WITCH way are you running, mama? (Running Mamas October) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 923 Old 10-01-2006, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
OK nutritional folks chime in on this one:
My friend's 16YO is a high school swimmer. They have a new coach from Finland? Sweden? someplace in Scandahovian land. Anyhow Elizabeth (daughter of friend) has been getting leg cramps. The kind that make your whole lower leg tight and the arch of the foot too. Coach gave her a magnesium pill (without mom's permission -- mom is , that's another story). Anyhow -- any suggestions on diet? I was thinking maybe she needs more calcium, potassium?
In track, we were always told more potassium and definitely more liquids (water and sports drinks). My leg cramps seemed to have a lot to do with my water intake. And those things are so awful, and they always hit me in the middle of the night.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#62 of 923 Old 10-01-2006, 11:24 PM

Patti, we are cheering you on from Madison, and will be waiting to hear the news tomorrow. Gentle and sweet birthing to you Mama

Erika

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

#63 of 923 Old 10-01-2006, 11:28 PM

Quote:
OK nutritional folks chime in on this one:
My friend's 16YO is a high school swimmer. They have a new coach from Finland? Sweden? someplace in Scandahovian land. Anyhow Elizabeth (daughter of friend) has been getting leg cramps. The kind that make your whole lower leg tight and the arch of the foot too. Coach gave her a magnesium pill (without mom's permission -- mom is , that's another story). Anyhow -- any suggestions on diet? I was thinking maybe she needs more calcium, potassium?
I was always told that cal and mag go hand in hand, cal allows you to clench and mag allows you to unclench.....but I honestly don't know how accurate that is. DrJen?

cReb, I loved reading your race report! And DrJen, your race report made me cry. I have had really emotional runs like that recently.
#64 of 923 Old 10-01-2006, 11:37 PM

I just found some online race photos from my 5K. I'm not in any of them, but if you click on photo #3, you can see the runners and the Capitol building above them.

http://www.tracs.net/event/AAFP2006/2006sitephotos.html
#65 of 923 Old 10-02-2006, 12:07 AM

dr jen - great race report. great post.

patti, i'm thinking about you mama. (actually i've been thinking about you non-stop for days while i looked for a bead. how lame am i? i finally called someone to find a place that sells beads and planned to go there tomorrow! too late! so i'm your super lame, but wanna-be-better friend.) i can hardly wait till jim posts the exciting news!!! i can hardly believe how much you've been through this last year and i want everything to go smoothly, perfectly and beautifully tomorrow.

plady, whassup, chica? how did it go?

kerc, i feel like a nutritional idiot these days or i'd chime in. i am *almost* ready to see a nutritionist for my stupid fatigue. good luck with your all-nighter.

eksmom, your ride tomorrow sounds blissful. wish i could ride it with you. take care of yourself, mama. be vigilant and careful. monday morning ought to be a good time to ride but you can never be too careful. i'm looking forward to your ride report.

no run for me again. today was the day i should've run my 10K. when i saw runners yesterday running, gearing up, getting race packets, i actually literally felt zero desire. i've hit a wall, i think. and i'm contemplating hitting a real wall and taking up rock climbing. i have 2 female relatives my age nearby who already climb and have been inviting me for over a year. sometimes it's good to switch to something else, kwim?

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#66 of 923 Old 10-02-2006, 12:23 AM

Can I join in? I ran cross country in high school but never was very fast and that was a l-o-n-g time ago. My last race in high school was in 1982! I started jogging again in June and just ran my first 5K yesterday. I did it in 28'31", which I was really happy with as my goal was to do it in under 30'. I'm thinking of doing another 5K the end of the month.
#67 of 923 Old 10-02-2006, 12:59 AM

Hey You Wonderful Women,

I so much enjoy reading this thread--it really helps me keep going. Thank you so much for being here.

I am still struggling along and feeling very new to running. I am only up to 20 minutes of actual running and walk before and after so my total time out adds up to an hour. I am thinking about trying more of a walk/run/walk/run type routine to increase my total running time. I have no idea how far I am going.

My favorite "song" I am into for running these days is "What a Day!" by Throbbing Gristle. It is weird, but good.

--Charlotte
#68 of 923 Old 10-02-2006, 01:00 AM

Thinking of you Patti. Can't wait to hear all about it.

Hoping to run tomorrow. No, let me rephrase, I will run tomorrow.

