WITCH way are you running, mama? (Running Mamas October) - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 923 Old 10-07-2006, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope you ladies are right!

Even though, as a kid, when I was i sports and was fit I still had this problem. Oh well, I'll try a cover and if it annoys me I won't feel bad!

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#242 of 923 Old 10-07-2006, 11:45 AM

I had it as a kid too! It was awful... It really did go away, though.. after I had been running for about 6 months, if I remember right. (Although it was probably a lot faster for the other mamas here. I'm slow to improve sometimes.)

One thing that I still have to do is make sure my ears are covered when it is cold and I'm running... otherwise I get wicked ear aches afterwards.

Good luck!

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#243 of 923 Old 10-07-2006, 12:08 PM

Hi mamas,

Sorry I've been AWOL during my inlaws' visit. They're still here, but I'm just checking in before my 1/2 marathon tomorrow. Have been slacking the last week, but hopefull that'll mean I have lots of glycogen stored up

Not doing well with life balance, and broke down to DH about it last night. More after MIL and her friend leave Tues.

Balancin and Missbliss - hope you have great races today!!

Amara
#244 of 923 Old 10-07-2006, 12:26 PM

Good luck in your 1/2 Amara! I can't wait to hear a race report.

I just got in from my run, and I have successfuly completed my 1st week with this training program. I'm trying to decide what my reward for this week should be. :

Ok, off to shower and clean. We have a friend coming in from AZ today.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#245 of 923 Old 10-07-2006, 01:43 PM

Wawoof - run hard tomorrow and I hope the IL visit goes well.

I did it again! I jogged 30 minutes straight... I'm at a 12:30 min pace now...but who cares. I'm still moving. I've really blown away all my pre-perceptions of pregnancy running. Now, I feel like I'm in unchartered territory and have no idea what to predict so I just take it from one day to the next. I checked my pulse and it was about 144-150 which seems reasonable to me. I don't feel tired at all.

anyway, dd has been sick for several days (puking stuff). SHe's crashed on the daybed right now. Dh is being a I have no idea what's up his butt. And I'm trying to make a belle (beauty and the beast) dress before the 28th (her b-day party)...augggh.
#246 of 923 Old 10-07-2006, 01:52 PM

Hi again mamas,

Wawoof, good luck tomorrow!

MissBliss and Balancin - You guys must already be off and away! I hope you all have great races, looking forward to some reports!

I realized I've been posting nothing about actual running! So, to get back on topic, yesterday dh and I ran out to our country place. It is only about 6 miles so it wasn't too tough but it was all on wet cobblestones and/or thick sticky mud so that upped the degree of difficulty a bit. It was fun to get out and run to the house since normally we drive and it takes about 30 minutes, running it only took us an hour. I don't think I'll be running that particular route again soon though, the cobblestones really are uncomfortable to run on, I found it impossible to get a steady pace since I had to decide exactly where and how to plant my foot each step of the way.
I'm still waiting for race pix to be posted from the race but I will try to get our team picture up somehow for y'all.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#247 of 923 Old 10-07-2006, 02:24 PM

Update on Paige:
Paige was discharged from the hospital a little while ago and is thankfully now back home and resting. The docs determined that she has a form of E Coli in her blood. Not like the kind from spinach a couple weeks ago--the bacteria they found would be normal in her intestinal tract, but not in her blood, hence all the problems. They gave her some oral anti-biotics and sent her packing, which is great since you just can't rest in a hospital, and that's before you throw a 2 week old baby in the mix

Paige is resting but can get up and about so I am sure she will be on here posting again soon. Thanks to everyone for the thoughts, prayers and kind messages.

John

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#248 of 923 Old 10-07-2006, 02:29 PM

Thanks HBD (John) for the update. I'm glad HBM is home and resting now. You must all be exhausted. I wish I lived closer so I could help with something.

#249 of 923 Old 10-07-2006, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Heal fast Paige. I'm so glad to hear you are home.

Thank you for the update John.
#250 of 923 Old 10-07-2006, 02:49 PM

I'm glad to hear you are home Paige. Rest easy and heal.

Thanks John for letting us know she's home.
#251 of 923 Old 10-07-2006, 03:16 PM

Patti- So glad to see you pop in! And already walking a mile. The pictures were phenonminal. Enjoy these first weeks they go by so fast.

HBM- Hope are on the mend soon!

