WITCH way are you running, mama? (Running Mamas October) - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 923 Old 10-15-2006, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am horribly behind on this thread. I have been avoiding it because DP has been out of town for a week, so I have only ran once (yesterday) in that time. And yesterday was so difficult, partly because I was out of the swing for several days, but also because it got cold here in WI!!! Brrr--I need to get some thin gloves and something to cover my ears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftmama View Post
I'm only checking in to post a link to an article i promised patti's sister that i thought was so excellent.

Tara Marie:
I am horribly behind on this thread. I have been avoiding it because DP has been out of town for a week, so I only got out to run once (yesterday). And yesterday was so difficult, partly because I was out of the swing for several days, but also because it got cold here in WI!!! Brrr--I need to get some thin gloves and something to cover my ears.

Why The World Needs Down Syndrome

page 16 - unfortunately it's a pdf document and then you have to scroll down to the 16th page. it's such a good article, though. my whole life has been enhanced by realizing the blessing those with one extra chromosone bring to the rest of us.
Since I am so behind I am not sure what this is in response to, but I just wanted to thank you for sharing it and also to share an article that I like.
#482 of 923 Old 10-15-2006, 04:51 PM

twinsr4me ~ Now I'm really interested in that book. It seems like my DH's side only has boys... I'd like a boy, but I'd also like to have a girl too. What's the trick? I'll have to look for that book.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#483 of 923 Old 10-15-2006, 04:51 PM

Thanks pumpkinseed for that. Hugs to all the mama's here who have lost babies. Thinking about my sweet boy all day. Maybe I'll try to get to the cemetary before the day is over. Must remember to go and light his candle. It will burn for Griffin and all the dingos' lost little ones.

Patti
#484 of 923 Old 10-15-2006, 04:56 PM

Zelda's mom-loftmama posted the link to the article for my older sister Tara. Her youngest child has down syndrome and many here have seen her website because my sister has posted pictures there of Gabriel's birth and Griffin's 5k run. website is http://www.emmasage.blogspot.com

Forgot to mention that dh has started a blog for me so I can post pictures for you all to see. Eventuallly I will link it in my signature, but for now here it is
http://www.pattiletko.blogspot.com

Now we just need to get our new digital camera so I can take some recent pictures of Gabriel. He has changed so much in the past week.

Patti
#485 of 923 Old 10-15-2006, 05:08 PM

Pictures from Oliver's Birthday can be seen here:

http://adobe.kodakgallery.com/Slides...y=-5eo3ko&Ux=0
#486 of 923 Old 10-15-2006, 06:22 PM

Happy Birthday Oliver! What a cutie he is. Congrats on your great 3 miler time, CherylAnn. That is terrific.

Beth - Thanks for the pic of one year old J. He is adorable!

Patti - The pics on your blog are wonderful. Gabriel is just precious.

According to the doctor, I can start walking and stuff now. But my hip still hurts a bit, so DH and I decided I should wait one more day. My "rest" days don't really count.. yesterday I was chasing/running all over the park with DD. Needless to say, I was icing my hip when I got home. I need to run, y'all. Need, need, need. Will it heal? Will I be able to run another marathon next year? Here's to hoping!

Shanti - Yes, please! I'd love for the dingos to see DD's amazing quilt. I am in serious blanket love.

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#487 of 923 Old 10-15-2006, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsr4me View Post
You really like those better than gu? Right now I take four gu's during my marathon and I think it helps alot. What is so special/better about clif shot blocks? Dont you have to eat them? Arent they a package like fruit snacks? I havent tried it yet but it seems like it would be harder to chew, swallow and breathe while running as apposed to just sucking down the gu while running. I'm really curious. Can you tell alitttle more. I have seen them at expos but dismissed them because I thought it would be more difficult than gu while running. So dont mind, what is it that you like better and how would it work while running a marathon?
Thanks
twinsr4me
Yes you have to chew them but I have a really hard time with the consistency of the gus, frankly they make me want to hurl and leave a sickenly sweet taste in my mouth even after water. Also when I used the bloks during the tris I was on the bike or heading out of transition. Really the time spent chewing is so small that the ability to fuel in way that my stomach can handle is well worth whatever seconds I loose. This would be especially true for longer distances.

