Running into the Dingo Cafe - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 1308 Old 02-11-2007, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
how do you pick out what to do for cross training (if you do any and I don't mean the fun kind lol) This crappy weather is making me crazy I've been watching craigslist but haven't seen any treadmills (and I'm not sure I have space for something that big either) point being I saw this today
http://columbus.craigslist.org/spo/276909247.html but have never used an elliptical machine before so wouldn't know a good one if it bit me on the butt.

So anyone know if this is a decent one? and would elliptical machine be a good workout to combined with running on the crappy/crazy days?
#422 of 1308 Old 02-11-2007, 06:06 PM

DrJen and Balancin1 I would love to meet you!!

To those who are doing the Green Bay Marathon it sounds great. I love Green Bay.

Well I finally ran outside today!!! 3.5 miles I feel great. I wish I could say it was more fun but I know that will come as I build endurance.

Hope everyone is well.

Take Care
#423 of 1308 Old 02-11-2007, 06:44 PM

We did it. 12 miles in weather that I think ranged from 15-20, with enough breeze to make a headwind that went through my fleece hood at moments. We ended up doing it 11 min miles, which I think was fine for the distance, the weather, and where we are in the training schedule. I came home, put laundry in and ate a big pile of lentils (and goat), which I hadn't planned on eating but it smelled so yummy, and yup. It was.

I'm still chilled, likely will be until sometime tomorrow.

Janessa, I ONLY do the fun xtraining. Lots of it. I'm not even joking. I ride a bike in summer, but for transportation, not training.

B1 and Plady, thanks for your thoughts. I think anthropomorphism has a lot to do with our feelings about animals. A friend brought up dog breeding and I kind of went freak-o on him because I have strong opinions...anyway, we had some wonderful, and I think generally very happy, barn cats growing up, and I think I want to hear that I'm not cruel for choosing outside animals. I'm compassionate. I think I want to know that it's OK for cats to live outdoors. I'd like to know I helped this cat be happy, you know? And I didn't know about a sheep festival...sounds like my kind of festival! I'm already looking forward to the county fair season. And that's not for months and months.

modmom, Lambeau definitely is the highlight of the GB marathon. I hope their water stations get better. We're back-of-the-pack, so we don't get the best of the crowds, but it was still pretty good.
#424 of 1308 Old 02-11-2007, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Janessa, I know there's someone here who does elliptical instead of treadmill. I think it's pretty similar to running in that if you spent the winter on that it wouldn't take you long to get back to running at all. Go test it out. Spent 10-15 minutes on it and see if it's something you can do.

You're always welcome to use my treadmill as well.

I hope you're feeling better. I ran around our route today and it was *cold*. Maybe we can meet for a neighborhood run if it's still cold next week. The wind was bitter, but not as bad once I got back to my neighborhood.
#425 of 1308 Old 02-11-2007, 06:58 PM

way to go Jo and Reb!

i just ran 8 miles. some on pavement. some on snowy dirt road. some on snowshoe trail. lots of up, up, up and up. yesterday i had a lovely twighlight ski and did lots of arms and abs. this has been a suprisingly good weekend for exercise.

Barn cats - seems fine IMO. our kitty spends lots of time outside, except in the winter. I much prefer it when he's outside all the time. wish we had a barn and cozy sheep for him to hang out with instead of throwing up inside our house. some people don't thing cats should go outside, but there are also people willing to pay $$$$$$$$$ for a posh kitty. that makes me because there are so many lovely kitties that need a home.
#426 of 1308 Old 02-11-2007, 07:43 PM

Rescued animals are the only ones allowed in my house!

I'm knitting up a storm today. By tonight the back of DD's sweater will be done. Woot!

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#427 of 1308 Old 02-11-2007, 09:23 PM

I grew up with a "working" cat who lived outdoors. My parents live in a pretty typical suburban neighborhood, but they have a decent-sized garden, and it was the cat's job to keep nibbling rabbit and the like out of the lettuce. I guess we never thought twice about it. When we lived in NC, our cat, who we still have was an indoor/outdoor cat. We even had a cat door. Now that we are in the city, she doesn't go outdoors.

I feel disgusting. We had a birthday party today and I just ate and drank too much. And there were crazy amounts of kids there, my ears hurt after we left. And next weekend we have two on the same day. :

Janessa, you have me thinking about a rowing machine. DH might kill me, but I really feel like I need to do something. I am currently on a major mission to declutter all the stuff we don't use/need and then have various house projects in mind, so maybe I will create the room for it.

1jooj, setting up the bread takes no time at all. Now that I have the system down, it only takes me a few minutes for each step (which are interspersed over 24 hours). Today my second rise was for about 5 hours because of said birthday party.

