WITCH way are you running, mama? (Running Mamas October) - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-13-2006, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sorry i am behind but i feel like a bus has hit me. I have been going to bed at about 8pm the last few days which is not like me. I usually got to be at 1 or 2 am but i can't keep my eyes open past 8pm what a shock for me

Those who have had 2 or more how different were each of your pregnancies? This one ( all 5 weeks of it ) just feels different i was so ill with dd and this time nothing yet touch wood, my skin was also clear with dd and this time i look like a teenager again! I really want another girl but have a feeling this might not be. I ALWAYS ovulate on day 14 and this time it was 2 days early so my planned stopping in time for a girl went out the window.

EKmom- i love Labbies, we have always had them, such great dogs. Sorry you are going through such a rough time my dh and i went through a patch too, well we still do but he works off shore and so is away a lot and the time apart really helps. I know it would not be quite the same but sometimes you just need your own thinking space. Hope you find the answer

HBM: i really hope that you are on the mend now and can really enjoy bonding with your baby.

Shantimama: that soup sounds wonderful, we don't really get parsnips here so i will have to look out for them

Moonshine: did you find a sitter?

greenmntmama- congrats for ds birthday, it was my mom's birthday yesterday

Wawoof: i always land up without a change of clothes the one day i really need them. My dd moans about the sun in her eyes all the time. I have not found a solution as she does not want the stroller covered coz she still wants to see

Monica- i also had a bursitis and inj into the hip, they did help bbut what really helped was correcting the problem causing the bursitis. I went to a biokinesistst ( ?sp looks like to many stst : ) I was able to run my ultra in the end after i started training slowly again.

I have 10 names for merry mailers card exchange and will put the list together to pm this weekend. Greenmntmama and Jenlove you have not pm'ed me your details, you guys said you were keen. Anyone else please pm me your name and address and kids names for the card exchange

going to try get another walk in this weekend if i don't fall over sleeping on my feet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2006, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Along the lines of the coffee/tea discussion... I found some really good tea... especially if you are weird like me and like to put milk in it. It's made by Stash, and it's Chocolate Hazelnut. It's decaf. It actually sort of tastes like coffee to me more than tea, but it is so good. I have been smelling the teabag when I take it out of the package.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

Old 10-13-2006, 01:41 PM

DD has a big book of 100 Mother Goose Nursery Rhymes illustrated by Mary Engelbreit. She absolutely loves the book (and so do I), and we read from it every day. Ever since the coffee discussion, and Shanti saying she doesn't like coffee but loves tea, I've wanted to post this:

Molly, my sister, and I fell out,
And what do you think it was all about?
She loved coffee and I loved tea,
And that was the reason we couldn't agree.

The illustration that goes with it is sooo cute. I wish I had a scanner so I could post a link.

Thanks for all the kind words about my hip. The Dr. didn't say anything about PT, and I didn't ask. He seemed to think this would work. I will go very slowly.. I'm going to walk for a week first, and see how that goes before even trying any running. Now that I know what I have, I'm finding out it is pretty common for runners. But I'm also finding lots of runners who have gotten over it and only had minor flare ups over the years, and that is good to hear.

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
Old 10-13-2006, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally Z View Post
I have 10 names for merry mailers card exchange and will put the list together to pm this weekend. Greenmntmama and Jenlove you have not pm'ed me your details, you guys said you were keen. Anyone else please pm me your name and address and kids names for the card exchange
Sally, can you tell me what this is? I missed a lot in the last couple of weeks.
Thanks!

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
Old 10-13-2006, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy View Post
Sally, can you tell me what this is? I missed a lot in the last couple of weeks.
Thanks!
I missed it too and am curious...
Old 10-13-2006, 03:12 PM

amara what kind of jogger do you have? I might have just missed it in the first question about the sun shade. We had a BOB jogger for a while and it had a rockin' sunshade. Is G sleeping or happy not being able to see? Maybe you could use a crib sheet or some other smaller fitted sheet draped over the sun shade you have?

I've been up for about 6 hours now. I cup of chai + 0.25 diet cokes. Pretty good for me. I apparently missed the coffee round at our house this morning by going over to a last minute playdate with mdc member kaybee and her son alex.

I have a lecture, get this, ready and it isn't even 10 minutes before class.

Sally both my pregnancies were really different and...I have two girls.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 10-13-2006, 03:14 PM

how sick to not run? I'm still really new at this and still REALLY scared of failing and going back to unhappy fat me.

