Last Month of 200s*x Running Mamas! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 831 Old 12-03-2006, 12:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Katherine- The lying thing. Popped up about the same time with dd. An issue we still deal with. Actually dd understood the concept of true or false from one of her games and we worked under that model for a long time until she developed a more sophisticated vocabulary. It's an issue I'm sure we will be facing for years.

Balancin1- I admit to also being one who wears repeatedly more often that she launders. I have a little a hook in the bathroom to air out the running clothes. Unless I have really sweated bad it's a least one more wearing from everything. And new shoes...Just had my first road run in mine today. Like little pillows for the feet.

cReb- Awesome website. So wish you were closer! I need cool photo shoots instead of the cheesy Sears photos we just had done. Yours are awesome!

Must go to bed. 5-6 miles before church tomorrow...
#62 of 831 Old 12-03-2006, 12:44 AM

Shoes - I track milage in my training log. I find I need new ones around 300 miles - but I favor light weight cushioned shoes, so I think they wear out a little faster than a motion control or stability shoe does. I can really tell when I need new ones because my knees and shins start to ache. 300 miles is 4-6 months for me usually - but maybe it will be less if I get into this half training!

Bras - I will wear 2 runs in a row if I haven't had time to do laundry. I'm also pretty sensitive to smells though, so if I can smell me before I start running, I usually can't take it. I can wear one pair of my shorts more than once, but the other pair (which I actually prefer) smells really awful after a run - sweat and whatever synthetic they are made of just do not mix. With 6 people in this family, though, I'm usually doing a load of laundry every day anyway, so I just throw 'em in.

Lying - definitely you have to consistently and gently point out how important telling the truth is, but also remember that younger kids don't really view truth as concretely as we do. Often, they want something badly enough that in their heads it starts to seem true. I've always just gently corrected the falsehood, and helped them make any reparations needed (returning something, fixing something, apologizing to daddy for saying he did it, etc.) but not made a big deal about lying in my preschoolers. I also have found that you are just asking them to lie if you say things like "Did you do this?" in an aggravated tone of voice while towering over them.

I ran 3 on the treadmill tonight, after spending most of the day at a swim meet. Both my middle kids (my swimmers) swam personal bests today - Catherine in the 50 yd butterfly by over 4 seconds! and Justin in the 50 yd backstroke by over a second. Very exciting - and then we had to go to DQ, so I probably ought to have run farther after that! I'm hoping to run long tomorrow.

On vas - don't know about insurance because dh's was done for "professional courtesy" (one of the few perks of this job!) He had really not much discomfort at all and didn't complain once. Of course, he forgot to mention to me that he'd had it done (there's a story there) so he couldn't complain much - but he still insists it wasn't a big deal at all. I will always be sad not to have another baby - but I really didn't want a whole other kid! I so love not hassling with birth control, though. It is so freeing (take that how you like!)
#63 of 831 Old 12-03-2006, 01:19 AM

Yeah for stinky bras I too air and re-wear a few times...

So sad, no workout yesterday - got DD home from DCP before her late afternoon nap, laid down with her around 4, and neither of us woke up til DH got home at 6:15!! I didn't even know what day it was...

But back on track today - 8 miles yeah! I finally mentally feel like I can do the half in Jan... the run today was a little rough, and I had to keep saying 'just til the next light pole' for the last 2 miles, but I finally got back to that feeling where the mind feels separated from the body's struggles KWIM? (it has been a while - before September I hadn't really run regularly in like 4 years...)

Did I miss a Shanti recipe? Shanti cookies??? Me love cookies!!

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#64 of 831 Old 12-03-2006, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post
I also have found that you are just asking them to lie if you say things like "Did you do this?" in an aggravated tone of voice while towering over them.
And that's totally what I did. : DH and I were talking tonight about how that puts her on the defensive, so we're going to try alternatives like either stating what we see or saying (nicely) "What is this?" - especially when the answer is already obvious. DH pointed out an example earlier today where DD had scattered potting soil and rocks all over the porch. He asked her if she made that "mess" and she said no, and then and she explained that it was cat food. So in her mind, it wasn't a mess at all (and it wasn't bad, nothing a broom couldn't take care of).

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post
Of course, he forgot to mention to me that he'd had it done (there's a story there) so he couldn't complain much - but he still insists it wasn't a big deal at all.
Do tell this story!!

And congrats to your swimmer kiddos with their PBs today.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#65 of 831 Old 12-03-2006, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
doctorjen - I am right there with you on missing anothe baby but not the whole new kid! dh had a V just before or youngest's first birthday. He was fine, I was a wreck.

bras - I have one. I generally rinse it out while I am in the shower after a run and hang it up to dry and throw it in the laundry after every few runs. My bras are so expensive I can't justify buyign another - but nmaybe I should. Would enell cover a wierd size (like 28 or 30E)? How much are they?

