Running into the Dingo Cafe - Page 13 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#361 of 1308 Old 02-09-2007, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BBM, more thoughts. Re flax seeds. Make sure you grind them because if you eat the seeds whole, well, they come out whole. Also, I know that you said $$ was an issue, but is there any way you can get a mother's helper or something like that? As I mentioned before, I had a sitter come when DD2 was still quite young, and she primarily hung out with DD1 while I kept DD2 in the bouncer or something. I would have let her keep both, but it was cheaper for me for her to only watch one.

On the thyroid issue. I have also wondered if I have/had a problem. My tests checked out normal (even though I had many symptoms indicative of a thyroid problem). I have since read that there are different types of tests, as well as sometimes a problem can be hard to detect. I did the "iodine" test some time ago, in that you put a patch of iodine somewhere on your body (like 3x3 on your stomach) and see how long it stays orange. It should stay for 24 hours. Initially when I did it it was gone completely in about 4 hours. Now I still see something faint after 10 or so hours. I use the patch as my supplement.

Re meds. I fought taking them for a long time. I tried fish oils, B vit, inosotol and 5-HTP, running, among other things that escape me right now. Finally, I gave in to taking an anti-depressant and found the change to be remarkable. That and therapy (both individual and group) for me have been life-changing. I cringe at how I acted with my children (and also husband, but that doesn't cut to the heart as much as the kids) prior to getting any of this under control. I will also say that we are in significant debt, which is largely due to a more systemic problem (waiting for DH's career to take off), but I CANNOT not do these things for myself. I am so very thankful to have made the personal breakthroughs that I have in the past year. I feel that I am less angry, less critical, less depressed, more fun, more open, more easy-going and generally even-keeled than ever before. Not sure if any of this resonates with you, but I just thought I would share.

Ok, must get off here and on with my day. It was thwarted from the beginning because the car won't start, which we found out as I was going to take the kids to Music Together. We got a new thermostat and now are dealing with a partly warm house and partly freezing house. DH's work was canceled for today, so at least he can help deal with some of these things. I have a mess of things to get packed up to ship that I sold (yea!), but am stressed that I have been undercharging as I wasn't figuring in paypal fees, and I can't seem to log into our bank account to set up another paypal account w/o fees. I am giving a massage tonight -- a barter with my therapist for paying for group -- and prior to that I plan on finally going to a yoga class where I work. All good, but I am just feeling stressed by it. And my sister wants to chat sometime this afternoon, and I owe her a response to an email where we are discussing stuff about our family/childhood as we have been dealing with it lately in therapy. I am not exactly shirking, but it is heavy.

Finally, to answer a question that was asked some time ago, I am a massage therapist. I am currently working very parttime (like 0-5 massages a week), all by appointment. I am thankful that I can work that little and it still is worth it. Not too many jobs let you just work an hour at a time and still be worth the effort.

Ok, enough from me.

Happy Friday to all. The extreme cold spell is starting to lift! It is supposed to be a high of freezing today. Yahooo!
#362 of 1308 Old 02-09-2007, 01:08 PM

BBM - I hope you find something that works for you. And if you do go for meds it may be that you don't need them forever, especially if this is being exacerbated by PPD.

Our weather has finally cleared up and I am going to drag myself over to the track as soon as my new episode of Fresh Air finishes downloading. But man, I am sooo tired. I haven't been able to sleep between 4 and 6 am any night this week and I realized last night that that happened in the last pregnancy too. I don't think I ever started sleeping through the night once it kicked in either. But today I've promised myself a long afternoon nap and dh is going to pick dd up from school and take her out to the country so I'll more or less have the house to myself.

I am planning to run though, regardless of sleep deprivation so wish me strong will mamas! I'm going to need it!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#363 of 1308 Old 02-09-2007, 01:23 PM

Hi Yall - TGIF!