Ran 12 miles this morning...It felt good, my IT band is a little tight from these extra miles. I've been seeing a massage therapist to work that and a shoulder issue out. I figure if I am going to run a marathon I'm going to have to address it. I took a completely different route than usual. Now that my distance range has widened I find myself venturing out in different directions. Helps make the time go faster. At this point I am not really "training" for anything imminently but don't want to loose the fitness level of this kind of distance. It seems weird to maintenance this high but I am going to try and keep my LR in the 10-16 mile range.

I am going shopping tomorrow with my mom. I have officially hit my goal weight of 135lbs. I have no pants(and few underwear) that fit. It's kind of a weird place to be. First off I have never been this small. Loosing weight was always the primary reason why I ran. The reason to increase distance and speed. Now that I don't have the pressure we'll see. I think I could loose about 3-5 lbs more for my frame. I am probably going to maintenance here for awhile and see how it all settles. Maybe before tri season I can see if I want to drop it. My body actually may do it on it's own as my metabolism seems to have really sped up. I will say that mostly at this point I am mourning the loss of my boobs. Two years ago I was an 36D and now I am done to a 32/34A. However loosing the weight did get rid of the lopsidedness I had from a one sided nurser(ds from 10 months on).

Why I run...this will be a new journey. I run for mental clarity. To show my kids a healthy lifestyle. To be outside in a world that always seems cooped up inside. Because just showing up/getting out the door makes you good at it. It completes me.
#252 of 923 Old 10-07-2006, 03:28 PM

29:40 and change!

I was hoping for a bit faster than that, but that meets my goal. And I finished well ahead of both the woman with the poodle who kept darting round me on the second mile AND the annoying woman in the blue top who kept running ahead of me and then stopping and turning around to talk to her friend. I saw her jogging to cool down and almost ran after her to tell her what I thought of her but decided I better practice being diplomatic first. DH says I race like I drive, never forgetting an annoyance. Hey ND, we should really race together some time.

I did almost get beat by a woman with a jog stroller, not that the mamas on this board don't mostly fall into that category, but it is somehow different when you are running neck and neck w/ someone for an entire race. I lost her in the last half mile though.

I'm eager to see what my chip time is, and glad I did not bag out of this race as I was tempted to do. It didn't feel particularly good, and not in a working-really-hard-to-go-fast kinda way, but more in a why-did-I-ever-sign-up-for-this kinda way. Please tell me there's a point at which sometimes you race and work super hard and it feels good like a hard workout that feels good. Right now I am still wondering why I sign up.
Perhaps I just need to do more of them so I feel like I belong there.

I am looking forward to an off season where I just run instead of working towards a race though I do not keep up the effort nearly as well without a goal to look towards.

Why I run: running makes me feel like the "real me" in a way that nothing else does. I don't know quite how else to describe it but I am never as content with myself doing practically anything else as I am when I am running. And, I like knowing that I can cover distance on foot if I have to, it is very empowering. And, I am an endorphin JUNKIE. :

Good luck tomorrow, Wawoof! I was thinking of what you said about who you compare yourself to as I was lining up for the race, and decided that I didn't need to worry about whether the 18 year olds all around me were faster than my 33 yr old, overweight, overworked mama self.

Missbliss, hope you had a good race!

HBD, thanks for the update on HBM and healthy healthy recovery vibes to your household!

Thinking of you, Patti Ann!
#253 of 923 Old 10-07-2006, 03:39 PM

: Congrats Chelsea!!
#254 of 923 Old 10-07-2006, 03:57 PM

Great time B1!!!!

I hate annoyer racers like that. I especially hate when there is an old man who likes to sprint past me then walk. Sometimes he'll let me run past, but most of the time he'll start running again right as he hears me about to pass. Can you tell this has happened to me on more than one occasion?!

#255 of 923 Old 10-07-2006, 04:00 PM

At this point I can't imagine running for that long!

HBM-- Feel better soon!

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#256 of 923 Old 10-07-2006, 04:38 PM

Yay Chelsea! You gotta change that location.

