Dingos after the March Hare! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 901 Old 03-04-2007, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
cherylann~I'm interested to read that article you linked. I've never heard of such a thing. everything that I read has stated that everyone's body, no matter how elite will run out of glycogen stores at some point during a LR and need fuel. thanks for the interesting read.

drjen~wow what a week you have had!! I did get your email, thank you so much!! I've been wanting to respond, but didnt' have the time yet (dh takes the computer for school when he is home). I really appreciated your input and advice on both isssued and ended up with more questions on anatomy for me after your helpful suggestions. would you be up for cervix talk now??

chelsea~been really wanting to tell you "DON'T GIVE UP!!" We need you!!! I know it has been tough to get in the work outs the way that you want, but you can still do this!!!! I think all four of us have had struggles this time with our training and things going the way we pictured, fitting everythign in with work, family, life. We are all in the same boat and it will be so awesome to run this together and know that we overcame all of our challenges!! I'd love to hear about the "dogs" that got you through 6.5 miles!! whoo hooo way to go!!!

poppy~keep thinking of your little babies. we birthed 16 fish by surprise this last week, and everytime I see them I think of you.

calicocj~thanks!

trying to decide to go to the grocery store before everyone else does, or fit in my 6 to 7 easy miles first?? hmmm.....I'll decide after another cup of coffee. Woke up to dh giving me a massage on my legs, back, and si joint. ahhhh...so thoughtful. Then all three kids snuggled in one queen bed with us all smiling and happy. sweet, sweet times.
#122 of 901 Old 03-04-2007, 11:04 AM

i had an awesome run this morning! i pushed myself further and finally made it past my usual route!

i had some phlegm and am wondering...are y'all good at spitting on the run? i am really bad at it. i look like this if i try to spit i suppose it just takes practice but i am too bad at it to even want to attempt practicing.

RM- wow 16 fish? that's a lot! the little babes are doing well and they're nursing away and playing, very cute.

jo - do we get to see a photo of the new haircut on your blog soon?

drjen - i don't know how you do it, honestly. i am in awe of your ability to stay awake and function!

cherylann - i read your blog about the two women who protested. very inspiring. i'm going to try and read up more about it. whatever happened to the wal-mart debate?

time to clean, declutter, grade exams and grocery shop!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#123 of 901 Old 03-04-2007, 11:26 AM

We're skipping church this morning b/c there's a marathon going through town and we're on the opposite side from church. I thought about walking/running up there to watch, but it's COLD! We had a lovely day yesterday delivering Girl Scout cookies to my grandparents, ILs and my mom. : My grandfather was having a good day and recognized us and even said 4-5 words.
I'm hoping to get a good run in this afternoon. Mamabeth, are you recovered enough from the consignment sale to come with me? :

Geo, Mandy and Pumpkinseed- Thinking of all of you and your families.

Is anyone else following Kathryn's ordeal with her baby Lily? It is just heartbreaking.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#124 of 901 Old 03-04-2007, 11:28 AM

psssst - to my secret sprinter...next time you include such yumminess such as homemade granola, include the recipe! It's so good! My secret sprinter also sent my favorite thing in the whole world, TEA. Thank you so much, it's so nice to get a little pick-me-up in the midst of a tough week.

Poppy - spitting takes practice. keep at it, it's a good skill to have. be confident and go for it, and in no time at all you'll be a champ. apparently it's spring everywhere else but here, the online bike shop is picking up and i'll be updated the colors for Spring!

Planning on a 9 mile run this afternoon.
#125 of 901 Old 03-04-2007, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Glad to know I'm not the only one who can't spit! I made it the extra mile this morning and didn't want to die, quit, fall over, throw up, or otherwise disgrace myself. Felt pretty good, actually. Now off to feed the horses so I can ride later this morning.
#126 of 901 Old 03-04-2007, 12:58 PM

3 sunny but cold miles for me today. I'm so done with snow.

