Running into the Dingo Cafe - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 1308 Old 02-08-2007, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
Some of y'all on this thread who love to plan need to convince me that the logistics aren't that hard!
Eks - It's not that hard! Especially Ireland. That is my favorite place in the world (the fact that some of my favorite relatives lives there really doesn't bias me that much either). It would be a great place to start international exploration, it's small, friendly, beautiful and you have no language barrier but you do get that exotic feel from seeing all the signs in Irish too.
How about training for the Dublin marathon sometime? That's the one I really can imagine doing. Also, once you are in Ireland you can take a local flight over to England or Scotland or Wales (or all over Europe for that matter) for really cheap because there are a few super cheap airlines that fly in and out of Dublin. The last time I flew between Dublin and London I paid the equivalent of $6 a ticket!
I was chatting with my aunt the other day on Skype and she suggested I go there to have this baby. I have to say I'm very tempted!
Hmm, can you tell you've gotten me all fired up?

RR: I'm swimming my run today, I think I'll do some laps and then don the aqua-jogger and 'run' around the deep end while dd has her lesson.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#302 of 1308 Old 02-08-2007, 12:36 PM

Plady, I need to just do it. Hmmm... Dublin Marathon, huh? I'll have to look into that.

The reason I want to go to Scotland is that I traced some of my ancestry back to Isle of Skye. I think I have Irish roots too, still working on proving that, though.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#303 of 1308 Old 02-08-2007, 12:37 PM

Ok, serial posting from me.

Shanti, are you close to Owen Sound? I was having trouble getting directions, i.e. distance with mapquest with Bruce Peninsula, so chose a close by? town. 10.5 hours from here. : Toronto is just under 500 miles, a little more than 8 hours. Do I recall correctly that you are 3 hours from Toronto?
#304 of 1308 Old 02-08-2007, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
Just found this:

Maybe some of you can make it work trip?
:

I like how you think.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#305 of 1308 Old 02-08-2007, 12:53 PM

I doubt we'll be doing a major road trip this summer. Dan will be settling into a civilian job, so we're kind of stuck here. Blegh.

Want to go to Ireland sooooo bad. Maiden name is Irish. I've lived overseas (Okinawa) and we visited Sapporo while we were in Japan. I REALLY recommend going to Hokkaido (the northern island of Japan) if you want to go there. Okinawa... not so much. We also went to New Zealand in the fall of '05 (came back pregnant... hence calling Nevie "Kiwi" until we knew her gender), which was a lovely, wonderful trip. It might be how Penelope describes Ireland -- no real language barrier, but it's still a different country and different spin on the world. It was amazing.

Nerd that I am, I'd also love to take the "Jane Austen Tour of England." Which isn't much, as she only lived, like, two places in her life. But it would be fun for me...

Well, our shipment of furniture is due today. Dan is down at school all day, so I'm flying solo on this while feeling like CRAP on a STICK. I have a headache, I'm nauseated (no, not pregnant), my right shoulder is killing me for some reason, and I'd generally just like to stay in bed all day again.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#306 of 1308 Old 02-08-2007, 12:58 PM

Moonshine, I'm sorry you're feeling so awful. I doubt the 5 lbs. could be caused by one latte per day for just one week. Even if you made it a breve with tons of sugary syrup. I would guess that it is more related to your intestinal issues. You need a break from this stuff!!

1jooj, thanks for the advice. I'll take the extra rest day. Especially because there is more pain in my foot and ankle this morning. It doesn't quite feel like plantar fasciitis. I hope it isn't the beginnings of that. It took me months to get rid of last time!!

I would love to travel to Lake Huron, but it probably won't happen...especially as a family trip. I look forward to all the pictures again.
#307 of 1308 Old 02-08-2007, 01:07 PM

Megs and Moonshine. Hope you both feel better. Moonshine, once this is finally gone I'll bet you will have spent your entire allowance for sickness for life!

CherylAnn - Hope the rest day makes all the difference.

I heard someone once call NZ the Ireland of the southern hemisphere. I'd love to visit there too someday.

#308 of 1308 Old 02-08-2007, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I forgot about all of the geologists - the Niagara Escarpment runs right through this area. Cabot Head IS gorgeous! Our family is actually thinking about camping on one of the islands this summer - they have a program where you can go in and be lighthouse keepers for a week on a small island. How cool would that be!

moonshine - we actually lived im Owen Sound for 7 years. We are 30 minutes from there now - I still go there to grocery shop, see the dentist, etc. When we aren't snowed in, of course :

If anyone seriously wants to come this way, we could probably camp at MacGregor Point Provincial Park - so you can knock about 15 minutes off of your travel time Great beach that stays shallow for a long time, which is nice with little ones.

But this area is far away from everyone and not on the way to anywhere really, so I would also be up for trying to come to somewhere more central too.

