Running into the Dingo Cafe - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-07-2007, 02:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb842 View Post
Where do I find a good training program. My next question where do I find some running gear online? It would be great if it was cheap.
first ? - runnersworld.com - click on their training calculator
second ? - i've found great deals on the nike sale page.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2007, 02:52 AM

btw, all - when are we starting the secret sprinters? and i'm in on camping as long as it's after mid-june.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:46 AM

RM, can't wait to see the longies!

HBM, Naomi used to get night terrors. They were more terrifying for us than her, because she never remembered them. They happened during times of stress and the year she turned 7 they went away. She was a really anxious kid until the last couple years. We were always reasured that she was okay when we asked about them. Sophia, who share a bed with her, would just wake up and watch with us. I know it's hard!!

Ugh, plady, how long is that lady staying?!?

Moonshine, is your bread a yeasted bread? No-knead? That sounds great! Oh! Just saw your link. I've been making bread in my vita-mix, grinding the whole red wheat kernals and then mixing it all together. Then it gets scooped out into the loaf pan to rise. It doesn't rise well. Before I started grinding the wheat, I would let it rise once in the mixer and then dump it out to knead it before letting it rise a second time in the pan. But, the consistency with the freshly ground wheat is too wet. I really love the texture, but it's a super flat loaf. I'd love to know more about what you are doing. I love baking bread and have never gotten the hang of it...never have produced the perfect loaf.

Shanti, I want a KitchenAid so badly!! I'd be baking bread every day if I had one!

Megs, I'd love to try your bread recipe!

kate~mom, well done on the great indoor run!

Jay, I am really like Hal Higdon's marathon schedule and noticed that he has one for half-marathons, too. www.halhigdon.com

I ran 4 miles today with my friends. These are great people involved with the theatre, too. And they are such characters! She's a doctor and he's a SAHD. I've told them over and over that I was only going to do 3 miles. I warned them several times that I am slow. They kept forgetting and wanted to run further. I offered to turn around at my half way point and let them go, but they sweetly insisted on staying with me. The funny thing about them is that they are both so oblivious to distance and are in such great shape that it doesn't matter (she's the ironman and Boston marathoner) and it was like every time I said where I needed to turn around it was new information. They're hilariously absent-minded. What a pair! Tomorrow morning I will be doing my 6 miles with him. He said he'd push Oliver in the stroller and we'd do a bunch of hills by his house. Ugh! I know it will be good for me, but I'm dreading it. And, knowing him, we'll probably end up going 7 or more miles! I plan to set a time deadline, too, so I can make it to the school in time to do spelling whether we go 6 miles or not.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
This isn't so much fun any more.

The schools are still closed. A few roads are opened but they are saying not to count on them staying open all day. The gas stations are starting to run low on gas and supply trucks haven't been able to get to the grocery stores since last week. Not that we can get to the grocery store anyway :

So I cancel all of today's work and meetings and hope that maybe tomorrow I won't have to do the same.

Thank goodness I have this annoying habit of overstocking our freezer and cupboards. I was thinking that we really need to eat our way through what we have before I go grocery shopping again. It looks like we will make a big dent in it!

: : : : : : : : :
Old 02-07-2007, 10:01 AM

I would LOVE for everyone to head up my way to camp this summer. Let's wait until summer though, so you can actually get here

I would be happy to find a camping spot for everyone, but I know that it is probably too far for everyone - we are 10 hours from Chicago, almost 3 hours from Toronto.

But it is beautiful. Great for running. And I know the best homemade ice cream place anywhere. And it is beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. At least I think it is - at this moment I can't see the house next door because of the blowing snow. But I am sure it will be beautiful again by April.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The last instruction on that bread recipe:

Quote:
RESIST the temptation to cut open your cooling bread. It must sit at least one hour before slicing.
That's a deal breaker for me. No hot bread???? C'mon! No fair.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:20 AM

Sounds wonderful! To be honest Shanti, even blowing and drifting snow doesn't sound so bad right now. It's so bare and cold here this winter. I'm not a fan of winter, but we had absolutely NONE of the big, wet, snowman-building stuff yet.

: 6AM and dd is already throwing a tantrum. I guess I'll shower now, and just hope I don't pick up too much livestock smell when I go out to feed and water...and change clothes afterward...big client mtg today, with the agency prez. Healthwise, both kids seem OK. Once we all get where we need to go, things should work out OK, I think. Wish me luck--once this passes, I think I might not be too paralyzed to get on the doggone TM.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:13 AM

Jo, good luck with your day! Dh and I know the deal well of doing animal chores post shower, then checking each other for inappropriate odors to go out into the world and conduct business with...

