Running into the Dingo Cafe - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 1308 Old 02-05-2007, 11:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So what is it about some people (and sadly, IME unfailingly a woman) that makes them think they deserve something special, something not offered and something nobody else is getting or asking for? I have just had a string of guests who keep needling me for special breakfasts. And I know these aren't dietary restriction things, the people who really can't eat what is on the menu are unfailingly sweet and apologetic when they make a special request (usually in fact they just apologize for not ordering and only tell me what they could eat when pressed). So who are these women who act as if they are entitled to their every whim? They make me seethe! I get the non-stop snarky responses I'd love to give them just repeating over and over in my head but of course, there's a line I shouldn't cross. :

Sorry ladies, just venting.

The question is, if I give the biddy (who has been Miss Special Request) who wants the 3 minute egg a 3 minute egg tomorrow and it is completely raw because we are at high altitude, will I go to hell?

Maybe I should make up an apron that says Don't Mess with a Pregnant Cook

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 1308 Old 02-05-2007, 11:59 PM

My geographical location is also under my username to the left. Specifically, I'm in Spokane, WA.

No workout today, as we drove home from Portland. The drive, again, went SO WELL. Nevie slept almost the entire time again. Dan and I listened to some of my mom's Love & Logic tapes and had lots of chuckles. We also picked apart my SIL/BIL's parenting style. Lots of things we shake our heads at & do not want to do ourselves... lots of empty threats, passiveness and too much TV. But, it was still lots of fun watching Nevie with the boys -- especially the 19-month-old. He's just a sweet kid, period, and they were so cute together.

It's so damn cold here. Sick of it! But I'll sure be glad we're here and not in Okinawa come May.

I had my first IRL meeting with some MDC-ers in Portland yesterday. Poppywise, one of them said she knew you -- Chiromama. Such a cool lady.

And, that's all. Back to my DVR of SNL.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#183 of 1308 Old 02-06-2007, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

HBM~been wanting to say that I have been thinking of that little boy at school that passed away. My heart and prayers go out to the family.

also, moonshine, had you on my mind this morning during my workout, dedicated it to you.

gotta get the little one in bed, we just got home and he was waiting for me to change his poopy diaper! Yay!

Running 6 or 8 in the morning depending on which training plan I decide. Yup, into training and still deciding!

patti~thought about you a lot this weekend, with missing your mom (and Griffin too I'm sure). I watched two shows with moms gone and was really hard. it's been over 4 years for me. I know it's hard for you,
#184 of 1308 Old 02-06-2007, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_BK View Post
I had my first IRL meeting with some MDC-ers in Portland yesterday. Poppywise, one of them said she knew you -- Chiromama. Such a cool lady.
: yep, that's one of my girls - i used to live in portland [until last summer] i miss it so!

jo - oh my -that first photo on yr blog of you and the sheeple is SO cute! they are huddled around you thinking -'hey mama!' hope they survived the cold brr

monica - thanks fr the comments on the felt booties - i have the link for the pattern - i can PM it to you. did you figure out the sweater? i'd do the same as what geo said. oh and the dh shirt came from goats(dot)com

cherylann - way to go on the LR - you can do it!

shanti - i remember your story from last year i'm still amazed you survived and it is a testament to what a strong woman you are. incredible story.

lofty -

i have to run - i've got to prepare for class tomorrow and a mid-term exam to write - never thought i'd be saying those words!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#185 of 1308 Old 02-06-2007, 12:54 AM

Poppy - Yes, please PM me! I'd like to try my hand at those there booties. As for my little sweater, I decided to just keep knitting to gauge on the 9s. I still think the pattern is big for a size 3, but too big she can grow into and too small would just be too small. I'm almost done with the front (or back, they are the same) and it is looking lovely. I really like working with cashmerino. It feels so good on the fingers! And I have this idea to embroider flowers on it when I'm done, because I know DD would just love that. I haven't been able to knit yet today, but there's still a little time to sneak it in before bed.

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#186 of 1308 Old 02-06-2007, 02:04 AM

Hi Mamas,

Brrrrrrr, hope all our outdoor runners are keeping warm. I have never been as glad for my TM as i was this AM when i got up and saw the frigid temps.
yowza!