Ok, off to convince kids that they need to get a bath and to bed.
#428 of 1308 Old 02-11-2007, 09:49 PM

I've got my third loaf rising right now. It is really addictive. And now i'm trying to play around with proportions of ww flour vs. white.

I got out and ran today! no thinking required, but I was sorry that HBM couldn't join in...she is sick in bed, mamas, so send her some healing vibes, please!

looking forward to the police tonight.... dh is about to jump out of his skin, he is such a sting fan!

ETA: yay for Jooj and Reb! y'all rock!
#429 of 1308 Old 02-11-2007, 10:55 PM

Healing vibes to HBM!

I have a rescued border collie. She's so loving to us and almost all people..but she's seriously dog aggressive except to our lab mix..also a rescue dog. I don't know what happened to her before we got her..she was around 2 years old when she came to our home.

I finally got my ipod downloaded with music..I"m so excited to go running ..I can't wait!

Congratulations RM and MB!!!!

I'm looking forward to a good running week.
#430 of 1308 Old 02-11-2007, 11:20 PM

Good evening mamas...

HBM, I hope you are on the mend soon!

Congrats to RM and mamabeth on your races! You are definitely hardcore. I know I would have stayed home.

1jooj, I think the barn cat is an OK thing. Especially for one who hates being indoors.

Great LR 1jooj and Reb!

Plady, I'm sorry you're having digestive trouble but I am kinda glad to hear someone else has it when pg. For much of the first trimester everything went in one end and right out the other, but I never threw up. I think it's just the way I am wired. Hang in there and enjoy those opportunities to relax!

I tried to run today; 3 miles at half marathon pace at the track. We met my parents there. Our plan was to just let DD run around and play, but my mom couldn't seem to leave her alone, apparently not satisfied with what DD was or wasn't doing. I don't really know, but I could see that it was setting up to look like DH and I came to run expecting them to watch DD and thus interfering with their walk, so I stopped after 1.25 miles. I have been feeling over-the-top anxious these last couple of weeks, and I've been trying to consciously step back and be more relaxed about stuff, so this whole thing at the track was frustrating. I'll try it again tomorrow, though it will be much harder to fit in. I don't know what's up with the anxiety. Everything, big or small, just eats at me. My mind latches on to something and can't let go.

Off to make some more of those awesome RM granola bars...

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#431 of 1308 Old 02-12-2007, 12:08 AM

Great job to all the hardcore mamas. WE ROCK! I got out for 3.4 miles after bringing in some firewood. Didn't get abs in. I must do them tomorrow.

HBM-feel better.

kate-Hope you had fun skiing. Jim took the kids 2 weeks ago.

Have to go get the kids to bed. Just wanted to check in. Hope everyone had a great weekend.

Patti
#432 of 1308 Old 02-12-2007, 12:28 AM

hey patti - dh and i have decided we are absolutely doing season passes at blue next yr - so if we haven't met up before then, we should have no excuses
#433 of 1308 Old 02-12-2007, 12:29 AM

Way to go Mamabeth and RM on your chilly races! And Jo and cReb on your long run! :

I spent last night driving around town trying to figure out what time my race started this am! Stupid me, I thought I knew the time but wasn't sure. Dh and I weren't even sure where the race was, lol!

I woke up to rain, which was what I was dreading, but it nearly stopped by the time we started. And yes, I remembered the time correctly and we found the place just fine. It was a "balmy" 43 deg, but felt much colder to me, probably because of the rain. I felt great nearly the entire way, a bit of nausea around mile 4, but that went away. Dh and dc met me near the finish line which was great, but totally threw me off, and yes, I "lost" the finish line! : It was kind of weird the way they had us run into the field, but then we had to go around the track 3/4 way to get to the actual finish. I came in toward the end of the 10K folks and it was a small race, so it just wasn't obvious at all. Duh! My goals for the race were one, to finish, two, to finish in good shape, and three, under 1 hr 15 min. And my time was 1 hr 5:56! : I'm still in shock. I think I finally feel like a "real" runner, after a year and a half.

Now 2 weeks ago, I couldn't even finish 3 intervals at a 10:30 pace. So is it just the difference between racing and training, or is it the altitude difference -- I live and run at 7000 - 7500 ft, and the race was at 5000? If so, I don't feel so badly about being so slow here in the mountains, and I'm going to sign up for a race at sea level as soon as possible!

Kate-mom, love the pic of your dd!

MegsBK - congrats on your interview going well.

Eksmom - I just made your Pennies from Heaven recipe for ds's snack day tomorrow! Except ours are more like 50 cent pieces..... They're yummy!