I'm actually about to leave to go to my endocrinoligist appointment, and so it seemed like a good time to jump in on the thyroid thing... I was exhausted, depressed, no motivation, crying, anxious, etc... all the time after DD was born, which I thought was normal for having a babe, etc... but when I went for my well woman exam, she noticed my thyroid was enlarged, and they did all the blood tests and the levels were off the charts, diagnosed w/ post partum thyroiditis, like mommabelle mentioned... anyways, on synthroid now, I saw an immediate effect in more energy and more level emotions, which has cycled into more exercise, weight loss, etc...

So, BBM - all this just to say that maybe it wouldn't hurt to get it checked out again, since the pregnancy may have thrown your system out of whack! And if you get the test, do the whole thyroid panel (T3, T4, uptake%) not just TSH, since that can be misleading. I hope you feel better soon

to everyone! and Yay on all the running going on! none to report here yet today

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#364 of 1308 Old 02-09-2007, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
: : I just have to say that there was actually some for over 2 minutes this morning!! It has gone back behind a cloud, but there was actually sunshine briefly!! It felt so good. Maybe this crazy weather will end soon.......
#365 of 1308 Old 02-09-2007, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Would you run a 5K in 5 degrees (minus something with wind chill) ??
#366 of 1308 Old 02-09-2007, 03:34 PM

rm-- no. : unless it was totally for fun...no time goals, etc. and there was hot chocolate at the end. but let us know!

I have to tell y'all...every time I have been depressed, it's been spring. I wish I could enjoy the season, but it seems to hit about now, for a lot of us. I wonder what's up with that?

I'm looking forward to my race tomorrow...dh is going to drop me off near the start because parking is wonky and it will be about 30 degrees...I know, balmy for some of you! should be fun...I'm going to just run as I feel and try to keep a pretty hard effort the whole time so I can get a decent time. It's all about the p'tree!

take care mamas.
#367 of 1308 Old 02-09-2007, 03:45 PM

RM - a year ago...probably, now...HELL no! Sorry I'm way to wussy to run in such cold weather...

Mamabeth - I wonder if it's more a factor of end of winter, not enough light etc. What I've been dealing with has lasted a lot longer though...but definitely has worsened this winter.

Balancin - guess what? as coincidence would have it, my friend was going to TJ today...so she's picking me up some of that stuff...
#368 of 1308 Old 02-09-2007, 04:03 PM

BBM -- so glad you are getting good insight from the other ladies on this board. That's what I think is the best of what MDC can do for folks ('tho, in some spots, it can do quite the opposite, but that's another story).

I have a question for all you mamas -- probably should post this in LWaB, but I don't trust that I won't get some crazy lady responding to me. Anyway -- one of Nevie's nipples looks a bit inflamed and it's really pink/red. The other one is a normal, baby nipple (just the divot on her chest). What's going on there? I tried to Google for information, but all I got were breastfeeding hits and something very, very nefarious-looking.

No RR. Still trying to lay low a bit and knock out this cold or whatever it is before my interview tomorrow. But, if I feel at least as good as I do right now, I'll be fine. I just don't want to get worse.

And yeah, I heard that Anna Nicole Smith had died. I immediately got so sad for her little baby. She may have been bonkers, but that baby is here now. I had a not-so-fleeting wish that it could just be adopted by some boring, wonderful family in the midwest and grow up never knowing all the sadness in it's little life so far.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#369 of 1308 Old 02-09-2007, 04:08 PM

I've decided that I need a goal so I'm going to plan on running this 10K
http://www.active.com/event_detail.cfm?event_id=1394670
#370 of 1308 Old 02-09-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_BK View Post
I have a question for all you mamas -- probably should post this in LWaB, but I don't trust that I won't get some crazy lady responding to me. Anyway -- one of Nevie's nipples looks a bit inflamed and it's really pink/red. The other one is a normal, baby nipple (just the divot on her chest). What's going on there? I tried to Google for information, but all I got were breastfeeding hits and something very, very nefarious-looking.
Yikes, I can imagine what kind of hits you were getting. Could it be something like a pimple? I vaguely remember Chiara having some sort of nipple issue at about the same age. I think the decision handing down from a rather snooty homeopath was that I was having some hormonal shifts about then and it was passing through the bm and coming out in her nipple. Does it seem to bother her?
Hope you both get back to normal fast.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#371 of 1308 Old 02-09-2007, 04:24 PM

Go, Janessa! You're inspiring me... I'm looking for a couple to register for now.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#372 of 1308 Old 02-09-2007, 04:26 PM

Janessa, I just added your race to the list!

