Running into the Dingo Cafe - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 1308 Old 02-13-2007, 12:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_BK View Post
And... as I was writing this post, I received a phone call from a faculty member at one of the PT programs to which I applied... and I'm IN!
yay!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#482 of 1308 Old 02-13-2007, 12:34 AM

Megs, congrats!!! Are you still waiting on responses from other schools? Since you are the rowing expert on this thread, maybe you can offer an opinion on this?

poppy, check out craigslist. Janessa inspired me the other day, so I started looking. There are LOTS of people getting rid of treadmills. Some fairly cheap too.

Geo, I say run and way you damn well want to.
#483 of 1308 Old 02-13-2007, 12:35 AM

Thanks Wendy. I needed a laugh.

I've done yoga naked in my basement before, on a hot summer night, but never tried going bottomless on the treadmill. Can I ask? Why?

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#484 of 1308 Old 02-13-2007, 01:07 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
You just never know which way a Dingo conversation is going to turn, do you?

: : : : :
#485 of 1308 Old 02-13-2007, 01:12 AM

MonikitaUT - huge s

Hmmm - I would probably need shorts to prevent chafing. I have thigh issues. Now the rowing machine, I would probably do.

I "think" I want a treadmill, but I am stuck on where it would go. Plus I like the time outside by myself...

Congrats, Meg!!!!

PM
#486 of 1308 Old 02-13-2007, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proudmom View Post
Hmmm - I would probably need shorts to prevent chafing. I have thigh issues.
:

I would probably try it once though, just to see if it was good as I think it would be.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#487 of 1308 Old 02-13-2007, 01:26 AM

kerc - I've had good luck with diflucan. I've used Newman's protocol, but also have luck with lower doses (200mg a day first day, 100 mg a day for 2 weeks) and also treat the baby (6 mg/kg day one, 3 mg/kg for 2 weeks) Also, replace any artificial nipples you use - especially if they are latex (I can't remember if she takes a bottle at all?) Newman's all purpose nipple ointment also works great for pain relief even if it isn't needed for the treatment (getting a pharmacy to make it for you is occasionally a problem, but most independent pharmacies make it for me with no problem.)
On the nuvaring, I haven't tried it yet for a breastfeeding mom. It does contain estrogen, so has the same potential risk to lower supply as the pill, but it is the lowest dose out there. I have used IUDs, even hormone containing with no notuceable problems. The progesterone only pill is more sensitive to user error than the combination pill. I've used combination pills in breastfeeding moms, but to be honest, I've seen a lot of moms wean shortly thereafter. In my practice, breastfeeding duration is short by MDC standards anyway, so I don't know if this is a correlation or a cause/effect situation.

I'm sitting here sipping yummy tea and eating yummy organic dark chocolate from my SS while I type. Definitely a great end to a long day!

I've kind of fallen off the training wagon. Technically, I've only missed one run, but it was supposed to be a race, so it was kind of a key workout I think. I haven't run since Thursday, since Fri and Sat were supposed to be off days to prepare for Sunday's race, and then today was a recovery off day. We'll see how this week goes. I am so freaking tired of cold weather and I'm definitely suffereing from some seasonal affective component. I need the sun! Supposed to be 6-8 inches of snow here tonight and I'm not looking forward to it. I'm done with winter.

On the plus side, my birthday is Wed. A patient today was complaining about getting older and I said "oh, I know, it's my birthday this week too!" and she said "so what are you going to be, about 47?" I'm going to be 36! My nurses all spent the rest of the afternoon assuring me I don't look 47, but geez!
#488 of 1308 Old 02-13-2007, 01:33 AM

Happy early b'day Jen! You DO NOT look 47, I promise.

I'm behind you by one week in the training schedule, but I have been wondering what I would do about the race. There are none I can run here. I'm not sure I have the motivation to really give it my all for a solo 5K effort. I will probably just run 3 easy on Sat. and Sun. both, and be done with it.

Anyway, I didn't make up my 3 mile pace run from yesterday. I WILL run tomorrow. I will... you too, Jen?

