Turkey Trottin' Running Mamas November Thread - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 932 Old 11-06-2006, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mamabeth that makes sense. I think I remember something about running helping to elevate serotonin which is one of the neurotransmitters involved in depression (if I recall correctly).

2BB - seriously that cake is completely do-able. I didn't think I could do it and it turned out way better than I anticipated.

hms - I wonder if just getting outside a bit more could help the winter blues?
#182 of 932 Old 11-06-2006, 11:30 AM

Had a good weekend. Just got in a weights workout today but it was tough. The kids school wants them there 15 min earlier..so it was hectic this morning. DD said she was sick...but then she doesn't have the happiest teacher this year..so I hear that alot. But, yippee no school tomorrow.
hmsmomma...I'm new here..but hope you are feeling better soon. I've been in funks before.

animus...yippee!

eksmom/shanti...Mmm..that soup sounds really good!

I've gotta to get out and do some driving errands..takes forever to drive around here. Nutso! Have a good day!
#183 of 932 Old 11-06-2006, 12:57 PM

Michele, I went through my first depression season without drugs last spring. I don't have SAD, but spring is usually really hard. What worked for me was maintaining a schedule that included lots of exercise outside. I had a friend who wanted an accountability partner, so she would call me every morning to make sure I was getting out there. At first I didn't want to run at all, so I walked while carrying my book. I let myself turn inward and tried to embrace where I was and not let it scare me. I used a lot of unhealthy escape tactics for a while, but got over that. Another big thing that helped was taking on responsibility outside of home. I don't mean a job, either. I got involved with something I enjoy that required a great deal of my attention and it distracted me pretty thoroughly. I know these things don't always work and that meds are sometimes a good way to go, but I'm still med-free after 14 mo. I'm more neurotic, depressed, enthusiastic off drugs, but I'm trying to accept that person because I think she's more creative. Keep us posted on how you are doing and what you are doing to fight your depression!
#184 of 932 Old 11-06-2006, 01:05 PM

Still reading, but hms... you might want to take a look at this article:

Enjoying the Winter Holiday Season

I know we discussed this topic last winter and I just found this article a few days ago. Hope it's helpful. I am going to try some of the suggestions.

Along those lines: I will run outside today in the sun. I will run outside today in the sun. I will run outside today in the sun...

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#185 of 932 Old 11-06-2006, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
Still reading, but hms... you might want to take a look at this article:

Enjoying the Winter Holiday Season
Thanks for the link, that is nice article. Last Christmas DD had just been born, and I was still trying to run around and do a traditional Christmas and be Martha Stewart lol... and I feel like I missed out on just relaxing and enjoying the new family. So this year my goal is to try to curb myself in making/buying the "perfect" present, cooking the best dish, making the cutest card and just be in the moment a little more during Christmas and Thanksgiving too...

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#186 of 932 Old 11-06-2006, 04:06 PM

Hi ladies,

woke up with a really bad sore throat and ear pain. how much vit. c and eachanacia do you take when you are sick?
#187 of 932 Old 11-06-2006, 04:20 PM

Lisa, I don't take extra stuff when I'm sick, so I don't know. Drink lots of water, though!! Ouch!
#188 of 932 Old 11-06-2006, 04:41 PM

I went for a solo run yesterday morning It felt great-K slept in, so I was just getting back in the house when dh came down the stairs with her. Good timing He got a nice 8 mile solo run in on Saturday-so all I was asking for was a quick 4.5 miles!

I know I have talked a lot about dh's family and how upset his parents make him...Every year we host Thanksgiving-it started, because he was on call (IT guy) one year and needed to be able to respond. So that just started to us hosting -we have been doing it for the past probably 7 years or so-and enjoy it. We have about 20 people over and its always lots of fun. We always start the day with a run-and the past few years we have been doing an organized Turkey trot-then come back to the house for some mad cleaning-then on to the cooking and everyone showing up. After disappointment after disappointment this year with his family-and Thanksgiving being his absolute favorite holiday-he sent out an email to his family telling them not only are we not hosting this year-but we are also not going anywhere this year. So I am sure this looks super selfish on our part-but its a much needed decompression-which is actually how he phrased it in his email. Anyway-for certain we will now get even more of a cold shoulder from his family-but oh well. They are used to us doing things like this though-our very first Thanksgiving as a married couple 12 years ago was spent with just the two of us and we had a ball We wanted to set off our Thanksgiving tradition as our holiday with no traditions -so that we would never hear "but last year you spent it with them, etc...". I am really looking forward to it this year-I think it will be tons of fun!
#189 of 932 Old 11-06-2006, 04:42 PM

