Is there such a thing as winter running? - January Running Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 1084 Old 01-02-2007, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey all of you wonderful running mamas!!!

I got my first prego workout in this morning. I'm starting out with a little Walk Away the Pounds until I get the jelly out of my muscles. Hopefully I can go back to The Firm in a few weeks until I get too big to hoist my butt up on that step....then I'll be walking it away again. My treadmill died a few months ago, so its time to get a new one....but its not in the budget right now with the baby coming.

I feel so much better today. My digestion works so much better when I have a daily workout. That 1st trimester bloat is really killing me. Other than that I am starting to feel like a human again. I'm still a little tired, but at least I can eat for a change!

Oh...Eksmom....I'm due in late July!
#62 of 1084 Old 01-02-2007, 02:04 PM

Hi everyone, coming up for air. Rather than feel completely overwhelmed with life I've spent the last 2 weeks or so basically offline.

I've been sick, dh has been sick, ILs visited, we visited BIL/SIL, oh yeah and we're doing some work on our house. Plus dh's work schedule is doubling next semester and he's a bit of a weenie about it (but I think I might get a new car out of it).

So I'm subscribing, but the only running I can report from the last time I was here until now was to follow Leah around the house. She's walking!!!

I'll be back in a few days as my life settles a bit. My resolutions for the New Year (I don't do resolutions but...)
1. eat more green veggies
2. keep my life in order: that means less internet time during busy seasons (rather than staying up late to make up my work time)
3. exercise as a routine. time/distance TBD.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#63 of 1084 Old 01-02-2007, 02:38 PM

Still working on catching up with y'all...

geo - nice counters! i'm not sure i'm diligent enough to do ones like that though. i haven't decided on my exercise and work goals yet, which is obviously part of the problem. right now my goals are a) get research, admin, and teaching stuff done that has to be done before classes start next monday, b) lose holiday fat and stress by returning to pre-holiday healthy eating and working out regularly, d) don't neglect kids, e) spend more time with dh. the first two goals are driving me right now and obviously short-term...

cherylann - i've struggled with eating disorders and food addiction for a LONG time too. i was dieting before 10yo, anorexic my sr year in high school, exercise bulimic my first 2 years in college, and struggled with binge eating and dieting for years afterward. i now realize i struggled with SAD every winter in michigan, which helps explain the 10-15lb weight gain every winter, followed by equivalent weight loss every spring/summer. anyway, long history of eating problems. just before this christmas holiday, i was happy with my body for the first time i can remember while at the same time not having to actively diet. but i realized how fragile that achievement was when i couldn't stop shoving sweets in my mouth at my relatives' house over the holidays. the things that have worked for me are: 1) don't keep junk in the house or at work. i have no won't-power and will eat it compulsively, as i discovered over the holidays. 2) keep healthier alternatives around in case i get cravings for junk. ex: diet sodas, coffee, good tasting fizzy water, very dark chocolate (above 70% cacao), carrot sticks for general munchies. 3) don't make any food entirely forbidden. as soon as i do so, my desire to eat it increases. 4) when i get the desire to eat something fattening, ask myself whether the momentary pleasure is worth the extra work and deprivation i'll have to endure to lose those unwanted calories. sometimes it is worth it and other times it isn't, but it helps to think about it. 5) eat mostly vegetarian, including, lots of fiber and adequate protein - very little white flour or sugar. beans, beans, beans!, 6) vigorously exercise regularly - i think this wards off depression and compensatory eating, and obviously also burns calories... really, there are no easy answers

feeling frustrated this morning because i planned to work out at the campus gym after dropping off g at daycare and then discovered that it's still closed today. because it's no longer first thing in the morning, my bladder won't allow me to run. and my bike is having come friction issue that means i can't ride it for exercise right now. grr. but dh is home with e today so i'm asking dh if he can take a look at my bike or drop it off at the bike shop for a tune-up.

must go back to the urgent work tasks that need to be done asap...
#64 of 1084 Old 01-02-2007, 03:08 PM

new blogI started a blog. It has photos. More photos to come...these aren't the "interesting" ones. I'll keep you posted.
#65 of 1084 Old 01-02-2007, 03:11 PM

MissBliss, I am using Hal Higdon's Novice Guide.

