Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yay Erika- We are all so happy for you.

Patti
#122 of 831 Old 12-04-2006, 10:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Welcome Welcome Welcome : Yay! Erika - I am soooooo happy for you!

And Doctorjen - : THANK YOU! It is the most beautiful and sweet little baby quilt. I don't know if you knew this or not, but I was feeling all sad because since MIL wrote me off...well no little baby quilts like she made for dd. I was even beginning to plot and plan on how I could make him one. And then lo and behold with this beautiful blue ribbon there is the softest, prettiest little quilt. Thank you so much for thinking of us. Man I wish I were a writer or a poet so I could put words to my feelings.
#123 of 831 Old 12-04-2006, 10:56 PM

No running to report for me in quite a few days now. I need some motivation and less things to do around the house. I must run soon. I really need it.

Patti
#124 of 831 Old 12-04-2006, 11:11 PM

Welcome Baby Athena Shanti!!!!

What a beautiful name!!

Congratulations ND!!!
#125 of 831 Old 12-04-2006, 11:38 PM

Welcome baby Athena!!!! I love the name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti Ann View Post
No running to report for me in quite a few days now. I need some motivation and less things to do around the house. I must run soon. I really need it.

Patti

ahem. that's me. In fact I even gave up on running on the TM in lieu of a shopping trip to kmart of all things. I kmart because no matter which store I'm in, they have 10 checkouts and 1 open. Today they overcharged me by about 3 bucks. I caught it. I tell the clerk. He says, no no no, it's taken off -- it wasn't. A 35 minute wait in the service line later I get my darn money back. Grrrr. See my blog for more interesting holiday shopping with Kristin.

I'm off to get some basement ceiling lighting up. Wish me luck. Its dark down there and me with no shop light shall be doing it by headlamp. Thank goodness I asked for a new LED headlamp as a new baby gift (for nursing in the middle of the night without turning on the overhead lamp, duh).

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#126 of 831 Old 12-04-2006, 11:48 PM

Woo-hoo, just got back from the gym where I did 4.7. I feel awesome now. It is so nice to be getting the running high again.

Y'all, if you have any good thoughts to spare, please send them my aunt's way. She began radiation today. She thinks the knot on her neck has grown bigger in just the last week or two, plus she thinks she has found a couple more by her ear.

Kerc, your Kmart experience describes ours here perfectly. I just don't understand the policy. Do customers' tempers have to reach an 8 on a scale of 1-10 before they open another register?

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#127 of 831 Old 12-05-2006, 12:19 AM

Congratulations Erika! Welcome Athena!

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#128 of 831 Old 12-05-2006, 01:39 AM

came esp this morning to see if there was new

well done Erika and welcome baby Athena
#129 of 831 Old 12-05-2006, 01:49 AM

eksmom, lots of positive thoughts being sent her way!!!

I did 30 min. on the TM today. Did I already report this here? I went 2.5 miles...not as far as I hoped to go. I guess I shouldn't expect much after what was essentially a month off. I'm going to go e-window shopping for my own TM so that I can watch TV while I run, while Oliver is playing. But I don't know if I can really justify it because he'll be in school next year. Can I spend that much money for just 9 mo.? Really just 6 mo.

kerc, how annoying! That can take so much fun out of holiday shopping. I've been buying a lot online this year. It's so fun to get packages in the mail!!
#130 of 831 Old 12-05-2006, 01:57 AM

Yay!!! Congrats and welcome to baby Athena (love the name!)

I've got a few toddler questions and need help!

Ds is just a bit past two, and some nights he wakes up and seems like he has some pain in his legs. He says ow...points to his leg (usually it seems to be both of them) and asks me to kiss them to make them better. It usually lasts for about 15 minutes, then seems to pass. Could this be growing pains? It sounds like it might be from what I've read, but most places I look say that growing pains don't begin until around 3.

Also, ds is very anti-blanket. When he was very small, he didn't want any part of being swaddled. Now that it's getting cold at night, I'd really like to get him under the blanket when he sleeps, but he doesn't want any part of it. Last night, he didn't even want his toe touching the blanket! Anyone else's little ones do this? Do they ever get to where they want to be tucked in?

Thanks!

Vegan, mom to : Joe and Josh ::
#131 of 831 Old 12-05-2006, 09:58 AM

: Welcome to the world, Athena Shanti-what a gorgeous name!!
#132 of 831 Old 12-05-2006, 09:59 AM

Welcome to the world new little one!