Had a super busy day today. Started with a class on neck massage, then acupuncture than home briefly to see DDs playing "pee and poop", which was running around naked yelling pee and poop. I got to leave DH with that and go do a massage. Worked on a tiny little woman with the tightest back I think I have worked on. It was pretty amazing.

Oh, and I think Kate Winslet asked me to help her park today. It looked a bit like her and it really sounded like, but it didn't seem quite right to ask her. She certainly did have issues parallel parking. I have been out many times where the people I am with see a celebrity (Matthew Broderick, Susan Serandon, Kristen Dunst), but I never do. This time, if indeed it was her, she had to talk to me, or I would never have noticed.

It is supposed to be 80 on Tuesday!!!?! WTF??
#69 of 923 Old 10-02-2006, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
home briefly to see DDs playing "pee and poop", which was running around naked yelling pee and poop.
I think my almost 3yo DS would fit right in with your DDs.
#70 of 923 Old 10-02-2006, 01:21 AM

Yea, well, it was ok (got a bit tedious to hear them going on and on with their pssss, psss, poop poop), but then I was laying on my bed, and it smelled like vaginas, which was not so cool. I did then eventually get them to get their underpants on, but DH said I missed when they both decided to wear the underpants down around their ankles, eating dinner like that, walking upstairs like that (we have 4 floors)...
#71 of 923 Old 10-02-2006, 03:55 AM

ok ladies. all-nighter successful (umm except the all-night part). off to pump and then sleep.
grades up to date for both classes, lectures written for geology courses, paper about 85% done, online banking done, email caught up on. whew. I'm tired and sore. I might need some serious yoga time tomorrow.

Oh and get this. Know how I knew it was time to go home?
I got cold.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#72 of 923 Old 10-02-2006, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Kerc, I'm glad you finished before too late. Staying up all night does weird stuff to your body.

My midwife was big on Ca/Mg supplements for cramps (and b/h and round ligament pain). As I understand the chemistry, giving a 16 yo one Mg pill during a practice won't do any hard. Anyways, it really helped me a lot (esp with the round ligament pain ) and my mw recommended taking the supplement in a 1:1 atom percent ratio (roughly 2:1 by weight).
#73 of 923 Old 10-02-2006, 09:01 AM

good luck today Patti - I'll be thinking of you!

i'm alive - just got back from a whirlwind 3 days in PA. no running, but a fun mtbike ride. off to work where I'll be trying to stay off the internet and run 45 minute trail run later.
#74 of 923 Old 10-02-2006, 10:04 AM

Hi Mamas!
Thank you all for the good vibes coming my way! I had a great run and really enjoyed it, as did dh. He is now talking up us both doing the full run for the St. Louis marathon in April. I'm still not sure but I'll look into the training schedules in a week or so!
Unfortunately for the faster runners the chip timer at the start didn't work so everyone is getting their clock times and you know how that is for those runners who started at the back of the pack . But I timed myself and did the run in just slightly over 11 minute miles. : I felt like I was flying! But cRen - I should totally have reviewed your rules because I nearly killed myself in a steep slide while following the hottest of hotties in short shorts and nothing down a hill!
Anyway, no time for more race report now. I'm thinking of Patti and hoping all goes well for her today. Oh! I have a new nephew as of yesterday! Apparently it went much like your labor with dd2 Lofty, she progressed nicely to full dilation and then baby would not or could not move and so they finally did a 2nd c-sec. I'm proud of her though, she had initially thought she'd just schedule the c-sec and then after reading up on these very boards about vbac she decided to give it a shot so baby could have the benefit of labor.

I can't wait to get home and catch up on all I've missed.

Love you all!

P

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#75 of 923 Old 10-02-2006, 11:30 AM

subbing and trying to read along...

: Lindberg99-good for you for running so fast in your first race back

Patti-you are so much in my thoughts today

eks-How are you doing?

DoctorJen-You really have such a talent for writing. Once again, you've made me cry.

Plady-congrats on your new nephew!

Today is my first day alone. Dh took off the first week and my mom was here last week. So far we're doing OK-I actually got a shower. Johanna has decided that she really doesn't need to sleep, especially at night. : She will only calm down if held up over a shoulder and walked. Thank you Mamabeth for the MT that is saving my life and my back right now.
I am antsy to get back to some sort of exercise, but after being out and around (running errands) the other day, I started to bleed red again. I feel so flabby and have nothing to wear. Did most of you wait 6 weeks to get back to it?