Wawoof, thank you so much for sharing your experience. Your history sounds so similar to mine in several ways. We have all the junk out of the house now. My dad is gone (the stress of him being here puts so much on all of us, but I start eating like crazy!). I'm running regularly, eating good foods (the way you desribed works best for us, too). Thank you!

MamaBeth, I don't remember if I got in here to tell you thank you for the WW idea. I haven't been able to find one around here, but I will redouble my efforts. I will also start OA meetings on the 13th.

Thanks you guys!!!

WTG, Po6!
#66 of 1084 Old 01-02-2007, 05:02 PM

hi everybody, good to see you kerc, 2bbs, po7! (congrats!), jgmommo, monikita and anybody I missed!! whew! welcome back, and happy new year indeed!

cheryann--I hope ww might work for you. I really could go on and on about it and how much it's changed my attitudes, just being around other people who understand. The ww site has updated info for sure, if you plug in your zip code. glad you're feeling more healthy though!

I am taking my first day off from running in quite a while...I was so sore and was getting tired on runs. I liked being a streaker but I don't think I can do it all the time. But it was nice to know that I can bump up to 5 runs a week vs the 2 or 3 I was getting.

eksmom--dd's birthday is Friday and I SO wish I could hire you for the cake! We're calling her the princess of meatballs, since she requested meatball subs for lunch. any ideas? I was thinking about getting the skirt cake that goes around a real barbie or something.

take care mamas!
#67 of 1084 Old 01-02-2007, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeth View Post
eksmom--dd's birthday is Friday and I SO wish I could hire you for the cake! We're calling her the princess of meatballs, since she requested meatball subs for lunch. any ideas? I was thinking about getting the skirt cake that goes around a real barbie or something.
I would love to do your DD's cake! You never know what you will find with Google: Chocolate Truffle Meatballs!

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#68 of 1084 Old 01-02-2007, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
I would love to do your DD's cake! You never know what you will find with Google: Chocolate Truffle Meatballs!
laughup
That is too funny... I actually want to make that now!

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#69 of 1084 Old 01-02-2007, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Just a little update from me...

Cheryl and Wawoof, thank you for sharing about your food issues. I definitely have issues, but it is not clear to me exactly what they are. I am coming to this sense that I need some help, but I don't know where to get it or what is appropriate for me. I have never had an eating disorder per se, but I definitely have emotional issues with food and I am not making much progress trying to understand them on my own.

Geo, I was thinking this morning about Indigo Girls and was wondering what your CD-shaped Christmas present turned out to be.

Jo, thanks for sharing the pics and the blog - it looks gorgeous. I admire you for setting out to do this and fulfilling a dream you've had for so long.

2bbs, I am so glad to hear that things are going well at home.

No running for me today - tonight we're going to the running store so DH can get some proper shoes.

EK is finally doing better w/ her poop. Approx. 20 oz. of prune juice + 1 TBS of flax oil on Sunday and we've actually swung in the other direction. : : But her fear is subsiding and we're working on finding what works best... she actually loves the prune juice so I'm thinking we can make that a daily thing if we can just figure out how many oz. it takes. Somewhere along the way this clicked for me and I started finding many more ways to help her instead of just being frustrated by the constant "Need to go, no I don't, ouch, need to go, no, I don't." We now have a good start on our own hand-drawn anatomy book, including a page showing what it looks like in your intestines when you need to poop, and what it looks like and how good the person feels after they have pooped. Just for kicks she asked me to draw a picture of a runny nose so we have that too, complete with yellow streaming out of both nostrils! Oh, the joys of motherhood, right?

#70 of 1084 Old 01-02-2007, 05:25 PM

Happy New Year!
I got a short 3.5 miler in yesterday-we went on a 5 mile trail run on Sunday-love those-its been ages since we have run through the woods. I let dh push K-up the hills dodging the ruts, roots and horse poop

I am resolving to get my butt in gear this year-I gained 7 lbs over the holidays-not good at all-I knew I gained, but finally got on the scale yesterday-so I need to lose those 7 pounds-my goal will be to do it by the end of Feb so that it is a gradual thing. I have never dieted before-and CherylAnn-I have serious food addictions as well-I am a binger-and it is horrible-even while I am binging I am telling myself that I shouldn't be doing it Oh well-baby steps-I am going to try to keep the crap out of the house. My problem is that my dh is 6'4" , 180 lbs with the metabolism of a shrew-and he loves sweets-he needs to eat something sweet EVERY night-but he has self control-he is happy with 2 cookies. So I will at least try to put the cookies on a plate and bring them downstairs-instead of bringing down the whole Tupperware container like I was doing over the holidays I need to be realistic-I can't quit cold turkey-although I am thinking if I can start limiting myself-I might try to go sugar free for lent this year. My problem is the food I eat is fine and healthy-I just can't control myself on the sweets.

