WITCH way are you running, mama? (Running Mamas October) - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 923 Old 10-04-2006, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sally Z View Post
But i did something so that is a start! Okay i know all the pregnant exercise questions have been asked before but becasue it did not apply to me i sort of skimmed over the answers , so now if some long suffering mamma would not mind going over the basics for me that would be great.

Like do i have to keep below a certain heart rate?
So long as you aren't running ultras or anything, the current thinking is not to worry about heartrate, but to keep your perceived intensity the same. That is, if you before ran 10 minute miles and running a 12 minute mile now seems just as intense, run the 12 minute mile and don't push past it.

Running is supposed to be fine into the third trimester as long as you feel up for it. It's also ok to spend twelve weeks curled up in a little pathetic ball and start again in the second trimester.
#182 of 923 Old 10-04-2006, 05:02 PM

Oh, how hard is it to get US books there? The Runner's World book (Running in Pregnancy?) is decent as long as you ignore the non-running specific advice. The rest of it reads like Cliff's Notes of What to Expect.

Who's got the dingo copy now?
#183 of 923 Old 10-04-2006, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
This isn't finished - but I am bursting to show it to someone! It will be much larger when done - another round of larger triangles and two more borders (then the quilting and binding, but that won't change the look too much.) The photograph doesn't do the colours justice - they are intensely vibrant. I was a little worried about that at the beginning, but the larger it gets, the more I like it. What do you think?

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...h_IMG_1512.jpg

I love the flannel frayed edge quilts but it is cool to work on a pieced quilt again. There may be a chance to hang some at the local art gallery - it would be great to generate some local interest and business.

Oh yeah - the topic of the thread. No running today, but some more walking and I managed to pick up 6y.o. dd without hurting myself. I may be running again soon!
#184 of 923 Old 10-04-2006, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HBM - Oh no! My sister has endometriosis, and I understand it can be quite painful. I hope you are doing okay and can get home soon.

Sallyz - Congrats!! I think the key to running while PG is just listening to your body: If it feels good - do it, if it doesn't - don't. I had to take a break during the end of the 1st trimester, but was good to go once I hit the 2nd tri.

Shanti - The quilt looks beautiful! I love the colors. Are you going to post a pic of mine, or do I get to be surprised when it gets here?

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#185 of 923 Old 10-04-2006, 05:28 PM

Sallyz, congratulations mama!

HBM, I've been thinking about you and wondering how baby Johannna was doing. I thought you were a-ok. I hope you are a-ok asap. I'm sending healing vibes. Mamabeth, tell her we're sending get well quickly wishes when you see her.

Shanti - be-a-u-ti-ful quilt!!

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#186 of 923 Old 10-04-2006, 05:36 PM

Monakita - your choice. I don't think the pictures ever do the quilts justice but I can post a pic if you want a sneak peak!
#187 of 923 Old 10-04-2006, 06:05 PM

Thanks Geo i can order books from the US they just cost a fortune! I reconded i would just do what felt comfortable until the dreaded morning/allday sickness set in and then just do what i could.

Shanti that quilt is gorgeous, i SSSOOO love pink and that one is so vibrant. Wow, wish i lived there so i couldget one too

Did i say how much i missed you all!!! but we have a faster internet now so it should be easier to try pop in and stay in touch.

( off topic- is there an official pressie from the group to Patti or are people doing their own thing? I wanted to send something special from Africa)
#188 of 923 Old 10-04-2006, 06:05 PM

SallyZ I would love to send you the dingo running while PG book! If you pm me your addy again, i will pop it into the mail! I bribe my kids by finishing my run at the park. If they are cool and let me do my thing, then I am cool and let them do their thing. I also tell them over and over when they aren't 100% happy (Can you imagine that?) that I am doing something really healthy and important for me and this is something I must do. I figure that is a good example and lesson for them to be exposed to.

Shanti, oh Mama, that is absolutely amazing. I opened up the pic and got this amazing burst of color and energy!

Take care Mamas, no yoga today but I did some writing so feeling great.

ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

#189 of 923 Old 10-04-2006, 08:11 PM

Janessa, I hope you're safe.

We;re in the basement after gold ball-sized hail started hitting the windows. The radio is reporting tornado sightings, though it sounds like it's east of us now.

I hope the two miles between us makes Janessa safer from this weather.

Yay midwest weather.
#190 of 923 Old 10-04-2006, 08:49 PM

Editting still doesn't work for me:

golf, not gold.