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#489 of 1308 Old 02-13-2007, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

I run on the TM in sports bra and shorts shoes etc. Too hot inside to wear shirt over that though. Love how you ladies think!!
#490 of 1308 Old 02-13-2007, 07:50 AM

Hi everyone,
I just started running again after many years and it is feeling great!
I am still working up to running for an extended period of time and just hope I can stick with it. I feel in my heart that I will keep it up (it's been over a month now since I started) but I do fear that some unexpected circumstance (being a mom) will cause me to put running on the back burner. I've been reading your posts for inspiration and wondering if anyone has any advice on how to keep going.
Thank you!
#491 of 1308 Old 02-13-2007, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

snowed in, 600 closing in the area. up to a foot of snow (on top of what we already had) and freezing rain. Worried about dh driving to work and getting home.

new members to the group!!! You'll love it!

Getting my SS stuff out when the weather clears, so sorry for the delay. I'm all set though with my stuff to keep it going out pretty steady. I'm sorry to ask this again, but what was the end date so I can plan accordingly? I love hearing that packages are going out and when and what everyone is receiving!! FUN!!

okay, getting on the TM a little late since school is closed I don't have to rush (and had some trouble sleeping last night) but still would like to get done so that I can play with the kids when they get up.

Have a great day ladies!!

Lisa

ds1 just got up and asked about school. When I told him no school, he said "yay, we get to play legos all day long!! but two times we have to eat" love how kids think!!
#492 of 1308 Old 02-13-2007, 09:09 AM

When my kids were home from school all last week (and half of the week before) they played Lego, dollhouse, out in the snow, dress-up, etc - but they had to eat at least two times every hour. Geesh.

I think we talked about winding up Secret Sprinters around March 10 - so we have about a month. I am sending something little out this morning and have a few fun ideas lined up for the next little while.

I have huge blisters on my heels after yestdersay's ski so I think I am going to have to stick to yoga for the next few days. dh and I agreed to skiing on a flatter trail next time so I can spend more time upright .

to all of our new freinds on this great thread!
#493 of 1308 Old 02-13-2007, 09:17 AM

My kids did legos when school was closed too...but mostly they pull apart the furniture and make "ships." And mine are more the type to forget to eat.

I'd have to wear my bottoms on the TM, most definitely.

I got the first part of our tax refund yesterday--wee! I mean, it's pretty much all spent (outstanding dental bill, hospital bill, $$ to the ILs that we didn't have but had to send anyway), but it will feel so good to have 3 monthly payments out of our lives, and free up some of our paychecks for projects around here!

Like, fences for example.

AND, because ALL of those debts are DH-originated (his outrageous unilateral decision to get the fancy tooth job, his decision to send money we didn't have, his choice to give dd change which she swallowed), I think it's reasonable for me to spend a little of what's left on myself.
#494 of 1308 Old 02-13-2007, 09:23 AM

i've had it with treadmills. no more. after every treadmill run i get a sore lower back on top of the infinite boringness. no more treadmill workouts.

the weather forecast is all about the storm headed this way. they're forecasting 1-4 feet by thursday morning and comparing it to the blizzard of '93. For that storm, I was a senior in high school and had gone up to VT for my first big snowboarding trip and it started to snow and didn't quit for a long time. And when it was finally over, the sun came out and we got first tracks in 4 feet of snow. it was awesome.
#495 of 1308 Old 02-13-2007, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
Megs, congrats!!! Are you still waiting on responses from other schools? Since you are the rowing expert on this thread, maybe you can offer an opinion on this?
Hmmm... it looks interesting, but from a longevity/quality point of view I would be concerned about two things right off the bat:

1) It's not an air resistance rower. Those last the longest & give better workouts.

2) What is UP with those handles? They look clumsy and like they wouldn't work for a variety of bodies (frame, build, arm span, etc). They also look like a maintenance nightmare.

I have the Tunturi BodyCraft rower -- much more $$ than the one you're looking at (but less than a Concept II), but ultimately I think it's going to be worth it. I just wish DH would get on it as often as he said he would! I think he's used it twice.

There is a woman who frequents the Fitness thread here, I think her name is Firefaerie (or fire~faery or something) and she runs a high-end fitness shop and gave me some things to think about for purchasing our rower.

ETA: Yup, still waiting from the other schools. I didn't expect to hear from any of them until the end of the month, though, so it's a big surprise.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#496 of 1308 Old 02-13-2007, 11:23 AM

Mandy-I was a freshman in college for that blizzard. Yep-it actually made it all the way down to GA. It was the only time in my life I heard thunder with snow. Bizarre. I got an extra week of spring break b/c roads were closed and we couldn't get back to school.