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#76 of 923 Old 10-02-2006, 11:42 AM

Oh Plady, I'm so PROUD of you!!!!!!!!! You're amazing!!!!! And dh!!!! Tell him Congrats for me. Where was C? That is so awesome. You are runners! Wow!!! Who would've known? Awesome! Hug yourselves for me. I miss you! Congrats on the new nephew. Is it dh's sibling?? Have a good trip back! I miss you guys. Did I say that already? I miss y'all. Hug C, too, while you're at it.

kerc, congrats on the successful night. Hopefully you got some sleep.

Grnmtnmama, your ride must've been awesome!

Moonshine, Kirsten Dunst, eh? It's fun, isn't it? Glad you knew how to parallel park! I could use one of your massages. Oh and it's so nice to know that my children aren't the only ones who play that game! Lately it's "penis and 'agina" Sorry if that's tmi.

HBM, I waited a year. Good luck and take it easy. You're still in recovery, so to speak. (Ok, so I'm all about recovery!)

off to take ds1 to a speech pathologist. he's 6yo and still can't make the sounds for "k" and hard "g." then we're meeting some friends for a hike on redbud island. but it's still too darn hot and buggy - high of 93 today! :

Patti, thinking of you all day!

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#77 of 923 Old 10-02-2006, 12:08 PM

Patti ~

HBM ~ Take time for you and your little one. You'll get back out there soon enough.

Alright Plady! Are there any other mamas out there planning on the St. Louis marathon or half-marathon in April? I live 20 miles away... maybe I could be convinced to do the half.

Kerc ~ I hope you got some well deserved zzzz's!

I just got in from my 1.5 mile run this morning. It was beautiful - sunny and warm again here. I like having a plan. I need to set rewards for myself so I continue it.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#78 of 923 Old 10-02-2006, 12:38 PM

HBM, I struggled to wait 3 weeks before starting again. I think I actually started jogging at 2 weeks 6 days. I did 30 seconds jog/2 minutes walk. It was cake. Before that I took long fast walks. I stopped bleeding before 2 weeks, though.
#79 of 923 Old 10-02-2006, 02:07 PM

thinking of Patti today.

HBM: I ran once or twice in 2 weeks time, then really waited until ~6 weeks to do anything semi regular. NOTHING fit me for months: pg clothes too big, normal clothes too small, etc. My advice: head to the resale shop and get yourself a week's worth of clothes --- nice sweatpants. I hope J. settles down a bit -- I've heard that babies who endure long labors in strange positions are more, err for lack of better word: cranky, than others. Friends of mine swear by chiro. for baby (they see a very very gentle chiro) in the first few weeks.

BEAUTIFUL fall day here. Leaves are past their prime, but high of 75

off to work now...

#80 of 923 Old 10-02-2006, 02:46 PM

Baby pics:

#81 of 923 Old 10-02-2006, 02:48 PM

My kids are crazy, but I'm trying to lurk for Patti news anyway. We are all sick of travelling with no end in sight...WHY did I say yes to these things anyway? I'm sure there's a reason....

HBM--give yourself a giant break, mama! I will call you very soon, hoping to not wake y'all up. Sleep deprivation makes it much harder, and you gotta pay attention to the bleeding which is always a sign of "slow down" even if you're getting bored or antsy, you know?

sending up prayers for Patti and family. I am also a bead slacker since my original bead got thrown away or something. hoping to hear soon of the little one.

I will run tomorrow and Thursday, and it looks like I'll be skipping this week's long run since I'm heading to the beach on Thursday. But some schedules say every other week anyway so I'm trying not to worry about it. Oh and my stepdad might run the half too! he is not much of a racing guy usually but the whole Thanksgiving/Atlanta thing was making him consider.

oh big news!!!! we had a first word! or several, all at the same time! in the past few days, J has said "Leah" (our dog), "To-go" (thank you), "mama" for nursing, and "dada" when he sees dh. and several other words. it's a verbal explosion at our house

I am soooo cranky. got to run.
#82 of 923 Old 10-02-2006, 02:52 PM

Quote:
NOTHING fit me for months: pg clothes too big, normal clothes too small, etc. My advice: head to the resale shop and get yourself a week's worth of clothes --- nice sweatpants.
My maternity is still tight except on the tummy.
I'm doing some depressing shopping later this week...We couldn't go to church yesterday b/c I didn't have anything to wear. And people keep bringing us really yummy desserts-Mamabeth makes some incredible peanut butter chocolate chunk cookies . And her dh's lasagne is "so damn good" to quote my 4 year old.

