Turkey Trottin' Running Mamas November Thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 932 Old 11-03-2006, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all...I'm afraid you're moving much faster than I can keep up these days, but I am trying!

Still slow and short here, have not run more than 6 miles at a stretch, and I am maxing out at a 10 minute mile average pace, using walk breaks every 1-1.5 miles. Trying to run at least 4, preferably 5 days weekly, want to work it back up to 30something miles weekly. Weight seems to be dropping for now (and would drop faster had there been no such thing as Halloween!).

Dh and I are also in the midst of trying to buy a farmette. Yes, for real. I am freaked out a little. It's not a sudden desire, but rather a sudden opportunity we are pursuing, and we hope it all works out. Wish us luck. It would not be a full-time, career-switch farm, but rather an addition to our current work farm. Not so much for income as self-sustaining family work...anyway, we're trying. I'm doing all I can to try and shore it up.

And now I am off to run.
#122 of 932 Old 11-03-2006, 06:41 PM

1jooj, are you thinking of animals or vegetables on your farmette?(asks the farmer who likes the idea of a farmette vs a farm some days )

So, I just got back from a great 5 mile run! I haven't had such a great run in a while. I did it in 52 min, it was outside, hilly, and incredibly cold and windy. I definitely need to get my outside winter running gear in order. Also, I realized I forget a handkerchief around mile 2 when my nose started to run from the cold. Will definitely remember that next time! I feel so awesome now though, let the endorphins flow! Why do I forget how much better it is to run outside? And now it is getting dark already and everything is already frozen and crunchy out. I really can't believe it is Nov. already. I think I am going to sign up for a T-day 4 miler in Portland. I was going to do a 10k tomorrow, but due to many factors, one of which I am on call for a friend's birth, I'm thinking I won't do it, and do the 4 miler instead and just work on speed goals until then. Have a great weekend everyone, Abby
#123 of 932 Old 11-03-2006, 08:14 PM

got my 5.25. Woo-hoo. TV is becoming part of my t'mill thing. At least I am running, though...

missbliss, we're talking an animal here, a vegetable there. Small and a little of everything. Couple sheep, couple goats, maybe a small multipurpose breed pair of cattle, chickens, turkeys, a couple of fun animals, large garden, fruit trees, bees. I grew up on a dairy farm and dh grew up a shepherd. We both have some experience with vegetables, trees and even bees. One thing at a time. One thing neither of us minds is poo, which is good.
#124 of 932 Old 11-03-2006, 09:46 PM

WTG, 1jooj!!!

Dr.Jen, I loved reading your post about how your kids learn. I'm totally fascinated by that stuff!!!

Thanks for the good wishes for tonight! I'll post pics of tongue hair, asap! A young friend of mine posted a video of Seymour and I on her myspace. I won't link to it, but it was fun to see it and see how I need to change what I'm doing! Yikes!

ETA: HBM, thanks for the advice for my eyes!!!!!
#125 of 932 Old 11-03-2006, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
3 miles on the treadmill.

DH should be a physical therapist. From his dozen visits, he learned enough about anatomy of muscles + joints that he can pretty much puzzle out what's wrong at times. For the last several days, my hip has been so painful when I stand or walk that I've been walking stiff legged and I sat while I lectured Thursday. BUT it's pain free when I run, walk fast or ride my bike. From my description, he suggested one specific stretch. I've done it 4 times today and I've gone from 70% to 80% to 85% to 90% better.

DrJen, I find your description of your oldest son's learning style to match Karen exactly. She can add and subtract, but she's not that solid on counting. She's spent the last 3 months or so peppering us with questions on the moon and the earth and globes. Suddenly in the last few days everything has clicked, and she seems to understand what the Earth is and why she can talk to her grandma on the phone in CA and they can both see the moon at the same time. She has no interest in music, though, much to my disappointment.
#126 of 932 Old 11-03-2006, 11:47 PM

has anyone done 'lose your mummy tummy'? i remember saskiasmom [at least i think it was her] used to avocate the tupler method and i am now getting serious about trying to lose the remaining post child paunch - or what i can lose of it, anyway!

i was at the bookstore today and was overwhelmed with the choices and 'mummy tummy' wasn't among them..so i was wondering if anyone had luck with that or a different method. thanks!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#127 of 932 Old 11-04-2006, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Sounds interesting......... does it work even if you still have a mummy tummy when your "baby" is approaching her seventh birthday? Or is this just a premanent feature on my body? And why do I care so much - I wear a size 4 , sometimes a 2. What is it that makes me actually care that my shape isn't the ideal? Good grief. I need to run not to get rid of the bumps so much as to feel good in and about my body.
#128 of 932 Old 11-04-2006, 09:21 AM

Hey kids, what's shakin?