Why I run:

Sanity and cardiovascular health. Weight is often in the back of my head, but my mantra is that my waistline isn't the bottom line. I aim to have a resting pulse of <55 bpm. If I run 3-4 times a week, I'm there easily. It climbs to 60 or more when I'm stressed out at work or I'm not running. I also find that I'm more effective at work and I deal with difficult people better if my legs are just a bit sore.
#257 of 923 Old 10-07-2006, 05:16 PM

hello ladies,
Just got back from my 1/2 marathon. I ran a 1:33. Was hoping for alittle better but got third in my age group. The only thing now is, I have to keep that pace for my marathon in 3 weeks. Which with all the miles i put in , hopefully that will happen. My only concern is the weather, its gonna be much colder than i,m used to running in.
Anyways, why I run. Well i started running to stay fit during and after three pregnancies (one of those pregnancies include twins). Then I started running alot and people told me I should run races with as many miles as i run. So now I run to run races and because now I am also sponsored to run them. And i swear by running. Running gives me the workout like no other activity can do (or that i'v tried). ANd lastly, with four kids it releases endorphins that keep me sain .
Well that's all for now.
#258 of 923 Old 10-07-2006, 05:17 PM

HBM so glad you are homw i hope you get lots of rest.

Patti- nice to hear from you, enjoy your new boy

B1 congrats great time well done

Why i run: i ran at school i am too un-coordinated to do ball sports so i always ran. I dreamed on doing the ultra i did in June since i was a child and now i just love being fit and feeling healthy again.

Merry Mailers card exchange
those interested please pm me your name address and your kids names, i will remind everyone for a week or 2 and then send out a list of all those taking part for eveyone to mail to. My dd loves opening cards so she is going to love this
#259 of 923 Old 10-07-2006, 07:46 PM

After 4 weeks off, I went for my first run today. I ran 2.75, and my hip hurts. I'm going to have to go to a sports medicine doctor, I think. Anyway, I iced, ibuprofened (new word! ) and stretched. We'll see how it feels tomorrow. The chiropractic care I've been receiving obviously isn't doing the trick, and neither is rest. If I want to run another marathon next year (or, run at ALL, I guess) I need to get this fixed now.

As I turned on my Garmin, there it was.. my last run: the 10 miler up the canyon. It made me sad that I've had to take so much time off. I know I've lost quite a bit of fitness, and my heart rate has increased again. It tends to be high anyway, and all the distance running I was doing had actually brought it down into the 50's for the first time in my life. Usually it is in the 70's, or 80's when I'm stressed.

Why I run: Running defines me. I am a runner. It is how I stay thin. It is how I stay healthy. It is my main source of stress relief. It is the one thing I do for myself. It gets me outside and breathing fresh (although polluted) air. It keeps my dogs sane, makes them bark & destroy less, and it is my quality bonding time with them. It is how I challenge myself. It is a great source of self esteem. God, I love running.

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#260 of 923 Old 10-07-2006, 09:17 PM

WTG Chelsea!

spectacular autumn day here - the foliage is in peak color and the tourists are swarming. this is the weekend that we don't leave the house by car because it's just too difficult to go anywhere. K and I made it out earlier this morning and went for a nice hike in the woods. then this afternoon i went for a fabulous mountain bike ride. loved it.

now ds is settling himself down for the night, dh is out for 'man night' and I have the house to myself for a few hours

the only negative is that i actually ran out of thread for the sewing machine today and can't finish my projects in process. hopefully tomorrow i'll be able to get out and cross the road to pick up some more - have to go before all the tourists start heading home.
#261 of 923 Old 10-07-2006, 09:30 PM

subbing again, ladies you are inspiring
#262 of 923 Old 10-07-2006, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I had a great time at the cabin - the loudest sound I heard there was my own heartbeat I got some good reading done for my course, a couple of paintings, and a LOT of sleep. I came home, picked up our turkey for Monday, and we headed out to Pumpkinfest - much touted fair type even here - and hated it. Expensive, boring, the kids were grumpy by the end - I hate stuff like that. $40 down the tubes.: At least they won't be bugging us to go next year. I came home and threw up everything I ate there, which wasn't much but apprently it was as gross as it looked - I was just so hungry. The kids have been doing the whining waltz since we got home - as soon as one finishes a meltdown, the next one starts. Thank goodness they are all in bed now.

I have anitehr headache adn can't see a massage therapist for another 10 days - I think I may need to phone my doctor on Tuesday, it has been nearly two months of daily headaches and revolvong back/neck pain. It looks like I can't just suck it up.
#263 of 923 Old 10-07-2006, 09:48 PM

Thanks for all the kind words. I am baffled as to what to put for my location now. Don't quite think I can cut another full minute off my miles, yet. I do need to set another goal though. I have been basking in having met this one, more for the meeting of it than the goal. With everything that has been out of my power lately it is nice to feel effective.

good work, twinsr4me!

