cutting back too.

eksmom~you back and swamped at work today?

The pubic pain started when I did the hip stablizing exercises. Maybe that's why you are having pain there, your hips arent' stable either?

no runnign today, day off, but did get 20 minutes of pilates and 20 minutes of yoga this morning, then all day running around. doctor for chest pain (they think it's nothing ), and lab for blood work (for those night sweats).

We spent the weekend out of town in southern Indiana at a cabin (non heated) for a family reunion on dh's side. It was okay. Went to run 5 on Saturday and the park we were in was so small I only got in 3 miles. Although the first 1/3 mile was straight down hill and the last 1/3 mile was straight up said hill.

Then I was supposed to run 13 yesterday, and besides being unmotivated (having to pack the cabin up, and then drive home 2 hours) my shoes were killing my shins (STILL waiting on store to get my shoes in). I pushed ds2 in jogger for the first few miles then did 6+ on the treadmill to do just under 9 total. I figured it was better than nothing right? (and pushing 60+lbs as many of you know is no easy feat!)

got to get a grocery list together, do some laundry and dishes, finish putting together cub scouts craft, and check the check book.

love to you ladies!!

Lisa
Old 10-09-2006, 03:40 PM

Plady, Here is the link sparkpeople is a free weightloss/healthy habits/fitness etc website where you can track fitness, calories, nutrients, etc. I started using it to track food when I went off dairy to make sure I was consuming enough nutrients, but not overdoing it on fat. Then I got lazy and stopped tracking and stopped losing. I really think it is a great tool that you can use as much or as little as necessary.

As for coffee, yep, for the first time in a few years, I am now back to my totally addicted state. I blame my mom. It wasn't until I visited her for a week in Aug. that I got hooked again
Old 10-09-2006, 04:30 PM

if somebody cracks the code and discovers anything remotely as satisfying as coffee, lemme know tea just doesn't do it for me

feeling : here, i think i've officially caught the bug my son brought home from kindergarten. no puking, but feeling yuk in general

still running my mile loop every other day - no big whoop. need to seriously take it up a notch.

grnmtn - nice clapotis [that sounds an awfully lot like i am complimenting a female body part] this is what is on my needles right now, quick and easy aww

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

Old 10-09-2006, 04:40 PM

You mean there are people out there who don't drink coffee????: I wouldn't trust them
Old 10-09-2006, 04:45 PM

hi!

behind, as usual, with the thread.

and in a hurry today, so i'll be quick.

wawoof, AWESOME RACE! congratulations and i'm so happy you felt good!

kerc, THANK YOU SO MUCH for the package for ds! it is awesome. we really appreciate it and will put the clothes to much use. as for the little book "Hello Frieght Train," it is his new favorite. seriously, i have read it at least 2 dozen times since we got the package on Saturday. he LOVES it. he is totally fascinated by the train-crossing gates in real life, this book is like candy for him. i hope you are able to get nearly as much use out of the package i sent you as we will the one you sent us. Thank you.

runs have been good lately. didn't get to do the 5k i wanted to do Friday (dh pulled his back a bit that day so it just wasn't meant to be). i'm going to try to do one on the 21st, but we already have a halloween festival in the am and a bday party in the pm, so i'm not sure it'll fit.

monika and those who run with jogging strollers: do your kids love harvest season? ds is just delighted with all the pumkin spotting to be done while in the stroller on our runs with halloween coming soon. "punkin. big!" "punkin. tiny!" "punkin punkin punkin"

me dh ds1 (11/04) ds2 (7/10) and
Old 10-09-2006, 05:32 PM

I've been using sparkpeople.com to track food. Really no secret except staying under the calories I should be eating and the running. The biggest thing it did is help me get my portions under control again. I've had a really hard time with that since I moved to the states hence the 80 pound weight gain

Wendy-- yeah I guess it is a round and around lol still less crazy making the the track though for me lol. Off to look at parks and rec to see if there are any possibilities there I don't drink coffee but I had it bad for coke for maby years. I cut it out completly 9 weeks ago (I've had 3 in that time period) it sucked but I find I'menjoying the ritual of making and sitting with a nice cup of herbal tea.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinseed View Post
You mean there are people out there who don't drink coffee????: I wouldn't trust them

I am down to 1.5 cups in the morning plus one (or so) diet beverages : I did that (which was cutting down for me) by realizing that I actually felt worse when I had more coffee (or diet beverages)...so it wasn't too hard. But other than that....I mean really, what else is coffee for?