I'm sick, head congestion, ears hurt, sore throat crappy cough. I postponed my scheduled run last night in part cause of that and the weather is just nasty here. I don't want to just be wimping out. I don't want to give myself easy excuses.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:20 PM

Lisa, oh, thank you! Having pictures would make it so clear!!!

eksmom What a tough decision! Do you have people near you IRL to be of support? That tea sounds yummy!

HBM, how are you doing?

Patti Ann, how are you doing?

SallyZ, all three of my pg's were different. Very different.

Janessa, drink lots of water and go for a little run. I think it actually helps me to feel better when I have a cold. Stomach bugs are different, but congestion moves through your body more quickly with exercise.

I'm all dressed in my running gear. Dh doesn't know that I'm running yet. He gets the kids at work for a while today while I do it. We are going to go look at a house right after lunch. I saw it without him, as he was out of town until last night. Cross your fingers for me that he likes it and we can make it work! Otherwise we will rent something in Nov. I can't stand to live in the boonies any more. The house we are showing him is big with lots of bedrooms (5+) but it smells like cat pee. We have to find a way to get that smell out or it won't work.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:34 PM

Ran for about 4.5 miles today. It was the first cold run I have had this season-wore shorts with a long sleeved top with a hood. I was fine, but K didn't have gloves/mittens on and was crying by the end I felt horrible-I thought she was just crying/whining because she wanted to get out-but then wouldn't get out when we stopped and was holding up her hands screaming-I felt horrible-I didn't think it was THAT cold out there-but I am not a good gauge, and my outdoor thermostat needs batteries. I will be buying her mittens this weekend

janessa-the usual sick while running rule is: if its from your neck up, run - if its below your neck take the day off. So with your symptoms it sounds like you can run-unless your cough is a chest cough-in that case, take the day off.

eksmom-

amara-we have the BOB ironman-huge sunshade-have you looked at one of those attachment thingies? I have never seen them "in action"-but have seen them in catalogs.

geo-hope your talk went well

kerc-woohoo-an prepared lecture! hope you got there on time Did you get your run in??

jenlove-how did your observation go yesterday??

monikita-loved your little witch pic! we have the sylvia long's huge book of mother goose rhymes-its K's favorite as well. We left it in NC at my dh's grandfather's house and he had to mail it back to us. His granddad was saying he would just wait and send it back with whoever visited him next (which most likely would be us in a few months!) and dh was trying to explain how important the book was to her-and he finally agreed to try to go to the postoffice to "figure out" how to send a package. I love him, but he is a "typical" older person-he is 88-and does not like to do anything different from his norm. DH told him to take the book and our address to the postoffice and that someone would be more than happy to direct him on what to do.

sallyz-hope you get some energy! I remember those fall on your face exhausted days I have heard that different pregnancies as well do not indicate different sexes. I have a girlfriend w. two girls who had VERY different pregnancies, from energy level, sickness, to the way she carried them. Both girls, but with VERY different personalities

CRebrun-I LOVED the monkey cupcakes! How did you make them?? It looked like a great day for a birthday party and baptism!

I was also waiting for an impending birth two years ago...she was two days early-her birthday is the 23rd. We are having a gathering next Saturday just for family and the godparents. Dh's family is so big-its hard having too many people here. We had a big party for her 1st bd, so it will be a little smaller this year. But I haven't planned to much for it...need to get started!

Good luck Kate~mom and CherylAnn on your 5ks this weekend!!
Old 10-13-2006, 05:10 PM

thanks for the rule of thumb Pumpkinseed (sorry I don't know your name) I think I'll have to take a miss on this run lots of wheezing going on and I'm probably going to have to pull the nebulizer out tonight if I want to be able to lay down without coughing ugh I hate asthma everything goes to my lungs.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:31 PM

Hi Mamas,

Been soooo busy, have been reading along but no time to post. I am sending hugs to all our Mamas facing sickness, difficulties, and injuries

Now off to NAP!

ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

Old 10-13-2006, 06:30 PM

kerc & pumpkinseed - i have a baby jogger, which has a pretty minimal shade. ds likes to see out so I need to find one that allows this...
Old 10-13-2006, 06:37 PM

[QUOTE=sally Z;6267885]
Those who have had 2 or more how different were each of your pregnancies? This one ( all 5 weeks of it ) just feels different i was so ill with dd and this time nothing yet touch wood, my skin was also clear with dd and this time i look like a teenager again! I really want another girl but have a feeling this might not be. I ALWAYS ovulate on day 14 and this time it was 2 days early so my planned stopping in time for a girl went out the window.