Geo- I would be happy to chat about the Cols Men Church. We really liked it there. I don't actually know how to PM someone but my guess is if you PM me, it will somehow alert me and then it will be obvious to me how to respond.
#127 of 901 Old 03-04-2007, 01:04 PM

Allright, I'm getting geared up to go do my long run when Chris gets back from shoveling the other house. I'm nervous about it and am scared I'll be calling Chris at 10 miles begging him to come and pick me up. He told me that he'll be sure to leave his phone off for me to be sure that doesn't happen. It's just so far to go by myself....and my stomach isn't feeling very good (already took two Immodium....) and still have the headache that's been around for about a week now.

Chris' mom called and asked about the car seat. Chris left it at the sitter's (the best in-home daycare ever...but.....) and asked that they help his mom install it before she left with Libby. Well, the woman who put it in is the newest one (actually is the daycare provider's lesbian lover and newest member of the team at the daycare) and used three seatbelts to install it... obviously not right. It's a freakin' booster seat that just sits on the car's seat and the shoulder belt simply goes over/through it and into the buckle. So, Libby's been riding around incorrectly for two days. : Thank God she called and asked Chris if it really should use 3 seatbelts before driving her back home (1.5 hour ride).

wish me luck on the solo long run. eeeeeeeek
#128 of 901 Old 03-04-2007, 01:47 PM

RM, what a great way to wake up!

Poppy, WTG on the good run! I'm not a spitter...I'm a swallower. (Please, oh please don't take that out of context! ) The Wal-Mart situation is so complicated. The judge who seemed so much in favor of the group against WM because of the way it was done, seemed to completely change her tune at the last hearing. It was bizarre. She kept putting it all back in the lap of the city to get figured out and the city kept ignoring her orders. I'm not saying that I think she was paid off or anything, but I think she got some pressure from somewhere. It was just too bizarre of a switch. The folks who have been leading the battle are somewhat relieved. They were the scapegoats for those of us who were only willing to give a little money and write a letter or two. It's really been a rough time for their families. And I have to admit that while I won't shop there, I have let go of the fight. The damage will become evident soon enough.

HBM, no! Is that on another board here at MDC?

GrnMtMama, have a great run this afternoon! Let us know how things are going.

CalicoKatt, WTG! We are so much more capable than we realize, no?

jgmommo, if you click on her username that should take you to a place where you can send a private message. Good luck!

cReb, you can do it! How many miles this week? Do you have music? I won't be leaving for mine for a couple more hours, or I'd do a virtual run with you.

I'm trying to figure out how to carry enough gatorade (I'm trying to learn to like the stuff). I have the new carrier for 16 oz. but should probably have at least 48 oz. during this run. So I might carry 32 in my hand and drop the bottle to retrieve later. I'll have a big bottle in one hand and my iPod in the other!

Tonight we are going to a little ceremony for our friends that I mentioned here a week or so ago. Thier little baby is at 12 weeks right now with cystic hygroma. The tests showed that the baby had Down Sydrome and they were going to keep it, but then they learned of all kinds of other issues, too. So, tomorrow they are having the procedure. I can't even call it what it is...to me, they are mercifully letting the baby go. It probably wouldn't have made it to term and would not live after birth according to the test results...very profound physical and chromosonal issues. It's so heart-breaking. The cool thing is that being in a small town, the doctors who are doing the procedure are both close women friends in our circle, so even that will have a feeling of ceremony and love and respect for the life of this little baby. If I were a lightening speed knitter I would have knitted my friend a clapotis in dark reds and blacks and greys (colors she wears a lot) to wrap around her like a hug. But I had neither the time, nor the yarn. But, I will be knitting her one as soon as I find the right yarn.
#129 of 901 Old 03-04-2007, 01:54 PM

Reb - Don't worry, just run! You can do it, sistah! If you start feeling worrisome around mile ten, just tell yourself "Ah, he**, what is another mile?" and run just one more. Repeat 4 times. I'll be thinking of you: the strong woman doing her LR alone with her beautiful smile; while I'm sitting here choking on phlegm and knitting my second sock.