We managed to get out again today and found a gas station that was up and running and filled up - and bought every kind of juice imaginable. We are all coming down with a cold and the kids just wanted junk from the grocery store so I told them we could by all the fruit juice they wanted, but no candy. They'll still get that sugar effect even though none of the juice has added sweetner, but it seemed like a good compromise. And since I can't do much schoolwork with them home I have been working on the quilt for dh - I should have it all sewn together by tonight. It will definitelty be on our bed by Valentine's Day. I love it, love it, love it.
#309 of 1308 Old 02-08-2007, 01:21 PM

Getting the kids their passports tomorrow. Now we just have to book our tickets to IRELAND for May. I'll be thinking of you eksmom and plady. It's easier for us because we will be staying with family in Cork and in Galway so our airfare and car rental will be our big expenses.

Must go to Homeschool Valentine's party now. Keeping up with the dingo fest talk. Must run today. I bagged it yesterday because I was cleaning my wood floors that were so dirty.

Talk to you all later.

Patti
#310 of 1308 Old 02-08-2007, 01:41 PM

Hi Mamas,

totally non RR, but, Spot the real baby!

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

#311 of 1308 Old 02-08-2007, 01:56 PM

Sweet baby!!
#312 of 1308 Old 02-08-2007, 01:57 PM

I'm enjoying reading along, but I feel like I have not much to add lately. I make bread too. I love it. I made bread before but then child #2 came along and that was one thing I had to let go for awhile. I have a grinder now and am thinking of branching out beyond the regular ww loaf we use for toast/sandwhiches.

I've got something in mind for my SS!

My Mom has started walking and I'm thinking of asking her to meet me at the park...I"ll run the trail once around and then meet her and walk with her once around.

I'm off for a cup of coffee and finish up some stuff around here.
#313 of 1308 Old 02-08-2007, 02:04 PM

ND, is Miss A busting out of her clothes??
#314 of 1308 Old 02-08-2007, 02:16 PM

Yup, she's officially too big for her britches

ND

#315 of 1308 Old 02-08-2007, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Hi all!! I would love, love, love another dingo fest!! I can't afford to drive too far though, as dh said he probably won't go. It's either me and three boys or just me. I'm making the treck to Chicago in October and that's another expense for me. I want to see you all very badly though, we had sooooo much fun last year!!

RR: leg is doing okay. As long as I keep up on yoga it's holding up. Little soreness, but better. I'm not sure whether to run the 5K this weekend or not as it'll most likely be in the single digits without wind chill.

would you run in that?

Last year it was cold and snowing like the dickens, and it was still a good race, although by cold I think in the 30's.

I think I'll go with the Pfitz half plan, although not 100% committed yet. trying to do lots of yoga, pilates, and my PT exercises.

gotta run, one kid to get a nappin' and the other waiting to play.

Lisa
#316 of 1308 Old 02-08-2007, 02:55 PM

just a quick post here - I'm at the library watching the kids play with the trains and puzzles (bad mom - not interacting : ) -- anyway, I ran this morning 4.5 mi -- it was a balmy ( ) -6F outside with a slight wind. I felt rather smug as I was running and others were driving to work. But at least I ran once during this frigid spell. Dh and I walked last night at the track. And I just checked out a pilates video to give me something to do for the next three days while I'm couped up with the kids (no TM for me).

I forgot to mention in my recent posts that I got new running shoes last week when dh and I had our day together. Woo hoo! $80 shoes for $36. I haven't worn them outside yet cus my old shoes aren't completely shot and I don't want them to get covered with salt and snow - they're so nice and new ya know.

I'll type more later when I get home but just wanted to check in as I'm trying to keep up with everyone! Oh, and my first SS package will go out tomorrow......
#317 of 1308 Old 02-08-2007, 03:15 PM

hi real quick...playgroup at our (messy as usual) house in less than an hour...
I would be up for a dingo meetup fo' sho'. We have good friends in both Detroit and Columbus, so we could make it a swing thru maybe. But I will have to get cracking on some serious preaching gigs lined up so that we could have the $$ to go. flying is almost certainly cheaper again but that's no big deal for us.

I ran about 4.5 this morning and it felt good. I will do a few quick miles tomorrow if I can and then race on Saturday. take care mamas!
#318 of 1308 Old 02-08-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Dingo View Post
Yup, she's officially too big for her britches

ND
Hmm, so am I, but it doesn't look nearly as cute on me.
#319 of 1308 Old 02-08-2007, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
Hmm, so am I, but it doesn't look nearly as cute on me.

Cute baby! I'll have to show dd, she's got the same doll and the same sheepskin, she'll love planning her own set up like that!

#320 of 1308 Old 02-08-2007, 04:39 PM

Love the baby picture, ND.

Did my 5 on the TM today, have not finished the paid work I need to do yet, but I am getting a good bunch of my to-do list checked off. Dd is helping me cook, and I have to get some laundry done. But I have lined up care for ds for the next client meeting, I have done my weekly speedwork (look out fast, here I come! ), showered, and am nearly on schedule. Woo-hoo. Looks like I'll be working in front of the TV tonight (I watch The Office, and I think it's on tonight).

