WITCH way are you running, mama? (Running Mamas October) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 923 Old 09-29-2006, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome to the October running mama thread (a little early). Everyone's welcome here; we have all levels, speeds, distances, you name it we've got it. The thread moves fast, but please just jump in and keep up at whatever pace suits you.

Here's the race list. Since I'm about to go out of town, please PM me any changes that need to be made! I'll have an easier time getting all the updates from my PM box than from posts if I'm catching up on a bunch. Thx!

CherylAnn - 5K - October 21
annelizabeth - half - October 22
Geo & Janessa - 5K - October 28
kpinny - Marine Corps Marathon - October 29
twinsr4me - marathon - October 29
mamabeth, 2babybees - Atlanta Half Marathon - November 23
Balancin1 - 8K - November 24

The Preggo Dingo List

ND - December 5 -
BBM - December 30 -
sally_Z

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#2 of 923 Old 09-29-2006, 11:02 PM

Oops! Skipping the century tomorrow. I have rehearsal and, well, I haven't been on my bike in two weeks.

But, I AM doing the 5k in a few weeks. Still don't know the date.

Thanks for the new board!
#3 of 923 Old 09-29-2006, 11:08 PM

Thanks for starting the new thread with such an awesome title! I'm doing a 5-miler on Oct. 7 Presidential Road Race, and I'm taking suggestions for t-shirt slogans, as we run past the Bush compound....
#4 of 923 Old 09-29-2006, 11:12 PM

subbing...looking for a new event between now and the Thanksgiving 1/2...

Also title votes for a senior title!

Ran 2 miles smoking fast(7:30min/mile) on the TM after my spinning class this evening. Tomorrow is an easy 10 miles in the morning.
#5 of 923 Old 09-29-2006, 11:22 PM

Subbing--and freaking out a bit to realize next weekends' 5K snuck up on me...
#6 of 923 Old 09-29-2006, 11:33 PM

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#7 of 923 Old 09-29-2006, 11:41 PM

I don't know if it is allergies or a cold, but I am miserable in bed. (with the dingos ) And of course I have a super busy work day tomorrow. I have been busy with the neti pot, so I hope it works its magic.

mamabliss, it was you who said you do Music Together? Well, we went today. My kids just love love love it. We haven't been in 2 or 3 semesters, and we still have to listen to the cds almost every day. They were the stars in class today. Now I am trying to convince DD1 to go to soccer practice tomorrow, since she loved doing it with school this summer, but she is having some objection.
#8 of 923 Old 09-29-2006, 11:52 PM

Love the title!

I got my 28 minute run in today before having to go to Shiah's school for Fall Festival. I'm so not good a functions. Man head it going to explode. I've very glad I ran first or I probably would have been twitching in the corner.

This is my last week of C25K and I'm still pretty far from actually running 3 miles. I think I'm getting about 2.1ish at 28 minutes so a long way to go. I still have time and I'm thinking I'll just increase 3 minutes a week which gets me to 39 minutes running and hopefully 3 miles before the 5K. Does that sound alright? I'd be so pissed if I hurt myself now after how far I've come lol

I'm so greatful that Wendy linked me to this group, and I'm feeling sappy tonight lol THANK YOU Wendy for planting the seed and helping to get me moving, you rock.
#9 of 923 Old 09-29-2006, 11:55 PM

Sorry I have been on an internet hiatus for awhile. I can't seem to juggle everything life is throwing at me right now. Nothing serious and nothing bad, just lots of things going on.

My DH had his interview in Appleton and decided to pass on the opportunity based on salary and travelling too much. Now he has about 5 opportunities in the St. Louis area and a couple in Chicago. We'll see how things turn out there.

Tomorrow is my biathlon. It starts at 8am. Luckily, my husband is also doing it or I think I'd stay in bed. : Hopefully I will feel more positive about running and biking once it's over.

Patti - I am sorry I missed the Griffin Patrick 5K. I was thinking and praying for your family, and I saw the pictures. It looked like a beautiful birthday and day of reflection. Tomorrow during my race, I will say a few extra prayers in rememberance.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#10 of 923 Old 09-30-2006, 12:09 AM

Jen Love - good luck tomorrow! Most of all, HAVE FUN!!!