Monica, mmmmm Cashmerino. i can't wait to see pics. Also, did you say you had 50 degree weather? That tis so crazy!

RM, have a great run tomorrow AM, can't wait to hear which program you go with in the end.

Megs, YEAH for the great drive. We rented a L&L video the other week and we had a lot of chuckles too. But because that thing was wack! For kids that won't go to bed, the guy recommended threatening to leave them and go spend the night in a hotel where the child is told he can't bother you, and to hire a stern babysitter. For real. we were like "Did that dude just say that?" I don't think that woud go over too well at our house hehe

Plady, i feel for you. That would drive me bananas. i don't think anything you make will be good enough, people like that are always shooting for more.

I've been running a bit faster and longer. it's feelin soooo good. Now i just need to carve out time to properly represent to my fabulous Mamas here on this thread

Can't wait for SS to start!

ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

#187 of 1308 Old 02-06-2007, 03:12 AM

loftmama, Hi!!

RM, I thought of you today when I saw a cable-knit beanie at a store.

Looking forward to SS!

Plady, :rofl It would be hilarious to serve her a 3 min egg! But, maybe you ought to have a 4 or 5 min egg in reserve, too, just to keep the customer happy? That's a riot! But not fun.

Tomorrow is a 3 mile run. I'm going with fast friends, outside. It'll be fun!

ND, was the whole thing wack?!? Yikes!

We had a wild and crazy day here. It started with dh having a car accident just at the intersection of our cul-desac (I have no idea how to spell that!) and the main highway. He didn't see the guy coming from the left and pulled out. The way he was hit looks crazy, like it wasn't even possible, but the other guy must have swerved to avoid him and hit him anyway, way over on the passenger side. It was still pretty much a head on collision, though. Neither of them were hurt although dh has had a headache all day, I think from the impact of the airbag. It was our tiny commuter car...the only car we've ever paid off. I had reduced the insurance to liability to save money. We had to pay for all but $50 that insurance reimbursed for towing, to have it removed and crushed. $312!! But, I think that we probably saved that much over time with the reduced insurance payments. We went car hunting this afternoon and didn't decide on anything. He wants to try live with just one car and see how it goes. We were planning to get an AWD or 4WD vehicle before next winter anyway, so we'll see what happens. I don't want to push him into a second car because he's willing to walk or bike the 1.2 miles to work. I just don't want to be hassled about my evening commitments when he has no transportation. At least he's okay. He's taking stock of his life right now.
#188 of 1308 Old 02-06-2007, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Cherylann~so glad dh is okay!! thanks for thinking of me when seeing the knit hat! I'm working on a wool diaper bag right now. I just did stripes for the first time and am stoked that it worked and looks cool!! I made a second hat from your pattern, love it. Can't wait to give it to my grandmother, thank you!

gotta get on the TM now, even though it's 3 degrees out, ds1 still has school on time. Soooooo glad that I drive him to school and he doesn't have to stand out in this. We're supposed to get between 3-6" of snow today, yay! fun times! bible study is cancelled so I think I go to the store for some more yarn to start the longies for a friend, the first knit pair (I've crochet some in the past for ds3 and friends). Keep your ear open CherylAnn I may have questions....

ND~thanks for wanting to hear which training plan I pick, that may just be the push I need to decide! Good to hear how well you are doing!

Getting really excited for SS to start!!! Love hearing my SS receive their package and they don't know it's me. Remember ladies, NO PEAKING at the return address and postage stamping for where it comes from!!

Make it a great day ladies!!

Shanti~you are amazing in your quilting (among other things)!!

Hello to everyone else I missed, thinking about you all!
#189 of 1308 Old 02-06-2007, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Our corner of the world is even more closed down today, if that is possible. It is fine on my street at the moment, but we are pretty protected from the wind. All of the roads within about 2 hours of here are still closed! I am supposed to have a meeting further north tomorrow, but we'll see if that happens. We have a backup plan to meet by telephone if the roads are bad, but if school is closed, forget it I am hoping things clear up over the next 24 hours. And very glad that we stocked up before the storm hit - both local grocery stores are on closed roads and I guess that trucks aren't getting up here if all of the roads are closed too.

