Dingos after the March Hare! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 901 Old 03-02-2007, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
chai bread? where's the recipe?

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 901 Old 03-02-2007, 05:43 PM

I just looked it up myself-its on JenLove's blog:

chai bread

hope its okay that I posted that link!
#63 of 901 Old 03-02-2007, 05:44 PM

Mandy-glad your dad is off the vent. I'll echo everyone else here and say do what is in your heart. I'd send you some money for gas if that would help. I'd also watch K if you needed. I'm only probably an hour from your dad.

geo-still praying for your fil. Tell dh we're thinking of you all.

Kerc-cute videos. Chai bread is a few pages back on the last thread. Posted by Jenlove. Been meaning to ask how is your sister?

pumpkinseed-thinking of your dad too.

monikita-Hugs to you mama. I hope dh can get home soon.

plady-did your dad get the book to bring for you yet?

balancin-don't think run

My ss is great. She is a wonderful poet and sent me some yummy bars of soap with felted wool around them. A built in washcloth. Wish I was so creative. Thanks.

Got out for a 3.1 mile run. The weather is so nice here. 50 and sunny. I got in my situps and 20 pushups today. Off to shower and take Kelsy to her gymnastics meet. Dedicated my run today to all of our parents-sick or deceased. My mom, grnmtns dad, geos fil, pumpkins dad, mamabeths dad, runningmommys mom, shantis mom, eks mom, rebs dad. Have a great evening everyone. Happy running.

Patti
#64 of 901 Old 03-02-2007, 06:26 PM

okay, better news. Dad is improving. he's off most of the monitors and stuff and will probably be out of the ICU tomorrow when they stop the nitroglycerin drip that they're giving him for his blood pressure. It sounds like he's doing okay. He doesn't feel that awful, just awfully tired after not sleeping for several nights. He should be able to use a phone by tomorrow morning, and I think I'll talk to him and see if he wants me to come down. I just don't want to be in the way and he's got a squad of hoverers already.

Thank you for the offer Patti Ann and thanks to everyone here for all the thoughts, it really is helping me get through this.

Unless something changes for the worse, I'll probably stay up here and save the trip for when he's feeling better and can enjoy some time with his grandson.
#65 of 901 Old 03-02-2007, 06:31 PM

hey y'all, just subbing real quick. mandy, I'm so glad he's doing better. thanks for running for the parents who have gone, Patti. if anybody watches Gray's Anatomy they had this line when o'malley's dad died when he says, "I don't know how to function in a world without him" and Christina says, "yeah, that never really changes." so painful and so true. glad we've got each other to empathize.

on a different note, I am not likely to run until I have recovered from this @#$% sale that I agreed to do : major heavy lifting, decision making, and diplomacy, all in the same day. : relatively small problems, yes, but I am still tired. take care mamas.
#66 of 901 Old 03-02-2007, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Thank you Patti

I decided to scrap the soup - it might have ben okay but it smelled yucky so I ditched it.:

My favourite aunt is here for a couple of days and it is wonderful

I feel lucky to have power - the town next to us is out and may be all weekend. I managed to get some groceries so we are all set, whatever comes.

to everyone
#67 of 901 Old 03-02-2007, 07:01 PM

Hugs indeed, ladies.

My cold is worse, my head is pounding...I shoveled the other place and now have to shovel here before we do barn chores. I thought I might take the kids out for dinner...but now it's snowing again, and not a little, so maybe we'll just snuggle up and read books tonight. I brought some work stuff home in case I have a few hours this weekend, but no pressure.

I need to run, and I'll dedicate it to my little brother...he's doing well since the bridge collapse a few months ago, but he still can't work. Had surgery on his foot today. Good reminder that just being able to run is a blessing. Even when we don't always feel like it is. So yes, I need to run, but all the shoveling is wearing me out and keeping me sore, so I am not sure exactly when I will run.

