Last Month of 200s*x Running Mamas! - Page 28 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-30-2006, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You know drjen you are right. Part of what made me so angry about my father's comments were that it planted a seed of doubt. Baby E has definitely preferred my arms to anyone elses. Duh! Of course he would. But you know what...right now? He is passed out in dh's arms. He is slowly but surely adjusting to others. But we aren't pushing it and if he starts crying in dh's arms we give him a minute (probably not even that!) and if he doesn't settle down I take him back. He definitely won't sleep out of arms, but ya know...he's not going to be 20 and sleeping in my arms. I have been out of sorts all day today detoxing from their visit. It was a robust reminder of the need to protect my boundaries. I just forgot in the moment. I'm sorry your mom is just not getting the how and when to pick battles issue.

No kidding Geo! Where the $%^^ is my snow!!

So I walked a little today. Big mistake. I just walked to our nature preserve (probably about 3/4 of a mile away) and dh and dd went on. I had to turn around and head home. I was so exhausted! I have lost 24 of the 40 pounds I've gained so far. It's still water, blood volume and all of that. But I had a bit of a smack in the face when I tried on this new coat that I got with Christmas money. I ordered it and even made sure that I would fit based on my current measurements. It's really too small So I'll have to return it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2006, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post
Also, I have worked hard in the 5 years I've been at my little hospital to stamp out the L&D nurses telling parents that their second-day-of-life newborns are irritable because "you held him all day yesterday." They are irritable because the shock of birth has worn off and they are realizing that they are out in this cold, bright, multiple stimuli world, and the only thing that makes them feel safe is to be held by the only person they know in the world. Making those kind of comments leads impressionable new parents to think they somehow are causing a problem by holding their new babies.
Jen, I know I'm not one of your patients, but I truly thank God you are a doctor. You are doing SO much good around you.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
Old 12-30-2006, 10:28 PM

Haven't had time to post, but I am trying to check back in. I am on week 5 of my couch potato plan. I decided to go slow this return to running. I hope to not stop. Reading back a bit to get to know ya. I was on the group a LONG time ago. I recognize a few of you.

PM
Old 12-30-2006, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post
Also, I have worked hard in the 5 years I've been at my little hospital to stamp out the L&D nurses telling parents that their second-day-of-life newborns are irritable because "you held him all day yesterday." They are irritable because the shock of birth has worn off and they are realizing that they are out in this cold, bright, multiple stimuli world, and the only thing that makes them feel safe is to be held by the only person they know in the world.
My SIL is an OB nurse. She says that the nurses in their hospital have a term for it: The Second Night Fussies. It's interesting to hear your explanation for it.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:25 PM

Y'all, this is me: : : EK is screaming at the top of her lungs. We've had several potty accidents today. I put her back in a diaper and that set off a huge screaming fit. I told her she had three options: wear panties and use the potty, wear pull-ups and go in those, or wear diapers and go in those. Her response? "Nothing." I guess she wants all elimination to cease. We haven't told her that it is related to eating because I think she might go on a hunger strike. I sent DH out for some liquid/syrup stool softener, and Walgreens didn't have any. Any suggestions there? She did poop this AM and I felt of it (through a plastic bag) - it was firm but not hard as far as I could tell. She admits that it doesn't hurt when she does it, but then she keeps up the refusing to go routine and now that seems to have spread to urinating as well.

I will be making a dr. appointment for her first thing Tuesday AM. I have been worried throughout all of this that she might have a UTI and I think at this point we need to rule out anything physical. Other than that, I have absolutely no idea what to do.

In other news, we did a lot of decluttering today and DH took a carload of stuff to Goodwill. I am glad to have that stuff out of the house. I'm not through with my organizing kick yet, but I'm not sure what I'll work on next.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

Old 12-31-2006, 01:09 AM

eksmom - this pattern you are seeing is a thing I see very commonly in girls in the 3-5 age group. Basically, they have one painful BM experience, which puts them on alert. Then, they start withholding under a fear that it will hurt again. When they finally do go again, it is either painful, or at least not as easy as it used to be, and the fear is reinforced. Soon, they are withholding unconsciously, and are having more discomfort all the time. Having a full colon also makes you prone to urinary retention, which makes wetting accidents and UTIs more likely. Having an overfull bladder makes urinating less pleasant, too, and before you know it, they are unconsciously withholding there, too. I often see relief of this whole pattern by putting the child on a daily stool softener with the goal to see at least one or more soft stools a day (two or more is better) and doing whatever potty behavior makes the child most comfortable (diapers, pull ups, potty, whatever.) Once they are going again regularly - no matter how they are going - you do nothing for a couple of weeks, and then you can slowly transition first back to the potty if that is an issue, and then wean off the stool softener. You can use an over the counter type thing like mineral oil if the child will tolerate it, or even prune juice if it is effective enough, but if prescription is needed, I like Miralax, or lactulose for kids. Miralax is a powder, but can be mixed with just about any liquid, and lactulose is a liquid, but is fairly sweet and can be mixed with another sweet liquid if needed, like apple juice. It will get better - and is probably not truly behavioral, so you probably will not get to far trying to analyze it and change behavior alone.