Can you tell what I've been writing about for work lately?
#191 of 923 Old 10-04-2006, 09:03 PM

We're fine Wendy. It was insane though, ended up in the basement too. Glad to hear you guys are ok. The hail was huge and completely covered the grass in our backyard.
#192 of 923 Old 10-04-2006, 09:33 PM

scary guys! Glad y'all are okay.

So I heard from HBM's dh and now they think it might be appendicitis. What is it with this thread? She was going for a CT scan an hour or two ago and I haven't heard since. But she is in touch with LLL just in case she needs surgery bc they weren't sure how that would work. I will try to let y'all know if I get an update but I am going out of town tomorrow so don't freak out if you don't hear from either of us, okay mamas? I just hate this for her bc she was just getting back to doing some routine stuff after the babe, you know?

Shanti--gorgeous quilt as usual, mama! and I love those colors! I told dh when I go back to work we are ordering a shantiquilt for our bed.

This is the first time today I have not been NAK'ing! I think J is starting to do his year growth spurt. I also ran 8.5 miles this morning so I have been an eating, water-chugging machine today. It was kind of a slog but I knew I'd be glad I did it and I was.

Oh, mamas, thank you SO much for the compliments on my site! and the bod : y'all are so sweet. and I've been meaning to answer moonshine's question about her dd. It really depends on how tall/big she is. We wore my dd until she was about 2.5 or so, and then she was just too dang tall even for the Ergo. That is a hard age...a softpack might work but not for long, I'm afraid. sorry mama! I think we mostly used the umbrella stroller and then around 3.5 dd could walk most places with us, a mile or so.

take care y'all. I will probably be MIA until next Tuesday or so.
#193 of 923 Old 10-04-2006, 09:35 PM

hi all, i've been off the internet so far this week and it's actually working out well -- getting a lot done. had an emotional/crappy day due to fighting with dh but then ended up on a nice trail run before it started pouring down rain.

Congrats Sally! - the only way to get my ds to ride in the stroller is to be going somewhere. the store, the post office the part, etc. then he'll sit good as pie.

HBM - get better soon!
#194 of 923 Old 10-04-2006, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Shanti, my mouth fell open when I looked at that quilt pic. Gorgeous!

HBM, appendicitis - oh no!!! Oh, honey, I pray they figure it out soon and you can be on the road to recovery. The CT scan should tell them, along with her white count - those were the two pieces of info that apparently made my diagnosis (after the ER doc said he wasn't impressed with my belly . I hope someone can give us an update.

Geo, I was like, gold hail, wow, maybe you should run out and collect some... either that or there is a serious air pollution problem there.

I did the 50 mile bike ride today, not the other day (VERY long story - the week did not get off to a good start). I also rode a different route... for those of you familiar with the area, it was from South Nags Head to Duck and back. Pretty freakin' cool, though I should have put sunscreen on my arms...

OK, it's windy out here on the deck and I'm cold, so I'm heading inside...

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#195 of 923 Old 10-04-2006, 10:41 PM

#196 of 923 Old 10-04-2006, 10:47 PM

Oh no, HBM! I hope they get things figured out for her soon.

OT ~ I was just watching the sweetest 5 month old boy. Our friends are moving out of their base house and needed about an hour to finish the final touches, so they asked me to watch him. I am the first "babysitter" he has had. I feel so special. : He was on a blanket for some time playing with his feet, was blowing rasberries at me, and he had tummy time. He is so strong! My favorite part was singing to him... he just watched me and was so concentrated. Poor guy was hungry by the time mom got here, and I couldn't feed him since he's breastfed. You guys, I can't wait to have children!

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#197 of 923 Old 10-04-2006, 10:49 PM

Thanks for the encouragement you guys........... I love vibrant colours but every now and then I wonder if something is too much - stay posted for some other wild quilts this fall To keep things balanced I am finishing up a couple of cushions that are in pastel flowery colours and I love those too I guess both styles reflect different parts of my personality.

Must go to sleep now.
#198 of 923 Old 10-04-2006, 11:06 PM

I need some encouragement. Between things at work and dealing with the aftermath of the storm that knocked out our power on Monday (which still isn't back at work) I haven't run in a week. I'm signed up for that 5K this weekend (saturday). What, if anything, should I do between now and then? I need to get out for at least a short run to blow the dust off, ideally I would have run today and then a supershort run on Friday. Guess maybe just a couple miles easy tomorrow?

Sorry I've been MIA. I just can't get my head above water lately. I cannot wait until life slows down after the end of the month. I am miserable from feeling disconnected with DD and living on sugar and adrenaline and my body feels like crap. The race will probably do me a world of good.
#199 of 923 Old 10-04-2006, 11:08 PM

Oh and Shanti, I'd love to meet you when you come here for American thanksgiving!

