Is there such a thing as winter running? - January Running Thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 1084 Old 01-03-2007, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
: David Wilcox, the name is familiar, but I know I don't have any albums... something to check out on iTunes... thanks!

I don't know, don't give me too much credit for courage. In some ways I still think that if I had known what I would face I might have kept my mouth shut and not confronted DH about our problems. There have been a lot of times (although not recently) when I just wished we could go back to the old "head in the sand" routine where I thought everything was reasonably fine. Now I see, though, that we are headed towards something so much better, and we are making good progress along that road.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 1084 Old 01-03-2007, 03:41 PM

eksmom - sorry about your neck! i have a history of random injuries too. i broke my front tooth by walking in to a steel pole when i was working in the basement of the library during college. and just last night, i was helping soothe e back to sleep after a nightmare, with my head laying on his pillow, staring at his beautiful face, when his arm popped out and whacked me with my eye open. i wasn't sure i'd be able to see today, but fortunately it's better. hope you heal soon

shanti - wow, your girls are brave (and beautiful)!

missbliss - welcome to the weight loss club, nice hat!

mamabeth - wow, my mom said exactly the same thing, starting about age 10. my mom and stepdad would always point out that everyone in my extended family is overweight, and i'd have to be very careful not to end up a "lardass". i kid you not, that was my stepdad's expression. on top of that, neither of them are into sports and my stepdad always gave be grief about being a jock (to my mom's credit, she supported me). my mom's approach was not to workout, but to eat hardly anything, and my stepdad ate whatever he wanted but was convinced his construction work would keep him fit. both of them now have some midlife weight, which i hope not to replicate. and i definitely hope not to pass on eating issues to my sons! i totally agree with you that it's critical to own the goal of fitness - if it's framed as a parental restriction then of course you'll rebel against it. i think the fear of being fat and by extension, losing parental love, drove my eating disorders, but has also been a motivator to stay fit

hbm - i learned while doing marathons and ultras (pre-kids) that i can't stay slim through exercise alone - it just isn't enough. i have to eat healthy too. i think wellbutrin has greatly helped my weight loss, partially by lifting my depression and partially by making me not hungry all the time. hopefully they won't discover anything horrible about it like phen-fen!

mommabelle - when we had two dogs, i always had trouble running with both of them on-leash. we did make webbing belts for running with the dogs - we used climbing webbing tied with loops at both ends and fastened with a carabiner. Then, we just hooked the loop at the end of the dog's leash to the carabiner or the belt itself (just threaded through the loop) and took off. worked great with one dog/person. probably would work with 2 dogs if they were well-trained. how wierd and sad about the runner's heart attack. i have read recently that running marathons hard increases heart attack risk, but it seems strange for a regular (not weekend-warrior) runner to just have a heart attack like that. however, after seeing my very elderly, alzheimer's ridden grandpa over christmas, i feel like it would be a fantastic blessing to die doing something i love before my body and brain stop functioning... just not too soon, please!

moonshine - hope your endoscopy goes ok

kerc - yay on the job! have you tried strapping ice spikes over your shoes? we used to have some that we got from roadrunnersports.com

modmom - i understand, i also get super frustrated and angry if a kid interrupts my workout. i've mostly stopped running with g in the stroller because he isn't reliably cooperative the whole run. i run in the a.m. and try to eat a 100-200 calorie carb snack and about 1/2 cup of juice an 1/2 hour to 1 hour before my run. haven't had any problem with it, and i definitely feel stronger during my run.

cherylann - sorry about your frustrating binge. i used to berate myself and i didn't help. now i just try to say "what's done is done", and i'll try to do better next time. that way, i'm not adding more negative mood that fuels more eating. that said, i was very angry and resentful about all the crap that my relatives laid out over the holidays - it felt like they were trying to sabotage my health, though i know that wasn't really their intention.

just back from a 5mi run and have to go to a meeting with an admin asst. catch y'all later.
#123 of 1084 Old 01-03-2007, 04:16 PM

Ran this morning sans kiddos. It wasn't too bad. Still plugging away slowly at the c25k. I may repeat this week. Next week is 20 mins continuous running - not sure I can do it. I think it may be in my head though.

eksmom - I hope your neck feels better soon.

