Turkey Trottin' Running Mamas November Thread - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 932 Old 11-10-2006, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my first ever emergen-C yesterday, and I didnt' even have to go to the store to get it!!!!! Homebirthmommy mailed me some with a cute card!!!! Thank you soooo much mama! You are so super thoughtful!! I really needed that!! My kids even told dh about it at dinner, they thought it was wonderful.

Thurber, Plady and dd I am so sorry to hear what happened. Oh , goodness, that sounds difficult. to you mama!!

eksmom~that sounds delicious! can't wait to feel better enough to start cooking again.

turned the bend for the better, but still fighting this darn thing. Dr Jen, thanks for the antibiotic info. I'm allergic to ampicillan, ceclor and sulfa drugs, and still nursing so it's limited as to what I can be on. Usually the expensive stuff. I wrote down what you said so that if this doesn't clear up by next week, I'm back at the doctor with good information. Thank you!!

Okay, really looking forward to getting back to running next week. I think I'll repeat the mileage I did right before getting sick, since it was a low week, or what ever my body can handle. Then get back up there. I was two weeks away from my first 20 miler. I. will. get. there.

DrJen~YAY!!!!!!!!!! So excited!!! Have you done that distance before in training or racing?? I used Hal Higdons for my first time, and loved it. It was completely doable and fun. Love to boost you throughout training, it's great to have support!!!

Lisa
#302 of 932 Old 11-10-2006, 09:55 AM

Oh Plady, I am so very sorry. Please send many hugs to Ciara, too.

Shanti-what in the world were you doing up in the middle of the night?

RM-glad you're on the mend and the card got to ya ok. I had my first ever Emergen-C from Geo who sent it along with some maternity running clothes and teas. Feel the love and pay it forward!

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#303 of 932 Old 11-10-2006, 09:57 AM

calicocj-I am going to need that coconut curry recipe. I am desperate for vegetarian crockpot meals and I LOVE curries.

#304 of 932 Old 11-10-2006, 10:13 AM

So dh is out of town for the weekend and I had to cancel my Y time today because I have a co-op order that comes in at the same time, so no run today, maybe I'll get my double jogger back tomorrow, and then I can do a run. This mama really needs a run.

On another note, I finally got my wallet back. The nice old couple who found it were weirded out by the fact that the store clerk wouldn't take it, so they decided to hold on to it, and so they looked at my checks to see if there was a phone number. It was funny, they were so apologetic about the fact that they had to open the wallet, all I cared about was getting it back. Sweet old people

Oh, and I also need that crockpot curry recipe. I generally only use my crockpot to cook meat for dh and dd (long time veg here), and so don't use it all that often. But I curries of any sort.

Thinking of Thurber
#305 of 932 Old 11-10-2006, 10:23 AM

Wendy, my favorite non-music podcasts are Democracy Now, Free Speech Radio News, and Real Time with Bill Maher(audio version). All pretty political, but it is how I try to keep up with the world since we don't get the newspaper and try not to listen/watch too much around dd. She listens far too carefully, and living on a farm, death is far too much of a reality.
#306 of 932 Old 11-10-2006, 10:35 AM

oh plady hugs for you and your family at the loss of your beloved family member. reading your post made me cry. i am sorry.
crebrun: my mom designed my business cards and my brochure. i don't know what she normally charges for this service... she's my mom, she didn't charge me anything. but she does have a web site that you could view her art work and perhaps see if she can work something up for you. i don't know the web site off hand, but if you are interested post and i will find it out.
no school for the kiddo that goes to school, so i am going to go for an outside run today. then house cleaning and then work. geezzz how fun is all that????
deciding to choose happiness. i repeat this daily, as i need to convince myself. i am also trying to decide what else, besides being a doula, that i am going to do with my life to support myself and my kids. being in a lonely relationship is... well... lonely. any ideas about work to enhance doula'ing?
i am taking a mothering massage workshop in march. i can't wait.
again plady, i am so sorry for your loss.
peace
michele
#307 of 932 Old 11-10-2006, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy View Post
calicocj-I am going to need that coconut curry recipe. I am desperate for vegetarian crockpot meals and I LOVE curries.
:
i just bought a crockpot and we're vegetarians. i think my family is getting tired of the same veggie stew! i'd love some curries yum!