Oh and DrJen, I'm behind on my halloween plans for R's costume too. I keep buying more supplies and not doing the actual sewing :-0
#200 of 923 Old 10-05-2006, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Chelsea, I'm sorry things have been so busy for you lately. I'd say you could do 2-3 miles at a moderate pace tomorrow, maybe throw in a few bursts of speed just to remind your legs how that feels. On Friday you could run really really easy or maybe even just take a walk. Good luck in the 5K on Saturday!

To all you Halloween costume sewing mamas: Sewing is a no-go for me. I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#201 of 923 Old 10-05-2006, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
OK nutritional folks chime in on this one:
Coach gave her a magnesium pill (without mom's permission -- mom is , that's another story). Anyhow -- any suggestions on diet? I was thinking maybe she needs more calcium, potassium?
Combination of calsium + magnesium is widely used here in Scandinavia for leg cramps. Though just 1 pill does not cure it, if you get cramps easily magnesium supplement is recommendated to be used longer period of time.
#202 of 923 Old 10-05-2006, 09:31 AM

It's nearly the middle of the night for me right now. 5:00 AM. I can't believe some of you actually get up at this hour or before to run. It will never happen for me, being realistic. I'm sort of answering my own question here before I ask it, but I don't like the answer. I'm up because dh is getting ready to go out of town and he turned on all the lights. I'm going to go back to bed and hopefully sleep for a couple more hours. My kids are out of school through Friday so we're sleeping in and taking it easy. But I woke up feeling really nervous about this 3 day a week marathon training schedule that I'm going to follow 2bb's through.

My dh travels 2 weeks of every month. When he's gone, sometimes I can't get in my short runs. Like today. I am still planning a 40 min. run during Oliver's dance class, but my daughters will just have to sit at a coffee shop or walk around town during that time and I feel like a terrible mother letting them do that. I missed Tuesday's run because I HAD to do the recording for this show and there was no other time to do it. The reason I'm running only 2 weekdays is because I can't fit more runs in (plus my hip is so much happier). I did my long run by myself last weekend, but I almost skipped it because I've gotten used to dh riding his bike with me. But he had a business thing. His job will always trump my running schedule even though he sets his own hours, plans his own travel, and gives lip service to working around family things. If my mom didn't happen to be staying with us for a few months, I wouldn't have gone on the long run, leaving my kids at home and not being able to get to them if an emergency cropped up (besides just running home...but I could be miles away). Am I just deliriously tired right now or is there a possibility that I am setting myself up for failure. I can probably have a few weeks like this early on, but marathon training can't be hit or miss. What happens if I miss my 15 mile long run one weekend? I can't just make it up can I? Or, what if family schedule dictates that it can't be made up? Won't that screw up the rest of my training? Should I stretch out the training by a few weeks to anticipate such things, or will that be too many long, long runs before the big day? The easy answer is that I should get up at 5:00 AM to run on days like to day or Tuesday. I could have fit in a run then. But the thought makes me really annoyed. What is my question exactly? I think it's just a general sense of fear about starting this major thing. I don't want to quit or fail. Many of you have busier lives than me and still do it. A treadmill would be another answer, but unless we can sell our house and move, we have zilch for space (Naomi has moved her bedroom into our office so my mom can have her room). It feels like I have a lot at stake (or steak?!?) because my friends are so athletic. If they hear that I'm doing this, they'll be skeptical to begin with. I don't plan to tell anyone. I wrote this essay called Exercise Fundamentalism about this pressure I feel from my friends. It's like they are fundamentalist evangelists and they need to save my soul. One friend in particular is really judgmental and hard on me when it comes to exercise. But he's great in other areas. I just always feel judged. I started running more than 4 years ago, but they treat me as if I'm still the most beginning of beginners. E.g. I had a 4 mile run a few months ago and one friend asked how it went. I answered honestly, "Gosh, it was hard today. I was much slower than I expected." The answer? "Well, you can't expect too much when you are starting from nothing." Starting from nothing? That person had been running with me occasionally for 3 years! It was a weird thing to say, but encapsulated the way this particular group views me. I kind of want to run this marathon in secret and then let them find out afterward, even though they are all so open about their training schedules. I'm pretty sure I'll do it in secret. And I'll have to listen to lectures on how I should really be getting out there more or riding my bike more, or swimming more, or doing more weight training, etc. And I'll just smile and say thanks for the advice. It feels dishonest. My newest response to their questions about what I'm doing and why my shoulder is still weak, "I'm really happy with my current training schedule." Said with a friendly smile.