CherylAnn - How sad for your friend. : I can't imagine being in her situation. It is heartbreaking.

I miss running. Must get well so I can run.

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#130 of 901 Old 03-04-2007, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Hi mamas,

I've been trying to keep up but haven't had time to post. What a lot of seriously intense emotional stuff happening here!

CherylAnn - and for your friends, what a sad sad decision to have to make! I hope they find peace with the support of their friends.

Geo, Pumpkinseed, Mandy - thinking of you mamas and your families.

Re: Spitting (CherylAnn almost too tempting) if you can roll your tounge I find that it creates a nice barrel to get some distance with (by which I mean enough distance so it doesn't dribble down my front). Also, always spit with the wind!

Okay, it's not running but I'm going to go to the track with dh ad walk, I cannot bear another day of inactivity!!! And I notice a very clear connection between not exercising and an increase in the insistency of my sweet-tooth! Not good. I don't want to gain all my pregnancy weight this month!

Mamas, I am thinking of you all and sending out . I'll try to come back later and really catch up.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#131 of 901 Old 03-04-2007, 02:25 PM

Thanks, ladies I'm running 14, and leaving within a half hour or so. Wish me luck, and I'll so just as you say, Monica. Except I'll be choking on phlegm, too....(love that word).... and I'll try and spit without it spattering my left shoulder with green and yellow gunk.
Yep, I'll have my iPod and the mix I made for myself for the half marathon in September.
Virtual running with CherylAnn! Whoopieeeeeee!!!!!!!!! Go slow, my dear....I'm going to crawl on all fours for most of it.
#132 of 901 Old 03-04-2007, 03:12 PM

Okay, Reb, "see" you out there!

Thanks for the 's
#133 of 901 Old 03-04-2007, 03:27 PM

I forgot to say thank you to Plady for cheering me on. I didn't run immediately but your encouragement made me seize the first opportunity I had and JUST DO IT.

Thanks to you too RM. DrJen, big hugs about the not running for a week--BEEN THERE! I am just trying to hang onto my LRs as best I can thinking that is the most important thing to do before the half. My goal is 3 10s and one 12 before the race and I know I can do it. Last night at the end I felt awesome.

Modmom--you and your DH are doing the shamrock shuffle? I am debating whether to do it myself, I hate crowded races but the Indy Mini will be one and I need more practice dodging people so I should probably not let that stop me from doing the shuffle.

calicokatt--congrats on your longer run! If i eat in the morning before I run, I eat cereal w/ soymilk at least an hour before I go, (maybe soymilk or regular milk if you do dairy would spice up your oatmeal?) and unless I am out for more than 2 hrs don't bother with anything while I run. In the summer I will sip from fountains and I love gatorade endurance formula when I get home, but while visiting my ILs I just used diluted applesauce with plain table salt shaken into it (it sounds gross but it tasted great after almost 9 miles. ) I would think a banana would be about perfect pre-run food for you if your body will tolerate it and as far as on-the-run nutrition, maybe fruit leather? I don't think you *need* the simple-carb-engineered-food unless your body has trouble with the natural stuff and it sounds like your body goes the other direction.

Good luck to everyone doing their LRs today. I discovered the one good thing about lonely dark cold runs is that I can sing out loud and not care if anyone hears me.

Oh and I can spit, and I've also gotten scarily good at clearing my nose without tissue or wiping. I have completely revamped my idea about what Santa was doing with his finger laid beside his nose in The Night Before Christmas, however.

Must go move my tired, AF-y body, 'cause I know that's the quickest way to recover...
#134 of 901 Old 03-04-2007, 03:44 PM

You know what I love about this thread? We aren't meant to be doing it all alone. Duh, I know, but it really helps to know you guys are there.

CherylAnn, as unfortunate as your dear friend is, she sure is lucky to have an understanding and loving circle of friends. Not all people offer support in such heart-wrenching circumstances.

Poppy, I'm sure a pic will show up one of these days. And on spitting, I grew up on a farm, with brothers...I could spit waaaay before I ever ran long enough to need to.

