Turkey Trottin' Running Mamas November Thread - Page 15 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#421 of 932 Old 11-15-2006, 02:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
I have four... two in beige, one pink, and one dark grey/silver. This is the style I got. Except, I think I got the wrong band size... fortunately I only clipped the tags off of one.
Oooh, so pretty. I'm the proud owner of 3 new VS bras myself, but only one padded. I was telling an IRL friend about the new padded bra on the phone and how excited about them I was, and the next day when she saw me, she commented to another girl "Ooh, don't Jen's boobs look great?" I about spit my teeth out, but it was hilarious. Not the kind of comment I usually generate, that's for sure.
Once, little dd was asking to nurse while I was trying to eat supper, and dh was trying to distract her - and finally offered to nurse her himself. She looked at him all shocked and said "Oh, no Daddy! Only Mommy has the BIG nursies!" She's the only person in the world to ever call me, big!

bbm - I didn't detect any snottiness. Definitely get your questions answered. I don't quite get why they don't want to pursue diagnosis in easy ways, anyway. You still have weeks to go, right?

Balancin1 - What do you think about the Sat after Thanksgiving? I'm thinking I'll bring my girls but not the boys (2 can do well together, but 3 always seem to end up fighting!) Anywhere you can think of to eat or get coffee and snacks?
#422 of 932 Old 11-15-2006, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
I have four... two in beige, one pink, and one dark grey/silver. This is the style I got. Except, I think I got the wrong band size... fortunately I only clipped the tags off of one.
Ooo I got those too and I love them! I got them earlier in the pregnancy when I went to gap and spent like $60 bucks and literally three days later none of the bras fit I had grown so fast. So I hit kmart and found those and have loved them.
#423 of 932 Old 11-15-2006, 08:33 AM

oh and theoretically I have between 5 and 9 weeks to go.
#424 of 932 Old 11-15-2006, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
babybugmama - I am thinking of you so much, mama.

Yep, I do wear an unusual bra size - 30E : I buy my bras from a store in Toronot called Secrets From Your Sister - I think hollysmom told me about it. they have a website www.secretsfromyoursister.com and after going in to teh store once (I live 3 hours north of Toronto) I just look online at what I like and phone them - they have my size on file and they mail the bras to me. It really was worth it to go into a specialty bra store and get fitted - I had been wearing a 34D and my back always hurt and I looked pretty frumpy. It took awhile to get used to the new look!
#425 of 932 Old 11-15-2006, 10:07 AM

Eks-while you're in GA, you should go for a bra fitting at Intimacy. They're the ones that Oprah has to do the bra fittings on her show. They also have stores in New York and Chicago.

It's a yucky, yucky day here. Cold and rainy and I don't want to leave the house.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#426 of 932 Old 11-15-2006, 11:08 AM

HBM...ITA...I just want to crawl back in bed and sleep all day...it's so dreary. I need to go downstairs and do a firm tape.
#427 of 932 Old 11-15-2006, 11:21 AM

bbm- keeping you in my thoughts. remember when i had a painful spot in my underarm last year? i was not pregnant though. i did a mammogram and it turned out to be nothing, but it was still scary. wishing you some benign news soon.

i am having a hard time keeping up with the thread! life has been crazy.
i think i forgot to mention that i did get that adjunct teaching position at the local design college here. <scared>

kerc, geo, other academia-ites...the students, they can smell fear, right? must work on getting my act together. i start in january.

i have no running to report : very rainy dreary day here too

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#428 of 932 Old 11-15-2006, 11:22 AM

me too. It's an Ohio day here in ga.

eksmom--I didn't wear the diva on my long run yesterday bc I figured that would be a really bad time to find out that it didn't work...most likely between miles six and seven or something.

guys, I sold a carrier! to a friend who I hadn't heard from in a while...she saw my site and ordered. and with HBM's marketing I should sell a few more... I changed the site a bit and I like it better.

must go write a sermon and work on chapel. no running today, blech.
#429 of 932 Old 11-15-2006, 11:23 AM

No exercise so far, still in my pajamas. I did clean both bathrooms, though. Mommabelle, way to go on even thinking about The Firm in this sleepy weather.

