Mothering Forum banner

Online Weight Loss Programs, Anyone?

498 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  kwillmorth 
#1 ·
Hi,

I was online tonight trying to look up nutritional information for a restaurant when I came across the "Calorie King" website. Kind of like WW, but online and waaaaay cheaper. It looks interesting and I'm considering joining - has anyone here had any experience with online weight loss programs?

I went ahead and downloaded a free trial of their calorie diary software for my PDA and will give that a try for a couple of weeks. But, the online program is only $7.50/month or something like $45/year. I think I could swing that if it would help keep me accountable. I eat good, whole foods for the most part (very rarely eat out - too expensive!), I think, well, I know, I just eat too much of them. =) I'm hoping that a program where I can simply count calories and view nutritional information for the foods I normally eat will help. I know I would not do well at all with someone telling me what to eat. Suddenly all I think about is food.

I hope someone can give me some feedback. Thanks!

Krista

#2 ·
Try www.sparkpeople.com or www.fitday.com

Both are free programs that you can customize. Both will help you set goals, and have free discussion boards. If you're justing looking for a tool to help you count calories and view nutritional info, spark people can do that for free

#4 ·
Thanks guys, I will check out those links!

I already had a problem with CK this morning just trying to enter in breakfast: 1c of whole plain yogurt with rice syrup, 1 piece multi-grain toast with 1t of V. coconut oil and 1 T of jam, and a mug of green tea. Calorie King was great with a bajillion name brands of yogurt and breads, but no just plain-old, enter-your-own info kind of option. I do think it would be great for someone who eats out a lot or buys a lot of convenience foods - but I make a great deal of what we eat so I need something I can customize.

Maybe their desktop software is better, but the palm software is so far not so great for me.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Krista

#5 ·
Hi again,

I took a look at sparkpeople and it looks just great! The problem is (I guess) that I am still breastfeeding my 15 month old. Sparkpeople won't let you join if you are pregnant or breastfeeding - instead they direct you to a partner site, babyfit.com. I do think that is admirable, as pregnancy and BF have such unique nutritional issues, but babyfit so far doesn't look nearly as substantial. There is a section for pre- and post- pregnancy, but for the most part is seems geared toward pregnancy nutrition and fitness. I'm done with that I think. =)

I could just say "no, I'm not breastfeeding" and join sparkpeople anyway, but I do have questions about weight loss while BFing. I don't want to compromise my babies nutrition by reducing calories too much, but at the same time, I really need to lose some more weight.

FYI, I was healthy and never had a problem with weight until I was about 26 (6 years ago) and had a bout with depression. I went on Prozac for about 6 weeks and hated it, but that seemed to trigger a rapid weight gain and I went from my lowest adult weight of about 127 (I'm 5'3") to probably about 170 in a year and a half. That is A LOT of weight. I didn't even realize it was going on so rapidly until I saw some pictures of myself at 28 and compared them to myself at 26. It was astonishing. I got on a health kick after getting married and wanting to conceive. I stopped all kinds of medication (including birth control) and lo and behold, the depression went away and I began feeling good, but the weight never came off. I think I was 175 when I became pregnant with my first child, and within 2 months post-pregnancy I was back down to 160. Currently, at 15 months post-second-pregnancy I am at 168. I was losing steadily and slowly for a while, but I've been between 164 and 169 for probably 3 months now.

Anyway, that is probably more than y'all need to know, I guess I just needed to get it out there. If you have any experience with the babyfit site, I'd love to hear that too.

Thanks!
Krista

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.