Is there such a thing as winter running? - January Running Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-01-2007, 03:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome to all who are interested in forward motion under their own power! All levels are represented on this thread from beginners to experienced marathoners and ultra-marathoners. This thread can move fast, but we'll do our best to make you feel welcome, so please introduce yourselves and/or stick around if you're new. And... Happy New Year to everyone. I hope 2007 brings lots of great moments, running and otherwise.

Below is the race list, posted so that we can keep up with upcoming events for everyone. If you have something to add, just let me know. PM-ing is probably the best way to assure that I see it, but posting is OK too.

calicocj - RNR Half Arizona - Jan 14
kate~mom - Lehigh Valley Road Runners Superbowl 10K - Feb 4
Runningmommy - 500 Festival Training Series 5K - Feb 10
mamabeth - Chattahoochee Challenge 10K - Feb 10
YumaDoula - Great Yuma Road Race 5K - Feb 10
ChamaMama - 10K - Feb 11
kate~mom - UGLY MUDDER 7 Mile Trail Run - Feb 25
Runningmommy - 500 Festival Training Series 10K - March 10
YumaDoula - March On City Finals 5K - March 10
modmom and DH - Shamrock Shuffle 8k - March 25
kate~mom - Nat'l Assoc. of School Psychologists Annual Convention 5K - March 30
Runningmommy - 500 Festival Training Series 15K - Apr 14
2babybees - Glass City Marathon - April 15
CherylAnn - Wenatchee Marathon - April 22
kate~mom - Lehigh Valley Half Marathon - April 29
HBM - 5K - April
mamabeth - half - April (?)
Runningmommy, doctorjen, Balancin1, eksmom - Indy Mini-Marathon (half) - May 5
CherylAnn and family - Pig Jig 5K - May 12
HBM, mamabeth - Peachtree Road Race 10K - July 4 (registration ~ March 18 - fills up fast!)
Runningmommy, Balancin1 - Chicago Marathon - October 7

The Preggo Dingo List
Y'all are falling behind on the crosstraining, mamas... this list is getting short!
sally_Z - June
Po6 - late July

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2007, 05:29 AM

Happy New Year Yall!!!

What fun, a new thread! Thanks Katherine for starting it!

Anybody run in the new year? Kate~mom, were you going to do a run in NY?? I saw one on CNN and was wondering if there was a dingo there?

Not exaclty running the new years in, but I did 11.3 miles today, yeah!!! Now that is the farthest I've ever run Felt good for the first 6 miles and the last 3 miles, but the middle was rough and slow...

Anyone do anything special for new years eve? We celebrated on Eastern time so the ILs could go to bed earlier... I've been stressed about their visit, but they have been great, they babysat last nite so DH and I could go on a date (what a foreign concept...) and then again today so we could do our long run together... And we watched An Inconvenient Truth with them to hopefully plant a seed of awareness in their minds about environmental issues... Speaking of, all yall with crazy weather, just blame it on global warming!

BBM and DoctorJen, I am so sorry about your insensitive family members! I hope things smooth over soon!

Anybody have special traditions for new years day? We're going hiking in the AM, then the mandatory dinner of black eyed peas, collards, and corn bread!

Plady, your plans for the pilgrimage sound really healing and rejuvenating.

Geo are you going to make a little counter for your miles and papers? I want to make something to track them with!

I hope everyone has a safe, healthy, and happy new year in 2007!!!!

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
Old 01-01-2007, 06:35 AM

Wow! Only two posts so far? We just got home from our celebration at a friend's house.

I wanted to tell Penelope, Happy End of 200s*x!!! 2007 promises to be so good for you!!!

I'm going to follow in kate~mom's footsteps and do a counter here. I don't have an ultimate goal for the year, but I'd love to see how far I get.

ETA: I ran 6 today on the TM. Did I tell you guys this already? I just took it super slow and it went way better! It was so helpful to hear that others have the same issue with running on the TM. It allowed me to allow myself a slower run and in the long run, it wasn't much slower and I felt strong the whole time.

Thanks for the thread and the races eksmom! My race is here: http://www.wenatcheemarathon.com/index.htm and is April 22. I'm so psyched about it!!!

Happy New Year, friends! 2007 is going to be a great year for all of us!
Old 01-01-2007, 11:24 AM

Old 01-01-2007, 11:38 AM

Yeah, a new thread! On to the positive!!

Happy new year friends, so glad to have you in my life!!!!

Eksmom, I have a few races to add to the list please. I'm running all the training runs for the Indy Mini. The 5k, 10k, and 15k (I'm pretty sure that Chelsea is running two of these). I'm also registering for the Chicago Marathon (Chelsea?? anyone else?? ) Although, Katherin, you'll probably be "with child" by then.

I have to go finish registering for the Marathon...I'll be back!

Lisa
Old 01-01-2007, 11:59 AM

I'm registered for the marathon!!! Oh boy, I guess I need to run it now!
Old 01-01-2007, 12:03 PM

Way to go Lisa! What a goal.

I need to find a race to get myself motivated. I know I'm doing a 5K in April, but I'd like to find one in February. And this year I'm REALLY doing the Peachtree in July. Anybody coming to ATL for it???