My second pregnancies felt alittle different than my first but was the same sex. Maybe it was psychological. I really wanted a girl at the time but had a second boy. My third pregnancy was deifnately different but there were two little girls in there. it probably was just different because of two rather than one. I was sick through all of them> alittle more with the girls but I still that was because of two, everything was doubled. So I dont think I could really tell the difference. I do know some people really think they can so I guess it's possible. Anyways, sorry that wasnt much help.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:47 PM

http://shopping.msn.com/prices/shp/?itemId=99186790 ?

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 10-13-2006, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post
twinsr4me~thanks for sharing how you get the miles in. and no injuries! It's sounds like it works out well to have your kids in the childcare for a few hours a day. Do you find that you need more sleep the higher your mileage goes and how do you compensate? When I read articles about elites running high mileage, they are usually napping. Do you spend the rest of the day interacting with your children (I dont' know their ages) and doing housework at night? Wish you could run the Chicago Marathon (even though you would probably finish hours ahead of me ) but I totally understand the distance/finance thing. That's one reason for my decision, it's close.

Lisa
After we go to the gym we come home for lunch and then I homeschool. I homeschool my two boys, 7 and 5.5. My girls are only three so they will start sometime in May after Boston . As far as sleeping, i feel like I get alot of sleep. Maybe too much. I usually fall asleep between 9-10 and wake up between 7-8. So thats about 10 hours a night. And I'm no where near elite. They can take a nap by the time I cross the finishline. My friend, I run with runs a sub three hour marathon, I am only at a 3:19 so far. Hopefully, Detroit I can knock off 9-10minutes. But thanks for thinking i could be elite .
Anyways gotta finish up school with my oldest, I'll chat later.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:29 PM

hi mamas!

totally behind, as usual.

monika, your witch is adorable. and sorry your hip is such a pain.

wawoof, i loved your fountain story. also adorable (although i'm sure it was difficult at the time!). i have friends who have a stroller shield like the one kerc showed, but i've only seen them use it for the bugs (mosquitos were really bad here this spring). i think it would drive my son insane though. are you looking for one for your big double stroller? that might be hard to find. also, i have some gorgeous photos of your family. i'll post them here once i upload them this weekend (finally). that ok?

kerc, in case you missed my thank you's for the package, i'll add one more here. the clothes is awesome and the book is his current favorite (tied with Go Dog Go).

HBM, oh my gosh, i'm so glad to hear you are doing better. best wishes for the rest of your recovery to be smooth and fast.

ummm... what else... good workout last night. really good run wednesday (monday's was slow and poundy). wednesday i did a run that is a bit longer than a 5k a bit slower than race pace. felt good. tomorrow and sunday i'll probably do 5 miles each.

happy friday!

me dh ds1 (11/04) ds2 (7/10) and
Old 10-13-2006, 08:58 PM

Pumpkinseed ~ It went well yesterday, thanks for asking. Once I was up in front of the class... I was at ease even if there were observers in the room. The lesson itself got better as it went along. It was a little chaotic getting all of the experiment supplies to each group, but I think that the experiment itself went well. Afterwards they shared some great observations they had. Their prediction skills are really good for 3rd graders too. They really impressed me.

The only things that the observers said needed improvement were things that we all should've seen coming. It was our job, as a group, to write the lesson. All I needed to do was follow it and see how it turned out. It was a lot less stressful than I made it out to be. Go figure! :

I'm running tomorrow. I missed 1 day... there's not enough hours in a day.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 10-13-2006, 09:24 PM

Been reading along, but not having time to post. Things are still crazy here. Gabriel is doing great. He is so sweet. I'm really missing my mom these days. I think I'm still in denial that she is just over in Ireland and visiting and will be home soon. They had a very nice memorial service for her at the hosital where she has worked for almost 28 years. They even flew the flag at half staff for her. I'm also missing Griffin these days too. I have this wonderful baby to snuggle, but part of me feels like my family is not complete and never will be. There will always be someone missing.

HBM-glad you are feeling better. I got the bead. Thanks. I will add it to the necklace and put it away for Gabriel.

loftmama-got the bead too. I will add it as well. How is the cross training going?

eksmom-Hugs to you mama. I hope you have a great weekend. I hope you can come to some peace with your decision. You have been doing everything you can. I think you have been very patient. If it was me I would have snapped a long time ago.

sally-All 5 of my pregnancies were very similiar and I had 3 boys and 2 girls so you never know. I got the shoes today and the cd. Can't wait to listen to it. The little shoes are too cute. None of my kids have ever had a pair like that. Thanks again. Hope you continue to feel well.

Lisa-Got the blanket on Saturday. It is gorgeous. Thanks. Gabriel looks so cute wrapped in it.

monikita-hope the hip heals quickly.

po6-nice to see you popping in here.

cherylann-Hope dh liked the house and you had a nice run.