1jooj-did they put carpet OVER the hard wood in the kitchen? Or did you guys put the hard wood down yourselves? Crazy if they did it the first way!

Monikita-welcome back-so glad the hip is feeling good!

Dh just realized that the 10 miler we were going to sign up for in April is full already. We might do a half in March-I am sure that isn't full-it is super poorly run-its with a marathon-but it has a horrible reputation for a badly organized race. Will find a spring goal soon!
#71 of 1084 Old 01-02-2007, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Pumpkinseed, I don't know if this would be too far from home, but what about the Charlottesville 10 Miler? It's supposed to be a good race, although I'm sure it is hilly as all get out. Hm, maybe this isn't such a great suggestion!

ETA: I feel you on the sweets thing. The solution that works best for me is 1/4 serving of high-quality dark chocolate after lunch, and 1/2 cup of lowfat ice cream after supper. I eat the ice cream out of the measuring cup. The rest I have to keep out of the house - which is a battle in and of itself.

#72 of 1084 Old 01-02-2007, 05:37 PM

eksmom-that would be great-I am going to pass that onto dh and see if he is interested! We can always make it a nice overnight treat Thanks for the link! My favorite cross country inivitational in high school was in Charlottesville-so much fun, and so pretty!

Mmmmm-dark chocolate is my absolute favorite!!
#73 of 1084 Old 01-02-2007, 05:43 PM

I love your location, eksmom! I spend a lot of time up there, myself!

eksmom and pumpkinseed, thanks for sharing about your eating struggles. I'm sure it's much more common than we realized. There is such shame in telling others about how I shoveled cookie after cookie into my mouth, handfulls (!), and wouldn't stop even when they didn't taste good anymore and I was feeling a bit sick. It could be because I restrict myself too much. I think that dark chocoloate might be a key for me...if I only allow myself a certain amount at a time.

I got in my first run of 2007 and my first marathon training run! It was a slow 3 miles on the TM.

ETA: Mamabeth, thanks for the website tip! There IS a meeting here!
#74 of 1084 Old 01-02-2007, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Cheryl, I have done the same shoveling thing. I would love to know why I don't stop. Sometimes I wonder whether or not this is just what I have learned growing up with a mom who likely had/has her own emotional issues w/ food. I worry that I will pass the same thing on to DD. The latest thing I have noticed is that when I am trying to eat healthy/control myself and others around me are seemingly eating whatever they want, I feel deprived. But when I let go I'm sure I end up eating way more than the people I was envying. The other part of it is that I feel like I toe the line in so many areas of my life - sometimes, overeating or indulging feels like my only way to be rebellious. What I'm stuck on now is why do I feel deprived and why do I have this need to be rebellious? The whole thing feels complex and like there are many layers, and all of it is very murky to me. I really feel like I need to bounce it off a qualified professional, but I've tried a little bit with our therapist and it doesn't seem to get me anywhere. I've wondered if a nutrtionist would help, but that seems like the mechanics, which I understand fairly well - I need help with the psych stuff.

#75 of 1084 Old 01-02-2007, 06:01 PM

Hi from the great, not-white, in the mid-40's, upper midwest! It's been so long since I posted here that I think I'm a stranger : I did some running this past summer but then stopped again. I've been back at it for about three weeks and am feeling like my motivation will stick this time. I'm running about three miles, 3x per week. Luckily the weather is good. But, our local community center that has a small indoor track is now open at 5:30 a.m. so I can sneak over there before work if we actually ever get snow here.

It's so nice to see so many mamas that I remember still here and running. And lots of new (well, new to me) people too - it will take a while to get it all straight.