Thanks for the comments on the quilt. My aunt loves it, she is planning to decorate her new apartment around it I have made a few wild looking quilts like this. I love working on them and have a lot of fun designing them, but I could neer live with them. By the time thy are done I have had enough. Other people seem to like then so I will keep making them. I need to do a couple that are the ones I love too, just to give my eyes a break

No running planned again today. Shovelling and playing in the snow wil be my workout. Maybe a ski, if I can talk the kids into going.

I have SS stuff already, I am just waiting a couple of hours to see if there are any more last minute mamas to join in. I will get a few sent out this morning and I will do the rest later today.
#190 of 1308 Old 02-06-2007, 09:39 AM

Yikes CherylAnn--glad dh is OK. We drive 2 old cars, and have just liability on both. Like you said, we're surely saving more by owning them and paying low insurance, but it will sting if anything happens and we have to pay the whole thing! Most important, dh is all right (and willing to walk!).

I'm monitoring school closings. It looks like it's about 50-50 around here, and it looks like ds will have school. He needs it, but dd is still sick (or again), and I need to stop at the office...yuck. Some days, this gig is just crappy. Dd was better, and now the past 2 nights, she gets a fever before bedtime. Has a nasty cough. Has not been eating much. Extremely sensitive and grumpy. I'm sure it's just another virus, but man, we are ready for a break around here. Dh is taking ibuprofen to work, to manage his own fever and handle his workload. The worst is, the project I am on is time-sensitive, and the stress that builds when I can't make it in makes it that much harder to deal with all the sick people. Man. I can't wait for the weather to warm up.
#191 of 1308 Old 02-06-2007, 10:01 AM

Leg/Hip is still really hurting and I can't get to the chiro until tomorrow. Much more stretching today.

Loftmama

Keep warm everyone!
#192 of 1308 Old 02-06-2007, 10:07 AM

Good morning ladies!
Cheryl-so glad your dh is OK. We only have liability on our paid off car and I think that car is near the end of its life.

Jo- I hope your family finds wellness soon! Good luck getting the work stuff done.

Shanti-That is some snow!

Has anyone had experience with a child having night terrors? M (5 next week) has had them for the last two nights and I'm really worried about her. She just cries and thrashes around and it's very disturbing to watch. The first one last night lasted so long (over 30 minutes) that I called the doctor. She said to just make sure M was safe and to start fully waking her about an hour after she falls asleep every night for a week. I hope that works. I feel so helpless to see her doimg that and not having any way of helping her.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#193 of 1308 Old 02-06-2007, 10:17 AM

Cheryl, I'm so glad your DH is OK!

HBM, we think EK has night terrors. She will wake and be crying, which is not unusual, and we don't realize it's a night terror right off the bat. But then it becomes obvious that we can't soothe her - we try to touch her and she'll say "NO!" and cry harder. We have learned that we just have to lie there with her in between us and let her cry/scream until she makes the move to approach one of us. If we so much as talk to her we prolong the whole episode by 5 minutes for every time we try to help, so it seems. It's hard... good luck.

More later...

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#194 of 1308 Old 02-06-2007, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Night terrors: We've dealt with that. We've found that a very familiar song or words (we often recite "Goodnight moon") can often help orient DD during an episode. Touching her certainly makes it worse. Soooo scary.
#195 of 1308 Old 02-06-2007, 10:41 AM

Yes, touching made it MUCH worse. She would just scream and hit/push us away. She cries/screams and her heart races and she gets so sweaty. She is unable to talk and can't hear us over the crying/screaming. I feel bad for L b/c they share a room and this is obviously disturbing her sleep as well. From the little research I've done this morning, it looks like this is inherited (dh was an active sleepwalker) and is something that most children eventually outgrown. I guess that's good news. Poor kiddo, she's having a rough few months.

#196 of 1308 Old 02-06-2007, 10:52 AM

Balancin1 I am in Downers Grove. I Love your part of the city.

Does anyone have cracking knees for lack of a better term. Mine have been lately. I don't know if it's the cold or just me getting older.

I also have Ilio Tibial Band Syndrome Sp? in the past. I think I may be getting it again because I have been doing most of my running on the indoor track. I remember being able to get in under control the last time.