Mamabeth-I need some cards to carry around with me!

Poppy-Way to go on the job!

#430 of 932 Old 11-15-2006, 11:28 AM

oh I forgot....balancin1 I'd be up for trying to run every day. I do that during Lent sometimes (if I'm not pg!) and it would be a good idea because of all the, you know, BAKING, that happens.
#431 of 932 Old 11-15-2006, 11:30 AM

Yay Poppy! Yeah, they can smell fear. Go in with a bang on day one, get 'em excited and get them to take on the class from there. Then it's easy. I always bring meteorites to look at the first day so they get fired up. Hmmm, that might not work for you. I also bring candy in at some point mid-quarter when things start to drag.
#432 of 932 Old 11-15-2006, 12:42 PM

Poppy, congrats on getting the position!

I was just thinking of SallyZ last night... how are you doing, mama?

My good news so far for the day is that my leg is pain-free! Woo-hoo! I had a feeling I just needed to use it, get some blood flowing to the area and get it loosened up. I did take enough ibuprofen to help w/ any inflammation last night (600mg) so I don't know if that contributed or not. I'm hoping to get in 3 easy miles today.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#433 of 932 Old 11-15-2006, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeth View Post
me too. It's an Ohio day here in ga.
Yay there that's not fair True but not fair. I miss GA for running weather for sure!

Ran 4.5 miles this morning because I wore my running clothes to bed. Last night was the last party for dd's birthday. It has been a long 5 days of parties and family visiting. I have been so unmotivated to get up in the morning and workout that I figured I'd feel really guilty having to change out of my running clothes if I didn't run in the morning. I ran a really fast 4 miles on Monday in my ma's neighborhood. Speedwise I am getting excited about the 1/2. I am sure I will not be able to walk the rest of my vacation in Atl afterwards between the hills on the course and going for a PR.

Must get back to work. So excited that I will be seeing Mamabeth, Eksmom and HBM next week!
#434 of 932 Old 11-15-2006, 12:57 PM

I'm excited, too. I wish I could run it with you. Anyone up for a Dingo Run for the Peachtree this year??? I'll be ready for that!
We could make little Dingo ears to wear...or tails...

or not...

#435 of 932 Old 11-15-2006, 02:25 PM

More news on my aunt... she saw her oncologist and he seemed to feel that the lump means the cancer has come back. She is going Thursday for a scan to confirm. He said radiation would be the next step. :

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#436 of 932 Old 11-15-2006, 02:26 PM

Oh no, Katherine

#437 of 932 Old 11-15-2006, 02:56 PM

hi mamas,
it is a long while sinc ei have been on this thread. let me first send hugs of encouragement of all kinds, to anyone who needs one!

in the spring, just getting back after a lazy winter, i messed up my left knee. that led to a persistent trouble in my right hip. now i am ready to start from absolute scratch, with mostly walking.

does anyone have advice on keeping a walking program interesting--especially one that will happen mostly on a treadmill? any ideas will be appreciated.
(i will slowly put some running in, but speedwork is about 3 months away, i'd guess.)

warm wishes,
lisa

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#438 of 932 Old 11-15-2006, 02:59 PM

Wow, I'm super behind - have been awol, sorry.

Quick update: E, G, and I all had the stomach flu at various times last week. Found out last Wed that my dad was in a bad car accident in Mexico, but amazingly both he and his dog were barely hurt (though his truck was totaled). Planned to go down with G to help my dad get back to the US (fly to TX border, rent minivan, and drive down to pick him up), but then discovered a state dept travel advisory warning of increasing levels of "brutal violence" in the area between the TX border and where he is. Couldn't take the risk of anything happening to G, and couldn't leave both kids with DH, so I didn't go. I'm helping my dad from afar with car reservations and such but feel guilty about not helping him more.

On the upside, DH had an interview last week for a tenure track position in the dept (3mi from my job) where he already is lecturing and collaborating with people. All our fingers and toes are crossed!

Gotta run analyze some data and write an overdue abstract, but wanted to check in. Hope y'all are doing well
#439 of 932 Old 11-15-2006, 03:22 PM

CherylAnn, I am in WA but I am a new to running, well I was in track in midle and high school . Yoga was my latest passion til I sprained my wrist.

the glitter man has me

ok time to bathe my child.
#440 of 932 Old 11-15-2006, 04:34 PM

Mamabeth, it would be so cool if you'd do the run-a-day thing with me, as I was totally thinking of you when I thought it up.

