Turkey Trottin' Running Mamas November Thread - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 932 Old 11-08-2006, 12:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2babybees, how very lucky the chidren were not outside, and scary too. Good luck with all the paperwork and repairs

Lisa hope you are feeling better real soon

I love the just run, it got me off the bike and onto the treadmill tonight
#242 of 932 Old 11-08-2006, 01:36 AM

Yeah! mileage to add, a quick 3 miles while the crockpot was making dinner. DH and I took DD in the stroller, then DH did another loop by himself (I don't think running w/ me is enough of a workout for him!) We're watching returns now and that is exciting, even if some of our state (AZ) issues/races aren't exactly how I'd have liked them to have turned out...

Plady - that is cool you're involved w/ MoveOn, my mom does a lot w/ them in Florida....

RM - hope you feel better soon!

2BBs - so sorry to hear about your property damage, what a scare! Hope things get back to normal around your house soon...

Ani's - I agree w/ the PPs about distance/speed, but I just wanted to add IMO it is fun and breaks up weekly workouts to do some speed work (and take the word speed lightly from me - I am slow!) I wouldn't try to combine increasing speed and distance on the same days, though. I pick 1 day every 1-2 weeks and do intervals by time or distance, like jog slow past 3 light poles and then run fast to the next light pole, repeat x times....or by time - walk fast 30 sec, jog 30 sec, sprint 30 sec, jog 30 sec, repeat x times... I like doing stuff like that b/c it is organized and I'm an engineer, so that suits me, lol...

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#243 of 932 Old 11-08-2006, 01:38 AM

Lisa Get well quickly!! Are you getting an rx?

2bb's Wow! What a shock!

Plady, thanks for making those calls!

Any word from Wisconsin?
#244 of 932 Old 11-08-2006, 06:07 AM

my tonsils are swollen and icky white spots. I've been on zithromax since Monday, shouldnt' I feel better by now? today I will take my third dose. getting worried that it's not going away. I've layed on the couch for two days. Poor kids are getting nothing from me. I feel terrible for them. thank God that ds3 still wants to nurse as I am praying that it keeps him from getting this, and praying the other kiddos dont' get it either. dh on the other hand, has been very unsympathetic. I didnt' even take a shower yesterday and dont' know how I'm going to get through another day like this. It's all I can do to drive ds1 to and from school and fix meals. your support really is helping, thank you ladies.
#245 of 932 Old 11-08-2006, 10:11 AM

word from wisconsin: :Puke We've apparently passed a marriage ban and we're revisiting the death penalty. Go progressive wisconsin.

I only got calls from Laura Bush, Tommy Thompson, Mark Green, Bill Clinton...yeah I think that's it. No one actually called me. Which is fine. Our governor stands (thank goodness), but the state assembly and the referenda have me concerned. At least the awful ads are gone for a few months.

Not to make politics the topic of discussion here...but it makes me feel : .
#246 of 932 Old 11-08-2006, 10:49 AM

what a day. got bad news for dh. (we are in a wicked financial mess and this news will add to it). my own father is having his own woahs, of which i am privy and sort of a part of. he goes to court next week.
i had a long long talk with a great friend and i have made a conscious decission to choose happiness. i am going to be selfish and do the things that i want to do. i am making a plan.
in very general terms i told dh i cannot take all the financial crap anymore, between him and my dad, and i need a break from it. he had nothing to say, which is pretty indicative of how things go with us. he offered to make me food but i said i was too aggrivated to eat. after all that he said... what are you aggrivated about. men! ugh.
BUT i did get in a good 3+ miles on the treadmill last night. i am sore this morning as i ran more and faster than i usually do.
i finally got to talk to my brother in law who ran the NYC marathon. his sister in law (his wifes sister) ran in it also. he said it was amazing!!! he has inspired me even more to train for the half marathon in march that my town holds. anyone in the massachusetts area want to run????
anyway... i am sure i will have a "funky" winter, since it really isn't winter yet and i am already having trouble.
for now i am making a plan to go back to school if my dh gets this job at the local college, i am learning to play "how to save a life" by the frey on my guitar, i am running and i am going to test for my black belt.
keep up encourageing everyone. it is good.
peace
michele
#247 of 932 Old 11-08-2006, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Yikes 2bb's - we had the same thing happen a couple of years ago. Our elderly next door neighbour got confused when he was supposed to be backing out of the garage and blasted trhough the wall and into our back yard instead, right into the sandbox. Thank goodness my kids weren't out there at the time - they had just come in. I am so glad none of you got hurt.
#248 of 932 Old 11-08-2006, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

: : :
: : : : : :

So this morning I was looking at the map of last night elections and dd said to me,
"Mommy, is that a flood? "

Yeah Baby! It sure is!!!