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
Old 01-01-2007, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Happy New Years! I'm starting off the year right -- I'm working. I'm going to do a nap dammit run later today if things work out, otherwise, I'm going to knock off the first three of the 500 for the year on the treadmill tonight.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:06 PM

HBM~half or full??? (after just having a baby, whoo hoo either way!!)
Old 01-01-2007, 12:15 PM

Lisa, the P'tree is just a 10K, but in my perfect little world, I'd like to run the ATL half on Thanksgiving.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
Old 01-01-2007, 12:20 PM

nak. i'd really love to start running. i used to run back in high school but then i got "large". problem is, its really snowy and icy here and we ave no $$ to buy a treadmill. how would one go about running in the winter without slipping? i'm thinking of starting the c25k challenge.

tia
Old 01-01-2007, 12:49 PM

Just subbing but thank you drJen for that blog, it brought tears to my eyes it was so true of this group.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 01-01-2007, 12:52 PM

Happy New Year Everyone!

We're still at the IL's so this will be brief. I am starting to look forward to being home in my normal drudge, so the vacation must have fulfilled its purpose . The part of our visit where my parents were here too was even more stressful than I thought, and I have not been as good as I had hoped to be--too much eating, not quite enough running.

However I have been enjoying running up here where the terrain is not so flat. I did bail on my 10K which I discovered was after dark, and was rewarded when it rained last night. Instead I went for an 8.5 mile run yesterday, my longest to-date. It was really windy and awful and hard but I feel pretty good this morning.

Lisa, I just signed up (gulp!) for the Chicago marathon too! Go us!

Miss you all!
Old 01-01-2007, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
Just subbing but thank you drJen for that blog, it brought tears to my eyes it was so true of this group.
Thanks for the credit, but I think kate~mom posted the link! I thought it was great, too, and reminded me so much of you guys!

I didn't meet my 2006 milage goal - either the original one, or the revised one. I'm going to try again in 2007 for the original goal of 720 miles. With the half training, hopefully I can get it done this year!

Welcome, babygrant! Jump right in here! A lot of us have used c25K at one point or another. It's hard to start in the winter, but if you are doing a mix of running and walking it is doable, and by spring when you are up to more running, it will feel so nice to be able to do it in decent weather!

Off to the Field museum today, and no running for sure. Have to drop Chris back off at college tonight, too. Tomorrow, back to work and hopefully back to regular running.

Happy New Year to you all!
Old 01-01-2007, 01:06 PM

Welcome babygrant! I first did the c25k in February in Michigan. The secret is to be flexible enough about your schedule to take advantage of clear days.

Can you run in the street? The street gets cleared sooner.

Otherwise, if the whole sidewalk is packed snow everywhere, you can invest in some spikes that fit over your regular shoes.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Welcome babygrant! I first did the c25k in February in Michigan. The secret is to be flexible enough about your schedule to take advantage of clear days.

Can you run in the street? The street gets cleared sooner.
the streets are horribly icy. they will be icy and snow till march.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:26 PM

subbing!
Old 01-01-2007, 01:32 PM

Hi all! I'm new and I'm subbing. My goal for this year is to run 150 miles. I know it's not much, but I also work out at the Y regularly, so I figure about 3 miles/week is good enough for now. Maybe I'll revise later. I did the c25k 2 years ago and loved it. I'm planning on doing several 5k races this year, I'll pm with info! Thanks!

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
Old 01-01-2007, 01:34 PM

happy new year mamas!

we had a great day yesterday. after the snowstorm left about 6 inches, the sun came out and it was warm and beautiful. I laid ski tracks in a nice loop around the house (down the back hill, down the back path to the meadow, around the meadow by the stream and up the steep front path, through the neighbors yard and into and around the cemetary, back through the neighbors year and across the drive to our house) and I skied it a couple times but the snow warmed up and became too sticky for good gliding. So I practiced my snowplow in the backyard while dh and ds and MIL were sledding and snowdecking. it was really fun

we had a bit of freezing rain last night, but it doesn't look too bad so i'm going to go get dressed and get the run over with.

babygrant - there are a few of us northern mamas on this thread. we just run anyway even with snow and ice. it's very rarely so slippery as to be a hazard, most of the time there is enough grit or crunchy bits to make running safe. IMO treadmills are terribly dull. but it's your own comfort level. maybe start out walking until you feel confident on your feet...
Old 01-01-2007, 01:35 PM

Oh Kate - i'll try to figure out what is wrong with the shopping cart. might have been host hiccups last night or something. i'm sorry
Old 01-01-2007, 01:59 PM

subbing . . .

calico - no i bailed on the midnight run, i was puking all day saturday and my sister started up on sunday morning - so the kids and i came home early. i am off to a new year's day fun run with the running club though - five miles in 50 degree weather in the rain in pennsylvania - but no, there's no global warming!

mandy - i'll keep checking in on ya the shopping bug is not resolved yet.