plady - oh i am so sorry

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#308 of 932 Old 11-10-2006, 11:15 AM

i would love some vegetarian crock pot recipes. i have never cooked in a crock pot, but i think i have one around here somewhere. even a very simple vegetarian stew recipe would make me jump for joy!!!
thanks
peace
michele
#309 of 932 Old 11-10-2006, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
homebithmommy - you found me out - I haven't been sleeping well lately. Most nights I knit but last night I went online. I often wake up around 3 a.m. and can't get back to sleep. I realized I was hungry last night so I ate a bowl of soup and then curled up on the couch with my favourite Shantiquilt and went back to sleep until it was time to get up with the kids for school. I don't like the broken sleep, but I am hoping it will shift one of these days.

Vegetarian crock pot users - baked beans are amazing made in a crock pot. Soak them overnight (or all day) in the pot, rinse them, add fresh water adn cook them all day (or night) in the same pot, then add your vegetables and sauce and cook again and you've got them....... takes about 36 hours inluding soaking but they are so good and it is so easy. Clean up is easy too. I also like to do curried red lentils in the crock pot - cook them in just enough water so they stay moist, then add some coconut milk to make them creamy. On the stovetop cook an onion in a little butter or ghee (or oil if you are vegan), add a glob of curry paste, cook for a minute, and add to the lentils along with a dash of hot sauce, a little salt and brown sugar to taste. They are SOOOOOOOOOOOO good - kids love dipping papadums in these.

dh and I have a date tonight! He is day chaplain at our local hospital and when he showed up the other day he was given an envelope with a gift certificate for a local restaurant and babysitting money! What a thoughtful gift. He is amazing, so I am not surprised they did this for him. If I wasn't madly in love with him and married to him I would love to have him as my minster. But since I am Catholic, that could cause some serious problems I am so proud of all of the things he is doing in the local church, the wider church and our community these days. He went through a bad experience a couple of years ago and I love seeing what being in a good place does for him...... I hope you'll be next mamabeth!

Must get back to tidying. I have someone new coming for spiritual direction this morning and she probably won't notice, but I will be distracted if I don't get things more in order - I definitely have an anal streak
#310 of 932 Old 11-10-2006, 12:32 PM

i think I'm a little late but

: to Wendy (Geofizz)

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#311 of 932 Old 11-10-2006, 12:52 PM

Plady, so sorry about your dog.
#312 of 932 Old 11-10-2006, 01:27 PM

Shanti - that recipe sounds great, I am going to try it... if DH will relinquish control of the beans! He is addicted to using our pressure cooker to make beans so he thinks he is the master of the dried beans domain!! I'm actually kinda scared of the pressure cooker...

recipe... aaackk! I kinda made it up as I went along, and my veggie combo might be a little odd, b/c I was trying to use up what was in the crisper, but first I briefly sauteed chopped onions, sweet potato, celery, cauliflower, and eggplant (weird combo I know...) w/ some EVOO, salt, and pepper to season, til they were about crisp-tender. Meanwhile, I heated up some coconut milk in the crockpot and added curry powder, ground ginger, black pepper, paprika, cumin, red pepper, and cardomom, all to taste, in the crockpot, dumped the veggies in and let it go for a while, maybe an hour on low while I ran and showered...

I'd never thought of curry w/ beans, but I bet that would be very creamy and good!!

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#313 of 932 Old 11-10-2006, 01:53 PM

I am getting so hungry reading this. Yum!

Shanti-i have the same kind of insomnia and have for years. It's so frustrating.: I'm having trouble going back to sleep after J gets up now. I hope you are able to get enough to function OK.