Hope your GI troubles pass soon, Plady!
#434 of 1308 Old 02-12-2007, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate~mom View Post
hey patti - dh and i have decided we are absolutely doing season passes at blue next yr - so if we haven't met up before then, we should have no excuses
Ya know, we could always do a regional Dingo meetup. Anyone up for it? :
#435 of 1308 Old 02-12-2007, 01:14 AM

schatz - I like your joke. I am a recovering Catholic due to the absence of change ...

pumpkinseed - s for you, your dad and family - healing vibes his way

jooj - I think the cat would be delighted to live in your barn. It sounds like a good cat setup to me - especailly when I hear about the mice...Way to go on the run!

plady - hope you feel better soon toos

moonshine - I have a batch of bread rising for baking in the am

wtg all the running mamas...no running here - still sick
#436 of 1308 Old 02-12-2007, 02:47 AM

My friend Neal emailed me that he had run 21 miles today, so I figured I could go run 4.5 in the cold, dark, & rain. I got all ready and then couldn't find my fleece ear band to go over my baseball cap. I knew it was too cold to have my ears uncovered, but I also knew I couldn't run in the rain without a baseball hat. The mutha of all inventions? I saw a lone grey and green striped, chunky, knee-high sock folded neatly on the drier. I wrapped it around my head, covering my ears, and secured it with a ponytail holder. Yeehaw! It worked great!

I was the perfect temperature (after that dreaded first half mile) and I completely zoned out. The sound of the rain combined with the whispering sound of my shell rubbing on its self put me in a sort of trance. I ended up running a quarter mile past my usual turn around point, stopped and said "Wait. Where am I?". My dogs just looked at me and panted, saying "We don't know. We're following you!"

Luckily I remembered to put two towels by the door for when we got home, because I had two very wet, very muddy dogs to dry off. Yuck.

I'm worried about my day tomorrow. Can anyone spare some positive thoughts to send my way? : Nothing major.. just work problems and having to go to preschool in the morning, but I'm a bit glum about it.

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#437 of 1308 Old 02-12-2007, 12:36 PM

Ah, 1jooj, crazy time ahead!

schatz, I'm with you on the cats!

I've had wonderful indoor/outdoor cats in the past, but our last experience has ruined us. He might be our last kitty. He's outdoors only now and he will never be allowed back inside. We've tried to find him another home, but no one wants the poor guy. He's very sweet and still gets plenty 'o lovin. Outside.

Good for you, Balancin! I'm glad you are still checking in, though! And 6 miles does not a sucker make.

plady, yuck! I hope you are feeling better today!

Janessa, we are planning to buy a take-off from the Total Gym. I keep thinking I'll do yoga for x-training, but have only done it a couple times. Today may be the day for #3!

modmom, wtg, on the 3.5! I'm still waiting for running to be fun, too. The best part of it is hanging out in here at the dingo cafe!

cReb and 1jooj, great long run! Aren't 11 min miles faster than last year?

grnmtnmama, you are so fit! I think you could do anything!

Monica, can we see pictures of the sweater at some point along the way? Good run! Thinking of you today and hoping that it is going super smoothly.

Moonshine, sorry you feel disgusting. How is your sale going? Are you collecting a pile of loot?

Mamabeth, how were the Police?

HBM, what are you sick with? You need a break, too!!

eksmom, I'm sorry you've been feeling anxious. I get uptight about things like that, too. Your mom was making a choice there, but she might not have seen it that way.

Patti Ann, wtg, on the 3.4 miles! What do you do for abs?

ChamaMama, woohoo!!! Great race! You ARE a runner and you were before this most of awesome of races.

ProudMom, hope you feel better soon!

I did the 13 miles yesterday on the TM, I think...I hope. At one point I paused it and hopped off to run to the bathroom. When I got back, Oliver had messed with the console and was running on it. I flipped! There was no L&L happening at that point. I had to guess how far I'd gone and how long it took me. It might not have been such a big deal if I hadn't had to tell him just that morning that he had lost the privelege of using it because he was mistreating it. Plus, he knew I was still in the middle of my run. So now it is permanently off limits to him. He asked with sadness, "You mean, until I die?" I almost said, "Yes!" But instead I said, "I don't know how long. I'm really upset about this." I feel badly for making him sad, but I'm still steamed about it! Of course it didn't affect the rest of our time together...he doesn't know I'm still angry about it. It seems that he, more than his sisters, will just blatently disobey me. They didn't do much of that and I've never had much patience for it. Anyway, the rest of the day I felt both annoyed that I don't know how far I really went or how long it took me, and badly that I grouched at him so intensely. But, what's it going to take? I think I'm more upset about it because by mile 8 or so, the TM started smelling like it was burning. I checked all around it to make sure it wasn't the carpet. It's definitely the TM itself. This was my only Christmas present. A super-cheap TM to get me through until April. Everyone uses it. Dh ran for 1.5 hours just before I got on it. We let the kids run on it whenever they ask. I think it's great that we can encourage them in this way. But, now? I don't want anyone to touch it! It smelled so badly by the time I finished my run. I was wondering if the smoke alarms would go off. So, I'm totally feeling sorry for myself. It's under warrenty for 4 more months, but what am I supposed to do while it is being repaired?!? Should I get stingy with it? I really don't want to. But it's MINE, dangit!