Oh, wise running women, I have 2 non-running related questions that I know someone around here will have an idea for.

1. I want to make little dd a fabric hideaway type thing for her birthday like this: http://www.hearthsong.com/hearthsong...N|2283|2283-P1
Any ideas? I thought a big metal ring, or maybe even a hula hoop? And then using 7-8 foot lengths of a sheer fabric joined long wise, with a casing at the top to slide the ring through - although obviously, then, a ring that opens would be easiest? Any ideas on what to use for the top section?

2. For the geologists: Older dd is just finishing up her science project this year (she grew plants under different colored lights, and we ate most of her project - lettuce - for supper tonight.) We are thinking already about her project for next year. She got a rock tumbler and several books about rocks for Christmas, and is enjoying learning about their different properties. Can anyone think of a rock project for a junior high science fair for next year?
Old 12-31-2006, 03:25 AM

DrJen, thank you SO MUCH! I think we will go out and get some mineral oil first thing in the AM. I haven't done any research; is it pretty safe? And do we just mix it into juice or something? I have been pushing straight juice lately in hopes that it will loosen things up and in an attempt to get more fluids in her, period - so I could hide it in juice, maybe. Thanks again. You rock. And I second what HBM said earlier (and not because you gave me advice - but for what you are doing in your practice). :

Old 12-31-2006, 11:02 AM

hey all just checking in from hot hot Africa, going to have a fondu and videos tonight with my business partner, should be fun

Cheryl - great on the doula recommendation, sounds like a great way to get back into it. I know quite a few doulas round here who have stopped worked with anyone but midwives as they feel much like you described in the hospital setting. It is sad as i guess those are the women that need protecting the most.

BBM- i am just gobsmacked that anyone would say that! listen to your heart you know what is best for your sweet boy.

Pof6 great to see you here again. so at least there is one other mama pregnant here too. I have been so bad with running though since being pregnant, the nausea heat and headaches have not been helping. I have walked a few times but with dd and that can take forever every leaf and blade of grass has to be inspected.

Eksmom- hope you manage to sort out dd problem, shame sounds stressful for you both

Dr Jen- sorry it was such a rough visit for you all, especially your dd. My Gran is staying with us now and i can so see where some of my moms issues come from. Given that she tried hard to make sure we had a better childhood and i suppose we each do that, try to make what we did not like better for our kids
Old 12-31-2006, 11:23 AM

sally~ Congrats on your pregnancy! I read about your UC planning on another board. I'm basicly having a UC with a midwife in the other room. I've done it this way the last 2 births, and I have a great midwife who is very accomidating. I never even see her until well after the baby is born.

I'm planning to start my daily workouts tomorrow. I have been leary of working out because I've been taking progesterone. I just wanted to take it easy the 1st trimester. I'm starting to feel more comfortable and confident with the pregnancy now which helps a lot.

eksmom~ I hope your dd finds peace with her poop. Poor thing. I wish I had some advice, but I have been luck to have easy potty trainers in my house....none of my kids are anal retentive. Sometimes I wish they were....oh the sounds I am treated to daily They have no shame.

It sounds like you are on the right track though. I think you got some great advice.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:30 PM

drjen- we have something like that in my dd's room and the ring is made of a pliable rubber tubing,. like you can find in the plumber's aisle at home depot. the fabric then just has inside snap tabs in 4 places around the tubing instead of a casing, but i think a casing would look nicer. see if you can find a joiner at home depot for the tubing which won't increase the width too much [you could have the join part be at the same spot as the casing opening juncture ] i hope i am making sense! : if not, just pm me and i'll draw it out or something.

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

Old 12-31-2006, 01:16 PM

drjen - I think I have an easy method. Find a huge embroidery hoop for the ring. You can glue ribbon onto it or paint it, slide the fabric etween the hoops, tighten and voila...I have been meaning to make one myself...

Have to run today. Spent the night up with dd :Puke . Not my favorite way to spend the night hours . She hasn't thrown up this morning, but wants to nurse and nurse and nurse. Hopefully I can break away...