I'm feeling my run a bit today, but in a good way. Hoping to get anither in tomorrow.

#314 of 932 Old 11-10-2006, 01:59 PM

Does anyone have Mamabeth's baby carrier site bookmarked? I was at a meeting this morning and several ladies wanted her info.

***Found it***

#315 of 932 Old 11-10-2006, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmsmomma4 View Post
crebrun: my mom designed my business cards and my brochure. i don't know what she normally charges for this service... she's my mom, she didn't charge me anything. but she does have a web site that you could view her art work and perhaps see if she can work something up for you. i don't know the web site off hand, but if you are interested post and i will find it out.
That would be wonderful!!!!! I'd love to see hers and yours! Thanks

Plady....I'm so sorry about Thurber. My heart is breaking for you. I cant even talk about someday losing my old Golden Retriever without crying...and he's not even sick. I will be a mess. Hang in there. God I feel your pain. I"m so sorry.
#316 of 932 Old 11-10-2006, 02:36 PM

Plady, I am so sorry about your dog. It hurts so much to lose them. I know it probably doesn't seem like a consolation to you but I'm sure your dog was comforted you were there. You may feel guilty but he only knows you were there with him.

I feel for your poor DD as well. I lost a dog when I was five when she ate some poison someone had put out for the neighbor's dogs, who barked. It was awful. My parents put another dog of mine to sleep when I was eleven because she was sick and they couldn't spare the money for the expensive vet treatment (this was after doing the basics.) I could not understand these losses for a long time but now having two pets die as an adult I know the reason it hurts so much is because we love them so much.

Big hugs to you and your family.
#317 of 932 Old 11-10-2006, 04:25 PM

Plady, I'm so sorry about your dog how heartbreaking.
#318 of 932 Old 11-10-2006, 04:39 PM

Woohoo, Geo!!! My podcasts are Cast On, Stand Up Speak out, and Skepticality. I don't listen to them much, though.

Moonshine, I LOVE TAL!!! I have about 6 years worth of episodes on my iPod. I need to buy the last two years still. It's only money, right? These things never get old. I didn't realize they did a podcast. Is it the entire episode each week?

Oh, Plady I'm so sorry about your dog. I can't wait for 2006 to be over for you.

RM, I'm so glad you are getting better!!!

Missbliss, I'm glad you got your wallet back! Doesn't that help to restore your faith in people? It sure does for me!

hmsmomma, do you have a creative outlet? Like a craft or art? Having that in my life helps so much!!! I don't have any advice about enhancing doula-ing. When I was doula-ing, I found it to be more depressing and stressful...but for me it might be different. Our little local hospital was so behind the times and I just felt helpless there a lot. I had to give it up because I didn't get enough non-invasive births to feel balanced.

Me, too, on the vegetable curries!!! I make them up a lot, but they only turn into something my family loves about 25% of the time. I need to learn to follow recipes.

Shantimama, have a blast on your date tonight!!!

Oooh! Happy Birthday, Geo!!!

Hello everyone!!
#319 of 932 Old 11-10-2006, 05:47 PM

i choose happiness, i choose happiness, i choose happiness.
ok.. said it
ran 5 miles and walked 1/2 -3/4. cool i am psyched for me!!!!
hobbies, i knit, homeschool the kids (ok, not a hobby) and i am trying trying trying to get back to writing some poetry. it sounds a bit stiffled but i am trying.
tomorrow i will go to karate and maybe run a quick two miles and go to work.
now i must get ready to go to work.
thanks for being great!!!
peace
michele
#320 of 932 Old 11-10-2006, 05:54 PM

I'm about to choose happiness too... going out for 4 mi. in this 77 degree freak of nature weather! Looks like work is permanently now... don't think just run, don't think just run...

ETA: OK, 3.38, but it was fast. And HOT! Woo-hoo!

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#321 of 932 Old 11-11-2006, 02:07 AM

Wow, no one talking for a few hours? Are we all out running?

