Turkey Trottin' Running Mamas November Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 932 Old 11-01-2006, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow! Could it be that this thread hasn't been started? Well then here it is!

Welcome runners and wanna be runners of all abilities! This thread sometimes moves faster than we do but come and run with the dingos!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#2 of 932 Old 11-01-2006, 11:15 AM

subbing...

Happy November!!!

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#3 of 932 Old 11-01-2006, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Man, I cannot believe I found the thread dangling in last month! There must be some mistake!
Anyway, this past week was very very busy. It seemed like we had a party going on every other day (another one tonight in fact). MIL seems to be doing okay, dh is on his way up tomorrow via air, it seemed like too much trouble for him to drive up with the truck as he can always rent a u-haul if a move is imminent.
I finally got back to the gym yesterday for upper body and some time on the TM. I do not know how you mamas can do long TM runs though. Maybe there just wasn't enough air in there or something but I ran 1.5 and then had to walk. I felt like a complete loser, I was panting like a dog and sweating like a I don't know what, pigs don't really sweat right? Anyway it was gross.
But, the weights went well. I forget who mentioned listening to the podcast of This American Life but I downloaded this week's show and chuckled all the way through my workout. The story about hitch-hiking on Martha's Vineyard really had me nostalgic because I did a lot of that there as a teenager.

Last night we took dd out to this California-style neighborhood which is the hot spot for trick-or-treating and she did remarkably well. I told her that she has the best of both worlds since today and tomorrow she gets to have Day of the Dead too! Lucky monkey!

Today is the Dia de los Angelitos, the day when babies and children who have died are supposed to come back and visit with their families. We've got a pretty nice altar set up, I'll try to post a picture later. I just hope ai can get a little quiet time to meditate on Wendy's presence today at some point.

Okay, time to run!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#4 of 932 Old 11-01-2006, 11:41 AM

I've been meaning to ask for some time now: mandy how's your brother?

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#5 of 932 Old 11-01-2006, 11:43 AM

ok, i have made the commitment to run again! i will sub to this, and feel free to hold me accountable! i will get back into my running regime!!!!! you go ladies!
#6 of 932 Old 11-01-2006, 11:47 AM

Tiffany-I'm just about to start back after having a baby. We ca do it together!

Plady-I hope you can make some quiet time to reflect on Wendy today.
I'm glad your MIL seems to be doing well.

#7 of 932 Old 11-01-2006, 11:51 AM

subbing....

returning to human feeling although the kids seem to be in the throws of the wretched cold now(the sound of barking seals woke me this morning). 4 entire days without a voice. I did learn I have been yelling too much. dd has picked up the habit. Working on that now. Sometimes you need a little reminder like not being able to talk for four days.

Actually got my butt up and ran 4.3 miles on the treadmill this morning. I am running a 10 mile race on Saturday. Was hoping for a pr over last year but will depend whether I have fully recooped by then. Hoping the timing is just right. I need to be enthused again.

Will be keeping up...
#8 of 932 Old 11-01-2006, 12:12 PM

subbing, I must run tonight. Missed yesterday cause I forgot it was trick or treat night or I would have gone Monday. Still want to squeeze in 4 runs this week.
#9 of 932 Old 11-01-2006, 12:14 PM

hey 2bbs...so glad you're feeling better. I am a yeller too and constantly working on the habit. some days are better than others.

2BabyBees and EKsMom--deadline for registration for the half is November 8, before the price doubles, mamas!

You may notice that I am not running at this moment as planned...J fell asleep in the car before we got to the trail and it's hit or miss with transfers...plus my stomach decided to rebel from the non-MDC approved stuff I ate yesterday. Blech. : I'm reformed, I promise.

Kids and me in my "costume." I told dd if she was the princess, I was the queen...and as she was going to bed she said, "mommy, you are the bestest queen I've EVER seen."

take care y'all.
#10 of 932 Old 11-01-2006, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Subbing. Will Run Tonight.
#11 of 932 Old 11-01-2006, 12:35 PM

subbing, what was everyone's total miles goal in October and how did you do with that goal?

How are you ranking for your yearly goal?

This isn't a competition, just checking in with everyone's goals and how you are doing and offering support!