Shanti, I hope everything starts moving again soon, it gets like that up here sometimes, so I understand the mix of initial fun and then paralyzation that sets in. But I loved the image of your daughters playing kitty together!

Ran 3 easy ones yesterday, I've finished both my tests for the week, just have a big diet study project in nutrition to compile, spanish hw to do, decluttering to complete, and a birthday present to buy for mil, the woman who buys herself absolutely anything that she could ever want, and seems to think that when I make her something it is because I couldn't afford to buy anything. : Any suggestions on something inexpensive to do or buy for her? And a small vent: but why is it my job to get something for dh's mother, and not his???
Old 02-07-2007, 12:01 PM

cherylAnn - have you looked at the Laurel's Kitchen bread book? it has a lot of troubleshooting tips if your bread is flat or other issues...

off to check out moonshines bread recipe...

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
Old 02-07-2007, 01:57 PM

GEOFIZZ I have eaten there once a long time ago. I drive by often, by the way what was you disertation on?
No run today. I am lucky to get in three a week with the kids and dh schedule, not to mention my work.

I am really hoping to increase but happy to do that much.
Balancin 1 I am impressed that you ran outside yesterday I was in a bus filled with first graders on my way to the Shedd Aquarium.

I have a couple of questions for you guys:

For those of you running in the how do you layer up and what types of fabrics do you use?

Non running-It seems like there are more working mamas here than on most topics on mdc. I was curious as to what everyone does. I am psychotherapist in private practice I work part time about 10-12 hours a week. I love my job but I often feel the stress of balancing work and family. Being able to get my runs in has definitely made me calmer and given the illusion of some sort of control.

Take Care,
Old 02-07-2007, 02:05 PM

modmom--I think there are several psychologists on this thread too! I'm a Lutheran pastor (on leave right now)

I am about to start the no-knead bread.... mmmm.... can't believe it uses so little yeast! that was so happy to see for my cheapo self!

Oh and I made monikita's tacos from the recipe blog...WOW they were good! even dd ate 1.5 whole tacos, a lot for her!

I doubt I'll run today, but I've got to tomorrow.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modmom View Post
For those of you running in the how do you layer up and what types of fabrics do you use?
I ran outside last weekend, 14 degrees plus 15-20 mph winds. I wore the following:

Two pair of tights (one tight, one loose)
Coolmax sleeveless shirt, Dri-Max longsleved shirt, fleece pullover, windbreaker
Gloves, hat with earflaps, neckwarmer, Thorlo socks

I was plenty comfy, once I got running. The key is to NOT wear cotton because the sweat on it will just chill you more .

No run yesterday, but I did swim 1800 yds with decreasing 10x100 of freestyle. Ick. Today we're going out of town for 3 days, but I'm hoping to get a run in on the hotel treadmill this evening .

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 02-07-2007, 02:13 PM

Mamabeth,

My degree is actually in Pastoral Counseling. I love when I can incorporate the spiritual dimension into my work.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:17 PM

Morning mamas,
RR! I ran yesterday! A whole lap and a half. I went out at 4:00 instead of crawling into bed for a nap like I wanted to but once I was there I couldn't keep it up. I ended up walking a mile and a half with Xoche while dh ran instead. But at least I got out right? And the sun had come out for all of two hours so I got to enjoy that. Today it's overcast and chilly again, perfect nap weather

In this biz the official title for a guest like ours is PITA (pain in the a$$). Our PITA left this morning (). She was with a tour group and had to leave early and the best part is that her room is empty but paid for through Friday night! Compensation enough for sure!

I would love to host Dingofest 2007! Especially since I doubt I'll be up for camping by this summer although that sounds awesome too. I am very attracted to Shanti's weather reports. All that snow sounds soooo nice, even as it goes on and on and on.

I'm going to go check out that no knead bread too, now y'all have got me jonesing for homemade bread!

Have a good day and happy runs everyone!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 02-07-2007, 02:17 PM

morning everyone!

I was a wimp again today. My little guy wasn't settled when I wanted to get up at 5 which meant I didn't get up until 5:45 and I really needed to head out the door for work by 7 since I'll be home Thur/Fri cus the iceboat regatta is officially on so I'll be dh-less for four days. Anyway, dh and I did walk for an hour at the comm ctr last night and we're planning to again tonight. I'll run tomorrow come he!! or high water - dh won't leave until about 7 so I can easily fit in a nice long run.