We had our kitchen sink and faucet replaced yesterday and it feels like we had a whole new kitchen installed. The last owner used the kitchen sink as a work sink so it was dented and scratched and stained. I love it!

I am looking forward to teaching Sunday School today - I bought a Waldorf-y nativity set to play with with the kids and some Waldorf craft supplies and I think we are just going to set the tone for Advent. It should be fun. then I am heading into Toronto this afternoon. My favourite aunt is taking me out for supper and I am spending the night with her, then tomorrow I am seeing two beloved friends, returning something to IKEA and coming home. As much as I miss babies, there are some perks to having older kids.
#66 of 831 Old 12-03-2006, 10:56 AM

Okay, crazy crazy busyness here, I am at the end of term crunch time with school with papers and tests popping up left and right! :

Anyway, I need to do 5 miles today according to my training schedule and I'm trying to decide how I want them . Whether I want to go run on the frozen track around the park, or run to town(more like 7 miles) and have dh meet me at the end, or drive to Y and run on TM or indoor track.....hmmm decisions...I'm leaning towards frozen track around park, then I can stop if I am too miserable, or shed clothes easily into my car as need be. It is pretty freakin' cold here this morning! I put on my uggs to take the dogs out, instead of my usual flip flops .

Oh, and I too need the recipe for the shanti-cookies! I have a cookie exchange next week and I would love to make those, in fact I have been planning on it .

creb, your website looks great, I really wish you lived closer as the relatives want pics for the holidays, and I really want to avoid the whole Walmart Picture scene.

Eksmom, we are running into similar scenarios w/Zoe (who was 3 in Aug), and I have also found that asking questions like, "can you tell me what is going on here?" (asked in pleasant interested voice) goes a lot further than the towering over asking, "what did you just do?" Also the stealing issue, dd just took a pink keychain home from a friend's house and she keeps saying, "But I just needed to have it" [sigh]. She will be bringing it back and we have had lots of talks about it. It is so hard with very very verbal 3 year olds.

Bras, I have two bras, which I have to wear together, so I try to wash them as is convenient. Enell wearing mamas, I am in the middle of my weight loss, is it worth it to invest in an Enell now, or should I keep just doubling up my champions until my weight loss is done? I wear about a 34 ddd, and am looking forward to being smaller when I have lost the last 20 lbs or so.

Okay, off to decide about my run....

Abby
#67 of 831 Old 12-03-2006, 10:58 AM

popping in to see if there is any ND news yet.

Hot hot hot here today, will wait until it cools off so i can go out for a walk/run

Ek: my dd seems to be weaning with this pregnancy, it has been really painful to nurse and i prehaps discourage her a bit. I am sad though coz i am not sure she is really i would have like to go on to 3, i am not ruling out that she may carry on with 1 or 2 short sessions until baby comes and then tandem nurse, but at the moment i feel relieved she is nursing less and feeling guilty at the same time. Now that she is night weaned she sleeps through for the first time in 2 years and i am up to the loo all night!

helped at an accident on Friday afternoon, my sister and i were in the car and we came across and accident, she went to see if the needed a nurse and i pulled over, it must have just happend as no one else had stopped, they were all just trying to get there damn cars around and hooting! Anyway it was a guy on a motorbike and car. the car guy was fine but the bike guys leg was completely broken with an open fracture and the leg totally bend underneath it self. I just put pressure on it and my sis and i tried to keep him talking until the ambulance came. Sad here the biggest thing we had to find out was if her had health insurance otherwise the private hospitals near by would not take him and he would have had to go to the state hospital ( which i can guarentee you no one wants to go to) he did have insurance, well his dad did, he was only 24. He leg is so badly messed up. I only hope they could save it. Can't stop thinking about him.