Runningmommy-I have had two times in the past month of waking up with a sore throat-I took numerous packets of Emergen-C spread throughout the day both times and it never went beyond that and was gone within the day. Good luck!!
#190 of 932 Old 11-06-2006, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
dh and I checked out the new gym aorund the corner from us and it looks great! Except that they need to do some serious airing out of the place (everything is new and offgasing like mad) if I am going to be able to breathe in there. VERY affordable - they have a couples rate too.

I may walk later tonight, but exercise today was moving a cord of wood into our basement. Hoping to move a cord a day for the next week or do until it is all done.
#191 of 932 Old 11-06-2006, 07:30 PM

Hi ladies!
I made the amazing parsnip soup from Shanti today! It is amazing! We love it!

As far as running goes, I have officially given up trying to leave Nora with the Y babysitting for awhile. She is definitely in the separation anxiety phase full force, so I will be doing jogging stroller runs from now on. (or trying to run when dh can watch the kids) So, I ran 3+ miles today inside around the track. I didn't keep track how many laps I did because that makes me crazy :, I just decided to run for 35 min and it seemed like I was running fast. Other than almost taking out a few innocent elderly walkers, it was a good run.
#192 of 932 Old 11-06-2006, 07:46 PM

I did 3 miles outside this afternoon... one of my familiar routes downtown. It was nice. Still a little achy from the 11 on Saturday, but maybe it'll be gone tomorrow. I can't run tomorrow anyway - DH is working the polls, so I am responsible for getting EK up and out in the morning (which I'm usually not), and I also have two appointments - one of which is with the psychiatrist. So it will be Wed. before I run again.

RM I hope you feel better soon! I have found that Airborne works wonders.

missbliss, sounds like a good run. I would go nuts trying to count laps too. At my gym it takes 7.5 laps to make a mile.

Shanti, how is your back?

Pumpkinseed, I think your Thanksgiving sounds great. Good for y'all for not being guilted into something you don't feel is good for you.

1jooj, the farm stuff sounds so exciting. It's nice that you feel good either way it goes. You are looking great! :

Cheryl I saw the tongue hair! Too funny! How is the show going? How many performances are there?

So... a small update from here... I think being diagnosed w/ depression and my upcoming appt with the psychiatrist have scared me into reevaluating how I'm handling this situation with DH. I'll admit it mamas, I have been pretty angry, cold, and nasty with him. I gradually started to see that even if everything was suddenly perfect, I probably wouldn't be able to give him credit for it. So as of this weekend I am trying to turn over a new leaf. The bottom line is I don't want to end up splitting up, but I haven't been acting much like that lately. I already feel better with my attitude change. I wonder if anyone has ever visited a psychiatrist and NOT walked out with a script for meds? The truth is I am terrified of going on them. So we'll see. I will be honest at my appointment tomorrow, and we'll just see what happens, I guess.

#193 of 932 Old 11-06-2006, 08:12 PM

I am still here. Haven't logged on here in at least a week though. Trying to spend more time with the kids and get my life back in order. Seems to be working.

I miss you all, but need to do this right now to not lose control. I will come back later to post some pictures of the little man. 5 weeks old today already. BTW eksmom-yes Jim did get his new camera. We are all doing well. The transition to 4 hasn't been bad. I just have lots of catching up to do with things around the house.

I haven't been able to catch up on the thread so I have no idea what is going on. Thinking of ND and BBM. You guys are getting so close. Thinking of you all actually.

Running report-Can you believe I'm posting a running report. I ran one short mile on Halloween and have done 2 miles each of the past 3 days. My body can really feel it. Haven't used some of those muscles in awhile. I think my goal for now is to try for at least 3 3 mile runs a week and take it from there. My jiggling butt, legs and belly need some tightening.