Have to think of something yummy to make tonight. Last night was spaghetti and the New Year's Day was Hoppin' John. Both veggie meals - I am trying to get us totally vegetarian, but dh is not too into it.

So sorry about your friends, mommabelle

Shanti - I wish my hair would grow that long. Kudos to the kiddos!!

Trying to keep up and get in the groove,
PM
#124 of 1084 Old 01-03-2007, 04:21 PM

On a side note, I received a gift certificate to iTunes. Any recommendations?

PM
#125 of 1084 Old 01-03-2007, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proudmom View Post
On a side note, I received a gift certificate to iTunes. Any recommendations?

PM
What kind of music do you like?

Yes, about "snottsdale," I am having a hard time getting used to it after living in the south so long, where people at least pretended to be or usually were polite. I can't count the times I've been out wearing DD and had doors shut in my face or dropped something w/ 5 people watching and no one offers to pick it up, people honk if you hesitate 2 seconds at a green light... little things like that, but it really adds up. The sense I get is that most people living here just feel very entitled... I can't wait til DHs post doc is up at ASU, I'm ready to move already! We only picked here to live bc we can both bike to work - it is only 6 miles to ASU down the canal....

Have you ever done anything w/ the east valley ap playgroup (on meetup.com) they have a weekly walk and play date at a spray park in Chandler..... I'm going to try to go to the west valley api saturday meeting (I'm sort of between east and west valley stuff) Let me know if you'd ever like to walk/jog sometime!!!

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#126 of 1084 Old 01-03-2007, 04:45 PM

Eksmom, here is the link to the pic of the binary hat
#127 of 1084 Old 01-03-2007, 04:48 PM

I just posted Split Pea and Parsnip Soup for crock pot and Baked Pasta (Mamabeth-it's not for you, it's full of mushrooms )

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#128 of 1084 Old 01-03-2007, 05:10 PM

eh, mushrooms...wish I liked them. we are making chili and cornbread tonight for the ILs, not that they like anything.

cheryl--your blog was so sweet! I never really enjoyed cosleeping with dd...she is totally squirelly and would wake up unrested. but ds is kinda snuggly...I actually kinda miss him if he's not in the bed!

oh and one more eating question that works..."What do I really want?" is it peace and quiet? something warm? something cold? chocolate? a magazine? I try to figure out what it is and then go for it, at least a bit.

I found some on-sale truffles at the grocery store for the cake! now for the body...
#129 of 1084 Old 01-03-2007, 05:49 PM

Schatz - the guy is a little lucha libre figure that my brother gave me. it's part of the cast of characters that adorn my craft supply table. honestly, it's time to update my blog banner, but i think that we'll continue to use that little guy.

homemade pizza for dinner tonight. and broccoli. mostly broccoli for me cause that's the way it should be.

i'm very excited to have so many other mamas here going for the same weight goal. now i feel like there is much support.

however, my guts are feeling rather unpleasant at the moment and if i ever figure out which one of you sent the bug this way, why i'm gonna.....
#130 of 1084 Old 01-03-2007, 06:13 PM

I am back from my "procedure." Wow, that was weird. I have never had anything remotely like that done. Oxygen, anastesia, etc. So what he could tell me today was that my stomach lining is all inflammed and there was a small little white spot, that he is getting biopsied. Also other biopsies to test for bacteria. So I guess the short answer is reflux. To find out the rest I go back to him in two weeks. Now I can eat and don't really feel like it. :

Aside from trying to figure out how to fix my reflux, I stepped on the scale today since I didn't eat all morning and I did this : So if what it said was true (strangely 8 lbs more than earlier this week), I have 20 to lose. And yeah, I need to get off white flour and sugar. But not today. DD's bday is tomorrow, but since we won't have time to celebrate, we are doing it today. So I am off to back a Six-Minute Chocolate Cake.
#131 of 1084 Old 01-03-2007, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommabelle View Post
I did an outdoor run this morning with my dogs and it was fun! I ran for 40 min with only 2 short walk breaks. My dogs are pretty fast so they keep me going. One of them is pretty well trained and will only run on the left, but the other one we got after kids and she's had no training and I have to watch it or she'll trip me up. Do any of you who run with a dog have trouble with sort of numb hands?
Hands-free leash!! If you can get doggy #2 trained to stay on the left, that is. I have two big (well, one big & one gigantic) dogs that I run with, and here is what I do. Both dogs go on a coupler (it is like two tiny leashes that hook together at the end in an O ring) so they are running side-by-side, then I hook the coupler to a hands-free leash that clips around my waist. The dogs stay running on my left side and I don't have to hold onto them. It rocks! Although when I was running pushing the baby jogger with my two dogs hooked to me, we did kind of look like a 3 ring circus.