It is nice to know that there are all of you Mommy's out there who also have flopping children in the wee hours! LOL

I did a a video step workout yesterday. It was tough. I used to be a serious stepper..can't believe it was so tough. Today is a running day. Also..I'm finally losing weight and I dropped down into the next "decade" this morning!!!! Yippee.
#133 of 831 Old 12-05-2006, 10:04 AM

Mommabelle!!
#134 of 831 Old 12-05-2006, 10:13 AM

Welcome, welcome baby Athena!!!!
: : :
What a gorgeous strong little girl name for the baby dingo!!!!!!!! Sounds like things went fantastically....I am SO thrilled for you and your family!!!!!
#135 of 831 Old 12-05-2006, 10:16 AM

what a great name!!! congratulations!!!
my son has had growing pains all his life. i didn't think little ones, like 2 year olds got them, but he did, especially after a hard day playing, like if we went to the beach and he played and ran all day. finally what i found that worked is putting a towel in the micorwave, warming it up (or in the dryer) and wrapping his legs in it. i realize you said he doesn't like to be underblankets and such, but it might make him feel better and it isn't for too long. also i give him just a little bit of tylenol. not even a full dose. it seems to work for him.

running news. i ran a little over 4 miles on the treadmill last night, and now have a splitting headache. dehydrate? perhaps? who knows.
did 5 miles outside on sunday. if it weren't for this headache i would be feeling great. although i do wonder why i am not losing any weight. sigh. i get the whole muscle weighs more than fat thing, but shhheeeesh. i'd like to lose a little bit.

congrats again on the new baby!!! so exciting!!!
peace
michele
#136 of 831 Old 12-05-2006, 10:34 AM

My older dd has had growing pains in her legs several times. It usually passes in a couple of days.

Crazy day here today-my choir is singing this morning, the dd1 and I have a dentist appt, then choir practice tonight. Somehow I'm going to try and fit a run in.

Girls, can I confess that it's been many years since I've been to the dentist and I know my teeth have problems. I am terrified and I don't want to go. I know I need to have my wisdom teeth out and I can't even stand to think about it. I hope this new dentist is very gentle.

ND-I was thinking of you last night while J was up nursing in the middle of the night, knowing you were probably doing the same thing. Enjoy those sweet newborn moments.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#137 of 831 Old 12-05-2006, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
hbm - I won't admit to how many years I went without going to a dentist. Fortunately my teeth are good and I found someone good to see. She told me I needed my wisdom teeth out but said it could wait until my children were all sleeping through the night. When I had it done a couple of years ago, it was pure h$!! but it didn't last forever. Now I go regularly, but that initial going back was scary.

ND - We thought about naming our youngest dd Shanti. I love that name (can you tell? ) We often call her that as her nickname or "snugglename" as she calls it. I can't wait to see pictures - I hope all 5 of you are doing well!

So I was going to check out the new gym for a run today - but snow is falling like mad and I have a foot of it to shovel out of my driveway. I think that will be my workout for today. It looks like a Christmas card here- the woodstove is burning, a few Christmas decorations are up, I have "the Messiah" playing in the background and fat snowflakes are falling. The snow didn't start until I was 5 minutes from home after my trip to Toronto, thank goodnes. I had a great time with my aunt. We went out to a fabulous little Italian restaurant and talked for hours. She is almost 80 and has just started talking salsa dance lessons with her sister I told her want to give her a Shantiquilt as a birthday/Christmas gift and she loves the wildest patterns, like that red one I showed you all last month. She is an amazing lady.
#138 of 831 Old 12-05-2006, 01:00 PM

aw, HBM. I have terrible dentist fears too. Because we didn't have dental insurance for so long, I never went and when I did finally go there were issues. Just keep in mind if you make it though and keep going to the dentist for maintenance things get a lot better. and one day the dentist will inspect after a cleaning and say, "looks good, there's nothing for me here." and you will be very very proud.

eksmom - i'm sending positive thoughts to your aunt today.

looks like i'll be able to slip out for some exercise this afternoon. woohoo!

it's a 25 mile drive to the nearest K-mart or wal-mart type of store. so i just don't go. because when I do go it's always like Kerc described. a nightmare. we have a little five&dime style store in town, and if they don't carry it then we either don't need it or get it online.
#139 of 831 Old 12-05-2006, 02:12 PM

Welcome baby Athena!!!!!! I adore the name! Smell that new baby head for me!

HBM, I have a terrible dentist phobia. I went to the dentist once in almost ten years after I moved out on my own : I am finally in the habit of going every 6 months again, even though we still don't have insurance :
#140 of 831 Old 12-05-2006, 02:44 PM

About to head to the TM&TV...we'll see how far I go! I have beef and barley soup started (for me) and I'm making spag for everyone else. Found ds's winter boots too small this AM, so I went thrift shopping, and got him 2 pairs...and picked up a couple small soup thermos jars, a pair of Travelsmith jeans (perfect for supporting "the gush" and making it seem almost not there, and a bargain at $3, in 8P!!! too good to pass up) and a sweater dress ($1, lambswool, a lovely beige with cowlneck, will look cute with my shearling boots, I think). Yay! THAT's what I get for saying "no thanks" when dh told me to buy myself something this weekend.
#141 of 831 Old 12-05-2006, 05:39 PM

1jooj-Great scores! Don't ya just love that?