I'm still not running. I might try a short one today if it doesn't rain. I think my gunk is starting to break up, but now I'm coughing all the time. Being sick sucks. :

Monica-Are you guys OK?

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#497 of 1308 Old 02-13-2007, 12:05 PM

:yawning: Teething baby with a cold. I am so tired that a run seems impossible. We are supposed to get a big storm today so I can use that as my secondary excuse for not getting out there. Maybe I will try to get some yoga in today.

Geo I needed that laugh this morning!

Off to try and squeeze a shower in while she is distracted by toys.....
#498 of 1308 Old 02-13-2007, 12:07 PM

Well..after walking for a few days I decided to try a run again. It went ok..I did 2 miles and decided to see how that hip is tomorrow. Feeling fine right now!

I could not run without bottoms either.

Welcom DCTexan..I live up in Buford, GA.

I"ve been trying to get some things done this week and I have to do dd valentine party tomorrow..so I haven't been able to post much.

Glad you are feeling somewhat better HBM.

I've got some SS stuff...must head to the post office today!

Megs..congratulations on acceptance!

Runningmoms you help keep me going!
#499 of 1308 Old 02-13-2007, 12:07 PM

don't think. just run.

That was my mantra this morning as I hemmed and hawed about running at the gym, running outside in the wind or skipping it all together.

I must say thank you to all of you - I ran 4 mi at the gym - woo hoo! I didn't especially like it because the track is small but it was a good work out. I was also motivated by the fact that dh is probably going iceboating again this weekend (3 days instead of 4) so I won't be able to run for three days.

I took notes today so here goes...

dctexan -- sorry to scare you about being a walking blob! I didn't realize this was your first baby. I was very scared of how I would "come out on the other side" of pregancy the first time but I had no troubles getting back into pre-preg shape (and I gained 40 pounds). Bfing really takes the weight off (for most people). But, you will probably feel like a big waddler at some point. Just know that means you are growing a nice, chubby baby!

jooj -- when did you get that smashing dddc? I love it! (I also love Jerry Macguire - the movie, not Tom Cruise)

monikita - I hope you feel better soon! And ditto on hbm's question - you ok out there in SLC?

geo - I don't have my own TM so no naked running for me but in the summer I do strip down to as little as possible while still being decent outside in the heat - but, even that won't get me arrested.

Megs - wtg on your acceptance! Even if you don't go there, you have the peace of mind that it's an option. Congrats!

Drjen - I'm done with winter too! I'm sick of putting my kids in car seats with coats on and double checking for hats and mittens. I'm tired of putting on a zillion layers to run. I used to really like winter but I don't get to play outside like I used to (skiing and iceboating) and it's been so friggin cold. But, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!! You're younger than I am!

Blizzard of '93 story - it was my last year in college (6 yr plan here : ) and dh and I decided to drive to Myrtle Beach to go golfing. On the way back through Kentucky, we could see thunder and lightening. By the time we got to Indiana, it was snowing like crazy. Of course, dh (who was not yet my dh then) had driven the early shift so I was driving the late shift - overnight, through Indiana where they apparently don't own or use snowplows. I was in a little old (1981) Honda Accord, tailgating a Frito Lay semi cus otherwise I couldn't see a thing. I thought that was bad until I got to Chicago where all of the semis were trying to get through the city before rush hour and I had all I could do to keep the car on the road with all of the flying slush. We were nuts but dh had to get home for work - oy!
#500 of 1308 Old 02-13-2007, 12:11 PM

You guys are so nice... thanks for thinking of me. Yesterday is over! DD made it until 4:00 am when DH got up before waking up and asking for me. I gave her some more medicine and slept with her for a couple of hours. She is pretty miserable. I don't know if she has ever hugged me this much! Hopefully I can keep her comfortable and try to entertain her a bit this morning. And hopefully today's workload will be minor.

Last night perked up for me after DD went to bed. I went and bought my zicam, then watched Knitty Gritty and started knitting the last sleeve of DD's sweater. CherylAnn, there is a pic posted of one side on my blog. I'll post another when it is finished.

Mandy - We had a blizzard in 93, too! January of 93. I was also a senior in high school. And a blizzard has to be pretty big here for us to even call it a blizzard or close anything.