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#132 of 1084 Old 01-03-2007, 06:35 PM

calicocj - I am open to any music. I haven't bought any music in a long time. I mostly listen to kid's music and XM.

I like a lot of things about S. There are nice parks, good places to go with children (train prk), nice library system with good programs and a good park/rec program. The phoniness is annoying. It seems like people who live there suddenly found two dimes and want to show everyone. There seems to be more silicone and botox there!

I haven't done anything with the group yet. I know a few members from the API meetings. It is a good group of people - timing jut hasn't been right.

I wouldn't mind meeting for a walk, but I think you would run circles around me at this point. I am getting there, though

MonikitaUT - what kind of dogs do you have? We have a St Bernard, and I only walk her. I am hesitant to run with her due to her size.

PM
#133 of 1084 Old 01-03-2007, 06:49 PM

Truman is a Great Pyranees lab mix and weighs roughly 105-110. He's skinny, but very tall. All he has to do to get his head on the kitchen counter is lean forward. Febe is a border collie mixed with something bigger, probably lab, and weighs roughly 55-60 lbs. I think of her as a mid-sized, but DH says she is a big dog.

I love running with Truman. People do serious rubber-necking when they drive by to see that big dog, and I've often had cars turn around and come back to ask me what kind of dog he is. Sadly, he can't run much anymore because we're trying to keep his second knee from going out. (The first knee was already replaced last year.) Running with Febe is a PIA because even if she just pooped in the back yard before you leave, she always likes to stop and poop while you're trying to run, or at the very least take 15 pee breaks. She's a dork. But I love her anyway.

Thanks for letting me talk about my dogs. I did run last night, he he.

#134 of 1084 Old 01-03-2007, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Monica, can you get Febe to do some Kegels??? lol

Must ... Run ... Tonight. (Must also finish lecture for two classes and submit a proposal review).
#135 of 1084 Old 01-03-2007, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Monica, Febe's behavior describes my female Lab Hannah to a T. Both Hannah and Henry do the pooping thing (I just try to remember what running does to my intestines ) but Hannah marks more than any dog I've ever seen. Goodness. Actually DH is going to try to include them in C25K - which would be awesome for them, as Henry especially is just plain fat. :

#136 of 1084 Old 01-03-2007, 07:02 PM

Proudmom - Have you ever heard of Pandora.com? It's a free music service where you tell it what your favorite artist or song is and then it puts together a playlist of similar stuff that you might not be familira with. It's pretty cool, you can just listen endlessly. Anyway, it might give you some new ideas.

No run for me today. Dh and I were going to go together but it just kept getting later and later so in the end we took dd to the park so we could all earn some TV credit. So far that plan is going okay. I don't want to turn dd off of exercise by forcing her but I can't just keep letting her couch potato out. On the way home she had a non-stop tantrum so I used some of my new Love and Logic tricks on her and it seemed to work! She accepted the consequence of having to take a nap without any real fuss, I didn't even need to stay in bed and hold her. She just sniffed and went to sleep!!! That, mamas, is practically a first in this dd's life!

Moonshing - I hope your biopsy shows up something easily solved! Thanks for the tips on patterned sheets! Of course, I got so impatient last night I bought 12 (!) new sheets from amazon (6.98/ea, seemed cheap to me ) but they're solids. I did think though that I could ask the MT to spray them down immediately with a dish soap/water spray. Maybe that would help keep it all from setting?