About big V dh did not want another kid he only wanted dd, but he said okay to one more on 3 conditions, one he was going for the big V after this one, 2 i have t have a bood job after this one is weaned ( do you think it would be okay to nurse a 21 year old) i have tiny boobs, and less than tiny now dd is finished with them but i hate the idea of a boob job. and the 3rd thing was i had to be nice to him all the time LOL. So i gues after this one he will go.

crebrun: good luck for tuesday

Chamamama: glad your dh is better now

grmntnmama: i want to get dh a climbing, or mountian biking t-shirt for christmas there is nothing here in SA, any ideas of a good online place to get one?
#68 of 831 Old 12-03-2006, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I will post the yummy cookie recipe when I get back - and finally go check out the recipe blog!!
#69 of 831 Old 12-03-2006, 01:48 PM

Okay, just got back from run. I chose the run five miles from front door of home and have dh come pick me up route. A few notes: It took 3 miles to feel my fingers and my feet and my running hoodie has those fold over baby flap hand thingies. Brrrrr. 2nd note: I'm considering running with a large shotgun slung over shoulder. Not that I want to shoot anyone(I'm actually incredibly anti gun), I think it would just help in the getting run off the road by large trucks issue. 3rd note: plan a route with fewer hills next time. I spent a lot of time running up hill, and since I only ran out, I didn't get to run back down the hills. Running up so many hills has turned my legs into jello. Okay, getting cold now, off to change and shower and warm up!

Abby
#70 of 831 Old 12-03-2006, 03:36 PM

Hi everyone!!

Last night should have marked the last super busy thing on my schedule. As of today I should have all kinds of free time!! Woohoo!!! I think we are going to go get our Christmas tree today because dh is leaving for a week tomorrow morning. I really need a kick in the a@@ again. I have access to a friend's treadmill now, so I will do two runs this week on that and on the off days (and maybe even the running days) I will do RM's hip stabilization exercises. My hip is killing me!!! Not a good way to start back up again. But I have to do it and I need to stop making excuses.
#71 of 831 Old 12-03-2006, 04:10 PM

I am lol at the gun thing. Maybe it would make the SUV/BMW/BFC (big f-ing car) people notice me as they pretend not to when I'm running. Nothing makes me madder.

Enell...I tried one on before I bought it. I was about 25 lbs into my eventual 45 lb weight loss and got so sick of running with two bras and all that crap. They sell them at tennis stores IRL, and you can find out if there's one close to you at the website. I think a size 0 might fit you, Shanti. But as I've said they can go through a crazy wide range of sizes. The only thing that bugged me with it was when ds was really little and I ran with engorged boobs a few times. youch.

I ran 4 yesterday, a nice sunrise run. I am going to walk with the fam for exercise tonight, not too strenuous but there is just no other time today. I preached this morning (someone called it "interesting and fun" guess that's good!) and dh is working. monkey boy is all into our new printer/fax, pressing every button, so I best get going. take care mamas!
#72 of 831 Old 12-03-2006, 06:00 PM

hey there. ran for an hour on the trails today. woke up feeling pretty rough, I think a cold is coming up. hopefully it won't stick around for too long.

shoes - i replace mine every 300-400 miles. i don't keep track or log my mileage, but my feet can tell when shoes are done. it's time to replace them now and some new Adidas are on my list. i don't get anything special for winter running, but use my svelte snowboarding socks for a little extra warmth. For the amount of time that I'll be outside there's no reason to get fancy 'waterproof' shoes. As they say in New Zealand, what's the point of waterproof boots when you're up to your knees in water?

bras - i have three good bras. 2 adidas and 1 patagonia. 1 is a little big. 1 is a smidge small and 1 is just right. i love them all. good sports bras are totally worth it. between running, biking, climbing, snowboarding, and x-country skiing these things aren't just one-trick ponies. I tend to wash mine after every use oh, i have one cheapy from Target. it's awful. when I wear it I wish i was wearing two, and I have B cups.

Sally - not sure where to send you. try some google searches or forums like mtbr.com and rockclimbing.com and see what's advertised. if you think he'd like a Bike29 shirt you can go to our site

Trying to get our cards done for the merry mailers. We're getting there. They will get out!
#73 of 831 Old 12-03-2006, 10:46 PM

Bathtime is already over, I just need to brag quickly that I got out and ran even though it was 16 degrees F (and 3 with windchill!) The dogs needed to go out anyway and it was so cold I wasn't worried about being safe after dark even, because there was noone out there at all. It was BEAUTIFUL to see the moonlight on lake michigan in the cold, so wonderful I cannot even describe it. I love how sometimes you get out when you don't want to and are rewarded like that. I will post a picture of my michelin man getup tomorrow. I borrowed DHs gloves to go over my own and it was so funny we took a picture.
#74 of 831 Old 12-03-2006, 11:12 PM

Checking in from SF. Having a lovely time chillin', vacationin', hangin out with my sister and being kid/homelife free. I do miss the kids quite a bit, and little DD is quite sad that I am gone , but it has done me a lot of good so far to be out here. Even got in a run yesterday at Golden Gate Park. And doing tons of walking, and or course, lots of hills. Today we had a big spa day, hot tub, sauna, massage. Awesome.