Ran a suprisingly fun and fast 6+ miles on the treadmill this afternoon and then 25 minutes in the pool. I had gorged myself on pretzels, brownies and lunchmeat only hours before at the first of many work meetings this week. I knew I was fueled up at least for a long workout. This week is going to be tough with this conference here. Desserts, dinners out, drinks, etc etc. I'm going to have run/bike/swim a lot this week to make up for all of it!
#488 of 923 Old 10-15-2006, 08:19 PM

: love to the mamas and families.
#489 of 923 Old 10-15-2006, 08:31 PM

Since we are sharing photos....Dh took these today.

No running...I think that I may have shingles. On my face. It is awful. Also have inflammed arms/hands/fingers from working with nerve stuff involved. Not good.

Hugs to everyone.
#490 of 923 Old 10-15-2006, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm loving all the pictures, ladies. Keep 'em coming.

I had a wonderful run this evening. The only thing that would have made it perfect would have been company from Janessa. It's the first time I've felt strong in a good long time. I went from home to check out a possible place for J and I to run together. There were some off-leash dogs, but it seemed like they wouldn't go near the jogging path. Canada geese poop might be the biggest hazard.

It's been a rough weekend, ending with Karen now punching her brother a few times. It's very clear to us that she's not trying to hurt him, so it feels more like boundary testing than actually lashing out at her brother. From reading and talking to folks, it seems like we're doing things right with regards to positive attention and discussion. What now?
#491 of 923 Old 10-15-2006, 10:12 PM

OMG! Moonshine! Those pictures are sooooo adorable. Your girls are BEAUTIFUL! And it is more than physical, ya know? You can see their sweet little souls so clearly. I hope you feel better very soon. Since my body seems to be falling apart right now, I can really share your pain. (Hip. Fever blisters. Yeast from finishing a long course of antibiotics. Allergies. The list goes on.)

Now back to my irish coffee and time to start working. I put off work all day in favor of family time, then finally figuring out and hooking up our DVR during nap time. We went out for sushi tonight, too. Yum!

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#492 of 923 Old 10-15-2006, 11:12 PM

I haven't run in 2 weeks due to crazy life, but I'm still reading along anyways!

Geo - have you read Siblings Without Rivalry? I haven't even finished it, but it has been very enlightening to me so far. I don't have siblings and don't really understand the concept of rivalry, so reading the book was helpful to me and made me feel at least like if my kids fight, it isn't necessarily because I'm doing something wrong.

Patti - your new babe is so beautiful. I really feel for you in these first few weeks with him. It always seemed to me when I had a new babe that I was hypersensitive to any sadness or melancholy, or other difficult emotions, and with all that you are coping with, it must be particularly hard in this time.

bbm - I'm so impressed! And you have such a nice looking belly. Remember to save these pics for your little one's baby book!

moonshine - your girls are adorable. And yuck about the shingles. Get seen by a doc ASAP and get on anti-virals. Shingles on the face can cause permanent nerve damage and anti-virals reduce the chance some.