Mandy - I like your luchador too. DH went as "Pico Nico" for halloween.
There is a picture in here . For the keen eyed dingo there is also a picture of ND with Athena and her cleverly disguised dd2.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#137 of 1084 Old 01-03-2007, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
For the keen eyed dingo there is also a picture of ND with Athena and her cleverly disguised dd2.
Ok, Plady, fess up. Where are you? I scoped out your photos and I saw that you were skiing at Tyrol Basin. I know ND lives where I live (well, 10 miles away to be more precise). Do you live here too? Do you live in Mexico like your location says? Then I saw your dd described as a Jalisco dancer. Do you live in Jalisco? My dept used to have an exchange program with a univ in Jalisco (Autlan de Navarro) and I've been there a few times. What gives?

(I'm just curious - please indulge me if you will )
#138 of 1084 Old 01-03-2007, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Monica, can you get Febe to do some Kegels??? lol
: Good one!

Girl dogs are so much more masculine than boy dogs, aren't they?

Plady - I just saw in your pics that Thurber passed. He died on the same day as my favorite doggy of all time - Nov 9, 2003.

On weight lifting, I just make sure to work every major muscle group. Like Eks, I do two sets of 12-15 reps at whatever weight makes it really difficult to finish the reps. As I get stronger, I increase the weight. My DH is really into weight lifting, so if I have questions on form or want a new exercise I just ask him. Example? I wanted something to work my butt, so he showed me how to do squats on the stairs while holding free weights. Oh yeah, works the booty good!! :nana:

#139 of 1084 Old 01-03-2007, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonikitaUT View Post
Example? I wanted something to work my butt, so he showed me how to do squats on the stairs while holding free weights. Oh yeah, works the booty good!! :nana:
Ooooh, need more info - how does that work on stairs? I do a lunge/squat with foot of front leg on ground and foot of back leg on couch/table/chair behind me, holding arm weights, and that is good for booty too!!!

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#140 of 1084 Old 01-03-2007, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicocj View Post
Ooooh, need more info - how does that work on stairs? I do a lunge/squat with foot of front leg on ground and foot of back leg on couch/table/chair behind me, holding arm weights, and that is good for booty too!!!
Same thing, different household object! You stand a bit forward from the base of the stairs with one leg back on the second, third, or fourth stair (depending on how tall you are) and do the squat while holding the arm weights.

#141 of 1084 Old 01-03-2007, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonikitaUT View Post
Same thing, different household object! You stand a bit forward from the base of the stairs with one leg back on the second, third, or fourth stair (depending on how tall you are) and do the squat while holding the arm weights.
Ooh, that sounds hard! I'll have to try that tomorrow at the gym. I hope I don't fall over!

Schatz - Yes, I'm an international mama of mystery! Seriously, I live in San Miguel de Allende Mexico where dh and I have a B&B, you can see the scene in some of the open shots with churches and colonial-looking stuff in the background (Spanish colonial that is). My dad lives in Madison and we went up to visit for a week in mid-Dec. I am awfully partial to that town I have to say. Every time I'm there I find myself trying to think of ways that I could split my time between here and there. I miss winter and it is such an easy town to be outdoorsy in (without always feeling like you're wilting in the sun).

#142 of 1084 Old 01-03-2007, 09:41 PM

monikita - i forgot about the coupler. we used to have one, but our unruly female lab would nearly pull our german shepherd's head off to rush around and sniff things. it'd work great for well-behaved dogs, though.

healthy eating thought - i've realized since being home that my best weight control allies are... BEANS! they have tons of fiber and protein and I feel SO FULL for hours after a bowl of beans. my fave easy meal (now my standard at work) is 1 bowl black beans (a can of beans works fine, though we tend to cook them in a cast iron pot to add iron and reduce the flatulence effect through careful soaking) with sliced/grated cheese on top, heated in the microwave. add salsa to taste (safeway peach pineapple salsa is my fave) and eat with a few chips. super satisfying, vegetarian, and easy. fyi, our soaking technique is to put dry beans in a pot, fill with water a couple inches above beans, bring to a a boil for 3 min, let sit 2-4 hours, pour off and rinse, rinse, rinse til there are no bubbles. fill pot with fresh water and rinsed beans, cook til tender. this is the method suggested by our wild oats cooking guide and it seems very effective at reducing post-bean gassiness i also add canned cannelini (white) beans to pasta sauce.
#143 of 1084 Old 01-03-2007, 09:44 PM

Oh recipes!!! I just made something last night that was YUMMY!