But hugs nonetheless, and I hope stress-free weekends for all. I want to do some special ss hunting this weekend, for one more package.
#68 of 901 Old 03-02-2007, 07:03 PM

patti, thank you so much!! that means a LOT to me (and my mom!)
#69 of 901 Old 03-02-2007, 07:18 PM

This group of women is truly an inspiration. I never fathomed years ago that I could find a group of women so totally awesome.

So, I'm afraid my 2nd package hasn't arrived yet....urgh. I hope it gets there soon. I"m trying to get together a third package. It's not coming together as well. I'm struggling to be creative. Trying to think of what my person may like. I wish I could think of something homemade to make her. I love doing that.

Dd has worked on a book ALL afternoon! Seriously. She has drawn about 15 pages copying this book that she likes to make her own book. Then in her words she's going to make the cover, glue it together and have her own book. But it has to dry. I cannot believe how persistent she's been. Amazing. I hope it doesn't bite us in the ass later when she realizes she hasn't played with us...
#70 of 901 Old 03-02-2007, 08:16 PM

Page 4 already????....I haven't read anything yet...I'll be back.
#71 of 901 Old 03-02-2007, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thank you again for all the support, thoughts, emails, pms.... It means so much.

I talked to DH more this evening. My FIL had a detailed MRI this morning.

Maybe TMI for some:
They found that all the basic functioning of his brain is ok, so in the next day or so they will reduce the seditive periodically (or off and on??) to see if he will wake up. However, it seems as though he requires a shunt in his brain to keep the pressure low enough, and the neurosugen didn't think he would likely way up. It will be a 2-4 day process to see if anything happens.
It was a single car accident where the car flipped. I think Phil's worst fear was that my FIL had hurt someone else, so at least they have that comfort.
/TMI

I asked Phil how his mom is doing, and he said that "she's glad she's got us {DH&BIL} here." So, DH will be there for the duration, at least through next Monday (a week and a half). Before I got in contact with DH, I called my parents. They were camping until this morning. My mom said they could come right out if I needed help. So after I got off the phone with DH, I asked them to come out. Karen and I can use the distraction.

To my SS: I haven't sent anything recently. I'd gotten a wonderful, 71% cocao, fair trade chocolate bar for you. I ate it yesterday : I've got one great idea, so at least I'll go out with a bang.
#72 of 901 Old 03-02-2007, 08:39 PM

Mandy, I'm so glad to see your dad is improving. Please keep us updated.
#73 of 901 Old 03-02-2007, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
To my SS: I haven't sent anything recently. I'd gotten a wonderful, 71% cocao, fair trade chocolate bar for you. I ate it yesterday : I've got one great idea, so at least I'll go out with a bang.
Honey, you deserved that chocolate. What a stressful time for all of you. Still keeping FIL in our prayers. How's your dh holding up?

Jo-sending lots of get well vibes to you

I'm just back from 4.2. It was tough. I realized I really, really like to run with someone. I used to enjoy the time to myself, but at this point I need someone to chat with and keep me going. SIL is a nurse and works nights so it's hard for us to do more than just our Tuesday runs. I sure look forward to those, though.

There are hundreds of Girl Scout Cookies on my dining room table. I.will.not.eat.them.

I'm starving-gotta go scrounge up something for dinner...

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#74 of 901 Old 03-02-2007, 08:58 PM

mandy and geo, thanks for posting and updating. I've been thinking about the running moms all day.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#75 of 901 Old 03-02-2007, 10:09 PM

Subbing.
Back later to catch up on reading.....
#76 of 901 Old 03-02-2007, 11:07 PM

Hello and mucho

Mandy and Geo, thank you so much for the updates. Mandy, it sounds good! Geo, I still don't understand how it is for your FIL. I was relieved to see that his brain is functioning...isn't that good? So hard!!

RM, your ds1 is such a sweetheart! And what a way with words! Your post made me feel better about taking today off. My gut said that 16 miles on Sunday would go better if I didn't run 4 today. I may use my new Total Gym thingie, but I may not. Dh and I have been offered a night out by my mom. We just returned from a day in the big city at appts. and shopping after leaving at 7am, so hmmmm...I think I'll probably just go out.