I finally saw my college kid Friday night. He had a concert winds concert and we drove to see it and then take him out to dinner. We arrived just in time for the concert since I had to wait until the other kids got out of school, so I didn't get the chance to see him until he came out with the band. They wear tuxes for concerts, so there he was, all decked out looking so tall, handsome, and grown up. I almost burst into tears right there. The concert was great, and then we went out to supper and talked which was even nicer. He's settling in well, making lots of friends, and seems really happy. He's been working out and playing basketball with a bunch of guys, and taking a hip-hop dance class (this from the kid who would never, ever dance in public?) Of course he said there are 5 guys in the dance class and 26 women, so one wonders about his motives . . .
I also have to admit (if I can have one brief pity party here) that I'm a little jealous of his life. I went to college as a teenage, single mother and had to work really hard to keep us fed and dressed, while he has the freedom to explore things he enjoys and make lots of friends. I've always said I have no regrets, and truly, I don't, but seeing what a good time he's having is sort of my first inside view at what I missed. I don't mean to imply he's got no responsibilities, and actually I'm very impressed with how he is learning to manage on his own, just that his whole future is so wide open and he has the freedom to explore so many things, while at the same time in life, I had to pick a narrow path very carefully to be able to be successful. Do I sound pathetic?
I also had the chance tonight to talk with a couple of his friends' moms who also have college freshmen. One kid has already dropped out of school (he didn't want to go in the first place and was pushed into it by his folks) and now is planning to go to Mexico and build houses. (Three years ago our church youth group went for a couple weeks to work with a house-building ministry there and he seems to think they would take him permanently.) Another kid is having a terrible time after his long-term high school girl friend told him to take a hike last week. I'm hoping no big bumps in the road are ahead for my kid!

On the Halloween costume front, one down, 2 to go, and one of those is half done. I might make it in time yet!
#493 of 923 Old 10-15-2006, 11:22 PM

DrJen, if you are still here, can you check out my shingles thread here? There are some pics.
#494 of 923 Old 10-16-2006, 12:22 AM

Hi Mamas,

We were out of town for the weekend. it was nice.

Patti, thank you for sharing your beautiful pictures. Gabriel is so sweet. And thanks for thinking of all of our sweet babies that we are missing. I know Griffin has touched me in so many ways, as have you.

Moonshine, I hope your rash gets better. It sounds like it has been going on for a long time and looks uncomfortable. Your DD's are beautiful. I have a dark eyed older DD and a blue eyed younger one too.

Dr. Jen, what an experience you have had, revisiting college through your son's experience. I am glad he is doing great. It must be kind of strange to imagine him as being where you once were. I am not verbalizing this well at all..... i can't imagine my children being grown up, or at least comparable to me in my adult experience.

I have been so emotional. I went for acupuncture last Tuesday and one point she did was one where she warned that there would be elimination of energy. Well, i have been crying and so much has been coming up. Stuff that I have been pushing down for a long time. Do you think this could be from the acupuncture? Because Wow, it is just so much. i think it is good, and I am writing a lot, and moving ahead, but wow, it is exhausting me. Maybe my neurotransmitters are just getting burnt out.

i got in a great walk today before we left Chicago. Yeah.

Take care mamas, ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

#495 of 923 Old 10-16-2006, 02:42 AM

moonshine, your dh is a great photographer!! Your girls are just beautiful! And so different from each other, too. I hope you are on the mend, soon!!

Patti Ann your new blog is very nice! Gorgeous pictures of your family and little Gabriel!!

ND, I've heard of massage having that effect before. Wow!! I hope you can just go with it and maybe release a bunch of stuff!
#496 of 923 Old 10-16-2006, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Here are pictures of Monakita's quilt - one for her dd and one for her dd's doll.
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...t/IMG_1509.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...t/IMG_1508.jpg
I can't tell you how I sweated when I first cut into the first one of those receiving blankets - this was someone's BABY'S stuff I was working with - I was terrified of messing up! I used the scraps to make a little crazy quilt for her doll - it was fun for me to try soemthing new and I hope she has fun playing with it.

I need to do some serious updating of my website. I hate taht part of this little business - I keep forgetting how to do things and it takes so darned long. I am going to let the etsy site expire as I have had no response from that at all - all of my customers have been from MDC or people I know IRL. I will get back to work on the blog later this week - I just have to remember how to postt he pictures I am hopeless.

Patti, drjen, erika, everyone - I have been thinking of you a lot recently.