PM
Old 12-31-2006, 02:03 PM

DrJen - that's exactly what I made dd for X-mas. The materials I used were a quilting hoop and about 6 lengths of fabric each about 3-4 yards long. And then I had a 2 yard piece of fabric (heavier material) on the top draping over the quilting hoop and covering the fabric attached to the hoop. I used very thin metal wire on the hoop brought together into a loop at the top. I'll try to take a picture and post it later if I can.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Hey mamas,
I've been reading along but I feel like I haven't *been*here in a long time. We've been having a pleasantly uneventful week since xmas. I'm sorry to see how many of you have been having stressful times with family. After I left my dad's we wrote a few emails back and forth about how it was a bummer that I'd been stressed out by his step family and how it would be nice if we could actually be purely joyful just to be in each other's presence but that life just doesn't seem to be that way for real. But it was good to have the chance to do a post mortem on the visit and see that we both felt the same way.

Dr.Jen - I cannot believe your mom! I try to imagine what I would have thought if my Grandma tried to manhandle me at 11 years old and it is too bizarre, what was she thinking?

So what are you all doing tonight? I feel like after all the anticipation I've had building up to tonight I should be doing something exciting, glamorous, meaningful etc but really I think I'm going to go to bed early and catch up on sleep (last night I thought I was just beginning to get either a bad flu or food poisoning, I had the chills, the runs, waves of nausea. But somehow it petered out and I feel okay today Thank you arsenicum 6c!). There is a party we're invited to and it seems like everyone else in town is dressing up and going out so it's hard to feel okay about having no plans and just being normal.
Well, I just found dh in bed. He says that he's feeling the early flu-type symptoms so maybe I should just focus on hoping that we can all dodge the bullet!

So, this is more non-RR stuff but I'm curious if y'all would think it sounds crazy. I am thinking about going on a 9 day pilgrimage to some shrine in the next state at the end of January. It's not so much that I'm devoted to the particular vision of the virgin that we're supposed to see there but timing is such that it would be the 9 days leading up to the first anniversary of Wendy's death. It just seems like maybe it would be sort of nice solemn way to mark the days with plenty of time for reflection. It's sort of vision-quest-with-a-crowd. There is an article about it here just scroll halfway down the page. I feel like it wold be somehow appropriate and almost especially so since dh would have to take dd with him up to the States. I think 9 days away from dd would be hard but I kind of feel life this would help me remember who I am outside the context of my family.

So, anyway, I welcome your thoughts and I'm curious about your doings for tonight. Sorry about the flagrant lack of personals! :

Happy New Year!!!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 12-31-2006, 06:09 PM

ugh - no racing for me tonight. i spent yesterday throwing up allllllllllllll day, : and am still rather shaky today - having not really eaten since friday night - and i dropped five pounds since saturday am . i had started feeling better last night and thought that maybe i could run tonight if i ran with my sister at her pace (abt 10 minute miles or so). well, this morning, SHE starts throwing up all over : so the kids and i packed up and came back to pa rather than staying in the sick house for another day. bummer.

the good news is, other than the shakiness which i'm sure can be resolved with large quantities of gatorade and actually *eating today, i am going to try to do the new year's fun run with the local running club tomorrow am. not quite the pomp and craziness of central park at midnight, but cozier
Old 12-31-2006, 06:25 PM

Plady, that sounds like a beautiful idea!!!

Kate~mom Miserable!! A fitting end to 200s*x and a fitting beginning to 2007!

I ran 6 miles today on the tm. I went super slow and didn't worry about how long it was taking me. Seems like the way I have to do it on the TM. It was the best run I've had in a while! Marathon training starts on Tuesday. I have a short list of silly, beginner questions for you experienced Marathoners. I'll come back and ask them later when I have more time.

Happy New Years Eve to all of you!!
Old 12-31-2006, 07:00 PM

CherylAnn~looking forward to your questions, as I am sure I need to know as well! glad the TM run went better. I rather enjoy the TM quite a bit.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:08 PM

I'm completely behind, but just wanted to pop in to say:

Happy New Year Dingos!!!

We're flying home tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to getting back in shape after a couple weeks of pigging out!
Old 12-31-2006, 08:45 PM

eeek! mandy, i am in the mood for some retail therapy and your website is not working for me! :

fwiw, it's giving me this error msg

Quote:
Database Error In VeryCart: Link-ID == false, connect failed

MySQL Error: Access denied for user 'nobody'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

MySQL Error Number: 1045

Date: Sunday 31st of December 2006 05:43:06 PM

Script: /~hugadub/index.php/action/category/id/1/

Referer: http://www.hugadubdub.com/
Old 12-31-2006, 08:56 PM

HAPPY NEW YEAR DINGOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

love ya mamas.........
Old 01-01-2007, 01:24 AM

browsing around on runners world - this blog entry made me think of you all

happy new year, mamas!
Old 01-01-2007, 03:16 AM

Woot! New thread! Hello 2007!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all my wonderful running mama friends. I y'all.

User Tag List