My info: I'll be 38 on Friday (yikes!). My dd turned four yesterday and my ds is 21 months. I work at a university (I'm an administrator not a scientist or prof) and studied engineering in school. I live in WI. I didn't run in school - hated it in fact - but found it's an efficient way to stay/get in shape and now I like it. The longest race I've ever done is 5 miles and my personal best long run (just on my own) is 6 miles. I sort of just plod along. I have been known to run with a sack of potatoes in my baby jogger in the wee hours of the morning. I was sort of pregnant this fall (tested positive but it didn't stick for long) which brought the issue of 2 vs 3 kids to a head with dh. I want 3, he wants 2. I'll either be happy and pregnant sometime next fall or happy and not pregnant. We'll see. In the meantime, I plan to be one lean, mean, running machine.

Happy New Year running mamas!
#76 of 1084 Old 01-02-2007, 06:09 PM

I have been reading along with the eating issues posts and felt like I could have written most of them myself... I have struggled with these things since starting college (I'm sure joining a sorority didn't help matters), especially sweets and binging. And now I'm watching my younger sister go through it too... I'm terrified of passing it on to DD subconsciously. why is this such an issue with a lot of women?

Somehow having a baby helped me because it gave me more of a sense that my body was supposed to "do" something rather than "be" something, but I definitely fall into the traps of eating mindlessly or for comfort still sometimes - especially when stressed and around the holidays.

I love dark chocolate too, the really high % chocolate ones are so satisfying and they're hard to eat a lot of because they're so strong tasting... I can't call anything forbidden or off limits either bc then I want it more!!

Anyways, I just wanted to add my .02... CherylAnn, I know it was probably hard to share, but it really got me thinking too! since I've been exercising a lot lately, the eating hasn't quite caught up w/ me yet, but in thinking more about it, I know I'm' still eating too much

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#77 of 1084 Old 01-02-2007, 06:11 PM

thanks for all the chitchat about the eating problems. i'm beginning to think that i'm addicted to food as well. i can't stop when i've had enough and it seems that my body always feels hungry even when it should be full. i can't have sweets in the house and i can't bake things or i eat it all up as quickly as possible. and now that i'm working so much it's harder for me to be the food preparation person to make dinners as low fat and healthy as possible.

i'm about to head to the gym for 20-30 minutes of exercise, like i promised myself I would do this year. i feel like i gained at least 5 pounds over the holiday and it feels awful. i am not happy with my body, but right now i'm hooked on sweets and hooked on eating whenever i want. coming down off of this will not be pretty, i wish i could just book myself into a spa for a couple of weeks like a celebrity.

my resolutions for the new year:
- floss more
- run at least one long distance trail event
- exercise at least 20 minutes each and every day
- put more energy into getting things done at work and with bike29.com (as flylady says, 'progress not perfectgion')

so off i go.

oh, my website is finally back up and running. i'm pretty ticked that it took so long, but can i really ask for compensation when I pay $8 per month for hosting? You get what you pay for i guess.
#78 of 1084 Old 01-02-2007, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hope!!! You're BACK! : How are your little baby potatoes??
#79 of 1084 Old 01-02-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Hope!!! You're BACK! : How are your little baby potatoes??
Hi Wendy, thanks for the welcome. My baby potatoes are big! Here's a photo from this fall My son is a monkey child and my dd flucuates between a princess and a tomboy. How about yours? It looks like you're trying to publish lots of papers this year (from what I can tell from the beginning of this thread) - I suppose the tenure clock is ticking, huh. Hopefully it won't be too tough for you! We have an assistant prof in our dept who had a baby last spring and she's under the gun too. I certainly don't envy you which is why I'm just a paper pusher

I'll check back in tomorrow - my goal is to run before work even though it is supposed to be windy.

#80 of 1084 Old 01-02-2007, 07:01 PM

Jooj - Yay blog! I've added you to my blog-reading list. The house looks so cool! I hear you on the stinky carpet. The first house I bought had horrible stained, stinky carpet through the whole thing... we didn't realize how bad it was when we viewed the house filled with TONS of stuff from the people who lived there prior, then I walked into the empty house and started crying. That very SECOND, my DH started pulling up the carpet and we found the hardwood underneath. We re-finished it ourselves and it was GORGEOUS. It increased the value of the house by 10k! Have fun with the giant floor sander/buffer.