Must start making lunches and then get out for a quick run. dh and I are going to visit my mother today and then have a wild date grocery shopping. My mom barely recognized me last week so I am prepared for anything today. After all the : I went through when she was first placed in the locked unit, the nursed tell me she now likes the locked doors because they keep people out. See, even with ALzheimers there is hope!
#497 of 923 Old 10-16-2006, 09:37 AM

I love all the pictures So neat to put faces to names.

Wendy- I'm glad you had a nice run. I ended up going out and manage to run 2.5 a whole 5 minutes slower then it's ever taken me lmao. I'm glad I got out but I'm glad I'm saving my run with you till I'm back to just my normal slowness

Moonshine--your rash sounds horrible I hope you get it figured out quickly. If it is shingles and is so close to your eye you need to get checked like others have said if can damage the eye.
#498 of 923 Old 10-16-2006, 10:05 AM

Morning ladies!

My DH is coming back from his trip to NH today, so I got up early to make some lasagna and garlic bread for dinner (since I will be in class). I hope he appreciates it. : I also finished up a big project that is due today. Really, I think I spent about 8-10 hours on homework this weekend. :

Now I am off to run in the cold and the rain. "We run our best in the rain. We run our best in the rain. We run our best in the rain." Track mantra.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#499 of 923 Old 10-16-2006, 10:22 AM

I have 2 screens open because i am not sure how far i will get before dd wakes up so i am going to read and reply as i go along

HBM and wawoof i have pm'ed you about the merry mailers, it is a card exchange amongst those who want to join, so we get lots of nice cards to open with/without kids. You can make them or buy them

Monica great poem

Did anyone drink coffee in pregnancy?

Thanks for all the replies about pregnancies: i am hoping that even though this one feels different it does not mean it is definately a boy - i want another girls so much, but really i will love a boy if i get one promise

JenLove glad the lesson went well

Patti Ann I am so glad the stuff arrived.I wanted to get things that were a little unusual and specially from africa. I am sorry about the empty space in your heart i am sure snuggling your boy helps

Geofizz: so glad you decided not to do up the bra, that would have certainly got a few interesting looks Glad the talk went well

dd is awake will post more later
#500 of 923 Old 10-16-2006, 10:23 AM

Hi ladies. I'm heading out for hopefully my last infusion this morning. I will be so glad to have this needle out of my arm. Today is my first day without dh and/or my mom. I'm so nervous. I feel good, but get exhausted so easily.
I've been trying to read along, but it's hard to get computer time. I'm thinking of you all, though.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#501 of 923 Old 10-16-2006, 11:13 AM

we've had lots of family visit in the last week, the last one of them leaves tomorrow. whew.

i'm still doing my mile loop, trying to add just a .25 mile at a time. i feel like i have a rib that's popped out of place [according to my chiro where i used to live, it happens to me a lot and she always would just pop it back into place] but i am terrified of trying to find a chiro around here. the tennessee tribe in FYT is pretty...silent. i posted asking about a naturopath and got nothin'. i have a love/hate thing with chiros, so this could take a while for me to work up the nerve to try someone new!

monikita - sushi - yum! dh and i always went to the best sushi place in SLC but i can't remember the name..

i'm off to tour music city - this should be good, i have no idea where to go!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#502 of 923 Old 10-16-2006, 12:20 PM

Shanti and Monikita, those are so sweet!! Is there special embroidery between each square? My download speed causes my monitor to be pretty lame, so I can't see very clearly.

Sally, my second pg was so different! I felt good the whole time, for one thing. In the last couple weeks I still had so much more energy and I didn't have a lot of the same aches and pains I had the first time. Everyone told me she'd be a boy. Nope! Another little girl.

HBM, I'm so glad you are finally on the mend!!! I wish I could lend you a hand for a while.

Poppywise, that hurts! I hope you find someone you can trust to help you out!

