Turkey Trottin' Running Mamas November Thread - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 932 Old 11-13-2006, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Beth - I don't know if you recall this or not...but I didn't run the entire month before my marathon because of knee problems. And I was able to do it no problem. I don't know that I would try to get a really long run in...but maybe like a 9 mile run sometime in the next 3 days. I would still give yourself at least 5 days of lighter runs before the race.

Thanks Geo - I've been keeping you in my thoughts as well. As many have said if you want to talk privately I'm here. I just didn't want to invade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#362 of 932 Old 11-13-2006, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeth View Post
eksmom...we could always walk if we need to :
Beth, I have no problem with walking in this case. : My leg is better but the pain is still there. I'm tentatively thinking I'll scrap my 5K on Sat. and sometime between now and T'giving try to do a 9-10 mile run like BBM said. I'm going to PM you...

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#363 of 932 Old 11-13-2006, 01:26 PM

Good Morning!
I pulled out and dusted off an old firm video this morning. It was kinda of fun!

I tried to glance at a few of your blogs. I love the quilt lady..Shanti. Those are beautiful. I will have to read different blogs when I get a chance...it's interesting!
#364 of 932 Old 11-13-2006, 01:53 PM

bbm, When do you find anything out? Could it just be related to your breasts getting ready for the new baby?
#365 of 932 Old 11-13-2006, 02:28 PM

A minute or two to post... working from home this morning with cranky sick DD. And now I'm feeling just a little "off", so I'm afraid I may be next. It's been yucky for her - flowing nose and wet chest cough. I had so hoped to avoid it but how can you when they want comfort and you are inhaling their every exhale?

My leg is better. I didn't do anything (except eat way too much ) yesterday and probably won't today, either. Tomorrow I might see how it feels on the elliptical.

I talked with the music director last night at church about starting a community handbell group. He said he has had it on the brain for several years and he thinks there is enough talent and interest here to make it work. I think we are going to meet and start to plan - I'm so excited!

You guys remember that at the same time my mom had her hysterectomy for uterine cancer, we found out that her sister has non-Hodgkin's lymphoma... well, she just finished her chemo at the end of October, and she's been in the hospital since Friday for heart problems. Basically every time she exerts herself she has pain and shortness of breath. They are running tests on her, but they are taking it very slowly I think because of her condition already being weakened. The concern is with doing surgery when she is still weak from the months of chemo - although it's not clear at this point whether surgery is needed.

BBM, I am thinking of you. I hope all is well. I understand about the taking care of yourself.

RM, I'm glad you had a good date with DH.

Sorry for so few personals. I am reading along, thinking of y'all.

#366 of 932 Old 11-13-2006, 03:52 PM

eksmom~goodness, praying for your family

RR:Mini-Marathon 77% full
The 2007 OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini-Marathon field is filling at a record pace. According to 500 Festival organizers, nearly 27,000 people have entered - over three-fourths of the field of 35,000 participants – which is ahead of last year’s pace. The 31st running of the nation’s largest half-marathon is scheduled for Saturday, May 5, at 7:30 a.m. in downtown Indianapolis.

If you are near here and thinking of running this, sign up now!! You can transfer your registration if you decide not to run it. I know we have some of you in driving distance!!
#367 of 932 Old 11-13-2006, 04:05 PM

BBM ~ You are in my thoughts and prayers.

I'm about to run off to class, but I wanted to pop in and say hi.
I haven't been running, but I am determined after the big transition coming up that I will get going again.

James got a job here in IL and will be staying here with me. It is our goal to leave for MI when I graduate whether we have jobs lined up or not. It's a faith thing, and we both agree it's what we need to do.

As for now, we are awaiting our credit clearance to sign for an apartment that we are in love with. A little more expensive than we wanted, but it's clean, quiet, and very nice. It's in a great neighborhood and within 2 miles of 3 friends. One of which lives on the next level of the apartment building.