Eks - I missed it, but I'm guessing EK was afraid to poop/constipated? My DD struggles with that sometimes, but just drinking more plain old water helps bunches. I'll tell her "You need to drink more water so your pooping doesn't hurt." and you should see her guzzle. Your anatomy book sounds cool!

So my hip injury scared me a bit off of distance running, which means I'm not doing another marathon this year. I probably won't even do any halfs. I've decided 2007 is the year of fitness running, and I'll return to distance in 2008. It was so horrible not to be able to run for 3.5 months... It is making me re-think my body's limits and my priorities. My goals are to run 4-5 days a week, but keep my mileage relatively low. I also want to strength train 3 days a week.

Yeah, yeah, I gained holiday poundage, too. You should see the gut on this mama. Woo, baby! (jiggle, jiggle) I actually ate a BATCH of homemade peanutbutter chocolate chip cookies the day before AF came. Never done that before, and hopefully won't ever repeat. Ugh! I like Kerc's goal of eating more green things. We all should!

Peace out, running chickadees!

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#81 of 1084 Old 01-02-2007, 07:59 PM

First - Hi Monikita and Schatz. It's great to see you guys back!

So, I went to the gym and ran for 25 minutes on the dreadmill. a combo of good music on my ipod and America's Next Top Model on the tv with the words on the screen got me though. I did lots of sprints and things which helped as well.

But then there was the scale. I gained 5 lbs since pre-christmas and it shows big time. So i have given myself an actual goal. Get 10 lbs off short term by eating better and exercising consistently. Once at 150, work towards 140 by training for distance off-road event to be determined for June/July timeframe. there it is. Honestly, I'd like to end up at 145 in the end. that's a nice weight for me and i can generally maintain it without too much suffering.
#82 of 1084 Old 01-02-2007, 08:15 PM

my goal? 20lbs...

I walked again today and it went much better.
#83 of 1084 Old 01-02-2007, 08:36 PM

Hi mamas,
I went to the gym today expecting to have to pay up for three more months but no! The nice guy who runs things is letting me make up for the three weeks I missed when I went to the States! How cool is that? I had a nice upper body workout and when the 20 lb dumbbells were being used I went up to 25 lbs for the first time in years!

Monikita - Good to see you back! Maybe (if the other dingos don't mind of course) we can talk a little weight training. How do you decide what to lift and how much and how many reps etc? I'm still following the old Body for Life routie but there are a lot of machines I don't use and I'm sure lots of muscles too.

Hi Schatz!

Mandy - You have the exact same weight loss goal I do! 10 rather quickly because this is just *too much* and then 5 more to feel right long term. 145 sounds like a lot in my mind but I know it fits right IRL so that's where I'm going! See you there!

Food crazy mamas, I'm there too. I guess it could be worse but I am some sort of competitive eater. If dh eats more than I do (and hello, he should he's 8 inches taller and 60 pounds heavier!) I get really irritable and feel like I have to get more so it's even. And, if he should finish off anything that I think is remotely appealing I get annoyed and if he does it without offering me any, watch out! Rabid dingo alert! It is so stupid. It is not as if he is eating the last whatever-it-is on the planet, I can always buy more or make more. But something feral just wakes up inside me if I think there is any disparity in portion size. So, I'll also be watching the proceedings here with great interest. Maybe we can have a collective New Year's resolution, figure out what it is with women and food!

1jooj - Good luck with the new house and the old house! I haven't checked out your blog but I'm on my way! The farmette sounds like a real refuge-to-be.

cReb - if you're reading along I hope you're all better!

to everyone I'm missing!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#84 of 1084 Old 01-02-2007, 09:36 PM

I just returned from 6 miles, I was only planning on three, but somehow just had to keep going. I love runs like that

Welcome to the new mamas on the thread! And Schatz, welcome back!

okay, kicking baby feet on keyboard, more later. But did I mention I am totally obsessed with fair isle knitting?
#85 of 1084 Old 01-02-2007, 09:55 PM

Welcome back Schatz!

It's spooky here...have we all gained 5 pounds over the past 3 weeks? Do we all use dark chocolate as a secret food-addiction-coping mechanism?

Plady, I used to have that portion size thing in my head, and it was illogical and yet so compelling. I work hard to be very coolheaded about calories and portions and my own height and output, in order to manage my way through tough spots. And I seriously do eat the darkest chocolate I can find (70 and sometimes 85% cacao) on the days I need evening sweets.