SS, thank you for the dee-lishious looking recipes. Spinach and lentil sounds so good to me today.

I'm back. Not all the way back, but about 2/3. I ran 10 in under 100 minutes today...could I have run 14? Who knows, but I had to save some for shoveling. Off now to clean up the other place for today's open house. My dear sister has my kids for the day. can I have a hallelujah?
#135 of 901 Old 03-04-2007, 03:46 PM

only a sec, love and prayers to all.
#136 of 901 Old 03-04-2007, 06:01 PM

6 miles felt horrible but it's done lol
#137 of 901 Old 03-04-2007, 06:15 PM

Just back from 4.67! My longest post partum run so far! Thank goodness I have Mamabeth and stopping at red lights to help me.

I'm off to shower, much to the relief of my whole family (well, minus the baby who digs the "salt lick" )

#138 of 901 Old 03-04-2007, 06:26 PM

<-- that was about how I ran my 14...I ran it at an 11:00 pace. I did it (I just really like the 'fro....no meaning there, if you were wondering). People and businesses (!!!!!!) do not shovel, though I ran in the street as much as possible, but in some areas I had to use the sidewalks. That meant I would run run run run, tip toe tiptoe tiptoe tiptoe, run run, tiptoe tiptoe tiptoe, run the whole time. Even so I nearly fell several times. We had all that snow, then ice, so it's a mess out there. the wind was strong, and in some spots it was actually blowing me to the side.
I had to stop at my lovely mother's place to drop off a check at mile 9.5, out in the country. MAN was it hard to start back up again after ten minutes inside not moving.
I did it nowhere near as fast as Jo did her 10, but I managed 14 tough icy and WINDY miles on my own. Well, just me and CherylAnn, I mean
#139 of 901 Old 03-04-2007, 06:29 PM

Hi. Not sure if this is the right group to post in. I started the Couch to 5K program from coolrunning.com in preparation for the Army Ten Miler in Oct. in Washington D.C. Though, we are still not sure if I will be able to actually run it since we need to find someone to watch the kiddos if we all make the trip out there (live in OH but we lived outside D.C. for 2 yrs).

This past Friday I started week 2 of the workouts. It was a bit rough. I am not a runner but an ex-swimmer who used more arms than legs so I hurt a bit. I am also trying to get rid of the last few baby pounds.

Any advice for a new runner? Thanks.

Smiles,
Lisa Marie

~Lisa Marie~ Married 08/03, Mama to 2 Fall Princes '04 :, '06 CBAC & :
Late May '09 Princess VBA2C success :
#140 of 901 Old 03-04-2007, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunCB View Post
Hi. Not sure if this is the right group to post in. I started the Couch to 5K program from coolrunning.com in preparation for the Army Ten Miler in Oct. in Washington D.C. Though, we are still not sure if I will be able to actually run it since we need to find someone to watch the kiddos if we all make the trip out there (live in OH but we lived outside D.C. for 2 yrs).

This past Friday I started week 2 of the workouts. It was a bit rough. I am not a runner but an ex-swimmer who used more arms than legs so I hurt a bit. I am also trying to get rid of the last few baby pounds.

Any advice for a new runner? Thanks.

Smiles,
Lisa Marie
Hi Lisa I'm in Ohio too. I did the C25K program last august and am now getting ready to do my first 10K in a few weeks

My advice is to run slowly Its much more enjoyable when I figured out to just slow down and go the slow slow slow speed my body needed. But then I'm needing to loose a tonne of weight so if your already in shape things might be different for you
#141 of 901 Old 03-04-2007, 07:13 PM

NK bread is done. Can't wait to cut into it. Pics & details on Flickr - EK is sleeping on me right now. :

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#142 of 901 Old 03-04-2007, 07:35 PM

I just took my post LR shower and I think I wore all of the nubs off of the nubby massaging soap that my SS sent me NO, not there...on my quads and glutes!!!! Dirty girls.