I'm getting really fired up for the Mini. I think I'll do Hal Higdon's intermediate half plan because it totally looks doable and the races he puts into his schedule are almost magically synching up with some others I want to do: the Shamrock Shuffle and the 10K and 15K of the indy mini training series. I think I may do this one over the holidays too. I am thinking several races over 5K would be good for me before the half. Whether I do a 5K or 10K on NYE depends on what my time is for the 8K next week, since I might want to try to get a qualifying 5K time for the half if I don't hit my time goal for next week. I am such a race geek.

DrJen and Shanti--I will ask my coworker who lives out that direction if he has any ideas for a good place to eat. Our warehouse for work is not that far away either, maybe they have some suggestions.

Oh, back to training plans. I am thinking of doing this internal GPS one in January before starting the Hal Higdon program. So fun to plot it all out!
#441 of 932 Old 11-15-2006, 05:12 PM

hi everyone. I hired a sitter to come yesterday evening while I was at class. Only problem is/was she doesn't drive. But...we made it through. Dh was home and helped with Leah. DH slept well last night. I slept with the girls next door in Erin's room. My hip is sore -- I now remember why cosleeping was so much easier in a queen than a full sized bed.

Dh woke up this morning feeling slightly less under the weather. yay!

Leah never had her hearing tested at birth (its state law apparently, but the machine was broken so my family doc referred us to an ENT doc who has a machine). Went a month ago: can't test hearing because she has fluid behind her ears. At the time both the ENT doc and my doc looked and said "Ears look good." Then we went down to the audiologist who said "she has fluid behind her ears." Come back in a month (today). ENT doc looks in her ears "Yep still fluid in there, she needs tubes." : I was pissed at his reaction. He said, "Well I guess we could check again, come to think of it most kids clear the fluid in 3 months." Anyone else have any experience with this? I'm going back to my family doc to discuss and maybe get a second opinion.

Other rant of the day: I have been using a cubicle at work for my desk. It is officially assigned to me and another woman, who I hadn't seen all semester. She showed up today, introduced herself and she's a piece of work. I prefer non-talking co-workers when I'm staring at my computer and frantically trying to take some powerpoint slides and shape them intoa lecture in 10 minutes.

poppy congrats on the job!
Everyone else

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#442 of 932 Old 11-15-2006, 07:08 PM

Oh, you are doing the 10K and 15K too!!?? whoo hooo!!! welcome here those dates too!! Where are you trying to get your time for, the prefferred or one of the seeded corrals? This is so exciting!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balancin1 View Post
Mamabeth, it would be so cool if you'd do the run-a-day thing with me, as I was totally thinking of you when I thought it up.

I'm getting really fired up for the Mini. I think I'll do Hal Higdon's intermediate half plan because it totally looks doable and the races he puts into his schedule are almost magically synching up with some others I want to do: the Shamrock Shuffle and the 10K and 15K of the indy mini training series. I think I may do this one over the holidays too. I am thinking several races over 5K would be good for me before the half. Whether I do a 5K or 10K on NYE depends on what my time is for the 8K next week, since I might want to try to get a qualifying 5K time for the half if I don't hit my time goal for next week. I am such a race geek.

DrJen and Shanti--I will ask my coworker who lives out that direction if he has any ideas for a good place to eat. Our warehouse for work is not that far away either, maybe they have some suggestions.