I think that's all for now. I'm feeling more relieved about things, especially now that we've spent a lot of time packing already. I think that we'll move Wednesday or Thursday. Wish us luck.

Miss you all, but I have been reading along.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#368 of 932 Old 11-13-2006, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLove View Post
James got a job here in IL and will be staying here with me. It is our goal to leave for MI when I graduate whether we have jobs lined up or not. It's a faith thing, and we both agree it's what we need to do.
Dh and I did that when he graduated from college. It was scary, but we planned and saved for it. We both had jobs within a month and enjoyed a little vacation time between before we started working. It worked out well in the end.

BBM-thinking of you

Eksmom- to your aunt and the whole family. How's your mom doing?

Mommabelle-I love The Firm. I have never been in better shape than when I did that regularly. I bet you'll be sore tomorrow.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#369 of 932 Old 11-13-2006, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Holy Moley, teenage girls have nothing on the gossip abilities of 50 year old men in academia. How do you keep something private when people keep prying?? Office hours end in an hour. I'm going to deal with stress this week by running outside during daylight hours. That means working more at night, but I need the daylight and exercise.
#370 of 932 Old 11-13-2006, 05:04 PM

Geo Hang in there.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#371 of 932 Old 11-13-2006, 05:05 PM

Dh and I drove to Richmond this weekend to watch his brother run the Richmond Marathon on Saturday. DH ran miles 15-26 with him. His brother had a really bad 20 mile run a few weeks ago and was feeling a bit nervous-so dh said he would run with him a bit if he wanted to. He took him up on it-which we were actually surprised about because he is an extremely solo runner. We have done a few races with him and a few training runs and he doesn't say one word. Not that dh and I are chatter boxes when we run together-but we do talk from time to time during a run. It was HOT! It got up to almost 80. I think it took a lot of people by surprise. It was a downhill finish which was interesting-I can imagine many a IT band twinging as they were finishing BIL got a personal best by 4 minutes and was excited-it was his second marathon-his first was our second He came out to support us for our first and had so much fun watching us he said he was doing it with us the next year and did!
DH's parents came down there to watch his brother run. Very happy for his brother, but having a little pity party about it. We(more importantly dh) ran 2 LOCAL marathons and his mom was too busy to come watch him either time-this time they actually drove down the night before, got a hotel room, etc....to watch his brother When we got there Sat morning-dh said he was going to head back to the car to "rest" before his 11 mile run with his brother so his legs wouldn't get too tired running around to the different spots to see him. I think it was because we (me, my niece and SIL) were going to meet his parents and sister-I think he just didn't want to see them. He didn't want to go to lunch with them afterwards but we did-then I get inside and there is only seating for 6-not 8-she said she "forgot" there were 8 of us...she is a piece of work. sorry for the rant

I went on a great rainy 4.5 mile run yesterday morning. It felt good-I love running in the rain and so rarely get to do it because I don't like running with K when its raining.

BBM- hope you hear soon what is going on!

geo-hope everything works out well.

eksmom-

jenlove-happy moving! i just read your blog-what a great idea

cReb-great pics!

off to clean!
#372 of 932 Old 11-13-2006, 06:30 PM

Hi mamas!

Plady, Oh I feel for you and your sweet doggy That is so rough Mama. I am sorry your DH couldn't be there either. You are one strong woman and mother

Geo, man, I hope things settle down for you favorably and ASAP. I hope you gain a feeling of control and centeredness in these situations. Peaceful vibes to you. I am glad you are finding counsel in your DH and Janessa

BBM, I hope the lump resolves soon and is nothing. I bet as well that it is mammary related. I always check my armpits and have been finding mine much more lumpy than usual, not sure if it is lymphatic tissue or just more fatty tissue (more likely in my case) lying in that region than normal. How stressful though. I hope you get some reassuring answers to calm you down.