And WELCOME Lisa!!! You bet it's the place for you! Use us for all of the support you need to stick with it!!
#143 of 901 Old 03-04-2007, 07:37 PM

Hi Lisa Marie! This is a GREAT place for advice, support and a general running sisterhood. . There are several mamas on here that have done C25K. My cousin does the Army 10 Miler every year and loves it! You should have no problem being good and ready by October.

#144 of 901 Old 03-04-2007, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRebRun View Post
I just took my post LR shower and I think I wore all of the nubs off of the nubby massaging soap that my SS sent me NO, not there...on my quads and glutes!!!! Dirty girls.

#145 of 901 Old 03-04-2007, 09:01 PM

Is it something I'm doing wrong??? There have been 4-5 instances where after a new distance or a harder (even if it's a distance I've done before some runs just feel harder) run I end up throwing up and with a migraine within an hour of finishing and sometimes before I finish.

I drink a tonne of water min of 64 oz am definitely not the best eater but am really trying. We eat a lot of basic foods, veggies are my weakness I'll only eat them raw and the only green I like is salad greens though I pick spinach or spring mix anything but iceburg Adding that I try and make up for my pickyness by adding a green suppliment from TJ, a multivitamin, EPO, and flax seed oil.

Migraines are a normal part of my life and have been since I was 5 or younger so it may just be a coidincidence but if there is something I'm doing wrong I'd love to fix it. For the most part running/eating better has decreased the frequency that I was suffering through but these post run onese are horrible much more intense then normal and my normal tricks do not touch them.

Sorry if this is rambling lol I'm going back to laying down.
#146 of 901 Old 03-04-2007, 09:37 PM

that sounds horrible, janessa! it is possible you are drinking too much water? i know the women on here know more than i do on the subject, but too much water can be dangerous.

here is an interesting article from runner's world. there is a special mention on page 3 about hyponatremia [low sodium] and women

rw article
hope you feel better!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#147 of 901 Old 03-04-2007, 09:41 PM

I was in the old neighborhood today, cleaning for the open house...and saw a few police cars all parked at the nursery across the street (like plant store nursery). Figured something was going on, but there was no radio buzzing, in fact I saw no officers for the three cars.

: Then I came home to two messages from neighbors. An elderly couple, dear neighbors of ours, were found dead in their home today. No answers, but nothing apparently violent or anything like that. Just...feeling a loss.
#148 of 901 Old 03-04-2007, 09:44 PM

Janessa - I get ocular migraines (I lose my vision like some people do before a migraine, but 99% of the time don't get the actual headache pain - but it does make me incredibly nauseous.) sometimes when I run long, or especially hard. The only thing I could suggest is to add more salt before & during your run. I don't know if it will help, but it might. Some days I can push it hard and be just fine afterwards.. and other days I'm running easy but long and I'll end up getting one.

I got one at mile 10 while running my marathon. I also got diarrhea at that point. The only thing that helped was staring at the ground and my feet moving and repeating affirmations like a cadence with every step. Mind over body. If I hadn't had those 2 problems my finish time would have been drastically faster.

I wish I had better ideas for you.

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#149 of 901 Old 03-04-2007, 09:50 PM

Janessa, I think you might be drinking too much water. Your symptoms sound like hyponatremia, where your sodium levels get too low because there is too much water in your system. I have an IRL friend with a tendency toward this, so she always drinks a sport drink instead of water when she runs...before, during, and after.

eks, your bread looks incredible!!!

Welcome, Lisa Marie!!!

cReb, your long run was a million times better than mine!!