Patti
#194 of 932 Old 11-06-2006, 08:34 PM

Hi Patti...good to hear from you! Thinking about you mama.

RM--I take an extra vitamin C every few hours, or an airborne every little bit. It usually does work for me...I don't care if it's power of suggestion! hope you feel better. did you get it from me? I am trying to shake the same thing.
#195 of 932 Old 11-06-2006, 08:45 PM

RM-start taking zinc ASAP. I swear it works, especially when you use it with Emergen C. PM'ing you now...

Hoping for my first post-partum run tomorrow. I'm so excited and a little nervous.

Cheryl-how was the show???

I joined a women's choir and I'm having a blast. It's a bunch of older ladies and a few SAHM's. We meet on Monday mornings and sing for seniors centers, nursing homes, etc. It's really fun music and no pressure. I just wear J in my Mamabeth MT (more compliments today ) and enjoy myself.

No school tomorrow for election day. I'm a little nervous about going to vote with all 3 kids and possibly long lines. Yikes!

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#196 of 932 Old 11-06-2006, 08:54 PM

*Sweetbaby dips her toe in the water....*

I have what might seem like a dumb question. I live in Colorado, altitude about 7000 ft. I am 41. Have always wanted to run, but never did because I was too thin. I am now 137lbs and 5'10". I work three nights a week, and am totally fried the next day and sleep until 2pm. My question is....I want to start running (and have almost 2 years ago, but ran/walk, ran/walk for about 3 miles, i know so wimpy!) could i ever get into some kinda of shape, ever not feel winded if I ran twice a week? Or should I just forget it?

Would I lose weight? Whats good to eat before a run so i dont come home and eat an entire tray of oreos and three bagels with cheese...

I would appreciate any advice. I dont want to hijack the thread, so you can PM me if you want.

Lisa
#197 of 932 Old 11-06-2006, 09:18 PM

patti, so good to "see" you! thanks for checking in. :

sweetbaby - do you *want to lose weight? i was kind of confused by your post. i am small by most standards - but able to do some significant distance with a good amount of training. i don't have much advice if you want to lose weight, but plenty of ideas if you're worried about keeping it on! lmk what you need.

i have a classic story about getting lost during my run this weekend, that makes me reconsider trail running since i got lost in an area i know well, on pavement. i'm off to get the last kiddo to bed, and i'll be back.
#198 of 932 Old 11-06-2006, 09:22 PM

I can't beleive I forgot to post this when I was here earlier............... my beloved SIL phoned me this afternoon to say she thought she was in labour! Her due date is the same as yours, ND. I love her SO much. The call came 5 hours ago and she hasn't called back to say things died down, so I hope she is in active labour by now! This is her second baby and the first one came quickly. It is taking ALL of my self control not to phone and see what's happening or else get in the car and drive ten hours to Chicago. Two and a half weeks until we go - just think, meeting a new niece (they found out ages ago) and a couple of Dingoes!
#199 of 932 Old 11-06-2006, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate~mom View Post

sweetbaby - do you *want to lose weight? i was kind of confused by your post. i am small by most standards - but able to do some significant distance with a good amount of training. i don't have much advice if you want to lose weight, but plenty of ideas if you're worried about keeping it on! lmk what you need.
Sorry, I didnt mean to sound confusing. Here's the thing, I do not want to lose pounds. I am on the lanky side as it is, but I do have a tummy which I am hoping will go away a little if i run. So I need ideas on what to eat. I do not want to get too thin. I want my posture to improve.