happy new year!
Old 01-01-2007, 02:15 PM

Happy New Year everyone! I got back from the beach in FL last night. It was nice. I even ran on the beach. It was fun and I ran farther than I've ever run before however I did have sore ankles afterwards from all the soft sand.
I'm impressed with all your running goals! I just want to keep running 3 days a week and do other fitness stuff the other days of the week. I do want to run a 5 K in the spring.
HBM..there is a 5K at the end of this month in Jefferson, GA..which is just up the road from me.
We had a pretty uneventful Christmas day. Had a few minutes of crazies at Christmas lunch when my Grandmother showed up unexpectdly just as we finished the blessing (she was supposed to be at my Uncle's). She popped in for a few minutes with 2 of my cousins and it was awkward because the table was only set for us and there was nowhere to sit and the food was getting cold. (on any other day I would have just invited them to sit down and eat) Then my brothers girlfriend did the no no of talking politics at the table and said she would vote for a particular candidate that no one in my family would ever ever vote for! Had to do the quick hostess thing and change the subject! My Dad was getting mad! It's pretty funny thinking back on it!
I'm running tomorrow..back in the usual routine. Y'all keep me motivated!
Old 01-01-2007, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balancin1 View Post

Lisa, I just signed up (gulp!) for the Chicago marathon too! Go us!
WHOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAY TO GO!! :
Old 01-01-2007, 03:27 PM

ugh, my website is a mess. and i love the error message that states "there seems to be a slight problem with your database." sounds like there was a server upgrade yesterday and they have some issues - so it will probably take all day to fix

now the good news - i ran a good three miles today. it was warm enough that the ice was melting.

and, my inlaws just left, we took down the christmas tree and have officially declared the holidays over.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:55 PM

Wendy, I made a little counter too! Now it is official and I have to be accountable This is a dumb question, but how do you show progress? Delete numbers and asteriks?

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
Old 01-01-2007, 04:16 PM

subbing:
Old 01-01-2007, 04:19 PM

Callie, I was going to do kate~mom's method of putting the smilie in place of the number. So, when I get a paper done, I'd do:

*:*2*3*4*5

I forgot about the notes smilie. Off to change.

The 1/2 paper markers (*) will be for when it goes to coauthors, if applicable. (1 will be single author, another I'm the last author : )

On the running, one * is 20 miles.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:24 PM

Hi mamas,

Ahhhhh! It feels good already!
I am so excited for this new year, there are so many things I want to do, to accomplish to start. It's almost overwhelming. But, I have a fresh new weekly planner with these beatiful photos of gorgeous places and animals and I have you all to help keep me focused. Thank you so much, every one of you, for being here. This community is so precious to me. I'm sure everyone knows it but I want to be sure.

I am going to set a modest (I say now with 365 days seemingly endless before me) goal of running 468 miles this year. That is only 3x3 per week which seems manageable. I'd like to add some time for kickboxing in this year because I've loved it so much in the past, and I want to devote real attention to weight training, maybe even with a personal trainer for a bit. 34 isn't too old to have a fit toned bod right?

Dh and I haven't had a full discussion about ttc, so don't get too excited yet stalkers! I'll have to first do a good liver cleanse, prepare for the virtually fat-free diet I'll need to adhere to, and find an ob with experience with ICP and willingness to treat me should it crop up. That might not even be possible here, and dh and I for sure haven't discussed the possibility of relocating for the duration of the last trimester if it isn't.

So, today I'm trying to start things off on the right foot by chugging lots of water (although I already forgot to eat breakfast and I'm going for an hour's run when dh returns from his.

Oh, there is a serious kink in my pilgrimage timing. DD's passport expires the day before it starts and when she and dh wold head to the states. They'd be flying and we doubt that the airline would let her on with an invalid passport thanks to the old Patriot Act. So, we're going to see if the local consul can get her an extension but if not I may have to wait until next year. However, the pilgrimage goes every year at the same time so it wouldn't be any less meaningful if I end up having to wait a year. We'll see.

Okay, time to load up the mp3 player!

Old 01-01-2007, 04:26 PM

Welcome to the new mamas! I live in a snowy area, too. We have a foot on the ground right now. But, I've only had a TM for two weeks. Before that I would run right on the roads. I did buy some rubber things with spikes in them for running on ice, but I've never needed them. I would much rather run outside, even with the snowy and icy conditions. I only got the TM so I wouldn't have to deal with childcare issues. Good luck! Where there is a will, there is a way.

I love the 5/500/5 idea! I'm going to copy you guys! I am up a couple lbs. so I have to lose 20 to reach my ultimate goal. I have no clue what a reasonable number of miles might be for a average runner. I will have the marathon training, but that'll be over in April...unless it goes well and I decide to do another, I guess. I think I'll do 1000/20 then.

I have got to figure out a plan for the weightloss. My other goals have plans. I'm going to research food addiction issues. I think I have a problem, friends. I think I am a foodaholic.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylAnn View Post
I think I have a problem, friends. I think I am a foodaholic.
Well, we do have to eat to live! At least it isn't a chore right?
I'm with you too! I've got between 15-20 to get back into my pre-preg clothes and I am DETERMINED!

User Tag List