Monica, I hope dh made it home early!!! I hope you get some good rest tonight!

So much more to say, but too little time tonight...

#77 of 901 Old 03-03-2007, 12:06 AM

chai bread in the oven! mmm smells yummy. i think i won't do the icing this time because i ran out of vanilla when making the bread.

mandy - good to hear your dad will be out of the icu soon, what a relief

geo - still putting good thoughts out there. is your dh in portland, OR? you know i know a lot of wonderful mdc mamas out there who would be happy to lend a helping hand if needed. even if you head out that way and want to find a playdate for your kids for some relief. pm me if i can help.

monikita -ooh that sounds awful hope you start to feel better soon

going to set the alarm for a run tomorrow. i was in a crazy decluttering mode today, which was great, but i missed out on some nice weather outside.

oh and we went to the vet today! baby piggies are BOYS! uh oh, that means we really need to send them back or find them a home. apparently guinea pigs are non-discriminatory when choosing a love-mate so the mom is at risk. :

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#78 of 901 Old 03-03-2007, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppywise View Post
geo - still putting good thoughts out there. is your dh in portland, OR? you know i know a lot of wonderful mdc mamas out there who would be happy to lend a helping hand if needed. even if you head out that way and want to find a playdate for your kids for some relief. pm me if i can help.
Thanks, poppy. We have a half dozen college friends in the area as well, one couple has a son a week younger than DS. Phil also has three cousins that all have kids that are baby through preschool, so I think we're ok. If I need something, though, I'll be sure to ask.

HBM ~ Thanks for asking about DH. He's the kind of guy that takes care of details in a crisis. Church folks are doing all of that, and I think he's feeling somewhat useless. I'd misunderstood something he said, and I thought he'd said something about the college baseball team accident this morning. He hadn't heard about it, but when I filled him in, it was like it was the thing he now can take care of. We went off to find out what had happened, then he was going to call all the church folks watching out for them to make sure no one mentions it to his mom. Errrr, ok. He needs to take care of something, and that's what he could find.

Cheryl, I understand the functioning that they found was the brain stem -- that's what's in control of making him breathe and such. They're not sure what else will function, but the damage is "extensive." Sorry I'm a little fuzzy on the details -- third hand info taken over a bad cell phone connection with two kids hanging on me.

My parents will be here Monday morning.
#79 of 901 Old 03-03-2007, 12:31 AM

Oh Geo, that is so worrisome. Thank you for explaining. Ugh.

We decided to skip the night on the town in leiu of visiting with our neighbors, so now I'm off...
#80 of 901 Old 03-03-2007, 01:21 AM

Geo ~

Monikita ~ Oh no.. poor mama. I hope that you start feeling better. If I lived closer, I would bring you some hot soup and play with Livi. Take care.

My DH is sick with a bad cold. : My best friend from school got sick on the side of the road today after she warned me to pull over. Poor thing. I have been a little obsessive about washing my hands and I have taken airborne.

Wow, I am glad to hear so much interest in the Chai Bread. It's fine that you posted a link. That's actually posted on a webpage that I began putting together. Eventually it will have a Kid's Corner and Arts and Crafts page and of course more content for parents and more recipes.

How did the Chai bread turn out with chocolate in it?

Yesterday I lifted doing a HIT (high intensity workout). The idea is that you do 1 set of a given exercise until you can't physically do more. Then you have your partner assist with the last 2 reps. It was great. I got a little carried away on the bench and decided to max out (95 pounds).

Tomorrow we are going to spinning and yoga per usual.

Oh.. and my last day in 3rd grade was amazing. I got a box full of teacher stuff (stickers, pencils, etc), a gift card to a teacher store, and a binder with personal letters from each of the kids. Some of them wrote such sweet things about me - "You have a good heart." "You are my best friend." "You always helped me when I needed it." I can always look back to these when I need a reminder about *why* I chose this profession.