I ran about four miles today, my usual loop and then when I realized that dh had gone to the store with a very incomplete list I ran back to the store and finished shopping with them. So just call me "runs to Publix."

welcome hmsmomma! Sounds like a great weekend to me.

plady--I did weight watchers and still do. It's great for me bc I really need the structure...I've never been able to keep weight off on my own. They have some good online stuff. The lovely dingoes were witness to my 50 lb transformation before getting pg with Mr. J. : However, it took me a full year to take all the pregnancy weight back off.

too much stuff to do...must call HBM, I am a bad friend with too many errands. The ILs arrive Thursday, parent conferences tomorrow, picture day Wednesday, and a million little thingies. :
Old 10-09-2006, 07:29 PM

I think that I just washed diapers for the last time. DD2 has been potty trained for some time now, but still wanted a diaper for nights, even though I suspected that she would be fine if she wanted to. Last week she had a super red, burned-like bum from her pee-soaked diaper. She has gotten this in the past, too. It just looks awful. She was complaining about it, and I told her that if she didn't want a sore butt, that she needs to wear underpants to bed. And so she has, ever night since. Now I must figure out if I am going to sell them, and how.

No run today. DH and slept too long. : He is now on his way to CT for an overnight job and won't be home until tomorrow night. Kind of relishing the alone time, although I already miss him. Weird?

To all the people wanting to shed some pounds. I AM ON BOARD. I am now 12 lbs heavier than my lowest some months ago, when I wanted to drop another 5 or so. I finally feel that my digestive issues are on the mend, and now I need to stop giving myself license to eat whatever I want. I currently don't have any pants to wear, because the newest ones I bought don't fit and my "fat" pants just don't work some how. I am getting tired of living in yoga pants all the time. So, back to Eat to Live. 2bbs, you are inspiration to many of us!

Oh, and coffee?? I am happily sticking to my 2 or so cups a day. Can only give up so many things at once, ya know?

Now, off to make that super healthy dinner. DD1 actually requested red chard.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:40 PM

poppy - those booties are awesome. i made a pair in that pattern for a friend's baby.

coffee - um, the easiest way to cure yourself of drinking coffee is to develop a terrible case of eczema every time you have some. now i'm addicted to green tea. coffee was never really a problem for me cause i was too particular to drink work coffee (seriously, yuck) so my to-go cup was all I got unless someone was buying Starbucks or something.

CherylAnn - that's so cool that you roast your own beans!

Ran 40 minutes on the trails today, was a lovely warm run and so glad that I got out.

Time to go hang out with the family and make some dinner. thanks for all the comments on my knitting!
Old 10-09-2006, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
Oh, and coffee?? I am happily sticking to my 2 or so cups a day. Can only give up so many things at once, ya know?
See, 2 cups would be a reasonable amount. Lately, I'm drinking 4-5 cups, and not small cups of it, either.

I drank my morning thermos (~12 oz) and that was it. I tanked up on water all day and by 3 pm I was seeing stars. I think my blood pressure tanked. I know that I avoid headaches by seriously upping my exercise, so I will get >30 min intense exercise EVERY DAY THIS WEEK.