I also have learned nothing can be totally off-limits. In fact, since I lost a lot of weight, I get comments whenever I eat...anything. I don't hold back at events. I eat whatever appeals to me, and people see me with a full mouth a lot. I enjoy being seen eating food now that I'm no longer obese. I like people to see me eating and know that I don't suffer to stay in shape. (I run.)

BUT, have you all noticed that the biggest issue seems to be cookies? For me, over the past 2 weeks, it was birthday cake, then pizzas (with the move) then brownies. White flour and sugar. Too strong for me. I'm happily back on the wagon, and the house is stocked with dried beans, brown rice, vegetables and fruits. Shwew. Just two days into eating like a human again, I feel a ton better.

Ran 4.6 today, TM, not at all fast, and followed it with 15 minutes of much-needed Pilates. After almost two weeks, it was time.

And yes, the carpet was glued onto the hardwood. There's still a patch of it under the fridge. We'll get that this weekend.
#86 of 1084 Old 01-02-2007, 09:56 PM

eksmom - e is having poop issues today too - diarrhea and sore bottom, poor boy. i'm thinkin his body is in shock switching back to healthy food...

pumpkinseed - sweets are my downfall too. but i've found i can usually satisfy my craving with a piece of dark chocolate, dipped in peanut butter if i'm feeling extravagant (fyi, this is the sin of choice of runnersworld's nutrition editor, liz applegate). coffee and diet sodas also help satisfy my sweet tooth. with sweeter sweets i just start eating and can't stop.

eksmom - i hear you on feeling deprived. what's helped me is to accept that i can't eat whatever i want and be slim. my genes are all wrong for that. so it's my choice - pig out and be fat or eat less and be fit. however, i discovered over the holidays that this only works if i set up an environment that isn't too tempting. fwiw, psychological research on self-regulation (controlling one's behavior to achieve goals, such as losing weight) shows that self-control is like a muscle that can be depleted with use. so, you're unlikely to succeed if you try exerting more control than necessary in multiple areas of life all at once. better to keep in mind that self-control is limited and try to limit the temptation (such as not buying sweets you don't want to eat). the good news is that recent studies show that self-control can be increased over time with exercise. so, it's good to exert self-control, but bear in mind that it can be overloaded in the short term if you try to control too many things at once. i suspect that this is a reason why new years resolutions often fail - people often make multiple ones or unrealistic ones and become depleted. so if you aim to slowly increase your self-control, you may be able to build that self-control "muscle". note that knowing all this literature doesn't mean that i'm entirely successful at self-control, though!

calicoj - there's a famous social psych paper showing that eating disorders spread in sororities... ita with you about pregancy and dark chocolate too

grnmtnmama and plady - our weight loss goals are identical! looking forward to supporting each other on the journey!

monikita - i hope you keep recovering and doing whatever exercise keeps you feeling healthy.

dh fixed my bike (thank you, dh!) and i was able to bike to and from my therapist appt - i was SO happy to get in a workout! i'm also excited because the dad of one of e's friends, who is also a prof at my univ just sent out an email inquiring whether other people were interested in cohousing. i love the idea of cohousing, especially with my kids' friends! any of you have any experience with it?
#87 of 1084 Old 01-02-2007, 10:07 PM

grnmtnmama, sounds like a great goal!

I have to admit that I gained 6 lbs. over Christmas break. Most of it came back in the last few days. It takes me a couple weeks to notice either a loss or a gain on the scale. I wonder how that works.

BBM, WTG on the walk today! You an me, baby...20 lbs.

plady, good news on the gym! Great idea about all of us resolving to find out what causes emotional eating. I might add to my weekly goal check in any kind of emotional eating I engaged in or fought off.

1jooj, love your blog!!! I bought some dark chocolate to see if I could use it in those gotta binge moments. 82%

cReb, I've been wondering how you are, too!

MissBliss, WTG on the long run! Are you considering a marathon? I'd love to see pictures of what you have been knitting.

Wawoof, that's great info on self-control! I read an article in "O" on Christmas day that talked about this. I was in such a funk that I can hardly remember what I read. I should dig it out again. I have some experience with cohousing. I'd love to tell you about it, but it will take a while to type out and I'm supposed to be making dinner. So I will get back to you.
#88 of 1084 Old 01-02-2007, 10:55 PM

No run for me today but we did have a nice morning visiting BBM and her 2 sweeties. By the way, she looks amazing for someone still in the no sleep mommy of a newborn stage.