I need to stop obsessively reloading the results page for the ce to find my chip time alternated with reloading itunes to see if they've posted the new episode of battlestar galactica. I am such a nerd.

grmtnmama, the roads around here have been impassable lately too--last weekend was the half marathon and this weekend in addition to the 5k there was a dog walk and some sort of sports festival. Wish you lived across the street, DH was just commenting that I have more thread than the tailors in one of the ground floor storefronts in our building.
#264 of 923 Old 10-07-2006, 09:56 PM

HBM--Sending warm, healing thoughts for you to be healthy and strong.

ND--Yes, I am loving the warm weather and am soaking up every second of it that I can. I think on some level I am thinking there is some way I can store a little excess vitamin D for winter.

hmsmomma4/Michele and Shanti--Another oldie but goodie here (38 years). Michele, I am interested in being a doula too. After birthing my own I am your stereoptypic birth junkie type person. I have taken the DONA course, but thus far I have not been at any births other than my own.

Shanti--Your quilt is beautiful. Bright colors like that are my favorite.

CherylAnn--5am is the middle of the night for me too. Sure wish my almost 3yo DS felt that way too. About your friend making the negative comment after you shared that you had a hard day on a 4 mile run--that is hard. I have had some similar struggles with coping with people saying/doing things that bother me. I have been reading about buddhism to see if that helps. Also, in The Dance of Anger Harriet Lerner talks about how women sometimes get stuck being a nice lady or a bitch. I think I sometimes worry about being the latter so I end up being the former. Anyway, her idea is that you're supposed to find a way to be in the middle, to assert yourself without being aggressive about it. I should probably reread it. I feel like since I have had kids I have been opting more to take the path of least resistance and just smile and nod. But then it eats away at me. Ideally I would like to just let what they say/do be their issue and not let it bother me. Easier said than done.

Cloth wipes--We are using a diaper service so we are currently using sposie wipes. But when I used cloth wipes I carried dry wipes and used my water bottle to wet them. For sticky poop I like having something to help the wipe glide. I have used kissaluvs diaper lotion potion and california baby diaper spray in conjunction with the wet cloth wipe. Another thing I have done is squirted cetaphil (a mild cleanser the consistency of lotion) on the child's bottom to help the wipe glide.

Megan--I am not sure if this relates to your problem or not, but I sometimes have problems with hacking up big gobs of phlegm when I exercise outside when it is cold (sorry if TMI). I have no idea why. When I have mentioned this to physicians in the past they didn't have too much to say. I have thought about seeing a naturopath to see if there are any potential solutions there. In the past I have dealt with my problem by retreating indoors to exercise. This year I want to try finding a way to stay outside. My grandpa, who is a farmer in North Dakota, wears a disposable dust mask over his nose and mouth when he is working outside when it is cold. I have sometimes tried using a scarf for this purpose. The downside I have experienced is my face getting wet from my respiration and icicles forming on my scarf like Monica experienced. If you find a good solution please share!

Why I run--like Sally, I am also too un-coordinated to do ball sports. I can hang in there and endure though, which I think makes me well--suited to running. I also love running. In everyday life I often have an urge to break into a run, and there are times I step on this and force myself not to because I don't want people to think I am chasing them. I am intrigued by the idea of racing and am very impressed with those of you that do it. It sounds way more complicated than I realized! I am not a very competitive person at all. In hs track I would feel bad when I passed people and offer words of support as I went by. Now the idea of training for a race seems appealing if for no other reason than to get me to take the time to run when so many other things can so easily take up my time.

My running--yesterday DP watched my DD so I took the jog stroller to pick up DS at preschool. I left late so I had to really book to make it there on time. It was my best running day I have had in a long time! It was so much less of a struggle than it's been. I didn't think about stopping once--probably because I knew I would be late if I did. This got me thinking about how psychological factors can affect your workout, which hadn't really occurred to me before.
#265 of 923 Old 10-07-2006, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balancin1 View Post
Thanks for all the kind words. I am baffled as to what to put for my location now. Don't quite think I can cut another full minute off my miles, yet. I do need to set another goal though.
How 'bout at 10k?

We now have the pieces for a skunk costume (Karen) and a tiger costume (Elliot), both Karen's ideas.