So I don't think I'll get any running in today but Friday it is NON-NEGOTIABLE!

Lisa - I hope you feel better fast! I'm anti anti-biotics in almost all situations except strep! That sucks.

2bbs and Shanti - Oh my goodness! That is so scary! I am glad that nobody was hurt in either case but I can feel the adrenaline from here!

About the calls, I read only after I'd been calling (thank goodness) that people up north there were getting thousands and thousands of automated calls! No wonder people kept saying they were happy to hear a real person! I had no idea it was so insane there! I felt bad for contributing to the ringing phones after that, but at least it's all over now.

Cheers mamas,

Penelope

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#249 of 932 Old 11-08-2006, 12:53 PM

Lisa Ouch!!! Dh needs a kick in the pants!!! That rx might not be the right one for your infection if it isn't kicking it. Did they say for sure that it wasn't a virus? I had a throat virus once that was so bad!!! The person I saw about it told me to drink children's motrin. I wan't a big pill or rx taker at the time, so it seemed weird, but I did it and it helped. ETA: It has an anelgesic in it that will take away some of the pain in your throat. Drink it slowly and only half a bottle for each dose.

Wisconsin.

Michele, I loved your post. Hard times. But your attitude is right on! I'm going to follow in your footsteps. I keep busy and get my own needs met for the same reasons you mentioned. It's so important! How long have you been playing the guitar?

I missed my run yesterday. Naomi was sick and needy and she isn't needy very often. Turns out she entered womanhood yesterday. I'm going to go buy her some special jewelry today to mark this passing quietly because if I made a big deal out of it she would hate me.

No run today either. But, tomorrow I'll get in a 40 min. run. Man, if I don't run every couple days it is so hard to jump back in!! My mood goes South and then it's even harder. I really think that running is the key to my mental health! That and meeting my needs for creative expression and down time. I've been forgetting the down time lately, too. But I just picked up a book that a friend recommended months ago. We tend to like the same kind of stuff, so I'm excited to read it.
#250 of 932 Old 11-08-2006, 02:10 PM

Jo, I am sad too and ashamed this AM at the majority of voters in our state : We obviously have some work yet to do here.....

Wah wah wah, ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

#251 of 932 Old 11-08-2006, 03:44 PM

runningmommy: Dh and I had strep right before christmas (as in he didn't even go christmas shopping bc he was so sick). I officially did not have strep (but had the same symptoms as him the week before). Anyhow -- dh had strep quite a bit as a kid and the best way for him to feel better: shot of antibiotics in the rear. Yep same thing as an adult. Perhaps something to discuss with your doc? Hope you feel better soon.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#252 of 932 Old 11-08-2006, 03:47 PM

Well, I did a crappy two miles today.

Good and bad things happened in our state yesterday, fortunately Tabor(taxpayer's bill of rights, caused kids in colorado to attend school with coats on because heat wasn't in the budget anymore) didn't pass, but on a local level some not so great politicians got reelected.

I feel totally exhausted and upset. So, yesterday, on the way to a Dr's appt, my wallet fell out of my car when I traded cars and handed kids over to dh. Someone found the wallet and turned it into the store, And the store didn't keep it instead, they directed the person that brought it in to bring it next door to the town office, thinking that someone had dropped it while voting. It never showed up at the town office, and now I have to freaking cancel all my checks and cards, etc. How hard is it to take a wallet and just stick it under the counter?!?!?!?!: : What kind of person gives a returned wallet with money in it back? I don't even care about the money, just all the other stuff......: : :
#253 of 932 Old 11-08-2006, 03:56 PM

sorry WI mamas. I remember feeling sick to my stomach when GA did the same thing in 2004. I went to a rally and everything, and it was so sad to see peoples' rights taken away.

Here's to some pendulum swinging though......

my ds apparently now has the same bug we've all had, a week late. HBM...I'm SO glad you guys came over but now I feel horrible bc I don't want you guys to get sick...that's all you need. anyway hoping it stays away! And something told me to rest again today and not run.

oh and my big "news" AF is back! After not seeing her since December 2004...she's back in town! I'm actually glad to see things are getting back to normal. I'm ready to not feel post-partum anymore, KWIM? so diva cup here I come.

shantimama--congrats on your niece! What a blessed baby to have you in her life. did you make a quilt?

would like to catch up more but must go do laundry etc, we are going back to Charleston tomorrow, if ds isn't too sick. take care mamas.
#254 of 932 Old 11-08-2006, 04:22 PM

Just to add one thing to the voting discussion, I am a newcomer to AZ, and haven't really fallen in love with the place yet, but I was actually kinda happy with the most of the votes on propositions here yesterday. It looks like the same sex marriage ban/no domestic partners benefit proposition is going down, which would be one the first in the states to do so, and the raising minimum wage proposition passed

On the other side, you've got to wonder... a proposition here making English the official language passed, but so did one that forbids state agencies from providing in state tuition, literacy programs, etc... to illegal immigrants... huh? How is that supposed to work out?

okay, getting off soapbox now...