Quote:
To lighten the mood..... Naughty Dingo, I'm doing a little math and I think you're coming up on 37 weeks now. Mind telling us when your older dds were born relative to your due date? May we start stalking?
Yup I will be 37 weeks tomorrow. I am so excited. Both my girls came at 39 1/2 weeks, on the Friday before their due dates. So if this babe will be consistent with her sisters, that would put us on December 1 as her birth day. We shall see..... I have been having lots of intense contractions and she dropped a week and a half ago. Saturday night, they were coming every 4-5 minutes for several hours. That lit a fire under my tail to get everything ready. Poor Mr. D got all flustered. He freaks out when a baby comes or when there is a possibility that the baby is coming LOL. I think I will get some beer for him to have ready in the fridge for when I actually am in labor. Poor guy......... I have no idea when she is going to come, but all these contractions are so exciting.

I love reading all your running news ( and the non RR news too) I am getting really inspired and excited for the new year when I get to run again. For now it is just yoga and that is enough. I am feeling very big (did my belly cast yesterday and wow, I had no idea my belly was that big!) and awkward and tired. I am hoping to get into the water this week again too. I remember Mamabeth went running at 40 or 42 weeks and I totally to you Mama

Sorry I haven't been doing more personals, but I am here reading along.

Take care Mamas, ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

#373 of 932 Old 11-13-2006, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Dingo View Post
Yup I will be 37 weeks tomorrow. I am so excited. Both my girls came at 39 1/2 weeks, on the Friday before their due dates. So if this babe will be consistent with her sisters, that would put us on December 1 as her birth day.
Dec 1 would be a *perfect* day for a Naughty Dingo lurk. My class ends November 30 and my proposal will be in on 12/1. Let's pencil that in, ok?

Hmmm, Naughty Dingo lurk doesn't have the same ring as "kerc lurk" or "mamabeth watch." Naughty Dingo tango? Hmmm, that sounds dirty.
#374 of 932 Old 11-13-2006, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Hmmm, Naughty Dingo lurk doesn't have the same ring as "kerc lurk" or "mamabeth watch." Naughty Dingo tango? Hmmm, that sounds dirty.
From the thesaurus: inspection, lookout, peeled eye, scrutiny, spying, stakeout, superintendence, supervision, surveillance, surveyance, tab, tail, tap, track, vigil, vigilance

Geo, you see anything you like?

#375 of 932 Old 11-13-2006, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
Geo, you see anything you like?
No. It's hard to top the sound of "kerc lurk".
#376 of 932 Old 11-13-2006, 07:01 PM

Oh Geo. So sorry about the whatever it is. (Doesn't that sound supportive? ) I am reminded of DH's father's favorite quote (my FIL is also an academic) about the politics in academia being so nasty because the stakes are so small. I hope you see the bright side of this soon.

My running has been erratic these last few weeks and I am feeling really nervous about the longer race next week. I know I can do 8K no problem but I haven't run much longer than 6 miles in a few months. Part of me wants to shoot for the qualifying time for the IndyMini in this race but honestly I think that is far too ambitious. I should be aiming just to finish.

I also should be running more long slow distance because I need to be focusing on getting some more fat off. Instead I have been eating like a pig. I guess it is because DD has been nursing like mad now that things are a little quieter around here and I'm sure my milk supply has rebounded quite a bit. It is always very sensitive to me cutting calories.

I'm also a bit exhausted all the time. I guess it must be these dark days.

DrJen & Shanti--the Garfield conservatory sounds really nice-I've never been and always meant to. It would be great with me if Caroline could come as R would really love it--she has a picture of them in the wagon at the zoo that she talks about all the time. But LMK if you'd rather this was an adults outing. I don't have many options about having her with me but I could also meet you for part of the time too.

ND--so excited you are so close!

BBL...
#377 of 932 Old 11-13-2006, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
No. It's hard to top the sound of "kerc lurk".
Very true. Although, "Naughty Dingo Stakeout" kind of appeals to me...

#378 of 932 Old 11-13-2006, 07:02 PM

Dingo Bingo?
#379 of 932 Old 11-13-2006, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balancin1 View Post
Dingo Bingo?
: It's perfect! You gotta have contractions, broken water, losing the plug, etc. etc. and finally the baby and THEN you can call "DINGO BINGO!!!" I love it.