I'll bring some green tea to my office tomorrow. Today I had 3 emergen-cs when I wanted coffee and I'm peeing fluorescent pee now. Hmmmm.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:05 PM

geo, can you switch to lattes? espresso, cappucinos, lattes have less caffeine per cup than brewed. i drink a giant latte first thing in the morning and a second one mid-morning. you get less of a coffee buzz than drinking the same amount brewed and a more flavorful, enjoyablel, tasty cup of jo, imo. 'course you gotta stand there brewing it while the kids fight 'cause they're waiting for breakfast, but first thing's first, iykwim.

plady - yeah i get the zits big time on my chest. yuck!

mamabeth, i'm off to your website in a sec to see if you've written about the divorce court. sounds awful!

poppy and grnmtnmama, great booties. i'm ready to make a moebius scarf but i'm making myself finish ds's scarf from last year first.

moonshine, congrats on the potty training.

wawoof, congrats on the awesome race!

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
Old 10-09-2006, 09:15 PM

Coffee addict here too...It always starts so innocently...I've been making myself drink tea(Rooibos or chamomile) in the afternoon but sometimes it just sounds so good.

Took ds for a walk on this lovely 75 degree afternoon. I am sure it will be the last for the weather at least. And boy is he getting heavy in the mei tai. But he is so sweet about snuggling I'll do it till he won't. The neighborhood folks think I am a little weird but I've never seen a happier 2 year old than my little guy bopping along on my back.

Probably will run tomorrow morning instead of day off...Looks like rain and "mix" heading this way later in the week. Wow I love Ohio. Sunny 75 Monday, Cold and snow possible Friday. :
Old 10-09-2006, 09:16 PM

Geezz I keep forgetting...

Wawoof you rock!! Awesome time mama!
Old 10-09-2006, 11:05 PM

for knitting runners, here's a funny youtube short called "The Last Knit"

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
Old 10-09-2006, 11:33 PM

There you are, loftmama! I've been missing you somehow. Waiting for the link to load...slow connection tonight.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Hi mamas...

I am hopelessly behind on the thread after spending last week at the beach. I've been half-skimming, half-reading along.

Can I throw my hat in the ring for the buckling down on eating/exercise/weight loss? I recommitted to mine yesterday. I haven't been on the scale since we got home and I'm going to avoid it for an undetermined length of time (I normally weigh every morning, keeps me honest). But so far, so good. I don't know if I have the self-discipline at the moment, but maybe if we all support each other...

2bbs, I am so, so, so inspired by you. I am seriously proud of you. Can we see pics? I have been thinking of you especially these last couple of days as I have buckled down. I think your example has kept me in line a few times when I wanted to slack or give in to temptation.

I have never tried sparkpeople but I am still using Fitday. I have so much custom food entered in there after 2 years of using it off and on. I won't tell you how many different flavors/brands of ice cream I've entered - in my defense the vast majority of them are light/lowfat!

Mamabeth, I too am watching your blog for the report on divorce court. And I love your new layout. It is beautimous.

I have never been a big coffee drinker mostly because I am not confident in my ability to make a good pot of it. I love hot tea and am one of those strange ones who puts milk in her tea. My favorite is Yogi Redbush Chai.

moonshine, congrats on the switch to undies at nighttime! EK is out of diapers but not all the way into undies. I think I am going to sell some of mine. I took them to the beach with me and stripped them in the soft water there (ours here is incredibly hard).

Kerc we got the package and EK is wearing one of the "pull-ups" right now. That is what they are being called around here to promote acceptance to my formerly cloth-diapered pull-up addict. She seemed pretty pleased, and I know I am!

HBM, I am glad you are home and I hope you feel better soon. I am sorry you have been through such an ordeal. I have been thinking of you.

Sorry for such lame-o personals... I will try to do a better job. I miss all of y'all. I ended up running about 3 times at the beach plus the 50 mile bike ride. I didn't run yesterday but did 3 miles today. I have another cold so it wasn't the most pleasant run, but I got it done.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

Old 10-10-2006, 12:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2babybees View Post
Probably will run tomorrow morning instead of day off...Looks like rain and "mix" heading this way later in the week. Wow I love Ohio. Sunny 75 Monday, Cold and snow possible Friday. :
I guess I'm glad to be 130 mi south of you.