Hey modmom - I'm an engineer masquerading as a univ administrator (my degree is in engr but I work at a univ and manage people and programs). We have quite a few sci people on here too (I think we talked about this in last month's thread).

I've got to check out the recipe blog more - those tacos sound yummy!
Old 02-07-2007, 02:39 PM

I've made the no knead bread...definitely cover it as instructed. My crust was way too tough...
Old 02-07-2007, 02:47 PM

Modmom, I'm not currently working, but my degree is civil engineering. I left the Air Force last May and, hopefully, will be starting Physical Therapy school this fall.

I think I picked up a bug in Portland. My throat is tight & scratchy. Dan's home today, though, and he knows I need to be in top form for my interview on Saturday. So... I just got out of bed a few minutes ago and I am going to go make some tea and lay low today.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:57 PM

I'm kind of at all the bread talk. I am letting my second batch do the final rise right now. I did follow the instructions pretty exactly, except for leaving it in too long w/o the lid, which led to subsequent black spots, and it turned our marvelously. And I missed the instructions of not cutting it when hot, although I didn't anyway. It goes out piping hot. I mean, the oven is set at 500+.

CherylAnn, I have all not had great results with making bread the "traditional" way. I once tried a recipe for herbed bread that you bake in a flower pot. It so didn't work.

And thank you kerc, for the nudge to cover my kitchen door. It looks, well, like a kitchen door covered with blankets, but it has stopped the horrible flow of cold air into the house. DH kind of rolled his eyes when he say it, but oh well. It is 16 degrees right now. So we have a blanket hanging for the week. He is only working a half day today, so I told him I want to go to Home Despot so that I can get insulation, etc for below our windows. I have been on a super quest to cut bills and make our house more efficient. We actually turn off our computer at night now, and switch unused appliances that have a LED light on when the power is off to cut on phantom power usage. Curious to see how it will affect our bill.

Ok, ladies, off to take care of things for my "other business." (See sig)
Old 02-07-2007, 03:26 PM

modmom - I am finishing up a training program in Spiritual Direction. I am also working on upgrading my undergrad work to apply to a master's program in family and couple therapy. After yesterday's news, though, I think it may take me forever to get there Certainly if my kids don't go back to school soon I will be in serious trouble with my current course - I can't get anything done while they are home. I am way ahead on the reading, but I cannot get any writing or assignments done with so many/so frequent dustractions.

We are able to get out and about a little this morning - went to the post office and to the store to get more milk, juice and fruit. The trucks just came through this morning so we had to navigate around massive shelf re-stocking. It is amazing what a difference a few days days of being cut off can do for a community - I head that earlier this morning all of the local gas pumps were empty.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:30 PM

modmom - i work full time as the marketing manager for a software company. in addition my dh and I own a bike shop and i run a little soap biz. one of the reasons that I like this thread is hearing from other women who are balancing WOH and NFL/AP.

as far as running in cold weather. i wear fleecy running/cycling tights, a polypro long sleeve shirt that zips up into a turtleneck, depending on temp either a fleece vest or a thin merino wool pullover made for exercising in (Icebreaker from New Zealand), potentially a soft shell jacket, glove liners and my snowboarding helmet liner. if that get-up won't keep me warm, then i'm not interested in running in that temperature.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:51 PM

Calico, I'll check out Laurel's Kitchen. It struck me funny because my first thought was, "Heh, Laurel doesn't cook!" My Laurel is one of best friends and her dh does all the cooking.

Moonshine, I HAVE to try it now! If we are equally lousy at traditional bread my attempt at the no-knead bread ought to at least be edible.

Recently got back from 6 hilly miles...more of a report later, maybe. I'm supposed to leave hte house in 25 minutes and I'm sitting her freezing in my sweaty clothes. Duh. Gotta jump in the shower!
Old 02-07-2007, 04:57 PM

modmom-I'm on maternity leave right now, but I work one evening a week as a maternity nurse.

I got 3.1 miles on the treadmill last night. I walked .6 miles of it because it is still stuck at an elevation. Hopefully my dh can take a look at it soon.

Need to try and take advantage of nap time and get some house work done. Have a great day everyone.

I will have to try that bread recipe.

Patti
Old 02-07-2007, 05:13 PM

Man you ladies are chatty!!!

I got lost when February started and there was a new thread.

Things are going along just fine here. My little bean is kicking away in there and I'm so happy.

I've been more active than I probably should be. My home remodeling skills are being used to help my MIL with the new house she is building. I must take some pictures this weekend.....but I am the best dang pregnant drywaller you have ever seen. Its coming along so well, and I am very proud of my work. I told MIL that if I get my way she will never lay in her bed and cuss me because she can see the seams in her ceiling.