#380 of 932 Old 11-13-2006, 07:13 PM

Alright, Dingo Bingo it is.

I hope Erika is ok with all this........ but I'm really hoping she's ok with putting this all off until 12/1.
#381 of 932 Old 11-13-2006, 07:30 PM

LOL now I have that song in my head "........and Bingo was his name-O!"

I think 12/1 would be a great day. Lets just set it at that then OK?

ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

#382 of 932 Old 11-13-2006, 10:03 PM

can't wait for the Dingo Bingo!

hello from NYC! i just got done with 25 minutes of light exercise, now time for a quick shower and off to a dinner with people I don't know. scary! tomorrow afternoon i head back home and don't have to go anywhere until christmas time.

better sign off now, i'm thinking of everyone with all the things going on.
#383 of 932 Old 11-13-2006, 10:40 PM

when that babe comes out and your dr/midwife says "time" and you say "dingo bingo" no one in l/d is going to know what the heck you are talking about!!! and you'll laugh and then they will think you are in shock or something!!
good luck!!! you are going to be great!@!!
peace
michele
#384 of 932 Old 11-13-2006, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Oooooooooooooo - I like Dingo Bingo. Take good care of yourself these last days and weeks Erika!!!!!

dha and I took the day to go to Toronto for appointments, to see a dear friend and tehn we went to IKEA: We got teh new lighting we need for our house - exceot one lamp doesn't work, anotehr isn't nearly as bright as we thought it would be - I really don't want to have to drive back there as it is 3 hours away : The lamp I got for my bew sewing table works.... that's the one I care most about anyway
#385 of 932 Old 11-14-2006, 12:28 AM

thanks everybody - details are in my blog...but a doc is already suspecting Hodgkins lymphoma...but there's no way to tell until we can cut it out. He did put me on antibx just in case, but said it was "a shot in the dark." I go to my ob tomorrow to talk more about how to handle this.
#386 of 932 Old 11-14-2006, 12:31 AM

at the Dingo Bingo

Wendy, my parents are both in academia (my dad is a math(diff. equations and topology) prof. and my mom is a research scientist(molec. biology) and my mom calls me once a month deeply devastated about something in her lab), the academic drama and my mom's 60 hr workweeks when I was growing up were enough to convince me that academia was not for me (instead I'm going to be a CNM ) Anyway, I've been thinking about you (along with my mom's most recent situation), and hoping things will reach a positive resolution.

BBM, I also had weird lumps at the end of my preg. w/little dd. I hope yours turns out to be as temporary. But I totally remember how stressful. eta, just read your recent post, and I am praying for you that it is not lymphoma.

Eksmom, also praying for your Aunt. And my two girls sound like they have the same bug as EK, which I am also still fighting off. I've been going with large amounts of Emergen-C.

So this is the official icon of my day today :
RR: I did a fast two miles today, at actually under a 10 mi pace, closer to 9 min miles actually. Pushing little dd in the stroller. Listening to Democracy Now. Maybe all the political stuff was particularly inspiring today, or maybe it was that I knew little dd was about to fall apart, which she did as soon as I started my cool down walk.

Then we did the co-op for coffee and bagels and then the library for a dvd for Zoe(she is a little under the weather and they have good ones sometimes), and parenting books for mama(Your 3 year old, and How To Talk so Kids Will Listen, and Listen so Kids Will Talk, a classic from my childhood) and the book Nora's Stars for Nora, which is just a lovely book, then I realized the time and rushed up to trade kids and cars w/dh so I could go to my dentist appt to get fillings put back in that keep falling out, and they didn't use enough novacaine and I had lots of tears involuntarily flowing out when they hit a nerve. It was really weird. I kind of flinched and then my eye on that side started pouring tears, not really like I was crying, just one sided. UGH. Hopefully these fillings will stay in. They have fallen out twice before, I guess because they are super shallow. Anyway, then I rushed home to nurse little dd, put dinner in oven, check in w/dh, give big dd a hug, then rushed off to the library to write my paper for this week on China, and how it is not going to become a superpower because of its massive human rights violations, lack of health care, and severe pollution issues. :sigh. The good thing is that all of the above are done, and I have nothing on the agenda for tomorrow other than studying for a test, revising my paper, and of course hanging out w/my kids. I now see why people do the school bit pre-kids if possible.