I would like to run more than two blocks and not stop and walk Whats funny is I can do a "spin" class at the Y and finish, yet i can't run two steps! Whats wrong with me?
#200 of 932 Old 11-06-2006, 09:23 PM

I am glad people like the carrot and parsnip soup. I wanted to make some today, but we were out of carrots. Go figure - I had parsnips in the fridge, but no carrots. How weird is that? Tomorrow.
#201 of 932 Old 11-06-2006, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbaby3 View Post
I would like to run more than two blocks and not stop and walk Whats funny is I can do a "spin" class at the Y and finish, yet i can't run two steps! Whats wrong with me?
sweetbaby - i think the key is to keep your heartrate up for 30 minutes. so you can walk 30 minutes and no running, then build up the running time to eventually take over the walking time. everyone is different, but i find that i have the most energy for running first thing in the morning. i usually don't eat anything before i head out, but if i feel hungry, then i'll have a bit of toast with peanut butter or some banana. sometimes i just drink some emergen-c and then head out. good luck - you can do it!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#202 of 932 Old 11-06-2006, 09:42 PM

nak
SB3-Welcome! When I started runningI was in good cardiovascular shape, but I still had trouble running w/o being completely winded very fast. I realized I was starting too fast and I switched to a slower jog altenating with walking. The more endurance I built up, the more speed came with it naturally (though i was by no means fast). Mamabeth on this thread taught me to run and each time make your goal to run just a bit farther, like the next mailbox. I'm going to be starting back tomorrow after having a baby, so I'd be glad to be a buddy to build up with you.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#203 of 932 Old 11-06-2006, 09:51 PM

No run on saturday. No run yesterday. 5.5 miles this morning, because I'm starting to panic about the 8K. DD is having a really rough time lately between the 2-yr molars and all the schedule changes. I am having a tough time balancing the runner and the mother, let alone the runner, mother and worker. Ugh. I'm trying to do lots of positive self-talk and find out what changes I need to make so I don't feel like I should always be doing whatever it is I am not doing.
#204 of 932 Old 11-06-2006, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbaby3 View Post
*Sweetbaby dips her toe in the water....* I am now 137lbs and 5'10". I work three nights a week, and am totally fried the next day and sleep until 2pm. My question is....I want to start running (and have almost 2 years ago, but ran/walk, ran/walk for about 3 miles, i know so wimpy!) ......
I would appreciate any advice. I dont want to hijack the thread, so you can PM me if you want.

Lisa
1. hijacking always welcome!
2. I can run at 5'10" and around 140 lbs and not loose weight. I have to eat lots of protein. As in I'll have a bagel and peanut butter AND a yogurt for breakfast.
3. I always run/walk for periods of time until I can run continuously for ~30 minutes. Always. Drives my hubby nuts. But that's the only way I can get my heartrate up enough without getting it sky high. Then once I'm in better running shape then I can run for extended poeriods of time.

patti ann: nice to see you.

Everyone else: I hightailed it home for dh to go to a democratic rally here in Duluth. Get home, he's not here and then decides he doesn't even want to go. poof there went my treadmill time. Ok as I'm typing this I'm thinking "it's 50 degrees out, I could totally take dd2 out in the jogger now. " Off to find shoes. Don't think, just run.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#205 of 932 Old 11-06-2006, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmsmomma4 View Post
hey folks
i haven't been able to post for a few days.
am really stuck in a rut, physically and emotionally. i worked really hard last winter to stay off meds for depression and it is so early in the winter to be thinking about it. i am just having trouble getting happy.
ran 3 1/2 miles on the treadmill saturday. i showed up for karate class, but there wasn't any. the session at the y had ended and i had forgotten. oh well. i did run, stretch, and did 100 crunches. i plan on doing another 3 miles on the treadmill today. actually this evening. or maybe i will do them outside, in which case i will do probably 5 miles. i am really starting to hate the cold.
i love the new born pics and the woman on the motorcycle. a pink harley? i love it!!!
anyone have any ideas on getting out of this major funk i am in???
thanks
peace
michele

Mamabeth is right!! It's ME on my pink bike!! WHICH, BY THE WAY, I'm still regularly riding to work in WISCONSIN in November Oh yeah, baby, who's a tough mama???
and Thanks everyone, regarding my photos
OH and I need help from you wise women.... 1jooj thinks that godaddy.com is legit. Is it? I need to get a website going for my photography business and they are very inexpensive. Anyone know anything about them? Or does anyone have other suggestions for where I can host a site? Id need ease of set up and some good templates, as I'm no computer wiz.

oh, and I just ran four miles on the TM.
#206 of 932 Old 11-06-2006, 10:45 PM

sweetbaby - welcome! I think the walk jog routine is fine! And then just work on increasing the jog portion. As far as eating...just don't eat dairy right before a run : trust me, I know the hard way. I've always been able to eat a lot...but I'm much shorter than you and not pregnant, not a ton lighter. But I'm built very dense (lots of muscle on my legs). I totally think it's possible and you may even find you have more energy.