One package of frozen cheese tortillini
Frozen cooked shrimp
One container of grape tomatoes
Broccoli
Pesto

All you do is cook the tortillini in boiling water. In the last few minutes add the broccoli and shrimp. Slice the grape tomatoes in half and place them in the bottom of a large bowl. Drain the pasta/broccoli and add it to the tomatoes. Stir in pesto and serve.

It was so easy, healthy and quick. I can't wait to make it again. You can leave the shrimp out for a veggie dinner. The broccoli/pesto combo is awesome. I didn't imagine it would be that good.

Sorry....I would post that to the blog, but I'm about to head out.....I didn't want to forget.
#144 of 1084 Old 01-03-2007, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Po6, that does sound good! I can't remember if I've sent you the email to be an author on the recipe blog; if not just PM me your email address!

Wawoof, thank you, I know now what I'm having for lunch on Friday (tomorrow's is provided at a meeting I'm going to). I love me some black beans. I seem to have this limited mentality when it comes to meals, though. I might want to eat a bowl of beans but I don't follow through because I have never eaten that as a meal before. I hope I am making sense... it's something I need to get over. It's like I have these very stubborn ideas from my upbringing about what is a meal and what isn't. Thanks for the push. Somehow it helps to know that other people eat a bowl of beans as a meal.

OK now that I've totally embarrassed myself...

#145 of 1084 Old 01-03-2007, 10:41 PM

cReb and I were just talking beans yesterday. They are truly a wonderful food! I have been eating black beans this week, and tomorrow, I'm cooking white beans and lamb in spicy herbed tomato sauce. Beans are cheap, yummy, satisfying and nutritious. And we do the boil/soak/rinse plan, too. It seems to help.

No run today, but going to go for it tomorrow. See how fast and how far I can go...(and still get my work assignments done).

Pof6, when we moved in and my TM was waiting on the porch to be moved in, it made me think of you.
#146 of 1084 Old 01-03-2007, 11:12 PM

Darn! I was just trying to post a peanut sauce recipe that I found today and which is awesome, but I can't figure out how to get into the editing area of the blog. . I thought I used to go to the thing that said dashboard but I couldn't find it.
Well, here it is, I found it in a recipe for asian coleslaw on Allrecipes.com:

6T rice wine vinegar
6T vegetable oil (I used 1T sesame oil in this)
3T soy sauce
5T creamy natural peanut butter
3T brown sugar
2T minced ginger (I used ginger paste from a jar)
1.5T minced garlic

I put all the ingredients into an old peanut butter jar and shook it up. It's awesome! It is the peanut sauce recipe I've been looking for all my life! :

Monica - Thanks, he was a good dog. I still miss him every day.

General question - Do you run first or lift first?

#147 of 1084 Old 01-03-2007, 11:19 PM

You know that nursery rhyme Baa Baa Black Sheep? Well, I made up a song called Baa Baa Black Beans and now my daughter loves them. If I'm making something that has black beans in it (and most things we make end up having them in it) she has to have a little bowl of beans while I'm cooking.

I would run first, then lift. I think I remember Runners World suggesting the same thing, but I'm not 100% sure.

#148 of 1084 Old 01-03-2007, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Plady, and everybody else - I upgraded to the "new" Blogger a couple of days ago and so that could be what is throwing you off with the recipe blog. I think you have to change your Blogger membership so that you are also using the new Blogger. When you login, maybe it will ask you if you want to switch? If it does, say yes. Sorry for the confusion - I resisted while it was still in beta but now that it is out of beta I thought it best to embrace the change.

#149 of 1084 Old 01-03-2007, 11:39 PM

Another black bean fan here, esp black bean and sweet potato burritos. My ds used to take a can of black beans and toss it on his highchair when he was teeny. He and dd will still eat them straight out of the can.

I ran 4 miles today, just me and my dog. It was cold enough to snow but alas, no snow appeared.
#150 of 1084 Old 01-03-2007, 11:44 PM

I LOVE beans!!! I like them on salads, too. Mostly I like an entire bowl full of them mixed with super spicy salsa. Yum!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page