Just back from the dentist. It wasn't so bad. No cavities! I do have to have my wisdom teeth out ASAP, but I kind of knew that already. What a relief.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#142 of 831 Old 12-05-2006, 06:09 PM

in addition to my previous post, don't think i'm a holier-than-thou-non-consumer. if there was a target nearby we would be there a lot. but there's not.

happy to report that i lifted weights and ran for 20 minutes on the dreadmill. i almost quit several times, but toughed it out with a vh1 special on Paris Hilton. .
#143 of 831 Old 12-05-2006, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmtnmama View Post
in addition to my previous post, don't think i'm a holier-than-thou-non-consumer. if there was a target nearby we would be there a lot. but there's not.

The mall area of my town is 10+ miles from my home (I live in a long and skinny city). Unfortunately it is only about 2 miles from my place of work so I'm there more often than I care to admit.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#144 of 831 Old 12-05-2006, 06:39 PM

HBM - I just wanted to say that my wisdom teeth experience wasn't too bad. I had em out about 6 years ago, and they were done at a teaching hospital, which I was scared about, but the doc was great. I took the pain meds they gave me the first day, but after that just a few tylenol... I didn't think the pain was too bad. But I did bruise a little on the cheeks so I looked like I'd been in a bar fight

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#145 of 831 Old 12-05-2006, 09:10 PM

My wisdom teeth experience wasn't too bad either. But I must admit to having a horrible dentist phobia.
#146 of 831 Old 12-05-2006, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Baby Athena Shanti!!! What an excellent name! Beautiful! Strong! Impressive! I love it!

Just doing a speed check in from the car parked in a neighborhood where somebody has a wi-fi spilling out into the street. It is not easy to find connections in real places in this country!
It has been a fairly stressful time here so far (after the extra day of driving we had to do to get here ). MIL is fairly lucid but every day we have to explain to her again that she is moving into a nursing home. It's like a non-charming 50 First Dates. Her apartment is small but packed to the gills with knick knacks, pictures, rugs etc etc etc and of course it is all too valuable to just throw away. : Granted, some of it really is but not every freaking trinket!
Anyway, we've got a lot of packing to do.

And, speaking of which it's time to get back to it.
Oh! I did get a full workout in this morning, a 20 minute run and then lower body weights. That felt good!

JenLove - how's your schedule? We are super busy but if there is a time that you might be in this area anyway I could sneak off for a bit.

Okay, gotta go. 'Night mamas!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#147 of 831 Old 12-05-2006, 09:21 PM

Plady, hope it goes as smoothly as possible.

I'm one of those oddities who likes seeing the dentist. I have a great hygenist (who runs ), and they all loved how my kids would come in with me and sleep/nurse on my lap/belly as I got cleaned and serviced. I've had one bad dental visit, but it was a customer service issue, not a dental issue. I had my wisdoms out by a regular old dentist, wide awake and just novacaine (sp?), with really very little pain and no complications...of course, that was half a lifetime ago, and the pain of impacted wisdom teeth made the procedure a welcome one. I also had to see a dentist each year as a Peace Corps volunteer. That was less great, but still OK. Even when my folks had no dental coverage, we went yearly. I guess they figured it was worth it. And that sunk in. I am really preachy with my kids about their teeth.

Ran 6.2 this afternoon. Wanted to go further, but the lower back calf on my right leg cramps up on me. Dehydration? What does achilles pain feel like?
#148 of 831 Old 12-05-2006, 10:40 PM

Ok, stop all the dentist talk. All the google ads at the bottom are about tooth absesce (sp?) and the like.

I was home today in the land of the pukes. It's amazing how easy it is to care for a sick 4 year old who can now hit the puke bucket. I went and got her videos at the library, and sat next to her and graded papers all day. Cross your fingers I don't get the pukes myself.

Help me out:

On my sister's Christmas list is "anything from title 9 or a similar store." She's a 20-30 mile a week side walk runner with a 6 year old and a 3 year old. Nothing really jumps out at me. Ideas?
#149 of 831 Old 12-05-2006, 10:47 PM

what are you looking to spend?
#150 of 831 Old 12-05-2006, 10:47 PM

geo - what price range are you thinking? i'm actively looking for procrastination tools at the moment.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page