Reb - I always admire that picture of you and feel a little envious at your coolness

So Kerc...did you think, or did you run?

I walked this morning for about 35 minutes at a good pace. I just never felt like actually running, so I didn't My belly is absolutely ginormous. I must take updated pictures. I'm starting to get that comical look...you know the one, where you're as wide as you are tall?
#207 of 932 Old 11-06-2006, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post
So Kerc...did you think, or did you run?
run. yeah baby! 1.5 miles with only a slight walk (maybe 30 seconds) because I had the jogger and it was too freakin heavy to push up this super huge hill.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#208 of 932 Old 11-06-2006, 11:26 PM

I suck...but you guys are forgiving. : I didn't get my run in. Dealing with realtors, then making dinner, and not having eaten lunch today (I know, I know...), I ran out of steam. In fact, I'm still out of steam. I plan on hydrating before bed and running tomorrow. Early and often--just like voting. We're trying for a secondary position with the farm, but only trying to hold the spot for 3 days anyway. Not really banking on it at all, but que sera, sera, right? It's all OK. We have a great house, great life--we aspire to the farm and we'll get there someday. In fact, we're going to look at another this weekend. Seriously.

You know, I am so glad to be back to running. I feel SOOOOOO much better. This IS my cure. I swear. When I'm running, it regulates my appetite. It regulates my temper. My sadness. My instability. It focuses my creativity. Makes me feel confident and capable. Makes me not freak out over major real estate-related decisions. Eureka. For real. I am even growing to not absolutely hate my body shape--loose, lumpy and all. I at least feel good about how I look IN clothes, which is a real step for me.

SB3, I like what running has done for my stomach muscles. I do a little pilates here and there when I remember, because I find it helps too, but someday, when I drop the last 20 pounds (just humor me), I'll really enjoy the washboard stomach under the, you know, outer layer. Add a little running at a time to your walks, and I am sure you'll be pleased with the results. If you can do it three times a week, great. When I started back after a month off for Ramadan, the first few runs started out really stitchy for me, and I just had to slow down and not worry about my speed so much. It was hard, because I had been pretty focused on working on speed. Now, I am back to just trying to run and enjoy it, at least for a month or so, before really working on getting fast and running long again.

Oh--and I don't know if y'all already covered it, but Lance did say the NYC marathon was the most difficult physical thing he ever did. Sure, his time was 2 hours faster than mine, but I like to think that, if I were an elite athlete already, and I had the greatest names in running as my pacers, I might do OK too. Or not, but still. Woo-hoo. Lance was taped up and gimpy. I laughed my head off and then drove a stick shift home after 26.2. A year after not being able to finish a block.

I will not post here again until there is mileage. Doesn't have to be fast, just decent mileage.
#209 of 932 Old 11-06-2006, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post

Reb - I always admire that picture of you and feel a little envious at your coolness
: : heh heh heh.....1jooj, do NOT tell them about how big of a dork I am and how NOT cool.... How fun to live a secret internet life of a COOL PERSON muahhh haaaaa haaaaaaaaaa
#210 of 932 Old 11-06-2006, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
You know, I am so glad to be back to running. I feel SOOOOOO much better. This IS my cure. I swear. When I'm running, it regulates my appetite. It regulates my temper. My sadness. My instability. It focuses my creativity. Makes me feel confident and capable. Makes me not freak out over major real estate-related decisions. Eureka. For real. I am even growing to not absolutely hate my body shape--loose, lumpy and all. I at least feel good about how I look IN clothes, which is a real step for me.
:

And I followed Lance's marathon effort. I can't help but be impressed by the guy in general, although I was a little bothered to see him being handed his drinks and gels by his posse. And I agree, 1jooj, I think if you were being paced by his pacers you'd be a heckuva lot closer to his time! You rock. Your achievements over the past year amaze me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page