Just ran 2 miles in 21:15 for my beat-the-headache-with-exercise approach. Hey, it's fast for me.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

I was just updating my training log, and it turns out that if I stick to what I laid out mileage-wise for this week, I will break 1000 miles for the year on Saturday.

But you wanna know what's funny? I still don't feel like a jock. Or an athlete, even (assuming "jock" has connotations beyond just participating in a sport). I've gotta give this one some thought.

Old 10-10-2006, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
Can I throw my hat in the ring for the buckling down on eating/exercise/weight loss? I recommitted to mine yesterday. I haven't been on the scale since we got home and I'm going to avoid it for an undetermined length of time (I normally weigh every morning, keeps me honest). But so far, so good. I don't know if I have the self-discipline at the moment, but maybe if we all support each other...

2bbs, I am so, so, so inspired by you. I am seriously proud of you. Can we see pics? I have been thinking of you especially these last couple of days as I have buckled down. I think your example has kept me in line a few times when I wanted to slack or give in to temptation.
:

I should say that my openly declaring that I want to fix up my diet and lose weight is a part of a bigger I-want/need-to-take-care-of-myself-better picture. My skin looks awful, my body hurts in all sorts of places in addition to the weight that needs to go. I did a yoga class after work last night and it felt awesome. So I am definitely on the right path.

Speaking of which, I should go to bed now...
Old 10-10-2006, 02:54 AM

Sigh. I'm not much of a runner, lately. Haven't run now since last Mon. I'm frantically trying to get Halloween costumes done, and the my job is nuts too. Caught a nice big baby boy tonight, too.

eksmom - I had the funniest dream night before last. I dreamt that the senior partner in my practice was insisting that I had to go to Virginia for work (I don't know why, that part of the dream wasn't very coherent.) I kept arguing and arguing that I didn't want to leave my kids or dh, and that I hated traveling. Most of the dream had that anxious, unhappy sort of feel as we were arguing. Then, all of a sudden, I realized that I was going to YOUR town! And I was so happy! I was going to get to run with eksmom - and we could go out to lunch and thumb our noses at your coworkers. And then I woke up, and it turns out I don't get to go to your house, and I was pretty bummed. It was just so funny that I could get so excited about something in a dream!

Have to go to bed. Will have to try some more personals another time.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:01 AM

Hilarious knitting video, loftmama!!!

eksmom, welcome home! I'm with you on the jock/athlete thing. In order to keep that from happening to my kids I refer to their dance classes as athletic endeavors. But it doesn't fit me. I'm still a drama geek.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

DrJen, your dream is cracking me up. Especially the part about thumbing our noses at my coworkers. I feel quite honored. I'd be up for a run with you in a heartbeat. :

Actually, I should let y'all know, since you have been so supportive about my evil coworkers - things are looking up with my job. I saw an opportunity about to pass me by and spoke up - and now I am providing statistical consultation for the newly formed research department of the hospital (actually, DrJen, you might be interested to know that we are changing from a health system to a clinic model - i.e. trying to copy Mayo or Cleveland Clinic... pretty exciting undertaking). If things grow enough to the point that the research dept. has an open position for a statistician, it would pretty much be mine. I have been having so much fun working with these people. Not only is the work interesting, but these folks are normal! They talk, and laugh, and they're not bitter. It's been great so far. I'm still in my old office with my evil coworkers, but at least I have this bright spot.

Cheryl - I'm definitely a wannabe jock. It's in my personality - maybe little tomboys grow up to be jocks sometimes? But it troubles me that I am on target to run over 1000 miles in 2006 and yet somehow I keep trying to convince myself that I'm an athlete.

Speaking of, I was going to run this morning, but DD ended up in the bed with us last night and I was enjoying the snuggles too much... so I'll get it in later today.

Have a great day everyone!

User Tag List