Tomorrow, my dc will be in school again and I will get out for a run before doing my holiday "unshopping" (returning gifts).

It's interesting to hear everyone's food issues. My dh and I have opposite foods we can't resist- for me fats like cheese, for him, sweets- so it's as if we can't have anything good in the house. In a previous life, I did health counseling research and one of the "take home messages" from that is that with any behavior change, the important thing is to keep trying even if you slip up. Eventually, something will click and the new behavior sticks with you. I try to keep that in mind, esp after lots of indulgence over the holidays.
#89 of 1084 Old 01-02-2007, 11:23 PM

Hi Mamas,

Welcome Back Hope! I have been thinking and wondering how you are doing. Your kids are so adorable

Jooj, the blog of jooj is awesome. I loved the pics of your farm. I am looking forward to reading more.

Thanks for sharing about the eating issues Mamas, when I lose control, I soooo lose control, if that makes any sense. I hate how food and eating has to always be about a control thing, but it is for me. good thing I have running.

I did 3 miles today, a hybrid of some slow running and the C25K, and I feel tired but great tonight. I am so glad to be running again.

Baby Athena is doing great, she sleeps, nurses, and chills out really well. She gives me a big smile every now and then and it is such a wonderful treat. The girls are still really into her. Amazingly, Athena stays unruffled even when the girl cyclone appears around her. She is going to have some major calm nerves under fire when she grows up

Take care, see you tomorrow ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

#90 of 1084 Old 01-02-2007, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Lots to respond to here...

Schatz, welcome back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmtnmama View Post
and now that i'm working so much it's harder for me to be the food preparation person to make dinners as low fat and healthy as possible.
Yes, ITA with this. I think that if I had a personal chef and didn't have to cook I would be more successful. The couple of hours before dinnertime are my absolute worst. It's like there is something in my body that says it is not going to chill out about the eating until I give it some dinner. I'm not this way about breakfast and lunch. Anyway, I would love to walk in from work and sit down and eat immediately - but that's never gonna happen, only in my dream world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmtnmama View Post
i am not happy with my body, but right now i'm hooked on sweets and hooked on eating whenever i want. coming down off of this will not be pretty, i wish i could just book myself into a spa for a couple of weeks like a celebrity.
Oh yes, I was feeling it today when I got hungry - I just wanted to eat whatever, whenever, and it was more difficult to make healthy choices after the last few weeks of untraining myself on that.

Mandy, good for you for getting on the dreadmill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
Maybe (if the other dingos don't mind of course) we can talk a little weight training. How do you decide what to lift and how much and how many reps etc? I'm still following the old Body for Life routie but there are a lot of machines I don't use and I'm sure lots of muscles too.
I would be interested in this discussion as well. I am going to be starting w/ weight lifting again on the 22nd when my half training program starts. I haven't decided what to do - I don't want it to take a ton of time but I want to get something out of it, you know? FWIW, I usually figure out weight by the number of reps I can do/want to do. If I want to do 3 sets of 10 reps then I will pick a weight that has me just barely able to complete that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawoof View Post
fwiw, psychological research on self-regulation (controlling one's behavior to achieve goals, such as losing weight) shows that self-control is like a muscle that can be depleted with use. so, you're unlikely to succeed if you try exerting more control than necessary in multiple areas of life all at once.
Wawoof, this is fascinating. Thanks for sharing. I have control freak tendencies : so maybe this research explains some things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawoof View Post
grnmtnmama and plady - our weight loss goals are identical! looking forward to supporting each other on the journey!
Count me in too; if I read this right we are all heading towards 140? That's me... although I'm still refusing to face the music about where I'm starting from. Maybe after AF I will get on the scale. I think I would probably be happy at 145 too, but my scale is a little on the low side so I thought 140 on my scale would be a good place to end up. I'm really curious as to how it will look on me.

Well, I have gotten through this day and I have done well with getting back to a healthy routine. If I keep this up through Sunday night I think I am going to reward myself somehow - I need an extra push to get through this first week. I just don't yet know what the reward will be.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page