This is a stepback week.

Monday: Rest
Tuesday: 3 miles
Wednesday: 7 miles
Thursday: 4 miles or rest
Friday: rest or 4 miles
Saturday: x-training
Sunday 10 miles.
#438 of 1308 Old 02-12-2007, 01:08 PM

Super quick post, as Dan is expecting me in the basement with laundry about, ohhhh, five minutes ago.

RR: nothing yesterday. My "at least 20 minutes!" run on Saturday turned into the strongest, fastest-feeling 25 minutes with a 5-minute walk that I've had in a long time. I felt my new Dingoes with me, y'all. It was awesome.

CherylAnn -- sucks about Oliver and the TM. I dunno what to tell ya. I know I'm not going to handle every situation with L&L grace and humor. Sometimes we react emotionally because we're, you know, emotional about it. Maybe search back in your mental files for some idea that will allow Oliver to "pay you back, " either with time or opportunities lost for the time you've spent restoring your TM to full functioning.

OK, one race I am definitely doing: The Rapid Rabbit Run on 17 March. There is a 3-mile and 5-mile route... I think I'll shoot for the 5-mile to challenge myself. It's at my old high school :-)

Race I am tentatively doing: Leprechaun Scurry on the 3rd of March. 5K.

Race I'd love to do, but worry that the training would deplete my milk supply: Bloomsday, 6 May, 12K.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#439 of 1308 Old 02-12-2007, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_BK View Post
Race I'd love to do, but worry that the training would deplete my milk supply: Bloomsday, 6 May, 12K.
Don't mess with the milk supply! No race is worth it - just run vicariously through all the long runnin' mamas until your little one gets bigger. I feel your desire but mama's milk is soooo good through at least a year. Ok, I'll stop lecturing now

Kate~mom - great photo - what are the goggles and helmet for? Does your dd ski? We took our dd last year and she did so well (for a 3 yr old) - as soon as this frigid weather breaks, I've got to go skiing again.

We now have fresh snow too which means I didn't run this morning : (oh, I could have gone to the comm ctr but dh needed some welcoming back time - sorry that may have been tmi even among friends )

Callie - yes, I was listening to PHC while doing laundry. All the jokes were funny but I could only remember the catholic one. Wis Public Radio changed their program schedule and stopped Splendid Table in favor of a replay of PHC on Sunday mornings which peeved me to no end but I'm ok with it now I guess.

jooj - GB marathon (or half for me) could be fun - I love brats. DH could live on brats alone.

Monica - : ing at your headband improv -- glad it worked so well. I've been known to wear socks on my hands instead of gloves.

Sent my first SS on Saturday......shhhhhhhh....

happy monday everyone!
#440 of 1308 Old 02-12-2007, 02:28 PM

I sent my first ss on saturday too
#441 of 1308 Old 02-12-2007, 02:32 PM

Schatz... thanks! It's nice to have some BTDT mamas to pull my reins back a little bit. I plan to try and nurse Nevie, at least a little each day, until she's 2, so I shouldn't dork it up. We'll see what happens when I go back to school in the fall. It sounds like it will be extremely challenging and time-consuming, so if I can keep nursing I'll be so excited. haven't had any supply issues yet. Trust me -- I know how important the mama milk is. I'm wayyyy militant about this issue. I pity the fool who ever tries to shame me in public for nursing, if that ever happens.

OK, I'm totally rambling now. I want to get a row in later today, but priority is getting some important errands done -- like get Washington drivers' licenses so that our auto insurance doesn't get cancelled. Yikes! And Dan has about 5 tapes of his distance class to watch, so I'm trying to give him the space & time to do that. He gives me so much...