I am so excited about running again, I don't want to get sidelined.

Take Care
#197 of 1308 Old 02-06-2007, 11:18 AM

Modmom-I've also got cracking/grinding knees. They sound awful! I'm so embarassed by it, especially going up stairs. I saw a physical therapist for an injury a few years ago and asked about it and he said it was nothing to worry about, so I won't.

#198 of 1308 Old 02-06-2007, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by modmom View Post
I am in Downers Grove.
LOL. Ever eat at Downer's Delight? I've eaten there several times all at odd hours. I collected most of my dissertation data at the APS.
#199 of 1308 Old 02-06-2007, 11:46 AM

My dh grew up in the Downer's Grove area.

Far cry from snow squall possessed rural Bruce County
#200 of 1308 Old 02-06-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modmom View Post
Does anyone have cracking knees for lack of a better term. Mine have been lately. I don't know if it's the cold or just me getting older.
I've got creaks and groans all over but especially my knees. My knees make a crunching sound when I climb stairs. When I was in HS and dislocated my knee cap, the physical therapist said I had "crunchies" under my knee caps from dancing. I don't recall that he gave me a prognosis for that.

So I woke up this a.m. intending to run but I though "oh, I just can't go out there at -15" Then I thought about going to the comm ctr but dh was driving me to work cus our other car is in the shop so I didn't have any slack time this morning. But then I saw the actual temp when I went down to the kitchen and it was only -8. I thought "uh, I could have went running! Minus 8 is nothing" It's confirmed. I have brain freeze and I am crazy.
#201 of 1308 Old 02-06-2007, 01:07 PM

Yes Shatz...you do have brain freeze and you are crazy. Minus 8 indeed!

On personal responsibility - I do a lot of what other mamas have described...modeling when I screw up accepting responsibilty and apologizing. Also commending dd when she does that... When she doesn't want to help I talk about how our family is a team and that we work together to keep things going. When she denies doing something (depending on what) I will sometimes ignore the denial and ask for her to make restitution - cleaning up the mess or what have you...

Shanti - I forgot to say earlier I love the pic of your daughter in the snow...she's a beautiful snow sprite! Her eyes are amazingly gorgeous and I see your love shining out...well done mama.
#202 of 1308 Old 02-06-2007, 01:11 PM

CherylAnn - Thank goodness your dh is okay! I think being in a totalled car is definitely a trigger for taking stock.
I so wanted to make the 3 minute egg but no, I put it on for 5. Did she say thank you? No of course not. But when I zipped off to the bathroom to manage a near-puke and came back a minute later she did scold me for not being available to get her salt and pepper. Sheesh.

Modmom - I've got creaky knees too, dd thinks it's funny that every time I crouch down they pop.

HBM - Dd only had night terrors once or twice but I remember that trying to calm her down by holding her did not work here either. I hope it'sa phase that passes quickly!

RM - A belated for all the sadness happening to people you know.

No running for me, I am totally being lame but it is so chilly everywhere and it keeps raining! This weather is so completely wrong for here. It is the dead center of the dry season. This time last year the cacti were wilting from lack of water and we got an inch, just last night! Amazing. Scary.
Anyway, since I don't have the gumption to get a workout today I'll go get my first SS thingie out!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#203 of 1308 Old 02-06-2007, 01:35 PM

I have sent out all of the Secret Sprinter pm's - PLEASE let me know if you signed up and haven't heard from me! If for some reason you would like to change the person you drew, let me know. There were a couple of situations where I wondered, but I decided to let the luck of the draw rule, and I can make changes if necessary.

plady - I don't think I am a nice enough person to do the work you do. Hang in there - I think damp, chilly, rainy weather is the worst - even after being snowed in by a blizzard since last Friday At least this is pretty and we can stay cozy inside.

bbm - thank you. My dd's eyes are amazing - I forget sometimes. When she was a baby and toddler people used to stop and stare at her -she hated it.

schatz - definitely brain freeze!