Plady - I'm so sorry, that sounds so awful. This year has just got to end. Hugs to you and your dd. RIP, doggie. Last wed was the 2nd anniversary of my friend's 2 dds' deaths (they were triplets, born at 25 weeks, and they lived 3 days, while their brother survives.) Maybe all 3 girls are having the best time chasing him around on a beautiful sunny hillside, under a perfect blue sky dotted with fluffy clouds.

RM - Nope, I've never run the distance, ever. I think the longest I've ever run is 8 miles in my life. What am I doing? I'm going to check out Hal Higdon's plan. I've tried twice to use one of his 5K plans, but both times ending up slacking off somewhere in the middle. Somehow, I'll have to stick it out this time!

crebrun - I have a thought for you, if you haven't found any web design help yet (and feel free to keep looking for someone more professional!) My oldest ds has just finished a class in web design (which of course, does not an expert make.) However, he'd be willing to work on something with you for free, because he'd be able to use it as an independent study project. He says he's comfortable with most web design software, except the "client-side" stuff like shopping cart software, but would be able to get some help from a professor if you needed that. He will be home from Thanksgiving to New Year's without any classes going on, and if you have hosting space, could probably work online with you. He was hoping to talk my office into letting him design a web site for us, but we aren't going to be able to get to it in time while he's home. If you are interested, let me know, and I'll send you his email, and if not, no problem.

So, I've run 3 times in one week, and almost feel like a runner again. I forgot how much it helps my stress level. I ran just 3 miles on the treadmill tonight, but to spice it up, I ran 2 laps at 6 mph, then 1 lap at 7 mph for the whole 3 miles (except one lap accidently at 5 mph because I hit the wrong button!) It felt good to blow the dust off a little. I'm on call this weekend, but am hoping to still get some running in. I have 95 miles to go to make my new goal of 600 miles for 2006. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can . . .
#322 of 932 Old 11-11-2006, 09:28 AM

Um, drjen, it WAS the middle of the night.... not that that's ever stopped this crowd...

Plady I'm so sorry. I also love the vision of Wendy and Thurber playing together happily, but I hate how much this year has sucked for your family, mama.

can't catch up much but I didn't get to do my LR yesterday...woke up in the middle of the night with a plugged duct/mastitis. I'm feeling better today but won't get to run probably til Mon or Tues, oh well! ps. South Carolina is beautiful...we went to the beach yesterday, 75 degrees. ds ate sand and dd ran til she collapsed, gotta love that. take care mamas
#323 of 932 Old 11-11-2006, 10:16 AM

Yes!!! I'd love it!!!!! Thanks so much for thinking of it!!!!! That would be awesome.
Yay! (I'm doing the running man.....oooops, slipped into the butt spank.......whoa, fell into the lasso-cowboy......holy f#ckamole, I was surprised by the Bionce a$$ shake......
I'd love it.
#324 of 932 Old 11-11-2006, 10:20 AM

Sorry drjen - I actually slept all last night so no middle of the night postings for me : I do know the feeling of checking in here and not seeing anything new and missing you all though... Would your ds be interested in another guinea pig to practise web design with? I would LOVE some help and don't know where to begin.

Our date was nice. The food wasn't great but it was great to be alone together. We walked there and back and I froze on the way home. The kids are all in the Remembrance Day parade this morning and I am going to remember to dress warmly - the wind of the lake is intense these days.

No running this past week but I have walked about 40 km through the week. dh has just left for his run. I may stick with walking and yoga until we get home from Chicago and then start my gym membership and see if my asthma does better running indoors. I want to run but I really want to avoid having to use Flovent every day - the thrush thing is so gross.

I finally got a sewing space set up. It isn't what I expected but I think it will be okay. the "ideal" spot for me to set up permanently has no natural lighting at all and my back would be to what little light reaches that corner and I can't live with that. So I now have a small table in the dining room that is just for my sewing machine and I will store fabric, books, etc in that corner of the LR. Today I am hoping to buy an Obus Form Ultra seat and back rest to use with a DR chair while I sew. I hope it all works. I haven't been doing much sewing to protect my back and I need to get back to work.
#325 of 932 Old 11-11-2006, 10:22 AM

reb - I love it when you are around - I really wish we were heaing up to WI this trip so I could meet you, 1jooj and ND.
#326 of 932 Old 11-11-2006, 10:46 AM

Hi ladies!