Today I'm doing 45 min. of yoga. I'm still so jazzed about yesterday's run!!!
#503 of 923 Old 10-16-2006, 01:18 PM

Morning mamas!
Well, the party was successful and dry and the swingset was a hit. At one point there were six kids on the three swings riding face to face so I'm glad we went with the beefier hardware! Here are pictures of the day.
Now that that is over I am seriously not going to be denied a perfect workout week this week! I am going to run-gym-run-gym-run-gym! No excuses!!!!

Sally - I did drink coffee in both pregnancies but not until after the first trimester. I just could not make myself take a sip during the first trimester even if I'd wanted to, it's how I knew I was pregnant the second time actually!

Moonshine - that rash looks painful! I hope you figure it out and get relief fast!

Geo - Many a morning while I was nursing dd I'd come back into the kitchen from serving breakfast and chit chatting with guests to see that not only had I not clipped my bra but I'd left my shirt open! : I finally realized that button down shirts were not for me!

Poppy - I know what you mean about chiros. People with good ones always rave about how they are miracle workers but the one i saw was decidedly not! I wish I knew how to screen them!

Shanti - those quilts are beautiful!

ND - I think the accupuncture could definitely have unleashed the flood! I actually went to an accupuncturist after Wendy to help get it all out and it definitely helped.

DrJen - you don't sound pathetic at all! I think you were incredibly incredibly brave and strong to get yourself through school with a baby and if you take some time no took back and be whistful about not having had the freedom to be carefree you've earned it!

JenLove - Good luck with your ttc plans! That is something exciting to look forward to for sure!

Okay, time to go run!!! Have a great day!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#504 of 923 Old 10-16-2006, 01:37 PM

plady, I'm glad the party was such a success! I long for Mexico looking at your pictures!!! I love the architecture, the tile, the rock work, etc. Is that your country home in the outdoor pics? It looks so much like a little chapel I visited in Guatemala. Gosh, I loved those pictures.

Sally, I forgot to say that I drank coffee, too. I usually stuck to one latte a day because it has less caffiene than drip, but not always. I couldn't stand the taste or smell for the first trimester, though.
#505 of 923 Old 10-16-2006, 02:08 PM

Woo Hoo! I'm back from the doctor and they released me and took the needle out! He said I will still be tired for a couple of WEEKS! Johanna will be a month old tomorrow and I feel like I've missed so much of her life. She is such an adorably sweet baby, though.
I had to be weighed there today and I'm about 15 pounds from pre-pregnancy, though I had somehow (Halloween thru Christmas ) put on about 8 pounds before I got pregnant. I am embarassed that I'm still wearing some maternity clothes. Why can't regular jeans have comfy elastic waistbands?

Plady-That is the biggest pinata I've ever seen! Looks like a fun time!

JenLove-at the risk of sounding like a nosy mother-in-law, I've SO been wondering when you would TTC. I'm so excited for you!

Sally-My first two pregnancies were somewhat similar and this third one was completely different. I was sure I was having a boy this time. We were all shocked when Johanna was a girl!

Shanti and Monica-that quilt is just so yummy!

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#506 of 923 Old 10-16-2006, 02:11 PM

Yay! On the road to recovery HBM! Take it easy. You'll be wearing jeans for the rest of your life. Concentrate on your health and your family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy View Post
JenLove-at the risk of sounding like a nosy mother-in-law, I've SO been wondering when you would TTC. I'm so excited for you!
Ummmm I don't think you're the only one.
#507 of 923 Old 10-16-2006, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Yay! On the road to recovery HBM! Take it easy. You'll be wearing jeans for the rest of your life. Concentrate on your health and your family.
ditto that. I also have to admit that I had one pair of maternity jeans that were so comfortable when I was pregnant with Leah I was sad when they no longer did the trick. I kept em even though I garage saled many of my maternity clothes. Maybe I can talk dh into one more? In my defense I did try to give them to Patti but she was already taken care of in the clothes dept.

lots happened this weekend while I was on computer vacation (i.e. I resolved to give my brain a break from the screen for a while). Jenlove: I've been waiting too. This whole planning to ttc always makes me laugh because I didn't get to plan either baby :LOL

ok off to work. back later, perhaps.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#508 of 923 Old 10-16-2006, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Plady, loved the pictures. It looks like a fantastic party. That pinata was just too cool! Nice job on the swingset, too.