#83 of 923 Old 10-02-2006, 03:06 PM

Ohhh, thank you for sharing the pictures. I love the one of J getting kissed by her sisters. "What the @#$#?"

Patti, I hope things are rolling along for you now. Peaceful vibes.
#84 of 923 Old 10-02-2006, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy View Post
My maternity is still tight except on the tummy.
Ohhh, that happened to me! My maternity clothes that fit the day I gave birth, were TOO SMALL a week later. Seriously, someone up there was NOT being nice.
#85 of 923 Old 10-02-2006, 03:15 PM

Patti, thinking of you mama

hbm, thank you for the pictures,your family is lovely
#86 of 923 Old 10-02-2006, 04:12 PM

HBM : Your family is beautiful!

On pg clothes too small: let me remind you that the baby bulge just shifts around -- which means for me that they are giant in the top of the abdomen but fall off my a** because I either need to pull them WAY down or they won't go over the bulge. Church: skip it. Seriously. I mean if anyone asks: you don't want your kids out. Mamabeth's dh needs to send some lasagna this way. mmmmm.

I'm antsy waiting to hear about Patti. I've been antsy all day.

#87 of 923 Old 10-02-2006, 04:14 PM

Hi Mamas,

Patti, I have my Mama candle burning for you. I hope your babe is in your arms soon

HBM, Johanna is so sweet! And the picture of the sisters together brings tears to my eyes.....

Plady, rock on woman. WTG on the race. That is fabulous

Loftmama, I think you should definately try rock climbing. You will come back to running, but it won't be good until your heart wants to and it sounds like you need to be able to have some fun being physical doing something else first before running is fun again for you.

Beth, yay on the words!!!!!!! That is so cool mama. I hope the traveling goes smoothly for you. I am the envy of all my friends with the carrier you made me...oh yeah baby

Zelda's Mama, you are doing great woman! I think your idea of mixing it up is a great one. You are out there for an hour now, I bet your body would work very well into doing an hour of mixed together walking then running say like 1/2 and 1/2. For me, the 20 minutes of running has always been a big hurdle. Working up to that point is hard work, as is getting past it. But once I am over that hurdle, it becomes much easier to add on more time. You are getting there.......

Moonshine, Kate Winslet? How cool is that! And I had to laugh at all the peeing and pooping stuff. My DDs just got a whoopee cushion and that has been a huge hit at my house nonstop for the past week

Welcome Lindberg! This is a great group. WTG on the 5K, that's awesome Mama!

I am doing well, doing yoga tonight so haven't done much today. Did have a nice walk this AM. My belly is getting really big and I am feeling ponderous as I lumber around but I love it anyway

Take care Mamas, ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

#88 of 923 Old 10-02-2006, 04:15 PM

Running was hard today. My fav song was Feeling Good by Nina Simone. It's a beautiful, sunny fall day here. I picked up a bunch of brilliant red leaves for DS and DD to play with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy View Post
What a beautiful little gal. I especially love the big sister pics.
#89 of 923 Old 10-02-2006, 04:22 PM

Thanks for the words of encouragement, ND. Today I just did the running just in one burst again and walked the rest of the time. I think you are right that I could do more though. Tomorrow I will try to give it a go.

Another thing I did today was Pilates for Dummies that I got from the library. This was my first exposure to pilates. I thought it would be tedious and boring, but it wasn't bad, since the focus is on qaulity of movement not quantity.

Doing yoga sounds great, ND. I wish I had more discipline to get myself to practice at home-I would eventually love to be practicing every day. I am in this thing now where I need to go to a class to get myself to do it.
#90 of 923 Old 10-02-2006, 04:47 PM

On clothes that fit: I have been looking into getting these for working, but my work pants equals everyone else's lounge clothes.

Didn't run today. : Woke up too late. But I did ride bike to my appointment. Stomach stuff is finally getting a bit better, but still have lots of puffing out. Must get with the running program, and going to check out when the next Tupler Mummy Tummy workshop is. What I really would like to do is drop the 10 lbs I put in since my stomach troubles began.

I am fairly certain it was Kate Winslet. I opened up the NYPost today and right there was a pic of her with her kid. Hair was similar to how what I saw. From just in the face she looked thinner than in the movies. Guess it is the camera adds 10 lbs thing.

Ok, off to pick up DD1.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page