Like jooj I am completely unable keep up anymore. I'm working to get my photography business going and working ft and trying to get my running back on schedule (I'm shooting for four times a week starting next week...but it's going to be tough to get the fourth each wee)
Today I'm shooting a portrait of 1Jooj to commemorate her HUGE weight loss (what is it now...95lbs??) and marathon finish. I can't wait. I'm also shooting portraits of a mother and her two kids (family and separately). They are all runners, which ties them together, so I'm taking them to a track for half of the shoot, and making them wear their running gear In 40 degree weather..... They'll suffer, but I guarantee they'll love the photos. I have a portrait shoot of a 4 year old next weekend and a 6 month old a couple days later... and bookings are coming in.
Have a great day. I'll be sure to post when 1Jooj's portrait is up on my blog for you to see!!
HEY NAUGHTY DINGO.....YOU'D GET THE 'RUNNING MAMA-FRIEND' RATE FOR SOME NEWBORN PHOTOS.....
#129 of 932 Old 11-04-2006, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Great to see you here reb- we miss you! Glad you are busy with such good stuff though.
#130 of 932 Old 11-04-2006, 09:30 AM

Morning y'all... uh... I'm supposed to be going out for 11 miles in an hour. It's um, 24 degrees outside. I haven't run in anything colder than about 50 yet this season. At least there's no wind... if there were I would be thinking about bailing on EK's teacher, which wouldn't be nice.

Crossing my fingers that this goes OK...

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#131 of 932 Old 11-04-2006, 09:54 AM

You know Reb - I wish we could afford someone to come and photograph the birth. I see all these cool shots of that and wish I had that...that would be an awesome thing to advertise as something you could do!
#132 of 932 Old 11-04-2006, 11:24 AM

Ran 2 in the cold on Thursday and am trying to figure out how to squeeze a run in today. Weekends are hard because DH is working. If my child did not scream when I get out of bed without her I would have gotten up and done it this morning. As I type this out it all sounds like excuses just to be overcome, doesn't it? I'll work something out. Maybe bundle up the kid and put her in the stroller. I sure wish we had room for a treadmill.

If this is going to happen today I better boogie so the day moves along...
#133 of 932 Old 11-04-2006, 11:33 AM

Well..did a treadmill run this morning with the kids asking me all sorts of questions at the same time. I finally told them I can't talk right now..go and ask Daddy. They are funny little honeys. I'm following along as best I can with the chit chat..interesting. Cleaning out the basement today so the kids can have a run around space on cold/rainy days this winter. Have a good weekend!
#134 of 932 Old 11-04-2006, 11:45 AM

LOL what if Reb came and shot the birth.... We'd also get a gnome by gnome replay after the fact I bet, a la marathon training style. And that would be pretty much the coolest ever

I am still sick but getting better. Happily it is the weekend and all is better on the weekends.

Baby dropped on Thursday. My pelvis and lover abdomen is still adjusting but I am a bit less sore. Woohoo for progress in the right direction. Now she has some time to do her work on my cervix for that nice short easy labor

I am just doing yoga now. I to BBM who is still getting out YEAH! But my body feels good despite being tired and cumberous (don't know if that is a word but it describes how I am feeling haha)

Recently I have been so excited to resume running. What a great feeling and what a great way for me to be able to kick off the new year.

OK gotta go play candy land :

Smooch to you all - Have good runs today ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

#135 of 932 Old 11-04-2006, 12:17 PM

BBM and ND... 1jooj and I were just talking about making that a special area of photography I could offer.... doing a photojournalistic documentation of labor, birth, and the first portraits after birth. It could be a nice package, even including the newborn portraits at two weeks and baby portraits at three months and at whatever intervals a customer wanted. I'd use black and white so the blood didn't really show and to make it more in the photojournalism style. I could stay above the waist or not, depending on the person. I don't think anyone is doing birth portraiture/documentation here.
ND, I'd do it if we knew I could get there in time. I would.
#136 of 932 Old 11-04-2006, 12:19 PM

um...ND...I think I can describe it for myself...GINORMOUS! I am freaking GINORMOUS!!!! I actually scratched my belly coming out of the bathroom because I didn't give myself enough room to get past the door latch

I'm trying not to flip out here...We just got the estimate to fix dh's car... 1600. His radiator is cracked, he's leaking transmission fluid...Now let's add this to me being pregnant, about to go on leave in 6 weeks and facing 3 months of unpaid leave. F*@k.
#137 of 932 Old 11-04-2006, 12:20 PM

Oh Reb!! That sounds awesome! I think if more people could see things like that they would love it and want it. I never even thought of it as an option until seeing some montages around mothering.
#138 of 932 Old 11-04-2006, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantimama View Post
Sounds interesting......... does it work even if you still have a mummy tummy when your "baby" is approaching her seventh birthday? Or is this just a premanent feature on my body? And why do I care so much - I wear a size 4 , sometimes a 2. What is it that makes me actually care that my shape isn't the ideal? Good grief. I need to run not to get rid of the bumps so much as to feel good in and about my body.

ITA about feeling good in my body and there is no "diet" or "mummy tummy nixer" that will do that for me. Running it is. The golden key to balance and happiness.