Oh, back to training plans. I am thinking of doing this internal GPS one in January before starting the Hal Higdon program. So fun to plot it all out!
#443 of 932 Old 11-15-2006, 07:11 PM

Kerc~sorry for what you are going through with the fluid in the ears. Two of my sons had a really rough time with fluid and ear infections, and both ended up on tubes. It got to the point that they were on constant antibiotics for three months, almost four, and ds2 started reading my lips because he couldn't hear. It was scary. I finally agreed to think about tubes when I realized he was lip reading. It definitly helped us get through the rough patch, and "knock on wood" havent' had any trouble since. Hope you are able to work it out. Our pediatrician is very reserved on the ear tubes, it took a lot ot get her to that point, so I dont' know how that relates to yoru doctors.
#444 of 932 Old 11-15-2006, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Where does the time go????? This day flew by far too quickly - I only accomplished a fraction of what I had hope to. And my sewing machine is acting wonky again.
#445 of 932 Old 11-15-2006, 08:54 PM

Peeking in here - I'm 27 weeks preggo and have stayed moderately in shape this pregnancy. I'm doing mostly strength, stretching, and some cardio work - focused mainly on labor/delivery and some post-partum things like nursing. A close friend is a personal trainer who focuses on pregnancy and she developed this 4 page plan for me that has me doing a lot of lunges, squats, lower back, and shoulder stuff with cardio.

Mamabeth invited me over here because I'm wanting to get more serious about running as a part of my post-partum fitness. I'm 27 years old and have really low bone density and now that I know that bone density starts to decrease at age 30, I've been planning on taking the next few years and trying to clock in some serious hours doing high impact exercize. I think running would probably be the best fit for me as I used to enjoy running a lot until I had my first DD and I married into a family of runners so I'm surrounded by it - wanting to get back to it.

I'm researching jogging strollers right now and wondering what my best options are. I have a 3 yo and I'm due in Feb. I know I can't run with the baby right away in the jogger so I'm thinking I may just meet with one of my sister in laws (I have 2 who are due within weeks of me and both are runners) and just swapping babysitting while the other runs/works out. I am trying to decide if I should get a double or a single. I could still walk with the double and maybe take it to the HS track near me (have to check if that's allowed - 2 SIL's & 1 BIL coach track) and walk behind it doing lunges and stuff. You can put little babies (2-3 mos?) in a jogger and walk/do slower stuff right as long as they have the head support, right??

I know I'm supposed to start postpartum mostly doing kegels and then walking and depending on how I'm doing I can slowly start up running - I'm wanting to get a better idea of what my gameplan needs to be. One of my SIL's - a marathoner and track coach - thinks I should try to train for a 5K in June. That's probably reasonable for a start up right? I'm just trying to get my mind around what I need to do / be doing now. :
#446 of 932 Old 11-15-2006, 09:40 PM

Hi Becky and . I'm just starting back post-partum. I ran until around 28ish weeks and then stopped b/c of pelvis problems. It feels great to run again! I'm also in a family and neighborhood of runners. It seems like right now almost all of my friends are runners. I think you should probably be fine to look for a 5K in June. You may not be the fastest, but it sounds like a good first goal.

#447 of 932 Old 11-15-2006, 09:54 PM

Balancin1 - I love your idea... I'm not sure I could commit to running every day b/c I'm not in the greatest running shape, but I was thinking I would like to try to do something everyday to be more mindful and connected to my body and spirit during the crazy holidays, even if it were walking, biking, or yoga on my non running days... Would that count?

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#448 of 932 Old 11-15-2006, 11:17 PM

Caillie - i just checked out your blog and i have to say that your daughter is gorgeous! so pudgy and cute and full of personality. i love it!

no run today, ended up without my shoes. but i needed to do something so i went and did about 40 minutes of yoga - thinking about BBM and how she reports on her sucessful practices. i needed the quiet time and centering time and i do feel better.

currently crafting up a storm. orders coming in and going out and have to get some things ready for a few craft shows in December. Hopefully I'll be as successful as Poppy!
#449 of 932 Old 11-15-2006, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicocj View Post
Would that count?
Heck yes! All aboard!

7 miles today, in the rain and WIND, pushing the jogger while DD (shhhhhh!) napped. I'm still kinda in awe that it happened.
#450 of 932 Old 11-16-2006, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post
Oh, you are doing the 10K and 15K too!!?? whoo hooo!!! welcome here those dates too!! Where are you trying to get your time for, the prefferred or one of the seeded corrals? This is so exciting!!
Just the preferred start corral. I think it is totally in reach, I just don't know if I can do it next week...

I'm thinking the 10K and 15K would be really good prep for the mini and might make me feel more confident. And goodness knows I stick to my training a lot better with a race in front of my nose...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page