Oh I really got off track. it's because it's the middle of the night!!! All my fears and insecurities about running are pouring out.
#203 of 923 Old 10-05-2006, 09:32 AM

It's nearly the middle of the night for me right now. 5:00 AM. I can't believe some of you actually get up at this hour or before to run. It will never happen for me, being realistic. I'm sort of answering my own question here before I ask it, but I don't like the answer. I'm up because dh is getting ready to go out of town and he turned on all the lights. I'm going to go back to bed and hopefully sleep for a couple more hours. My kids are out of school through Friday so we're sleeping in and taking it easy. But I woke up feeling really nervous about this 3 day a week marathon training schedule that I'm going to follow 2bb's through.

My dh travels 2 weeks of every month. When he's gone, sometimes I can't get in my short runs. Like today. I am still planning a 40 min. run during Oliver's dance class, but my daughters will just have to sit at a coffee shop or walk around town during that time and I feel like a terrible mother letting them do that. I missed Tuesday's run because I HAD to do the recording for this show and there was no other time to do it. The reason I'm running only 2 weekdays is because I can't fit more runs in (plus my hip is so much happier). I did my long run by myself last weekend, but I almost skipped it because I've gotten used to dh riding his bike with me. But he had a business thing. His job will always trump my running schedule even though he sets his own hours, plans his own travel, and gives lip service to working around family things. If my mom didn't happen to be staying with us for a few months, I wouldn't have gone on the long run, leaving my kids at home and not being able to get to them if an emergency cropped up (besides just running home...but I could be miles away). Am I just deliriously tired right now or is there a possibility that I am setting myself up for failure. I can probably have a few weeks like this early on, but marathon training can't be hit or miss. What happens if I miss my 15 mile long run one weekend? I can't just make it up can I? Or, what if family schedule dictates that it can't be made up? Won't that screw up the rest of my training? Should I stretch out the training by a few weeks to anticipate such things, or will that be too many long, long runs before the big day? The easy answer is that I should get up at 5:00 AM to run on days like to day or Tuesday. I could have fit in a run then. But the thought makes me really annoyed. What is my question exactly? I think it's just a general sense of fear about starting this major thing. I don't want to quit or fail. Many of you have busier lives than me and still do it. A treadmill would be another answer, but unless we can sell our house and move, we have zilch for space (Naomi has moved her bedroom into our office so my mom can have her room). It feels like I have a lot at stake (or steak?!?) because my friends are so athletic. If they hear that I'm doing this, they'll be skeptical to begin with. I don't plan to tell anyone. I wrote this essay called Exercise Fundamentalism about this pressure I feel from my friends. It's like they are fundamentalist evangelists and they need to save my soul. One friend in particular is really judgmental and hard on me when it comes to exercise. But he's great in other areas. I just always feel judged. I started running more than 4 years ago, but they treat me as if I'm still the most beginning of beginners. E.g. I had a 4 mile run a few months ago and one friend asked how it went. I answered honestly, "Gosh, it was hard today. I was much slower than I expected." The answer? "Well, you can't expect too much when you are starting from nothing." Starting from nothing? That person had been running with me occasionally for 3 years! It was a weird thing to say, but encapsulated the way this particular group views me. I kind of want to run this marathon in secret and then let them find out afterward, even though they are all so open about their training schedules. I'm pretty sure I'll do it in secret. And I'll have to listen to lectures on how I should really be getting out there more or riding my bike more, or swimming more, or doing more weight training, etc. And I'll just smile and say thanks for the advice. It feels dishonest. My newest response to their questions about what I'm doing and why my shoulder is still weak, "I'm really happy with my current training schedule." Said with a friendly smile.

Oh I really got off track. it's because it's the middle of the night!!! All my fears and insecurities about running are pouring out.
#204 of 923 Old 10-05-2006, 12:42 PM

Hi Mamas!
Ah, so good to be home! I even have some time that I can use to try to catch up here! What luxury!