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#373 of 1308 Old 02-09-2007, 04:26 PM

I haven't been around much this week. My dad is in the hospital. He has been there since Tues evening-he has pneumonia and very low blood counts. He has had four transfusions and his counts are just starting to come up. They cancelled his chemo for Monday. He is bummed-hates hospitals-and really hates the food I was able to go see him on Wednesday-and my dh is going to see him on his way home tonight. They aren't sure when he is going to be able to go home. He still has quite a bit of fluid on his lungs so they are going to have to do a lung aspiration this afternoon. Ouch. I did get to meet his doctor who seems like a great guy. He is at a fantastic teaching hospital-so he has been loving all of the extra exams Lots of "hey-do you mind if I look at that too"

Running related-I actually went to the Y this morning with K and ran 3.2 miles! If you guys remembered-I had tried quite a few times last summer/fall and only made it 10 minutes with K being at child watch before hearing her bawling-I NEED MY MOMMY! Today was much better-she didn't want me to go at first-some tears-but then she was fine and I asked her if it was alright for me to upstairs and run for a little bit and she said yes-so I went quickly! I know everyone around me thought I was nuts because I kept hopping off the treadmill every 5 minutes or so to make sure she wasn't crying. They said she only started to cry a few times and was fine shortly after. Everytime I checked on her she was okay-so I think I will keep trying to take her to see if it gets better.
#374 of 1308 Old 02-09-2007, 04:34 PM

Oh, Pumpkinseed, prayers for your dad, you, and your family. Maybe you can sneak him some yummy food? Congrats on getting a run in, I bet that was great stress relief for you. K is growing up!

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#375 of 1308 Old 02-09-2007, 05:40 PM

Pumpkinseed

Have to tell you a cheap easy pick me up. One of my friends in my old neighborhood was Indian and she always made homemade chai. She put so much ginger in it that the first time I had it my throat burned, but I got used to it after that. It certainly lifted my energy for a least a little bit afterwards. I'm not sure how it affects babies and breastfeeding though. I still make it on low energy days.
#376 of 1308 Old 02-09-2007, 06:07 PM

Mommabelle - that Chai sounds GOOD!

Megs - hope she gets back to normal soon!

Janessa - that race sounds fun! Do you get green beer at the end (or along the way : )???

RM - that sounds crazy! I don't even go outside in that cold of weather

Pumpkin - thinking about you and your dad

#377 of 1308 Old 02-09-2007, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicocj View Post

Janessa - that race sounds fun! Do you get green beer at the end (or along the way : )???
I don't drink beer : :

I honestly picked it cause it starts at 4pm I'm the worst morning person out there : all the 9am starts scare me
#378 of 1308 Old 02-09-2007, 06:38 PM

4 pm would be a great time for a race start!

sitting around, waiting for K. to wake up so that we can go swimming with his friends. i've been trying everything to gently wake him, and nothing!
#379 of 1308 Old 02-09-2007, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janessa View Post
I don't drink beer : :

I honestly picked it cause it starts at 4pm I'm the worst morning person out there : all the 9am starts scare me
Thats a good reason too

#380 of 1308 Old 02-09-2007, 08:20 PM

pumpkinseed,

RM--I would be of mixed minds about the race. If I was feeling good, the cold would not bother me but nursing an almost-injury as you are, maybe this would be a good one to sit out? I am finding running outdoors in this weather to be brutal on my legs.

BBM-- that is a whacky coincidence. I hope they help you. I take one a day, I have never needed to take more to start feeling just that little bit over the hump. I hope you regain your brightness soon, I know just how it feels when it just is a little bit too dark.

Megs, no advice, but it sounds like it could be a million benign things.