On Friday I talked to a friend about the storm and she got me freaked out that it might have ruined our roof. We checked it out today, and everything's ok. It turns out this week's storm took out most of our garden, though. When I was back there taking stock, I noticed that the back of our rear neighbor's garage is now full of holes. I'll stop by our neighbor's tomorrow to tell them about it.
#266 of 923 Old 10-08-2006, 12:21 AM

2bb's, WTG!!!! How tall are you? I'm so happy for you! I think you are at MY goal weight, too.

WTG, Balancin1!!! I am a huge BG fan, but of the old series. I don't get the sci-fi channel. Do you like the old one, too? I was so mad when they made Starbuck a female and then paired her off with Apollo. Sheesh! I hear it's really good, though. I'd probably love it.

Zeldasmom, thanks for the book suggestion. Sounds like it's exactly what I need! Ugh!! The vote you guys are coming to in Wisconsin just makes my blood boil!!! I hope it goes well!!!!! My friend wrote this book this summer: http://www.straightintogayamerica.com/ It's absolutely fantastic!!! He's a Lutheran pastor and just today started a blog conversation with another Lutheran pastor who is opposed to equal rights. Here's the blog: http://larsclausen.blogspot.com/

Why do I run? I first started because my new friends ran (the same ones that are driving me bonkers lately). I had been told by chiropractors that I should never run. Turned out that most of my back problems completely disappeared after I'd been running for a few months. At first I ran to be like my friends. They were fit and happy and I wanted to feel that way, too. Plus, I needed to lose weight. Now I run because I learned to like it. I love training for events. I love competing with myself to get a better time. It really doesn't help me lose weight at the level I'm running now...just increases my appetite...but I feel stronger. I think the most important thing for me now is that I want to be a good example to my kids. My parents are both obese and inactive. Dh is naturally fit, but inactive. If my kids get my fat genes, I want them to have a model for healthy living that includes regular exercise.
#267 of 923 Old 10-08-2006, 12:25 AM

Forgot to mention that tomorow I'm going to run 7.3 miles! I mapped it out today. Dh will ride his bike with me. I'm looking forward to it. I dropped about 10 lbs. again, so my last run, on Thursday was faster and stronger. I'm hoping to do it in 10 min. miles.
#268 of 923 Old 10-08-2006, 12:38 AM

wow this board really hops!! or runs!! haha so funny.
today i took the poor dog for a 4 mile jog/walk. she was so good. she isn't quite a year old and for a while was just aweful to go with. this time she didn't pull or trip me, not even once.
tomorrow i am planning on doing my long run for the week. it should be about8 miles. some of it i will probably walk.
so when you are training for a half marathon, say your first one, (ok... this would be me), it ok to concentrate on you distance as opposed to your time. my goal is to finish within a reasonable time. what is a reasonable time? b/c when i see you ran a half marathon in one hour and 33 minutes, i am thinking i am way way way out of my league here.
why i run: i wish i could remember the words to melissa etheridges song "i run for life" when you are running your races for the cure... think of that song. it is powerful and will keep you motivated.
oh yeah... why i run: i have always turned to running in times of stress in my life. now i think i just love it. i love how i feel after, even if it is sweaty and gross... i kinda like that i worked hard feeling. definetly mental health. i will admit that i hate the getting out and going part, but i love it once i am doing it and feel great when i have done it.
i love being a doula. you will get your births in. talk to all your pregnant friends. offer your services to midwives in your area. oh yeah... you know how you had to attend the childbirth classes? well get in touch with the teacher and offer to talk about doulas to the class. then offer you services for free or actually for evaluations. then go back and talk to the classes every few months. also prenatal fitness and yoga classes.
thanks for keeping me motivated
peace
michele
#269 of 923 Old 10-08-2006, 01:20 AM

Quote:
b/c when i see you ran a half marathon in one hour and 33 minutes, i am thinking i am way way way out of my league here.
Hey Hms - I thought the same thing, my race last week wasn't even a full 1/2 and it took me over 2 hours to finish. 1:33 is superfast. But then didn't she go on to say she is sponsored?? As in, paid to run? Majorly out of my league! But don't fret, some of us here are still slow (okay, I mainly speak for myself )

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#270 of 923 Old 10-08-2006, 08:28 AM

hms - ya totally okay to go for distance not time. That's always my philosophy. I think I did a half two years ago in 1:55 and I was THRILLED!! I have a friend who did it with 13 minute miles and she was just as thrilled. It's all in what you want. For me the 1/2 is the perfect distance. It's long enough to really get lost in a run, but not so long that you are dying (aka the marathon) for weeks after....KWIM?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page