Cheryl Ann - ! I don't know about the marathon training schedule and fitting it all in, I'm having exactly the same thoughts myself now that dh is so gung ho to do the full race. However, the condescending friend business is something I've totally been working on recently and I know how much it sucks! I also know how incredibly hard it seems to stand up for yourself in that kind of situation because they "mean well" and they aren't trying to make you feel like crap, yet they are doing just that right? I really think that either you need to say, "hey, back off, I've been running for 4 years now, I'm not a total beginner and I don't appreciate your tone." Or you can avoid them and find different friends. Obviously finding new friends is hardly the easy option but really, if you don't want to share something as relatively impersonal as "I'm thinking of training for a marathon" how can you possibly feel supported enough to say anything about any other serious issue you need support with?
Honestly, I'm grappling with the same thing here, a "friend" loves to tell me in that condescending way about how her dd was at my dd's age (they are three months apart!) and how all the classes and schools and random thoughts she has about her dd are so much more focused and productive than mine are since I've only been a mom for such a comparatively short time . So I have been avoiding her because A) it's easier than telling her off and B)I don't think I need her friendship such as it is, nearly as much as I used to think I did. But I know that if the opportunity arises for me to tell her that I don't like her tone arises and I take it, I will feel so good about myself for standing up to her at last. So maybe just think about these "friends" and take stock of what, if anything, they add to your life that is positive, that makes you feel good and happy and supported. If there isn't anything in the + column, maybe you should move on without them. And, last thought, you have mentioned that you tend to judge yourself critically and are hard on yourself for not measuring up to some perfect ideal. Having friends who judge you is only going to add kindling to that unhealthy pattern and make you feel like it is somehow normal to have friends who make you feel bad about yourself (well, it may be normal, but it sure isn't healthy!).
Anyway, no matter what you know a ferocious pack of dingos that believe you can do whatever you decide to do and we'll support you to get you all the way to whatever goal you set yourself.

Okay, I'll be back for more later but for now,

Congratulations Patti! : Gabriel Griffin! I love the name, it was our pick it was if we had a boy.

HBM ! I hope you're okay!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#205 of 923 Old 10-05-2006, 12:52 PM

Cheryl- Darling you will find the time. It will be there. Your friends can shove it. That's about as PG as I can say it. I didn't tell anyone I was running again last year for more than 6 weeks, I couldn't handle the pressure coming form a running family. Now a lot of this was self-imposed pressure to be as good as them. I am appalled at the things people say these days when someone is trying to improve their health. IMO it is usually a reflection of their own insecurities. I started a thread on sparkpeople about dealing with people's negative comments about loosing weight and getting in shape. I have been having a hard time with folks around here but my experiences pale in comparison to some of the things said to folks looking to improve their lives. This is for you, period. Take a deep breathe, hold your head high and look them straight in the eye and politely let them have it when they make comments like that.
#206 of 923 Old 10-05-2006, 12:55 PM

Oh, plady, your post brought me to tears. You know my friends? You are so right. I have been reaching out my feelers to expand into new relationships and it's been good. These friends of mine probably feed off of my neurosis and lack of positive self-image. But so much has changed for me over the last year. They just haven't gotten caught up. I'm not SO neurotic anymore, and my self-image is much improved. They would be really hurt to find out that I'm questioning our friendships (there is this group of 6...3 couples). So, I'm going to keep reaching out to them with love and openness, but keep some of the details of my life to myself unless they ask. Thanks for the support plady. We can do this!!!
#207 of 923 Old 10-05-2006, 12:56 PM

Cross posted, 2bb's!! Thank you!!!
#208 of 923 Old 10-05-2006, 01:26 PM

Hey all,
Paige asked me to post an update out here. She is still in the hospital and has been through a few diagnosises (sp?) as they are not 100% sure what the problem is. First it was endometriosis, then they did ct scan for appendicitus or other internal organ problems (came back negative for any problems). One of the blood cultures they took shows out of the ordinary bacteria, so this morning, they told us they are pretty sure she has a bacterial infection in her bloodstream. She will be in the hospital until at least Saturday, maybe longer, so they can continue IV meds for it, and to ensure that is actualy the problem. She is doing a little better, but still in a lot of pain.
Please continue to pray for speedy healing, and for the doctors that they may find the correct problem and fix it.

Thanks so much to all
John

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#209 of 923 Old 10-05-2006, 01:40 PM

Paige, goodness, I hope you are on the mend soon!! :hearbeat

cherylann, to you mama

OT question: how do you tote your cloth wet wipes? I had a PUL pouch with zipper made for mine, but it leaks through the PUL (new). I now have a zip lock back, ick.

OT question: what material woudl you recommend getting to make cloth napkins? Thanks!

gotta jet, little one waiting on "num nums" for nap time !
Lisa
#210 of 923 Old 10-05-2006, 01:41 PM

Paige I am thinking of you and willing those antibiotics to kick in and knock out that infection. I want you to feel better Mama

I don't have much time but wanted to add, CherylAnn, I would love to read your essay!

Talk to you more later, ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page