Best Exercise Videos? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-21-2006, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're transitioning from a regular gym to a home gym. We'll eventually buy an elliptical trainer and other items but I'd like to build a decent exercise video library to make sure I get in the cardio. I don't want toning videos as I lift weights, just cardio videos. And I'd love things that get the heartrate up there. Something fairly intense. Thanks!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#2 of 10 Old 10-21-2006, 10:06 PM

wow, that sounds wonderful! I highly recommend the FIRM videos, although they are aerobics AND weights together (to maximize both). Although doing them without the weights woudl be good too. rent from your library first (if they have them) if you want to check them out before you buy. have fun!
#3 of 10 Old 11-03-2006, 08:05 PM

Cathe!! She's the best for high intensity She has TONS of cardio to choose from, both step & kickboxing (not much hi/lo if that's your speed). Her website is just http://www.cathe.com If you cruise her forums, you'll find suggestions for other instructors, too. There are tons to choose from, but IMO, Cathe's the best!

Carol
#4 of 10 Old 11-04-2006, 08:45 PM

Seconding Cathe Her workouts are power-packed & the cardio is pretty straightforward, especially the 2nd-3rd time through.
#5 of 10 Old 11-12-2006, 03:14 PM

I would go over and look at the forums at www.videofitness.com. Tons of reviews and opinions of different videos. I always check there before buying anything.
#6 of 10 Old 12-11-2006, 04:23 PM

bumping this thread because I could also use some suggestions. I have Tae Bo cardio which I love but am kind of bored with it. When I went to look at the other Tae Bo offerings there were so many that I got overwhelmed and gave up.

I like Tae Bo because it's the only video workout I've found that approximates running in the level of intensity and isn't too complicated for me in the coordination department. I'm not good at "dance" type aerobics.

I really need some variety and some toning also. I'm a blob these days. I love running but haven't been able to get out (cold weather, baby who hates jogger, no $$ for treadmill or gym, yada yada yada). An early a.m. session with the boob toob for workout would be best so I could do it before my family erupts into a.m. chaos, kwim?

Ideas please!

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#7 of 10 Old 12-12-2006, 11:18 PM

Turbo Jam, the Cardio Mix 2 and 3, are good choices. Some of Cathe's videos come with that annoying old-fashioned background music. I need music to motivate me. So Charlene's Turbo Jam gives me a good workout that is long enough, intense enough and easy enough to follow. You don't have to do the dancey moves. Just the kicking and punching alone will do it.
I heard the Fat Blaster video from Turbo Jam is great too because it's three 10-minute sessions of cardio on Turbo mode.
Videocollage.com offers straight-forward breakdown in terms of intensity and cardio sessions of most videos.
Turbo Jam videos are only available from beachbody.com or e-bay (if you can find them).
#8 of 10 Old 12-13-2006, 09:55 AM

Maying, thanks. I will check and see if the library has the TurboJam.

I think we might live near each other. I will pm you.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#9 of 10 Old 12-16-2006, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't know if you avoid watching TV but if not and you have cable TV you can find Cathe Friedrich on the Fitness Channel. She has weight-lifting shows and cardio shows. Both are great. I'm at work when the shows are on so I miss it though I have several of her videos and they are KILLER!! You'll definitely see results with Cathe. I usually can't make it through one of her videos without taking a 2 minute break.

The FIRM videos are good too although some of the instructors turn me off. They seem a tad too perky.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#10 of 10 Old 12-22-2006, 02:13 AM

I've got both the Cathe ones and Firm ones. They both really fit the bill for good exercise and I love using the weights. Wasn't Cathe an instructor at the Firm for a while?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page