Now, off to do three or four things at once...
#321 of 1308 Old 02-08-2007, 04:55 PM

ugh, work is hard today. I have photo shoot tastes on a 'royalty-free' budget but apparently no one in the entire world thought it good to take a photo like i'd like to see. and then an ugly problem reared it's head so I had to postpone my 2pm gym excursion because it wouldn't look good to saunter out of the building if everything goes down all at once. ugh ugh ugh.

ND - love the phote!
#322 of 1308 Old 02-08-2007, 05:09 PM

Mandy, sorry it's a rough day at work. I know what you mean - now that I am so much busier at work, I have had to give up my lunchtime workouts because I'm afraid of how it would look.

ND, she is sure a cutie, and what a cool photo!

Moonshine, your comment cracked me up, although I really hope that your issues come to an end very soon! Like someone else said, you definitely deserve a break.

re: the mouse under the TM, am I being too generous to assume that it wouldn't run under there in the first place if it thought it wouldn't fit? I don't know too much about mouse intelligence, although I did train a rat once for a psych class. Anyway, I'm glad no mice were harmed in the running of DrJen's workout. Eww!

Plady, I love your idea about the checklist/chart with the flowers and the bee. (That was you, wasn't it?) We hung a small chalkboard on the wall of EK's room at her height, and we are using a smiley face system for the bedtime routine. I got tired of having to make new posters every few weeks. Anyway, she loves the chalkboard, but she would dig the flower/bee thing too.

30 min. tempo run planned for tonight after choir practice. I need it. It will be good to run fast. Lots of emotions to pound out. I am struggling with this feeling of helplessness about my aunt.

#323 of 1308 Old 02-08-2007, 05:26 PM

<==================== oh!!!!!!!!!! My first DDDDC!! Truly made me laugh out loud.

Thanks, mystery mama.
#324 of 1308 Old 02-08-2007, 06:27 PM

Mice and TMs - EEK I am impressed ya managed to keep running

I did 3.5 last night, 10 min split first and last mile, and then ran intervals in between lightpoles (7:30 and 10:30 splits). Today = sore quads!

ND - Athena so cute and getting so big!!

CherylAnn - was it you saying your foot was bothering you? When I was trying to up mileage recently, I would have problems with that occasionally... is it something like plantar fasciatis (not that I exactly understand what that is, but I have a running friend IRL that talks about it a lot)? Maybe rest it til feeling better? Plus, my friend always talks about rolling her foot on a tennis ball to massage the sore area...

Eks - , hope your run helps!

megs - are you feeling any better?

Moonshine - I love your ddddc - now I'm definitely going to make the bread!

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#325 of 1308 Old 02-08-2007, 06:38 PM

1jooj - I love your DDDDC!!
#326 of 1308 Old 02-08-2007, 06:52 PM

Aww I'm loving the new ddddc's...Kerc? you up to no good again

So I think I am going to have to admit that I am having a problem with depression. It's been going on for a long time though. It's just with the new one I can't autopilot through anymore. Sigh. Anyone know of natural remedies? I really don't want to go the route of meds.
#327 of 1308 Old 02-08-2007, 06:55 PM

BBM, . Someone correct me on this, but I think I've heard that fish oil can help and also that a magnesium deficiency can contribute to depression - so maybe a mag supplement? I think I have read that stress can really deplete your mag stores... I added a supplement a while back after all the stress that was 2006. I can't say whether it helped or not - because so many other things were in flux too, and DH getting better was one of them... but I figured it couldn't hurt.

#328 of 1308 Old 02-08-2007, 07:18 PM

BBM, for natural remedies, I use fish oils, Vit. B6, exercise, and sunlight. Also, cutting out sugar and keeping stable blood sugars helps.

I hope you can start feeling better soon

ND

#329 of 1308 Old 02-08-2007, 07:34 PM

bbm - I find that taking a high potency B complex vitamin helps a lot. St John's Wort has been helpful at times, too. I found it draining and exhausting when my kids were babies - all of that nurturing touch going outward non-stop when not much was coming in. I found simple nurturing, grounding routines helped a lot - like rubbing my hands and neck with rose oil a couple of times a day, or massaging my feet and legs with some peppermint lotion. Those are only small pieces of teh puzzle, but they were important ones for me. caring for my senses helps a lot when I am depressed - essential oils, touch, non-Raffi music , good light, joyful colours, good food.
#330 of 1308 Old 02-08-2007, 08:58 PM

Thank you for the suggestions... a few questions

Do you worry about mercury with the fish oil supplements. Do you think flax seed oil would be an equivalent?

B complex - what all is in that. I have some B 6 here from my m/s days.

I just went no sugar today. I have the most horrible headache too from it... But I got on the scale this morning and was dismayed at the total lack of movement. I actually said out loud, "really?" in this incredulous voice. And decided I was ready to tackle my sugar habit again. I'm already salivating at the slightest thought of anything with sugar.

This depression has just been mild (and at times like now - moderate), but for a long time. I had a friend today comment on how she thought I'd always seemed so sad. I immediately teared up to my embarrassment. But it was a kick in the pants. I need to do something. Dd made a comment this morning about wanting to do whatever to make me happy . That was the other thing that gave me the kick in the pants.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page