Kerc-my birth story is almost finished. I will copy and paste it here when I get the chance.

Hi to everyone else. You are all in my thoughts daily. Wish I could respond to everyone, but I need to get dinner together before little man wakes up. My friend brought the dinner, but it still needs to be heated.

Hope to be able to post pictures soon. Jim ordered the camera and the body is the last piece to arrive on Monday hopefully. It's a nice cannon slr digital( 10 megapixels)camera with a $400 lens so hopefully it will take some nice pictures that I can post. He is growing and changing already.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. Hope to be back posting more soon.

Patti
Old 10-13-2006, 09:31 PM

Oh you guys! I received my custom Shanti quilt today, and it is so beautiful that I got tears in my eyes when I took it out of the box. She took all of DD's flannel receiving blankets and made them into a Shanti quilt. I am so in love! I was going to give it to DD for Christmas, but now I think I'll have to give it to her for her birthday.

The hip is still in mucho pain. I was up half the night because it hurt so bad. Of course I wasn't thinking clearly to get up and go take some advil - I just kept trying to go back to sleep. Right now I am icing it and the cold feels sooooo good. I think that super long needle hit some nerves. It sure felt like it when I got the shot. I'll be resting till Monday, then will start walking and yoga again. Yay!

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
Old 10-14-2006, 12:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi. I'm exhausted, I just got home after leaving this morning 13 hours ago.

My talk went really well. My outfit was fine. Note to self: After pumping, reconnect nursing bra before talk. I doubt anyone noticed, but I did about half way through. There was a little stammering for a while during which time I decided not to do anything about it.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Note to self: After pumping, reconnect nursing bra before talk. I doubt anyone noticed, but I did about half way through. There was a little stammering for a while during which time I decided not to do anything about it.
My god how many times did I do that...always my face bright red for a moment. But I rarely learned. Glad you survived mama!

Heading out early(7am!) tomorrow...Doing a du workout for fun. Running 5.5 miles, 45 min spinning class, run 2.5 miles home. Why? Because I'm nuts. And I don't want to be in the freezing cold(literally 32 degrees projected) for 2+ hours running around town. 45 mins in a building at spinning should warm me up enough to tackle 2.5 miles home.

Then an uber mainstream baby shower in the afternoon. Another one of the I'm not going to even try to breastfeed moms. And definitely circ'ing the babe. I hate this area sometimes.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:42 AM

Hi Strangers! Just poking my head in a minute.

Deep breath. Aaaaahhhhh.

I haven't run a bit since the race on Saturday, and I feel like a blimp because I've been living on sugar and adrenaline. Did I whine here about the storm that knocked out power at work for a week? Been trying to catch up all week. I think I will be caught up about when my event is over. I'm fighting really hard to stay enough in the moment that I don't come crashing down afterwards hard like I sometimes do. Producing this event each year is a just a little like giving birth at least as far as the anticipation and recovery part. Oh and the steamroller part right at the end.

I'm debating the 8K on Thanksgiving, part of me knows I will love going a little farther and further with my training, part of me feels like I've had this good streak of meeting all my goals so far and now I should relax a bit to concentrate on the weight loss (after the end of the month--yet another similarity .) For the rest of you working on weightloss goals, do you find you can push your training and integrate it with the weight management? I have found that I can either concentrate on training or on cutting calories, but I can't push both at the same time.

I think I'm going to have to come back for personals. My eyes just can't take the computer screen tonight. Ack.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2babybees View Post

Then an uber mainstream baby shower in the afternoon. Another one of the I'm not going to even try to breastfeed moms. And definitely circ'ing the babe. I hate this area sometimes.

poor babe. at least hopefully it will have lots of love of other sorts.

we just finished up birthday party/bonfine/lots of people ending up in our tiny, tiny house. it was a lot of fun and so nice to see friends - but why, why must all of our friends have 'jumping beds' when jumping is strictly verboten at our house. ugh.

good night, have a good weekend!
Old 10-14-2006, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post

Kristin, that looks perfect, thanks!!

Wendy, glad your talk went well despite the bra issue

Flitters, feel free to post the pics - can't wait to see them! E was asking about your DS yesterday... and the motorcycle

Planning to run tomorrow a.m. with G in stroller, probably 6 or so.

'Night everyone.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:06 AM

Janessa - I've missed a week because of illness before and been able to run. I've always heard, "in your head go ahead, in your chest take a rest." hope you feel better soon. Pumpkinseed basically said the same thing. It'll be there when you're better!

Patti That space will always be there but I hope it becomes less painful. I'm so glad you have gabriel to hold and snuggle. And I'm sure your mom is there watching and celebrating with you.