I hit my monthly goal for October in getting back on track with marathon training. I wanted at least 100 miles a month for a yearly goal of 1200 miles. October was 172.5 miles and yearly to date is at 1,157.33 miles.

I have 42.67 miles to run for the rest of the year to make my yearly goal and that was missing three weeks with injury.

ran 5 slow and easy this morning.

Lisa
#12 of 932 Old 11-01-2006, 12:51 PM

:
#13 of 932 Old 11-01-2006, 01:08 PM

Wow, our list is getting short. If you have something to add, just let me know. PM-ing is probably the best way to assure that I see it, but posting is OK too.

2babybees - TRRC Turkey Trot 10K - November 18
eksmom - 5K - November 18
mamabeth, 2babybees, eksmom - Atlanta Half Marathon - November 23
Geofizz - Turkey Trot 5K - November 23
Balancin1 - 8K - November 24
2babybees - Jingle Bell 5K - December 2

The Preggo Dingo List

ND - December 5 -
BBM - December 30 -
sally_Z

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#14 of 932 Old 11-01-2006, 01:19 PM

: 2 presentations, finished and given. Halloween, done and enjoyed. Pictures forthcoming. Of Halloween, not the presentations.

: To-do list grew exponentially while I was in presentation-land, the DH situation is at a low point, and I am exhausted.

I was going to run at lunch, but I am so tired, I am this close to just leaving and going home and trying to unwind a little bit this afternoon. Maybe I would run later. I'm already planning on going skating at the track tonight. Hmmm...

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#15 of 932 Old 11-01-2006, 01:55 PM

Eksmom, can you add my Turkey Trot?
5 miler

Like Janessa, the race is picked based on start time. Also picked because I won't have to get in a car to get there.
#16 of 932 Old 11-01-2006, 02:02 PM

I'm new and subbing. Really need motivation, b/c I took 5 months off!!! But I want to get back into it and need help--a ton of encouragement comes just from seeing all the other committed mamas. Goals: Lose weight, feel great, stay committed. Lofty goals and I've had them for a long time, but I need to make this work. All advice will be well received. Cheers!
#17 of 932 Old 11-01-2006, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
ND - December 5 -
BBM - December 30 -
Wow! Getting close!

BBM, wanna come over this weekend? Still want the cosleeper? I've got lots of boy clothes saved up. Just lemme know when's good.
#18 of 932 Old 11-01-2006, 02:12 PM

I'm new and subbing too... I lurked last month and have been very motivated by yall!! Getting back into running after a while, training for the Phoenix half in January!

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#19 of 932 Old 11-01-2006, 02:57 PM

hello all - i'm breaking my 'no mdc at work' rule but i need a little brain rest.

ran 40 minutes on the trails yesterday. my lungs are really raspy from all the sicknesses which made hills extrememly difficult - but i enjoyed it nonetheless. today i need to go get my ID card for the gym that i joined for the winter. it's a great facility and i really want to get a speedo and swim goggles so that i can start swimming laps - but that can't happen until we get some more money. my dh seems to be having a really hard time getting anything done - whether it's getting a job or pulling together the business numbers - nothing is happening and he's got excuses out the ying-yang for why not. He also has seemingly completely and utterly given up on 'cross training'. It's been several months and I've been trying to get him interested the past couple of nights and nothing. nada. zip. whatever. maybe it's time for me to take a lover - not sure where i would ever fit that into the life equation though.

Kerc - my brother is hanging in there. he had a relevation about his business about a month ago (nothing that my dad and I hadn't been telling him for year) but he's trying some new things that were going well, so his health was improving. but again, lack of follow through and things are up in the air and he needs to find a new place to live and so his health is in the toilet. How is your sister doing?

Eksmom - i think Kate and I are doing the Ugly Mudder 7 miler on February 25th. Sorry your DH situation is extra crappy right now.

back to business...
Plady - I'd love to see a pic of your alter. I hope you get some time to meditate and visit with Wendy today.
#20 of 932 Old 11-01-2006, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Subbing. Will Run Tonight.
I second that!