All of my workouts with The Firm have paid off....all of that climbing up and down the ladder and I'm not sore one bit.

Ok...enough about me....I'm off to read up and catch up with all of you!!
Old 02-07-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modmom View Post

Non running-It seems like there are more working mamas here than on most topics on mdc. I was curious as to what everyone does.
question 1 - i have a set of old as dirt hind top & tights that i love for the cold. i wear these with a heavy weight patagonia half zip and a running jkt in the bitter cold, and with just the jacket in regular cold.

question 2 - i'm a full-time school psychologist. since going back to work full-time this year, my running has taken a major hit. ah well.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:00 PM

modmom, it is interesting that you bring up the WOH thing, I have been struggling in that area lately... I've been working PT (~20 hrs/wk) as program coordinator in sustainability in university admin office and writing dissertation (engineer/microbial ecology), and it has been going well, still come home in time to play w/ DD, have down time, etc..

But boss wants me to go full time and I definitely need the money, and they're willing to accomodate a semi-flexible schedule w/ some work at home, but I'm scared to move in that direction... already as is, I feel like no time for meaningful activity w/ DD and DH, our house is a wreck, I'm wiped at night after writing, etc... running does help but work has been making me feel stretched super thin lately, and I'm scared to commit to full time for them...

sorry - OT vent

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
Old 02-07-2007, 06:04 PM

Caillie, full time sucks. if we didn't need the money and the health insurance so badly, I would go back to three days a week in the blink of an eye.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:29 PM

I'm way behind, sorry.

Just wanted to let y'all know that things are fine here. The morning spinning is great. I'd like to start swimming again too, but I'm afraid of the hardcore morning masters group and I have trouble motivating without a group. So, may stick to spinning for now.

Hope you all are well.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:45 PM

Hi guys,

Modmom, I am a small animal veterinarian but am not practicing right now. In the meanwhile I make a zine.

I am going to start the no bake bread tonight. I can't wait.

My kiddoes are stir crazy, lots of whining alternating with shrieking. Arrrgh. I have to try to keep them entertained for my own sanity :

Hey Po6 and Patti

Cherylann, WTG on the chilly 6. Woohoo for you!

Shanti, YEAH for getting out. I bet that felt good.

Moonshine, so are you majorly decluttering...... that is awesome. I need to have another go at my stockpile of household krap.

Hope, I didn't know your town had a community center with workout space. I must tell my friend about that.

Plady, yay the PITA left. Woohoo for you on the extra nights being payed for. I would love to come down this summer and see you, also would love to go see Shantimama, hmmmm lots of great north American traveling.

Uh oh gotta go. Ms. Athena has been woken by the shrieking :

Quick RR. Did 3.1 in under 10 minute pace this AM. It was indoor on the TM so in real life would probably be more like 12 minute pace outside but still, i am totally stoked about that.

Take care ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

Old 02-07-2007, 07:04 PM

brrr. it's dang cold again. car #2 isn't starting in the cold so I had to do the round trip to/from dh's work twice today. lovely. My other choice was to stick dd2 into the jogger (which has a cover like a burley) and jog the 1.5 miles to preschool to collect dd1. Windchills are prohibitive (-20) so I opted for multiple miles of driving. Yahoo.

I'm a PT community college instructor in geology/environmental science/chemistry (only chemistry this semester). I'm also finishing my phd this calendar year. I mean it (this is my 7th? year in the program)! Dh is also a PT cc instructor and we juggle the kids between us and pt daycare. Whew. Ideally -- we'd inherit serious cash and could continue in this manner (with a finished phd on my part) forever.

On the no-knead bread: we've made it before. If the crust is too crusty I did something. Let me think about it -- maybe sprayed it with water and then heated it slightly? It was a bit crusty but I know I served it with squash soup so i just dipped it in there. mmmm.

remembered nursing pads today.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 02-07-2007, 07:22 PM

one more thought: kelley's island, ohio for dingo fest 2007?
http://www.kelleysisland.com/
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/parks/parks/lakeerie.htm

closest is likely 2BB, but it's (guessing) 7 hrs by car from Madison and Roanoke? Swimming available. Also major amusement park nearby and some cool rocks for the rock hounds.

or maybe the "thumb" of Michigan? We'd need to be on a lake though because it gets hot there.

frankly I'm all for a nice trip to the UP of Michigan, but I think that would be a serious hike for anyone from the east coast.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)

User Tag List