DrJen, are you running a 5K manana?

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#11 of 923 Old 09-30-2006, 12:17 AM

Hi Mamas, subbing.

Patti I am thinking of you Mama

ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

#12 of 923 Old 09-30-2006, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
I don't know if it is allergies or a cold, but I am miserable in bed. (with the dingos )
For some reason I had to read this 3 times before I got what you meant. (Oh! You're in bed because you are sick!) My mind is SO in the gutter. : I hope you feel better soon!!

Glad y'all like the title.

Good luck tomorrow, Jenlove! I can't wait to hear how it goes, and hopefully see pics.

Okay, I'm convinced. I'm going to try to find Music Together for DD next week. We signed her up for her first swim lessons today and she starts next Saturday. DH made the mistake of showing her the pool while we were there, and she misunderstood and thought we were going to swim TODAY. When we left she threw herself face down on the sidewalk outside the building screaming. That is the first time she's ever done that. Ahhh, the tantrums that are to come. :

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#13 of 923 Old 09-30-2006, 12:19 AM

subbing.

still here in spirit.
#14 of 923 Old 09-30-2006, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate~mom View Post
subbing.

still here in spirit.
Hi! Hope you are doing OK... hopefully you're just busy, and a good busy, not a bad busy...

#15 of 923 Old 09-30-2006, 12:38 AM

yes - all is well, just no time to post. there are some minor family crises going on in our extended family, but it's not taking too much of a toll on us directly.

i'm still running - the four days a week schedule is holding - two short, fast runs during the week, usually with o in the jogger after i pick him up from daycare, and two longer runs on the weekend. i'm looking at speed, not distance these days - if i don't run with the jogger, i'm training at 7:30 pace. i'm hoping to break that 20 minute mark for the 5K in two weeks. it was a really great event last year, and i would love to get into the top three this year. so far, i only see one of the super-fast people around here registered yet - and she hasn't raced much this summer. i'm still fairly down about the philly race, so i need this for a mental boost before going into a long, cold season of winter running.

work is great but hectic. the kids are fabulous - other than e being completely indecisive about a halloween costume.
#16 of 923 Old 09-30-2006, 08:16 AM

Hi y'all......

katemom, I am so impressed with your mileage for the year! I think I'm going to do that in 07.

I ran 9.5 miles yesterday, and it felt really good. Increasing by a mile each time seems to work pretty well for me although I'm going to have to cut it down next week bc we're travelling again. This month is crazy for us...dh is calling it "Rocktober" which makes me laugh every single time for some reason.

got to write a sermon, take care y'all.
#17 of 923 Old 09-30-2006, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

See you tomorrow night Janessa! Adding 3-5 minutes per week is perfect.
#18 of 923 Old 09-30-2006, 08:49 AM

Well my DH and I have decided against the race.

He has only slept 10 hours in the last 2 days, I have a horrible headache, and we're not prepared. My coach used to tell us that it was a privledge to gain mileage or compete against the best competition there was. I haven't earned this. Maybe if I have to miss a race and donate my t-shirt.. I'll be prepared next time.

I'm printing off Hal Higdon's 5K plan, and it starts today.

#19 of 923 Old 09-30-2006, 11:03 AM

Subbing...have not run in more than a week. Starting to feel : but dh takes off tomorrow, so evening runs will commence. On the TM, but I have a plan. I'll alternate between short and intense and short and easy, and if I even feel really motivated, I'll shoot for a full hour...but no pressure, just looking to not lose too much fitness while fasting.
#20 of 923 Old 09-30-2006, 11:16 AM

:
#21 of 923 Old 09-30-2006, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I woke up with something seized - lower than lower back, higher than SI. MIL gave me a 30 minute massage gift certificate for my birthday. I didn't use it through that whole neck/back/hip thng, but I will use it next week - just in case I am heading down that path again. I feel like such an old woman somed ays - this cold, damp weather doesn't help much.

monakita - the quilt is well under way - my dd is in love with it! I worked on a couple of other projects for a little while last night, trying some new techniques. I have a new machine and it is a joy to sew with! I will post pics when I get these cushions done.

pattiann - I am thinking of you this weekend mama
#22 of 923 Old 09-30-2006, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
Welcome to the October running mama thread (a little early). Everyone's welcome here; we have all levels, speeds, distances, you name it we've got it. The thread moves fast, but please just jump in and keep up at whatever pace suits you.