And I think that tomorrow I am actually getting a nose ring. No one knows about it, other than my sister. I am a little freaked, but I have wanted one for a long time, so am gonna take the plunge. And we will probably go out to the Pacific tomorrow as well. I love the beach!
#75 of 831 Old 12-03-2006, 11:49 PM

hi ladies
i haven't been around in a while. tons and tons of stuff going on. mostly trying to work out my personal life. not doing such a great job but also still working on being happy.
the big V: dh had one several years ago. ice(or bags of peas) and tylenol. he was ready to go back to work after a day. he would have except he is an electrician, working on a commercial job at the time. lots of heavy lifting and such. as for the "itchiness" keep the area ummmm well lubricated.
shoes: i love my ryka brand shoes. supposedlly the donate a portion of sales to breast cancer research. i am not sure how often i replace them.i would to do it every 6-9 months, but it is more like once a year. i start getting shin splints if i wear them too long.
PMS: anyone have trouble getting the energy up to go run a few days before their period. i am so exhausted during that time. shhhhheeeesh.
did 5 miles today outside, ran 3 and walked 2. tomorrow i am hoping to hit the treadmill for 3 or outside for 5, depending on the weather.
not much else.
i've missed it here. you guys are a great inspiration.
peace
michele
#76 of 831 Old 12-03-2006, 11:52 PM

just one more thing.
the smelly bra thing. first of all i feel so much better about how often people wash their bras. very liberating.
secondly... for a smelly bra 1jooj, try adding regular vinegar to the rinse water of your wash. vinegar is a wonder thing. i add it to clothes to whiten and also get ride of detergent residue, i sterilize the kids nebeulizers with it and i clean with it. it really is great.
hope that helps
peace
michele
#77 of 831 Old 12-04-2006, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
Checking in from SF. Having a lovely time chillin', vacationin', hangin out with my sister and being kid/homelife free. I do miss the kids quite a bit, and little DD is quite sad that I am gone , but it has done me a lot of good so far to be out here. Even got in a run yesterday at Golden Gate Park. And doing tons of walking, and or course, lots of hills. Today we had a big spa day, hot tub, sauna, massage. Awesome.

And I think that tomorrow I am actually getting a nose ring. No one knows about it, other than my sister. I am a little freaked, but I have wanted one for a long time, so am gonna take the plunge. And we will probably go out to the Pacific tomorrow as well. I love the beach!
I had a nose ring, which I am sad to say I don't anymore. It didn't hurt all that much to get it done. It felt like someone was plucking one single nose hair out and it made my eyes water, and then it was over. You can so do it! And I think they look so pretty when you have a dainty stud. When I am a SAHM, I am going to get mine repierced! I miss it so much.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#78 of 831 Old 12-04-2006, 12:44 AM

I managed to get 6 miles in today on the treadmill. I was hoping to run 7, but the rest of the family was waiting on me to go out to supper, so I cut it short. I'm feeling better about running longer these days, as even 6 miles isn't feeling too hard anymore. Maybe I can actually make it to 13.1?

Not looking forward to going to work tomorrow. Being off Friday is sure to have wreaked havoc with my schedule for the rest of the week. I'm waiting on one of my favorite mamas to have her baby. She is due this coming Saturday, so should be soon. I haven't caught a baby since Nov. 1, and while it has been a lovely break from getting up at night, I'm ready to see another newborn now!
#79 of 831 Old 12-04-2006, 01:12 AM

Chelsea - wow, that is cold! I am impressed!!

I didn't actually run today, but I'm going to count it towards the challenge b/c I walked and hiked about an hour w/ DH and we traded carrying DD in the backpack and that is definitely more of a workout!

moonshine - good luck with your piercing! I am jealous, I always wanted a nose ring, well actually a small stud, but there is no way I could pull it off, I look way too traditional and engineery... (if that is a word)

I mostly just wanted to say, sorry OSU fans, I can't be a fan by association now... GO GATORS! . I am sorry to any Michigan fans as well, I think the BCS voting is a little sketchy, but I am sooo happy to see UF at #2 (that is where I went to grad school), and better yet, the game is here in AZ, so hopefully some friends will make it out and maybe I will splurge on a ticket... Unfortunately my real team - Georgia Tech - didn't do as well this year, but one out of two isn't bad!!!

okay, sorry so OT, just had to say it

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#80 of 831 Old 12-04-2006, 03:25 AM

Moonshine, how fun!! Hope the piercing is super easy! I look forward to seeing pictures.

We were so busy at the auction last night that I completely forgot to get pictures! I think I might put my outfit back on sometime this week and ask my mom to take one for me. What a ditz!