Have a good weekend ladies.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#81 of 901 Old 03-03-2007, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy View Post
Honey, you deserved that chocolate.
: Geo, thank you for the updates. I'm glad your parents are going to be there soon. I just can't wrap my head around what this must be like for your family.

I am a little confused though about the connection w/ the baseball team bus accident. They were from Ohio, but your ILs are in OR?

Monikita, healing vibes your way.

Mandy, yay for more good news about your dad.

Patti, you are so sweet. Thank you for dedicating your run.

BBM, your DD's book project sounds neat. I bet it was fun to watch her working on it.

We are back from our night out. We had the absolute best pizza and then went to Krispy Kreme for dessert. We ended up staying there a little while watching them make the doughnuts. Then we went bowling. I don't smell too great (cigarette smoke) but the whole evening was fun. Oh yeah and I did go to the gym beforehand... did 6 400s instead of the 7 I was supposed to do, but I was running out of time. As it was I didn't feel too good afterwards. I used to like intervals, but so far in this training schedule they make me want to hurl. At least it wore off in time for me to enjoy that yummy yummy pizza (fresh mozzarella, proscuitto, roasted red peppers, and mushrooms, Sicilian style ).

The next recipe I plan to try - and I want to start it tomorrow - is the no knead bread.

Good night!

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#82 of 901 Old 03-03-2007, 03:15 AM

JenLove, I'm so glad your last day was such a good one!!

eksmom, I have to start a loaf of that bread tomorrow, too! I promised a dear 88 yo woman that I'd make her a loaf.
#83 of 901 Old 03-03-2007, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
I am a little confused though about the connection w/ the baseball team bus accident. They were from Ohio, but your ILs are in OR?
My husband's family is Mennonite, and while there are a lot of Mennonites in this country, my in-laws seem to know all of them. The college is a Mennonite college, and that's my concern -- just that someone they know has a kid that goes there. That's all.
#84 of 901 Old 03-03-2007, 12:17 PM

oh..eksmom..Krispy Kreme is the best!

I haven't made chai bread yet, but I want to make that crock pot chocolate cake. It's ready to go, just waiting for me to mix up.

Geo..

MonikitaUT..it's tough being sick and having to take care of someone else when you can't even take care of yourself. Be easy on yourself.

grnmtnmama..I'm glad your Dad is better.

ijooj..hope you feel better soon.

Shanti..I read part of your post "I feel lucky to have power" and I was like ???.. before I read the rest of the sentence!!! It was funny.

HBM...I really will run with you. I'm might slow you down, but I do love to talk!

CherylAnn..how was your night out?

Ok..people are calling for me..but I'm going to sneak out for a run as soon as I can!
#85 of 901 Old 03-03-2007, 12:30 PM

Hey kids.
Libby is at her grandparents' house for the whole weekend for the first time ever...and I miss her. We just have Amelia here, which is super cool for her, because she gets our undivided attention for a change.
As as added bonus.....she sleeps until 8 so we get an extra two hours of sleep when our early riser is gone
Woke up at 8 not to her cry, but to the doorbell, which freaked us out a bit. It was FedEx delivering my application for the job I'm after!

Amelia and I are going out to the farm to hang with Auntie Jo this afternoon....and i have a little surprise for her. I hope she likes it!!!! I'll show you after I give it to her.

I'm going to attempt to run 14 miles by myself tomorrow. Any tips, anyone? I'll have my iPod, and I have the playlist I made for my half marathon last Fall... that will keep me busy for awhile... but still, any tips?

Hang in there Monica...how are you?
Geo and Grnmtnmama....My heart is breaking for you guys and the stress you're going through. I pray that your loved ones improve.
#86 of 901 Old 03-03-2007, 01:48 PM

Thanks for all the kind words, y'all. I'm hanging in. DH called and caught me bawling, and said "I'm on my way." This is the worst cold I've had in many years, but as long as I'm constantly on ibuprofen and a decongestant it is tolerable. DD is still pretty sick, too. This one is just a whopper. I pray DH doesn't get it.