I have enjoyed seeing everyone's pictures, actually. Thanks for sharing!

DrJen, you are certainly allowed a "pity party." I think it makes a lot of sense that you would be feeling the way you are. You are a good mama, and looking back and being a little jealous doesn't take away from that one bit. C seems like such a nice kid, and I hope things continue to go well for him.

HBM, good luck on your first day "alone." I am so glad for you that your treatment is about to be over. I hope your strength and stamina continue to increase.

JenLove, you, with your lasagna for DH, and countless other examples, are a great reminder and example of how to appreciate one's spouse.

Shanti, beautiful quilts!

Geo, I wish I had some wise words about Karen, but I'll be thinking of you and hoping it resolves soon.

Patti, glad you have a blog now! And thank you for your words about me and the DH situation. That really meant a lot, because I have continually questioned whether I've done enough.

ND

Big long DH tale ahead, feel free to skip:

So, we went to Raleigh, it was a good little trip, very good to reconnect with some of my friends that I hadn't seen in far too long. Good to get away by myself with EK. I had forgotten how demanding it can be to be the only adult. My poor bladder probably did not appreciate how long I made it wait - but it's hard to pee on the road w/ a kid.

Anyway, got back around 11:30 Saturday PM, and was already feeling pretty emotional. Somehow DH and I got started talking, and we ended up talking until 3:30 AM. He made some confessions. There is a, uh, p0rn issue; we dealt with it once before, he promised to stop and it turns out he didn't; there is a history there stemming from childhood and some pretty poor parenting IMO by his mother and father. He said he does not want to keep secrets anymore, that he wants us to have an open and honest relationship with good communication. We ended up not leaving the house yesterday, sent EK off with my parents and talked about 4 more hours during the afternoon. We talked about many things from our past and it was a very good conversation, although we were both struggling to stay awake. I think the tide is turning. I feel joy and hope in my heart again, but I am also scared. My heart is saying go for it, but my head is saying be careful, wait, think. It is also very, very awkward in some ways. It is like starting over. We have not touched each other in any way for so long... last night we agreed to try snuggling to sleep. The physical contact issue is literally like it would be with someone you've just met - it's very strange. Anyway, this big talk is what I have been waiting for, and I am cautiously encouraged. I definitely still have the desire to fix things, and he does too, so maybe this is gonna work, even though it will be a long road back and will take lots of active effort.

OK, must work...

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#509 of 923 Old 10-16-2006, 02:34 PM

:eksmom I hope you can find some balance between your head and heart. It sounds like the trip did good for all involved. I hope this is a positive step.
#510 of 923 Old 10-16-2006, 03:04 PM

eksmom - I hope this is the start. I totally get the physical thing being like being with a new person - I think you are wise to recognize that and respect that you will need to get used to each other again. I wish there was a way to fast forward through any awkwardness and tough conversations for you to a place where you are both happy again.

JenLove- forgot to say I've been totally wondering, too, when you were going to join the running mamas. Any chance you'll want to move up north a little and I can catch your baby? :

Geo - Forgot to say I was LOL at your nursing bra issue. I pumped for 15 mos last time, and often pumped in the car driving from one clinic to the other and can't count how many times I left the stupid things unhooked. At least when the child is around and is old enough to talk they can clue you in. My dd said to me once in a loud stage whisper in public "Mama, your nursies are out!" Um, thanks honey.

Shanti and Monikita - what beautiful quilts! I made one for my older dd using scraps from dresses I had made for her, and it is such a nice memory now to be able to look at it and remember her babyhood that way. She'll always treasure it.

HBM - I'm glad you are doe with therapy, and sorry it's been such a long haul. Take the time you need to feel normal before attempting anything other than caring for that sweet babe!

Okay, back to work!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page