I'm going to run tomorrow! Originally I was going to wait until Tuesday, but then I decided that if I wait another day, I might not do it at all. So, tomorrow is the big day! I plan to just do 30 min. to get back into the swing of things.
#81 of 831 Old 12-04-2006, 09:40 AM

I did not want to get up this morning. My ds got in bed with me at 4 and flipped and flopped for an hour..so I finally went and got in his bed. My plan was to go back to bed now that dh has taken the kiddos to school, but guess I'm too awake now. The repair man is coming at 10 to see what needs to be done about the holes in the attic to keep out the squirrels. We've been keeping the attic light on at night and that is keeping them out for now. I did not exercise this weekend Will be busy making it up this week. hmsmomma4....I have a really hard time during PMS...I have recently started progesterone cream (went to dr and had hormone levels tested) and that has helped some..it's hard to run or do anything bouncy when my boobs are so sore too.
#82 of 831 Old 12-04-2006, 09:44 AM

mommabelle - our dc must be on the same schedule, except mine came to bed at 3:15am and flopped for an hour.
#83 of 831 Old 12-04-2006, 09:57 AM

I got up early this AM and thought about running...but I am instead going to shoot for a mile or two after work, and then a longer run tomorrow. Another open house yesterday, and a ton of errands. I feel like this weekend hardly happened. Ah, well. Don't even know whether anyone came to the open house, either. Guess we'll hear feedback today.

I notice my PMS a lot now too. I used to only "notice" in retrospect, when Af came and I examined my reactions and behaviors of the week before. Now I notice my tension level rising and weird energy fluctuations--between none and too much. I try to take advantage of the peaks, because I can really go fast and long (for me) on some of those days. I don't get sore boobs (what boobs?) now, though.

My dd flopped all night. And then the phone rang at 4:44. The only people who call us at that time are Africans...and the call didn't go through (it was from a payphone and the caller likely didn't have enough money to complete a call to the US)...and dh tried to call family but couldn't get a signal...so now we freak out while we wait to hear something from someone. I just hope no one is calling to ask for money, because they could frankly not possibly choose a worse moment for that demand.
#84 of 831 Old 12-04-2006, 10:43 AM

Ladies I just logged on for the first time since this friday, I think. To check for a baby dingo and nada. Then I decided to to a little stalking

So I clicked on find all posts by ND. This from the pregnancy after loss thread.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND
Middle of the night.....................midwife is coming over

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#85 of 831 Old 12-04-2006, 10:45 AM

oooooo :
#86 of 831 Old 12-04-2006, 10:47 AM

: I hope this is it and ND is holding her sweet babe now!

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#87 of 831 Old 12-04-2006, 11:02 AM

nice stalking kerc!!!!! hoping to hear about the sweet new dingo soon!

I'm waiting for dh to get back so I can run. it is SO chilly here this week (not for you northerners). good for you, Chelsea, for getting out there in the negative #'s. I'm so glad you started this challenge! I haven't run every day, but every day, I've done some sort of activity for at least 30 minutes (okay, 20 one night when dd got tired early). hope that counts.

1jooj, I hope everything is okay. Middle of the night calls really are awful.

I just need to vent for a sec...I am making a carrier for a friend of mine who doesn't live here, so we're doing it by email. I am SO over it...she insisted on a different fabric than I usually use and it's hard to work with, and now she's insisting on a pocket in a weird place. I emailed her that it might not work, and she got irritated. This is so weird...I think from now on I am going to make a rule that I'm only using my denim that I know works well. I'm learning a lot from this.... okay, vent over.

my ds was also up at 4:30 but that is normal for him. : I am sort of over it, but he sleeps until then so I don't want to complain too much for fear he'll get up fourteen times a night again.
#88 of 831 Old 12-04-2006, 11:07 AM

Omg.. how exciting... a new Dingo!!

I can't wait to hear an update.

Good stalking kerc.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#89 of 831 Old 12-04-2006, 11:21 AM

: this is me this morning. : it's the first day that I've had to do dropoff for our new schedule and getting out the door is a nightmare! on top of just getting the boy dressed and fed, I also had three arm loads of packages to take to the Post Office. it surprise snowed last night (that's when you wake up to snow that you didn't even know was coming) so then I had to get his snow stuff ready to go as well. we need to start getting up earlier.

not having a three day weekend felt a little strange. yesterday i was wishing that I had one more day.

Kerc - well done on the stalking, I can't wait to hear the news.
#90 of 831 Old 12-04-2006, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Who had N-Call the Midwife??

:

Totally an infinite hit-the-reload-button kinda day.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page