Sorry to skip everyone else, but I have to figure out what to do about dinner. I may order in It has been a rough cold day and I've (we've) been eating leftovers all week. DH went grocery shopping, but what he cooks and what I do are so different... But maybe we have some pasta or something. Sigh. Maybe I'll try some ginger tea, mommabelle, that chai sounds awesome for a day like today.
#381 of 1308 Old 02-09-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawoof View Post
I'd like to start swimming again too, but I'm afraid of the hardcore morning masters group and I have trouble motivating without a group. So, may stick to spinning for now.

Hope you all are well.
Don't be afraid of the Masters . Our group, and my sister's Masters group always has a lane for those of us who "aren't so fast". I really love having a set workout and other people to swim with.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#382 of 1308 Old 02-09-2007, 09:05 PM

mommabelle--I keep forgetting to say that I'd love to meet up sometime soon. I may have been the cause of HBM's sickness : so when she's feeling better??? we have some lovely coffee shops (non-SB, although I am a closet SB fan )

bbm--I hope I didn't come across as saying, oh, it's just the seasons or whatever...I know you're dealing with more than that. Just as I get older I am starting to see a certain cycle happen over the year, at least for me.
#383 of 1308 Old 02-09-2007, 09:33 PM

dd and dh are off to the sweetheart dance! I"ll have to post a pic, but I'll have to figure out how!

Here's how my friend makes the tea. She gets what looks like a 1qt saucepan and put some water in there and throws in some black tea as it starts to boil. While she's waiting for it to boil she takes3-4 cardmon pods and crushes them once under a small cutting board..does the same with 1 stick of cinnamon..grates up a big chunck of ginger and then throws it all in the pot with the tea..then she adds some cloves, 2-3 and sometimes some mint leaves...cookes it up for bit (5 min?)..and then adds in some milk..quite a bit..sometimes she adds in vanilla soy too. She does put in some sugar..but probably honey would work too. I'm wondering if just mint and ginger with the milk and honey would taste good..I might have to try that!

MB...yes ..let's do wait till HBM feels better! I didn't know you were still sick HBM.
I'm a much too huge fan of coffee.

Well off to hang out with ds..kinda of fun actually with just the 2 of us!
#384 of 1308 Old 02-09-2007, 09:39 PM

i signed up for a swimming lesson for myself! i can 'swim' but not efficiently. this is pretty exciting for me.

tomorrow dh is headed up to the Northeast Kingdom to set up at a winter mountain bike race. there's a bunch of snow and it's supposed to be cold and windy, but thirty-five people have signed up to race 30 miles. brrrrr. he's going up to provide mechanical support, tubes if people need them and shake hands and kiss babies.

off to make a list for him.
#385 of 1308 Old 02-09-2007, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post
Would you run a 5K in 5 degrees (minus something with wind chill) ??
yep :
#386 of 1308 Old 02-09-2007, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommabelle View Post
MB...yes ..let's do wait till HBM feels better! I didn't know you were still sick HBM.
I didn't go back and read, but I can't remember posting it either! :
Mamabeth, have you got some psychic stuff going on? I've got a yucky sore throat and congestion. I'm fighting it hard with zinc and e'mergen C. I haven't run since Tuesday, but I'm hoping to in the morning and on Sunday afternoon. Does anyone know why you always feel worse in the mornings and evenings when you have a cold?

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#387 of 1308 Old 02-09-2007, 10:35 PM

I didn't get my run today. As it worked out, dh called this afternoon and picked up the kids so I could work late. so I worked until 5:15, came home, cooked dinner, cleaned up afterward and now here I am at 7:30. Still have to enter my timesheet, and I am doing a favor for my boss this weekend, so I have some reading to do tonight.

I mean, as much as I need a run, my family needs my income more right now.

We're having a horrible evening though. If I could, I would run away. Dh just left for a store, and dd has been howling and causing mayhem since I got home. She had a long nap today; she's just being unbearable.