I loved the chai bread. I finished it off in about 36 hours. :

Eks - Happy anniversary!!

Geo - Thanks for the update on FIL. Your family is in my prayers. I had to ask DH what Mennonites are. We don't have any in Utah. DH had a friend who went to that college that the bus of kids was from. I am so sad for their families.

Mandy - How is your dad doing today?

DH is pretty sad that he has a sick wife and daughter to take care of when there is 6' of fresh powder in the mountains with a blue sky full of sunshine. I told him he could go ski, in between moans while lying on the couch. He didn't even bother answering me.

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#87 of 901 Old 03-03-2007, 01:52 PM

cReb, woohoo on the app!!! I hope you have fun with 1jooj today. Can't wait to see the surprise. As far as advice goes? I would want to look to YOU! So, I'm interested to read what others tell you.

I bought a waistband thingie that holds a water bottle yesterday. Dh had been to the PT and had been sent to our big town's (not the town we live in) new running store for shoes. She tried several on him and then sent him back to the PT with 3 pairs and some orange superfeet. Then the PT had him try on each pair and run on the TM for a few minutes. I went to that part of the appt to say hi to the PT cause he's mine, too, and he described to me what he saw as Fletcher ran. It was very cool and fascinating!! Made me think of Megs and wonder what it might be like to be a PT. I have an appt. on Monday to see if he can give me any new info on this hip and foot.

Mommabelle, thanks for asking! We walked two doors down to our neighbor/friends house and chatted and played a derivation of scrabble called DING. It was nice and quiet and fun. I couldn't make a decision. I mentioned that when they asked if I wanted tea or wine. One friend asked, "What's your sign?" I said, "Taurus." And he exlaimed, "Us, too!! We haven't be able to make a decision all evening!" They were even starting to get on each others' nerves about it until Fletcher made some decisions for all of us when he called to tell them, "We're coming over with a game." Kind of funny.

Monica, what a sweet dh!

Oliver was hit with a strong cold yesterday. He spent the night in our bed, coughing, sniffling, etc. I hope I don't get it! It feels like it has been years since I've had a real cold...more than something brief and painless.
#88 of 901 Old 03-03-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonikitaUT View Post
I had to ask DH what Mennonites are.
rotflmao
Of course, I have to admit now that I went to the library to look it up after I'd been dating Phil a while. I tried the internet first, but I couldn't find anything using lynx. Ahhh, the days before Netscape/yahoo/google/any internet company at all...

I'm a little ticked off at the universe today -- I was planning to pass the day at the park. It's snowing. : <--- but with flakes.
#89 of 901 Old 03-03-2007, 02:06 PM

Just read my email. Janessa rocks. We'll be passing the rest of t he afternoon there -- after E's nap.
#90 of 901 Old 03-03-2007, 02:29 PM

First chance I've had to post, but...

Wendy, you have been on my mind and your whole family and IL family has been in my thoughts and prayers. My mom had a traumatic head injury from a riding accident a few years ago and I know how it turned our family upside down. Sending your and strength vibes

Mandy, thinking about you too! thoughts and prayers to your family!

I can't get that bus accident off my head either, it is surreal, but I used to live about a mile from that exit when I was in college...

Monica, Jo, all the sickies, healing vibes your way!

CherylAnn, I'd love to hear your review on your waist water belt. DH has one that bangs around too much on my waist, but I'd like to get one before summer hits...

Eks - krispy kreme, that is all I have to say

Just finished 3 miles, am drinking a very good recipe of Tangerine EmergenC+True Lime from my thoughtful SS. Now, we are on our way to the bday party for DCP's DS, all the other kids she keeps are going, they're about Nora's age, so it should be fun, although it is at ChuckE Cheese, which I've never been to before, I'm a little scared of the mouse :

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page