Here's the race list. Since I'm about to go out of town, please PM me any changes that need to be made! I'll have an easier time getting all the updates from my PM box than from posts if I'm catching up on a bunch. Thx!

DrJen - 5K - September 30
JenLove - biathlon - September 30
kpinny - half - September
lucenamama - half - October 1
Plady - half - October 1
Balancin1 - 5K - October 7
missbliss - 5 miler - October 7
wawoof - RNR Half San Jose - October 8
kate~mom - 5K - October 14
CherylAnn - 5K - October 14(?)
annelizabeth - half - October 22
Geo & Janessa - 5K - October 28
kpinny - Marine Corps Marathon - October 29
mamabeth, 2babybees - Atlanta Half Marathon - November 23
Balancin1 - 8K - November 24

The Preggo Dingo List

Patti Ann - October 2 - :
ND - December 5 -
BBM - December 30 -
I'll be running my fourth marathon oct 29 in detroit, mi! just thought id chime in
twinsr4me
#23 of 923 Old 09-30-2006, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsr4me View Post
I'll be running my fourth marathon oct 29 in detroit, mi! just thought id chime in
twinsr4me
You go girl!
Where are you from? I grew up in the UP of Michigan, and all of my family is still there. We go back to visit often. I wish I still lived up nort'.

#24 of 923 Old 09-30-2006, 03:40 PM

Quote:
twinsr4me
That's my DD's birthday. Want to stop by after the race for some cake?

#25 of 923 Old 09-30-2006, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLove View Post
You go girl!
Where are you from? I grew up in the UP of Michigan, and all of my family is still there. We go back to visit often. I wish I still lived up nort'.
we used to live in grand rapids, mi. and all of my husbands family is still there for the most part. we are just killing two birds with one stone by running a marathon and visiting family at the same time. And id much rather run detroits marathon and go into canada than grand rapids the same day.
I, too have friends who live in the UP. anyways, nice chating.
twinsr4me
#26 of 923 Old 09-30-2006, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonikitaUT View Post
That's my DD's birthday. Want to stop by after the race for some cake?
you live in detroit? ever run the detroit marathon? if so, any pointers?
#27 of 923 Old 09-30-2006, 04:41 PM

Howdy! : I've missed a lot in a week.

thanks for thinking of me and my 'log jam' as Chris calls it.... (the painful lump in my lower abdomen) Colonoscopy was fine... some hemmorhoids and IBS, that's it. Don't know what's causing the lower left quadrant abdominal pain and lump still, oh well.

I plan on working on my race report this weekend, i'll let you know when it's up. i did a short update on the last week on the blog. No running this week due to race recovery, but will start up again this week. I just ran down the block with Libby on her bike and felt fine other than my lungs...don't tell Chris that I forgot my inhaler and was having trouble for the last three days in Charlotte--oops. I had all my other asthma meds, but not my rescue inhaler. not good. He'd murder me.
#28 of 923 Old 09-30-2006, 05:15 PM

Quote:
you live in detroit? ever run the detroit marathon? if so, any pointers?
Naw... I'm in Salt Lake City. I was being more figurative than literal. I could give you some pointers on the Salt Lake City marathon, though. And CReb has AWESOME pointers for marathon running, with or without gnomes.

#29 of 923 Old 09-30-2006, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Woo-hoo! Yay for "borrowed" wi-fi. We're at the beach... no internet in the house, but if I sit out on the deck... yeah baby!

No time now, gotta get settled in, but I'm glad I won't be cut off from y'all for a week. :

Patti, I'm thinking of you too. Let us know how you are doing when you feel like it and have a chance.

#30 of 923 Old 09-30-2006, 10:24 PM

Hola Mamas!

I am hopelessly behind here! But I will have to catch up after I get home. I just wanted to check in and ask for lucky run thoughts tomorrow. I have not run since last Sunday and that was only a 6 miler, I'm freaking out a little that tomorrow's race is going to suck the big one (even if it isn't rainy and cold as predicted ).
Good luck to this weekend's other racers, hope everyone has/had fun!

Patti - I'm thinking of you especially mama

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page