It started too slow for one thing. I don't know why I thought that hanging 2 lbs. of gaterade off my backside was a good idea. It took me a while to get the holder in a comfortable position where it wouldn't bounce. I changed out the 16 oz. bottle for a 32 oz bottle that was a tight fit. Fletcher was going to meet me at mile 11.8 and run the remaining 4.2 miles home. When we measured the distance last night, he told me about 10 miles into the drive (well past the halfway mark) that he started the odometer considerably down the road from our house...maybe .2 miles. I was so shocked. Maybe I'm out of line, but 16 miles is a scary proposition for me. If I'd been driving and forgot to hit the button, I would have turned around right away to get an accurate measurement. An extra .4 miles by the time I get back is a helluva lot more than 16 miles, right? Or am I making too big a deal out of this? Anyway, maybe it's the mild OCD in me, but I had to go the distance we measured for fear of not going far enough if I tried to estimate. So, I had carefully planned out what I would do with my gloves, my iPod, my heavy fanny bottle carrier, and additional gaterade by the fact that my mom would drop him off at 11.8 miles or further. They showed up at about 9.5 miles. I traded one bottle for the smaller one even though the big one wasn't empty because it was in the plan to trade, even though I knew this would short me 8 oz or so. In fact, I even called them to tell them that I was going slower than planned and asked if it would be okay to meet me later. They said yes (my mom wasn't really in a hurry to get to the school...she was just cleaning). So then they drive a bit further and when I get to Fletcher, she's gone and it's only mile 10. He doesn't understand why I'm upset so I just started bawling. I bawled until mile 12. The bottle kept falling out of the holder and I was carrying my thick gloves and the iPod I wasn't using and just fell apart. I was so disturbed that he didn't understand that this was all really delicately planned out. He got mad at me for being upset and then I got mad at him for being so unreasonable about it. It was ugly. Finally, he seemed to understand, or at least he got tired of the argument, so he took my gaterade bottle and offered to carry my iPod. I just feel like I made a mistake by not being 100% self-sufficient. I'm choosing to do this training without the support of my friends who are also in training and support each other. So, I should have been self-sufficient. It was a mistake to think that they would follow the plan. I even called to change the time in order to keep my plan working smoothly when I was taking too long. At mile 13, my hip and foot were hurting so badly I had to walk for about half a mile. I spent the last two miles running and walking off and on because I just couldn't keep going. So, it was 16.4 miles and it was lousy. I am so full of self-doubt again. How am I ever going to make it 10 more miles?!? I'm sure the blubbering didn't help my energy levels. Was I just over emotional and tired, or would you guys be upset about this kind of thing, too? Maybe I should go the full-disclosure route with my friends and then jump into the support rotation. He just doesn't understand the stress that that kind of run puts on the body. Or am I making too big a deal of this? I took pictures of my feet when I got back. Something funky is definitely going on with my right foot. There was a pressure line across my big toe where I have a bunion. I have an appt. with a PT tomorrow. Maybe he'll recommend different shoes or something. Sorry for the long whiney post. I feel rotten and so sorry for myself and I don't even have PMS or AF to blame for it! Probably I should never have taken this on. With my propensity for depression and anxiety, maybe I'm taking the exercise thing too far and causing damage. It sure has been a great help all these months, though, and I think it has helped keep the depression more at bay. Still...:

I know there are much bigger things going on here and after a good night's sleep I won't be so self-centered. Actually, thinking about the ceremony we are going to in a couple of hours puts things into perspective, too. Thanks for being here, you guys!
#150 of 901 Old 03-04-2007, 09:50 PM

JO...not Will and Karyn, right? I hope not.... was it Mrs P? I'm so sorry. How sad.

Janessa, I have felt extremely barfy all afternoon since my run..slightly better after eating a big dinner. This happens to me most times after long runs, and I think it's fairly common. I also deal with the runners' trots afterwards, so I think it's something metabolic that causes both. The migraine really sucks, though!!!!!!

Cross posted with you CherylAnn.....
Sorry that your run sucked so bad. I get VERY anal about distances, too, so I hear you there. Ask Jo. I have made her run around a parking lot several times before going in for coffee, just to hit EXACTLY the distance we'd planned (ND, were you there for that OCD episode?) You will totally train up the full distance. There is always a bad long run here and there that really breaks your spirit for a while. We all have them. And then the next week you breeze through it without any issues. I think it's part of the 'emotional' side of training for the big marathon beast. What did you mean about 'full disclosure' with your friends? i'm sorry if I missed that..... Hang in there, running partner.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page