Syrinx, Soulmate to Pan, Mama to Zion (5), River (3), Silver (1) and expecting a baby Storm...
#139 of 932 Old 11-04-2006, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantimama View Post
yeah i hear ya - it's not like i have to get rid of it or else i won't feel good about myself. it just bugs me and i want to get fit to feel better in general - does that make sense? maybe not : anyway - i thought a couple of mamas here had tried it, but perhaps just saskiasmom

#140 of 932 Old 11-04-2006, 03:22 PM

Poppy, I tried it. I bought the book. But I quickly discovered I didn't have the patience to sit against a wall and contract my stomach muscles eleventy-hundred times while thinking of an elevator. Bottom line is I was too lazy.

#141 of 932 Old 11-04-2006, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
Poppy, I tried it. I bought the book. But I quickly discovered I didn't have the patience to sit against a wall and contract my stomach muscles eleventy-hundred times while thinking of an elevator. Bottom line is I was too lazy.
I think I would have the same problem. How did your run go this morning?
#142 of 932 Old 11-04-2006, 03:50 PM

missbliss, thanks for asking about my run. It was good. At times I thought I was insane for trying to do 11 when my last long run was 8 two weeks ago, and not much going on before or since... but I did it. And I actually feel OK now, so maybe I didn't overdo it. EK's teacher runs a little faster than me, and I may have held her back somewhat, but hopefully she didn't mind too much. All in all it was good to get out there, and maybe, just maybe, I can keep it up.

#143 of 932 Old 11-04-2006, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post

sounds a tad boring...

i think i'll look for something else it's just that tupler had the whole diastasis thing covered and how not to make it worse [like pilates can, i think]

#144 of 932 Old 11-04-2006, 04:18 PM

I was excited to race again. It has nearly 2 whole months since a race. But then I was dead dog sick last/this week. The only other time I have raced this distance was in January and then I got injured afterwards. I ran that one in 1:24:12. It was only the second time I had run the distance in my life. Obviously I have run the distance many times now, weigh about 20 lbs less but even still the thought of being faster than that seemed impossible. I knew I would go out fast. I always do. The first three miles were all ~7:30 min mile. I think I could easily beat my 5k pr at this point in racing. Around mile 4 there was a turn around and I realized I was the 5th female overall and pretty far in the front. The woman who was #4 I knew I would never catch, she was already way up ahead. The next woman behind me wasn't that far back either. At the five mile marker I was way ahead of my old time. By nearly four minutes. I stopped for water because I thought I should. I really need to start training with water stops, they are my downfall. Well that drink just swished in my stomach for the next mile and then around mile 6 I got a side cramp. I could have cried. I really just wanted to stop running. My pace dropped a lot. The next woman behind me passed me and all I could do was watch. I breathed through it. Mentally talked myself through it. I knew at mile 7 I could stop if I had to as we were passing the finish area and heading back in another direction for the last three miles. It really sucked. I stopped watching my pace. But by mile 7 it was getting better and I went on. Slowly I picked up speed again and I realized I only had 3 miles. What is 3 miles? Nothing! By mile 8 it was gone. And I was feeling good. 2 miles is really nothing. I hit the last turn back about 8.5 miles and realized I was home free. There were no more women behind me that could catch me and I was racing against the clock at this point. Mile 9 and I felt jubilant. I ran hard. I thought about my crappy partner and Katherine and Mandy's dh woes and I ran my a$$ off for us. For all the times I have been pissed and frustrated. For all the times I have been hurt and sad. I crossed the line in 1:17:25!! The last two miles were 7:30 min/mile or less. 6th woman across. I won my division. 7:45min/mile pace overall. That is amazing to me. I feel on top of the world right now. Oh how I love running endorphins.

So I am back on the racing track and loving it. Must shower and start the rest of my day. dp is being poopy for some reason but he can just stick it today. Hope everyone else has a great weekend!!
#145 of 932 Old 11-04-2006, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

: :

2BBS You ROCK Woman! Blinding fast speed! You must be sooo high right now! Congratulations!!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#146 of 932 Old 11-04-2006, 04:41 PM

Woohoo, 2bb's!! You are fast!!!
#147 of 932 Old 11-04-2006, 04:48 PM

awesome job 2BB's - good for you for sticking with it! Perseverance and power!

I forgot to post a pic of dd's b-day cake:

http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...gAnch=imgAnch1
#148 of 932 Old 11-04-2006, 04:52 PM

cReb-I have a friend that does birth photography. Here'sa link to her site. I think you would be awesome at it. And isn't JenLove maybe moving near you and TTC?

I was going to try a walk/run this morning, but J decided not to sleep last night, so I slept this morning instead.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#149 of 932 Old 11-04-2006, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppywise View Post

sounds a tad boring...

i think i'll look for something else it's just that tupler had the whole diastasis thing covered and how not to make it worse [like pilates can, i think]
Can you check the book out from the library and see if it sounds like something you would do? I know that somewhere there was a pretty comprehensive article online... I think saskiasmom linked it at some point... I will see if I can find that.

#150 of 932 Old 11-04-2006, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post
I forgot to post a pic of dd's b-day cake:
Wow, BBM, that's a super-neat cake!! Did you make that?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page