Geo - I can remember doing that a couple times with clients! Nothing like the beet red face...

So....I'm about to do a 5k... snort, laugh, snicker...at 29 weeks! Hahahahaha I have no idea what to imagine. I plan on starting at the very back. I think I can run the whole thing, but ya know I never know what's going to happen. Some days I go out and start running and five minutes later, "nope, not a running day," and other days that I feel like I could go forever. I must say I have really enjoyed running this pregnancy. It's been an adventure. And I really don't mean that sarcastically. But who knew that my running tights would stretch over my bulge??? I must take a picture.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post
So....I'm about to do a 5k... snort, laugh, snicker...at 29 weeks! Hahahahaha I have no idea what to imagine. I plan on starting at the very back. I think I can run the whole thing, but ya know I never know what's going to happen. Some days I go out and start running and five minutes later, "nope, not a running day," and other days that I feel like I could go forever.
I was the same way. Have fun!
Old 10-14-2006, 10:40 AM

thinking of running my four miles this morning and 14 miles tomorrow. I need more winter running clothes to run in this cold weather. I'm also waiting on my running shoes. This has been going on for several weeks now.

Feeling a little miffed at dh. He has the nerve to complain aobut how the house looks, but leaves crap everywhere!! It's making me so upset.

I'm also getting worked up over the holidays already. Every year it's a big deal as to when we get together with who, and that I have to do everyone's
Christmas shopping (from us , my in-laws, my grandmother, my dad). It's just getting too much to bear. Last year we celebrated Christmas 5 times, it was ridiculous.

*sigh* sorry for being so down : this am. Thanks for listening. Sounds like I really need a run, huh? :
Old 10-14-2006, 10:56 AM

Runningmommy ~ I hope your run takes away your stress this morning.

BBM ~ We need to see pictures.

2babybees ~ How was your AM run?

My goal is to run and then do a 35 minute walk afterwards this morning (once it warms up some).

I have a very OT question. My DH and I have been talking about children and he wants to start a family RIGHT NOW. I, of course, want to a wait a little while longer. So sometime in the spring (near graduation) I think that we will ttc. Ok, so my real question is how do I know when I'm ovulating? Will it change once I am off of my birth control pills?

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 10-14-2006, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLove View Post
Ok, so my real question is how do I know when I'm ovulating? Will it change once I am off of my birth control pills?
JenLove how exciting! So...not that we don't want to hear the dirty details (we do!) but the ladies in the "fertility" section on MDC have soooo much info. I also would recommend Taking Charge of your Fertility (it's a book). It helped me so much when we were TTC for #1. In a nutshell though you can predict it by your temperature in the morning and also by cervical mucus (lovely term, but get used to it ). It was always pretty easy for me to tell. I ovulated the first month off the pill but didn't get preggo for six months or so off of it. Anyway, let us know!

BBM--same with me too. I'm so glad it's been a good experience for you! I have some pics I need to email you of fabric, so PM me when you have a chance, not sure I have your email.

Patti--hi there mama. You have had so much to deal with...your family may never feel "complete" but maybe a new kind of normal. But it takes a while. Do you have a good priest to go talk to or a counselor? You are so strong mama taking care of everyone that I hope you can find a space for yourself to grieve. Please give little Gabriel a squeeze for my family... Miriam loved the picture of her "friends" looking at him!

I ran 10.5 miles yesterday! It was tough because I was dumb though...I was kicking myself (figuratively) the whole time. I got too hungry. J is growth-spurting and nursed and ate all day the day before my run, and then I went out having only eaten a bowl of cereal and didn't take any gel. hello???? what was I thinking? so I'd like to amend my DDDDDC to "don't think, just run---except in case of long runs." or something like that. I also didn't bring any tissues, lube, or gatorade. Anyway, I went to REI and got some gel bloks (clif, anybody tried them?) and will be prepared next week. the really crappy thing was that other than the hunger I felt great....my legs and lungs were just fine and I still did it a bit under 12 minute miles.

one more time

Got to go....Happy First Birthday to my sweet boy today! This time last year I was already nursing him for the 2nd time.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:23 AM

Hey mamas,
No running to report but we did make huge progress ont he biggest swingset I've ever seen! It is all ready but for the seats which we have figured out and just have to finish! I am so excited, I hope dd loves it. DH and I took test swings on an old seat we have and it is awesome! The view once you swing up a bit is incredible. I will try to get a picture of it once it is really ready (the view, but maybe also the swing set.

Argh, I got distracted last night and never finished. I had personals but no time anymore! :

Oh well, I'll try to get back later, it's breakfast time at the human kennel now though.

Have a good day mamas!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

User Tag List