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#255 of 932 Old 11-08-2006, 06:23 PM

thanks mamabeth I am on the countdown until I get to meet this new little one. I am her godmother so I will get to go to her baptism too. It is an amazing feeling to love someone so much that you haven't even met yet. I have picked out one of my quilts taht hasn't sold yet for her - my favourite.

I am another one who doesn't use antibiotics much except for strep. I tried to treat it naturally once and nearly died - very scary. Since then when I get it it hits me hard and fast - forunately I haven't had it in a few years. Hopefully never again - the pain is something awful.

I have had a block about sewing all week, I don't know what the deal is. I have been knitting. I think these dark days are affecting my spirit a bit, not depressed, but feeling preetty inward. I need to get two quilts finished before we go to Chicago. I still haven't set up a workspace - maybe that will be tomorrow's project. I just feel like hibernating, to be honest.
#256 of 932 Old 11-08-2006, 08:41 PM

Sometimes it sucks being married to someone with ethics. DH is about to turn down a job offer that's permanent, more money, working with interesting people on interesting engineering, and keeps him at the site where he can bike to work. Too bad it can be used to develop chemical weapons. :

Gonna run on the 'mill tonight. Right now I should be writing my proposal while DD is in the tub.
#257 of 932 Old 11-08-2006, 09:48 PM

No running or wood stacking today, but I just got back from a 5km walk. Maybe it's the time of year - I seriously feel like going into hibernation. Eat, eat , eat, and then crawl under the covers and sleep until the light starts coming back. My kids have always loved the "Little Bear" cartoons and often call me Mother Bear. Maybe I have been transfigured or something.
#258 of 932 Old 11-08-2006, 10:29 PM

i have been staying up late, watching news channels, hitting refresh in the politics forum and not much else! i'm feeling good today about everything except tennessee's poor choice in senators and constitutional amendment for marriage . *sigh*

ah well, things are looking up elsewhere

be back when i have more to post. must....sleep...now.

2bb's - wow so glad it was not worse

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#259 of 932 Old 11-08-2006, 10:55 PM

I've gotten 2 runs in this week so far. 2.5 miles Tuesday and 3 miles today. Planning on running again Friday and then Sunday

I'm now officially 1/2 way to my goal weight. Though I secretly hope to pass even my goal weight when it gets down to it lol
#260 of 932 Old 11-08-2006, 11:23 PM

4 and change on the TM including some 1/2 mile intervals. Intervals on the TM are BORING. But, that was the first time I had tried to hit anything other than an easy pace in a month, I could feel it blowing the dust off...

RM, wish I lived closer so I could come give you a hand!

DrJen! I really hope you do the Indy Mini w/ RM and me.

Hi to everyone else. I think we are finally settling into a routine, so I should be able to squeeze a little MDC time in soon. I just didn't want to go weeks completely w/o posting.
#261 of 932 Old 11-08-2006, 11:37 PM

Ran 5.5 miles this morning. Feeling a little sore from well running I guess Racing always throws me off balance more than I think. There are plenty of folks who do it every weekend around here. I can not imagine. Tomorrow probably just swimming in the morning.

Oh pics of the wrecked up yard in my blog....
#262 of 932 Old 11-08-2006, 11:42 PM

:
#263 of 932 Old 11-09-2006, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2babybees View Post
Oh pics of the wrecked up yard in my blog....
Holy F*ckamole! :
I'm glad your family is safe.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#264 of 932 Old 11-09-2006, 12:22 AM

2bbs - I worry sometimes because I have quite a few elderly neighbors. Today, I followed home the couple that lives 2 doors down and they had a heck of a time just turning into the driveway - one set of wheels was 2 feet off the side edge of the driveway.

RM - Alrighty then. In a fit of enthusiasm after a wonderful outdoor run today, I signed up for the Indy Mini. I am totally counting on you for virtual kicks in the pants over the next 6 mos. Seriously. You have to help me! Well, okay, you can get better from the strep, first. (Speaking of which, there is a higher level of resistance to Zithromax than several other antibiotics. If you are not penicillin allergic that is first choice, and if you are, but not life threatening, then a cephalosporin.) Now I need a training plan. I don't think I can manage a more aggressive one - maybe the RW one, or Hal Higdon?

I did have a nice run today. It was 65F and sunny, with that sort of soft, bright light you get only on warm days in fall. I parked at Justin's school and ran from there to home and back (sometimes parking somewhere and running from there is more motivating somehow.) Caroline was beyond thrilled, having not been in the jogger in over 6 weeks. I am out of shape. Only running 10 times in 2 mos will apparently do that to you. I ran at a reasonable pace (31:09 for 3.1 miles) but it just felt a lot harder than that. I figure I'll give myself a couple weeks of easier running to ease back in, than go back to training.