Case in point: why I love my husband. Bedtime with Nevie was getting tricky. OK -- it just IS tricky. Out of ideas last week, I tried a very very modified Ferber-ish routine at the recommendation of my sister. It only took about 5 minutes (with me responding every 45 seconds or so, but not picking her up) for Dan to say "NO. We are NOT doing this." I feel kinda crappy for even trying it, but I think I needed that wake-up call to get my senses back about how my little family will be handling the sleep situation. I love that my husband brings me back to center.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#442 of 1308 Old 02-12-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post
I sent my first ss on saturday too
Me too. I chased down the mail carrier to do it. In my slippers. In sub 15F temperatures.

Sprinter indeed.
#443 of 1308 Old 02-12-2007, 02:40 PM

Hey ladies, can I join you? I am not a hard core runner or anything, but I started running last year (it was my 2006 resolution to be able to run 3.3 miles by my 33rd b-day. It almost killed me, but I did it!). The most I have ever run (without walking breaks) is 3.75 miles. I am now preggo and have been on a running hiatus since Christmas (darn that morning sickness and first trimester exhuastion). I went out running yesterday and went 3.5 miles but walked most of it - I was only able to run for 1.5 miles split into 2 bouts. Ack. Kinda frustrating to have back slid so much. But any running is better than no running. Running is really hard for me, but I do love being able to get out there and do it (plus our dog is a pitbull/boarder collie mix and he NEEDS me to run with him). Anyway, I look forward to chatting with you mamas.
#444 of 1308 Old 02-12-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_BK View Post
Schatz... thanks! It's nice to have some BTDT mamas to pull my reins back a little bit. I plan to try and nurse Nevie, at least a little each day, until she's 2, so I shouldn't dork it up. We'll see what happens when I go back to school in the fall. It sounds like it will be extremely challenging and time-consuming, so if I can keep nursing I'll be so excited. haven't had any supply issues yet.
It's quite possible you won't have problems. Be aware that some people struggle when they up the miles, but it's not set in stone.
#445 of 1308 Old 02-12-2007, 02:41 PM

Emily. Welcome! A lot of us did the m/s run through pregnancy thing.
#446 of 1308 Old 02-12-2007, 02:53 PM

CherylAnn - Argh, I feel your annoyance. That scenario would definitely have me feeling the same way. I don't know what I would do about sharing the TM or not. That is a tough one, but I'd definitely bring the burning smell to the attention of the company before 4 months is up! The only possible good thing if it dies while still under warranty is maybe you could trade up for a tougher one now that you know how popular an item it is!

Monica - Sending positive vibes your way.

Chama - WTG!

Eks - Likewise, I'm relieved to hear that you had this! My midwife friend was really surprised to hear I thought it was pregnancy related. She thought it was a response to a really nasty email my brother sent me, which it may well have been in retrospect. Anyway, I did take some of the old flower essences to help me stop obsessing over the email and it seems to have helped. In case you are interested, the ones I have for more or less stopping dwelling on stuff are: oak, aspen, ollive, mustard, mariposa lily and white chestnut. I'm sure that some of those are more specifically for letting go than others but I think they usually say on the bottles what they are for.

So, today I am feeling a lot better. Food is staying put and I could actually get up and make breakfast today. I should run but :.

Hi Emily! When are you due?

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#447 of 1308 Old 02-12-2007, 02:55 PM

Free shoes

Ryka Nitracel size 8.5M. Plady sent these me free but the toe box just isn't wide enough for me. I'd like to pass them on free to anyone that thinks they might work for them. They are very nice. I wore them for one run.

pm if you'd like to try them
#448 of 1308 Old 02-12-2007, 02:56 PM

Emily...I'm recently unpregnant and it is hard. But just remember, getting out there is enough. Don't worry about the miles. Focus more on just getting out there and moving. And it will come back after. There are a lot of mamas on this thread who were running before, some during, and resumed after.

Megan - I didn't have any problems at all after dd was born...but I know others who have. Just drink lots of water to stay hydrated and pay attention. You'll know what is doable. I love that your husband is so cool about sleep parenting. Dh struggles a little in that area. I really have to be the strong one and then he'll follow my lead. But when I'm weak...sigh.

Geo- hee hee...rock jock sprinter mama!
#449 of 1308 Old 02-12-2007, 02:59 PM

glad you're feeling a bit better, plady! I also had the other end problem in pg, vs the pukes most of the time. I've been meaning to ask you if you want the dingo running preggo clothes??? they are just sitting in my drawer returned from HBM and I won't sell them. maybe we can just pass them around? let me know.

welcome dctexan! I think I posted to you a month or so ago about a pg marathon or half? I ran through my preg, but definitely not every day, very slowly, and for a max of 6 miles (usually only 2 or 3).

babe needs attn, gotta go.
#450 of 1308 Old 02-12-2007, 03:06 PM

Janessa, I'd like to try the shoes. My hip tells me it's time for new shoes.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page