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#501 of 1308 Old 02-13-2007, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ok, I've been reading all this blizzard of 93 stuff... Since I spent most of my life in CA, I do tend to miss a lot of that stuff, but even then, you'd think I'd remember, you know? Oh yeah, I wasn't in the country then...

Naked running... Man, my clothes just cling when I'm on the treadmill. I ended up tucking the legs of my shorts into my undies last night and it was so much better.

I'm at work : off to teach in 15 minutes. I'm not expecting a crowd, and looking at the report, I'm trying to figure out whether or not it would be wise to cancel class tomorrow am.
#502 of 1308 Old 02-13-2007, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmtnmama View Post
comparing it to the blizzard of '93. For that storm, I was a senior in high school and had gone up to VT for my first big snowboarding trip and it started to snow and didn't quit for a long time. And when it was finally over, the sun came out and we got first tracks in 4 feet of snow. it was awesome.
i don't think we got much in that storm - but i was still in nyc. the worst one i remember was in the winter of 97/98 - i was in upstate ny, the snow was up to our chests, and classes still weren't cancelled. we spent the day jumping from our second story apartment windows into snowbanks. :
#503 of 1308 Old 02-13-2007, 12:34 PM

dctexan,

Plady, thanks for the suggestion to take the warrenty opp. to upgrade! That never occured to me. So glad you were feeling a bit better!!

HBM, I'm relieved that you are feeling better. I was worried. You've been too sick!

Callie, according to the AAP, 5 hours is officially "through the night." Congratulations! Bet you wish it really felt like "through the night."

kerc, Yeast was the hugest misery for me in all of breastfeeding. It felt like he was sucking shards of glass through my nipples. We tried a few other things, but ended up with diflucan, which I really believe is the place to start. Other wise you are just messing around and the pain is not worth it. I had to convince our family doc to prescribe it for me. I actually went to the ER on a Saturday and told them I was not going to be able to keep feeding the baby if I didn't get some help. The dork in the ER tried to give me something with the comment, "You can't nurse the baby while you use this cream." What an idiot! I told him that I'd like to try nystatin because it was okay for the baby and he said, "Oh, you're that breastfeeding lady, aren't you?" As if I'm the only woman in town who breastfeeds. He meant that I was the lady that helped teach women to breastfeed before they left the hospital. I'd never actually seen yeast before, except in pictures. It's a really small town and most new moms don't start out with yeasty breasts. So, he gave me the nystatin. Oliver threw it up every time he nursed and I was still in excruciating pain. So I went to my family doc on Monday morning and begged for diflucan. I took him my lactation consultant manual and showed him the dosage and he said no. It's not safe for the baby. So then I went and printed the AAP's statement on the use of diflucan which was about 30 pages long. I left it at his office and at 6:30 that evening I got a call from him saying he was convinced and that a prescription was waiting for me. He prescribed the amount laid out in my book so it was appropriate for treating nipple yeast. It still took a couple days to really kick in, but the relief was unbelievable and permanent!! So, I'm not a doctor, but I highly recommend diflucan. Your baby is bigger than my 6 week old was. He was my third baby, I'm a total lactivist, and I was ready to quit because the pain was too much for me. It gave me so much insight into what other mothers, who didn't have the benefit of a breastfeeding education, might have to suffer through in a community where our caregivers didn't even know how to properly treat it. I hope you get some relief soon!!! Congrats on reaching your pre-pg weight!!!

Monica, I'm sorry you had such a rotten day and that you and dd are both sick!! Hope you start feeling better today! Ooh! Just caught your newest post and I'm off to see the sweater!

Geo, I run on a TM where no one can see me. I've run in just the bra and underwear, but never just the bra. I ran in a swimsuit bottom one day when my running shorts were dirty and I didn't want to get caught in my underwear if someone came to the door.

Megs, WTG!! Exciting to hear what all your options will be!

Poppywise I know a brand you can get super cheap! Mine was only $250. I've also had it less than two months and it is burning out already.

Shanti, I'm so glad that things are back to normal for you!! I hope you are able to get some school work done.

Dr.Jen, I think it's really hard for people to believe their doc is younger than they are. I bet she feels like a real dork now. And she should! When Fletcher met the sister of one of our aquaintences he asked, "Oh are you P's mother?" She obviously didn't look old enough to be her mother, but there was a family resemblance. I hope you have a great birthday week!