Everyone is pretty unbearable in this house tonight.
#388 of 1308 Old 02-09-2007, 10:50 PM

Jo - Quick! Escape to the barn to hang with your sweet ladies! I hope your evening gets better. May DD go to sleep soon.

I have a SS question: When is the official end of SS? You may wonder why I am asking that, already, when we just started, but I'm highly organized and anal and am planning my secret somethin' somethin's with what to send when, etc. and how many days to wait between mailings.

I had a nice afternoon getting my hair done and my car detailed. I feel so bad for the people who had to clean my car. DD eats a snack on every car trip. She's 2. You can guess what my backseat looks like. : But it is so shiny, slickery nice now. I drove home with great hair and a stylin' ride. What can be better?

I'll run with the :s later tonight when Little Miss goes to bed. My big, bad, stink dog tried to make a break for it while I was gone this afternoon. DH left the gate open, not realizing Truman was outside. DH called him, and he peaked his head around the corner of the gate, so DH went to get him and : took off running. DH was so frustrated he almost just let him go. Hearing about it made my heart drop, including the part where T-dog almost got hit by a car. I would so hate to lose my gigantic, disobedient dog. (And I'd hate to think of the damage he'd do to someone's car.) DH finally did the smart thing and got our other dog, and let her go get him. Truman just has this problem of not coming when he is called, especially for DH. And when he senses he has freedom, he wants to play. So he'll let you get within 3 feet of him, then jump around all lurpy and run away, thinking it is the funnest thing on the planet. Thank the Universe that Febe can herd.

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#389 of 1308 Old 02-09-2007, 11:52 PM

I'm having a hard time keeping up with you ladies!

We're packing up the whole clan in the am to head off to Albuquerque so mama can run on Sunday. Somehow I think I'd get more sleep the night before if I were by myself, . But ds's b'day is Monday and he really wants to go to the zoo. I still don't feel ready to run. I had a lousy run yesterday. Was supposed to do 5 mi, but except for the first 2.5, the run sucked. I dragged my body thru the whole distance, but did a lot of 30 sec walking breaks. I'm hoping that it was just because I had been sick the day before with a touch of the stomach bug.

And no, I definitely won't run if it's 5 degrees, but since we're in a mini-heat wave here (55 today), I don't think I'll need to worry!

BBM, . Omega 3's have definitely helped me (Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega), as does lots of sunlight, exercise, and sleep. This mommy deal is just so hard on all of us in so many ways.

Pumpkinseed - hope your dad gets to go home soon. Most hospitals will let you sneak in some food unless there's major dietary restriction.

Monikita, I want to get my car detailed and hair done too! What a great combo.

Patti Ann - I'm jealous of your upcoming trip to Ireland! Dh and I went to the west when I was pregnant with ds, and we both want to go back so badly. No way our kids are up to that kind of plane trip yet, not to mention the $$ right now.

CherylAnn- I'm with you on the needing to limit the internet. Between MDC, Cool Running, and the zillions of knitting and yarn sites, I'm in big trouble. : In fact, I'm hanging out here now to try to avoid buying more yarn!
#390 of 1308 Old 02-10-2007, 12:44 AM

Monica -- we have a huge, lurpy dog, too. He did get hit when he was 5 1/2 months old. If he hadn't been such a big dog already, I don't think he'd be here today. He has no real left hip joint anymore (the socket is there on the pelvis, but the vet removed the head of the femur because it was just rolling around in there after the fracture). So... he has a funny walk, but three years later (almost), he's doing very well. Since then, I have been pretty anal about his security, too!

I got my hair cut today. It was great to go back to the same stylist I used to go to here before we moved to Okinawa. Wish I'd had better pictures of Nevie with me! She cut it so well, but put too much nasty goop in it. I wish I were a decent blower-outter so I could just wash it and start over in the morning. I'll see how it looks when I wake up. She cut mucho inches off and now it's collarbone-length.

Getting soooo nervous and/or excited about the PT school interviews tomorrow. I'm ready to knock 'em dead... and then commence the real waiting game. I think I'll try to go for a short run when it's over just to get some of my willies out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page