Syrinx, Soulmate to Pan, Mama to Zion (5), River (3), Silver (1) and expecting a baby Storm...
#21 of 932 Old 11-01-2006, 04:15 PM

Hello Runners-Happy November

No run for me today-although I am hoping to get out this afternoon after K wakes up from her nap. She was a ladybug last night-very cute. Had a great time despite a scare from a couple of grim reapers who came to the door One with a peanut allergy (Not laughing at the allergy-just a grim reaper with an allergy...) And sadly-us peanut addicts had NO candy without peanuts in it-poor guy.

RM-I had a slow month-only 57.5 miles-will get more in this month!!

plady- hope you get some time to yourself today to meditate!
#22 of 932 Old 11-01-2006, 04:21 PM

pumpkin, how did those miles go toward your October goal? Are you saying slow because it was lower than the goal you set for yourself? the mileage itself sounds great, just wondering how you did on your goals.

plady~
#23 of 932 Old 11-01-2006, 04:26 PM

RM-yea-typically I run about 25-30 miles a week-October I only managed about 15 on average I think with the Philly half in September-I wasn't motivated-I was really busy and usually make time for my running-but was using a lot of excuses not to run last month and therefore-the low mileage!
#24 of 932 Old 11-01-2006, 04:29 PM

which is why I need to pick out a race-I (and most others!) do better about reaching goals when I have a race to shoot for. I will hopefully do a 10K on Thanksgiving Day-dh is already signed up-I need to make sure I have someone to watch K that morning, so I can run as well. I just got an email from my friend that she is working that race-so I am going to see if her son (14 yo who adores K) can come to the race and watch her while we are running...
#25 of 932 Old 11-01-2006, 04:39 PM

subbing, wish I had a fun run to train for, just heading on the treadmill for fun now and then.

The halloween costumes were adorable, my youngest loves the elmo costume, she saw it from the back in the afternoon of halloween and wanted to be a tomato all of a sudden
#26 of 932 Old 11-01-2006, 04:39 PM

subbing.

glad to see the new thread. there's no way i can catch up on the old one.

good news - i'm ready to run again and am making plans with my mamas in the hood.

sad news - it's dia de los muertos- i'm supposed to be happy, i think, but the momma in me can't stop crying over the losses of loved ones this year.

plady, i want to see pictures of the altar, too.

halloween pictures are up under "dia de los muertos" in my blog.

everyone's pictures are so wonderful.

2bbs, been writing lately and thinking about posting but it requires such bravery.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#27 of 932 Old 11-01-2006, 05:00 PM

I ran a total of 5.25 miles in October. Obviously this didn't meet my goal. I'm kinda feeling like an intruder on the thread at this point. As for yearly goals, I set a pretty low / attainable goal, and despite the injury I've already passed it. I've run 606.75 miles so far, and had a goal of 600 for the year. I just keep thinking of all those years in the past that I ran over 1000 miles for the year. I guess I have to let that go and just be at peace with where I'm at.

I'd really like to do another marathon next year. Preferably without the diarrhea and occular migraine at mile 10.

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#28 of 932 Old 11-01-2006, 05:57 PM

Hi Everyone! Welcome to all the new mamas!

s Plady

I did a broken two-ish miles today. Nora is just freaking out these days at being left with anyone other than dh(or me of course). And so I think I will probably be doing mostly stroller runs from now on...Does anyone have any ideas on helping not yet year old babies feel better about time with others? These are not strangers we are talking about, but she just flips out if it is anyone other than mama or papa. Oh, and she refuses to eat or drink if anyone other than mama offers. Even papa can't induce her to eat. And I'm taking classes at night, plus need to be out of the house to write papers/study, so we really need to find a solution that works for everyone....speaking of which, I need to go so I'm not late for class.....

Abby
#29 of 932 Old 11-01-2006, 06:15 PM

Abby, I have a Nora too!! Our DD is opposite though - she freaks if DH leaves the room, puts his attention on something else, or sets her down for one second, but doesn't even notice if I walk out of the room Good luck!

Speaking of, DH is still "recovering" from running the Indianopolis marathon 2 weekends ago, but we're going to start running together again, and I'm excited to have an activity to do together (I must admit I was a little jealous of his training time before).

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#30 of 932 Old 11-01-2006, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicocj View Post
(I must admit I was a little jealous of his training time before).

I SO understand this. I can't wait to be out there with my dh, too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page