AutumnMom I've put running on the back burner off and on over the last 5+ years that I've been running. Hanging out with these amazing women is one the biggest things that keeps me going. Also, having events to look forward to has been motivational.

RM, I hope you guys had a really fun snow day!

Thanks for the well-wishes for the TM. I have 3 miles to do on it today. We'll see how it holds up.

Hello to Everyone!!
#504 of 1308 Old 02-13-2007, 12:38 PM

How funny to hear about the Blizzard of 93 - down in our neck of the woods we called it the "Storm of the Century" and it started like a hurricane (but they couldn't call it that b/c it was out of season) and came in right where I lived (in the armpit of Florida). We spent the night w/o power crowded in a closet, but I guess that is normal for living in Florida It wiped out several of our coastal communities, did a lot of wind and rain damage, and then went on up yalls way as a blizzard! weather can be so bizarre...

anyways...

Megs - congrat on getting accepted! That is awesome!

WTG Schatz and mommabelle on your runs!

Hi Autumn Moon! Sounds like you are really on a role! When life gets in the way of exercise, I try to use mamabeths mantra - Don't think, just run... or tell myself, I can squeeze in 20 minutes....

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#505 of 1308 Old 02-13-2007, 12:44 PM

enough.talk.about.snow!!!!!

It has been cold, so the western arm of lake superior is frozen = very little chance of lake effect snow. and the storms keep going south. What does that mean for me? Treadmill running + frozen water mains all over the darn place. Not fun.

But hey, I was a hs senior in 1993.

Off to call the midwife (who only does homebirths) to find out her take on the thrush / birth control.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#506 of 1308 Old 02-13-2007, 12:53 PM

I graduated from college in 1993 and had been married a year.
#507 of 1308 Old 02-13-2007, 01:12 PM

Goodness, lots of you mamas are younger than me. I was a junior in college for that big storm (and I took a year off btw high school and college). I was snowed in and my housemate was supposed to fly back from Ireland or England, and well, that didn't happen. This was in Pittsburgh and we got plenty of snow!

Megs, thanks for your input. Do you still have the info from firefaery that you could PM me? Since I posted the link last night I decided that that machine is most likely a piece of crap. I also decided that I would keep checking craigslist, but also try to use some of the stuff I already have, because I fear that I will be initially excited, but then it will just sit there. And our house is really not that big.

Ok, off to pack things for the post office since I might get snowed in tomorrow.
#508 of 1308 Old 02-13-2007, 01:50 PM

Oh yuck - I remember the winter of 1993. We were living in NJ and it was either snow or ice every day. I had to be at work by 6:30 a.m. and dh and I would go out in the dark and chip ice off of our car until I was able to open the doors and turn it on to help thaw more ice so I could see out the windows and drive. On icy roads, of course. I actually liked it when the snow came down so heavily that I had o stay home from work for a couple of days.

Was anyone here affected by the ice storm of 1998? We were stuck at home becasue it was impossible to get out of our uphilll laneway - and I was 8 months pregnant with dd. Wasn't so bad though because we were just far enough west at that time that we didn't have the mess Eastern Ontario and Quebec had.

I
#509 of 1308 Old 02-13-2007, 01:50 PM

Hi mamas! I've been swamped with school, sick kids, family birthdays, etc, but have been reading along and staying motivated to get my runs in. I too am thankful for the inspiring ladies in this group

So, I did 4.5 miles early this am, and am now scrambling to finish up a big diet analysis project for my nutrition class. Very basic stuff since I paid attention in 6th grade health, but time consuming as you have to use their buggy software that keeps freezing up my computer :
#510 of 1308 Old 02-13-2007, 02:00 PM

Megs ~ congratulations on getting into the program!!!! Were you a rower? I was a coxswain for 4 years in college (at 5'1", my future as a rower was zero )!

I ran the same 5K route as I raced two weekends ago with my Tri Club on Sunday and came in almost 2 minutes faster (28.43 min)! It helped that it was much warmer and I had a group of women to chat with the whole time. Then we went right from our run into the pool for a 2000 yd swim. OUCH! It hurts to go right from one activity into another like that. Still, it was a fantastic workout.

Today is my day off, thank goodness because it's icing out and it's supposed to turn to snow. I don't want to go anywhere.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page