And now, maybe I will take a bath, and try to relax away the after effects of all the coffee I've had today.

Abby
#387 of 932 Old 11-14-2006, 01:46 AM

DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiingo Bingo.

:

Love it. And although you all think I'm kerc as in kirk, I'm NOT. I never think of myself as that k-e-r and then post marriage we added the c.

ok I've got: a baby with possible pink eye
a four year old who just got over pink eye
a hubby who is sick (again/still?)

and more work that I can possibly do in one week. Urgh.

but I did run yesterday -- dh and I did the conga line on the joggers. We stuck one girl in one, one girl in the double and off we went. We ran ~3 miles. Yay family run. Although really dh ran circles around me even with the heavy child.

and I just came back from a tupperware party. Laughing my butt off that I've been to a tupperware party. I'm *so* not a sales party kinda girl. But I do want some of the pieces my mil has so I went. Very fun.

now off to answer miles of student email and get this work party on the road.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#388 of 932 Old 11-14-2006, 01:56 AM

Geofizz: if you see that 50 something gossip who likes to golf a lot. Tell him to get off his a$$ and sign the darn form and mail it back already. 3 voice mails + 2 emails seem sufficient in reminding someone with a phd to sign and date a form verifying previous employment.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#389 of 932 Old 11-14-2006, 02:40 AM

shantimama - I did mean the Sat. after Thanksgiving, don't know why I said day after. I guess I can keep you from quilt stores, although I sure could use an excuse! (Actually, I really don't need an excuse. I already have a whole quilt cut out for dd that I haven't started yet.) Are you okay with the conservatory? And maybe somewhere for lunch or coffe or something? And do you have a preference on kids? I know my girls would enjoy it there but they probably wouldn't be too sad to stay home, either. I'd be happy to come to Hinsdale and pick you up for whatever we plan.

RM - I signed up for email training tips from Jenny Hadfield and the Penguin. That should be interesting. I not sure what to do about where to stay. My best friend and his wife will be staying in a hotel, but I understand hotels are filling up pretty early, so I guess I'd have to make up my mind, quick. He's actually coming with a big group of people that I don't know, though, so I don't know how fun it would be to stay with them, vs some quality running dingo time!

ND - I love bingo! Are your girls excited? Will they be involved in the birth? I just attended a birth where the 4 yr old big sister was so much fun, and she kind of reminded me of your older dd.

Geo - Freaking not fair that it turns out much of life is one long drama, is it?

eksmom - any chance you want to come to Indy in May? It just seems like you and RM and I should run together!

Balancin1 - Have you run the half distance before? I'm nervous about working up to that far. Are you going to use a training plan?

I ran 4 on the treadmill tonight. I'm doing a little better running more, but still having trouble getting in as many runs as I'd like. I need more hours of sunshine - it always makes me feel more energetic!
#390 of 932 Old 11-14-2006, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
drjen - sounds PERFECT to me. I would love to meet your kids, but that is your call. The conservatory and lunch sounds great. I still can't believe that in 14 years of visiting my in-laws, the only place we have ever gone was their church and the mall. This is going to be FUN!!

I am off to take my three little monkeys to the dentist this morning, then home to actually sew a little bit, then this afernoon a couple I have never met is coming over. They are retired, she was just diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease and they were given my name as someone to talk with. I have no idea what I have to offer these people and I am a little nervous but open to whatever comes.

WishI could say I was off to run right now, but I am really only going to be running around the kitchen getting lunches and breakfst made.

geo - how are you holding up?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page