Oops - the kids are going a little house-bound-crazy at the moment : Time to find a new diversion :
#204 of 1308 Old 02-06-2007, 01:46 PM

Plady-when does she check out? :

#205 of 1308 Old 02-06-2007, 01:57 PM

my those running moms have been quiet.....or maybe I never subscribed to the thread. duh.

back later for running reports.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#206 of 1308 Old 02-06-2007, 02:25 PM

I am so far behind this month. Will catch up tonight!

We celebrated dd's 2nd birthday this weekend. It is amazing; the time has gone so quickly. The decision over #3 is heating up...I just can't decide.

Now running 25 mins straight. It isn't too bad. We have the cold yucks here. Hoping to just get a mild case.

More personals later...

PM
#207 of 1308 Old 02-06-2007, 02:25 PM

Trying to get some writing done this morning, so Must. Not. Dawdle. at MDC...

but Plady, I just wanted to give you a big People like that woman make me : Atlanta mamas might appreciate this, I used to wait tables in Buckhead to pay for undergrad, and we called those type of ladies the "Buckhead Bi****s Club".... everyday it was "May I please have a caesar salad, but no dressing, just some oil and vinegar on the side, and no croutons, and could you have them grill something up, like a salmon filet and put that on the side too? and maybe some sliced tomato, and before the food comes out, I need 3 more lime slices for my sparkling water" :

CherylAnn - so glad your DH is okay, and so sorry for the stress of the accident and the car situation!

Schatz- :

I am cold thinking about all yalls cold snowing weather, I think we are going up to the 80s today...

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#208 of 1308 Old 02-06-2007, 02:38 PM

ND... I haven't watched the L&L videos, but I can totally hear Jim Fay giving that "advice" on the hotel. His sense of humor is awesome. I love it! I like how he gives ideas for using humor with kids... I don't think I'll always measure up to it, but it's good to have some ideas filed away for future reference.

Oh boy, I'm starving. And I need to get Nevie away from the shopping bags.

Bye!

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#209 of 1308 Old 02-06-2007, 02:58 PM

Runningmommy, thanks for thinking of me during your run yesterday! It means a lot that people are thinking good thoughts for me.

Am sitting in my kitchen FREEZING. Our back door (in the kitchen) does not fit when it gets this cold and windy, the cold air just pours in. We have been intending to get a new door for years now, but somehow the $$ for it always seems to be failing. And apparently the will to do anything about it. It is a custom size, so not so simple (or cheap, I'm sure).

However, I finally decided that I am overriding my husband and putting in insulation under our windows on our second floor. Our house was built sometime in the 1870s and some things are still original. Cool, you think? Too historic, some might say. So we have the wood panels under the windows on the second floor, so even less brick wall (which needs to be repointed) than in other places. When we took the plaster out on the first floor, you could see daylight through the wall. I am certain that it is the same one floor up. We redid the first floor and the difference in temp is amazing. Well, not so amazing if you think about what insulation does. DH has long maintained that it would not look good to have insulation under the windows. I am tired of being cold, feeling the cold air coming through the walls, and paying to heat the outdoors. So there.

Ok, am too cold. Must find a warmer room.
#210 of 1308 Old 02-06-2007, 03:09 PM

Moonshine, we are discovering interesting issues with our house, too. Our sunroom, which the previous owners created from the carport, was 50F yesterday. We have been shutting both doors (one leads to the kitchen, one to the living room) to keep the rest of the house warmer. But 50 degrees! Goodness! The sunroom is farthest from the furnace, so that may have something to do with it, but your post is making me wonder about insulation, too. I am not so good with house stuff but at least now I know part of why our heating bills were so high last winter. The bad thing is that the sunroom is EK's playroom, so we have to run in to the "meat locker" to get toys and run back out. I know she misses being in there full time.

Kerc, glad you made it to the new thread!

Plady, your guest is a piece of work. Hope she's on her way before long.

Callie, I am jealous of your 80 degree weather. So jealous.

My aunt had her first day of the new chemo yesterday, and when it was over she went promptly to Sam's to get food for the Wed. night supper she prepares for her church (she works as their hospitality director, doing wedding directing, flowers, meals, things like that). The drug she gets today has a side effect in about 10% of people of making them really disoriented and out of it, so we are all kind of holding our breath hoping that doesn't happen to her. Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers for her. She is a fighter - the women in my family are known to be stubborn.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page