NRR: trying to get the house cleaned up for ds1's first grade teacher and her daughter to come visit and for dinner. I'm making cranberry chicken. It sounds odd but is very delicious. I'm just not sure what else to make with it. It has chicken, bbq sauce and cranberry sauce with whole cranberries. I'm thiniking of making speghetti noodles to go under the chicken in case her daughter doesn't like it. Would corn on the cob be too wierd? My kids love it and it's fun. I can't bake anything for desert, so I was thinking all natural ice cream (my kids usually have it). Maybe get some toppings?

RR: nothing this week. feeling better, but ear still really hurting, throat still hurting a little bit, although almost all the white spots are gone. I think I'll wait until Tuesday ( a normal running day for me) to start running again. I even skipped yoga at the church last night due to fatigue and pain. BUT I am getting better so that's awesome.

have a great saturday ladies!
Lisa
#327 of 932 Old 11-11-2006, 11:33 AM

Lisa, what about green beans? I tend to put green beans with anything, though, so maybe I'm biased. But, I think corn would be fine too. I think the noodles are a great idea and the ice cream and toppings sound great for dessert! Would you mind sharing the chicken recipe?

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#328 of 932 Old 11-11-2006, 11:46 AM

Good Morning!
Just back from another RUN!!! I did 2.38, with only a little walking on hills. It was a little hard, but felt awesome when I finished. I'm sitting here typing, sweaty and happy .

We went and had the girls' pictures done last night at the Picture People. I'm usually not crazy about them, but we had a great coupon, so why not? We ended up getting a fantastic photographer. She took over an hour working with my crazy, slighty hyper girls and got beautiful shots. She did a black and white collage of Johanna (one of feet, one of her hand holding my finger, one of her smile, one close cropped of her sisters kissing her, etc.) I almost cried when I saw it. Of course I had to have it, so dh got it for me for my birthday, which isn't until December. Here's a picture of it. Pretend you don't see the flash.

#329 of 932 Old 11-11-2006, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post

NRR: trying to get the house cleaned up for ds1's first grade teacher and her daughter to come visit and for dinner. I'm making cranberry chicken. It sounds odd but is very delicious. I'm just not sure what else to make with it. It has chicken, bbq sauce and cranberry sauce with whole cranberries. I'm thiniking of making speghetti noodles to go under the chicken in case her daughter doesn't like it. Would corn on the cob be too wierd? My kids love it and it's fun. I can't bake anything for desert, so I was thinking all natural ice cream (my kids usually have it). Maybe get some toppings?
I like the green bean suggestion, I was going to suggest a green veggie and maybe potatoes? But I think pasta would work fine also. And ice cream for dessert sounds great.

So, today is dh and my 7 year anniversary. He was out of town on business for a few days, but should be home soon. Which is great because I woke up feeling a little under the weather this morning. My throat is killing me. : I really would like to run when he gets back, but I may not be up to it. I just feel kind of woozy, but sometimes running when I'm sick makes me feel a little better....Anyway, I am done with the fun gift for dh. I'm off to try and open an account so I can share pics of it!

Have a good weekend!
Abby
#330 of 932 Old 11-11-2006, 11:54 AM

I ran a quick 3 miles last night. It was a rough evening and I was glad for the speed I have developed to sneak those 3 miles in. Went to spinning class this morning as it yucky rainy cold drizzly. Hoping it stops or turns to snow this afternoon and I'll go out then. Going to do my long run Sunday morning instead. Tomorrow is my dd's 5th birthday. I am seriously going to cry. I almost have a few times already. We have family in visiting too so it is extra fun.

Hope all have a great weekend!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page