I spent most of the day in my jammies with my baby girl and it was so nice! I have no pregnant clients due for just over 4 more weeks - and my next one due had her first baby at 41 + weeks, so I don't think she'll be early. It is so nice to go to bed at night and pretty much count on sleeping until morning. (for those of you with little ones still waking - it will end eventually!)
#265 of 932 Old 11-09-2006, 12:49 AM

Holy F*ckamole is right, 2bbs! I am so, so glad that you all are OK. Wow, just wow. Good luck dealing with all the associated headache of getting it straightened out. As if you needed one more thing to do...

Woo, we have a crowd of Indy Mini runners! Actually, I think we have an equal-sized crowd of Atlanta Half-Marathon runners (right, 2bbs?). I signed up today. Now I really have to do a long run this weekend...

Janessa, congrats on being at the halfway point for your goal weight!

Poppy, I am bummed about the marriage amendment too. I guess I take some small pride that at least the margin here was closer than in TN or SC.

Shanti, congrats on your niece. Any word on a name yet?

SB3, welcome!

missbliss, I can't believe that the store didn't keep your wallet. It was in their parking lot, right?

hms I am sorry about the bad news you received, but I am impressed that you are choosing happiness. Good for you. Hang in there... and stick around this board. We'll help you get through the winter.

I ran 5 miles on the TM tonight after work (this kind of day: and it was good. It was so weird, I felt like my lungs weren't even having to work. It seemed so effortless. DD is coughing a pretty wet cough and so I think I am going to take some Airborne and get myself to bed... she and DH are both asleep and the house is so quiet... so nice... but I should go to bed.

Hello to everybody I missed!

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#266 of 932 Old 11-09-2006, 01:14 AM

I have a name, thanks to 1jooj!!!!
Soul Reflection
It perfectly describes what I try and do with my portraits.
Now if I had money do get a website designed....... oh well. I need to figure out a logo and get business cards/fliers or brochures printed. And I'm having a custom blog designed for the business...because it's cheap and I can't afford a site design
and I got another family portrait job today from someone I don't know. She works where I do and saw the work i did for my boss last week
#267 of 932 Old 11-09-2006, 02:00 AM

creb, you could always try to barter a designed web page. A shoot for a site? Or whatever works out financially. I am a big fan of bartering.
#268 of 932 Old 11-09-2006, 09:13 AM

I agree about the bartering thing. But in the meantime you could probably set something up really simple on your own. Doing it on a blog page could help you. I love the name! And with something like that I think really classy black and white shots. You're on your way!!
#269 of 932 Old 11-09-2006, 10:17 AM

I got in a nice 6 mile run yesterday-it felt really good.

I am sad about the marriage amendment as well. It was actually opposed where we are-but then you have to add in the rest of the state-which usually votes quite differently from us-and is much larger than us. That has always been an issue here-I wonder how many other states are like ours in that manner?

2BBs-wow! I am so glad that your family is okay.

Creb-I love the name as well!

No run for me today-K has to go in to the dr today I have been putting off calling them-she has had a low grade fever for 8 days now-with no symptoms of anykind. She is acting fine. But since she has kidney reflux-I think they want to check for a UTI-which I doubt that it is since her temp has not been high at all. I called yesterday and they want to see her. I hope they don't want to take a urine sample I just wonder what it is?
#270 of 932 Old 11-09-2006, 10:36 AM

no running here yesterday. i went to meet a client, (i am a doula) but she cancelled on me. she wasn't feeling well. she had had a flu shot. so i took myself out for a light dinner and went to work.
now i need to set up babysitters for next wednesday b/c i need to go to court with me dad. i hope at that point i will have a little bit of a clue about how much rent i am going to have to pay and if i am going to have to move or not. i'm not against moving but with 4 kids and a dh who will be of little help in that department, the task is overwhelming.
i will go to karate tonight and i will do 15 minutes on the elipitical machine. tomorrow the kids dont' have school, so i will do an outside run b/c my older dd will be home. if she doesn't clean her room i might lose her in there. yikes!!!
anyone here homeschool there kids??? i have a 7 year old boy who is doing about 3rd grade math but can't really read yet. well he can read a little bit but not enough to get through the 2nd grade. he will read someday, right????
thanks for all the motivation and stuff. winter is so hard for me. uggghhhh. and starting out the winter not happy really doesn't help very much. i know running and exercising will really help, but staying motivated is tough. so thanks. i am setting out to do a half marathon in march. and i think i am going to do a 10k at the end of this month.
thanks
peace
michele

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page